inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2001

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/13 at 7:56 pm

I had fun in 2001, but it was also the beginning of my bratty adolescent phase.

I remember Britney Spears being pretty popular in 2001. I remember rap getting popular, especially Jennifer Lopez's song "I'm real."

I was in 6th grade in the first half of the year, and in 7th the second half. My family and I moved to a new house in April of that year!

I also remember seeing cellphones getting really big for high school kids.

Subject: Re: 2001

Written By: XYkid on 07/18/13 at 4:29 am

I was 7 that year.
I went to Las Vegas for a dance competition, and my team even won first place.
I had fond memories of playing N64 with my cousins, more specifically mario party 3.
I dressed up as Link from Zelda for Halloween, funny thing is everyone thought I was Peter Pan.

9/11 was also a tough day, my mum's friend was supposed to fly in and see us that day. But of course she didn't make it.

Written By: drewsef on 07/18/13 at 5:12 am

^ I was also 7 that year. Was pretty much addicted to my n64... I too can remember renting mario party 3, which if I remember rightly was one of the last big releases for the system. I can also remember being annoyed that my mum wouldn't let me get conker's bad fur day, which in hindsight was probably a good thing.

I can remember getting up to watch cartoons on September the 12th 2001 (I live in Australia; we didn't find out until the next day as we were all asleep) to find planes crashing into buildings  :-\\  I was only really old enough to have a vague idea of what was happening and didn't understand that it was on the other side of the world.

Britney was EVERYWHERE. Anyone remember the pepsi commercials she was doing around this time? Shrek was hot too this year, got it on VHS for christmas. flatscreens and mp3 players were still pretty much unheard of and dvd hadn't fully taken off yet. Broadband was also very rare.

I think that about sums it up  :D Overall a pretty good year with the obvious and very unfortunate exception of 9/11.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/18/13 at 6:44 am

I turned ten years old in 2001, and was in the third-fourth grades.

I totally remember Mario Party! I had so much fun playing that game with my cousin and friends. I remember when Mario Party 4 came out, and I was so angry that it was only for Nintendo Game Cube.

I also remember my dad taking me to see Shrek. My cousin, who was one grade level above me (even though we were only two weeks apart age-wise) got to see Shrek as a class field trip for school. I was so jealous.  8-P

The events of September 11th happened while I was at school, and I don't recall hearing anything about it until I got home. Even when I got home and watched the events unfold on the news (I recall seeing footage of a burning skyscraper, as was my perception), I wasn't really listening because I was eager for them to get to the weather segment. I also recall radio stations playing Christmas music early that year in response to 9/11.

Those are about all the major things I remember about 2001.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/13 at 6:54 am

cell phones at the time were getting bigger in size.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/13 at 6:57 am

In 2001 I was about 27 and I was in a vocational program that year and I remember when 9/11 happened and going home was crazy, the buses and trains were overcrowded with people and so much frenzy going on. It was a day to never forget.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/13 at 12:53 pm

In 2001 I was about 27 and I was in a vocational program that year and I remember when 9/11 happened and going home was crazy, the buses and trains were overcrowded with people and so much frenzy going on. It was a day to never forget.

Oh yeah, you're from New York.  :D

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/13 at 12:56 pm

If a lot of you were 7, then you were born around 1994.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/18/13 at 12:58 pm

cell phones at the time were getting bigger in size.

Nope, smaller.  8)

Written By: warped on 07/18/13 at 1:07 pm

I remember 2001 because we made a major move. I spent some time with family members in Italy (they visited Canada).  That was nice. We drove cross country and drove through the black hills of Dakota and went to Mount Rushmore.

I think my dad died that year, 2001.

I recall 2001 as a terrible year for music and a bad year for TV shows. I think I cancelled my cable TV that year coz there was nothing good to watch. What`s the point in spending money on crap...
Watched all my favorite 80s, 70s and 60s shows on VHS instead.

Then 9-11 came, very scary...

Great Stanley Cup final between Jersey & Colorado, went 7 games.
MLB world series was great too, Arizona scoring 2 runs in the 9th to beat NYY (I was cheering for NYY, especially because of the events in NY on Sept 11th.)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/18/13 at 1:51 pm

Yeah, I've been thinking alot about 2001 lately now that quite a bit of time has passed. I turned 14 that year and entered high school in August, which is already an extremely significant and changeful event in a person's life anyway, but to top that off, 9/11 occurred less than a month later. That's probably one reason that, whenever I think about '01, I tend to wind up splitting it into two totally separate years. That's just how different the first half of the year felt from the second half to me. Still, despite it's negatives, there's no denying that 2001 was an extremely fun year culturally, even if some of the music I listened to at the time (particularly that Nu Metal garbage like Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock) truly was Godawful.

