inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Pronunciation in the media

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/21/13 at 11:20 pm

I don't know if it's just my local news stations, but on several occasions I have heard the anchors refer to years in the 2000s as "twenty oh four", "twenty oh eight", etc. I first noticed it shortly after the '10s began. It's as if the media was/is trying to get that pronunciation to stick in the minds of the public, probably since there were debates around this time as to whether we should say "twenty ten" instead of "two thousand ten".

Now I'm all for saying "twenty thirteen", but I think that sounds kind of silly for the '00s.

Has anyone else noticed it or is it just me?

Subject: Re: Pronunciation in the media

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/22/13 at 3:47 am

Sorry to interrupt you actual question, but is it also common in the US to say 'Two thousand thirteen"?

That's what most people say over here in the direct German translation (which is equally long).

Written By: Howard on 01/22/13 at 6:52 am

Sorry to interrupt you actual question, but is it also common in the US to say 'Two thousand thirteen"?

That's what most people say over here in the direct German translation (which is equally long).

You could say it either or: twenty-thirteen or two-thousand thirteen

Written By: Inertia on 01/22/13 at 11:31 am

I've not noticed it before in regards to how they say years in the 2000's, but I do find it very aggravating when news anchors pronounce words certain ways. Especially, when they say "America" like "uh-muur-ree-kuh" instead of "uh-mair-ree-kuh."

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/22/13 at 12:20 pm

I think most of us over here are beginning to transition from referring to years as "two-thousand-xx" and towards calling them "twenty-xx". Back in the 00's, most everybody still said "two-thousand-eight", "two-thousand-nine", etc. But, ever since the 10's began, I'm noticing alot more people (myself included) saying it like "twenty-ten" and "twenty-eleven". Still kind of a mixed bag though.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/22/13 at 12:38 pm

But, ever since the 10's began, I'm noticing alot more people (myself included) saying it like "twenty-ten" and "twenty-eleven". Still kind of a mixed bag though.

I think that "Twenty-XX" sounds only good for years with one syllable (10 and 12). As Mark already mentioned, "Twenty Thirteen" is a bit weird.

Written By: amjikloviet on 01/22/13 at 1:45 pm

I say twenty-thirteen...because that's what it is: a twenty 20 and a thirteen 13. Just like in the last century nobody said " One thousand nine hundred and something." We simply said "nineteen something." I don't know...that's how I see it :3

Written By: warped on 01/22/13 at 1:48 pm

I say twenty-thirteen...because that's what it is: a twenty 20 and a thirteen 13. Just like in the last century nobody said " One thousand nine hundred and something." We simply said "nineteen something." I don't know...that's how I see it :3

I say 2013 (twenty thirteen) too, I don't see the fuss here.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/22/13 at 1:59 pm

I think most of us over here are beginning to transition from referring to years as "two-thousand-xx" and towards calling them "twenty-xx". Back in the 00's, most everybody still said "two-thousand-eight", "two-thousand-nine", etc. But, ever since the 10's began, I'm noticing alot more people (myself included) saying it like "twenty-ten" and "twenty-eleven". Still kind of a mixed bag though.
[/quote

It can be used both ways. Maybe one way will catch on later

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/22/13 at 2:00 pm

I've not noticed it before in regards to how they say years in the 2000's, but I do find it very aggravating when news anchors pronounce words certain ways. Especially, when they say "America" like "uh-muur-ree-kuh" instead of "uh-mair-ree-kuh."

o thats annoying

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/22/13 at 2:19 pm

o thats annoying

nothing beats your new signature in this respect... :D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/22/13 at 3:20 pm

As Mark already mentioned, "Twenty Thirteen" is a bit weird.

I had actually said "Twenty thirteen" sounded right and is how I usually say it, same will be true for the rest of this century and also '10-'12. I just meant referring to the last decade (2000-2009) with that pronunciation is not what I'm used to.

Incidentally, I have never heard the year 2000 discussed in the news so I don't know if they would pronounce it as "two thousand" or "twenty hundred"

Written By: Inertia on 01/22/13 at 3:38 pm

nothing beats your new signature in this respect... :D

Vouch.

I dislike it too. It's too big and the animation is distracting.

It is also quite arrogant.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/22/13 at 3:51 pm

I had actually said "Twenty thirteen" sounded right and is how I usually say it, same will be true for the rest of this century and also '10-'12. I just meant referring to the last decade (2000-2009) with that pronunciation is not what I'm used to.

Yeah, right. I have just read it again.

"Twenty XX" would indeed sound weird for the 00s decade. Without an 'oh' before the X the numbers it would just sound like counting from 21 to 29.  ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/22/13 at 4:09 pm

Yeah, right. I have just read it again.

"Twenty XX" would indeed sound weird for the 00s decade. Without an 'oh' before the X the numbers it would just sound like counting from 21 to 29.  ;D

Right, though the people on the news do include the "oh" in there. So they would say "This was last observed in twenty oh two". But now that I think about it, it is of course quite common for people to say "I graduated in Oh Nine ('09)". Even if people would rarely say "twenty oh nine".

Written By: belmont22 on 01/22/13 at 11:48 pm

I think it's good there's still differences in dialects, even though I don't really like the sound of "Amurica".

As for the subject, I have a gut feeling this might be the year the "twenty x" pronunciation finally starts to win over.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 6:38 am

It's easier to say it the simpler way.

Written By: Howard on 01/23/13 at 6:40 am

I think it's good there's still differences in dialects, even though I don't really like the sound of "Amurica".

What about when a foreigner pronounces it?

Written By: Inertia on 01/23/13 at 7:27 am

As for the subject, I have a gut feeling this might be the year the "twenty x" pronunciation finally starts to win over.

It sounds ridiculous to me. Dialect or not, it's America, not "Amurica."  :D

People should know how to pronounce the name of the country they live in in my opinion, and it is usually Americans who say it that way. Lmao

Written By: meesa on 01/23/13 at 8:17 am

http://magsol.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/jackie-chan-meme.jpg

Edited to add why Jackie is so frustrated.

As long as you understand that they are conveying something happened in 2013, does it really matter how it is pronounced?

Written By: Starde on 01/24/13 at 6:32 pm

Twenty-thirteen, two thousand and thirteen, potato, potahto... :P

Written By: PoliticallyCorrectMatthew on 01/24/13 at 8:26 pm

http://magsol.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/jackie-chan-meme.jpg

Edited to add why Jackie is so frustrated.

As long as you understand that they are conveying something happened in 2013, does it really matter how it is pronounced?

It's just one of those things. There's no law that forbids a man from sitting down in a bus when a woman is standing up but it's for the man to stand up so that the lady can sit down. There's no law forbidden people from saying two thousand thirteen but it's for to say twenty-thirteen instead.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 01/28/13 at 11:42 am

It's just one of those things. There's no law that forbids a man from sitting down in a bus when a woman is standing up but it's for the man to stand up so that the lady can sit down. There's no law forbidden people from saying two thousand thirteen but it's for to say twenty-thirteen instead.

lol

Check for new replies or respond here...