inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: the mid 00s

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/16/13 at 6:51 pm

Does anyone feel that the mid 00s are starting to be old now since it is about to be 8 to 10 years old?

Everything that was popular during that time is not popular anymore.

Ipods aren't popular anymore

MySpace isn't popular anymore

Some musicians from that time has retired

The Gamecube/PS2/Xbox isn't popular anymore

DVDS aren't popular anymore

Bulky TVs aren't popular anymore

Regular cellphones aren't popular anymore

Digital cameras/camcorders aren't popular anymore

Desktops aren't popular anymore

Dial-up and broadband Internet isn't popular anymore

Subject: Re: the mid 00s

Written By: XYkid on 12/16/13 at 7:36 pm

Yes, because we use our phones as MP3 players.

It's mostly used by musicians now, but yeah for the most part no one uses myspace anymore.

Some people still watch films using DVDs.

They were already becoming outdated by the mid 00s. We got our first flat screen TV in 2006.

Because we have our phones for that now.

Yet they're still being used in cubicles everywhere.

Most people use broadband internet in their homes today because it has become so widely available.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/16/13 at 7:43 pm

DVDs aren't popular anymore? I think a huge portion of consumers, myself included, still buy DVDs because they don't think it's worth the extra money for blu-ray.

I don't really think blu-ray will quite force DVD into obsolescence the way DVD did to VHS. I think both formats will be produced in tandem for at least a few more years.

I think people are wising-up/paranoid too that the entertainment industry will come out with another format once they get comfortable making the switch to blu-ray. If you think back to the '80s when VHS first started coming out, that was really the first home video format. Before that if you wanted to watch your favorite movie, you had to wait until it either came on TV or the local cinema was playing it. So when VHS came out, home video was really a new concept and I doubt people bothered to wonder if another format would come along and replace it. When DVD came out and VHS started fading, people had to restart their film collections. With that in mind, some people are reluctant to spend $40 on a blu-ray disc when they know it's possible something else could come along and replace it soon, so they choose to stick with the devil that they know.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/16/13 at 8:33 pm

DVDs are still extremely popular. They are not going away anytime soon. Blu-ray really isn't that popular. Nobody in my family or circle of friends buy them or have a Blu-ray player. We all use DVDs still. Blu-ray really isn't all that different from DVDs. It looks the same to me.                    Digital Cameras are still very popular. Pictures from your phone just don't have the same quality as a decent digital camera.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 1:21 am

I thought DVDS were being replaced.  Its just that I've seen some Blu-ray players and not many DVD players these days.  Also I would have thought of more things other than what's not popular anymore but I couldn't think of anything else.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/17/13 at 2:13 am

I still have:

-a bulky TV ('04)
-a DVD player ('03)
-regular cell phone ('11)
-a desktop pc ('09)
-a rather old DSLR camera ('06)

Everything is still working fine - and because of this, I don't think the mid 00s are old yet. Technology changes fast, but you also have to change your mindset at the same speed... and that's not the case. It's like yesterday when all this stuff was still new.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/13 at 2:43 am

To me, the mid-00s are still 'in touch with the times.'

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 7:50 am

I still have:

-a bulky TV ('04)
-a DVD player ('03)
-regular cell phone ('11)
-a desktop pc ('09)
-a rather old DSLR camera ('06)

Everything is still working fine - and because of this, I don't think the mid 00s are old yet. Technology changes fast, but you also have to change your mindset at the same speed... and that's not the case. It's like yesterday when all this stuff was still new.
Isn't Germany behind on technology?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 7:52 am

To me, the mid-00s are still 'in touch with the times.'
that may be true to you,  but that time is over 5 years and is about to be 10 years old.

Written By: Creeder on 12/17/13 at 10:40 am

Isn't Germany behind on technology?

Hell no! Germany is ahead of technology.
But why replace perfectly fine tech just to look cool?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 11:44 am

Hell no! Germany is ahead of technology.
But why replace perfectly fine tech just to look cool?
do they have teleporters?

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/17/13 at 12:23 pm

I thought DVDS were being replaced.  Its just that I've seen some Blu-ray players and not many DVD players these days.  Also I would have thought of more things other than what's not popular anymore but I couldn't think of anything else.

I was at Best Buy and Wal Mart yesterday and I saw DVD players, DVD/VHS player combinations, and Blu-Ray/DVD player combinations.

DVDs are not going anywhere anytime soon. Look at CDs. Even though we have ipods and iphones with itunes, people are still buying CDs. New CDs are always coming out. Same with DVDs. If the media industry felt that these technologies were dying they would no longer feel the need to release new music/movies onto these technologies.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/17/13 at 12:40 pm

do they have teleporters?

