inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: PS2 vs. Sega Dreamcast vs Gamecube vs Xbox

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/28/13 at 6:44 pm

Which of these home consoles dominated the gaming industry during the early 00s?

PS2
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1c/PS2-Versions.jpg

Xbox
http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110306024032/sonic/images/d/d4/Xbox.png

Gamecube
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/d1/GameCube-Set.jpg

Dreamcast
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a0/Sega-dreamcast-set.png

Subject: Re: PS2 vs. Sega Dreamcast vs Gamecube vs Xbox

Written By: batfan2005 on 12/28/13 at 7:50 pm

PS2 without a doubt. PS2 was to the early 00's as the NES was to the late 80's. I personally liked the Gamecube, I've always been a fan of the Nintendo games.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/28/13 at 8:21 pm

PS2 without a doubt. PS2 was to the early 00's as the NES was to the late 80's. I personally liked the Gamecube, I've always been a fan of the Nintendo games.
So was I. I was always playing Nintendo everyday when I was a kid. From Super Nintendo, N64, Gamecube, it was amazing :). I'm sorry if I shock you with this, but I'm not sure if I remember playing the NES or not back then :(

Written By: whistledog on 12/28/13 at 10:30 pm

PS2 wins this mashup then and even now.  Game Cube was supported by original Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 plays some Xbox games, and the Dreamcast was too short lived to hold a large fanbase

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 12/28/13 at 10:48 pm

Dreamcast never seemed to "compete" with the other 3 despite being part of the same generation of consoles. I'm too lazy to do my research, but I'm pretty sure it was released a few years earlier and then Sega collapsed and relegated itself to a third party producer of games for the other 3.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/28/13 at 11:14 pm

PS2 wins this mashup then and even now.  Game Cube was supported by original Nintendo Wii, Xbox 360 plays some Xbox games, and the Dreamcast was too short lived to hold a large fanbase
It was not short lived in Japan. It was popular there before it discontinued in 2007.  The reason why dreamcast failed in the US is that other countries weren't importing games here just like the saturn and the PS2 was beating it in sales. I heard that the imports from Japan for both game consoles were amazing. It's a shame that they weren't in the US. If They were, I think Sega would have not gave up in the gaming industry and would still be producing games from their company today to their consoles.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/28/13 at 11:20 pm

Dreamcast never seemed to "compete" with the other 3 despite being part of the same generation of consoles. I'm too lazy to do my research, but I'm pretty sure it was released a few years earlier and then Sega collapsed and relegated itself to a third party producer of games for the other 3.
Yep, it was. It was released in September 1999 while the PS2 was released in October 2000. Then after failing in 2001 they decided to quit producing game consoles for their company and work with the other 3 from here on. Its sad how they had one successful game console which was the Genesis when they could have had more successful ones.

Written By: XYkid on 12/29/13 at 2:27 pm

The Dreamcast was part of the 64 bit era....

Written By: Howard on 12/29/13 at 3:41 pm

I had a PS2 but it was so small that sometimes I kept tripping over it and almost breaking it, that's how clumsy I was. I traded it in for a PS3 later on.

Written By: whistledog on 12/29/13 at 5:44 pm

I had a PS2 but it was so small that sometimes I kept tripping over it and almost breaking it, that's how clumsy I was. I traded it in for a PS3 later on.

Why did you leave your PS2 lying around the floor?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/29/13 at 6:24 pm

The Dreamcast was part of the 64 bit era....
No, the 64 bit era was the 5th generation of consoles.  Dreamcast is part of the 6th generation of consoles which is also called the 128 bit era.

Written By: Inertia on 12/29/13 at 8:51 pm

I would say the PS2 or XBOX.

The Dreamcast had a short life span. I bought one and seemed as if only a few months passed before the product left the shelves and companies no longer produced new games for the console. It became obsolete.

I never remember the Gamecube being extraordinarily popular. I own one, but I never use it anymore as I have a Wii.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/29/13 at 9:34 pm

I would say the PS2 or XBOX.

The Dreamcast had a short life span. I bought one and seemed as if only a few months passed before the product left the shelves and companies no longer produced new games for the console. It became obsolete.

