inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2004 is almost 10 years old

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/10/13 at 12:02 pm

2014 is right around the corner which means 2004 will be 10 years old.

Some things that happened in 2004:

-Martha Stewart sentenced to 5 months in prison.
-John Kerry and George Bush go head to head in the presidential race. Bush wins a second term.
-Filmmaker Michael Moore releases Fahrenheit 9/11
-Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ is released.
-The Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction" during Janet Jackson's and Justin Timberlake's half time performance.
-American Idol remained one of the top-rated shows on television.
-Paris Hilton made headlines for starring in Fox's The Simple Life with Nicole Richie and started her own clothing and perfume line.

Some music of 2004 includes:
-Confessions, Usher
-Encore, Eminem
-Live Like You Were Dying, Tim McGraw
-Songs About Jane, Maroon 5
-Fallen, Evanescence
-Numb, Linkin Park
-Toxic, Britney Spears
-The Reason, Hoobastank
-Here Without You, 3 Doors Down
-The First Cut Is the Deepest, Sheryl Crow

Movies from 2004:
-Mean Girls
-Anchorman:The Legend of Ron Burgundy
-The Notebook
-Saw
-Crash
-The Incredibles
-Troy
-Sideways
-Spider-Man 2
-Harry potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
-Million Dollar Baby
-Shrek 2

Television shows of 2004:
-Lost
-House
-Entourage
-Desperate Housewives
-CSI:NY
-Deadwood
-Veronica Mars
-Drake and Josh
-Rescue Me
-The Biggest Loser
-Summerland
-The X Factor
-Friends ends after 10 seasons

Subject: Re: 2004 is almost 10 years old

Written By: warped on 11/10/13 at 12:15 pm

My favorite part of 2004 was this:

American League Championship Series. Boston comes back from trailing 3 games to none versus the New York Yankees and take the next four games to win that series 4 games to 3, and then go on to beat the STL Cards (just like they did a few weeks back) and win the World Series, killing the curse of the Babe.

Will never forget the home run by Ortiz in the 14th inning to win game 5 of the ALCS.    8)

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/10/13 at 1:33 pm

People born in 2000 will be turning 14. People born in 2001 will be turning 13! I was 13 years old in 2004 and turned 14 in December of 2004.

Written By: XYkid on 11/10/13 at 2:11 pm

Hard to believe it's almost been a whole decade. 2004 was a very special year for me, looking at this list brings back so many good memories.

Written By: Howard on 11/10/13 at 4:01 pm

Hard to believe it's almost been a whole decade. 2004 was a very special year for me, looking at this list brings back so many good memories.

I know, where'd do these years go? They're flying by so damn quickly.  :o

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/10/13 at 5:05 pm

In 2014 I will be a legal adult for a whole decade.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/10/13 at 5:59 pm

I know, where'd do these years go? They're flying by so damn quickly.  :o
yes indeed!

Written By: Funboat on 11/12/13 at 1:57 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/yo/thumb/e/e0/Athens_2004_logo.svg/152px-Athens_2004_logo.svg.png

Written By: popguru85 on 11/12/13 at 2:25 pm

Man, I feel old now. I graduated High School in 2004 and I also remember these
Ken Jennings Jeopardy Win Streak
GTA San Andreas came out
John Kerry/George W. Bush election
The Apprentice
Ray Charles' Biopic
Chappelle's Show 2nd season (I'm Rick James....was quoted ad nauseum)

there's tons more

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/12/13 at 5:45 pm

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/yo/thumb/e/e0/Athens_2004_logo.svg/152px-Athens_2004_logo.svg.png
I don't know how I forgot the 2004 Olympics. That was huge.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/12/13 at 5:46 pm

Man, I feel old now. I graduated High School in 2004 and I also remember these
Ken Jennings Jeopardy Win Streak
GTA San Andreas came out
John Kerry/George W. Bush election
The Apprentice
Ray Charles' Biopic
Chappelle's Show 2nd season (I'm Rick James....was quoted ad nauseum)

there's tons more
I was in 7th/8th grade in 2004. I remember watching Ken Jennings every night after school. I only watched Jeopardy until he stopped winning lol

Written By: 80sfan on 11/12/13 at 9:40 pm

2004? In my personal life I was going through a dark moody phase. Oh wait, it's called being a 15 year old teenager!  8) 8)

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/12/13 at 10:09 pm

2004? In my personal life I was going through a dark moody phase. Oh wait, it's called being a 15 year old teenager!  8) 8)
ya know, when I was 15 I couldn't wait to be a grown up and in my 20s. Now that I'm approaching my mid 20s very quickly, I kind of want those years back.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/12/13 at 11:57 pm

ya know, when I was 15 I couldn't wait to be a grown up and in my 20s. Now that I'm approaching my mid 20s very quickly, I kind of want those years back.

