inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Harry Potter 'movies'!!

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/13 at 9:15 pm

Did you watch them? Did you hate them? Like them? Used the DVD's to build a box house for a hobo?

The movies made a lot of money. Were you a Harry Potter fan?

Subject: Re: The Harry Potter 'movies'!!

Written By: snozberries on 12/27/13 at 10:54 pm

I love both the books and the films...and I love them independently of one another because the films weren't exactly accurate but very well done.

I think Goblet of Fire, Order of the Phoenix and Deathly Hallows aren't favs.
The darker Harry Potter got the better Daniel Radcliffe's acting became.

I'm not an uber geek. I have no hog warts robes, no character wands but I do have a butter beer cup my friend brought me back from universal fl

I have all the DVDs. Wait. I still need 7. I was hoping to get the ultimate DVD version for Christmas.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/27/13 at 11:36 pm

I just finished reading the books, after having them stuffed away for years. I've seen all but the last two movies. I liked the first four movies, but Order of the Phoenix was my least favorite of the movie adaptations. It just seemed like a watered-down version of the novel.

Oh, and I am not going to make a lot of fans by saying this, but I did not care for Helena Bonham Carter's portrayal of Bellatrix Lestrange. She made her look like a goofball, and not all that threatening; whereas in the books she was a complete menace.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/27/13 at 11:38 pm

Movie-wise, I like them, but I don't love them either. BUT to give credit to the films, the last four movies made me see the last 3 books in a different light. I liked the first 4 books better than the last 3, but the films made the last 3 books seem so amusing, I changed my opinions on those 3 books.

I think the reason for my neutrality towards the last three books was because I liked the innocence of the first 4, even though Azkaban and Goblet already had signs of darkness. But by the 5th novel, the series was so different I missed the sun-shiny innocence of Harry's first half at Hogwarts. My favorite Harry Potter years in novel is the 3rd and 4th, pretty much equally.

Back to the movies, my favorite is Azkaban and the first one. Phoenix was great as well, but I had a lot of problems wth the 6th movie. The Death Hallows Parts 1/2 were okay, but I loved parts 1, 3, and 5 the most!

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/13 at 12:56 am

Movie-wise, I like them, but I don't love them either. BUT to give credit to the films, the last four movies made me see the last 3 books in a different light. I liked the first 4 books better than the last 3, but the films made the last 3 books seem so amusing, I changed my opinions on those 3 books.

I think the reason for my neutrality towards the last three books was because I liked the innocence of the first 4, even though Azkaban and Goblet already had signs of darkness. But by the 5th novel, the series was so different I missed the sun-shiny innocence of Harry's first half at Hogwarts. My favorite Harry Potter years in novel is the 3rd and 4th, pretty much equally.

Back to the movies, my favorite is Azkaban and the first one. Phoenix was great as well, but I had a lot of problems wth the 6th movie. The Death Hallows Parts 1/2 were okay, but I loved parts 1, 3, and 5 the most!

Harry was, what?, 15 in order of the Phoenix?
Of course he was dark and moody... That's what happens at 15/16  :D
I think I like the later films/books better because people really are impacted by what happens to them. There was so much death in Goblet of Fire that it would've been a lie to bring a lightheartedness to order of the Phoenix. Likewise- after dumbledore dies what other choices does Harry have in Deathly Hallows.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/13 at 1:50 pm

Harry was, what?, 15 in order of the Phoenix?
Of course he was dark and moody... That's what happens at 15/16  :D
I think I like the later films/books better because people really are impacted by what happens to them. There was so much death in Goblet of Fire that it would've been a lie to bring a lightheartedness to order of the Phoenix. Likewise- after dumbledore dies what other choices does Harry have in Deathly Hallows.

Yup, I'd agree. It could have been I was just dealing with stuff in my life during that time, and I wasn't really in the mood to read/watch....anything!

