inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ringtone Rap vs. Electropop

Written By: bchris02 on 10/28/12 at 10:45 pm

Which '00s music fad do you like the best?  Would you rather listen to Lil John or Lady Gaga? 

Subject: Re: Ringtone Rap vs. Electropop

Written By: Ooter on 10/28/12 at 10:47 pm

Neither, they both suck big time.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/29/12 at 5:34 am

Which '00s music fad do you like the best?  Would you rather listen to Lil John or Lady Gaga?

I would rather listen to Lil' Jon circa 2004, but is he considered ringtone rap?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 9:13 am

Depends what you mean by electropop? Would you include Owl City, La Roux, Ellie Goulding etc in that definition?

Written By: Emman on 10/29/12 at 2:19 pm

Depends what you mean by electropop? Would you include Owl City, La Roux, Ellie Goulding etc in that definition?

He wants soooo desperately bad the electronic dance music explosion to be exclusively deemed as '00s even though it has been popular longer in the 2010s than it ever was in the actual '00s.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/29/12 at 2:51 pm

He wants soooo desperately bad the electronic dance music explosion to be exclusively deemed as '00s even though it has been popular longer in the 2010s than it ever was in the actual '00s.

Yeah. Even 2009 was more hip hop than electropop, Gaga kinda stood alone at that time.

Written By: Shiv on 10/29/12 at 5:21 pm

Both suck but ringtone rap is/was probably the worst genre of all time. It was incredibly dumbed down "music" for 13 year olds. At least electropop is somewhat melodic. Both will date horribly (ringtone rap already has).

Also electropop isn't an 00s genre.

Written By: af2010 on 10/29/12 at 10:05 pm

I wouldn't really call Lil Jon ringtone rap.  I always associate the term 'ringtone rap' with snap rap, which is kind of an evolution of crunk, but not quite the same (crunk being fast paced with shouting and whistles, snap rap being slower paced with more 'laid back' vocals and snapping).  I'm not a big fan of any of them, but if I had to choose:

1. Crunk (I actually liked it at first when 'Get Low' came out, it just got old really quick)
2. Electropop (never really liked it)
3. Ringtone/Snap rap (I feel dumber just listening to it)

Written By: bchris02 on 10/30/12 at 9:00 pm

Owl City, yes.  He was popular in certain circles as far back as 2007, and really gained popularity in 2009 before dropping off sharply.  La Roux and Ellie Goulding are pretty much exclusively '10s artists but they are part of the same fad so yeah throw them in.

Electronic Dance Music is an '00s fad and will be seen that way in the long run.  We are in 2012 and it is already on the decline.  Indie rock and more organic pop artists are rising up to take its place.  You also can't discount rap which is seeing somewhat of a revival though not on Top 40 as the younger people currently in their teens aren't real big on it.

Written By: Emman on 10/31/12 at 10:59 pm

Electronic Dance Music is an '00s fad and will be seen that way in the long run.  We are in 2012 and it is already on the decline.  Indie rock and more organic pop artists are rising up to take its place.  You also can't discount rap which is seeing somewhat of a revival though not on Top 40 as the younger people currently in their teens aren't real big on it.

Electronic dance music is not going anywhere and it is not a '00s "fad", it has existed as a distinct genre since the late 1980s at least, euro-trance influenced dance pop in particular has gotten extremely popular since '09 and dubstep has become more popular in the US since '10 and I don't see it going anywhere.

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 11:04 pm

I don't think EDM is on the decline, in fact I would argue it's only becoming even more dominant. Even as a fan I lament how it's killing off other genres of music. Especially since it's not really the style of electronic pop I like, it's more rooted in Eurodance whereas I prefer the stuff based off of British synthpop.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/01/12 at 12:38 am

I don't think EDM is on the decline, in fact I would argue it's only becoming even more dominant. Even as a fan I lament how it's killing off other genres of music. Especially since it's not really the style of electronic pop I like, it's more rooted in Eurodance whereas I prefer the stuff based off of British synthpop.

I don't really like the current Katy Perry-esque Disney electropop period.  I liked it back in '09 when David Guetta first broke into mainstream and it started to look like true trance/techno might get a time in the spotlight.  I don't see it becoming more dominant than it was in 2011 when pretty much every song on the radio was electropop.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/02/12 at 4:18 am

I wouldn't really call Lil Jon ringtone rap.  I always associate the term 'ringtone rap' with snap rap, which is kind of an evolution of crunk, but not quite the same (crunk being fast paced with shouting and whistles, snap rap being slower paced with more 'laid back' vocals and snapping).  I'm not a big fan of any of them, but if I had to choose:

1. Crunk (I actually liked it at first when 'Get Low' came out, it just got old really quick)
2. Electropop (never really liked it)
3. Ringtone/Snap rap (I feel dumber just listening to it)

Yeah I would list ringtone/snap rap with artists such as D4L, Dem Franchise Boyz, Soulja Boy, Mims, and Wocka Flocka Flame.

Written By: TD3000 on 11/03/12 at 3:19 am

Out of those options, I preferred electropop, but that's not saying much. Ringtone rap had some catchy tunes, but there was a lot of awful stuff in there too. The main problem with electropop was/is overexposure. The Black Eyed Peas eventually wore out their welcome and had to take a break. I know people got tired of LMFAO after awhile.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/03/12 at 4:11 pm

Electropop over ringtone rap (D4L, Soulja Boy, etc.), though I'd take crunk (like Yeah or Goodies) over electropop probably.

Check for new replies or respond here...