inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why my future children will NEVER watch "Thomas the Tank Engine"!

Written By: The Valley Goth on 08/19/13 at 7:41 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

:o

I just watched the following episode of "Thomas the Terrifying...OOPS, I mean Tank Engine":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6qIM2WO6k

Okay, so you may be wondering how a childless 34-year-old came to watch an episode of "Thomas the Tank Engine"...Well, on YT, the video was just listed as "The Sad Story of Henry", and there was some comment about how disturbing the episode was, so I satisfied my morbid curiosity...and now I know why I'd rather let my future children see "Hellfire" than "Thomas the Tank Engine", AND why little British children fear authority like The Plague!

If we analyze a breakdown of the story (As though the story couldn't cause a MENTAL breakdown, I'm SHURR...They could show that video in hospitals in order to make kids believe that there IS a fate worse than surgery...but they'd never get away with that if they were working in any hospital run by ME, because that "TtTE" stuff is just...WRONG!), we can discover just how TWISTED the entire episode really is:

So, Henry basically has a phobia.  He's OCD about the rain, and so he won't leave the tunnel.  Poor Henry!  The Fat Controller doesn't LIKE Henry's phobia, because Henry is "hogging" the tunnel all for himself.  By the way, I don't see how The Fat Controller is controlling ANY fat, anyway; he's been hittin' the fish and chips a little too often, no?  ;D 

Well, Thomas, being a self-sacrificing Good Samaritan, wants to help Henry, but when pushing Henry from behind doesn't work, what does our fearless hero do?  That's right, kids.  Thomas gives up on Henry.  There are SOME people that you CAN'T help, never mind the fact that you only tried to help them in ONE WAY, before GIVING UP on them.  I can't believe that Thomas doesn't say, "Hey, Dude.  It's a sunny DAY out there today.  THERE'S no rain!", or that he doesn't make a silly face, or that he doesn't try to scare Henry out of the tunnel by making a weird noise, and then saying, "See?  It's a sunny day out there today."  Then again, how can the creators of "Thomas the Tank Engine" promote the concept of staunch punishment if Thomas is actually CREATIVE, KIND, or THOUGHTFUL?

Well, anyway, our fish-and-chips-stuffed Fat Controller returns, having NOT even THANKED Thomas for trying to get Henry out of that tunnel, and since he's fed up with Henry's phobia, he administers some strict punishment...BY WALLING HENRY INTO THE TUNNEL FOR ALL TIME!  That's right, kids.  If you have a phobia, if you're OCD about ANYTHING, you MUST be punished...maybe your parents will just take your bedroom door off of its hinges...and BUILD A WALL where the door USED to be!  How would you like to live the rest of your childhood in a bedroom, eating your meals through the window, having a bathroom added onto your bedroom, too, so that you never get to have any real contact with your family...not even in the HALLWAY, or in the DEN, or in the DINING ROOM.  O...M...G!  If I had seen this episode at the age of 5, I'D have been scared!

Then...there's the issue of...THOSE FACES!  "Polar Express"-phobes unite...and scream BLOODY MURDER!  You thought that "The Polar Express" was the ONLY creepy train show?  You thought WRONG!  If ANYBODY makes a stop-motion version of the musical "Starlight Express", I will totally appeal to Andrew Lloyd Webber to STOP THE INSANITY, because creepy train movies/ shows seem to be TOO popular these days!

So, did you ever see the aforementioned episode of "TtTE" as a kid, and/ or did you ever let YOUR child watch that episode?  It's your life, but I will NEVER let MY future children see that show.  It's about as freaktastic as that story about the little girl who was so determined to wear the same dress day in, and day out, that she was turned into a doll...WHO WAS TRAPPED INSIDE OF THE SAME DRESS FOREVER!  Seriously!  Who thinks that that much fear is actually GOOD for children?

Subject: Re: Why my future children will NEVER watch "Thomas the Tank Engine"!