JK Rowling DID say that the series was meant to have a different feel in the later 3 novels, from the first 4. She said it herself. I think it's just that it felt SO different it felt like the last 3 were a separate series, it might have shocked me a bit.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/13 at 1:51 pm

I just finished reading the books, after having them stuffed away for years. I've seen all but the last two movies. I liked the first four movies, but Order of the Phoenix was my least favorite of the movie adaptations. It just seemed like a watered-down version of the novel.

Oh, and I am not going to make a lot of fans by saying this, but I did not care for Helena Bonham Carter's portrayal of Bellatrix Lestrange. She made her look like a goofball, and not all that threatening; whereas in the books she was a complete menace.

I'm in the minority, but I agree with you.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/28/13 at 2:33 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Harry Potter!!!! I have all the books (including Tales of Beadle the Bard, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them / Quidditch Through the Ages-that I just bought about a month or so ago), all the audiobooks, & all the DVDs. I have read all the books I don't know how many times, listened to all the audiobooks twice and watched all the movies who knows how many times. I even have a couple of Harry Potter companion books.

I can't say which one I like the best because I love it all. I love all the relationships that J.K. intertwines throughout. How Snape hated James but loved Lily and because of that, he is so conflicted in his feelings for Harry.

I also love the fact that Sirius can turn into a dog and Sirius is known as the Dog Star. Also the name of his brother is Regulus and Regulus is a star in the Leo constellation. (Bellatrix is also a name of a star in the constellation Orion.)

This is why I love reading the companion books. They make all these connections. J.K. really knows her stuff. She has included so much from ancient myths, folklore and other sources.

Cat 

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/28/13 at 3:28 pm

As many know.  I read the books out loud to the girls (reluctantly at first).  Thanks to the suggestions and insistance of some board members here.  We fell in love! 

We love the books (albeit not the 2nd book as much - struggle to read it) and the movies!  But we like them independent of one another!  They are great books if you never see the movies.  Or they are great movies if you never read the book!  They did a decent job telling the story, without it taking up too much of our time!

We are still sad they are over, and haven't found a set of books we like near as much!!!! 

:\'(

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/13 at 7:56 pm

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Harry Potter!!!! I have all the books (including Tales of Beadle the Bard, Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them / Quidditch Through the Ages-that I just bought about a month or so ago), all the audiobooks, & all the DVDs. I have read all the books I don't know how many times, listened to all the audiobooks twice and watched all the movies who knows how many times. I even have a couple of Harry Potter companion books.

I can't say which one I like the best because I love it all. I love all the relationships that J.K. intertwines throughout. How Snape hated James but loved Lily and because of that, he is so conflicted in his feelings for Harry.

I also love the fact that Sirius can turn into a dog and Sirius is known as the Dog Star. Also the name of his brother is Regulus and Regulus is a star in the Leo constellation. (Bellatrix is also a name of a star in the constellation Orion.)

This is why I love reading the companion books. They make all these connections. J.K. really knows her stuff. She has included so much from ancient myths, folklore and other sources.

Cat

JK Rowling has sold 400 million Harry Potter books. She sold that much in just a decade, while it takes an extremely popular author about 40 years to sell that much! This is excluding book sales of the Casual Vacancy and her new novel, The Cuckoo's Calling.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/13 at 7:57 pm

As many know.  I read the books out loud to the girls (reluctantly at first).  Thanks to the suggestions and insistance of some board members here.  We fell in love! 

We love the books (albeit not the 2nd book as much - struggle to read it) and the movies!  But we like them independent of one another!  They are great books if you never see the movies.  Or they are great movies if you never read the book!  They did a decent job telling the story, without it taking up too much of our time!

We are still sad they are over, and haven't found a set of books we like near as much!!!! 

:\'(

My gut is telling me the Harry Potter books is a one in a millennium phenomenon, I'm just happy to be part of the first Harry Potter generation!  8) 8)

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/13 at 8:49 pm

Yup, I'd agree. It could have been I was just dealing with stuff in my life during that time, and I wasn't really in the mood to read/watch....anything!

JK Rowling DID say that the series was meant to have a different feel in the later 3 novels, from the first 4. She said it herself. I think it's just that it felt SO different it felt like the last 3 were a separate series, it might have shocked me a bit.