No, we aren't behind technology. Some gadgets usually get introduced a few months later than in the US (e. g. iPhone in November 2007) and they are a bit more expensive over here, but that's it. I have clearly indicated when I have bought the stuff - at a time, when it was also common in the US. It's not that this is still available in German shops in 2013. It's still working and that's the reason why I still have it. I just don't throw away stuff just because it is not popular anymore.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/17/13 at 12:49 pm

that may be true to you,  but that time is over 5 years and is about to be 10 years old.

What's the big deal about when something is 10 years old? I was around 20 in the mid 00s and it's clear that this time still seems recent to us.
I absolutely agree with 80s fan.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 2:21 pm

No, we aren't behind technology. Some gadgets usually get introduced a few months later than in the US (e. g. iPhone in November 2007) and they are a bit more expensive over here, but that's it. I have clearly indicated when I have bought the stuff - at a time, when it was also common in the US. It's not that this is still available in German shops in 2013. It's still working and that's the reason why I still have it. I just don't throw away stuff just because it is not popular anymore.
now I see

What's the big deal about when something is 10 years old? I was around 20 in the mid 00s and it's clear that this time still seems recent to us.
I absolutely agree with 80s fan.
the deal is that time goes too quickly.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/17/13 at 2:53 pm

I can see the early 00s as outdated though. To me, 2000 to 2003, is outdated. 2004 and after is quite recent, even with the technological changes.

To me, anything before 1940 is 'ancient.' ;D

Written By: popguru85 on 12/17/13 at 2:56 pm

I would say the mid 00s is dated but not ancient. The PS2 had games made for it until 2011. bulky tv's became restricted when the digital tv changeover happened (flat screens came down in price). All the stuff listed is still relevant but became the standard. For most stuff mid 00s saw smartphones rise.

Written By: XYkid on 12/17/13 at 4:37 pm

I would say the mid 00s is dated but not ancient. The PS2 had games made for it until 2011. bulky tv's became restricted when the digital tv changeover happened (flat screens came down in price). All the stuff listed is still relevant but became the standard. For most stuff mid 00s saw smartphones rise.
iPhone wasn't released until 2007, and Droids weren't released until 2008, and when they first came out only the wealthy had them. It wasn't until 2010/2011 that smartphones were everywhere like they are today.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/13 at 4:50 pm

I barely see them these days.

nobody uses that anymore, It's more Facebook,Instagram and Twitter

pretty much.

nope,PS2's and Xboxes are 14 years old.

I don't see bulky ones these days.

now people use flip phones & blackberries

desktops went out a long time ago.

I don't miss dial-up one bit, nowadays people are more interested in faster speed, 3G or 4G.

Written By: Howard on 12/17/13 at 4:53 pm

The PS2 had games made for it until 2011.

I didn't like the notebook version, it was too small and I kept tripping over it a lot, I invested in a PS3 a couple of years later.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 6:56 pm

XYkid is right. In the mid 2000s,  I never saw anyone with a smartphone.  All they had were regular cellphones like flip, sliding or standard ones. Around 2010/11 like he said that's when I started seeing more people with smartphones.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/17/13 at 7:02 pm

I barely see them these days.
nobody uses that anymore, It's more Facebook,Instagram and Twitter
pretty much.nope,PS2's and Xboxes are 14 years old.
  I don't see bulky ones these days.
now people use flip phones & blackberries
desktops went out a long time ago.I don't miss dial-up one bit, nowadays people are more interested in faster speed, 3G or 4G.
You're close but the PS2 is 13 years old, Xbox is 12 years old.

I do still see regular cellphones, but not as much back then

Dont forget tumblr

Yep,  the Ipods got replaced by iPhones

I think no one misses dial-up one bit.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/23/13 at 10:13 pm

DVDs aren't popular anymore? I think a huge portion of consumers, myself included, still buy DVDs because they don't think it's worth the extra money for blu-ray.

Blu-Ray? Try Netflix. It makes DVD's AND Blu-Ray not popular anymore and obsolete.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/23/13 at 10:19 pm

Wow, the fact that people think mid 00's such as 2004 is "still with the times" scares me....  :-\\

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/23/13 at 10:55 pm

Wow, the fact that people think mid 00's such as 2004 is "still with the times" scares me....  :-\\
and it's not with the ttimes. 2004 was almost 10 years ago and everything that was popular during that time is not popular anymore. Not only that, everyone that was in school at that time is now either in high school/college or out of school and that was consisted of people born in the 80s and 90s. Nowadays, most people in school were born in the 2000s while people in college or other trade school were born in the 90s and before.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/24/13 at 3:19 am

We were already around 16-20 in 2004, so it is obvious that it is still "kind of with the times". Especially if you don't adopt all recent trends immediately.