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/13 at 7:56 am

Sounds like you watched the uk version. The US version was changed a little (according to wiki) the first change they mention is sir topham (or whatever) is not called fat controller in the us

Here are some other differences:

In the UK version, the Fat Controller says he'll brick Henry up "for always and always and always", while in the US versions, the punishment is only until Henry "is ready to come out of the tunnel."

In the UK version, the wall was built in front of Henry "so he couldn't come out of the tunnel anymore", in the US versions, it was "so that other engines wouldn't bump into him."

After mentioning dirt in the tunnel spoiling Henry's paint towards the very end, the narrator says in the UK version, "He wondered if he would ever be able to pull trains again. But I think he deserved his punishment, don't you?" In US releases, the narrator says, "How long do you think Henry will stay in the tunnel before he overcomes his fear of the rain and decides to journey out again?"

The Italian title of this episode is "Fear of Rain".

In Japan, this episode is called "In Love with Henry" or "Henry Comes Out".

Written By: snozberries on 08/19/13 at 9:51 am

I have serious issues with a particular ep of Pokemon... Bye Bye Butterfree... I think it promotes rape and, at the very least, gives males a very skewed perspective on how to court women.... 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCl1m62PLTY

"If butterfree doesn't find a mate he'll never have babies" 

(butterfree has no skills and cannot get the pink butterfree's interest.. .he tries harder and she slaps him)

The trainers are upset that butterfree got "shot down" they go look for the dejected butterfree and try to "encourage" him

and now I quote from the ep...

ASH: Butterfree maybe you just have to show off your strength and let the others see how great you are. Show how powerful your tackle is! Or how you can use Stun Spore!

MISTY:
That's right Butterfree! You've got to be assertive! Love is all about attacking your opponent first! Get in a quick punch and surprise them, then while they are still weak take the lead and you'll beat them hands down. Trust me I know. That's the best way to win!!!

BROCK:
You mean it?

MISTY:
Sure do! That's love!!!

BROCK:
I WISH I'D KNOWN THAT SOONER!!!
take butterfree for a a second pass at the pink butterfree

ASH:
Butterfree, show it your whirlwind attack!
(pink butterfree is still unimpressed)

ASH:
cont'd  Now use your tackle! That should do the trick!

Butter free is shot down again...

dude she's not interested...  let it go...

Written By: Howard on 08/19/13 at 2:13 pm

I think some of the children's shows do promote a bit of fear, How about Sesame Street or Mr.Roger's Neighborhood? Back then it was ok to watch them cause we didn't think the show or the characters themselves were creepy but today in 2013 parents don't know what to think of them.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 08/19/13 at 3:12 pm

I just watched the episode on youtube myself and it didn't find it particularly scary or disturbing, just slightly depressing.

Written By: Jeff on 08/19/13 at 3:14 pm

I just watched the episode on youtube myself and it didn't find it particularly scary or disturbing, just slightly depressing.

There's actually far worse out there than the Thomas The Tank Engine and Pokemon episode mentioned.

Shrek the Third promotes high school bullying. Basically anything for children released after 2005 should be banned.

Written By: whistledog on 08/19/13 at 6:16 pm

Basically anything for children released after 2005 should be banned.

Is that why you don't register as a member at inthe00s.com ?

Written By: karen on 08/20/13 at 3:03 am

Well my kids loved that Henry story.  They can still remember the rhyme about the train 'afraid of a few drops of rain'  It certainly hasn't scarred them for life

Written By: KayKay on 08/20/13 at 4:05 am

It's funny, I remember this episode, and it's been years, but I don't remember it negatively.

My cousin is autistic, and now at 26 he still watches Thomas, and this one was probably on a video that's been watched hundreds of times over the years. If I remember rightly there's a follow up episode where he comes out of the tunnel, or it could be the same one, I forget. The point being, it actually has a positive outcome in the end. Which y'know, is actually the bit I remember...