I also think....and I honestly don't mean this as a dig at you....age at the time if viewing has a lot to do with it. You were closer to the age Harry was when you watched the movies. I watched it with adult (like late 30s. -40yrold) adult perspective so I was distanced from my teen years and could watch it more objectively.

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/13 at 8:52 pm

Cat

I love what you just said about snape.  When you think about it like that there's even more depth to that character.

I knew Sirius was the Dog Star but didn't think about Sirius' animangus being a dog. And I didn't know about the other constellations. Thx for sharing those details.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/13 at 9:45 pm

Anyone noticed/remember that James Potter was mean to Snape? Everyone's like 'Snape's so mean', but come on, he was pushed around a bit, I forgot how many times, once or twice, by James Potter.

I like James Potter, but of course like a lot of teenagers, he could be mean. Snapes was a very complex character, but I don't find him likeable, even if I like him. He's not a character most people would say, 'Look at that Snape, he's so sweet.' LOL.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/28/13 at 9:49 pm

I also think....and I honestly don't mean this as a dig at you....age at the time if viewing has a lot to do with it. You were closer to the age Harry was when you watched the movies. I watched it with adult (like late 30s. -40yrold) adult perspective so I was distanced from my teen years and could watch it more objectively.

I was 14 when I read Order of the Phoenix, and Harry was 15. And I was 11 when I read Sorcerer's Stone. And Harry was 11! I could relate to 90% of what he was feeling, but you could be right. You understand some things better if you're older.

Written By: snozberries on 12/28/13 at 11:20 pm

Anyone noticed/remember that James Potter was mean to Snape? Everyone's like 'Snape's so mean', but come on, he was pushed around a bit, I forgot how many times, once or twice, by James Potter.

I like James Potter, but of course like a lot of teenagers, he could be mean. Snapes was a very complex character, but I don't find him likeable, even if I like him. He's not a character most people would say, 'Look at that Snape, he's so sweet.' LOL.

We've all done regretful stuff as teens. James' actions towards snape didn't define him as an adult. It doesn't make it right but it doesn't make him evil.

Snape wiuldnt be sweet even if he hadn't been bullied. He was a slytherin for gods sake.  :D

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/29/13 at 1:04 pm

I love what you just said about snape.  When you think about it like that there's even more depth to that character.

I knew Sirius was the Dog Star but didn't think about Sirius' animangus being a dog. And I didn't know about the other constellations. Thx for sharing those details.

I would recommend a companion. These are the two that I have:

-The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter, Third Edition By Allan Zola Kronzek.

-The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter (revised edition) by David Colbert.

Both books have some really interesting stuff that I never even thought about when I first read the books-or even when I read them for the 5th time or more.

There is so much depth to HP that it is hard to believe that J.K. was able to do all of that herself. She is truly an amazing creator/writer.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 12/29/13 at 8:53 pm

I would recommend a companion. These are the two that I have:

-The Sorcerer's Companion: A Guide to the Magical World of Harry Potter, Third Edition By Allan Zola Kronzek.

-The Magical Worlds of Harry Potter (revised edition) by David Colbert.

Both books have some really interesting stuff that I never even thought about when I first read the books-or even when I read them for the 5th time or more.

There is so much depth to HP that it is hard to believe that J.K. was able to do all of that herself. She is truly an amazing creator/writer.

Cat

thanks for the recommendations

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/13 at 12:17 am

I read Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, and Goblet of Fire in 2000.

I read Order of the Phoenix in 2003, when it came out.

I read Half-Blood Prince in 2005. Again, when it came out!

I read Deathly Hallows in 2007.

Written By: snozberries on 12/30/13 at 1:58 am

I read Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets, Prisoner of Azkaban, and Goblet of Fire in 2000.

I read Order of the Phoenix in 2003, when it came out.

I read Half-Blood Prince in 2005. Again, when it came out!

I read Deathly Hallows in 2007.

