inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Forgotten 2000's Artist Of The Week (Remy Ma)

Written By: MarioDaDon on 12/08/13 at 9:04 pm

For those who arent familar with the female rapper "Remy Ma" she the indivual who had the infamous second verse on "Lean Back" which ascended to #1 in the summer of 2004
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajmI1P3r1w4

After lean back , Remy ma began preparations for her own solo album "There's Something About Remy:Based On A True Story" releasing two singles from the album in 2005 which did moderately well on the Hot 100 , "Conceited" & "Whuteva"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2WjyuC3vPs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLJVyeEQNm4

The album moved 37,000 units in its opening week and 158,000 units within the first year, low due to Universal Records' poor promotion. On the other hand, the album received outstanding reviews from XXL Magazine with XL to Rolling Stone and Vibe Magazine.

Fat Joe and Remy were frustrated at the way the album was being promoted by Universal and how the label wasn't releasing the right singles. With the solo albums lackluster debut, Smith decided to end her relationship with Fat Joe and the Terror Squad, breaking her deal with SRC/Universal in the process.

After her departure from Terror Squad, which was confirmed on April 10, 2007, Smith had a slew of new deals and offers coming from both record companies and television alike. She was in talks to record her own VH1 reality TV show in which cameras would follow her hectic life as a female rapper in the male-dominated rap scene. She was also busy recording her sophomore album PunisHER named after her mentor Big Pun , Release her first single from the album "Fresh" Also in the works was Remy Ma's debut album as part of the all-female rap supergroup 3Sum, alongside female rappers Shawnna and Jacki-O. All of these plans were officially postponed and put on hold after taking part in a shooting incident that almost put her career to a complete halt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNWu-BRWStE
On July 13, 2007, Smith turned herself in to New York City police in relation to a shooting early that morning outside a Manhattan nightclub. Police say that while she was with a group of people outside the Pizza Bar, a Manhattan nightspot, a fight broke out at 4 a.m. During the entire incident, a gunshot to the torso wounded Makeda Barnes-Joseph, who has been accused of stealing thousands of dollars from Remy. Police sources indicate that Barnes-Joseph later identified Smith as the shooter. Security tapes from inside the club showed no evidence of any altercations or arguments. Smith pleaded not guilty to charges of attempted murder, assault, and criminal weapon possession. Smith was later charged with witness tampering and assault after an August 2007 incident in which she was accused of causing several male friends to attack a witness' boyfriend.

Smith retained the services of the attorney Ivan Fisher. However, on March 27, 2008, Smith was convicted of assault, illegal weapon possession and attempted coercion in connection with these charges. She was immediately taken into custody pending sentencing scheduled for May 13 . Remy Ma is serving her eight-year term at the Bedford Hills Correctional Facility for Women in Bedford Hills, New York located in Westchester County and is expecting to be released in 2015.

Subject: Re: Forgotten 2000's Artist Of The Week (Remy Ma)

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/24/16 at 6:39 pm

This topic became interesting to me all of a sudden. I gotta post.

I used to dislike Never Leave by Lumidee, but I ran into the video's thumbnail and was amazed how nostalgic the beat is. I did have a sense she was popular at the time of her hit single. And now I'm getting the sudden sense her relevancy was over by 04.

Check for new replies or respond here...