When I was 15 I wanted to be 15, without the moody emotional thing teens go through.  :-X

Written By: Howard on 11/13/13 at 6:42 am

In 2014 I will be a legal adult for a whole decade.

In 2014, I'll be 40. Would you believe that?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/13/13 at 12:03 pm

In 2014, I'll be 40. Would you believe that?

You were obviously born in 1974, so I have to  ;)

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/15/13 at 12:26 pm

This was a fun little trip down memory lane:

-John Kerry and George Bush go head to head in the presidential race. Bush wins a second term.

I remember this election all too well, because it was the first I was really old enough to care that much about. I was less than a year away from turning 18, and really wishing that I could personally go to the polls to cast a vote against George W. Bush, so I was naturally less than ecstatic when he was re-elected. This was back when I was still in my wild-eyed, Democratic activist days, before I became the more cynical, bitter non-partisan skeptic of our entire political system that I am today. Ah, youth. ;D

-Filmmaker Michael Moore releases Fahrenheit 9/11

As I said, I was still in my wild-eyed, Democratic activist days, so I of course went to go see this in theaters that summer.

-Mel Gibson's Passion of the Christ is released.

Even though I'm not the most religious guy you'll meet, the amount of hype around PotC was just too great for me to miss out on, so I went to go catch this with my grandparent's church group about a week or two after it premiered. I was then (and still am now) shocked at how violent and graphic a film it was.

-The Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction" during Janet Jackson's and Justin Timberlake's half time performance.

I had the misfortune of watching this live with my parents. I'll just say that I'm lucky that the camera shot of an exposed Janet Jackson only lasted a split second and leave it at that. :-
Some music of 2004 includes:
-Confessions, Usher
-Encore, Eminem
-Live Like You Were Dying, Tim McGraw
-Songs About Jane, Maroon 5
-Fallen, Evanescence
-Numb, Linkin Park
-Toxic, Britney Spears
-The Reason, Hoobastank
-Here Without You, 3 Doors Down
-The First Cut Is the Deepest, Sheryl Crow

Yeesh, I still can't get that terrible 3 Doors Down song out of my ears. 8-P Still, 2004 (while not being as good as '03) was a pretty solid music year overall. I liked most of the other songs on this list back then, but I'd say my favorite song of the year was probably The Killers' "Mr. Brightside".

Movies from 2004:
-Mean Girls
-Anchorman:The Legend of Ron Burgundy
-The Notebook
-Saw
-Crash
-The Incredibles
-Troy
-Sideways
-Spider-Man 2
-Harry potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
-Million Dollar Baby
-Shrek 2

Great year for movies. I saw four of these in the theater that year (Harry Potter: PoA, Spider-Man 2, Anchorman and Troy), in addition to Welcome to Mooseport (don't ask). Add in the aforementioned Passion of the Christ and Fahrenheit 9/11 and that's a total of 7 films, which is the most I've ever watched in the theater in a calender year.

Television shows of 2004:
-Lost
-House
-Entourage
-Desperate Housewives
-CSI:NY
-Deadwood
-Veronica Mars
-Drake and Josh
-Rescue Me
-The Biggest Loser
-Summerland
-The X Factor
-Friends ends after 10 seasons

Pretty solid year for television. I've never been big on the "talent" type shows (a'la American Idol), but I did get hooked on Lost that fall. I also, like everybody else, remember watching the Friends finale that spring.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/15/13 at 2:51 pm

Yeesh, I still can't get that terrible 3 Doors Down song out of my ears. 8-P Still, 2004 (while not being as good as '03) was a pretty solid music year overall. I liked most of the other songs on this list back then, but I'd say my favorite song of the year was probably The Killers' "Mr. Brightside".

I actually liked that song and still do.  :)

This song was released in 2004 as well. This is when they were at their peak. I don't care for Maroon 5 these days. In fact, Adam's whiney voice really annoys me now. It seems to have gotten worse over the last few years.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPpTgCho5ZA

Written By: Howard on 11/15/13 at 3:44 pm

I actually liked that song and still do.  :)

This song was released in 2004 as well. This is when they were at their peak. I don't care for Maroon 5 these days. In fact, Adam's whiney voice really annoys me now. It seems to have gotten worse over the last few years.

this is the only song of theirs I like.

Written By: whistledog on 11/15/13 at 6:46 pm

People born in 2000 will be turning 14. People born in 2001 will be turning 13!

