inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you miss the Late-90's/Early-2000's?

Written By: Zach on 09/28/13 at 9:34 pm

Do you miss the Late-90's/Early-2000's?

I personally do.

Sure the music wasn't particially good because you had boy bands like the Backstreet Boys, Nysnc, and Hanson.  You also had the rise of post-grunge bands like Creed, Nickelback, Staind, and Puddle of Mudd, as well as nu-metal bands like Korn, Limp Bizkit, and Linkin Park.

But I'd MUCH rather hear a Nysnc song or a Creed song, THAN I would ever listen to anything that comes out of today's radio.  At least people still made music with instruments in the Late-90's, and not everything was all autotune-produced garbage.

Music aside, TV and cartoons were much better back then too.  Nickelodeon and Cartoon Network were both still fun to watch until around 2002 to 2003 when they started going downhill.

There were also a lot of 90's shows were either still airing or were in reruns.

So does anyone else miss miss the Late-90's/Early-2000's?

Subject: Re: Do you miss the Late-90's/Early-2000's?

Written By: whistledog on 09/29/13 at 7:32 pm

I don't miss topics like these

Written By: XYkid on 09/29/13 at 7:43 pm

Of course I do, it was the peak of my childhood.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/29/13 at 8:11 pm

All of the 90s up to about 2001 was a really happy time in my life. It was like bubbly and happy.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 09/29/13 at 9:47 pm

Yes, but 80% of stuff past 2006 can burn in hell.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/30/13 at 2:08 am

Yes, but 80% of stuff past 2006 can burn in hell.

..only until it's 2020. Then the late 00s will be the good old times  ::)

Why I am saying that? Because the era late 90s/early 00s was once hated, too.

Written By: Howard on 09/30/13 at 6:13 am

I don't miss topics like these

Me neither.

Written By: XYkid on 09/30/13 at 12:41 pm

This is true. It was only 5-8 years ago that people would say things like "eww, boy bands, so 90s". But now those are cool again.
Personally though, I will never miss the late 00s, probably the worst time of my life so far.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 10/08/13 at 11:13 pm

Very true. In fact, alot of people still hate the culture late 90's/early 00's, and, given the fact that Fred Durst was actually a serious figure in popular music at that time, I certainly can't blame them. It really all depends on age. I personally miss the late 90's/early 00's greatly, but that's because I was in junior high and high school at that time, and it's very common for people to have nostalgia for that time in their life. I don't miss Fred Durst's fifteen minutes of fame in the least, though.

A couple of years from now, once the 12-year-olds of 2009 start hitting their mid-20s, you'll unfortuately be seeing alot of Hannah Montana and Justin Bieber themed nostalgia. It's only a matter of time.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/09/13 at 1:24 pm

I was in my early 20s during that year and I didn't find it too too interesting at all.  :P

Written By: valleyroads on 10/10/13 at 4:40 am

1998-2002 was probably the happiest, most stable, most normal, part of my life, so yes I do.

Written By: Venomous Mask on 10/10/13 at 2:06 pm

The early 90s was a truly special period in terms of music, culture, and fashion.  While I love alot about the 80s, at the time, it seemed like the 80s was an evil dictator that had just been overthrown, and now the people were free from power ballads, ridiculous hair, and Reagan-esque he-man culture.  There was a tremendous blossoming of different creative styles that could not have happened under the old dynamic.  By the late 90s, however, it seemed like all these trends had been processed and watered-down, with much of the original creativity drained.  Grunge fashion just kind of floated off, and hip-hop fashion seemed to be frozen from 1997 to 2006.  New Age music became formulaic, creative grunge bands like Soundgarden made way for dull post-grunge bands like Nickelback.  Groove metal was bastardized into nu metal.  R&b and hip-hop, with a few exceptions, became heavily cliched and repetitive.  Pop music became more robotic, and gradually lost the funk and soul vibes of earlier years.

Granted, this happened in its own way in earlier decades, but in terms of quality and creativity, early 90s culture beats the hell out of late 90s culture.

