inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: If you were sent back to 2004 would it feel noticeably different from today?

Written By: theeccentrist on 01/29/14 at 11:33 pm

I think it would more or less look the same aside from little things like more CRT monitors in people's homes/offices and more old fashioned looking 80s/early 90s cars on the road, but the overall "feel" would pretty much be the same if you know what I mean.

Taking a closer look, the lack of social networking, smart/camera phones and the fact Bush 43 was still president would seem weird though. I think the experience of being a teenager in '04 was quite different, even though the Internet was already a huge thing then of course it wasn't nearly as big a part of life and in many countries use of it was actually pretty uncommon still.

The difference between 1994-2004 is still probably vaster than the difference between 2004-2014 all things considered.

Subject: Re: If you were sent back to 2004 would it feel noticeably different from today?

Written By: gibbo on 01/30/14 at 12:11 am

Wait ... are saying that the longer the period of time that lapses ... the more different things are?  Wow ... who would've guessed!  ::)

Subject: Re: If you were sent back to 2004 would it feel noticeably different from today?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/30/14 at 12:19 am

The difference between 1994-2004 is still probably vaster than the difference between 2004-2014 all things considered.

Yes, because of one aspect IMO:

In 2004 we were already a big information society and the internet/mobile phones etc. ruled our lives. Today we just have an advanced form of it. In 1994 however, internet and mobile phones were not relevant for most people at all.

If you were sent back to 2004 Germany I would probably notice the following:

-a lot of 90s cars on the roads
-people are running around with classic cellphones - not even those flip phones - instead of smartphones
-they do not watch them all the time
-4:3 ratio on most TV stations, except for some movies
-CRT monitors are still more common
-no Wifi
-a lot of regions still do not get high speed internet
-a huge amount of businesses still do not have a website
-ringtone commercials on TV
-people chat/E-mail instead of using facebook

Written By: Jquar on 01/30/14 at 12:29 am

Honestly, the fashion differences between 2004 and now are so slight that you probably wouldn't immediately even notice. I think you have to go back a few more years before you'd notice much of an immediate difference fashion and style wise.  The last decade has felt pretty stagnant in terms of style changes. Less baggy stuff now and that's about it.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/30/14 at 1:04 am

In my opinion, fashion has been the same since like 1994. Obviously, I don't know much about fashion, eh?  ;D

Written By: Emman on 01/30/14 at 1:35 am

Here's what I said about being transported to the early '00s in another thread

"The same cannot be said of 2002 and 2013 though, I feel if I was suddenly transported to 2002 without my knowledge I won't know the difference from the fashions, car styles, ect, only by looking at some of the technological devices(old cellphones, CRT computers, no youtube, ect) would I know I was in the early '00s."

1964-1974 is a big, big difference for just a decade, 1974-1984 is still a big difference but not compared to 1964-1974, 1984-1994 is still much less of a difference than 1974-1984, the same with 1994-2004 vs 2004-2014. It seems the big cultural changes came around 1964-1981, things seemed to kind of settle in the '80s, the music, fashion, subcultures, ect the '90s and '00s were just advances on the trends started in the late '70s and '80s(punk, alternative, rap, rave/acid house, ect).

Also 1934 looks very similar to 1924, obviously The Great Depression was a HUGE difference but I'm thinking in terms of fashion and style(both had finger waves and short, cropped hairstyles for women, art deco, ect), what I'm getting at is I think cultural trends come in surges and troughs, another surge period like 1964-1981 was 1890-1920, that's why the 1920s are so different from the late 19th century, by the time they arrived the progressive era was over.

There still are some big differences though, fashion wise the hipster aesthetic is strong circa 2014, EDM has been huge for 4-5 years, social media is ubiquitous, angst is almost completely gone in most popular music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/30/14 at 1:41 am

If I was sent back to 2004, I would make sure I had a copy of Grays Sports Almanac with me.

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/14 at 2:13 am

If I was sent back to 2004, I would make sure I had a copy of Grays Sports Almanac with me.

that and a paper with all the lotto numbers

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/30/14 at 2:49 am

I actually think fashion is pretty different, but part of it that there's just more variety these days. In previous decades there seemed to be one dominant style...that's why it's usually pretty easy to tell if a photo is from the '60s, '70s, '80s, etc. There is some fashion around today that wasn't around in 2004. However, you could still get away with wearing some of that 2004 stuff and no one would think it was weird.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/30/14 at 4:33 am

However, you could still get away with wearing some of that 2004 stuff and no one would think it was weird.

Yes, that's true. Even some 90's stuff would work today. To be honest - I haven't changed my style since 2003 or so ;)

But definetly noticable would be the lack of people constantly looking and wiping on smartphones.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/14 at 8:47 am

people are running around with classic cellphones - not even those flip phones - instead of smartphones
-they do not watch them all the time

I don't think iPods were around 10 years ago, the cellphones 10 years ago were a bit smaller than it is now.

Written By: snozberries on 01/30/14 at 8:48 am

I don't think iPods were around 10 years ago, the cellphones 10 years ago were a bit smaller than it is now.

the first iPod was released in 2001

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1353/HT1353_30.jpg

Written By: XYkid on 01/30/14 at 1:57 pm

Most things from 2004 do looks somewhat dated, but not to the point of being completely obsolete. I still hear hit songs from 10 years ago on contemporary radio stations, and they don't sound too noticeably dated from today's music.
If I were to go back to 2004, I would probably notice that no one is on their smart phones. Most of the fashion wouldn't look too out of place in 2014, I think 2002/2003 was around the time when we started moving away from the baggy fashion of the late 90s.
Cars would look different, but I know a lot about cars so that's just me, to the average person most of the cars wouldn't look that dated. The major difference would be the amount of large SUVs.

Kind of reminds me of that scene in Billy Madison where Billy drives up to the High School in a Trans AM, blasting Billy Squier, wearing a jean jacket and REO Speedwagon shirt, and having all of the kids laughing at him. The equivalent of that would probably be some guy driving up to a High School in a Lincoln Navigator, blasting 50 Cent, wearing an oversized football jersey with gold chains, though I bet there are a few kids that might see him as 'cool'.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/14 at 2:18 pm

If I were to go back to 2004, I would probably notice that no one is on their smart phones.

http://media02.hongkiat.com/mobilephone-revolution/cellphone-motorazr-(2004).jpg

http://virtualvillage.wesleyan.edu/virtualvillage/updates/images/cell_phone.jpg

Motorolas was what people were using in 2004.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/30/14 at 2:44 pm

Yes it would because there were regular cellphones, PS2. Xbox and gamecube were still dominating, Dial-Up internet, TV was still good, not much online gaming, unless you had Xbox Live, no Blu-ray, no twitter, tumblr, instagram or youtube, some people were still using MP3s or CD players, music was still good, no big financial crisis, no black president yet, technology wasnt that mainstream, not many reality shows etc.

http://media02.hongkiat.com/mobilephone-revolution/cellphone-motorazr-(2004).jpg

My sister had one of those.

the first iPod was released in 2001

http://km.support.apple.com/library/APPLE/APPLECARE_ALLGEOS/HT1353/HT1353_30.jpg
I think what Howard was saying is that Ipods werent popular 10 years ago.

Written By: warped on 01/30/14 at 2:47 pm

No.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/14 at 2:55 pm

Yes it would because there were regular cellphones, PS2.

I used a PS2 up until 2007 until I traded it in for a PS3.

Written By: Inertia on 01/30/14 at 6:28 pm

Wait ... are saying that the longer the period of time that lapses ... the more different things are?  Wow ... who would've guessed!  ::)

;D

Written By: XYkid on 01/30/14 at 7:08 pm

I remember when Razrs were cool, I even wanted one and I was only 10.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/30/14 at 7:17 pm

Razrs were cool but unfortunately they proved to be quite fragile. I dropped mine once and it broke apart.  :(

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/31/14 at 2:01 am

I would be able to tell right away
You would see people dressed like this
all over the place
http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/large/wigger-15345.jpg

wearing this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qrFQ1wZRMq4/TJ8PcsjZ7yI/AAAAAAAABOQ/ERICZuJid5E/s400/bling_bling.jpg
The radio would be almost all rap except if you turned on rock or adult contemporary or maybe country (which was also big in 2004)
The politics were a lot different as well and so was the vibe.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/31/14 at 2:07 am

The equivalent of that would probably be some guy driving up to a High School in a Lincoln Navigator, blasting 50 Cent, wearing an oversized football jersey with gold chains, though I bet there are a few kids that might see him as 'cool'.

How do you think people would react if someone did that at a high school today?
Students? teachers?

Written By: snozberries on 01/31/14 at 3:05 am

Yes it would because there were regular cellphones, PS2. Xbox and gamecube were still dominating, Dial-Up internet, TV was still good, not much online gaming, unless you had Xbox Live, no Blu-ray, no twitter, tumblr, instagram or youtube, some people were still using MP3s or CD players, music was still good, no big financial crisis, no black president yet, technology wasnt that mainstream, not many reality shows etc.
My sister had one of those.
I think what Howard was saying is that Ipods werent popular 10 years ago.

