inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: High School Class of 06 & 07

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/28/12 at 4:57 pm

Anyone notice that the highschool 5 year reunions of  2006 and 2007 no one is showing up?  Everytime i hear about one
less than 15 ppl show up. Now a 10 year reunion would be more suitable but  im finding more and more ppl give 2 sheeshs less
about the 2006 and 2007 highschool era

Subject: Re: High School Class of 06 & 07

Written By: warped on 07/28/12 at 5:12 pm

Anyone notice that the highschool 5 year reunions of  2006 and 2007 no one is showing up?  Everytime i hear about one
less than 15 ppl show up. Now a 10 year reunion would be more suitable but  im finding more and more ppl give 2 sheeshs less

We had a 30-year reunion not long ago, I heard only 11 people showed up. I didn't attend. Lack of interest.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/28/12 at 5:21 pm

We had a 30-year reunion not long ago, I heard only 11 people showed up. I didn't attend. Lack of interest.

what year were you

Written By: Inertia on 07/28/12 at 5:39 pm

I wouldn't see much of a point in going. I went to college over a hundred miles away from my hometown and grew apart from just about everybody I went to school with as a teenager. ;\

I think reunions are kind of a way of sizing up and measuring your life to the next guy anyway so I generally don't like them.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/28/12 at 6:23 pm

I wouldn't see much of a point in going. I went to college over a hundred miles away from my hometown and grew apart from just about everybody I went to school with as a teenager. ;\

I think reunions are kind of a way of sizing up and measuring your life to the next guy anyway so I generally don't like them.

esp in these times

Written By: warped on 07/28/12 at 6:44 pm

what year were you

Written By: Howard on 07/28/12 at 7:35 pm

I graduated in 1992 and I didn't get anything in the mail about any reunion whatsoever.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/28/12 at 9:23 pm

I only graduated 3 years ago in '09 but I'm not even sure if my high school hosts reunions. But I know my cousin, who was class of '01, said she wasn't going to her 10-year last year because with facebook and stuff reunions are no longer necessary.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/29/12 at 3:50 am

...because with facebook and stuff reunions are no longer necessary.

That's actually very sad. In my opinion, people get more superficial since facebook. The distinction between real friends and loose contacts becomes blurred - that's so annoying.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/12 at 6:26 am

That's actually very sad. In my opinion, people get more superficial since facebook. The distinction between real friends and loose contacts becomes blurred - that's so annoying.

They also use Facebook to find people they haven't seen in quite a long time.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/29/12 at 6:47 am

They also use Facebook to find people they haven't seen in quite a long time.

You add them, say 'hello', maybe the other one answers one time and that's it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/29/12 at 9:20 am

In addition to digital content feeling that people have a "good enough" look into their classmates' lives, 5 years is simply too soon since college is much more critical these days, and at five years, you're either just getting settled into the new job, just in graduate school, or even just finished getting your Bachelor's if you take an extra year at college. I myself graduated in 2003 and have absolutely no word on a 10-year reunion that would take place next year. Its very sad how technology kills the romance of many of these social functions.

Written By: Starde on 07/30/12 at 9:15 am

In addition to digital content feeling that people have a "good enough" look into their classmates' lives, 5 years is simply too soon since college is much more critical these days, and at five years, you're either just getting settled into the new job, just in graduate school, or even just finished getting your Bachelor's if you take an extra year at college. I myself graduated in 2003 and have absolutely no word on a 10-year reunion that would take place next year. Its very sad how technology kills the romance of many of these social functions.

That's how I feel about 5 year reunions. I can understand a 10 year reunion, but I think 5 years is too soon. I'm part of the Class of '09 so my 5 year reunion is coming up in about 2 years. I don't know if I'll even bother to attend to be honest. :-\\

Written By: nally on 07/30/12 at 10:38 am

That's how I feel about 5 year reunions. I can understand a 10 year reunion, but I think 5 years is too soon. I'm part of the Class of '09 so my 5 year reunion is coming up in about 2 years. I don't know if I'll even bother to attend to be honest. :-\\

Agreed. 5 years is way too soon. I didn't have one in 2003, nor was I expecting one. Similarly, I won't be expecting a 15 year reunion next year.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/30/12 at 4:36 pm

Agreed. 5 years is way too soon. I didn't have one in 2003, nor was I expecting one. Similarly, I won't be expecting a 15 year reunion next year.

facebook killed it

Written By: nally on 07/30/12 at 6:24 pm

facebook killed it

You think? I wondered if that was the case in 2008, the year of my 10-year reunion. Less than a hundred people showed up to that; this included classmates who brought a guest (such as a spouse or date).

Written By: snozberries on 07/30/12 at 6:28 pm

You add them, say 'hello', maybe the other one answers one time and that's it.

that's not necessarily true. I've connected with many old friends from high school. We do more than say hi to one another. We interact with one another regularly, take an interest in the other's activies/posts and occasionally meet up...  If not for facebook I'd not have seen these people until the reunion, spent a minute feigning interest in the quick catchup....promised to stay in touch and never reached out to them again.  At least now I genuinely interact with them. 

Written By: lovethe80s on 08/20/12 at 7:34 am

I just don't like discovering that my high school sweetheart is now married with a baby already. And some of my classmates have a better life than me, so I don't bother with checking them on Facebook. In addition they were better persons in 9th-10th grade. In 11th and 12th everyone turned into jerks and there were constant verbal fights.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/25/12 at 1:04 pm

I am class of 2007 and I have never heard of a 5 year reunion!

Anyways, I'm curious if most people go to their 10 year reunion at age 27/28 anymore.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/26/12 at 3:35 pm

Anyways, I'm curious if most people go to their 10 year reunion at age 27/28 anymore.

I wouldn't say that social media will cause the downfall of class reunion parties. It's one thing to interact with your high school classmates online and another to actually "reunite" with them in person (hence the whole idea of reunions).

Written By: 80sfan on 08/26/12 at 4:17 pm

I wouldn't say that social media will cause the downfall of class reunion parties. It's one thing to interact with your high school classmates online and another to actually "reunite" with them in person (hence the whole idea of reunions).

I see what you're saying.

Written By: nally on 08/26/12 at 7:46 pm

It doesn't seem that way. When I went to my 10 year reunion in 2008, I was shocked at how few people showed up to it. (I counted 64 altogether, including myself...out of a graduating class of 400+ people.) It seems sad that so many people seem to decline to go to their 10-year reunion. I mean, it's a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.
I definitely plan on attending my 20-year reunion in 2018.

Written By: nally on 08/26/12 at 7:48 pm

Exactly! I like the idea of actually getting together with people in person and interacting with 'em; it's just not the same otherwise (IMO).

Written By: warped on 08/27/12 at 4:30 pm

I've never attended any high school reunion and it's been over 30 years since I graduated. I don't plan on attending any either.

Check for new replies or respond here...