Written By: XYkid on 10/10/13 at 2:19 pm

I agree with earlier posts that the early 90s were much better than the late 90s in terms of music, culture, and what not. Personally, being born in 94, I really can only remember the late 90s, and I remember those times with great fondness because it was my childhood. Even if there was less depth and meaning in the music, there was still much more than most of the crap that comes out today.
I love grunge and 90s alternative music, it's one of my favourite if not most favourite eras and genres of rock music. The 90s had great music all around, even the pop music had more feeling than anything made today. It was also a time when styles blended and it was a time when counterculture was mainstream, and there was truly something for everyone. You could turn on top 40 radio and one minute hear Alanis Morissette and the next hear the Spice Girls.
Everyone will miss the time they grew up in, if I were a teenager around the year 2000, my opinion would probably be much different. It's scary to think that in 10 years, kids today will start getting nostalgic for the late 2000s and today, but that's just how it goes.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/10/13 at 3:42 pm

I never really got past all of the Retal, combination of rap and metal, that was going on at the time.  I would have really rather cut my ears off than listen to that.  :P

Written By: Number Four on 10/10/13 at 9:31 pm

Granted, this happened in its own way in earlier decades, but in terms of quality and creativity, early 90s culture beats the hell out of late 90s culture.

I disagree. The early 90s had decent music and fashion, but no way could it beat the late-90s.  ???

Then again, maybe it's just the nostalgia talking.  8)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 10/12/13 at 12:32 pm

The early 90s was a truly special period in terms of music, culture, and fashion.  While I love alot about the 80s, at the time, it seemed like the 80s was an evil dictator that had just been overthrown, and now the people were free from power ballads, ridiculous hair, and Reagan-esque he-man culture.  There was a tremendous blossoming of different creative styles that could not have happened under the old dynamic.  By the late 90s, however, it seemed like all these trends had been processed and watered-down, with much of the original creativity drained.  Grunge fashion just kind of floated off, and hip-hop fashion seemed to be frozen from 1997 to 2006.  New Age music became formulaic, creative grunge bands like Soundgarden made way for dull post-grunge bands like Nickelback.  Groove metal was bastardized into nu metal.  R&b and hip-hop, with a few exceptions, became heavily cliched and repetitive.  Pop music became more robotic, and gradually lost the funk and soul vibes of earlier years.

There were still a lot of wild hair and power ballads in the early 90's. The wild hair was less mainstream, though.

Written By: behindblueeyes on 10/12/13 at 3:37 pm

I do.

Written By: The Valley Goth on 11/19/13 at 1:35 am

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I really didn't enjoy the late 1990s/ the early 2000s.  I feel an especially strong amount of animosity towards the year 1999/ 2000/ 2001. 

I was in college, eating bucketloads of salt, via instant soups, and not much else, as I was purposely starving myself.  I was hating the other college girls, who wore messy buns, because I was CERTAIN that THEY were getting screwed each night, while I was still lonely, standing near-suicidally on the fire escape, and only tossing a note of "I wish that somebody would love me!", or something, over the railing, before going back to the lounge!  I hated those girls for their primal, thoughtless successfulness.  I thought of them as slutty versions of Jane from Disney's "Tarzan".

You see, I had watched just about every movie about an Anorexic when I was younger, and I'd convinced myself that if a girl wanted to get screwed, she should starve herself until some guy felt sorry enough for her to screw her good, because each time that a movie Anorexic was in a really bad state, a guy appeared, and he sort of rescued her by making her promise to eat; essentially, she "won" him by being Anorexic, because she caught his attention enough to scare him, thereby "winning" him!  I had been sooo proud of my down-to-78 pounds weight loss, but, instead of becoming more confident, or more successful, I had become more depressed, as my stomach shrank to the point that eating even a small amount of food hurt.  My addiction to Cosmo, Marie Claire, etc., didn't help me, either.  I read all of that sex advise as though I was studying The Bible.

During 1999, I was dealing with a roommate who had had an abortion, and who was on medication, and in counseling.  This girl and I had a love/hate relationship, due to the way that she treated me.

