inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How much does this top 100 list represent the 00s decade?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/08/12 at 6:56 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_p0eC_ijFA

What are your thoughts?

Subject: Re: How much does this top 100 list represent the 00s decade?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/09/12 at 5:01 am

I'd say it does it pretty well. No part of the decade is over- or underrepresented. It's my coming of age-decade and I am therefore able to associate most titles with a certain stage of my life (from early teens to early 20s). 

Unfortunately, this video also shows, how boring the decade was -> when it comes to music. This hip hop domination (I am not a fan of it) supports this...  ::)

Interesting is either only the very early part or the very late part (00-01 or 08-09).

Written By: warped on 12/09/12 at 6:22 am

I thought I’d listen to this list, to see what the young people like today.

I recognized a couple of songs here (1 from Avril Lavigne, Coldplay ,Nickelback) from the list. Although I heard of these artists before (Rihanna, 50 cent, Snoop Dog, Justin Timberlake, Kesha, Sean Paul, Katy Perry, Eminem,50 cent, Kanye West,Chris Brown,Gwen Stefani, Beyonce, Black Eyed peas), I never heard their stuff before…I know why now...can’t stand it. That's all I will say.

One song “Bad Day” seemed decent to me, I might have a listen to it on youtube. “Breathe” by Faith Hill sounded alright.

Although none of these songs would ever end up in my top 10,000 songs of all time, at least I gave it a try...right?  It wasn't easy for me, some of those tunes caused some distress, but I actually listened to the whole list. I surprised myself  ;D

Written By: af2010 on 12/09/12 at 10:22 am

It's a decent mix of the decade.  I expected at least something from NSYNC (not really a fan, but they were huge in 00-01) and more from Eminem (arguably the most popular artist of the 00s, and the only song I saw was Lose Yourself).  Sean Paul seemed to be over-represented.  He was pretty big in the mid 00s, but I don't remember him being that popular.

Some songs I would have added:

Outkast - Ms Jackson
Eminem - Stan
Linkin Park - In The End
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
Britney Spears - Oops I Did It Again
NSYNC - Bye Bye Bye

Written By: Henk on 12/09/12 at 12:07 pm

I suppose it's a decent reflection of the decade if you're living in the US of A.
Listening to that list made me realize once more that I'm not a huge fan of rap/hiphop. Every somebody, nobody and wannabe teaming up with another somebody, nobody or wannabe, and the songs become interchangeable and indistinct. Yuk.

Four songs that would definitely have made my list:

Gnarls Barkley - Crazy
The Killers - Human
Muse - Unintended
Depeche Mode - Precious

(But that is a matter of taste rather than popularity)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/09/12 at 12:30 pm

I think the list confirmed my belief that the best songs of the decade were unlikely to be the most "popular songs". I think what made this decade different was that people didn't rise to the top by being the best but by radio overplay. I just hope the rap trend dies out. Unfortunately it seems to be coming back a bit.

Written By: Jquar on 12/09/12 at 2:52 pm

It's a decent mix of the decade.  I expected at least something from NSYNC (not really a fan, but they were huge in 00-01) and more from Eminem (arguably the most popular artist of the 00s, and the only song I saw was Lose Yourself).  Sean Paul seemed to be over-represented.  He was pretty big in the mid 00s, but I don't remember him being that popular.

Some songs I would have added:

Outkast - Ms Jackson
Eminem - Stan
Linkin Park - In The End
3 Doors Down - Kryptonite
Britney Spears - Oops I Did It Again
NSYNC - Bye Bye Bye

Unfortunately 'Stan ' wasn't ever too big of a hit in the US, even though it's clearly one of Eminem's best songs. It only got to #51 on the Billboard chart.

Written By: af2010 on 12/10/12 at 7:17 am

Unfortunately 'Stan ' wasn't ever too big of a hit in the US, even though it's clearly one of Eminem's best songs. It only got to #51 on the Billboard chart.

That's surprising.  I'm from the US and I remember hearing it and seeing the music video pretty frequently when it came out.

Written By: belmont22 on 12/10/12 at 8:02 am

I think the list confirmed my belief that the best songs of the decade were unlikely to be the most "popular songs". I think what made this decade different was that people didn't rise to the top by being the best but by radio overplay. I just hope the rap trend dies out. Unfortunately it seems to be coming back a bit.

I don't think rap is really coming back, it's still there but its bell curve of popularity is going down. You just have to remember, even 5 years ago it was rap EVERYTHING, it'll take some more time for it to completely fade away.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/10/12 at 10:33 pm

Nice mix. I must say "Lose Yourself" by Eminem is the all time best and most influential song of the 2000's in my opinion. Officially, it is #4 on the Billboard chart. But I think many people can agree that Lose Yourself will always be remembered as a classic song from the 2000's. Also most of the music that really defines the decade would be from the years 2002-2005 in my opinion. That's when crank rap and hip-hop was huge. 50 Cent's song "In Da Club" is also a very popular song from the 2000's.

Check for new replies or respond here...