inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did jean shorts go out of style?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/07/12 at 10:44 pm

For men, at least? I wore them pretty much every year of my childhood in the 90s and early '00s, but I can personally admit to wearing them as late as summer 2004. By that time they were pretty much out of style, and I know by the following summer that guys' shorts were pretty much limited to khaki (and athletic-wear too, I guess). It stayed that way until the much later '00s/early '10s when plaid shorts became mainstream. Anyone still wearing jean shorts between the mid '00s through today would have been laughed at, I think. I have a feeling they'll make a comeback eventually though.

Subject: Re: When did jean shorts go out of style?

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 10/11/12 at 12:00 am

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMrbtYkDW9GUBulLKLzQAPWdRF8GGdsMFcGmcomC0YedgH_h6C

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/11/12 at 4:39 pm

Not exactly sure what year this happened, but jean shorts went out of style when young people started derisively referring to them as "jorts."

Written By: bchris02 on 10/14/12 at 12:42 am

I was always late to pick up on trends.  I think 2004 or 2005 was the last time I wore them.  I remember in the early '00s you could still wear them.  Now, jean shorts = redneck.

Cargo pants are also just as out of style.  Cargo shorts are still fine though.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/14/12 at 3:11 am

I think cargo shorts, at least khaki-colored ones, will go out of style soon. Plaid shorts are the new norm....but I don't know how long that will last either. It doesn't strike me as something that will stick for very long, maybe kind of like how acid wash denim had a limited life in the late 80s/early 90s.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/14/12 at 4:07 pm

I still wear them for work when it's hot outside.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/21/12 at 4:05 pm

Are Daisy Dukes back in fashion?

Written By: Mat1991 on 11/21/12 at 9:18 pm

Funny that this topic should come up, because I've been wearing jean shorts up to this year and nobody's said a thing about it. The only reason I don't wear them anymore (or at least for the time being) is because all the ones I own are torn up and thus not suitable to wear in public.

Written By: Ashes Of The Wake on 12/08/12 at 4:21 pm

A lot of girls at my school wear jean shorts (short shorts) but they guys all wear cargos, basketball, or plaid shorts.

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 12/10/12 at 12:01 am

The best jean shorts were the cut-offs you made when your jeans got too many holes in them!

http://img0072.popscreencdn.com/122733469_-jeans-button-high-waist-festival-cut-off-denim-shorts-.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/11/12 at 2:07 pm

The best jean shorts were the cut-offs you made when your jeans got too many holes in them!

http://img0072.popscreencdn.com/122733469_-jeans-button-high-waist-festival-cut-off-denim-shorts-.jpg

I think women still wear them?

Written By: nupur on 12/25/12 at 7:33 pm

As a girl, jean shorts are still appropriate for me. As for cargo pants, I used to wear them all the time in the early 2000's, back when I was in middle school. Cargo pants were my favorite clothing type. Today, I would not dare to wear cargo pants. Only jeans, cords or khakis (sans pockets on the legs).

Check for new replies or respond here...