When I was your age, 1995 seemed a long time ago for me aswell by the way. Just because that was my kid time... and 2004 was your kid time.

Written By: MarioDaDon on 12/25/13 at 12:27 am

The only reason some people are trying to make it seem like the mid 00's are recent are because they don't wanna be classified as "Decadeoliigst" , virtually everything from that time period is obsolete from Windows XP , Ipods , Most people use netflix as a source of movies more than DVDs, XBOX , Ps2 & Gamecube are discontinued , smartphones weren't peoples primary cell phone , Myspace is discontinued , come on people , I'm not trying to insinuate that the mid 00's are ancient but It defenietly isn't recent ...

Written By: Michael Dulin on 12/25/13 at 3:27 am

I dunno. I'll be 24 next month. The mid 00s might be close to 10 years ago now, but it just doesn't seem that dated to me. I mean obviously it's a little bit different, but I judge a time by how different it would feel if I was sent back then. I think anything after about 2003 or so would seem pretty indistinguishable from today, at least until I tried to go on the Internet. The only visible difference would be less people on their mobile phones, and even in 2003 it seemed like everyone was already addicted to their phones.

I think it generally takes more than ten years for a time to feel highly dated; probably more like 12-13+ years in most cases. I think the early 2000s, like 2000-02 seems pretty dated now. Like not too much different from the mid to late 90s really. And seems genuinely like a long time ago to me now in some ways.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/25/13 at 4:02 am

Those who think that the mid 00s are "ancient" are just too young ;)

The technology might seem 'old', but the 'scary' thing is that this time still feels so recent.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/25/13 at 1:54 pm

The only reason some people are trying to make it seem like the mid 00's are recent are because they don't wanna be classified as "Decadeoliigst" , virtually everything from that time period is obsolete from Windows XP , Ipods , Most people use netflix as a source of movies more than DVDs, XBOX , Ps2 & Gamecube are discontinued , smartphones weren't peoples primary cell phone , Myspace is discontinued , come on people , I'm not trying to insinuate that the mid 00's are ancient but It defenietly isn't recent ...
That's what I was saying, you hit the nail in the right direction. What i was trying to tell some of the members here is that the mid 00s aren't recent, but they're not ancient either. Like I posted in my OP, everything that was popular during that time isn't popular anymore. The mid 00s were 8 to 10 years ago, not 2 to 4 years ago.

MarioDaDon, if you did understood what I saying at first. I thank you for it.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 12/26/13 at 2:16 am

I dunno. I'll be 24 next month. The mid 00s might be close to 10 years ago now, but it just doesn't seem that dated to me. I mean obviously it's a little bit different, but I judge a time by how different it would feel if I was sent back then. I think anything after about 2003 or so would seem pretty indistinguishable from today, at least until I tried to go on the Internet. The only visible difference would be less people on their mobile phones, and even in 2003 it seemed like everyone was already addicted to their phones.

I think it generally takes more than ten years for a time to feel highly dated; probably more like 12-13+ years in most cases. I think the early 2000s, like 2000-02 seems pretty dated now. Like not too much different from the mid to late 90s really. And seems genuinely like a long time ago to me now in some ways.

This is how teens dressed and acted in the mid 00s. I think you'd see the difference.
http://www.yellingfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/malibus-most-wanted-21.jpg

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/13 at 2:37 am

Mid 00's were still similar to early 00's in many ways.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/26/13 at 10:12 am

Mid 00's were still similar to early 00's in many ways.
Yeah they were is because we didn't have all that technology. We were still hanging with friends and family, we weren't texting much and still writing letters, everyone had a regular cellphone, not a smartphone, we were still using VHS, Walkmans, CD players, desktops, dial-up, and non motion game consoles. We weren't using the Internet as much and still went out and play.  People weren't doing English papers on computers, they were doing them on paper. All of that was still being used during that time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/26/13 at 10:40 am

This is how teens dressed and acted in the mid 00s. I think you'd see the difference.
http://www.yellingfire.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/malibus-most-wanted-21.jpg
Yep. This what teens wear today. Some would definitely see the difference.
http://www.umbme.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/trendy-teen-school-fashion.jpg

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/26/13 at 12:48 pm

I was in Middle School in the Mid 00's. I don't remember anyone dressing like that  ;D

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/26/13 at 2:43 pm

Freshman year of high school, around '05, all the "wannabe gangsta" kids dressed like that (Despite the fact that they lived in a middle class suburb of Chicago). It was ridiculous!