Not around is not the same as not popular. 

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/14 at 10:45 am

Not around is not the same as not popular.
I understand that. The first Ipod came out in 2001, except that they weren't popular until about 2006.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/14 at 3:43 pm

I think what Howard was saying is that Ipods weren't popular 10 years ago.

I don't think many people were using iPods back then.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/14 at 3:45 pm

How do you think people would react if someone did that at a high school today?
Students? teachers?

probably they would think that person is a nutjob.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/14 at 4:37 pm

I don't think many people were using iPods back then.
Same here, when I was in middle school, I saw people with cellphones, but not Ipods. I didn't see anyone with a Ipod until I got to high school.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/31/14 at 5:20 pm

Same here, when I was in middle school, I saw people with cellphones, but not Ipods. I didn't see anyone with a Ipod until I got to high school.

iPods were quite expensive back then. I have bought my first MP3-player in 2004, but it was a simple USB-flash based one with 128 MB (~100 USD).

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/14 at 5:43 pm

iPods were quite expensive back then. I have bought my first MP3-player in 2004, but it was a simple USB-flash based one with 128 MB (~100 USD).
I had one of those too, but first I had a Discman.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/31/14 at 5:45 pm

Is it weird that I have never owned an iPod or MP3 player? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 01/31/14 at 6:36 pm

1994-2004 and 2004-2014 are equally spread out in differences. Seriously I don't know why people read too much into this. Some things are different, some things are the same. That's normal for 10 years.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/31/14 at 6:42 pm

It's not if you wanna stay old school.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 02/01/14 at 12:04 am

Hmm, I might have to look around for a bit to see the difference. I think the clothing would have been a bit baggier with some late-90's influences still hanging around. Fashion had already changed from the late 90's, but the very polished look that seemed to crystalize around 2008 still hadn't come into its own. That said, I think that most could wear clothes from 2004 without looking particularly dated, in part because, as one poster noted, 2010's fashion seems to be defined by its variety. Obviously the internet would be quite different, with Myspace just barely getting popular and facebook still largely unheard of. Some cheesy late 90's web design might still not look so prehistoric. People wouldn't be accessing the internet everywhere from their cells. Hipster wouldn't be a commonly heard word, at least not in my suburb of Seattle. Iraq War protests would still be going on (and come to think of it, I saw some photos recently and the clothes didn't look so outdated). So it wouldn't feel completely alien, but it wouldn't feel exactly the same as today either.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/01/14 at 12:34 am

Hmm, I might have to look around for a bit to see the difference. I think the clothing would have been a bit baggier with some late-90's influences still hanging around. Fashion had already changed from the late 90's, but the very polished look that seemed to crystalize around 2008 still hadn't come into its own. That said, I think that most could wear clothes from 2004 without looking particularly dated, in part because, as one poster noted, 2010's fashion seems to be defined by its variety. Obviously the internet would be quite different, with Myspace just barely getting popular and facebook still largely unheard of. Some cheesy late 90's web design might still not look so prehistoric. People wouldn't be accessing the internet everywhere from their cells. Hipster wouldn't be a commonly heard word, at least not in my suburb of Seattle. Iraq War protests would still be going on (and come to think of it, I saw some photos recently and the clothes didn't look so outdated). So it wouldn't feel completely alien, but it wouldn't feel exactly the same as today either.

Exactly, well said. Some differences, some similarities and that's normal for a period of ten years.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/01/14 at 3:22 am

1994-2004 and 2004-2014 are equally spread out in differences. Seriously I don't know why people read too much into this. Some things are different, some things are the same. That's normal for 10 years.

But not in this era. You may not underestimate the influence of the internet which gained popularity in the mid-late 90s. 1994 was still before this time. In 1994, the internet was still not relevant for most people. Today it is a system which rules our lives and this was also the case in 2004.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/01/14 at 3:24 am

I had one of those too, but first I had a Discman.

I had a discman in the late 90s/early 00s, but I never really liked it. It was just too big.
Before that, I had a walkman :)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/01/14 at 3:26 am

What did you use instead? Nowadays I use my cellphone.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/01/14 at 3:35 am

What did you use instead? Nowadays I use my cellphone.

These days I mainly use YouTube. If I really like a song I will download it from Amazon and add it to my Windows Media Player library. I was never really into music until fairly recently. But for the handful of CDs I did own back in the day, I used this:

http://www.caixapretta.com.br/wp-content/uploads/coisas-anos-90-4.jpg

Written By: XYkid on 02/01/14 at 3:41 am

These days I mainly use YouTube. If I really like a song I will download it from Amazon and add it to my Windows Media Player library. I was never really into music until fairly recently. But for the handful of CDs I did own back in the day, I used this:

I also had a Discman, and it came with FM radio. Too bad it broke, I miss it. :(

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/01/14 at 3:49 am

I also had a Discman, and it came with FM radio. Too bad it broke, I miss it. :(

How can you miss such bulky gadgets?  :o ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/01/14 at 5:57 am

I had a discman in the late 90s/early 00s, but I never really liked it. It was just too big.
Before that, I had a walkman :)
I think I had a Walkman as well, but I'm not sure when.

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/14 at 7:08 am

I understand that. The first Ipod came out in 2001, except that they weren't popular until about 2006.

you were in middle school... so you weren't necessarily aware of what people were and weren't using at the time... yes the sales were higher in 2006 but that is because iPods were no longer exclusively compatible with Apple computers. once they became PC compatible the sales skyrocketed....but plenty of people still had iPods in 2004.  and certain people wanted them as early as in 2005 :D

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=9314.msg395546#msg395546
(for some reason it's not linking as it should so you will probably have to copy the link and paste it in your address bar)

Written By: yelimsexa on 02/01/14 at 9:35 am

IMO for people of a certain age (true of any generation), personal life situations would be remarkably different, and for those born in the '80s, there is a big change from then. In 2004, I was 19 and almost nobody my age was married, and for those with steady relationships, weren't serious yet about marriage until at least completing college. Ten years later, my dating pool is much smaller (I'm still single), yet the majority of my high school classmates (I recently had a 10 year reunion) were either married, engaged, or in a serious relationship with perhaps a few divorced from a previous marriage, plus many are now parents with their own kids.

That said, America was already a post-9/11 society, so security measures were pretty much in place by then, though I notice that fewer people had home security systems back then. It was easier to find '60s and '70s music on the radio on classic stations. Also:

-More payphones. They were long in the tooth and already in decline, but I can name several places off the top of my head where they still existed then.
-Many movies still used film as opposed to digital picture quality today. Digital cameras were around and quite popular, but many still used actual film, and one-hour development technology was popular.
-Different logos on certain companies. Sears still used its capital letter logo that was the same since 1984, Microsoft with its classic logo used during the '90s was still around; Walmart was in all-Caps, etc. Usually about 10 years is when you start to notice some differences in corporate logos.
-Very few food trucks

That said, 2004 IMO in terms style is closer to 2014 than it is to 1994. IMO things more or less settled out around 1999-2000 in terms of style, since the "futuristic" look amid the Y2K hype/celebration was the last time there was such a big shift in style. The change from 2000 to 2014 IMO is about the same as 1993 to 2000.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/01/14 at 10:49 am

Honestly, the fashion differences between 2004 and now are so slight that you probably wouldn't immediately even notice. I think you have to go back a few more years before you'd notice much of an immediate difference fashion and style wise.  The last decade has felt pretty stagnant in terms of style changes. Less baggy stuff now and that's about it.

I disagree.  The emo/scene look was starting to get big in 2004 and peaked in the late '00s.  You didn't have hipsters in 2004 like you do today.  In 2004, it was mostly preppy mall store clothes like Abercrombie and Fitch and the like that was popular, at least where I lived.  One thing you are right on is that you could dress today like you did in 2004 and still be acceptable.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/01/14 at 10:56 am

all over the place

wearing this

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qrFQ1wZRMq4/TJ8PcsjZ7yI/AAAAAAAABOQ/ERICZuJid5E/s400/bling_bling.jpg
The radio would be almost all rap except if you turned on rock or adult contemporary or maybe country (which was also big in 2004)

Agreed.  You don't see that much hip-hop attire any more today like you did then.  It also was still socially acceptable and even somewhat popular to be a Republican.  Adult contemporary stations still played 1980s and 1990s "soft rock."  Today, Adult Contemporary stations are mostly playing last year's Top 40.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/01/14 at 12:48 pm

you were in middle school... so you weren't necessarily aware of what people were and weren't using at the time... yes the sales were higher in 2006 but that is because iPods were no longer exclusively compatible with Apple computers. once they became PC compatible the sales skyrocketed....but plenty of people still had iPods in 2004.  and certain people wanted them as early as in 2005

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=9314.msg395546#msg39554

I have read the topic you sent me and it goes back to 2005. See, Ipods weren't popular until about 2006. Even if some people wanted one in 2004/05, they couldn't buy one because of the high cost Ipods were. Unless they were rich.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/01/14 at 1:04 pm

If I were to be sent back to 2004, I would call my sister, my grandmother, my mother, my father, & my father-in-law.