It could be said about loads of kids cartoons, I mean need I point out the VAST majority of kids films and TV that feature "broken" families? There's a great bit in the film Now and Then (a film I loved growing up)

Samantha:
I just wanted to have a normal family. You know like the Brady Bunch.
Teeny:
Six kids sharing two bedrooms doesn't sound like fun to me. Besides, Mike and Carol are widowed.
Samantha:
Well then the Partridge Family.
Teeny:
Shirley Jones is a widow
(thinking)
Buffy and Jody are orphans.
(on a roll)
Courtship of Eddie's Father, widower My Three Sons, widower. Bonanza, widower.
Samantha:
Beverly Hillbillies, widower.
Teeny:
See Sam, there are no perfect families. It's normal for things to be shi**y.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/13 at 6:32 am

Got him there.  ;D

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/13 at 8:15 am

It's funny, I remember this episode, and it's been years, but I don't remember it negatively.

My cousin is autistic, and now at 26 he still watches Thomas, and this one was probably on a video that's been watched hundreds of times over the years. If I remember rightly there's a follow up episode where he comes out of the tunnel, or it could be the same one, I forget. The point being, it actually has a positive outcome in the end. Which y'know, is actually the bit I remember...

It could be said about loads of kids cartoons, I mean need I point out the VAST majority of kids films and TV that feature "broken" families? There's a great bit in the film Now and Then (a film I loved growing up)

Samantha:
I just wanted to have a normal family. You know like the Brady Bunch.
Teeny:
Six kids sharing two bedrooms doesn't sound like fun to me. Besides, Mike and Carol are widowed.
Samantha:
Well then the Partridge Family.
Teeny:
Shirley Jones is a widow
(thinking)
Buffy and Jody are orphans.
(on a roll)
Courtship of Eddie's Father, widower My Three Sons, widower. Bonanza, widower.
Samantha:
Beverly Hillbillies, widower.
Teeny:
See Sam, there are no perfect families. It's normal for things to be shi**y.

Love that movie...love that scene

Written By: KayKay on 08/20/13 at 8:19 am

Love that movie...love that scene

It's very true though, the point being, you can't shield children (or anyone for that matter) from the truth. The truth being, life isn't always pleasant, fair, nice or anything like it. Sometimes it's hard, mean, horrible. It's just the way it is. I'm not being negative, it's about how you face both the good and the bad.

Personally, going back to the initial topic. I would let my future kids watch that episode, but I might take the time to talk about it with them. Discuss what is good and bad about the situation. And let it be something useful and productive. As opposed to pretending horrible things, and bad attitudes don't exist.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/13 at 8:25 am

It's very true though, the point being, you can't shield children (or anyone for that matter) from the truth. The truth being, life isn't always pleasant, fair, nice or anything like it. Sometimes it's hard, mean, horrible. It's just the way it is. I'm not being negative, it's about how you face both the good and the bad.

Personally, going back to the initial topic. I would let my future kids watch that episode, but I might take the time to talk about it with them. Discuss what is good and bad about the situation. And let it be something useful and productive. As opposed to pretending horrible things, and bad attitudes don't exist.

You're right. Kids stories can't all be happily ever afters.

Old Yeller
Et (your alien BFF leaves the world forever that hurts)
My Girl (your human BFF leaves the world forever that REALLY hurts)

Life is not all puppy dog tails and ice cream. Real shyt happens. Sometimes real bad shyt happens.
You're doing kids a great disservice if you keep the realities of life from them
Peso ole always say they are "protecting" kids. I think it's far more important to "prepare" them

Written By: Dagwood on 08/20/13 at 1:36 pm

You're right. Kids stories can't all be happily ever afters.

Old Yeller
Et (your alien BFF leaves the world forever that hurts)
My Girl (your human BFF leaves the world forever that REALLY hurts)

Life is not all puppy dog tails and ice cream. Real shyt happens. Sometimes real bad shyt happens.
You're doing kids a great disservice if you keep the realities of life from them
Peso ole always say they are "protecting" kids. I think it's far more important to "prepare" them

Exactly.  You can't raise your kids under an umbrella.  If you do, when they hit the real world they are not prepared for the bad parts of life. 