I never remember the Gamecube being extraordinarily popular. I own one, but I never use it anymore as I have a Wii.
I think the Sega fans were disappointed when they heard the ccompany left the gaming industry.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/13 at 6:55 am

Why did you leave your PS2 lying around the floor?

It wasn't on the floor, it was on my TV stand and it was the wire I kept tripping over cause it was loose.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/13 at 6:56 am

I think the Sega fans were disappointed when they heard the ccompany left the gaming industry.

Why'd they leave the gaming industry?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/30/13 at 7:38 am

Why'd they leave the gaming industry?
They left because the Sega Saturn and Dreamcast were failures in the US. The PlayStations (both PS1 and PS2 of their console generation) beat the Segas in sales. Another reason was that there wasn't enough import games for both consoles from other countries. Because of that, they dropped out of the gaming industry by stop producing consoles and became a 3rd party game developers for the other consoles.

Written By: popguru85 on 12/30/13 at 10:53 am

PS2 lasted the longest out of the four. I think I knew more people with ps2 than GameCube or Xbox.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/30/13 at 2:43 pm

PS2 lasted the longest out of the four. I think I knew more people with ps2 than GameCube or Xbox.
It's crazy it did. It lasted for 13 years.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/13 at 7:47 pm

It's crazy it did. It lasted for 13 years.

and the commercials are retro now.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/13 at 7:48 pm

I had a PS2 and used to own a few games.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/31/13 at 12:09 am

and the commercials are retro now.
Yeah they are. Watching a commercial from 2000 about the PS2 and its one of the first commercials.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/13 at 7:08 am

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dzcM7MvzJTE/Tq4YzQHPNVI/AAAAAAAAHRg/MIgw-V_uxkk/s1600/strike+force+bowling+ps2+cover+boxart.jpg

and I used to own this game for The PS2 and this game was so exciting.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/31/13 at 3:23 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-dzcM7MvzJTE/Tq4YzQHPNVI/AAAAAAAAHRg/MIgw-V_uxkk/s1600/strike+force+bowling+ps2+cover+boxart.jpg

and I used to own this game for The PS2 and this game was so exciting.
Was this one of the early PS2 games?

Written By: Howard on 01/01/14 at 3:54 pm

Was this one of the early PS2 games?

yes it was, I believe this game came out in 2002 and it was so great, you could compete with an alien or some guy named Mr.Bones, the challenges were crazy but quite good.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/01/14 at 5:36 pm

yes it was, I believe this game came out in 2002 and it was so great, you could compete with an alien or some guy named Mr.Bones, the challenges were crazy but quite good.
Nice. I had a few early PS2 games like pacman world 2, Namco museum, nba street 1 and 2, def Jam vendetta, and tony hawk pro skater 4.

Written By: popguru85 on 01/01/14 at 7:29 pm

Smack down Just Bring it and GTA III ate up many gameplay hours during Christmas break

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/06/14 at 9:25 pm

Smack down Just Bring it and GTA III ate up many gameplay hours during Christmas break
Even though this is old, GTA 3 was fun. I actually played it, but I never finished it. As for the WWE games, one of my cousins had the ones from 2003 to 2008 and they were fun, but I'm not sure if they are still fun now.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/07/14 at 5:56 am

PS2 was the better one because it could play DVDs too. I had one, but late. I bought it used and the Xbox360 was out that year.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/14 at 1:37 pm

As for the WWE games, one of my cousins had the ones from 2003 to 2008 and they were fun, but I'm not sure if they are still fun now.

I played most of them but as the years gone by the graphics became more crisper and clearer.

Written By: Howard on 09/07/14 at 1:38 pm

PS2 was the better one because it could play DVDs too. I had one, but late. I bought it used and the Xbox360 was out that year.

I had a PS2 but after a couple of years I traded it in for a PS3 and to this day I'm loving it and haven't looked back. :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/07/14 at 3:25 pm

I played most of them but as the years gone by the graphics became more crisper and clearer.
They sure have. Almost every PS3/PS4, Wii U, and Xbox 360/Xbox one game has Crystal clear graphics.

Check for new replies or respond here...