During 2000, she died during a car accident, and, in an ironic twist of fate, her current friends couldn't seem to be located, so I was approached by the school newspaper reporter, and asked to talk about her.  I only told about the good times, because I was raised to be a polite girl, and because this girl was extremely troubled and sad, underneath all of her moody behavior.

I also always equate the late 1990s with wrist-slitting, and, to this day, I sometimes wish that I had had the nerve to be a cutter, if, for no OTHER reason than to have the ability to immediately relate to most of the other people who were born during the late 1970s.  I STILL feel like I don't belong to my generation because I didn't slit my wrists.  I wasn't above becoming Anorexic on purpose, and I already had a heart condition, so I was subject to fainting episodes; at least an Anorexic past allows me to PARTIALLY relate to my generation, to really BELONG to that generation, because suffering seems to be the only connection between Generation Xers.  If only my parents had divorced, and if only I'd slit my wrists, I'd TRULY belong, and 100%, to Generation X. 

I wonder how many points being sort of Goth gets somebody...or how many points one can earn for having really thought that Christina Ricci was cool in "Casper", or how many points you get if your cousin really did die when you were both super young... :(  I'm not personally asking for pity, but I wonder exactly how much pain a Generation Xer must suffer in the name of belonging to Generation X, because I have ALWAYS been totally committed to suffering more, and more, and more, until I could be destroyed enough to be told that I belonged to my generation.  If that meant wishing that my folks would get a divorce, or trying to convince myself to become 100% suicidal (I never had the...whatever it took...to be like that, either), or becoming self-destructive, I was always more than eager to do whatever it took to be more like my contemporaries, although I was always falling short of truly belonging...

I have ALWAYS somehow felt upset about my inability to fit in with the ultimate Pity Kitty/ self-pitying/ "If you haven't suffered, then you aren't one of US!"/ "Crucify yourself in the name of conformity, and we'll FINALLY accept you!" generation of all time...although I've had so many surgeries (and even, ironically enough, a scar on my wrist BECAUSE of one of the earliest of those surgeries) that I don't think that I'd ever want to REALLY feel the pain of injuring myself that badly...I haven't the...WHATEVER it takes...to do the ultimately unthinkable...to myself, and, believe me, I've done TONS of unthinkable things to myself, in the name of belonging to my generation, or punishing myself for thinking thoughts that didn't fit within social boundaries, or whatever.

If my experience is only a California/ Oregon/ West Coast experience, and I hope, for the sake of the rest of the Generation Xers here, that it is, please tell me so.  I'll admit that I have always paid far too much attention to news stories (The girls who hurt themselves always get the fame, and the girls who are life-affirming get NOTHING!), Hollywood cliches, and the words of any and all people who talk to me.

Of course, the ultimate cruelty of the world in which the 1999 college student lived was the attitude of "You must starve yourself, and slit your wrists, and suffer through your parents' divorce, and THEN you must look like Kate Moss, and be popular, and be cruel to those who have parents, or money, or even one sunny aspect of their lives...until THEY feel so guilty and alone that THEY will obediently starve themselves, and..."

I'm suddenly wondering which aspects of America could drive an ENTIRE GENERATION to be so eager to tout suffering as the ultimate in generational bonding glue...
:(

Written By: warped on 11/19/13 at 12:08 pm

No, I don't miss them.  The late-90's/Early-2000's feels like yesterday.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 11/19/13 at 2:04 pm

Like, Hi, Fer Shurr,

I really didn't enjoy the late 1990s/ the early 2000s.  I feel an especially strong amount of animosity towards the year 1999/ 2000/ 2001. 

I was in college, eating bucketloads of salt, via instant soups, and not much else, as I was purposely starving myself.  I was hating the other college girls, who wore messy buns, because I was CERTAIN that THEY were getting screwed each night, while I was still lonely, standing near-suicidally on the fire escape, and only tossing a note of "I wish that somebody would love me!", or something, over the railing, before going back to the lounge!  I hated those girls for their primal, thoughtless successfulness.  I thought of them as slutty versions of Jane from Disney's "Tarzan".