Written By: danootaandme on 08/20/13 at 2:05 pm

I have issues with story lines in Thomas the Tank Engine.  It was originally the work of what seems to me to be a paternalistic priest with dreams of a return to restrictive social classes. 

Written By: Howard on 08/20/13 at 6:02 pm

Exactly.  You can't raise your kids under an umbrella.  If you do, when they hit the real world they are not prepared for the bad parts of life.

and you can't keep them under the umbrella all their life, sometimes the real truth has to come out someday even if it hurts.

Written By: Howard on 08/20/13 at 6:11 pm

So what will your future children watch? Barney? Teletubbies? Blue's Clues? ???

Written By: The Valley Goth on 08/20/13 at 7:01 pm

Like, Hi, Howard, Fer Shurr,

My future children will probably watch Disney movies, "The Secret Garden", "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "The Secret of NIMH", "The Wizard of OZ", "Heidi" (IF I can ever find a rendition of "Heidi" wherein Heidi is true to her book character), and all of the other movies that I always enjoyed.

I might wait to show them "Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", though, as the Oompa Loompas scared the living daylights out of me until I was about 18, or so.
8)

So what will your future children watch? Barney? Teletubbies? Blue's Clues? ???

Written By: KayKay on 08/20/13 at 7:05 pm

My future children will probably watch Disney movies, "The Secret Garden", "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", "The Secret of NIMH", "The Wizard of OZ", "Heidi" (IF I can ever find a rendition of "Heidi" wherein Heidi is true to her book character), and all of the other movies that I always enjoyed.

I might wait to show them "Wonka and the Chocolate Factory", though, as the Oompa Loompas scared the living daylights out of me until I was about 18, or so.
8)

It's funny cuz the amount of parental death in Disney worries me most of all now I'm an adult

Written By: Inertia on 08/20/13 at 7:34 pm

8)

This might be a strange question, but what does "Fer Shurr" mean exactly? I see you use that particular phrase almost every time you post and wonder.

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/13 at 8:11 pm

My future children will probably watch "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory",

8)

O0

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

http://dsdtglobal.com/images/smiley-thumbsdown.gif

Written By: snozberries on 08/20/13 at 8:13 pm

This might be a strange question, but what does "Fer Shurr" mean exactly? I see you use that particular phrase almost every time you post and wonder.

valley goth thinks she's Moon Unit Zappa.... remember the Valley Girl song... like ferr shur...totally.....gag me with a spoon  (literally- gag me.  ::) )

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/20/13 at 9:48 pm

I have issues with story lines in Thomas the Tank Engine.  It was originally the work of what seems to me to be a paternalistic priest with dreams of a return to restrictive social classes.

OK, this essay, "Am I Overthinking It?: Thomas the Tank Engine is Kind of Creepy" is now incredibly awesome. (As is this one.)

(I'm way too old for the show, but that hasn't stopped me for decades, and I remember some very strange mornings that began with "ZOMG is that George Carlin on a kid's show?")

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/20/13 at 10:02 pm

Snozzberries has already filled you in on the song, but it was enough of a cultural thing in the early 80s (particularly in LA/SoCal) that there was even a movie about it.  Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZaRznRmCqc

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/13 at 1:07 am

Snozzberries has already filled you in on the song, but it was enough of a cultural thing in the early 80s (particularly in LA/SoCal) that there was even a movie about it.  Here's the trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZaRznRmCqc

Love that movie!!! They eat at one of my fave LA handouts. Ever been to Du-Par's at the Grove Goth???

Music was so important in the 80s that detail got more screen time than the cast list.  ;D

I'm surprised you didn't post the valley girl (Zappa) music video foo. I'd like to but I'm on my phone so it's not easy

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/21/13 at 1:42 am

Love that movie!!! They eat at one of my fave LA handouts. Ever been to Du-Par's at the Grove Goth???

