inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 00's singers who are no longer relevant

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 7:33 pm

Who are some singers that were popular in the 00's but don't hold much clout anymore? Christina Aguilera would be one, I'd say. She was huge in the early 00s but for the past 5 years all her efforts haven't captured much attention. I think she's just enjoying being a mom anyway so it's probably not her loss. Another would be Natasha Bedingfield, I saw her last year at a tiny venue and it didn't sell out. She was huge around 2005/06. Ashanti hasn't been relevant for many years, nor has JoJo. Aly and AJ and the Jonas Brothers fell off the map by 2010 as well.

Subject: Re: 00's singers who are no longer relevant

Written By: Brian06 on 10/31/12 at 7:36 pm

Ciara, Blu Cantrell, Vanessa Carlton, and Michelle Branch. To name a couple.

Written By: whistledog on 10/31/12 at 8:06 pm

Natasha Bedingfield is still around.  Maybe not as popular as she once was, but she has not released an album in a while.  Last year, she sang a duet with Montreal rock band Simple Plan called 'Jet Lag'.  It peaked at #11 in Canada and became one of the biggest hits of 2011 (25 consecutive weeks in the Top 40)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntSBKPkk4m4

She had another Top 20 hit in Canada just this year called Between the Raindrops which was a duet with Lifehouse.

One singer who is no longer relevant is Natasha's brother Daniel Bedingfield, but in his case, he went on a 4 year hiatus and has his 3rd album coming out soon

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 9:26 pm

#11 in Canada isn't really that great, I mean even in the US that's not a big deal in this day and age, and Canada has fewer people than California does. But I'm glad she's still pretty successful up there, I guess people in the States just don't appreciate good music.  ::) ;)

Written By: warped on 10/31/12 at 9:30 pm

#11 in Canada isn't really that great, I mean even in the US that's not a big deal in this day and age, and Canada has fewer people than California does. But I'm glad she's still pretty successful up there, I guess people in the States just don't appreciate good music.  ::) ;)

Insulting Canada now?

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 9:40 pm

Insulting Canada now?

Not at all! I love visiting Canada. I even considered immigrating there, but it's incredibly difficult if you're not a third-world refugee. All I'm saying is it's a small country in terms of population and thus getting to #11 there isn't that huge a feat. It's not even in the United States anymore.

Written By: Emman on 10/31/12 at 10:54 pm

SOULJA BOI CRANK DAT
Nickelback
50 cent and G unit
Ciara
J kwon
Good Charlotte
Fallout Boy
Panic at The Disco
Jonas Brothers
Pussycat Dolls

Written By: belmont22 on 10/31/12 at 10:57 pm

SOULJA BOI CRANK DAT
Nickelback
50 cent and G unit
Ciara
J kwon
Good Charlotte
Fallout Boy
Panic at The Disco
Jonas Brothers
Pussycat Dolls

I almost forgot about the Pussycat Dolls. Yeah all of those groups are totally irrelevant now, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teenagers don't even remember them.

Written By: af2010 on 11/01/12 at 12:13 am

Jessica Simpson
Mya
Mandy Moore
Macy Gray

Not very many singers/groups from the early 00s are still relevant today...

Written By: bchris02 on 11/01/12 at 12:34 am

Who are some singers that were popular in the 00's but don't hold much clout anymore? Christina Aguilera would be one, I'd say. She was huge in the early 00s but for the past 5 years all her efforts haven't captured much attention. I think she's just enjoying being a mom anyway so it's probably not her loss. Another would be Natasha Bedingfield, I saw her last year at a tiny venue and it didn't sell out. She was huge around 2005/06. Ashanti hasn't been relevant for many years, nor has JoJo. Aly and AJ and the Jonas Brothers fell off the map by 2010 as well.

I would say Christina Aguilera is still relevant actually.  She had a song with Maroon 5 in 2011 called "Moves Like Jagger".  If you want to talk about irrelevant, the following really stick out.