Really.  Tell me more

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/15/13 at 9:12 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPpTgCho5ZA

We agree on this one. ;)

I've never been that big of a Maroon 5 fan either, but "This Love" is catchy as hell. I also remember seeing that video on Fuse like thirty times a day back then, in the bad old days when you still had to watch music videos on television.

Written By: XYkid on 11/16/13 at 2:42 am

We agree on this one. ;)

I've never been that big of a Maroon 5 fan either, but "This Love" is catchy as hell. I also remember seeing that video on Fuse like thirty times a day back then, in the bad old days when you still had to watch music videos on television.
Maroon 5 got old for me so fast. I literally wanted to shoot the radio whenever a song of theirs came on.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/16/13 at 3:48 am

2004 was the year I got HighSpeed internet access. I live in a rural area and it was not available for my street before.
But I was limited to 1 GB traffic per month - after that I had to pay for every single Megabyte. Unbelievable in comparison to today's standards where it is not uncommon to download a Gigabyte in 10-20 minutes or so.

Written By: XYkid on 11/16/13 at 3:56 am

2004 was the year I got HighSpeed internet access. I live in a rural area and it was not available for my street before.
But I was limited to 1 GB traffic per month - after that I had to pay for every single Megabyte. Unbelievable in comparison to today's standards where it is not uncommon to download a Gigabyte in 10-20 minutes or so.
In 2004, my dad installed a 30 GB hard drive on my computer, he told me "this will last you forever".
Even 1 GB was a lot in those days.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 11/16/13 at 4:10 am

In 2004, my dad installed a 30 GB hard drive on my computer, he told me "this will last you forever".
Even 1 GB was a lot in those days.

Ok, I already had an 80 GB HDD back then, but even this insufficient only 2 years later. In 2006 I had to add a 160 GB HDD.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/16/13 at 5:50 pm

I didn't get a high speed, DSL internet connection until the summer of 2006, and even then, it was really unreliable compared to my current set up.

I still remember what it was like going on YouTube in my early months of discovering and using the site, and having to watch videos with a dial-up connection. Geez, what a pain! Even if I was just trying to watch a little three minute music video, I would have to set up the video, then go do something else for like 30 minutes while I waited for that old red bar to finish loading completely. I remember trying to watch a full movie someone uploaded once, and having to wait almost six hours for the whole video to load.

Written By: Funboat on 11/16/13 at 5:56 pm

I didn't get a high speed, DSL internet connection until the summer of 2006, and even then, it was really unreliable compared to my current set up.

I still remember what it was like going on YouTube in my early months of discovering and using the site, and having to watch videos with a dial-up connection. Geez, what a pain! Even if I was just trying to watch a little three minute music video, I would have to set up the video, then go do something else for like 30 minutes while I waited for that old red bar to finish loading completely. I remember trying to watch a full movie someone uploaded once, and having to wait almost six hours for the whole video to load.

There were times in the '00s when I couldn't even have an entire video load. For example, a video may have been ten minutes in length, but my computer would stop loading after the first six or seven minutes, meaning that even when the video had "loaded", I couldn't watch the whole thing.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 11/16/13 at 6:21 pm

There were times in the '00s when I couldn't even have an entire video load. For example, a video may have been ten minutes in length, but my computer would stop loading after the first six or seven minutes, meaning that even when the video had "loaded", I couldn't watch the whole thing.

Yeah, I had that happen more than a few times myself.

The thing that I hated the most was when my dial-up would get disconnected right in the middle of me trying to load a video. >:(

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/16/13 at 7:43 pm

I had dial up internet all through high school. (graduated in 2009) I didn't get faster internet until college. (2010)

Written By: Howard on 11/17/13 at 3:51 pm

That's because everything back then was slow to load, now in 2013 you have much faster internet connections and videos now are quicker than ever.

Written By: Howard on 11/17/13 at 3:52 pm

Yeah, I had that happen more than a few times myself.

The thing that I hated the most was when my dial-up would get disconnected right in the middle of me trying to load a video. >:(

and you had to connect again. ::)

Written By: XYkid on 11/22/13 at 12:15 am

The 2000s will mostly be remembered for 80s nostalgia, but I remember there was a lot of 70s nostalgia in 2004. Anchorman is a prime example, there were also several disco influenced songs on the charts that year (although they were mostly overshadowed by the glam rap). I also remember seeing lots of women wearing 70s inspired clothing, like flare jeans and ponchos. I remember my mum got a fashion catalogue and pointed out how it looked like the things she wore in high school.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 11/22/13 at 1:57 am

I think the 00's had a little more 70's throwbacks than 80's. It just wasn't as hyped as the 80's. Just like the 60's nostalgia in the 90's was possibly more common, but not as talked about as the 70's stuff.