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/26/13 at 6:42 pm

Freshman year of high school, around '05, all the "wannabe gangsta" kids dressed like that (Despite the fact that they lived in a middle class suburb of Chicago). It was ridiculous!

I remember all the wannabe gangsta kids wore baggy pants and had one or both ears pierced at my high school during that time  ;D I live in California. They would make the "W" sign with their hands to represent the west coast. They didn't wear the neck jewelry though.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/26/13 at 6:59 pm

Mmhmm. Their clothes weren't necessarily as costume-y as the photos above, but they would wear size 2XL t-shirts, baggy pants, chains, piercings, listen to rap, and even try to talk ghetto. You had them and the emo kids cohabitating the halls :o

I definitely prefer the more form-fitting styles of the 2010s. I'm really thin though so it makes sense for me...I look ridiculous in anything that's not a size small. I'll even buy size XS sometimes if it's available. I used to enjoy wearing more loose-fitting clothes back then cus I thought it hid how skinny I was but now I look back at photos and think I look ridiculous. Hopefully that baggy look never makes a comeback...but it will.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/27/13 at 1:30 am

For some of the fashion trends, I think it depends on where you live.

Written By: af2010 on 12/28/13 at 5:05 am

Those who think that the mid 00s are "ancient" are just too young ;)

The technology might seem 'old', but the 'scary' thing is that this time still feels so recent.

Agreed.  I think the mid 00s are slightly dated, but I wouldn't call it 'old school' or 'retro.'  The internet was already well established.  Social media was gaining popularity with Myspace.  Youtube debuted in 05 and the xbox 360 in 06.  I guess there was more dated technology sitting around like VHS, analog TV's, etc., but it's not like that stuff was still the latest.

In terms of fashion and popular culture, hip hop was definitely bigger than it is now, and clothes were baggier.  But I think most people can still get away with wearing whatever they wore in the mid 00s, especially if they were already an adult.

Written By: XYkid on 12/28/13 at 7:46 am

Mmhmm. Their clothes weren't necessarily as costume-y as the photos above, but they would wear size 2XL t-shirts, baggy pants, chains, piercings, listen to rap, and even try to talk ghetto. You had them and the emo kids cohabitating the halls :o

I definitely prefer the more form-fitting styles of the 2010s. I'm really thin though so it makes sense for me...I look ridiculous in anything that's not a size small. I'll even buy size XS sometimes if it's available. I used to enjoy wearing more loose-fitting clothes back then cus I thought it hid how skinny I was but now I look back at photos and think I look ridiculous. Hopefully that baggy look never makes a comeback...but it will.
The looser look is definitely coming back in for guys. I'm starting to to see fewer and fewer guys wearing tight, girl jeans in favour of straight leg or looser fitting slim jeans. Of course it probably won't be awhile until the really baggy look of the late 90s comes back, because that only went out of style 6-7 years ago. I've also noticed fewer people wearing neon coloured skinny jeans like I saw everywhere in 2009.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/28/13 at 9:34 am

Agreed.  I think the mid 00s are slightly dated, but I wouldn't call it 'old school' or 'retro.'  The internet was already well established.  Social media was gaining popularity with Myspace.  Youtube debuted in 05 and the xbox 360 in 06.  I guess there was more dated technology sitting around like VHS, analog TV's, etc., but it's not like that stuff was still the latest.

In terms of fashion and popular culture, hip hop was definitely bigger than it is now, and clothes were baggier.  But I think most people can still get away with wearing whatever they wore in the mid 00s, especially if they were already an adult.
The Xbox 360 was released 2005, but it gained popularity in 2006. You're right about hip-hop culture, I don't see the baggy clothes anymore either. Now all I see is slim jeans, underwear hanging out and shirts medium sized on guys and leggings on girls.

Written By: XYkid on 12/28/13 at 10:46 am

The Xbox 360 was released 2005, but it gained popularity in 2006. You're right about hip-hop culture, I don't see the baggy clothes anymore either. Now all I see is slim jeans, underwear hanging out and shirts medium sized on guys and leggings on girls.
To be fair, sagging started in the mid 90s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/28/13 at 3:14 pm

Yep it did. if you look at any 90s hip hop video, it always has a guy sagging.

Written By: af2010 on 12/28/13 at 3:39 pm

Ok, Playstation 3 then.  Either way it was the mid 00s, and that's my point; the mid 00s aren't that old.  Slightly dated, sure, but not that different from today.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/13 at 3:42 pm

What about when guys had their pants started sagging? ???