Cat

Written By: Slim95 on 02/01/14 at 1:49 pm

But not in this era. You may not underestimate the influence of the internet which gained popularity in the mid-late 90s. 1994 was still before this time. In 1994, the internet was still not relevant for most people. Today it is a system which rules our lives and this was also the case in 2004.

Even with Internet... It's just different forms of it in each year. 1994 Internet was used by researchers in science lab's and rich people. 2004 Internet was used on Desktop computers and laptops. 2014 Internet is used on mobile phones and tablets. Same thing just completely different forms of usage.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/01/14 at 1:59 pm

Even with Internet... It's just different forms of it in each year. 1994 Internet was used by researchers in science lab's and rich people. 2004 Internet was used on Desktop computers and laptops. 2014 Internet is used on mobile phones and tablets. Same thing just completely different forms of usage.

In 1994, internet was a big exception for normal people and it did not provide lots of information. This was totally different in 2004 when due to high speed internet nearly everything was possible on-line.
You could even use internet on mobile phones in 2004 by the way.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/14 at 2:03 pm

As the Internet got better, the more we stay in?

Written By: XYkid on 02/01/14 at 2:31 pm

How can you miss such bulky gadgets?  :o ;)
It's more like I miss the memories I had with it, you know, sentimental reasons.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/01/14 at 2:33 pm

It's more like I miss the memories I had with it, you know, sentimental reasons.

I think I hated my Diskman because it ran out of power too fast and it was not very resistant against shocks from outside.

Written By: snozberries on 02/01/14 at 2:41 pm

I have read the topic you sent me and it goes back to 2005. See, Ipods weren't popular until about 2006. Even if some people wanted one in 2004/05, they couldn't buy one because of the high cost Ipods were. Unless they were rich.

I know the thread was started in 05 hence my comment certain people wanted them in early 2005....which is before 06.

Plenty if people had iPods in 04 all of the people who owned apple computers.  Just because you didn't have doesn't mean it wasn't popular... Yes apple boasted higher sales in 06 than 04 but the sales in 04 were good enough to keep the product on the market. There are still message boards in the net about people buying iPods in 04.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/01/14 at 3:02 pm

I know the thread was started in 05 hence my comment certain people wanted them in early 2005....which is before 06.

Plenty if people had iPods in 04 all of the people who owned apple computers.  Just because you didn't have doesn't mean it wasn't popular... Yes apple boasted higher sales in 06 than 04 but the sales in 04 were good enough to keep the product on the market. There are still message boards in the net about people buying iPods in 04.
I understand now. Its crazy how they were only popular for only 4 or 5 years, then they were replaced by the Iphone.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/14 at 3:36 pm

I had a Sony Discman and I also had a smaller cellphone.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/14 at 3:38 pm

How much would they go for today? ???

Written By: Howard on 02/01/14 at 3:41 pm

and I think in 2004 people were using cable modems.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/14 at 3:41 pm

As the Internet got better, the more we stay in?

Yep, you could say that.

Written By: Howard on 02/01/14 at 3:43 pm

I think I hated my Diskman because it ran out of power too fast and it was not very resistant against shocks from outside.

Didn't you have batteries? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/14 at 3:43 pm

Yep, you could say that.
...and public libraries began to shut down.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/01/14 at 4:05 pm

Didn't you have batteries? ???

It was a waste of batteries.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/01/14 at 5:30 pm

I had a Sony Discman and I also had a smaller cellphone.
Same here. I had both. The company my phone was from was Samsung.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 02/01/14 at 5:38 pm

I was still using a Discman in 2004. I didn´t get my first iPod until about 2008. Then again, I´ve always waited until it is absolutely necessary to buy new technology before doing so. Incidentally, I didn't get my first cell-phone until the end of 2004, when I was a junior in high school.

I still have a flip phone, which is what I use when I go back to Seattle to visit my family (I'm currently living in Mexico).

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/01/14 at 8:04 pm

In 1994, internet was a big exception for normal people and it did not provide lots of information. This was totally different in 2004 when due to high speed internet nearly everything was possible on-line.
You could even use internet on mobile phones in 2004 by the way.

In 2004, there was no YouTube. In 2004, websites had a much more primitive design and social networking was largely unheard of. Few people knew of Facebook and MySpace was just known by the fringe. People would use instant messenger and go on AOL chat rooms basically. It was also less saturated and easier to become internet famous back then as opposed to now. Politicians were not as interactive on the internet in the 04 elections vs. the 08 elections and later, when social networking became much bigger. I would also say there is a lot more reliable information online today vs. 2004. The internet is taken much more seriously as a source of information today vs. back then.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/01/14 at 8:42 pm

Agreed.  You don't see that much hip-hop attire any more today like you did then.  It also was still socially acceptable and even somewhat popular to be a Republican.  Adult contemporary stations still played 1980s and 1990s "soft rock."  Today, Adult Contemporary stations are mostly playing last year's Top 40.

If people doubt it, they should check out the 2004 billboard top 100.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Year-End_Hot_100_singles_of_2004
You couldn't really escape it.
As for adult contemporary I noticed the same with playing recent hits but I think they actually play more 80s now than back in the 00s. The mostly 80s/90s adult contemporary is what I noticed in the actual 90s and they threw in some late 70s into the mix.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/01/14 at 8:43 pm

I disagree.  The emo/scene look was starting to get big in 2004 and peaked in the late '00s.  You didn't have hipsters in 2004 like you do today.  In 2004, it was mostly preppy mall store clothes like Abercrombie and Fitch and the like that was popular, at least where I lived.  One thing you are right on is that you could dress today like you did in 2004 and still be acceptable.

I think it was a mix of what you said and people dressing like the rappers in the music videos. There were some who dressed alternative though.

How do you think people would react to someone acting like this today?

"The equivalent of that would probably be some guy driving up to a High School in a Lincoln Navigator, blasting 50 Cent, wearing an oversized football jersey with gold chains"

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/01/14 at 8:43 pm

Yeah it would feel different, if my body went back to the way it was, I'd be 90 lbs heavier. I don't want to have the weight of a 10-year-old on me again.  ;D

But I don't think it would feel AS scary as it does now. I know alot of us were still shaken up in the post 9/11 world, but it wasn't nearly as crazy then as it is now, with all kinds of shootings and bombings and things in random places.

It felt safer back then to me.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/01/14 at 9:11 pm

As for adult contemporary I noticed the same with playing recent hits but I think they actually play more 80s now than back in the 00s. The mostly 80s/90s adult contemporary is what I noticed in the actual 90s and they threw in some late 70s into the mix.

If you look at the songs that hit number one in the U.S. in 2004, every single one of them was hip-hop/R&B...perhaps the only exception being Fantasia's "I Believe"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Billboard_Hot_100_number-one_singles_of_2004

Written By: Ripley on 02/01/14 at 9:19 pm

that and a paper with all the lotto numbers

Yes me too!

Written By: Ripley on 02/01/14 at 9:22 pm

I still use one of these and I'm not afraid to admit it  :P

Written By: XYkid on 02/02/14 at 12:55 am

Believe or not, I got by in 2004 without having to listen to a whole lot of rap, and on top of that I lived in Houston, TX, at the time, probably one of the best cities for hip hop.
I mostly listened to Radio Disney and Mix 96.5, the latter mostly playing a mix of 90s and current pop hits.
There was a lot of good rock music in 2004, it makes me sad that it was mostly overshadowed by rap.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/02/14 at 3:42 am

In 2004, there was no YouTube. In 2004, websites had a much more primitive design and social networking was largely unheard of. Few people knew of Facebook and MySpace was just known by the fringe. People would use instant messenger and go on AOL chat rooms basically. It was also less saturated and easier to become internet famous back then as opposed to now. Politicians were not as interactive on the internet in the 04 elections vs. the 08 elections and later, when social networking became much bigger. I would also say there is a lot more reliable information online today vs. 2004. The internet is taken much more seriously as a source of information today vs. back then.

No, there was no Youtube, but its not that there was absolutely no video streaming. I remember watching videos on-line as early as 2001.
It's true that the internet has changed a lot since 2004 but it was already highly advanced and a reliable resource.

My main point is that I have to agree with those who are saying that the gap between 1994 and 2004 is bigger than the one between 2004 and 2014. The way of communicating totally changed between the mid 90s and the early 00s. As I have often mentioned in this forum, I technically don't see much difference between writing an E-Mail and writing one on facebook. Both are instantly on the other side of the Atlantic or elsewhere... But in 1994, people were still writing letters. I actually had 'penfriends' in the late 90s for instance.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/02/14 at 4:56 am

Believe or not, I got by in 2004 without having to listen to a whole lot of rap, and on top of that I lived in Houston, TX, at the time, probably one of the best cities for hip hop.
I mostly listened to Radio Disney and Mix 96.5, the latter mostly playing a mix of 90s and current pop hits.
There was a lot of good rock music in 2004, it makes me sad that it was mostly overshadowed by rap.