Written By: snowstorm on 11/22/13 at 4:16 pm

Wow, I can't believe 2004 is almost 10 years old!

I was 9 in 2004.  Time flies I guess.

Written By: XYkid on 11/22/13 at 4:59 pm

I think the 00's had a little more 70's throwbacks than 80's. It just wasn't as hyped as the 80's. Just like the 60's nostalgia in the 90's was possibly more common, but not as talked about as the 70's stuff.
That's true, although I noticed a lot of 80s nostalgia in 2002. There was some 80s inspired songs on the charts in '04 too though, like the Killers and Franz Ferdinand.
There's still plenty of 70s and 80s nostagia right now, especially in music. There is some 90s nostalgia, but it's mostly in fashion so far.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 11/22/13 at 5:32 pm

Wow, I can't believe 2004 is almost 10 years old!

I was 9 in 2004.  Time flies I guess.

I know right? I was 13 years old.

Written By: thenewtattoo on 11/22/13 at 7:42 pm

The 2000s will mostly be remembered for 80s nostalgia, but I remember there was a lot of 70s nostalgia in 2004. Anchorman is a prime example, there were also several disco influenced songs on the charts that year (although they were mostly overshadowed by the glam rap). I also remember seeing lots of women wearing 70s inspired clothing, like flare jeans and ponchos. I remember my mum got a fashion catalogue and pointed out how it looked like the things she wore in high school.

remember when gwen came out with her first solo album she pretty much started the whole 2000s  80s movement

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvPAjT-jads

Written By: Emman on 11/23/13 at 2:01 pm

In 2004 most of the top 40 songs was hip-hop or R&B, nu metal was still lingering, post-grunge was the dominant rock style.
I was already out of high school by this time too, turning 19 this year.

Written By: XYkid on 11/23/13 at 3:14 pm

In 2004 most of the top 40 songs was hip-hop or R&B, nu metal was still lingering, post-grunge was the dominant rock style.
I was already out of high school by this time too, turning 19 this year.
Yeah, Urban pop was EVERYWHERE in 2004, especially where I lived at the time (Houston, Texas). I mostly listened to Mix stations and Radio Disney at the time, which played very little rap however, so I mostly remember the rock/pop hits of that year.

Written By: RandomRoulette on 11/23/13 at 3:15 pm

That's true, although I noticed a lot of 80s nostalgia in 2002. There was some 80s inspired songs on the charts in '04 too though, like the Killers and Franz Ferdinand.
There's still plenty of 70s and 80s nostagia right now, especially in music. There is some 90s nostalgia, but it's mostly in fashion so far.

I enjoyed the "Take Me Out" song by Franz Ferdinand

Written By: Howard on 11/23/13 at 4:00 pm

and The PS2 was still a hot game console for the kids to play.

Written By: popguru85 on 11/23/13 at 9:10 pm

and The PS2 was still a hot game console for the kids to play.

Still have my old fat one working to this day.

Written By: Howard on 11/24/13 at 3:44 pm

Still have my old fat one working to this day.

I gave mine back to Gamestop so that I could buy a PS3.

Written By: robby76 on 11/30/13 at 3:31 am

Really.  Tell me more

People born in 2002 will be turning 12?  :D

2004 may be 10 yrs old, but songs like this never age. It's also a good case against the 'all post-2000 music is crap' argument.

u86VdOc3asA

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/13 at 3:29 pm

Britney Spears was starting to go crazy during this time. Remember her January 2004 Vegas marriage that lasted only 55 hours?

http://fashionista.com/uploads/2012/10/britney-spears-jason-marriage.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/02/13 at 7:44 pm

Britney Spears was starting to go crazy during this time. Remember her January 2004 Vegas marriage that lasted only 55 hours?

http://fashionista.com/uploads/2012/10/britney-spears-jason-marriage.jpg

He was dropped like a hot potato.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/13 at 7:47 pm

He was dropped like a hot potato.

I forgot who dumped who out of those two, not that it really matters!  :-X

Written By: Howard on 12/02/13 at 8:23 pm

I forgot who dumped who out of those two, not that it really matters!  :-X

She just wasn't interested in him.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/02/13 at 8:28 pm

She was having an identity crisis.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/13 at 8:41 pm

She was having an identity crisis.

Yup, and the 2004 marriage was the beginning of it!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/02/13 at 8:43 pm

Other things besides Britney  ;), that was popular in 2004 was....