What amazes me is just how much has changed since 2001, and the early 00's in general, despite the fact that those times still seem so recent to me. I mean, between the "dot com" bubble and it's bursting, there was obviously all this talk about the internet, but, looking back now, it was really still a fairly small part of our lives at that time. There was no Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube, which was something that made actually being able to watch videos online a near impossibility for most, and limited online interaction with friends mostly to e-mail and chatrooms.

Also, dial-up internet and slow connection speeds still ruled the day for most, which was why CD sales were still so robust. I remember trying to download a few MP3's off Napster back in the day, and it sometimes taking hours to finish. And that was if you were lucky enough to stay connected without an incoming phone call knocking you offline. VHS had not yet been overtaken by DVD yet as the dominant home video medium at that time either, and cell phones, while certainly on the rise, were still more of a luxury item than the necessity they have since become.

Written By: Jeff on 07/18/13 at 3:49 pm

whenever I think about '01, I tend to wind up splitting it into two totally separate years. That's just how different the first half of the year felt from the second half to me.

I can definitley understand splitting the year into two. I wish more people acknowledged that most of 2001 was still a pre-9/11 world instead of dismissing 2001 for something that didn't happen until the year was just over two-thirds finished.

Written By: captainEO on 07/18/13 at 4:50 pm

Yeah, I've been thinking alot about 2001 lately now that quite a bit of time has passed. I turned 14 that year and entered high school in August, which is already an extremely significant and changeful event in a person's life anyway, but to top that off, 9/11 occurred less than a month later. That's probably one reason that, whenever I think about '01, I tend to wind up splitting it into two totally separate years. That's just how different the first half of the year felt from the second half to me. Still, despite it's negatives, there's no denying that 2001 was an extremely fun year culturally, even if some of the music I listened to at the time (particularly that Nu Metal garbage like Limp Bizkit and Kid Rock) truly was Godawful.

What amazes me is just how much has changed since 2001, and the early 00's in general, despite the fact that those times still seem so recent to me. I mean, between the "dot com" bubble and it's bursting, there was obviously all this talk about the internet, but, looking back now, it was really still a fairly small part of our lives at that time. There was no Facebook, Twitter, or YouTube, which was something that made actually being able to watch videos online a near impossibility for most, and limited online interaction with friends mostly to e-mail and chatrooms.

Also, dial-up internet and slow connection speeds still ruled the day for most, which was why CD sales were still so robust. I remember trying to download a few MP3's off Napster back in the day, and it sometimes taking hours to finish. And that was if you were lucky enough to stay connected without an incoming phone call knocking you offline. VHS had not yet been overtaken by DVD yet as the dominant home video medium at that time either, and cell phones, while certainly on the rise, were still more of a luxury item than the necessity they have since become.

Personally, I think 2001 is A LOT different compared to now.

But you've described the tech of that time really well! It's quite different now. It's grown a lot.

It also makes me curious about the future of the internet or rather web.

Facebook, Twitter and YouTube's founders were all born between '76 and '84, which means that the internet/web of this decade will likely be defined by those born between '86 and '94. Can you imagine?

I'm looking forward to seeing how it's shaped.

Written By: whistledog on 07/18/13 at 6:12 pm

I'm not so sure about 2001.  I hear it was quite a space odyssey

Written By: warped on 07/18/13 at 6:19 pm

I'm not so sure about 2001.  I hear it was quite a space odyssey

Great film!

http://pics.blameitonthevoices.com/032010/et_vs_hal.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/18/13 at 7:39 pm

Oh yeah, you're from New York.  :D

that day turned into a nightmare.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/13 at 7:43 pm

Personally, I think 2001 is A LOT different compared to now.

But you've described the tech of that time really well! It's quite different now. It's grown a lot.

It also makes me curious about the future of the internet or rather web.

Facebook, Twitter and YouTube's founders were all born between '76 and '84, which means that the internet/web of this decade will likely be defined by those born between '86 and '94. Can you imagine?

I'm looking forward to seeing how it's shaped.

Back then, it was the emergence of cell phones and there was Myspace and chat rooms that we all went on.

Written By: captainEO on 07/19/13 at 12:31 pm

Back then, it was the emergence of cell phones and there was Myspace and chat rooms that we all went on.