I remember a lot of the rock in 2004 and it was very good quality. It saddens me too because there was so much of it. The thing is, in 2004, you could easily get to it by turning on a rock station. If you turn on a rock station today, you don't get this quality. Ironic hipster music is more popular now but what was considered hipster music back in 2004 was a lot better than what you hear today.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4j-r7qPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fBdpreJiU

This is from 2006 and it proves my point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn1DU2DzJPk

But all of this is forgotten

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/02/14 at 4:59 am

No, there was no Youtube, but its not that there was absolutely no video streaming. I remember watching videos on-line as early as 2001.
It's true that the internet has changed a lot since 2004 but it was already highly advanced and a reliable resource.

My main point is that I have to agree with those who are saying that the gap between 1994 and 2004 is bigger than the one between 2004 and 2014. The way of communicating totally changed between the mid 90s and the early 00s. As I have often mentioned in this forum, I technically don't see much difference between writing an E-Mail and writing one on facebook. Both are instantly on the other side of the Atlantic or elsewhere... But in 1994, people were still writing letters. I actually had 'penfriends' in the late 90s for instance.

It would take forever to stream back then. It was extremely slow and you had to wait a long time. Facebook is different because you could instantly connect to people by name, people that were in your past. It made it a lot easier to connect to people. With email, you couldn't find people in your past as easily. I agree 1994 and 2004 has a lot more of a gap technologically. However, it doesn't negate that the difference between now and 2004 is a lot more than people think.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/02/14 at 1:05 pm

One thing I don't think people have mentioned is that in 2004, there was 1 in 2 chance you still had a dial-up Internet connection.  If you did, there was no streaming or Web 2.0 services.  You were pretty much still stuck in a 90s Internet.  2004 was the year that in the US the percentage of all Internet connections that were high-speed crossed the 50% mark.  Broadband connections at the time weren't near as good at reaching people in less densely populated areas let alone rural America.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/02/14 at 1:48 pm

One thing I don't think people have mentioned is that in 2004, there was 1 in 2 chance you still had a dial-up Internet connection.  If you did, there was no streaming or Web 2.0 services.  You were pretty much still stuck in a 90s Internet.  2004 was the year that in the US the percentage of all Internet connections that were high-speed crossed the 50% mark.  Broadband connections at the time weren't near as good at reaching people in less densely populated areas let alone rural America.
  That's I had. I still had dial-up internet in 2004 because my family didn't get broadband Internet until 2006.

Written By: XYkid on 02/02/14 at 2:33 pm

I remember a lot of the rock in 2004 and it was very good quality. It saddens me too because there was so much of it. The thing is, in 2004, you could easily get to it by turning on a rock station. If you turn on a rock station today, you don't get this quality. Ironic hipster music is more popular now but what was considered hipster music back in 2004 was a lot better than what you hear today.
I know it's sad.
This song is one of my favourites of 2004, the album itself was released a year prior but this song gained airplay in the summer of '04.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X9fLbfzCqWw

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/02/14 at 3:02 pm

It would take forever to stream back then. It was extremely slow and you had to wait a long time.

Videos had a lower resolution, so it was not a big problem to stream even with (digital) dial-up. The biggest issue is probably the variety that has changed. Nowadays you can find a video on any topic - in 2004 it was very limited.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/14 at 3:33 pm

Same here. I had both. The company my phone was from was Samsung.

I think I still have mine.  ???

Written By: Howard on 02/02/14 at 3:35 pm

In 2004, there was no YouTube

Yep, that's right. YouTube didn't happen for another year.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/14 at 3:37 pm

Now, people can watch videos and listen to music as well from plenty of websites.

Written By: Howard on 02/02/14 at 3:39 pm

dial-up was so damn slow!

Written By: Slim95 on 02/02/14 at 5:16 pm

Lot's of things have changed since 2004. 2004 has way more in  common with the late 90's and early 00's than now. Even the show Friends was still airing in 2004.

Written By: Katluver on 02/02/14 at 5:50 pm

Just a few subtle changes including more compact cars out on the streets, people looking at their cellphones more often, Facebook/Twitter, wood flooring in kitchens, similar music except with more indie tracks, a few fashion trends that I no longer see...

Written By: XYkid on 02/02/14 at 9:42 pm

Lot's of things have changed since 2004. 2004 has way more in  common with the late 90's and early 00's than now. Even the show Friends was still airing in 2004.
I agree, 2004 still had a bit of that late 90s leftover feel, but that was mostly gone by 2005.
You still had late 90s style dance pop coming out in 2004, like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-hz3rk1HUc

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/02/14 at 9:48 pm

I agree, 2004 still had a bit of that late 90s leftover feel, but that was mostly gone by 2005.
You still had late 90s style dance pop coming out in 2004, like this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-hz3rk1HUc

I agree with both of you. 2004 will always be part of the late 90s/early 00s. To me, 2004 looks a little old school now.

Written By: 1993 on 02/02/14 at 11:16 pm

No YouTube...the "on demand" society we enjoy today didn't exist yet. No hulu

Facebook was still in its crib and unkown. It was still a myspace world

HD television still hadn't reached a majority of American homes

A good deal of early 90's cars were still on the road. A 1990 Ford Taurus looks like a relic today...it didn't quite in 2004

People still went out to rent movies. Rent DVD's. No blu ray

No PS3/360. It was still PS2.

No Twitter. Nowadays you can tweet at a celebrity and athlete...and they might tweet back! Not in 2004. There were less ways to connect. Plus athletes/celebrities got into less trouble back then because of no twitter

Written By: SiderealDreams on 02/02/14 at 11:20 pm

In 2004, not only was facebook relatively unknown, it had its membership restricted to university students. I first found out about it in 2005 after my brother had finished his first year at the university and I had finished my penultimate year of high school.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/02/14 at 11:31 pm

Facebook was still in its crib and unkown. It was still a myspace world

HD television still hadn't reached a majority of American homes

A good deal of early 90's cars were still on the road. A 1990 Ford Taurus looks like a relic today...it didn't quite in 2004

People still went out to rent movies. Rent DVD's. No blu ray

No PS3/360. It was still PS2.
That's why 2004 looks old because we didn't have any of that yet.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/03/14 at 3:20 am

Lot's of things have changed since 2004. 2004 has way more in  common with the late 90's and early 00's than now.

Yes, because the 90s weren't even over for 5 years then, while 2004 is a decade ago today.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/14 at 6:42 am

also Frasier & Desperate Housewives started.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/14 at 6:44 am

YouTube was probably in the works.

Written By: XYkid on 02/03/14 at 3:11 pm

YouTube was probably in the works.
I read somewhere recently that apple came up with the idea for the iPhone in 2004.

Written By: Howard on 02/03/14 at 7:13 pm

and In 2004, we were still feeling the effects of 9/11 3 years later.

Written By: sonikuu on 02/04/14 at 4:42 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ijk4j-r7qPA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5fBdpreJiU

This is from 2006 and it proves my point

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tn1DU2DzJPk

But all of this is forgotten

I was a big fan of Rock music throughout the 00s and I do think the mainstream Rock scene was a lot better then than it is now.  I genuinely miss the Rock scene from back then.  I think that top 40 music and Rap music have both improved in the 2010s, but Rock music sadly has not. 

As far as other stuff goes, I'll just echo what was said here by most people about technological differences and stuff.  I'll just add in a few more specific things:

- MP3 players were starting to be commonplace by 2005 at last.  I remember a girl in class one time seeing a guy with a CD player in 2005 and saying "Oh my god, you still have a CD player?"  Myspace's popularity also dates back to around that same year. 
- Baggy Hip-Hop clothing, Emo clothing, and preppy clothing represented the mainstream for teens.  Preppy clothing then was all about the brightly colored West Coast "beach" look, perhaps best epitomized by Hollister.  Stuff like H&M and Forever 21 that I see all over now were not around, or at least not popular, then.
- Reality shows were worse on network tv than they now, but cable tv was in better shape.  That said, the past few years have seen some amazing shows, so today is arguably better than 2004 tv-wise.
- A more conservative political climate than now.  Remember, multiple states banned gay marriage in 2004, whereas now it is increasingly being legalized state by state.  Transgenders are talked increasingly about now, whereas they weren't even close to being on the radar in 2004.
- Online gaming was, of course, much smaller compared to now.  Online gaming in 2004 was basically solely limited to the Xbox.  PS2 could go online with optional add-ons, but them being optional and not adopted by 90% of the owners meant they were rarely used.  By 2006, though, online gaming was taking off.
- Lastly, attitudes to 90s things were different.  90s nostalgia was still mostly eclipsed by 80s nostalgia.  NSync and the Backstreet Boys were still viewed as outdated and cheesy, not as nostalgic timepieces.  Nostalgia in general seems to be bigger now I think.