Lindsay Lohan was pretty popular. Her movies Freaky Friday (2003) and Mean Girls (2004) made her famous.

Rap was HUGE during 2004. It was everywhere!

I remember Shrek 2 doing good at the movies.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/03/13 at 1:19 am

It will be in April 2014 inthe00s will be celebrating our 10th anniversary.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/13 at 7:15 am

Yup, and the 2004 marriage was the beginning of it!

Then she goes on by shaving her head bald.

Written By: Howard on 12/03/13 at 7:17 am

Wow! 10 years already? It lasted this long. :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/09/13 at 1:52 pm

The original Nintendo DS came out

The slim ps2 came out

Nickelodeons Neds declassified premiered

I graduated from elementary/started middle school

1983 borns were legally able to drink

1986 borns became legal

I went to 6th grade camp

Def jam: fight for NY was popular

Halo 2 came out

Ronald Reagan died

Facebook was created

Venture bros premiered

Fosters home premiered

Cartoon Network changed their logo

White chicks movie came out

Written By: Howard on 12/09/13 at 7:44 pm

The slim ps2 came out

I used to own a PS2 but then later on I upgraded to a PS3.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/09/13 at 9:20 pm

I remember watching the first Anchorman movie in theaters in 2004 at age 13.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/09/13 at 9:43 pm

the second one comes on Christmas. I bet the theaters are gonna be crowded whe it comes out.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/13 at 7:28 am

I loved the first Anchorman.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/19/13 at 12:56 am

Was this the year The Dixie Chicks were under fire for their remarks about Bush and the war? Or was it in 2003?

Written By: XYkid on 12/19/13 at 8:46 am

Was this the year The Dixie Chicks were under fire for their remarks about Bush and the war? Or was it in 2003?
That was 2003.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 12/19/13 at 12:41 pm

Damn I graduated in 2004.  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/14 at 10:02 am

I loved the first Anchorman.
Saw Anchorman 2 the other day and fun it as funny as the first.

Written By: 1993 on 02/23/14 at 10:51 am

I was never a big fan of anchorman. Other than the flute scene I fond it kind of meh. I realize I'm in the minority here

2004 we had a vicious election with Bush v. Kerry.

Marlon Brando passed away that year as well

Written By: Ripley on 02/23/14 at 7:31 pm

Saw Anchorman 2 the other day and fun it as funny as the first.

I've not even seen the first one.  I like Will Ferrell but it's not a big deal to me to watch this.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/14 at 11:13 am

I've not even seen the first one.  I like Will Ferrell but it's not a big deal to me to watch this.
I understand that Will Ferrell is one of the voices in "The Lego Movie".

Written By: Ripley on 02/24/14 at 7:19 pm

Really?  I'm planning on renting it when it comes to video stores.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/14 at 4:55 am

Really?  I'm planning on renting it when it comes to video stores.
We plan  cinema visit.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/04/14 at 8:40 pm

I was never a big fan of anchorman. Other than the flute scene I fond it kind of meh. I realize I'm in the minority here

2004 we had a vicious election with Bush v. Kerry.

Marlon Brando passed away that year as well

I thought Anchorman was hilarious, but my taste in movies was different back then and some of them I used to like now I don't find as funny these days.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/05/14 at 12:23 pm

I thought Anchorman was hilarious, but my taste in movies was different back then and some of them I used to like now I don't find as funny these days.
Now there is an extended Anchorman 2 on release.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/14 at 9:57 am

I think I missed the party!

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/28/14 at 9:39 am

Now there is an extended Anchorman 2 on release.

I'm almost tempted to watch it because I saw the first, might as well see the second, right? I just don't know if it would be good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/14 at 12:07 pm

I'm almost tempted to watch it because I saw the first, might as well see the second, right? I just don't know if it would be good.
Yes, the second is good, but I only saw the shorter version

Written By: Howard on 05/28/14 at 2:14 pm

the first one was good.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/14 at 2:30 pm

the first one was good.
I may watch the first one again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/14 at 10:36 am

We watched Anchorman 2 last weekend.

Written By: XYkid on 06/05/14 at 5:54 pm

No offence, but why do we have 5 topics on 2004? Can't we just have one big megathread? That'd make it easier.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/14 at 6:09 am

No offence, but why do we have 5 topics on 2004? Can't we just have one big megathread? That'd make it easier.
In truth, this thread is redundant now, for 2004 is more than 10 years old now.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/14 at 4:09 pm

In truth, this thread is redundant now, for 2004 is more than 10 years old now.

I agree, we can make it one big thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...