inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did you sign up for Myspace?

Written By: slim on 07/25/12 at 6:02 pm

Did you get into when it first came out or were you a little late?  I signed up in late '05 and deleted it in early '09.

Subject: Re: When did you sign up for Myspace?

Written By: Inertia on 07/25/12 at 6:42 pm

I signed up in about 2006 or 2007. I resisted signing up for both it and Facebook (I made mine in probably 2008 or 2009) for awhile because I didn't see the point. My Myspace still technically exists but I no longer use it. I look at my Facebook at least once a week.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/25/12 at 6:54 pm

Great topic!

I signed up in about May of 2005, as I was graduating junior high. I remember a lot of kids in my class already had it by then and my friends were pressuring me to get on the bandwagon. It was always a thrill when you would get new comments on your page or on your pictures. I still remember people posting in that tiny newsfeed (what was it called?) "If you comment on my pics and I'll comment back!" How sad and desperate in retrospect ;D

I deleted in spring/summer of '08. By that time, I hadn't been using it regularly for some time, mostly due to the rise of Facebook overtaking it.

Written By: joeman on 07/25/12 at 7:32 pm

I only had Myspace once, and deleted it shortly.  I kept Facebook, however, and still have it to this day.  Before Myspace, I had LiveJournal and DeviantArt.

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/25/12 at 7:43 pm

I have never signed up for Myspace, probably the only one on earth who has never had an account there :( But, I don't plan to anyway lol.

Written By: Inertia on 07/25/12 at 8:58 pm

I only had Myspace once, and deleted it shortly.  I kept Facebook, however, and still have it to this day.  Before Myspace, I had LiveJournal and DeviantArt.

I've had a DeviantArt account since about 2003. XD

Written By: Shiv on 07/25/12 at 10:00 pm

signed up in september 2005, deleted it in september 2007.

Written By: fusefan on 07/26/12 at 1:20 am

I was late for Myspace, Signed up July 31st 2006. I still have it but i haven't logged in there in like 2 years. I joined Facebook in November of 2006 just because I read an article in the newspaper saying that it was better than Myspace, so I thought "Oh what the heck!" and signed up.

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/26/12 at 1:54 am

I signed up like 2008 or 2009. I joined MySpace even after I joined Facebook.  :P

Written By: ExtremeMan8 on 07/26/12 at 1:56 am

MySpace didn't really interest me in 2004-2005 because I was 9-10 years old and I liked MSN and AddictingGames.com more.  ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/26/12 at 3:16 am

MySpace was never widely popular in Germany, so I never had an account.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/26/12 at 6:28 am

Never, because I just never got the point and enjoyed my Web 1.0 enviornment I had readily enjoyed since 1996.

Written By: Starde on 07/26/12 at 7:41 am

Never had one though I knew classmates who had one. In fact, I basically didn't use any social media websites while I was in high school and I graduated in 2009. The first social media website that I did join was Facebook and that was around graduation.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/26/12 at 8:25 am

Never had one though I knew classmates who had one. In fact, I basically didn't use any social media websites while I was in high school and I graduated in 2009. The first social media website that I did join was Facebook and that was around graduation.

I am using facebook since I have started University in 2009.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/26/12 at 10:12 am

I signed up for it in early '05. I still have my account, but I haven't (regularly) logged into it since about late '09/early '10.

Written By: Step-chan on 07/26/12 at 11:57 am

I started a Myspace account in late 2010, but it wasn't to use so much as it was to show support(by friending the account that was trying to get the message out) for getting Dragon Quest 6 released over here.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/26/12 at 12:26 pm

MySpace didn't really interest me in 2004-2005 because I was 9-10 years old and I liked MSN and AddictingGames.com more.  ;D

It was the exact opposite for me. 2004-05 was my senior year, and I guess you could say I was a fairly early adapter to Myspace. I first heard about it from a classmate, and first visited it, in very late 2004, which wasn't long after Myspace actually became a social networking site. I created an account in February 2005 when the site was still fairly small compared to what it would become. As we know, the fall of Myspace was swift, though. The last time I used my account was 2008.

Written By: elr on 07/26/12 at 3:07 pm

I never cared for Myspace.  I always thought it was wierd, self promoting, and there were too many flaws with it.  I had one for awhile, but it got old really quick.

Written By: nally on 07/26/12 at 3:12 pm

Never. I was never interested in it.

However, I have been a Facebook user since June 2009, although in retrospect I wish I'd joined before then.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/26/13 at 8:24 pm

I made a Myspace when I was in 8th Grade in the 2004-2005 school year. I think I signed up in Spring of 2005 towards the end of 8th grade. I used it all through High School.

I created my current Facebook in the summer of 2007 halfway through high school. I didn't start using it heavily until the summer of 2008. I deleted my Myspace in the summer of 2009 after I graduated high school because it changed to a new annoying format and everyone was leaving it for Facebook.

I miss being able to put music in my profile and making my own layout. Myspace was fun before it changed its format and became sucky.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/26/13 at 10:18 pm

I made a Myspace when I was in 8th Grade in the 2004-2005 school year. I think I signed up in Spring of 2005 towards the end of 8th grade. I used it all through High School.

I created my current Facebook in the summer of 2007 halfway through high school. I didn't start using it heavily until the summer of 2008. I deleted my Myspace in the summer of 2009 after I graduated high school because it changed to a new annoying format and everyone was leaving it for Facebook.

