inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lady Gaga - '00s or '10s?

Written By: bchris02 on 07/16/13 at 11:18 pm

When you think of Britney, 'Nsync, etc you typically associate them with the early 2000s even though they had their first major hits in the late '90s.  10 years from now, do you think Lady Gaga will be associated more with the '00s or the '10s?  Unless her next album is a smash, I would say Lady Gaga peaked in 2009 with Bad Romance.  The style of music she brought in is almost gone from the radio and its only 2013 so I am not sure I would associate her with the '10s.  I think she will go down in history as an '00s core artist.  Thoughts? 

Subject: Re: Lady Gaga - '00s or '10s?

Written By: Jeff on 07/16/13 at 11:54 pm

She may not be a '10s artist but she is WAY too late to be a 'core' 00s artists. The core 00s artists would be artists such as Coldplay and Audioslave.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/17/13 at 12:13 am

She may not be a '10s artist but she is WAY too late to be a 'core' 00s artists. The core 00s artists would be artists such as Coldplay and Audioslave.

The only problem with that is Coldplay and Audioslave never achieved even a fraction of the popularity and hype that Lady Gaga did in 2009.  Lady Gaga was probably the biggest, most sensational artist of the '00s, despite the fact she didn't come on the scene until the last year of the decade.  Lady Gaga changed pop culture in ways we are just now beginning to comprehend.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/17/13 at 1:56 am

I think she was biggest in 2010.

It's kind of like how Paula Abdul peaked between 1989 and 1991. Is she a late 80s artist or an early 90s artist?

Written By: Jeff on 07/17/13 at 3:49 am

The only problem with that is Coldplay and Audioslave never achieved even a fraction of the popularity and hype that Lady Gaga did in 2009.  Lady Gaga was probably the biggest, most sensational artist of the '00s, despite the fact she didn't come on the scene until the last year of the decade.  Lady Gaga changed pop culture in ways we are just now beginning to comprehend.

If we can't comprehend how she changed pop culture until 2013, then she's not really an 00s artist. Also, as MarkMc1990 said, she was biggest in 2010.

I would actually say that Eminem had more impact on the decade overall than Lady Gaga.

Written By: Starde on 07/17/13 at 5:13 pm

If we can't comprehend how she changed pop culture until 2013, then she's not really an 00s artist. Also, as MarkMc1990 said, she was biggest in 2010.

I would actually say that Eminem had more impact on the decade overall than Lady Gaga.

Gonna have to agree with that. When I think of Lady Gaga right now, I associate her more with the early 10's than the late 00's.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/13 at 7:57 pm

Give her time, she's still new. Then we'll figure out if she's mostly 00s or 10s.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/17/13 at 11:19 pm

I think she was biggest in 2010.

It's kind of like how Paula Abdul peaked between 1989 and 1991. Is she a late 80s artist or an early 90s artist?

I associate Paula Abdul with the late '80s, but that's probably because music kept the '80s sound until 1993ish.  It's annoying listening to the '90s station on SiriusXM because they play a lot of early '90s still which totally doesn't fit with the stuff from the rest of the decade.

The change came in the late '00s though.  Lady Gaga's run in the '10s thus far has been lackluster.  Born This Way was successful only on hype.  It didn't have the kind of hits or popularity the Fame Monster did, which was a solid '00s album.

I would agree Eminem dominated the first half of the decade.  I honestly think it was him that brought hip-hop into the mainstream.  If it wasn't for Eminem, hip-hop may have never become what it was in the '00s.

Written By: Jquar on 07/17/13 at 11:48 pm

I associate Paula Abdul with the late '80s, but that's probably because music kept the '80s sound until 1993ish.  It's annoying listening to the '90s station on SiriusXM because they play a lot of early '90s still which totally doesn't fit with the stuff from the rest of the decade.

The change came in the late '00s though.  Lady Gaga's run in the '10s thus far has been lackluster.  Born This Way was successful only on hype.  It didn't have the kind of hits or popularity the Fame Monster did, which was a solid '00s album.

I would agree Eminem dominated the first half of the decade.  I honestly think it was him that brought hip-hop into the mainstream.  If it wasn't for Eminem, hip-hop may have never become what it was in the '00s.

She did still manage four top 10 singles with Born This Way in 2011, although airplay was definitely heavier with her earlier albums.

If she extends her popularity through 2013-14 with a couple more hits, then she'll have achieved more chart success in this decade IMO.

Written By: Jeff on 07/18/13 at 3:21 pm

I guess you could say that Lady Gaga belongs to neither decade and is instead a name that represents the cultural transtion from the '00s to the '10s. Just because she may have been popular at 11.59 pm on December 31st, 2009 doesn't mean she's a "solid 00s artist".