Written By: Howard on 02/04/14 at 7:42 am

Online gaming was, of course, much smaller compared to now.  Online gaming in 2004 was basically solely limited to the Xbox.  PS2 could go online with optional add-ons, but them being optional and not adopted by 90% of the owners meant they were rarely used.  By 2006, though, online gaming was taking off.

Let me add also the PS3 as well, with the PS3 you can download Crackle, Netflix, Redbox and a load of music videos to watch all day.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/04/14 at 3:13 pm

A good amount of subtle differences.

Written By: Katluver on 02/05/14 at 1:54 pm

and In 2004, we were still feeling the effects of 9/11 3 years later.

Many of us are still feeling the effects.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/05/14 at 2:01 pm

I think this topic past the border of Decadology especially with the 1994, 2004, 2014 discussion.  :P

Written By: Howard on 02/05/14 at 2:03 pm

I think this topic past the border of Decadology especially with the 1994, 2004, 2014 discussion.  :P

I agree, maybe it should be locked?  ???

Written By: SiderealDreams on 02/05/14 at 7:38 pm

How is it decadeology to talk about the changes noticeable in a ten year period? This thread isn't talking about baseless similarities or differences, but rather traceable changes. I didn't think that was decadeology.

Written By: plum1992 on 02/05/14 at 10:43 pm

Maybe it's just me, but it seems that people ( Americans, at least), generally, dress better than they did in '04. 

Written By: bchris02 on 02/09/14 at 1:11 am

- Online gaming was, of course, much smaller compared to now.  Online gaming in 2004 was basically solely limited to the Xbox.  PS2 could go online with optional add-ons, but them being optional and not adopted by 90% of the owners meant they were rarely used.  By 2006, though, online gaming was taking off.

In 2004, the PC was still king of online gaming.  In fact, that was the year that PC gaming really peaked.  2004 was the year World of Warcraft came out and exploded, and it was a PC exclusive.  Therefore, you cannot say that online gaming didn't exist or was small in 2004, it was just different.  A lot of people forget about the PC today being that it as a gaming platform is for the most part dead, but up until around 2007 it was still a very popular platform.

Written By: XYkid on 02/09/14 at 6:30 pm

In 2004, the PC was still king of online gaming.  In fact, that was the year that PC gaming really peaked.  2004 was the year World of Warcraft came out and exploded, and it was a PC exclusive.  Therefore, you cannot say that online gaming didn't exist or was small in 2004, it was just different.  A lot of people forget about the PC today being that it as a gaming platform is for the most part dead, but up until around 2007 it was still a very popular platform.
I should also add that I began playing Runescape in late 2004.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/10/14 at 3:52 am

I have recently watched the first episode of our German version of "The Office" which aired in late 2004. It was shot a great location to identify datedness and it is definetly there: Late 90s/Early 00s-like white desktop pcs, CRT monitors, old windows versions and flip phones were used.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/11/14 at 3:17 am

Now if I can rip a hole in the space-time continuum...

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/25/14 at 4:16 am

I would feel lost without my smart phone and high speed internet. We didn't get flat screen anything until 2009 so I could live with that. It was also nice that internet was more user friendly and TV shows didn't have so many copies of eachother.

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 8:01 am

I think the internet now is much faster compared to 10 years ago.

Written By: warped on 02/25/14 at 8:10 am

O0
Nothing gets past you, Howard.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/14 at 8:40 am

...and bigger!

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 9:48 am

...and bigger!

screens are larger.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/14 at 9:49 am

screens are larger.
My new monitor is CinemaScope shaped!

Written By: Howard on 02/25/14 at 4:06 pm

My new monitor is CinemaScope shaped!

Is it big enough to view?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/14 at 4:52 am

Is it big enough to view?
The view is better

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/26/14 at 5:34 pm

10 years ago, the internet still felt as fast as it is today, because we weren't used to receive/transfer that much data like we do today.
And websites were not overloaded like today.

Written By: Howard on 02/26/14 at 7:09 pm

10 years ago, the internet still felt as fast as it is today, because we weren't used to receive/transfer that much data like we do today.
And websites were not overloaded like today.

I know, with all this 4G and super fast speeds webpages come up in an instant.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/26/14 at 8:31 pm

We're losing privacy now though.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/14 at 8:12 am

We're losing privacy now though.

Back then you didn't have Facebook Instagram or Twitter now just about everyone wants to know what you're doing.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/27/14 at 4:57 pm

Back then you didn't have Facebook Instagram or Twitter now just about everyone wants to know what you're doing.

But you don't have to offer them the information.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/03/14 at 1:58 am

I know, and your real name shouldn't be their buisness nor where you live. There are reasons people want anonymity.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/12/14 at 5:32 am

I would feel ten years younger!

Written By: Howard on 05/12/14 at 7:23 pm

I would be 30.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/28/14 at 9:41 am

I would be 30.

I would be 18, going on 19.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/14 at 12:07 pm

Lees aches and pains!

Written By: Howard on 05/28/14 at 2:12 pm

Lees aches and pains!

and for me, more hair.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/14 at 2:30 pm

and for me, more hair.
Some cases as some of my friends, less hair.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/14 at 3:16 pm

I would look younger.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/14 at 3:30 pm

I would look younger.
Less grey hair and winkles.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/29/14 at 7:05 am

I would weigh less!  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 8:02 am

I would weigh less!  8)
The same here.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 8:10 am

Less grey hair and winkles.

and a bit more energetic.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/29/14 at 8:10 am

The same here.

Oh to be 125 again!  :(

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 8:13 am

Oh to be 125 again!  :(
In fact I do not know what my weight was back then, but it must have been less than it is now.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 2:37 pm

I would have Windows 2000.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 8:52 am

Not me. I went from Windows 98 to Windows Vista.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/30/14 at 10:00 am

I would be very close to my 18th birthday and working on Windows XP with digital (ISDN) dial-up.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/30/14 at 5:54 pm

Up through 2005 would feel very different
2006 was when it started to transition into today.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 8:04 pm

14 years ago? ???

Four years ago.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/14 at 8:44 pm

I would be on my first date.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/30/14 at 11:57 pm

--Music would be better.
--Mom would be here.
--Michael would be here.
--My kidneys would actually work, but I would be 100 pounds fatter. LOL.  ::)

Written By: popguru85 on 06/02/14 at 5:41 pm

I would be getting ready to graduate high school
would be registered for college in the fall

Written By: Howard on 06/02/14 at 7:14 pm

Written By: gibbo on 06/02/14 at 7:15 pm

I reckon I'd feel at least 10 years younger!

Written By: XYkid on 06/02/14 at 8:52 pm

I wish I could go back an relive the summer of 2004, it was really one of the best times of my life. Hanging out with my older cousin and feeling like one of the big boys (I was 10 at the time), and getting to have my first kiss. Also the music! Boy do I miss it.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/03/14 at 2:09 am

One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, but is something that everyone would immediately notice if they were sent back 10 years in time, is that in 2004 you could still smoke indoors in public places (with the exception of California).

If I woke up and it was 2004 again then, well, I'd certainly do a lot of things, but I'd definitely go into a bar, order a drink, put my feet up and light up a big, fat cigar. 8)

Written By: Sita0 on 06/03/14 at 5:13 pm

I think there would be a difference. Not just "hey, the calendar says this date instead of a different one!" but:

No smartphones, less broadband (many people, including me, having dial-up internet), TV and radio still being the main source of information for many people, No real "social media" in the current sense of the word, different music styles, different clothes, the start of the War in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/03/14 at 7:19 pm

I think there would be a difference. Not just "hey, the calendar says this date instead of a different one!" but:

No smartphones, less broadband (many people, including me, having dial-up internet), TV and radio still being the main source of information for many people, No real "social media" in the current sense of the word, different music styles, different clothes, the start of the War in Iraq and Afghanistan.

In my street, broadband was not yet available in June 2004. I didn't even know the term social media in that year... I only used ICQ and E-Mail.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/03/14 at 11:57 pm

In my street, broadband was not yet available in June 2004. I didn't even know the term social media in that year... I only used ICQ and E-Mail.

High speed was available back then, but never terribly affordable. Nowadays they bundle it with other services. I don't know if that's better, but it's an option.

I used to have AIM, YIM, and MSN. Now just Skype and I'm never on. I lost the password, I should make a new name. What is this ICQ I hear about?

Written By: XYkid on 06/04/14 at 12:00 am

High speed was available back then, but never terribly affordable. Nowadays they bundle it with other services. I don't know if that's better, but it's an option.

I used to have AIM, YIM, and MSN. Now just Skype and I'm never on. I lost the password, I should make a new name. What is this ICQ I hear about?
We always had the fastest possible internet in my house because my dad's work required him to have fast internet. Back in 1997, we were actually able to get high speed dialup.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/14 at 12:05 am

Justin Bieber wasn't famous yet.