I don't remember the years but I read 1,2& 3 back to back...6 months to a year before 4 came out. I was out if work on aback injury and high most of the time. I remember it took me a day to read one - 2 days to read 2 and 2.5 days ( I usually say 3 days) to read 3.

When I got 4 I devoured it. I was back at work but still medicating. When 5 came out I was off my meds and I say down to read it I realized I had no recollection of reading 4. (Or 3 or 2 or 1) it was the meds.  ;D

Anyway I put it away until 6 came out. I read 1-6 in a week. When 7 came out I had enough memory to just sit and read it.

One day soon I want to sit and read all 7 back to back.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 12/30/13 at 3:07 pm

I remember when I read book 7 for the first time. When we got the book-the day it came out because we preordered it through Amazon, Carlos read it first because he is a faster reader than I am. But, I couldn't wait until he finished it before I could read it so we took turns and had two book marks. Of course he finished before I did. We went out on the boat and I took the book with me. I didn't want to put it down. But, the sun was going down and the lighting was getting bad. I don't think I could sleep that night so I got up and finished the book around 4 a.m. using a flashlight.

Look what I found:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=27527.0

I know there was another thread, but I can't find it.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/13 at 3:23 pm

I have given up watching them, there look all the same to me.

Written By: 2kidsami on 12/30/13 at 4:01 pm

I remember when I read book 7 for the first time. When we got the book-the day it came out because we preordered it through Amazon, Carlos read it first because he is a faster reader than I am. But, I couldn't wait until he finished it before I could read it so we took turns and had two book marks. Of course he finished before I did. We went out on the boat and I took the book with me. I didn't want to put it down. But, the sun was going down and the lighting was getting bad. I don't think I could sleep that night so I got up and finished the book around 4 a.m. using a flashlight.

Look what I found:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=27527.0

I know there was another thread, but I can't find it.

Cat
I know the one I started was in  "more than a decade"

There were supposed to be more reading, but it just ended up being me reading it aloud to the girls.  It was a great family time and to see their reaction.  It will be interesting to see if either girl will pick up the books again.  BUT it served my purpose to instill a love of reading, and show how much fun it can be!

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/14 at 2:21 am

So JK Realizes she goofed and should've put Harry and Hermoine together... DUH!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/jk-rowling-admits-that-harry-and-hermione-should-have-ended

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/14 at 3:13 am

So JK Realizes she goofed and should've put Harry and Hermoine together... DUH!

http://www.buzzfeed.com/rachelzarrell/jk-rowling-admits-that-harry-and-hermione-should-have-ended

I think JK Rowling had a little crush on her redheaded friend, who looked like Ron.  ;)

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/14 at 3:32 am

I think JK Rowling had a little crush on her redheaded friend, who looked like Ron.  ;)

I get that feeling too... I mean she planned for Hermoine and Ron all along but hindsight being what it is she realizes now Harry and Hermoine make a better couple.

Written By: loki 13 on 02/02/14 at 8:33 am

I get that feeling too... I mean she planned for Hermoine and Ron all along but hindsight being what it is she realizes now Harry and Hermoine make a better couple.

I liked the way it turned out, I mean hero and heroine always seem to end up together, too cliche.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/14 at 12:26 pm

If Harry & Hermione ended up together, poor Ron would have been left out once again. Ron has had self-esteem issues since day one. He was the youngest brother and was in EVERYONE'S shadow-not just his brothers but also his best friend(s). Yeah, both Harry & Hermione were both smarter than Ron and they would have made a STRONGER couple but I think both Harry & Hermione really made Ron (and even Neville) to live up to his potential. If Ron was left out, he probably would have resentment toward his two best friends-maybe not conscientiously but definitely unconsciously. 

Then there is Ginny. She was also a very strong person - probably stronger than her older brother Ron. Yeah, Harry needed a STRONG mate. He could have never ended up with Cho because she wasn't strong.