-Ashanti
-Mandy Moore
-Lil John
-98 Degrees
-Evanescence
-Chingy
-Jesse McCartney

Written By: bchris02 on 11/01/12 at 12:35 am

I almost forgot about the Pussycat Dolls. Yeah all of those groups are totally irrelevant now, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of teenagers don't even remember them.

The Pussycat Dolls had a song in '09 that had quite a bit of club traction (I Hate This Part), but didn't really get much radio play.

Written By: Shiv on 11/01/12 at 1:02 am

Papa Roach
Blink 182 
New Found Glory

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/01/12 at 3:19 am

Insulting Canada now?

CANADA MUST BE DESTROYED

Written By: warped on 11/01/12 at 5:55 am

CANADA MUST BE DESTROYED

Well, if you and belmont get togethger and attack, I'd say your odds are 60/40 in defeating our army and conquer Canada.
Just watch out for this slingshot and you'll be OK.

http://www.mycombatptsd.com/attachments/joilupxy7n-jpg.355/

:D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 11/01/12 at 6:12 am

Well, if you and belmont get togethger and attack, I'd say your odds are 60/40 in defeating our army and conquer Canada.
Just watch out for this slingshot and you'll be OK.

http://www.mycombatptsd.com/attachments/joilupxy7n-jpg.355/

:D

*DEPLOYING ANTI-POUTINE PROTECTIVE GEAR*

Written By: warped on 11/01/12 at 6:24 am

*DEPLOYING ANTI-POUTINE PROTECTIVE GEAR*

;D Only if you attack Quebec. You really don't require any gear to attack our country. Just tell people you are American. We'll assume you've got a colt 45 on ya, a 44 magnum and another handgun concealed somewhere which you've used on a daily basis to shoot people on highways.
;)

We give up!

http://coachingwithjoe.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/surrender1.jpg

;D

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 6:51 am

I just ate poutine a couple days ago.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 11/01/12 at 4:07 pm

Not at all! I love visiting Canada. I even considered immigrating there, but it's incredibly difficult if you're not a third-world refugee. All I'm saying is it's a small country in terms of population and thus getting to #11 there isn't that huge a feat. It's not even in the United States anymore.

Maybe to you, it is nothing, but not every artist can make it to #1 ::)

Where a song charts in Canada does not mean anything at all.  Songs that peak at #100 get tons of radio play. 

Written By: warped on 11/01/12 at 4:21 pm

Where a song charts in Canada does not mean anything at all.  Songs that peak at #100 get tons of radio play.

Totally agree with you. I know so many Canadian songs that I was surprised to find out later only peaked at #100, or #74, or #92. And they got lots of radio play. I know it was that way in the 70s, 80s and 90s too, glad the trend is continuing. 

Written By: belmont22 on 11/01/12 at 7:09 pm

Well #100 is more success than I could ever wish for, I guess.

Subject: Re: 00\'s singers who are no longer relevant

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/03/12 at 8:32 pm

Have to agree about Panic but they are still around.

Subject: Re: 00\'s singers who are no longer relevant

Written By: belmont22 on 11/03/12 at 8:36 pm

Have to agree about Panic but they are still around.

Being around and being relevant are different.

Subject: Re: 00\\\'s singers who are no longer relevant

Written By: Headphones1989 on 11/03/12 at 8:55 pm

Being around and being relevant are different.

Of course they are, which is why I still agreed...DUH!

Written By: TD3000 on 11/04/12 at 1:58 am

Probably a lot easier to list the artists who still are relevant. But for this question:

Nelly: A guy who used to be one of the biggest rappers in the game has done virtually nothing post-2005, save for Just A Dream a couple years ago. He screwed up by staying out of the game too long, which allowed other rappers of his ilk (i.e., Drake) to replace him.

Nelly Furtado: Recently released an album that sold next to nothing.