Yeah, although MySpace came a bit later. Gotta love tech and how quickly it advances

Written By: Martin_ on 07/19/13 at 1:42 pm

I really loved 2001, especially the spring and September to December (except 9/11). My personal life was great. I moved to a new school -- I have never ever before or after been in a class with a larger number of beautiful females. The girls in my elementary school and high school classes, and university (it was a small university branch) sucked big time.

Written By: Howard on 07/19/13 at 3:28 pm

Yeah, although MySpace came a bit later. Gotta love tech and how quickly it advances

We first started in small chat rooms then it became Myspace, Facebook, Instagram,Twitter look how far we've come when we started chatting with people 13 years ago.

Written By: Tashlovglit on 07/19/13 at 3:51 pm

We first started in small chat rooms then it became Myspace, Facebook, Instagram,Twitter look how far we've come when we started chatting with people 13 years ago.

Now people don't want to chat for some reason. 

Written By: Martin_ on 07/19/13 at 4:46 pm

So what's the problem with liking tech (as in smart phones and hardware) and NOT liking MySpace, Facebook and Twitter? Is a person supposed to like both equally?!

Written By: Howard on 07/19/13 at 4:54 pm

Now people don't want to chat for some reason.

people want to post photos of themselves.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/20/13 at 12:58 pm

I remember this song being big in '01

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5DOGsoiW6c

(it won't let me embed the video)

Written By: captainEO on 07/20/13 at 2:52 pm

Yeah, it's pretty incredible.

So what's the problem with liking tech (as in smart phones and hardware) and NOT liking MySpace, Facebook and Twitter? Is a person supposed to like both equally?!

I didn't say there was a problem. You can like whatever you want.

Written By: XYkid on 07/21/13 at 12:45 am

Cellphones weren't really common among teens until '04/'05 where I lived, it seemed like they were more for business people at the time.

Written By: Jeff on 07/21/13 at 2:23 pm

Cellphones weren't really common among teens until '04/'05 where I lived, it seemed like they were more for business people at the time.

Where I lived, even eleven year olds had them by '03. Teens had them by '01 or '02.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/21/13 at 3:33 pm

Yeah, it probably depends on where you live because it was the same way for me as well. I didn't get my first cell phone until 2005, and even then it was a present for my 18th birthday. I was in high school from 2001-2005 and I think maybe a few dozen students out of several hundred had a cell phone by my senior year. I don't even believe my school felt the need to start regulating cell phone use at all until my younger brother's freshman year which was in 2006.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/13 at 3:35 pm

and then kids started using it for texting.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/13 at 3:36 pm

Yeah, it probably depends on where you live because it was the same way for me as well. I didn't get my first cell phone until 2005, and even then it was a present for my 18th birthday. I was in high school from 2001-2005 and I think maybe a few dozen students out of several hundred had a cell phone by my senior year. I don't even believe my school felt the need to start regulating cell phone use at all until my younger brother's freshman year which was in 2006.

I didn't get my first cellphone until 2000.

Written By: Howard on 07/21/13 at 3:38 pm

anyone remember what films were playing in 2001?

Written By: Jeff on 07/21/13 at 5:21 pm

The Fast and the Furious

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 07/21/13 at 11:38 pm

Where I lived, even eleven year olds had them by '03. Teens had them by '01 or '02.

Where do you live? I find the idea of 11 year-olds with cellphones in '03 a little hard to believe.

I was in junior high in '03 and maybe a handful of kids my age had them. I got my first cellphone in '05 the summer between 8th grade and freshman year of high school. That seemed to be when most kids in my class got them.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/22/13 at 12:01 am

Well 2001, it's funny it still seems pretty fresh on my mind though it feels like a while ago now too. 2001 is the year I'd say I started to feel like a true adolescent, I turned 14 and started high school later in the year. I liked music like Destiny's Child, Disturbed, Incubus, 3LW, Britney, Ja Rule, Nelly, Mary J. Blige, Eve, Eminem, J. Lo. As for cell phones, some people had them back then (I actually did have one) but imo it wasn't nearly as widespread until around 2004 that's when everybody started getting those flip phones. Tech was a lot more primitive back then, almost all TVs for example were of the CRT variety still. Digital cameras were still new tech and kind of expensive and not that good yet, most people used 35 mm film still. Cell phones were pretty much all very basic and just made calls and little else, I don't even think camera phones even existed yet in 2001 amazingly. The economic boom of the '90s had been dying already before 9/11 and then 9/11 happened and then it was obvious that we were about to enter a new era of struggles.

Written By: captainEO on 07/22/13 at 5:30 am

anyone remember what films were playing in 2001?