Written By: callmyname on 07/23/13 at 11:19 pm

Rap was popular way before Eminem. There was a decent amount of mainstream rap as early as 1988. I'd say when Yo! MTV Raps came out and Push It hit the Top 40 it was already a fairly powerful force. And most definitely by the time the Berlin Wall came down.

Written By: mik on 07/24/13 at 7:55 am

Paula Abdul is also an both a late 80's and early 90's artist.  Her early 90's work is different from her late 80's work.  The late 80's was more synth-based, and the early 90's was more ballad style and characteristic of 90's pop which is more slower paced than the jaunty 80's style.  Just listen and compare the differences between Forever Your Girl and Spellbound. Also most music did not keep the 80's sound until 1993ish.  There were alot of new sounds to counter the late 80's vibe by then, IMO.

Written By: Jeff on 07/24/13 at 11:07 am

Rap was popular way before Eminem. There was a decent amount of mainstream rap as early as 1988. I'd say when Yo! MTV Raps came out and Push It hit the Top 40 it was already a fairly powerful force. And most definitely by the time the Berlin Wall came down.

Rap was popular before the 2000s. But the comment he was replying to was about how culturally irrelevant Lady Gaga really is to the 00s. She may have been more "sensational" than artists like Coldplay, but for more than half of the decade, Coldplay was enjoying fame when nobody had even heard of Lady Gaga. I've never known a situation where the last two years of an era suddenly becomes the entire decade.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/24/13 at 11:45 pm

I think she's more 2010s.

i also still hear a lot of new electro-pop songs. A lot of it in commericals, too.

Written By: XYkid on 07/27/13 at 5:59 pm

I'm not sure, people say Britney Spears is 90s even though she only had one year of fame in that decade.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/13 at 6:25 pm

I'm not sure, people say Britney Spears is 90s even though she only had one year of fame in that decade.

Britney Spears is definitely more 00s than 90s, I think those people speak impulsively.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/30/13 at 1:16 am

Rap was popular before the 2000s. But the comment he was replying to was about how culturally irrelevant Lady Gaga really is to the 00s. She may have been more "sensational" than artists like Coldplay, but for more than half of the decade, Coldplay was enjoying fame when nobody had even heard of Lady Gaga. I've never known a situation where the last two years of an era suddenly becomes the entire decade.

The 1960s.  Most of the decade was indistinguishable from the 1950s. 

In 2009, people were comparing Lady Gaga to the Beatles.  Today, it seems anybody who said that was speaking presumptuously, but it goes to show how huge she was and what kind of impact she had on music and culture.  Lady Gaga didn't just change the music, she changed the entire culture.

Britney Spears is definitely more 00s than 90s, I think those people speak impulsively.

It depends.  For Britney, the "Baby One More Time" era is usually what stands out the most, and that was pure '90s.  I would agree that most of her run was in the '00s, but her overall peak I believe was in 1999 or 2000.  'Oops I Did It Again' was her 'Bad Romance.'

Written By: 1993 on 07/30/13 at 11:59 am

Britney was definitely more 2000's than 90's, but she first burst on the scene during the wild late 90's so it's not all that strange to associate her with that time as well. Remember "Baby one more time" was already climbing the charts before even 1999.

Written By: Jeff on 07/30/13 at 12:51 pm

Britney was definitely more 2000's than 90's, but she first burst on the scene during the wild late 90's so it's not all that strange to associate her with that time as well. Remember "Baby one more time" was already climbing the charts before even 1999.

That's also probably how most people who are over 20 today remember her.

The people that remember her as the "bald lady" would only be in their teens today and too young to remember when she became popular.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/30/13 at 7:32 pm

Gaga was extremely popular in 2009 and the first half of 2010. I guess I could call that her peak.

As for Britney, the real start of her career was like October 1998 when the video Baby One More Time came out. But it took time for her to become popular, I don't think most people knew who she was until 1999.

She was extremely popular in 1999, 2000, and even 2001. I even remember friends talking about her in early 2002. I'd say Britney will be most remembered for the years 1999-2002.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/30/13 at 11:00 pm

There were actually 60's things before the last 2-3 years of the decade: The Beatles, The Monkees, The Byrds, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Beehive hair, etc.

Written By: Jeff on 07/31/13 at 12:04 am

There were actually 60's things before the last 2-3 years of the decade: The Beatles, The Monkees, The Byrds, The Rolling Stones, The Doors, Beehive hair, etc.

Yes and even then, a lot of big "hippie culture/era" songs came out in 1967 or even 1966.

Written By: Jeff on 07/31/13 at 12:10 am

Gaga was extremely popular in 2009 and the first half of 2010. I guess I could call that her peak.