Ja Rule: The feud with 50 Cent killed him years ago and he never really made it back. Ironically, 50 has suffered a similar fate in recent years.

American Idol winners: Like half of them.

Sean Paul: Not much going on these days. Had a single last year, but I don't think it made too much headway (didn't realize that he's almost 40 already  :o).

Soulja Boy: People moved on from that style of hip-hop, and he failed to adapt. You can throw a lot of those former young rap/R&B stars like Bow Wow and Omarion that peaked in their teens/early 20s into that mix as well.

Backstreet Boys: They've mostly been active throughout the 2000s, but haven't been relevant in years. Got a little nostalgic buzz a year or two ago when they hooked up with NKOTB, but they're still more of a niche act nowadays.

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/12 at 8:12 am

The lead single Big Hoops (Bigger The Better) rose to the Top 40 in Canada, the UK and The Netherlands among other countries.  That may not be a HUGE success, but enough to still keep her popular.  Not all artists can sell platinum album after platinum album. 

Written By: tatertawt24 on 11/04/12 at 4:41 pm

Most of the artists from the huge Disney boom are nowhere to be found now. :P No one really cares about the Jonas Brothers any more. That one guy has that show on E! but I don't hear about them anymore beside that. JoJo, Natasha Bedingfield (or however you spell her name) Ashanti, Ciara... I could probably think of some more but those are the first that come to mind.

Written By: nally on 11/04/12 at 4:44 pm

Avril Lavigne?

She debuted ten years ago with "Complicated"; her debut album also contained the singles "Sk8er Boi" and "I'm With You"; she had a few other albums after that (songs like "My Happy Ending", "Keep Holding On", etc.), but not so much in the 2010's.

Written By: whistledog on 11/04/12 at 5:09 pm

Avril Lavigne?

She debuted ten years ago with "Complicated"; her debut album also contained the singles "Sk8er Boi" and "I'm With You"; she had a few other albums after that (songs like "My Happy Ending", "Keep Holding On", etc.), but not so much in the 2010's.

She has put out less frequent material in the 2010s.  Her 2011 album 'Goodbye Lullaby' was her first album since 2007 and featured a Top 20 hit called What the Hell

Written By: nally on 11/04/12 at 5:13 pm

She has put out less frequent material in the 2010s.  Her 2011 album 'Goodbye Lullaby' was her first album since 2007 and featured a Top 20 hit called What the Hell

Thanks; I know she's Canadian-born, and you would probably know if she's been successful there as of late.

Written By: TD3000 on 11/05/12 at 12:20 am

The lead single Big Hoops (Bigger The Better) rose to the Top 40 in Canada, the UK and The Netherlands among other countries.  That may not be a HUGE success, but enough to still keep her popular.  Not all artists can sell platinum album after platinum album.

Not to get all ethnocentric, but the song failed to even chart in the U.S. and the album sold like 7,000 copies. I don't expect anyone to go platinum all the time, but that's a massive dropoff. It's all about perspective, I guess.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/05/12 at 9:47 pm

Eminem, Britney Spears, Beyonce, 50 Cent, Nelly and maybe Lady Gaga (If you even consider her a 00's singer) have all gotten less relevant than their peak in the 00's even if they are still famous and talked about. All these major artists are less popular and relevant now than they were in the 00's. Now people who are absolutely irrelevant today I would say are Ashanti, Ciara, Miley Cyrus, etc. Rhianna is one of the few artists who I've seen were super strong in the 00's and successfully transitioned their music style to fit today and is still one of the top popular artists in music today. She's all the way from 2006, and you don't see many artists on the radio who have succeeded at staying popular for that long from the 00's. Katy Perry is also very popular but she started in 2008, which makes her more of a 10's artist than 00's.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/05/12 at 9:49 pm

Avril Lavigne?

Didn't Avril Lavigne release a new song last year? Called "What The Hell" or something? It definitely didn't do as good as Complicated though.