A film about a certain wizard...
http://www.dan-dare.org/Dan%20Potter/HarryPotterPhilosophersStone1.jpg

Lord of the Rings:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/The_Fellowship_Of_The_Ring.jpg

And Monsters, Inc. amongst others
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/63/Monsters_Inc.JPG

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/22/13 at 8:22 am

There is no such thing as age cohorts in this context. I hate those generalizations, especially when my birthyear is included in a range of 8 years.  ::)

Written By: captainEO on 07/22/13 at 9:34 am

There is no such thing as age cohorts in this context. I hate those generalizations, especially when my birthyear is included in a range of 8 years.  ::)

Zokay...whatever.

'87-94 it is then.

To make it simple for others who'll complain:
Adults, now, likely in their 20s or at least college aged will innovate the web/internet, because Silicon Valley leans to youngsters/youth.
David Karp - 27, Brian Wong - 22, Nick D'Aloisio - 17

Written By: amjikloviet on 07/22/13 at 10:14 am

2001 was not one of my best years, however I do have some unforgettable memories from that year. I had turned 21, and it was the year I became really interested in becoming a florist. That Summer, I remember I worked as a florist in the floral department at Shaw's. I loved that job. And I was so young, and I had this "walk" thinking I was so great. And everyday I would put a flower in my hair just so everyone could know I was the florist. That was my thing. That Summer in 2001 everything in my life had to do with flowers. I lived and breathed flowers, haha.

My favorite song from 2001 was probably "Stuttering(don't say)" by Wild Orchid. It was an interesting, funny song. Loved it!

Written By: Brian06 on 07/22/13 at 11:16 am

Zokay...whatever.

'87-94 it is then.

To make it simple for others who'll complain:
Adults, now, likely in their 20s or at least college aged will innovate the web/internet, because Silicon Valley leans to youngsters/youth.
David Karp - 27, Brian Wong - 22, Nick D'Aloisio - 17

LOL and I was born in '87 and have little in common with people born in '94.  ::)

Written By: Brian06 on 07/22/13 at 11:16 am

Yeah I know, it's stupid.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/13 at 3:15 pm

I don't even think camera phones even existed yet in 2001 amazingly.

No, at that time camera phones weren't in existence up until a few years later.

Written By: Howard on 07/22/13 at 3:16 pm

A film about a certain wizard...
http://www.dan-dare.org/Dan%20Potter/HarryPotterPhilosophersStone1.jpg

Lord of the Rings:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/0c/The_Fellowship_Of_The_Ring.jpg

And Monsters, Inc. amongst others
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/63/Monsters_Inc.JPG

I remember Monsters Inc.

Written By: captainEO on 07/23/13 at 3:08 pm

LOL and I was born in '87 and have little in common with people born in '94.  ::)

::) Funny considering that generations are typically 20 years. And in this case, you're both part of Gen Y.

I lol @ a person who thinks a measly 7 years makes a significant difference. *Sigh* I suppose that's what you come across when you come to this type of forum. The birth period elitists ugh. Thinking being born a certain year makes you superior or somehow more privileged *facepalm*

I'll laugh when younger persons happen to employ you people.

I remember Monsters Inc.

Yeah, it was great. And it's sequel is great too!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/23/13 at 4:44 pm

::) Funny considering that generations are typically 20 years. And in this case, you're both part of Gen Y.

I lol @ a person who thinks a measly 7 years makes a significant difference.

7 years make indeed a significant difference - at least in the context you were talking about and especially when it comes to internet experiences.

Written By: Jeff on 07/23/13 at 4:50 pm

I lol @ a person who thinks a measly 7 years makes a significant difference. *Sigh* I suppose that's what you come across when you come to this type of forum. The birth period elitists ugh. Thinking being born a certain year makes you superior or somehow more privileged *facepalm*

I'll laugh when younger persons happen to employ you people.

Yeah, it was great. And it's sequel is great too!

I actually consider those born in 1994 to be Gen Z (1993 too).

Written By: thenewtattoo on 07/24/13 at 8:49 pm

7 years make indeed a significant difference - at least in the context you were talking about and especially when it comes to internet experiences.

:)

Written By: captainEO on 07/25/13 at 5:56 am

Yes, somewhat I agree. But I later clarified and instead used the term 20something, rather than strict birthdates

I actually consider those born in 1994 to be Gen Z (1993 too).