No, but I did make it to Pink's for the hot dogs the last time I was down that way.  It's been a few years and I'm still but a tourist in that neck of the state.

Music was so important in the 80s that detail got more screen time than the cast list.  ;D

Yeah, it was 30 years ago.  I'd forgotten that part.  The soundtrack was more important than the movie, and it was so important that although nobody remembers Moon Unit for anything other than the title track (and her dad's awesomeness), most of the names on that soundtrack are still remembered fondly by people of that movie's generations.

I'm surprised you didn't post the valley girl (Zappa) music video foo. I'd like to but I'm on my phone so it's not easy

Done.  I don't think there was ever, like, an offficial video, so,  like, OMG I can totally fix that for ya!

ufYYOXiEtxM
  - Moon Unit Zappa on "Solid Gold", Valley Girl (1982)

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/13 at 1:53 am

No, but I did make it to Pink's for the hot dogs the last time I was down that way.  It's been a few years and I'm still but a tourist in that neck of the state.

Yeah, it was 30 years ago.  I'd forgotten that part.  The soundtrack was more important than the movie, and it was so important that although nobody remembers Moon Unit for anything other than the title track (and her dad's awesomeness), most of the names on that soundtrack are still remembered fondly by people of that movie's generations.

Done.  I don't think there was ever, like, an offficial video, so,  like, OMG I can totally fix that for ya!

ufYYOXiEtxM
  - Moon Unit Zappa on "Solid Gold", Valley Girl (1982)

Thank you!!! Worst rap song ever but I like totally love it  :D
The black solid gold dancer looked like she dying for the end of the song  ;D
I'd swear there was a video. It was cheap and maybe didn't live to see the digital age.

Pinks is awesome! I'm in love with The Lord of the rings dog. Hot dog with BBQ sauce & onion rings!!!

Du-pars has the best damn pancakes I've ever had. The French toast is amazing too.

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/13 at 1:59 am

Found this. Tried linking it from google chrome instead of safari so maybe the link will work.

It's not the valley girl video but an Atari commercial from the 80s

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRru-tQZ8ro&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnRru-tQZ8ro%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/21/13 at 2:20 am

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nRru-tQZ8ro&feature=youtu.be&desktop_uri=%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DnRru-tQZ8ro%26feature%3Dyoutu.be

nRru-tQZ8ro

As an 8-bit dude, I'd like, totally forgotten about that Atari 2600 commercial!

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/2010-10-04.jpg

(For the benefit of everyone paying too close attention to things around here tonight:  We're not making fun of Valspeak, we of a certain age are making fun of ourselves for taking it seriously back then, and we're enjoying it ironically today because it makes us feel, like, totally young and stuff, okay?  You'll be poking the same fun about yourselves about how UBER things were back in the day.  It'll be EPIC.)

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/13 at 3:37 am

nRru-tQZ8ro

As an 8-bit dude, I'd like, totally forgotten about that Atari 2600 commercial!

http://thepunchlineismachismo.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/2010-10-04.jpg

(For the benefit of everyone paying too close attention to things around here tonight:  We're not making fun of Valspeak, we of a certain age are making fun of ourselves for taking it seriously back then, and we're enjoying it ironically today because it makes us feel, like, totally young and stuff, okay?  You'll be poking the same fun about yourselves about how UBER things were back in the day.  It'll be EPIC.)

thx for linking the vid for me.

Yeah we did take it seriously. I never talked like that because I lived in the Central Valley not San Fernando valley  :D

Written By: The Valley Goth on 08/21/13 at 3:55 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I was born in So Cal, but I've lived in Nor Cal for almost all of my life, and when I was, like, in, like, the, like, 6th grade, or so, I used to say, like, "She's all 'I want another sandwich!' ", but, like, I didn't use, like, Valspeak, I am SHURR!  Seriously, I didn't actually use Valspeak back then, during the early 1990s, but my mother always used to say, "She's all...WHAT?".  My aunt sort of behaved like a Valley Girl, though, and she has lived in So Cal for soo many years.