I miss being able to put music in my profile and making my own layout. Myspace was fun before it changed it's format and became sucky.

Wow, you and I got both at the same time. I made my MySpace at the end of 8th grade (around May 2005). I used to check it religiously when I was a Freshman/sophomore. I deleted it in Summer 2008 since I stopped using it about a year prior and it almost felt like a stigma to still have it. Now that I think about it, MySpace's fall from grace was really rapid and dramatic.

I made my Facebook in March 2007 (sophomore year). My friend actually forced me to make one, lol. It wasn't super popular among high schoolers at the time but it was getting there (I actually remember college kids resenting the fact that high schoolers were using it since it was supposed to be for college students). Like you, I barely used it though until maybe my senior year in '08/'09

Written By: thenewtattoo on 11/26/13 at 10:39 pm

2003  when it just started

i could have been mid 2004 tho

very hazy memories lol

Written By: Inertia on 11/27/13 at 1:33 am

I don't remember to be honest. I rarely used the website anyway.

Written By: popguru85 on 11/27/13 at 12:16 pm

I created a profile at the end of freshman year of college (sometime in May 2005) and used it religiously. I deleted it after Facebook became my go to social media. I think Myspace was the guinea pig to see if something like Facebook could grow.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/27/13 at 1:01 pm

Never. It was just not popular in Germany. As far as I know there was not even a German version...
We had different social media, but Facbook pushed it away around the turn of the decade.

Written By: warped on 11/27/13 at 3:33 pm

I never heard of MySpace until I came to inthe00s and found out some of the younger ones here were talking about it.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 11/27/13 at 6:07 pm

I never heard of MySpace until I came to inthe00s and found out some of the younger ones here were talking about it.

Myspace was the 1# site beating google in visits in 2006
thats when i think it was its most popular

it was kind insane at the time cuz everyone at highschool was using it.
It was kind of like the hub for teens.

Written By: Howard on 11/27/13 at 7:52 pm

So, What's happened to Myspace? ???

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/27/13 at 9:39 pm

So, What's happened to Myspace? ???

It's a long story, but it's dead.  Murdoch took about an $800M loss on it. 

Reading through the history, wow, it's deader than dead.  I mean, we all knew it was dead, but even I didn't think they'd nuke the entire thing and start over, which presumably resulted in the loss of any users they still had.

Written By: MarioDaDon on 11/27/13 at 10:37 pm

Late 05 , I was in fourth grade and that when everyone in my age bracket at the time were creating accounts at the rapid rate

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/28/13 at 12:51 am

It was some time in 2007, I don't remember when exactly. I was either fifteen or sixteen, and good ol' peer pressure got me to create an account. I had fun with it, though. I remember the first background I used was the head of Jack Skellington, and the second one was of the moon's reflection in water, and my backround music was Claire de Lune by Debussy. I remained active until late in 2008 (or maybe early in 2009) when the great exodus to Facebook began.

Written By: Howard on 11/28/13 at 8:10 am

It's a long story, but it's dead.  Murdoch took about an $800M loss on it. 

Reading through the history, wow, it's deader than dead.  I mean, we all knew it was dead, but even I didn't think they'd nuke the entire thing and start over, which presumably resulted in the loss of any users they still had.

So someone took over the business?  ???

Written By: 80sfan on 11/29/13 at 10:12 pm

2007 or 2008. I don't remember.

Written By: XYkid on 12/02/13 at 8:47 pm

I didn't have one for awhile because of all of the girls getting raped/murdered/etc due to the website, so I figured the site itself was a death trap. However, I later found out that many of those girls were putting their address and phone number in public areas of the site, and that the media only tried to blame the website.
I finally got one in 2007, when I was 13 (though you had to be 14), back in my emo days when places like myspace were littered with that crap.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/09/13 at 2:01 pm

I created mines in 2007 as a Christmas present during my freshman year. I used it for about 3 years, then it was getting boring so I stopped using it in summer 2010 and made a Facebook after during my senior year, which I'm still using to today.

Written By: Ripley on 12/26/13 at 9:25 pm

It was sometime in 2005 when I signed up.  I only had it for maybe 2 years.  I remember how fun it was.  There were only a few people on it that I knew IRL.  I was obsessed with taking the surveys and making a kick ass profile. 

Written By: XYkid on 12/28/13 at 7:49 am

It was sometime in 2005 when I signed up.  I only had it for maybe 2 years.  I remember how fun it was.  There were only a few people on it that I knew IRL.  I was obsessed with taking the surveys and making a kick ass profile.
Same here, I was always customising my profile and taking surveys. I really miss that, I wish we could customise Facebook in the same way.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/28/13 at 9:12 am

Same here, I was always customising my profile and taking surveys. I really miss that, I wish we could customise Facebook in the same way.
I miss making profile layouts and having music playlists. Those are what make Myspace better than Facebook. I also loved seeing how many people looked at my profile. MySpace got glitchy when people had rediculously cluttered profiles. I had dial up internet at that time and I remember it took forever to view some profiles.

Written By: Ripley on 01/01/14 at 1:18 am

I miss making profile layouts and having music playlists. Those are what make Myspace better than Facebook. I also loved seeing how many people looked at my profile. MySpace got glitchy when people had rediculously cluttered profiles. I had dial up internet at that time and I remember it took forever to view some profiles.

Even without dial up it took ages for me  :D

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/01/14 at 1:41 am

2007 or so.  I haven't used since I signed up for Facebook.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...