That's fine I guess. The dates are quite debated anyway

Written By: Jeff on 07/25/13 at 3:44 pm

Yes, somewhat I agree. But I later clarified and instead used the term 20something, rather than strict birthdates

It could depend which country you're in. For example, a rich businessman in Japan could've had a DVD player in 1996 but a lady in Ethiopia today may be living in 2013 and still not know what a DVD player is.

Written By: captainEO on 07/25/13 at 7:07 pm

It could depend which country you're in. For example, a rich businessman in Japan could've had a DVD player in 1996 but a lady in Ethiopia today may be living in 2013 and still not know what a DVD player is.

Yeah, but I suppose it's more for westerners.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/26/13 at 12:54 am

There is also a difference between early and late 20s, and 1994 is not even 20 yet.

Written By: popguru85 on 07/26/13 at 2:36 am

It was an interesting year...
Ended Freshman year of high school in June. Went to Italy with family after school let out. Came back and mom lost her TV job. 9/11 happened and thankfully family was ok but I knew of friends who lost family members :\'(. Started Sophmore year of High School and Biology teacher died of a heart attack over Christmas break.

pop culture wise
WWF bought WCW and did the Invasion storyline
Musically into "Bodies" by Drowning Pool, Korn, Limp Bizkit, etc. Started getting into the Beatles/Hendrix/The Who.
Loved Lord of The Rings, Shrek, Oceans Eleven
Got my PS2 for Christmas along with a lot of Beatles stuff.

Written By: captainEO on 07/26/13 at 5:55 am

There is also a difference between early and late 20s, and 1994 is not even 20 yet.

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say.

I'm not saying that they're identical. I know each age is different. I was saying that when it comes to the internet and web etc. younger people tend to innovate the most. For example Zuckerberg was 19 when he started Facebook in 2004, and Jack Dorsey was 29 in 2006 when Twitter was launched.
I follow this tech stuff quite closely, and the age of innovators always falls in that age range - Instagram founders, Snapchat founders, Pinterest founders, Tumblr founders, Vine founders, Dropbox founders etc. This law even goes back to Steve Jobs and Bill Gates who were this age exactly

I'm simply saying, tech/internet innovation later in this decade will likely come from people who lie in that 20~ age range (but of course there'll be exceptions - some a little older and others younger), and because the people born '84 and before are moving past that age, this now spans to people born in the 90s, as well as including people born in the 80s that are still in their 20s.

It's that simple. A person born in 92 or 94 has the same potential to create the next YouTube/Facebook as someone born in 1987 or 88, that's it. I'm not saying they're identical, although they are all tech-savvy (which is one of the descriptions of Gen Y, of which you're all considered a part)

It's silly to try to separate yourself so much from them when it isn't even a big deal. In fact, Steve Wozniak was 5 years older than Steve Jobs, despite that they both founded Apple and shared a lot in common. And Zuckerberg worked closely with Sean Parker who's 5 years older, and some of Facebook's early employees later happened to found YouTube and they were 5-7 years older than Mark Zuckerberg

Written By: Zeb on 07/26/13 at 11:50 am

That summer was the summer in between my sophmore and junior year of high school.  I had a summer job at the hospital cafeteria and I spent my money on going to the movies.  I went to see Pearl Harbor, Shreck and Rush Hour Two that summer.  Fraiser, That 70s Show, The Drew Carey Show, South Park and The West Wing were my favorite programs at that time.  Also that summer I read an enthralling boigraphy of Theodore Roosevelt's early life called The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt by Edmond Morris and that x-mas I got Theodor Rex which was Morris' follow up book about TR's presidency.  I remember the PS2 being released but I did not get one of my own until a few years later.  I still played my Sega Dreamcast at the time.  A few of the songs that remind me of that summer are Let me Blow Ya Mind, Hanging by a Moment, Drops of Jupiter and Here's to the Night.  That fall was so dominated by 9/11 that I remember very little else so the first semester of my junior year is pretty much a blur in my memory.

Written By: Brian06 on 07/26/13 at 12:41 pm

I don't think you understand what I'm trying to say.

I'm not saying that they're identical. I know each age is different. I was saying that when it comes to the internet and web etc. younger people tend to innovate the most. For example Zuckerberg was 19 when he started Facebook in 2004, and Jack Dorsey was 29 in 2006 when Twitter was launched.
I follow this tech stuff quite closely, and the age of innovators always falls in that age range - Instagram founders, Snapchat founders, Pinterest founders, Tumblr founders, Vine founders, Dropbox founders etc. This law even goes back to Steve Jobs and Bill Gates who were this age exactly

I'm simply saying, tech/internet innovation later in this decade will likely come from people who lie in that 20~ age range (but of course there'll be exceptions - some a little older and others younger), and because the people born '84 and before are moving past that age, this now spans to people born in the 90s, as well as including people born in the 80s that are still in their 20s.