With regards to the entire Valley Girl phenomenon, I became fascinated with it during the late 1990s/ early 2000s, when I was listening to tons of 80s music during college.  I used to sort of worship the Valley Girl scene, and I actually wanted to research it, despite the fact that my contemporaries kept telling me that I was crazy, and that it was just a silly stereotype, and not a REAL type of girl from the 1980s.

I have seen the movie "Valley Girl"...AND the beginning of the 1982 movie "The Vals", and I must say that I prefer "The Vals"!  Why do I like that movie better?  Well, it actually explains the Valley Girl phenomenon.  Those poor, rich girls had selfish, drugged-out parents, who were total hypocrites; they got high, and they partied, and they neglected their daughters, and yet, they didn't WANT their little PRINCESSES to use Valspeak...Because they were neglected, these girls literally became their own families, forming their own culture...a culture wherein Daddy's credit card, and all of the material possessions that it could buy...became substitutes for parental attention and love, wherein flirting, shopping, drinking, etc., took the place of mattering to the older generation.  When those girls couldn't have their parents' love, they took what they could get...the money, and they built an entire culture around that money.

The grand irony is that I'm a sort-of Valley Girl who isn't as prejudiced as the traditional Valley Girls were (Ie: I'd NEVER dis S&M!).

That Atari commercial is way over the top; that girl sounds like Ariel on a happy pill, fer shurr!  Even Ariel, who has ALWAYS reminded me of a Valley Girl, isn't THAT crazy!
8)

Written By: snozberries on 08/21/13 at 4:06 am

You're from NorCal by way of SoCal?

So like you must've been all hella this and Hella that. Like that's hella cool and he's hella fine.  :D

Written By: Howard on 08/21/13 at 6:58 am

8)

you can also show them Sesame Street.

Written By: Howard on 08/21/13 at 7:00 am

valley goth thinks she's Moon Unit Zappa.... remember the Valley Girl song... like ferr shur...totally.....gag me with a spoon  (literally- gag me.  ::) )

yeah.. totally! like fer shurr! ;D

Written By: Howard on 08/21/13 at 7:08 am

Found this. Tried linking it from google chrome instead of safari so maybe the link will work.

Totally!

Written By: Howard on 08/21/13 at 7:11 am

So like you must've been all hella this and Hella that. Like that's hella cool and he's hella fine.  :D

;D

Written By: Inertia on 08/23/13 at 10:10 am

Thanks for explaining it. XD

I don't believe I had ever even heard that song before.

Written By: Howard on 08/23/13 at 12:54 pm

Thanks for explaining it. XD

I don't believe I had ever even heard that song before.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ufYYOXiEtxM#t=0

Well, here's your chance.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/24/13 at 12:19 am

I didn't know what the heck they were talking about when I was 6, I just thought the trains were cool.

Written By: The Valley Goth on 08/24/13 at 2:06 am

Like, Hi, Snozberries, Fer Shurr,

I sometimes used the word "hella", and I did hear that word a great deal back then!
8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/14 at 12:14 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I just watched the following episode of "Thomas the Terrifying...OOPS, I mean Tank Engine":

www.youtube.com/watch?v=iO6qIM2WO6k

Okay, so you may be wondering how a childless 34-year-old came to watch an episode of "Thomas the Tank Engine"...Well, on YT, the video was just listed as "The Sad Story of Henry", and there was some comment about how disturbing the episode was, so I satisfied my morbid curiosity...and now I know why I'd rather let my future children see "Hellfire" than "Thomas the Tank Engine", AND why little British children fear authority like The Plague!