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/28/13 at 4:00 pm

Ok, Playstation 3 then.  Either way it was the mid 00s, and that's my point; the mid 00s aren't that old.  Slightly dated, sure, but not that different from today.
yes, the PS3 was released in the mid 00s, youre right about that. youre also right that theyre not old, but theyre not recent either. They are different from today because what was popular then is not popular anymore. Also, the people who were teens during that time are the people in their 20s. School has changed dramatically in the last 10 years. Music has changed. video games have changed. Lots have changed so much that they are different.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/28/13 at 4:29 pm

Remember when the old Gameboys from the '90s were upgraded to the Gameboy Advance systems? Those are not around at all anymore! Those were huge back in the early to mid '00s.

http://i39.tinypic.com/2d2g1vo.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/28/13 at 5:06 pm

Remember when the old Gameboys from the '90s were upgraded to the Gameboy Advance systems? Those are not around at all anymore! Those were huge back in the early to mid '00s.

You can get them on ebay.

Written By: 19brandon90 on 12/28/13 at 5:22 pm

You can get them on ebay.

yes but they aren't at retail stores anymore. I'm not sure why they stopped selling them. Maybe the iphones and ipods and all the other newer technologies kind of pushed them from the mainstream.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/28/13 at 6:29 pm

yes but they aren't at retail stores anymore. I'm not sure why they stopped selling them. Maybe the iphones and ipods and all the other newer technologies kind of pushed them from the mainstream.
yeah, like the NDS and the N3DS.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/28/13 at 7:11 pm

I didn't really notice the transition because by around 2000/01 I lost interest in playing GB(C). I clearly remember the transition from the original to the pocket and the color ones though.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/28/13 at 7:17 pm

Are you wondering why they stopped selling GameBoy Advance? It was simply replaced by DS and then 3DS.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/28/13 at 7:22 pm

Are you wondering why they stopped selling GameBoy Advance? It was simply replaced by DS and then 3DS.

Maybe because the technology of the GBA was similar to GBC and quite outdated in comparison to DS and 3DS?

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/28/13 at 7:30 pm

Maybe because the technology of the GBA was similar to GBC and quite outdated in comparison to DS and 3DS?

Well yeah. Consoles usually usually stay mainstream and have games produced for them for about 5-6 years before Nintendo releases a new console and the old one becomes obsolete. Considering GBA came out in 2001, it's no surprise that it's not sold in retail stores anymore just like you don't find GameCube or Nintendo 64 in retail stores anymore.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 12/28/13 at 8:07 pm

I loved video games as a kid. Despite how anvanced they've become, I grew out of them.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/13 at 3:44 pm

I know that, maybe newer technology came around later on.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/13 at 3:46 pm

Well yeah. Consoles usually usually stay mainstream and have games produced for them for about 5-6 years before Nintendo releases a new console and the old one becomes obsolete. Considering GBA came out in 2001, it's no surprise that it's not sold in retail stores anymore just like you don't find GameCube or Nintendo 64 in retail stores anymore.

Like The PS2 And The PS3 and after a while, nobody sells games for those consoles any longer. But for PS3, you can get some games for that console but not for PS2.

Written By: Howard on 12/29/13 at 3:47 pm

I loved video games as a kid. Despite how anvanced they've become, I grew out of them.

I'm going to be 40 and I STILL play video games.  ;D

Written By: NotAMember on 01/01/14 at 4:13 pm

Does anyone feel that the mid 00s are starting to be old now since it is about to be 8 to 10 years old?

Everything that was popular during that time is not popular anymore.

Yeah, the mid-2000s are starting to feel old. Also, lots of stores have gone out of business because of the '08 crash.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/01/14 at 5:39 pm

Yeah, the mid-2000s are starting to feel old. Also, lots of stores have gone out of business because of the '08 crash.
yeah they have, good thing the crash has been over for a year I think.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/14 at 5:54 pm

Yes and that's bad for business.

Written By: sonikuu on 01/04/14 at 7:39 am

Ah, the mid 00s...my high school years.  Personally, for me, the mid-00s occupy an "in-between status" for me.  Is it old and outdated?  Yes, it is indeed.  However, I don't feel the huge gap that I feel with the early-00s.  Perhaps I'd feel the gap more if I was younger though.  In 2008, I already thought that 1998, as part of my childhood, was very old and nostalgia worthy, whereas I don't feel the same about 2003 despite my life situation being DRAMATICALLY different from then.  I guess that's a normal thing as you get older though.

For me personally, I don't think the mid-00s will ever be as nostalgic as the 90s up to 2001 is.  For that matter, ten years from now, I can see myself being much more nostalgic for the 2010 to 2013 era than for 2002-2009.  It was just a more memorable, eventful period of my life.

Check for new replies or respond here...