Written By: CG on 11/11/12 at 12:11 am

First off, Miley and Lady Gaga and Rihanna became a lot more popular in the later 00s and are still popular today. Even Britney is still in the limelight.  If you want to talk about musicians who are completely irrelevant today see Ashanti, Young Buck,Creed, Limp Bizkit, other members of NSYNC besides Justin Timberlake, 98 degrees, Backstreet Boys, Mandy Moore, JoJo ( get out right now), Sean Paul, Blaque, TLC (left eye died, but the other two are still around and faded into obscurity), Lauryn Hill (although she might
be more late 90s). The Jonas Brothers were killed by Bieber. They were popular in the mid 00s and now nobody cares about them. Oh well, that's life!

Written By: nally on 11/11/12 at 1:45 pm

Didn't Avril Lavigne release a new song last year? Called "What The Hell" or something? It definitely didn't do as good as Complicated though.

Maybe she did; I'm just not sure of it. I'll have to check it out on Youtube or something.

Written By: tv on 11/11/12 at 7:06 pm

Jessica Simpson
Mya
Mandy Moore
Macy Gray

Not very many singers/groups from the early 00s are still relevant today...
Jessica Simpson-more popular for her personal life now.
Mya-more like 1998-2001 period that she was popular in so she is not exclusively 00's.
Macy Gray hasn't been popular in like 10-11 years.

Written By: tv on 11/11/12 at 7:12 pm

Probably a lot easier to list the artists who still are relevant. But for this question:

Nelly: A guy who used to be one of the biggest rappers in the game has done virtually nothing post-2005, save for Just A Dream a couple years ago. He screwed up by staying out of the game too long, which allowed other rappers of his ilk (i.e., Drake) to replace him.

Ja Rule: The feud with 50 Cent killed him years ago and he never really made it back. Ironically, 50 has suffered a similar fate in recent years.

American Idol winners: Like half of them.

Sean Paul: Not much going on these days. Had a single last year, but I don't think it made too much headway (didn't realize that he's almost 40 already  :o).

Soulja Boy: People moved on from that style of hip-hop, and he failed to adapt. You can throw a lot of those former young rap/R&B stars like Bow Wow and Omarion that peaked in their teens/early 20s into that mix as well.

Backstreet Boys: They've mostly been active throughout the 2000s, but haven't been relevant in years. Got a little nostalgic buzz a year or two ago when they hooked up with NKOTB, but they're still more of a niche act nowadays.
Ironically 50 Cent had a little fued with Rick Ross like 5 years ago and Rick Ross got more popular because of it!

Yeah with Nelly Furtado I heard a new song by her(well a snippet) on ESPN First Take and I thought she would hit big again but I guess its not happening for her now.

Written By: Brian06 on 11/11/12 at 7:19 pm

Jessica Simpson-more popular for her personal life now.
Mya-more like 1998-2001 period that she was popular in so she is not exclusively 00's.
Macy Gray hasn't been popular in like 10-11 years.

Mya was big in '03 too with "My Love Is Like... Whoa".

Written By: tv on 11/11/12 at 7:23 pm

Yeah a few people mentioned Ciara on this thread. Her era was like 2005-2008 maybe.

Jesse McCartney-he had about 15 minutes of fame.

The Jonas Brothers-Their era was mid 2007-2009/2010?.

Some others:

Craig David-I remember he was popular in 2001 in the US.

Anastacia-She sounded like Taylor Dayne(late 1980's pop singer) I remember but she was big in other countries like the first half of the 00's but not big in the later half of the decade. I still have her first album collecting dust in my room.

Miley Cyrus-I remember her being huge in the late 00's. Its strange how she has faded out. She had a similar popularity time frame as Debbie Gibson  Those 2 acts wouldn't even be revelant by the year ending with "1"(1991, and 2011.) Miley reminded more of Tiffany than Debbie Gibson fame wise because Tiffany was famous for being a mall star for teens back in the day. Miley kind of fitted that image too in the late 00's in my opinion but Tiffany wasn't big in 1989 maybe like 1987-1988 and her career died after that. Debbie was popular in 1989.