As for Britney, the real start of her career was like October 1998 when the video Baby One More Time came out. But it took time for her to become popular, I don't think most people knew who she was until 1999.

She was extremely popular in 1999, 2000, and even 2001. I even remember friends talking about her in early 2002. I'd say Britney will be most remembered for the years 1999-2002.

Baby One More Time was a very big hit though and even reached #1 in pop charts around the world. She was also in the Mickey Mouse Club with Justin Timberlake so she even had a little bit of fame in the mid-90s.

Written By: 1993 on 07/31/13 at 8:51 am

Yes and even then, a lot of big "hippie culture/era" songs came out in 1967 or even 1966.

Beatles Revolver and Beach Boys Pet Sounds were both released in 1966.

Swinging London already existed by the mid 60's

Written By: Jeff on 08/04/13 at 4:48 pm

Beatles Revolver and Beach Boys Pet Sounds were both released in 1966.

Swinging London already existed by the mid 60's

Okay, but back on topic, Lady Gaga is due to perform a new single at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards later this month. She is still culturally relevant.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/08/13 at 6:32 am

Okay, but back on topic, Lady Gaga is due to perform a new single at the 2013 MTV Video Music Awards later this month. She is still culturally relevant.

Yes.  How this next album goes over should determine whether she has long-term staying power.  Who knows, she could again become as big as she was in 2009.  Then again, this could flop harder than Born the Way did after the initial hype wore off.

Written By: Jeff on 08/09/13 at 12:29 am

Yes.  How this next album goes over should determine whether she has long-term staying power.  Who knows, she could again become as big as she was in 2009.  Then again, this could flop harder than Born the Way did after the initial hype wore off.

What hype wore off? I could hardly go to a shopping mall in 2011 or even 2012 without hearing Edge of Glory or something else playing.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/09/13 at 12:53 pm

What hype wore off? I could hardly go to a shopping mall in 2011 or even 2012 without hearing Edge of Glory or something else playing.

Compare the chart performance of songs like 'Judas', 'You and I', and 'The Edge of Glory' with that of 'Poker Face', 'Paparazzi', and 'Bad Romance.'  The last three are solid '00s songs FTW.

Written By: Jeff on 08/09/13 at 1:23 pm

Compare the chart performance of songs like 'Judas', 'You and I', and 'The Edge of Glory' with that of 'Poker Face', 'Paparazzi', and 'Bad Romance.'  The last three are solid '00s songs FTW.

They are songs released in the '00s but popularity at the time doesn't always equal epitome. For example, Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana only made it to number six on the US Billboard Hot 100, but look at how much impact it has had on the way people view the 90s today.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/09/13 at 6:33 pm

They are songs released in the '00s but popularity at the time doesn't always equal epitome. For example, Smells Like Teen Spirit by Nirvana only made it to number six on the US Billboard Hot 100, but look at how much impact it has had on the way people view the 90s today.

I am not sure how it is in most places, but where I live everybody was a Lady Gaga fan in 2009 when 'Poker Face' and 'Bad Romance' were popular.  By the time 'You and I' and the 'Edge of Glory' were popular, the only people who still cared about her were gay people.  My girlfriend at that time, who was a huge Lady Gaga fan in the early days, didn't care for Born This Way.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/09/13 at 6:38 pm

"Poker Face" and "Bad Romance" were definitely bigger songs with way more popular impact than "The Edge of Glory" and "You and I".

Written By: 80sfan on 08/09/13 at 8:39 pm

I am not sure how it is in most places, but where I live everybody was a Lady Gaga fan in 2009 when 'Poker Face' and 'Bad Romance' were popular.  By the time 'You and I' and the 'Edge of Glory' were popular, the only people who still cared about her were gay people.  My girlfriend at that time, who was a huge Lady Gaga fan in the early days, didn't care for Born This Way.

I remember by Thanksgiving of 2008 Gaga was fully blown famous. She was very popular from 2008 to about the first third of 2011.

Written By: Jeff on 08/09/13 at 9:40 pm

"Poker Face" and "Bad Romance" were definitely bigger songs with way more popular impact than "The Edge of Glory" and "You and I".

Even if that were true, this isn't about which songs had more impact, it's about where she sits historically and at this point, she's been popular for longer in the '10s (she was only popular in 2009 and in a percentage of 2008) and we're still talking about her in 2013 today. If you'd read one of my earlier comments, Smells Like Teen Spirit never made it to number one, or even the top five of the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, but would now be considered a bigger song than at least most of the late 1991/early 1992 Hot 100 number ones.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/09/13 at 10:20 pm

Even if that were true, this isn't about which songs had more impact, it's about where she sits historically and at this point, she's been popular for longer in the '10s (she was only popular in 2009 and in a percentage of 2008) and we're still talking about her in 2013 today. If you'd read one of my earlier comments, Smells Like Teen Spirit never made it to number one, or even the top five of the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, but would now be considered a bigger song than at least most of the late 1991/early 1992 Hot 100 number ones.