If we analyze a breakdown of the story (As though the story couldn't cause a MENTAL breakdown, I'm SHURR...They could show that video in hospitals in order to make kids believe that there IS a fate worse than surgery...but they'd never get away with that if they were working in any hospital run by ME, because that "TtTE" stuff is just...WRONG!), we can discover just how TWISTED the entire episode really is:

So, Henry basically has a phobia.  He's OCD about the rain, and so he won't leave the tunnel.  Poor Henry!  The Fat Controller doesn't LIKE Henry's phobia, because Henry is "hogging" the tunnel all for himself.  By the way, I don't see how The Fat Controller is controlling ANY fat, anyway; he's been hittin' the fish and chips a little too often, no?  ;D 

Well, Thomas, being a self-sacrificing Good Samaritan, wants to help Henry, but when pushing Henry from behind doesn't work, what does our fearless hero do?  That's right, kids.  Thomas gives up on Henry.  There are SOME people that you CAN'T help, never mind the fact that you only tried to help them in ONE WAY, before GIVING UP on them.  I can't believe that Thomas doesn't say, "Hey, Dude.  It's a sunny DAY out there today.  THERE'S no rain!", or that he doesn't make a silly face, or that he doesn't try to scare Henry out of the tunnel by making a weird noise, and then saying, "See?  It's a sunny day out there today."  Then again, how can the creators of "Thomas the Tank Engine" promote the concept of staunch punishment if Thomas is actually CREATIVE, KIND, or THOUGHTFUL?

Well, anyway, our fish-and-chips-stuffed Fat Controller returns, having NOT even THANKED Thomas for trying to get Henry out of that tunnel, and since he's fed up with Henry's phobia, he administers some strict punishment...BY WALLING HENRY INTO THE TUNNEL FOR ALL TIME!  That's right, kids.  If you have a phobia, if you're OCD about ANYTHING, you MUST be punished...maybe your parents will just take your bedroom door off of its hinges...and BUILD A WALL where the door USED to be!  How would you like to live the rest of your childhood in a bedroom, eating your meals through the window, having a bathroom added onto your bedroom, too, so that you never get to have any real contact with your family...not even in the HALLWAY, or in the DEN, or in the DINING ROOM.  O...M...G!  If I had seen this episode at the age of 5, I'D have been scared!

Then...there's the issue of...THOSE FACES!  "Polar Express"-phobes unite...and scream BLOODY MURDER!  You thought that "The Polar Express" was the ONLY creepy train show?  You thought WRONG!  If ANYBODY makes a stop-motion version of the musical "Starlight Express", I will totally appeal to Andrew Lloyd Webber to STOP THE INSANITY, because creepy train movies/ shows seem to be TOO popular these days!

So, did you ever see the aforementioned episode of "TtTE" as a kid, and/ or did you ever let YOUR child watch that episode?  It's your life, but I will NEVER let MY future children see that show.  It's about as freaktastic as that story about the little girl who was so determined to wear the same dress day in, and day out, that she was turned into a doll...WHO WAS TRAPPED INSIDE OF THE SAME DRESS FOREVER!  Seriously!  Who thinks that that much fear is actually GOOD for children?

The voice of Ringo Starr does sound scary at times.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 05/20/14 at 2:59 pm

Seriously, Thomas the Tank Engine, effing Thomas the Tank Engine. Technically, if you can't tell by their faces, at the time period the show takes in, they are all about 30-50 year old trains- Henry being about the oldest train, in age, not how long he's lived there. If memory serves; rain would cool down his boiler because it was too small, before it was replaced.

If there's a show not to watch; it's Barney. Barney and his nearly sociapathic take on dealing with any situation at hand.
Effing Thomas the Tank Engine...

Written By: Paul on 05/21/14 at 9:05 am

The voice of Ringo Starr does sound scary at times.

You wanna hear some of his singing...terrifying!

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/21/14 at 9:56 am

Seriously, Thomas the Tank Engine, effing Thomas the Tank Engine. Technically, if you can't tell by their faces, at the time period the show takes in, they are all about 30-50 year old trains- Henry being about the oldest train, in age, not how long he's lived there. If memory serves; rain would cool down his boiler because it was too small, before it was replaced.

If there's a show not to watch; it's Barney. Barney and his nearly sociapathic take on dealing with any situation at hand.
Effing Thomas the Tank Engine...

How was Barney a sociopath?