You see, I had watched just about every movie about an Anorexic when I was younger, and I'd convinced myself that if a girl wanted to get screwed, she should starve herself until some guy felt sorry enough for her to screw her good, because each time that a movie Anorexic was in a really bad state, a guy appeared, and he sort of rescued her by making her promise to eat; essentially, she "won" him by being Anorexic, because she caught his attention enough to scare him, thereby "winning" him!  I had been sooo proud of my down-to-78 pounds weight loss, but, instead of becoming more confident, or more successful, I had become more depressed, as my stomach shrank to the point that eating even a small amount of food hurt.  My addiction to Cosmo, Marie Claire, etc., didn't help me, either.  I read all of that sex advise as though I was studying The Bible.

During 1999, I was dealing with a roommate who had had an abortion, and who was on medication, and in counseling.  This girl and I had a love/hate relationship, due to the way that she treated me.

During 2000, she died during a car accident, and, in an ironic twist of fate, her current friends couldn't seem to be located, so I was approached by the school newspaper reporter, and asked to talk about her.  I only told about the good times, because I was raised to be a polite girl, and because this girl was extremely troubled and sad, underneath all of her moody behavior.

I also always equate the late 1990s with wrist-slitting, and, to this day, I sometimes wish that I had had the nerve to be a cutter, if, for no OTHER reason than to have the ability to immediately relate to most of the other people who were born during the late 1970s.  I STILL feel like I don't belong to my generation because I didn't slit my wrists.  I wasn't above becoming Anorexic on purpose, and I already had a heart condition, so I was subject to fainting episodes; at least an Anorexic past allows me to PARTIALLY relate to my generation, to really BELONG to that generation, because suffering seems to be the only connection between Generation Xers.  If only my parents had divorced, and if only I'd slit my wrists, I'd TRULY belong, and 100%, to Generation X. 

I wonder how many points being sort of Goth gets somebody...or how many points one can earn for having really thought that Christina Ricci was cool in "Casper", or how many points you get if your cousin really did die when you were both super young... :(  I'm not personally asking for pity, but I wonder exactly how much pain a Generation Xer must suffer in the name of belonging to Generation X, because I have ALWAYS been totally committed to suffering more, and more, and more, until I could be destroyed enough to be told that I belonged to my generation.  If that meant wishing that my folks would get a divorce, or trying to convince myself to become 100% suicidal (I never had the...whatever it took...to be like that, either), or becoming self-destructive, I was always more than eager to do whatever it took to be more like my contemporaries, although I was always falling short of truly belonging...

I have ALWAYS somehow felt upset about my inability to fit in with the ultimate Pity Kitty/ self-pitying/ "If you haven't suffered, then you aren't one of US!"/ "Crucify yourself in the name of conformity, and we'll FINALLY accept you!" generation of all time...although I've had so many surgeries (and even, ironically enough, a scar on my wrist BECAUSE of one of the earliest of those surgeries) that I don't think that I'd ever want to REALLY feel the pain of injuring myself that badly...I haven't the...WHATEVER it takes...to do the ultimately unthinkable...to myself, and, believe me, I've done TONS of unthinkable things to myself, in the name of belonging to my generation, or punishing myself for thinking thoughts that didn't fit within social boundaries, or whatever.

If my experience is only a California/ Oregon/ West Coast experience, and I hope, for the sake of the rest of the Generation Xers here, that it is, please tell me so.  I'll admit that I have always paid far too much attention to news stories (The girls who hurt themselves always get the fame, and the girls who are life-affirming get NOTHING!), Hollywood cliches, and the words of any and all people who talk to me.

Of course, the ultimate cruelty of the world in which the 1999 college student lived was the attitude of "You must starve yourself, and slit your wrists, and suffer through your parents' divorce, and THEN you must look like Kate Moss, and be popular, and be cruel to those who have parents, or money, or even one sunny aspect of their lives...until THEY feel so guilty and alone that THEY will obediently starve themselves, and..."

I'm suddenly wondering which aspects of America could drive an ENTIRE GENERATION to be so eager to tout suffering as the ultimate in generational bonding glue...
:(

I am really sorry that happened =///////

We all have to understand that not everyone loves the 90s as much as we do for personal reasons.

Check for new replies or respond here...