Written By: tv on 11/11/12 at 7:26 pm

Mya was big in '03 too with "My Love Is Like... Whoa".
Oh yeah I remember that song a little bit.

Written By: tv on 11/11/12 at 7:34 pm

Eminem, Britney Spears, Beyonce, 50 Cent, Nelly and maybe Lady Gaga (If you even consider her a 00's singer) have all gotten less relevant than their peak in the 00's even if they are still famous and talked about. All these major artists are less popular and relevant now than they were in the 00's. Now people who are absolutely irrelevant today I would say are Ashanti, Ciara, Miley Cyrus, etc. Rhianna is one of the few artists who I've seen were super strong in the 00's and successfully transitioned their music style to fit today and is still one of the top popular artists in music today. She's all the way from 2006, and you don't see many artists on the radio who have succeeded at staying popular for that long from the 00's. Katy Perry is also very popular but she started in 2008, which makes her more of a 10's artist than 00's.
No "Pon De Replay" was hot in August 2005 I remember that.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/11/12 at 10:21 pm

Avril Lavigne?

I remember Avril Lavigne was huge from 2002 to 2005. And she had a hit with 'Girlfriend' circa 2007 too. but after that I'd say she lost traction.

Written By: Slim95 on 11/11/12 at 11:17 pm

Maybe she did; I'm just not sure of it. I'll have to check it out on Youtube or something.

Here I found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQmEd_UeeIk

I really think Avril Lavigne sold out when she released Girlfriend in 2007. That song was just horrible.  :-\\

Written By: Martin on 11/12/12 at 10:01 am

I don't want to go off topic, but I'll suggest a similar thread about all decades: "Why some artists stay relevant for longer?"

Written By: nally on 11/12/12 at 10:50 am

Here I found it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQmEd_UeeIk

I really think Avril Lavigne sold out when she released Girlfriend in 2007. That song was just horrible.  :-\\

Many thanks.

She also had a hit in 2008 called "Keep Holding On", but that one wasn't as big as "Complicated."

Written By: popguru85 on 11/12/12 at 12:36 pm

JoJo
Bow Wow
Ashanti
Ja Rule
Ciara
Lil John
Soulja Boy
Jonas Brothers
50 Cent
Nelly
Cam'ron
Creed
Puddle of Mudd
Sum 41
Good Charlotte
Fallout Boy
Jimmy Eat World
The Killers

Written By: bchris02 on 11/15/12 at 12:24 am

I don't want to go off topic, but I'll suggest a similar thread about all decades: "Why some artists stay relevant for longer?"

The ones that seem to stay relevant for longest are ones that don't peak too early.  Rihanna has always been pretty popular since 2005 but she has never been a Lady Gaga. 

Rihanna also is a top guest artist and she has done very well at adapting to changing trends in music.  Katy Perry is also good at it and that's why I think she will last. Lady Gaga peaked too early and burned out, and it didn't help much of her fame was because of her weirdness and she got to a point where she could no longer outweird herself and it just became ridiculous. 

Written By: tv on 11/15/12 at 4:15 pm

The ones that seem to stay relevant for longest are ones that don't peak too early.  Rihanna has always been pretty popular since 2005 but she has never been a Lady Gaga. 

Rihanna also is a top guest artist and she has done very well at adapting to changing trends in music.  Katy Perry is also good at it and that's why I think she will last. Lady Gaga peaked too early and burned out, and it didn't help much of her fame was because of her weirdness and she got to a point where she could no longer outweird herself and it just became ridiculous.
Its too early to write off Lady GaGa in my opinion. Who knows maybe she can have a big album that makes her revelant again. Thinking back on it she was huge popularity wise in 2009-mid 2010. She was a music icon back then.