I hate when people over analyze kids shows. They were just entertainment back then, not stuff kids shouldn't watch because older people are bothered by it and think the kids would be too when...whatever it is...goes waaayyy over their heads.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/14 at 10:10 am

You wanna hear some of his singing...terrifying!
When he sang with some help from his friends!

Written By: snozberries on 05/21/14 at 9:46 pm

I hate when people over analyze kids shows. They were just entertainment back then, not stuff kids shouldn't watch because older people are bothered by it and think the kids would be too when...whatever it is...goes waaayyy over their heads.

Actually children absorb way more than you give them credit for. They may not fully understand what they are absorbing but it stays with them and leaves an imprint that will get fleshed later in one way or another.

Written By: Visor765 on 05/21/14 at 10:57 pm

You're just gonna ban her if she does. What's the point?

Written By: 80sfan on 05/21/14 at 11:15 pm

Actually children absorb way more than you give them credit for. They may not fully understand what they are absorbing but it stays with them and leaves an imprint that will get fleshed later in one way or another.

Barney taught me to push kids in the cement, then spit on them for my own selfish narcissistic sociopath-like pleasure.

Oh my God, you're right. I did learn that at age five!  :-X

Written By: Dagwood on 05/22/14 at 7:52 am

You're just gonna ban her if she does. What's the point?

First, did you notice you are quoting a post from August? 

Secondly, you have been here a month, why so rude?  It doesn't endear you to anyone here.  You might want to rethink your attitude. 

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 9:26 am

Barney was a purple dinosaur who just wanted to have fun.http://25.media.tumblr.com/d79e9fcb594594ec3573f9716cca6191/tumblr_mpomijjfGh1qz581wo2_400.gif

Written By: 80sfan on 05/23/14 at 2:33 pm

Barney was a purple dinosaur who just wanted to have fun.http://25.media.tumblr.com/d79e9fcb594594ec3573f9716cca6191/tumblr_mpomijjfGh1qz581wo2_400.gif

;D

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 05/27/14 at 5:31 pm

His take on stay happy nomatter the situation presented to you. It's not over-analyzing, you can see it.

Written By: Howard on 05/27/14 at 7:32 pm

His take on stay happy nomatter the situation presented to you. It's not over-analyzing, you can see it.

He was always happy.

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 06/10/14 at 1:39 am

He was always happy.

This is what I mean, I took this quote from the wiki page:

He was always happy.

I took this quote from the wikipedia page, this is what I'm talking about:

Written By: JaxRhapsody on 06/10/14 at 1:42 am

It kinda screwed up, I'm on the biggest piece of tihs phone I've ever had; Galaxy Discover. As soon as I can get aa new Galaxy Note, I'm smashing this phone with my 3lbs sledge, posting it to youtube, making sure Samsung sees it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/10/14 at 8:45 pm

It kinda screwed up, I'm on the biggest piece of tihs phone I've ever had; Galaxy Discover. As soon as I can get aa new Galaxy Note, I'm smashing this phone with my 3lbs sledge, posting it to youtube, making sure Samsung sees it.

http://i.imgur.com/tBi0txL.jpg

So as soon as you buy another Samsung product to replace your existing Samsung product... I hate the purple bastard as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure if you've really thought your cunning plan all the way through :)

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/10/14 at 11:19 pm

http://i.imgur.com/tBi0txL.jpg

So as soon as you buy another Samsung product to replace your existing Samsung product... I hate the purple bastard as much as the next guy, but I'm not sure if you've really thought your cunning plan all the way through :)

My old phone was Samsung, now it's an LG and super slow, but that might be the service too. I don't know.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 06/11/14 at 5:08 pm

This is what I mean, I took this quote from the wiki page:I took this quote from the wikipedia page, this is what I'm talking about:

So what are you saying about Barney? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 2:17 am

So what are you saying about Barney? ???
http://drawception.com/pub/panels/2013/10-27/yegb8q4PqX-4.png

Check for new replies or respond here...