It's that simple. A person born in 92 or 94 has the same potential to create the next YouTube/Facebook as someone born in 1987 or 88, that's it. I'm not saying they're identical, although they are all tech-savvy (which is one of the descriptions of Gen Y, of which you're all considered a part)

It's silly to try to separate yourself so much from them when it isn't even a big deal. In fact, Steve Wozniak was 5 years older than Steve Jobs, despite that they both founded Apple and shared a lot in common. And Zuckerberg worked closely with Sean Parker who's 5 years older, and some of Facebook's early employees later happened to found YouTube and they were 5-7 years older than Mark Zuckerberg

The point is someone born in 1987 is closer in age to someone born in 1984 than someone born in 1994.

Written By: Howard on 07/26/13 at 3:51 pm

WWF bought WCW and did the Invasion storyline

March 24th,2001 who can forget the WCW invasion storyline but after a few years the storyline quickly fizzled out.

Written By: captainEO on 07/27/13 at 2:15 pm

The point is someone born in 1987 is closer in age to someone born in 1984 than someone born in 1994.

I give up.

Written By: Howard on 07/27/13 at 3:42 pm

Weren't they going to have an election in 2001? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/13 at 5:07 pm

Weren't they going to have an election in 2001? ???

Not that I know of. 2001 was George W. Bush's first year being president though.

Written By: XYkid on 07/27/13 at 5:18 pm

I'm a '94er, and I tend to identify more with those who are older than me vs those who are younger. Personally I'd say I'm Gen Y, and I'd say '95 (maybe '96, but that's pushing it) births are also Gen Y.

Written By: Jeff on 07/27/13 at 8:47 pm

I'm a '94er, and I tend to identify more with those who are older than me vs those who are younger. Personally I'd say I'm Gen Y, and I'd say '95 (maybe '96, but that's pushing it) births are also Gen Y.

Personally young kid, I consider you to be Gen Z.

Written By: XYkid on 07/27/13 at 9:23 pm

Personally young kid, I consider you to be Gen Z.
Last I checked I'm 19, which is an adult, not "young kid".
Besides, most sources put Gen Y at 1982-2000 anyway. The original mid-90s cutoff doesn't seem to be followed anymore.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/13 at 7:03 am

Not that I know of. 2001 was George W. Bush's first year being president though.

and something happened in 2000 that they thought the polls were rigged.

Written By: Jeff on 07/28/13 at 1:20 pm

Besides, most sources put Gen Y at 1982-2000 anyway. The original mid-90s cutoff doesn't seem to be followed anymore.

In the United States, you can't buy alcohol until you're 21, so you're still a young kid in my books, young kid. You and someone born in 2000 are Gen Z, young kid.

Written By: captainEO on 07/28/13 at 7:23 pm

Yeah, a person born in 1990 would be greatly exaggerating if they said they were vastly different from you. Sure there's a slight difference, but you're still part of the same generation, and share really similar growing up experiences.

Written By: Jeff on 07/28/13 at 7:47 pm

Yeah, a person born in 1990 would be greatly exaggerating if they said they were vastly different from you. Sure there's a slight difference, but you're still part of the same generation, and share really similar growing up experiences.

If I'm not mistaken, people born in 1990 were in grade school in 1996 (still slightly before digital technology really took over). By the time someone born in 1994 was 6, it was the year 2000. In 1996, someone born in 1994 was just sniffing toy blocks in the playpen.

Written By: Inertia on 07/28/13 at 8:27 pm

This thread is getting really off-topic with the generational discussion and debates about ages. If the hostility and spam continues, I will be locking this topic.

Written By: warped on 07/28/13 at 8:28 pm

Good call, Inertia. Interesting how so many topics in the 2000s or 1990s thread always end up as either

1) An argument over what belongs in Gen X, Y, Z
2) An argument over what in the middle, start and end of a decade
3) An argument over what part of decades fall into other decades
4) An argument over whether the start of ending of a decade is more important.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m8ni7gFwrA1rd2maro1_400.gif

Thanks for the entertainment. 

Written By: Inertia on 07/28/13 at 8:33 pm

Interesting how so many topics in the 2000s or 1990s thread always end up as either

1) An argument over what belongs in Gen X, Y, Z
2) An argument over what in the middle, start and end of a decade
3) An argument over what part of decades fall into other decades
4) An argument over whether the start of ending of a decade is more important.