Written By: gibbo on 06/04/14 at 12:32 am

Aahhh ... the good old days!  :)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/04/14 at 1:16 am

Yes, it was available in Germany where I live. I think I first used it in a bigger city in 2001. But in the country, it took much longer... October 2004, and that was only a very slow type of broadband. Nowadays I can get a speed of about 13 MBit/s.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/04/14 at 1:24 am

Back in 2004 the popular site everyone went on was funnyjunk.com  ;D

Written By: XYkid on 06/04/14 at 1:26 am

I remember that site. I also remember Albino Black Sheep.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/04/14 at 1:28 am

I think I've been there. I used to frequent FlowGo and sometimes RatedToons.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/04/14 at 1:33 am

Aahhh ... the good old days!  :)

I remember the dreaded Facebook being born out of its mother's womb.  :-\\

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/04/14 at 3:44 am

I remember the dreaded Facebook being born out of its mother's womb.  :-\\

I hope one day something more privacy oriented will replace it.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/14 at 6:31 am

I think we were still chatting from chat rooms.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/04/14 at 6:32 am

It was peaceful till 2009!

Written By: Howard on 06/04/14 at 6:33 am

It's pronounced I Seek You but they shortened it to ICQ, it was another form of communication like what Skype is now.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/14 at 6:33 am

and that was a good thing.

Written By: Howard on 06/04/14 at 6:35 am

It was peaceful till 2009!

till he came along! ::)

Written By: B306 on 06/11/14 at 8:10 am

Yes and no.

Technology wise, the differences would be very noticeable. Nokias and fliphones instead of smartphones, a less developed internet, no YouTube, fewer large-screen TVs. That would be the easiest way to tell what time I was in.

If I turned on the radio, I would be able to work out from the lack of EDM, the remnants of pop-punk and the older style R&B that it was the earlier part of the 00s. However, there isn't a particularly defining sound that would make you realise that it is 2004.

Fashion wise, the amount of baggy clothing would be a good clue. But there are plenty of people who dress the same now as they did in 2004.

The contents of the news would be very noticeably different.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/17/15 at 4:13 pm

Haha I would notice the different as fast as my heart would skip a beat. I would instantly catch on to the feel. Cartoon Network would still be in its prime, which would be shocking/unbelievable. Hip Hop would still be tolerable and I would be thinking about how even distant and futuristic 2007 seem from that time. People that don't see the distinctiveness from now and 2004 is ridiculous to me.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/17/15 at 5:01 pm

Most people would panic about the lack of YouTube and social media sans MySpace, but frankly my life would hardly be affected at all.  I mostly do stuff on the Internet, which was well-established by 2004, not to mention things like iTunes, plus most of my favorite video games, already existed. 

Written By: Slim95 on 06/17/15 at 5:41 pm

Not as different than if you were sent back to the 80s but it would still feel radically different.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/17/15 at 11:24 pm

Haha I would notice the different as fast as my heart would skip a beat. I would instantly catch on to the feel. Cartoon Network would still be in its prime, which would be shocking/unbelievable. Hip Hop would still be tolerable and I would be thinking about how even distant and futuristic 2007 seem from that time. People that don't see the distinctiveness from now and 2004 is ridiculous to me.

Cartoon network still in it's prime??? ???  2003 was the last year it was still in it's prime for me! Before the CN city era began and they changed the logo!

Written By: #Infinity on 06/18/15 at 3:51 am

Cartoon network still in it's prime??? ???  2003 was the last year it was still in it's prime for me! Before the CN city era began and they changed the logo!

Cartoon Network was still pretty good for most of 2004, but it jumped the shark in my eyes around the end of the year, when classic shows like The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Johnny Bravo were being taken off the air to make room for a bunch of mediocre new ones, like Atomic Betty and Camp Lazlo.  The continued presence of Codename:  Kids Next Door and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy was not enough to save the channel from its suddenly worsened lineup of programs.  I distinctly remember I stopped tuning in by the beginning of 2005.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/18/15 at 8:14 am

Cartoon Network was still pretty good for most of 2004, but it jumped the shark in my eyes around the end of the year, when classic shows like The Powerpuff Girls, Samurai Jack, Courage the Cowardly Dog, and Johnny Bravo were being taken off the air to make room for a bunch of mediocre new ones, like Atomic Betty and Camp Lazlo.  The continued presence of Codename:  Kids Next Door and The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy was not enough to save the channel from its suddenly worsened lineup of programs.  I distinctly remember I stopped tuning in by the beginning of 2005.

Don't forget that in 2004, Toonami was also taken to the Saturday night time-slots rather than weekdays in place for Miguzi, which a lot of people considered as a kiddy friendly watered down version of Toonami, but at least Miguzi had some great action shows so I still liked it anyway. Classics like LOONEY TUNES and many others were taken off the air, which really sucked, in place for more reruns of that Baby Looney Tunes crap. I honestly don't know why Cartoon Network had to change all at once in 2004 in the middle of my childhood  >:( and you're right. Around 2005 you started noticing less of the Cartoon Cartoons and a lot of newer shows started premiering that year that weren't good, however you DID still have some Cartoon Cartoon reruns from time to time on certain occasions.

I'll admit though the Cartoon Network Summer 2005 event was really great and I believe Summer 2005 was the last high point of Cartoon Network, plus don't forget that Teen Titans, Justice League Unlimited, What's New Scooby-Doo, and Duck Dodgers still had tons of episodes at the time as well. Ed, Edd n Eddy was still around too, and I liked Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends. However, after Summer 2005 ended, I believe that was the official turning point in Cartoon Network's history, then by 2006 Cartoon Cartoon reruns were GONE permanently and it started to get worse with greenlit shows like My Gym Partner's A Monkey, Squirrel Boy, Cramp Twins, etc. Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited got cancelled, then it was just meeehhh barely anything on the network anymore. 2006 is when I believe Cartoon Network started to get worse imo. While Spring/Summer 2005 was the last good period, no where near as good as 2000-early 2004 however, it was still watchable at the time.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/18/15 at 8:20 am

Or another way you could say it is late 2003-early 2004, basically our 2nd grade year was the last season it was in its prime before the logo changed that following Summer. It wasn't until June 2004 when that bittersweet day happened so January-May 2004 they still used the original logo.

Written By: Howard on 06/18/15 at 2:33 pm

Most people would panic about the lack of YouTube and social media sans MySpace, but frankly my life would hardly be affected at all.  I mostly do stuff on the Internet, which was well-established by 2004, not to mention things like iTunes, plus most of my favorite video games, already existed.

YouTube didn't exist just yet until a year later.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/18/15 at 2:47 pm

YouTube didn't exist just yet until a year later.
Too true, and how can you panic for something when it has yet to be created?

Written By: Howard on 06/18/15 at 5:50 pm

Didn't they change to something else?

Written By: Howard on 06/18/15 at 5:51 pm

and when YouTube started, everyone was happy.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/18/15 at 6:38 pm

Or another way you could say it is late 2003-early 2004, basically our 2nd grade year was the last season it was in its prime before the logo changed that following Summer. It wasn't until June 2004 when that bittersweet day happened so January-May 2004 they still used the original logo.

Yep 2nd grade was when the culture shifted from early 00s culture to mid 00s culture; the last year CN was still in it's prime, last year toon disney was still the REAL toon disney, last year Jerry Orbach was on Law and Order, The Practice, last great season of West Wing,Rugrats,Hey Arnold, Friaser and Friends ended and also it was the last year I still considered to Nick to be in the same class!

Then; 3rd grade came I was starting to be seen as a big kid literally and age wise (I got kinda chubby when I turned 9)! Jetix debuted on toon Disney, Teen Nick came out; I thought nickelodeon was starting to go downhill that season, Cartoon network's city era began! The Iraq war was in full swing; The Incredibles,Collateral, Aviator, Million dollar baby  Mean Girls and Napoleon Dynamite being released! As you can see my tastes were beginning to change as well! I watched more mature programming on tv networks, even more news etc.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/18/15 at 9:00 pm

Yep 2nd grade was when the culture shifted from early 00s culture to mid 00s culture; the last year CN was still in it's prime, last year toon disney was still the REAL toon disney, last year Jerry Orbach was on Law and Order, The Practice, last great season of West Wing,Rugrats,Hey Arnold, Friaser and Friends ended and also it was the last year I still considered to Nick to be in the same class!

Then; 3rd grade came I was starting to be seen as a big kid literally and age wise (I got kinda chubby when I turned 9)! Jetix debuted on toon Disney, Teen Nick came out; I thought nickelodeon was starting to go downhill that season, Cartoon network's city era began! The Iraq war was in full swing; The Incredibles,Collateral, Aviator, Million dollar baby  Mean Girls and Napoleon Dynamite being released! As you can see my tastes were beginning to change as well! I watched more mature programming on tv networks, even more news etc.

