inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How often did you buy or rent VHS in the early 2000s?

Written By: mashedbutton1 on 03/14/13 at 3:18 am

I stopped using VHS in 2001. However movies were still being made on this format up until 2005-2006. I can't remember anyone I know using VHS after 2002. I've always wondered why they were being released when DVD was the norm and easily affordable.

I don't recall even seeing VHS in the stores in 2003.Maybe I didn't notice them at the time. Not sure

Subject: Re: How often did you buy or rent VHS in the early 2000s?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/14/13 at 3:42 am

I stopped buying VHS releases from movies in early 2003, so exactly 10 years ago. The last one was Spider-Man I.

However I used VHS for recording from TV a bit longer. Probably until most stuff was also regularly available on the internet directly after it was broadcasted on TV (mid-late 00s).

Written By: Tashlovglit on 03/14/13 at 5:02 am

I stopped in the late 90's.

Written By: captainEO on 03/14/13 at 5:55 am

We got DVD in 2001.

So the last time I rented a VHS was probably in 2000

Written By: Howard on 03/14/13 at 7:13 am

I stopped renting videos in the early 2000's cause I lost interest in it.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 03/14/13 at 10:52 pm

I actually got a brand new VCR for my birthday in 2001 because my older one tore up. I got a PlayStation 2 for Christmas that same year (which, of course, included a built-in DVD player) and gradually stopped buying movies on VHS in favor of buying them on DVD after that. I did still use my VCR to record shows or movies off TV up until about 2004 or so though.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/15/13 at 3:40 am

I actually got a brand new VCR for my birthday in 2001 because my older one tore up.

Yeah, I would say that 2001 was definitely still a time when VHS was big. At least here in Germany for and in private households; especially for recording. I always hated these DVD recorders. They were very slow and VHS was way more spontanous if you wanted to record something, even though the quality was worse.

BTW: My mum still thinks that VHS is the best, because you can carry VHS tapes wherever you want to and HDD recorders are mostly fixed under one and the same TV set.

Written By: Howard on 03/15/13 at 5:41 am

Yeah, I would say that 2001 was definitely still a time when VHS was big.

and after that people started owning DVD players and then when you bought a PS3 you had Netflix and then Blockbusters slowly went out of business.

Written By: Starde on 03/17/13 at 5:00 am

2003 was the last time I bought a VHS. However, I was still recording award shows and the like up to the mid/late 2000s.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 04/23/13 at 8:38 pm

My family was pretty slow to embrace the change from VHS to DVD. I didn't start buying DVDs until late 2004, which might have actually been slightly before my family got our first DVD player. Before that we had my brother's PS2 which could play DVDs, but I don't think we utilized it for that very much.

I also remember buying a TV with a built-in VHS player in early '04.

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/24/13 at 7:45 am

I first heard about a DVD in the fall of 1997 via a McDonald's promotional game (similar to Monopoly, but a little different) in which it was one of the prizes. That said, I just thought of it as this cool gizmo but wasn't aware of how it worked. I never actually saw one used until 2001 when my uncle had one. In the fall of 2002 my parents finally purchased their first DVD player. From then onwards all new movies were purchased on DVD. But I still recorded TV shows via VHS until 2007. Also, my high school graduation video from 2003 was via VHS (too bad the video quality is poor), along with a couple of dance/music VHS tapes with my sister around that time. I still find VHS appealing for collecting out of print titles that were never released to DVD or digital, especially if nobody has uploaded it online, and a trip to the thrift store or at a garage/library sale may reveal some gems. 

Written By: thenewtattoo on 05/04/13 at 8:42 pm

I first heard about a DVD in the fall of 1997 via a McDonald's promotional game (similar to Monopoly, but a little different) in which it was one of the prizes. That said, I just thought of it as this cool gizmo but wasn't aware of how it worked. I never actually saw one used until 2001 when my uncle had one. In the fall of 2002 my parents finally purchased their first DVD player. From then onwards all new movies were purchased on DVD. But I still recorded TV shows via VHS until 2007. Also, my high school graduation video from 2003 was via VHS (too bad the video quality is poor), along with a couple of dance/music VHS tapes with my sister around that time. I still find VHS appealing for collecting out of print titles that were never released to DVD or digital, especially if nobody has uploaded it online, and a trip to the thrift store or at a garage/library sale may reveal some gems.

2001 for me.  I do remember that Mcdonalds game.

Written By: Brian06 on 05/04/13 at 11:15 pm

A little bit like circa 2000, I actually got my first DVD player in like '99 though. However, I did record stuff off TV using VHS until 2004/05, when I got a DVR.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/13 at 4:47 pm

I rented them but it was rare because I lost interest in them.

Written By: Howard on 05/05/13 at 4:47 pm

2001 for me.  I do remember that Mcdonalds game.

The Monopoly game from McDonalds.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/06/13 at 12:14 am

Our family rented VHS until about 2005.

Written By: nally on 07/07/13 at 11:30 pm

I still bought blank VHS tapes in 2006 (and later).

Written By: Ralph_E_Fresh on 07/08/13 at 4:48 pm

Either in 2003 or 2004 is when my Blockbuster stopped selling VHS, which devestated me as a kid, because my childhood from 1998-2002/stretch to 2003, not as much was Blockbuster Pizza, food shopping, play rented VHS/Video game

They had DVD, and I was capable of playing them as I had a PS2, however I didn't like DVDs, I liked VHS, this continued until about 2010 when I put down the biased and just got into DVD and Bluray.

Check for new replies or respond here...