I know. It comes across as spam in my book. If people want to discuss it, then they need to keep it to one topic only and not pollute every thread with the shenanigans.

Written By: popguru85 on 07/28/13 at 11:04 pm

March 24th,2001 who can forget the WCW invasion storyline but after a few years the storyline quickly fizzled out.

Years?!?!? I would say it lost steam after a few months. It went from WCW feuding with WWF to Vince feuding with Shane and Stephanie featuring WCW/ECW guys

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/29/13 at 12:40 am

http://i.imgur.com/wAsZ4W1.gif

Eeyup.

Written By: captainEO on 07/29/13 at 5:09 am

This thread is getting really off-topic with the generational discussion and debates about ages. If the hostility and spam continues, I will be locking this topic.

I've quit several forums in a rather dramatic fashion over my time on the net.

And I'm so tempted to do so now.

I've argued with a lot of you in this thread, for really no reason. And I'm quite annoyed by that, as I lost time. And don't get me started on Warped and his cronies. Even this forum's "rules" are questionable.

Goodbye for a long time or forever... I haven't decided yet, though I'm leaning to the latter

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/29/13 at 6:00 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ML1OZCHixR0

2001: A Space Odyssey is a 1968 British-American science fiction film produced and directed by Stanley Kubrick. The screenplay was co-written by Kubrick and Arthur C. Clarke, and was partially inspired by Clarke's short story "The Sentinel". Clarke concurrently wrote the novel 2001: A Space Odyssey which was published soon after the film was released. The story deals with a series of encounters between humans and mysterious black monoliths that are apparently affecting human evolution, and a space voyage to Jupiter tracing a signal emitted by one such monolith found on the moon. Keir Dullea and Gary Lockwood star as the two astronauts on this voyage, with Douglas Rain as the voice of the sentient computer HAL 9000 who has full control over their spaceship. The film is frequently described as an "epic film", both for its length and scope, and for its affinity with classical epics

Written By: Howard on 07/29/13 at 7:10 am

Please Do.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/13 at 7:12 am

Years?!?!? I would say it lost steam after a few months. It went from WCW feuding with WWF to Vince feuding with Shane and Stephanie featuring WCW/ECW guys

and then you had the end of ECW in 2005.

Written By: Inertia on 07/29/13 at 5:54 pm

I've quit several forums in a rather dramatic fashion over my time on the net.

And I'm so tempted to do so now.

I've argued with a lot of you in this thread, for really no reason. And I'm quite annoyed by that, as I lost time. And don't get me started on Warped and his cronies. Even this forum's "rules" are questionable.

Goodbye for a long time or forever... I haven't decided yet, though I'm leaning to the latter

Well quit or don't quit. It doesn't matter to me either way. I just don't want to see every thread turn into some giant generational x, y, or z debate. Some of the posts in this thread borderline on flaming too. We don't need the constant hostility on these forums.

Written By: whistledog on 07/29/13 at 8:09 pm

This thread is swerving dangerously close to the edge

http://prod.entertainment.telly.sky.com/image/unscaled/2013/01/29/DI-Death-Becomes-Her-10.jpg

Written By: warped on 07/29/13 at 8:12 pm

Close to me?

http://u2-atomic-articles.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/edge-time-0916.jpg

Written By: Howard on 07/30/13 at 6:35 am

http://prod.entertainment.telly.sky.com/image/unscaled/2013/01/29/DI-Death-Becomes-Her-10.jpg

It sure looks like it.

Written By: TakaWuKid on 08/01/13 at 1:40 am

I'm too lazy to log on to my account but anyway. I'm not trying to be mean or rude but of course you're not a kid but you're not even legal enough to buy alcohol (if you live in the US that is) and you're barely out of high school.

Written By: slim on 08/02/13 at 2:06 pm

I was 10 that year in 4th/5th grade. Great year for me and my family. We got our first computer that year. Summer time was so much fun, Britney was still hot and boybands were still "in". I remember 9/11 really well, i actually started crying when i heard what happened because i was scared.

Written By: valleyroads on 08/04/13 at 10:58 pm

I remember the main news events focusing around the president-elect/president George W. Bush, Chandra Levy's disappearance and reported sightings, the associated scandals with Gary Condit, and the rise of reality TV, until 9/11 and the Afghan War pushed the latter three into the background.