I think it depends on whether she keeps her popularity throughout the decade. I mean say the rest of her songs flop (I don't really think they will but who knows), her peak then would be around 2009-2010 so she would be right on the border of the decades. I don't think an artist has to be associated with one decade anyway, many artists fame spans more than one decade. Gaga at this point since she's still early in her career we don't really know. Nirvana isn't a really fair comparison I mean they weren't a huge artist until the '90s (late 1991), while Gaga was huge before the '10s even though it was the end of the '00s (late 2008-09).

Written By: 80sfan on 08/09/13 at 10:33 pm

I think it depends on whether she keeps her popularity throughout decade. I mean say the rest of her songs flop (I don't really think they will but who knows), her peak then would be around 2009-2010 so she would be right on the border of the decades. I don't think an artist has to be associated with one decade anyway, many artists fame spans more than one decade. Gaga at this point since she's still early in her career we don't really know. Nirvana isn't a really fair comparison I mean they weren't a huge artist until the '90s (late 1991), while Gaga was huge before the '10s even though it was the end of the '00s (late 2008-09).

It's true that people can have fame in more than one decade, actually maybe even DECADES.

But for example, Elvis Presley, though his career lasted like barely twenty years, he will forever be associated with the 1950s, for whatever reason. Especially the 1956 to 1960 era.

Same thing for Britney Spears. She is still famous, but she will forever be remembered for her late 90s/early 00s era (around 1999 to 2002).

Written By: Jeff on 08/10/13 at 1:07 am

I think it depends on whether she keeps her popularity throughout the decade. I mean say the rest of her songs flop (I don't really think they will but who knows), her peak then would be around 2009-2010 so she would be right on the border of the decades. I don't think an artist has to be associated with one decade anyway, many artists fame spans more than one decade. Gaga at this point since she's still early in her career we don't really know. Nirvana isn't a really fair comparison I mean they weren't a huge artist until the '90s (late 1991), while Gaga was huge before the '10s even though it was the end of the '00s (late 2008-09).

My point with Nirvana wasn't to do with their 80s existence, but to point out that chart success alone does not determine the historical value of a song or artist. Lady Gaga would be a bridge between the 00s and 10s I guess, but calling her a "solid 00s artist" is a stretch when she wasn't known until 2008.

Written By: Jeff on 08/10/13 at 1:10 am

It's true that people can have fame in more than one decade, actually maybe even DECADES.

But for example, Elvis Presley, though his career lasted like barely twenty years, he will forever be associated with the 1950s, for whatever reason. Especially the 1956 to 1960 era.

Same thing for Britney Spears. She is still famous, but she will forever be remembered for her late 90s/early 00s era (around 1999 to 2002).

At this point, Lady Gaga would be associated with the late 00s/early 10s but a lot will depend on her 2013 album

Written By: Jeff on 08/15/13 at 5:58 pm

At this point, Lady Gaga would be associated with the late 00s/early 10s but a lot will depend on her 2013 album

Lady Gaga's Applause has created quite a buzz. She is still relevant in 2013. We can now confirm that she is a 10s artist.

Written By: whistledog on 08/15/13 at 8:20 pm

Lady Gaga's Applause has created quite a buzz. She is still relevant in 2013. We can now confirm that she is a 10s artist.

You just talked to yourself.  You quoted a post you made, and you responded to it

http://denver.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw7529-das_kinda_sad.jpg

Written By: Jeff on 08/15/13 at 10:31 pm

You just talked to yourself.  You quoted a post you made, and you responded to it

http://denver.mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw7529-das_kinda_sad.jpg

I was merely capitalizing on my earlier post. Is it really that hard for you to figure out?

Written By: whistledog on 08/16/13 at 4:46 pm

I was merely capitalizing on my earlier post. Is it really that hard for you to figure out?

If you mean making a crappy post even crappier, you successfully succeeded sir.  I tip my hat to you

Written By: J. Rob on 08/19/13 at 6:42 pm

I associate her with the 2010s already, if her next album does well it'll be undebatable

Written By: Slim95 on 09/06/13 at 9:10 pm

10's definitely. In fact, I consider everything after mid 2008 to be the 10's anyway.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 09/07/13 at 5:11 pm

Most pop stars do not have a very long time frame in the limelight, so if this upcoming album is the last one that has any success, she might be seen as an artist that bridges two decades, like how Skid Row is seen neither as really an 80s or 90s band, but one that reflected the trends of both decades.

Check for new replies or respond here...