How this ended up sort of reminds me of Star Wars. (Yeah, yeah, I know.) I always thought that Luke & Leia should have ended up together & then come to find out that Leia ended up with Han and Luke & Leia ended up to be brother & sister. So, looking a Harry & Hermione, they had a brother/sister type relationship so it would make sense that she would end up with Ron.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/02/14 at 12:54 pm

I disagree cat. I mean yeah Ron had self esteem issues but that doesn't mean he deserved a hermoine. I never got them as a couple and Ginny always seemed more like a little kid with a crush. I think there was a woman out there for Ron we just maybe never met her.

What I can accept, reluctantly, is Harry had a thing for hermoine but because Ron crushed on her Harry stepped aside. Because that's a very harry thing to do. But I never bought Ron and hermoine. I thought it was a cop out and I really wanted Harry and hermoine to hook up.

Also. I hate that like and leia are siblings. I thought that was another cop out and thought they would've been better than L & Han.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/02/14 at 1:29 pm

I disagree cat. I mean yeah Ron had self esteem issues but that doesn't mean he deserved a hermoine. I never got them as a couple and Ginny always seemed more like a little kid with a crush. I think there was a woman out there for Ron we just maybe never met her.

What I can accept, reluctantly, is Harry had a thing for hermoine but because Ron crushed on her Harry stepped aside. Because that's a very harry thing to do. But I never bought Ron and hermoine. I thought it was a cop out and I really wanted Harry and hermoine to hook up.

Also. I hate that like and leia are siblings. I thought that was another cop out and thought they would've been better than L & Han.

I can buy that.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 02/02/14 at 3:26 pm

Ron had self-esteem issues.

Harry had loads of confidence, but was not arrogant or obnoxious about it.

Hermione WAS quite under confident in the first 2 or 3 books. I think that her character really grew!!

Neville was goofy and shaky in the beginning. I actually think he's quite funny! But he did grow too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/03/14 at 10:54 am

Ron had self-esteem issues.

Harry had loads of confidence, but was not arrogant or obnoxious about it.

Hermione WAS quite under confident in the first 2 or 3 books. I think that her character really grew!!

Neville was goofy and shaky in the beginning. I actually think he's quite funny! But he did grow too.

I LOVED how Neville blossomed. My favorite part was when HE was the one who...(Don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read the book or watched the movie yet.)

cut off of Nagini's head.

Cat

Written By: snozberries on 02/03/14 at 12:45 pm

I LOVED how Neville blossomed. My favorite part was when HE was the one who...(Don't want to spoil it for people who haven't read the book or watched the movie yet.)

cut off of Nagini's head.

Cat

Didn't have to read the spoiler to know what you were going to say.  Loved that part too.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/03/14 at 12:58 pm

Didn't have to read the spoiler to know what you were going to say.  Loved that part too.

I KNEW you knew because I mentioned that to you many times.  ;)

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/25/14 at 4:18 am

After reading the last book when I was 21 I outgrew the phase, but I loved the stories. I used to be big time into them, then I wasn't. I've seen the movies up to the 6th.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/14 at 4:54 am

I have given up watching them, there look all the same to me.
...and never read any of the books.

Written By: snozberries on 07/31/15 at 9:32 pm

Cat.... Have you seen this?  I think it's very moving... wish I'd thought of it!

http://nerdist.com/watching-snapes-scenes-in-chronological-order-makes-harry-potter-way-more-heartbreaking/

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/01/15 at 7:55 pm

My favorite Harry Potter movie is the Sorcerer's Stone.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/01/15 at 8:14 pm

My favorite Harry Potter movie is the Sorcerer's Stone.

I liked it too. I wasn't a fan of the last two films, but I was going through stuff during the release of those two films, so I'm biased.

Wasn't a fan of the Half Blood Prince either, too slow.

The first five were fine. Great, but I think, like I mentioned earlier, my personal life got in the way and I lost interest after part 5.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/01/15 at 8:16 pm

The books were way better to me though, but I thought that Sorcerer's Stone (the film) was very well made, and is underrated.

I think I like all the books but the last 1/3 of Death Hallows (the book) really bothered me.

Check for new replies or respond here...