Yep, I always say that 1997-early 2001 was still mostly 90's culture with the earliest signs of 00's culture phasing in. Late 2001-2003 was when there was mostly 00's culture but you still had some 90's pop cultural fad's leftover. There's a reason why people say "late 90's and early 2000's", because we're always talking about 1997-1999 & 2000-2003. By the time 2004 came, there was pretty much was no sign of any 90's pop culture left and it was the start of the core 2000's. There's a lot more to it. This is not just from me, but from what other folks have said as well and I've noticed this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_access
"In 2000, most Internet access to homes was provided using dial-up, while many businesses and schools were using broadband connections. In 2000 there were just under 150 million dial-up subscriptions in the 34 OECD countries and fewer than 20 million broadband subscriptions. By 2004, broadband had grown and dial-up had declined so that the number of subscriptions were roughly equal at 130 million each."
As you can see, by 2004, broadband sales had became predominantly popular and dial up declined in most people's households.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myspace "July 2003"
https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Facebook "February 4, 2004"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube "February 14, 2005"
Throughout 2003-2005, one by one, 3 years in a row, we had the debuts of Myspace, Facebook, and Youtube. Which was right in between 2004. Which was the start of social media getting real popular.

Friends and Frasier ended in 2004, including Angel as well. Even kid channels like Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Toon Disney, and Disney Channel went through HUGE LOADS of changes throughout 2004 which marked the end of an era and the beginning of the new generation of each of these channels. Logos changing. Shows getting removed and replaced. Including many Nicktoons like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Rocket Power, etc. & Cartoon Cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, etc. from the 90's that all got cancelled or ended around same year. Lizzie McGuire/Even Stevens era comes to an end. Snick block ended in 2004 and got replaced by Teen Nick. Heck even Toonami was taken to the Saturday night time-slot in 2004 instead of the weekday afternoons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod
"Though the iPod was released in 2001, its price and Mac-only compatibility caused sales to be relatively slow until 2004. The iPod line came from Apple's "digital hub" category, when the company began creating software for the growing market of personal digital devices."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_animation
The last major feature film to use traditional ink and paint was Studio Ghibli's Princess Mononoke (1997); the last major animation production to use the traditional process is Cartoon Network's Ed, Edd n Eddy (1999–2009), although it was forced to switch to digital paint in 2004. Minor productions such as Hair High (2004) by Bill Plympton have used traditional cels long after the introduction of digital techniques. As the cost of both inking and painting new cels for animated films and TV programs and the repeated usage of older cels for newer animated TV programs and films went up and the cost of doing the same thing digitally went down, eventually, the digital ink-and-paint process became the standard for future animated movies and TV programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS
"The Nintendo DS (ニンテンドーDS Nintendō DS?) is a dual-screen handheld game console developed and released by Nintendo. The device went on sale in North America on November 21, 2004."
Although the Gameboy Advance SP had just came out a year in a half ago at this time and was still relevant, the release of the Nintendo DS in 2004 marked the end of the Gameboy era for Nintendo and the official start of the DS era.

Now when it comes to VHS to DVD's, that transition really happened throughout the early 2000's, and I believe 2002 was the first year DVD's sales started getting more popular than VHS's, or was it 2003? Then you have the cultural shift in music, well, a lot of people I've noticed tend to say that 2003 was around the time emo music, crunk rap, and R&B got real big. Oh and actually, the Iraq War started in 2003 as well.

So all of these things led up to the official death of 90's pop culture in 2004 and the beginning of the core 2000's, although I know there's a lot more to it, but this is all I got so far.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/18/15 at 10:21 pm

Yep, I always say that 1997-early 2001 was still mostly 90's culture with the earliest signs of 00's culture phasing in. Late 2001-2003 was when there was mostly 00's culture but you still had some 90's pop cultural fad's leftover. There's a reason why people say "late 90's and early 2000's", because we're always talking about 1997-1999 & 2000-2003. By the time 2004 came, there was pretty much was no sign of any 90's pop culture left and it was the start of the core 2000's. There's a lot more to it. This is not just from me, but from what other folks have said as well and I've noticed this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_access
"In 2000, most Internet access to homes was provided using dial-up, while many businesses and schools were using broadband connections. In 2000 there were just under 150 million dial-up subscriptions in the 34 OECD countries and fewer than 20 million broadband subscriptions. By 2004, broadband had grown and dial-up had declined so that the number of subscriptions were roughly equal at 130 million each."
As you can see, by 2004, broadband sales had became predominantly popular and dial up declined in most people's households.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myspace "July 2003"
https://en.wikipedia.org/?title=Facebook "February 4, 2004"
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/YouTube "February 14, 2005"
Throughout 2003-2005, one by one, 3 years in a row, we had the debuts of Myspace, Facebook, and Youtube. Which was right in between 2004. Which was the start of social media getting real popular.

Friends and Frasier ended in 2004, including Angel as well. Even kid channels like Cartoon Network, Nickelodeon, Toon Disney, and Disney Channel went through HUGE LOADS of changes throughout 2004 which marked the end of an era and the beginning of the new generation of each of these channels. Logos changing. Shows getting removed and replaced. Including many Nicktoons like Rugrats, Hey Arnold, Rocket Power, etc. & Cartoon Cartoons like Dexter's Lab, Johnny Bravo, Powerpuff Girls, etc. from the 90's that all got cancelled or ended around same year. Lizzie McGuire/Even Stevens era comes to an end. Snick block ended in 2004 and got replaced by Teen Nick. Heck even Toonami was taken to the Saturday night time-slot in 2004 instead of the weekday afternoons.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod
"Though the iPod was released in 2001, its price and Mac-only compatibility caused sales to be relatively slow until 2004. The iPod line came from Apple's "digital hub" category, when the company began creating software for the growing market of personal digital devices."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traditional_animation
The last major feature film to use traditional ink and paint was Studio Ghibli's Princess Mononoke (1997); the last major animation production to use the traditional process is Cartoon Network's Ed, Edd n Eddy (1999–2009), although it was forced to switch to digital paint in 2004. Minor productions such as Hair High (2004) by Bill Plympton have used traditional cels long after the introduction of digital techniques. As the cost of both inking and painting new cels for animated films and TV programs and the repeated usage of older cels for newer animated TV programs and films went up and the cost of doing the same thing digitally went down, eventually, the digital ink-and-paint process became the standard for future animated movies and TV programs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_DS
"The Nintendo DS (ニンテンドーDS Nintendō DS?) is a dual-screen handheld game console developed and released by Nintendo. The device went on sale in North America on November 21, 2004."
Although the Gameboy Advance SP had just came out a year in a half ago at this time and was still relevant, the release of the Nintendo DS in 2004 marked the end of the Gameboy era for Nintendo and the official start of the DS era.

Now when it comes to VHS to DVD's, that transition really happened throughout the early 2000's, and I believe 2002 was the first year DVD's sales started getting more popular than VHS's, or was it 2003? Then you have the cultural shift in music, well, a lot of people I've noticed tend to say that 2003 was around the time emo music, crunk rap, and R&B got real big. Oh and actually, the Iraq War started in 2003 as well.

So all of these things led up to the official death of 90's pop culture in 2004 and the beginning of the core 2000's, although I know there's a lot more to it, but this is all I got so far.

Yes late 1997- summer 2001 was the Y2k Millenuim period!! And don't forget that Home on the range which was released in 3rd grade was the last Disney film until Princess and the Frog using traditional animation! Toonami moving to Saturdays in 3rd grade SUCKED!!!!! 2006 was when cartoon network just died for me!! 2005 was the last great year for it! 2004 was nicks last GOOD year, 2005 was also the last good year for Disney channel too! These are the reasons the mid 00s were great for me lifestyle wise instead of culturally! nick was decent in the mid 00s, jetix was kinda cool  cartoon network and Disney channel were still pretty damn good in the mid 00s until 06 hit, Saturday morning cartoons were practically dead; with the exception of kids WB!! 4kidsTV SUCKED IMO!!

Written By: #Infinity on 06/18/15 at 11:18 pm

I was referring to how most people from 2015 would react if they were sent back from 2004, not those already living in 2004.

Written By: the2001 on 09/01/15 at 3:57 pm

I was referring to how most people from 2015 would react if they were sent back from 2004, not those already living in 2004.

it would be like going back to the 70s lmao

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/08/15 at 8:23 pm

Yeah, it would be really different than 2015. Especially when I was just in pre-K in early-mid 2004 (remember, I live in NYC and they have the December 31 cutoff system), it was just sunshine and rainbows with watching Nick Jr, PBS Kids and Playhouse Disney a lot at the time.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/29/15 at 9:00 pm

Here's the things I would notice:

-Noughties Fashion; Flared Jeans for girls, Baggy Jeans for guys, Cargo pants, Big Name Brands, Colorful/Neon Colors, More diverse fashion styles from Urban to Preppy (unlike today where everybody is conforming to the hipster look)

-Technology; DVDs being the 'it' movie platform with VHS on its last legs, computer monitors generally being bulky white CRTs, TVs still CRT Based, Flip Phones entering their peak in popularity, half of the U.S population having Dial Up or Broadband internet, CDs still being common, the TV still being the main and for the most part the only source for news outside of radio

-Lifestyle; Generally a much more conservative political climate, less politically correct, Bush backlash starting to rise with the WMD lies, stores like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Circuit City, & KB Toys to name a few would still be in business, most people will have cell phones like today but they would only be used for calling and or texting so in other words less people constantly staring at their phones all day, also kids would most likely not have cell phones and would rather opt to playing outside or watching t.v.