About me and 2001:
I was in my teens then, was in a school that I thought was pretty cool and had quite a few friends at, TV and music sucked for the most part then, but there was a variety comedy/talk show kind of like an IRL version of Wayne's World out of Portland called "Playhouse TV" that was distributed in Eugene that I enjoyed, there's a Wikipedia entry on its radio version, which was syndicated around the US, and there were great radio stations in Eugene then too, I was preparing to get my driver's license then and planning on buying a pretty cool car out of a closed-down junkyard that needed minor work to be driven again, I was learning to play the Moog synthesizer at the time, I had a pretty good-size crush on a young lady who had existential problems and a fixation on nihilism, and that year was the best time of my life, my life has not been great since some time after then.

And as for 9/11... I was getting ready for school when I heard about a jumbo jet hitting the World Trade Center, then heard about the others in school, they cancelled all classes after the last plane hit and had activities for students that included playing the 1996 Kenan & Kel film "Good Burger" on VHS tape and board games, or alternatively a study hall for students to finish assignments or do homework for those assigned to it or who chose to focus on school work, for the rest of the day.

My grandfather on my mom's side died on December 1st of a stroke while sleeping, and that put a lot of my family into a tailspin, my mom has never recovered from it.

And early in 2001 (could have been late 2000, but for the purpose of the board and thread & the year I remember it being, I'll say it was 2001), I started to be individual whilst being close to my school's "cool kids club", I drank Mountain Dew & Red Bull a lot, hung out at Taco Bell with these guys, was wearing black almost exclusively and changed my hair color to black with black fingernails, wore a lot of chrome-plated, aluminum, stainless steel or pewter jewelry (sometimes combined with leather), got into 70s/80s rock even more than I was already (thankfully none of these people liked rap) while taking interest in somewhat haunting but also very relaxing music like Enya, Sarah Brightman, Norah Jones, Tracy Chapman and Sarah McLachlan. I intended to stay at this school until I graduated or hopefully get accepted into their fairly prestigious sister school for my final 2 high-school years, get that car out of the junkyard and fix it up after I got my license, and after we graduated, move to Austin, Texas and start over whilst gaining friends in the musical & philosophical communities with the young lady I had a crush on.

Sadly it did not end up that way, and things disintegrated for me & turned bad about 2 years later, and I would rather not post about it publicly on a forum that non-members can post on. I loved 2001, it was prolly the best year of my life.

Written By: Brian06 on 08/10/13 at 4:07 am

You know I felt the same way as you when I was 19, hell I'm still going through it at 26. I thought there was this magic age but really there isn't. I was like hey I'm over 18 now I'm grown, stop calling me a kid. Obviously once you're 18/21 you're a legal adult, but after that it's all a gradual climb up the age ladder. Once you log a few years into adulthood you realize it's just a gradual thing. At 26 I still feel very young in the adult world, a bit more of a "proper" adult than a 19 year old but still kinda just a "kid" in the adult world. It's like working your way up the ladder, at 19 you're just at the bottom of the ladder. At 26 I'm a little higher but still just a "kid" to older adults, even people in their early 30s are still kinda "kids" in the adult world. As I get closer to 30 I've realized how young that is still, and I'm not really worried about 30 at all, cuz you know what that's still really young. Even 40 is still pretty young. Those under 18 are just babies in the scheme of things.

Written By: SpaceHog on 08/10/13 at 7:46 am

I went to Nantucket to visit my grandmother that summer, like I always did. But that was the "forgotten" summer because of 9/11.

Timothy McVeigh was executed in Terre Haute, IN. I was on a road trip with my mothers parents and we heard on KYW 1060 when we were in King of Prussia, PA that he had been executed and that he had been taken to a funeral home afterwards.

I also remember us driving up the NJTP and to our right we could see TWC.

Tropical Storm Allison wreaked havoc in Texas, and thus is the only Tropical Storm to have its name retired.

I remember flying to Boston after Christmas and how insane it was. We flew over NYC on the way into Boston and it didn't look the same without the World Trade Center.

I was in 7th grade. We had a half day on 9/11. I remember the principal coming on the PA and saying what had happened.

I broke down and wept. People made fun of me for it. The only reason I wept was because my uncle worked in NYC and I was worried about him.

Written By: Jeff on 08/10/13 at 1:31 pm

It still baffles me that someone born in 1994 could dare say that people forgot about 9/11 after two months. The only way you'd forget about that is either you have a memory problem, are culturally unaware, or you haven't matured enough to understand the impact that it had. Then again, it may be proof that 1994 borns do not belong in Generation Y, but belong with the 2000 borns in Generation Z.

Written By: Inertia on 08/10/13 at 7:20 pm

I see we have a troll in this thread who didn't heed my warning and now I will be locking this topic.

Check for new replies or respond here...