Written By: belmont22 on 11/15/12 at 5:22 pm

Its too early to write off Lady GaGa in my opinion. Who knows maybe she can have a big album that makes her revelant again. Thinking back on it she was huge popularity wise in 2009-mid 2010. She was a music icon back then.

I think she might have a minor comeback in 2013 and will remain in the tabloids but I don't think she'll ever be as big as she was. I see her as being the Paula Abdul of this era and I could see her judging on X factor or something in the future (has she already?)

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/12 at 6:25 pm

Lady Gaga's album 'Born This Way' only came out last year and already you're saying she's a hasbeen?

That album had 5 Top 40 hits and was the 3rd biggest selling album in the US of 2011.  She has not faded away.  She's just taking a break from the millions of dollars she made from that album ::)

Written By: bchris02 on 11/15/12 at 7:11 pm

I think she might have a minor comeback in 2013 and will remain in the tabloids but I don't think she'll ever be as big as she was. I see her as being the Paula Abdul of this era and I could see her judging on X factor or something in the future (has she already?)

Agreed.  Britney Spears was comparable in fame to Lady Gaga in the early '00s.  Britney bounced back several times and even came back pretty strong in 2009, but could never top the "Oops I Did It Again" era.  On the same note, I think Lady Gaga will have more strong hits but will never be able to top "Bad Romance."

Born This Way was a niche album and too political.  Yes it may have sold massively on iTunes but people don't know it and love it the same way they do her earlier music.  Yes it may have only come out last year but unless you are a Lady Gaga fan, how many songs do you know from it?  How much from Born This Way do you still hear on the radio?  Everybody and their grandmother knows Bad Romance and most Top 40 stations still play it consistently 3 years after its release.

That is also why I consider her an '00s artist rather than a '10s one at this point - her peak song, Bad Romance, was in 2009.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/17/12 at 5:05 pm

Aaron Carter. He used to be the Justin Bieber of the 00's, now Lord knows what he's up to.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/17/12 at 7:10 pm

Aaron Carter. He used to be the Justin Bieber of the 00's, now Lord knows what he's up to.

Except he was never as popular as Justin Bieber.  Aaron Carter had one hit song and it didn't get much radio play.  It was a lot more difficult in the days before Youtube for a child singer to get noticed.  I doubt Justin Bieber could have made it if he had been born a decade earlier.

Written By: Jock on 11/18/12 at 3:57 am

On a side note - something's really wrong in a world where kids like Bieber get millions for being mediocre at best at singing while very talented people don't have a chance for a breakthrough because:

1. their music is considered not suitable for the 0-12 demo or/and
2. because they're considered too old at 25+!

I think parents nowadays are way too liberal with their kids spending all their money on Bieber lunchboxes and concerts. However, I like it that Carly Rae Jepsen got popular at her 'senior' for pop music age. ;)

Written By: Starde on 11/19/12 at 7:36 pm

Except he was never as popular as Justin Bieber.  Aaron Carter had one hit song and it didn't get much radio play.  It was a lot more difficult in the days before Youtube for a child singer to get noticed.  I doubt Justin Bieber could have made it if he had been born a decade earlier.

True. I remember when Aaron Carter used to be popular among my generation 10-12 years ago. I still have some of his music like this for nostalgia sake:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y0p3jn7ODuc

Oh God, the memories... ;D

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/21/12 at 4:14 am

Ciara has been mentioned, but she just released a new album which includes the song "Got Me Good", which is pretty catchy. She might be making a comeback and be able to rival Nicki Minaj.

F5BsvBR14xM

Written By: Tashlovglit on 03/05/13 at 1:38 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj1vXf44SeA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTvu1Yr3Ohk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FQO1fj1MJU http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yccj_lYEles
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nqRkAsZumc http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_-9VnIba_qQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fV4DiAyExN0 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ggV6LoYaQmg

Check for new replies or respond here...