These are just a few striking examples I would notice

Written By: KatanaChick on 11/30/15 at 7:42 am

-Noughties Fashion; Flared Jeans for girls, Baggy Jeans for guys, Cargo pants, Big Name Brands, Colorful/Neon Colors, More diverse fashion styles from Urban to Preppy (unlike today where everybody is conforming to the hipster look)

-Technology; DVDs being the 'it' movie platform with VHS on its last legs, computer monitors generally being bulky white CRTs, TVs still CRT Based, Flip Phones entering their peak in popularity, half of the U.S population having Dial Up or Broadband internet, CDs still being common, the TV still being the main and for the most part the only source for news outside of radio

-Lifestyle; Generally a much more conservative political climate, less politically correct, Bush backlash starting to rise with the WMD lies, stores like Blockbuster, Hollywood Video, Circuit City, & KB Toys to name a few would still be in business, most people will have cell phones like today but they would only be used for calling and or texting so in other words less people constantly staring at their phones all day, also kids would most likely not have cell phones and would rather opt to playing outside or watching t.v.

These are just a few striking examples I would notice

That sums it up! I do like how the name brand importance has become a thing of the past. At some schools you were judged waaaay too harshly for what you had. I wouldn't say everyone today is hipster. I see alot of accessorizing and a less casual feel while out and about. Hipster's are mismatched to not follow trends, and most younger people I see are dressed in outfits that go together.

I miss the CD and DVD abundance from the 2000's. Even Best Buy's movies available in store seem to be of less variety to pick from.

This decade feels like backlash against last decade's climate. Just taken too far. If you remotely disagree with something everyone jumps on you. People's social media posts have made news just because they said something un-PC and it feels like you're bullied into not having opinions of your own.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/30/15 at 9:37 am

This decade feels like backlash against last decade's climate. Just taken too far. If you remotely disagree with something everyone jumps on you. People's social media posts have made news just because they said something un-PC and it feels like you're bullied into not having opinions of your own.

Or if your family is on the other side...and you say something even sympathetic to a liberal cause such as marriage equality, Caitlyn Jenner, or Cecil the Lion, they will immediately jump on you with nasty insults.  I have to be very careful today about what I post on Facebook or what articles I like.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/30/15 at 10:16 am

That sums it up! I do like how the name brand importance has become a thing of the past. At some schools you were judged waaaay too harshly for what you had. I wouldn't say everyone today is hipster. I see alot of accessorizing and a less casual feel while out and about. Hipster's are mismatched to not follow trends, and most younger people I see are dressed in outfits that go together.

I miss the CD and DVD abundance from the 2000's. Even Best Buy's movies available in store seem to be of less variety to pick from.

Yeah being in middle school in the 2000's, and heck even in high school in the early 2010's, name brands were everything. If you didn't wear Abercrombie, Hollister, Aeropostale, or American Eagle you were seen as 'uncool'. I noticed this started to change when I was a Junior, when everybody started to wear whatever they saw fit

Or if your family is on the other side...and you say something even sympathetic to a liberal cause such as marriage equality, Caitlyn Jenner, or Cecil the Lion, they will immediately jump on you with nasty insults.  I have to be very careful today about what I post on Facebook or what articles I like.

Yeah the striking differences between party lines have become so gruesome in this decade to the point that you get polarized for having a slightly different opinion, regardless of ideology.

It makes the 2000's seem much more liberating than today

Written By: mqg96 on 11/30/15 at 11:12 am

Yeah being in middle school in the 2000's, and heck even in high school in the early 2010's, name brands were everything. If you didn't wear Abercrombie, Hollister, Aeropostale, or American Eagle you were seen as 'uncool'. I noticed this started to change when I was a Junior, when everybody started to wear whatever they saw fit

Rocawear, Polo Ralph Lauren, Adidas, Levi's, and Nike too!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/30/15 at 3:55 pm

This.

Written By: Zelek2 on 11/30/15 at 7:11 pm

I miss 2000-2005.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/01/15 at 12:43 am

If I was sent back to 2004 I could tell in an instant. Older cars on the road, technology was almost done transitioning from the late 90's/early 00's to the mid 00's, you'd see more "Emo" kids on the streets with iPods and if anyone was blasting music like 2004-era My Chemical Romance or Green Day I'd totally be able to tell. You'd still see more CRT TV's than flat's in the store and for computers: Sometimes you'd see the big bulky white (or grey and black) ones but this is the year that the slimmer models and flat panels monitors really took off. Fashion wise would be the same as technology. I'd still see the whole loose t-shirt, backwards baseball cap, spiky hair, baggy dickies and 3/4 shorts but around this time style would be moving into more of the plain territory and there would be a lot more emphasis on fitted clothing as opposed to bright, loose and baggy like 2000-2002 had. I wouldn't see anymore Nu Metal kids with long dreads anymore in 2004, that's for sure.

I miss 2000-2005.

I miss 2000-2002 (and most stuff from 2003). The late 90's and early 2000's kicked ass.

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/01/15 at 4:24 am

Facebook has become a real breeding ground for real life problems between friends and family, or at work. People can't handle anything now and blow it so out of proportion they're willing to lose people IRL. Most people I know for real aren't to extremes in their views, but better safe than sorry.

Written By: Zelek2 on 12/01/15 at 4:49 am

I despise Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Thought Catalog, Buzzfeed, etc. I really wish they would vanish off the face of the Earth.

Written By: sonic2005 on 12/01/15 at 6:20 am

I miss 2000-2005.

we all do

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/01/15 at 7:25 am

2004 and 2005 were the height of "The War on Christmas", where there was a much stronger paranoia over mentioning Christmas as opposed to today, where while occasional mumblings still surface but isn't quite as controversial. Plus, '90s cars of course (especially American) were still common on the road such as the 1993-97 Dodge Intrepid, 1991-2000 Ford Escort, 1990-95 Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Acclaim and 1995-2000 Chrysler Cirrus/Dodge Stratus and of course the 1995-1999 Dodge Neon. The last Oldsmobile was produced in 2004, and most cars didn't have onboard navigation systems (GPS systems that you install on the car itself were popular though). Also, the only digital billboards alongside roads/highways were still in Times Square and Vegas at the time, like I said earlier very few food trucks (mostly for ice cream and at a few tourist hotspots), and there weren't as many homes with security systems. Most TV cartoons were 2D (although no longer in cel animation like the 20th century cartoons were), HDTV was reserved mostly for primetime and special events much like how color TV was limited in 1964, text messaging was just starting to become widely known and wasn't yet universal, and VoIP was a huge trend. I would view it as modern compared to the pre-Internet/2D video game/landline phone early '90s, but less stressful and more laid back compared to "The Future" (today).

Written By: SpyroKev on 12/01/15 at 9:14 am

2004 and 2005 were the height of "The War on Christmas", where there was a much stronger paranoia over mentioning Christmas as opposed to today, where while occasional mumblings still surface but isn't quite as controversial. Plus, '90s cars of course (especially American) were still common on the road such as the 1993-97 Dodge Intrepid, 1991-2000 Ford Escort, 1990-95 Dodge Shadow/Plymouth Acclaim and 1995-2000 Chrysler Cirrus/Dodge Stratus and of course the 1995-1999 Dodge Neon. The last Oldsmobile was produced in 2004, and most cars didn't have onboard navigation systems (GPS systems that you install on the car itself were popular though). Also, the only digital billboards alongside roads/highways were still in Times Square and Vegas at the time, like I said earlier very few food trucks (mostly for ice cream and at a few tourist hotspots), and there weren't as many homes with security systems. Most TV cartoons were 2D (although no longer in cel animation like the 20th century cartoons were), HDTV was reserved mostly for primetime and special events much like how color TV was limited in 1964, text messaging was just starting to become widely known and wasn't yet universal, and VoIP was a huge trend. I would view it as modern compared to the pre-Internet/2D video game/landline phone early '90s, but less stressful and more laid back compared to "The Future" (today).

I really miss the Escalade. They were the signature vehicle of the Earlier 2000s.

Written By: Howard on 12/01/15 at 2:38 pm

I despise Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, Thought Catalog, Buzzfeed, etc. I really wish they would vanish off the face of the Earth.

Why? What's wrong with them? ???

Written By: 2001 on 12/07/15 at 12:56 pm

Yes. Being gay, I remember when homophobia was rampant and calling things "gay" and dropping the 'cigarette' word went by without a blink. I also had this TV with a VCR player attached to it. That alone would be a huge give away LOL

http://support.toshiba.com/images/support/frontend/family/fam_tv_vcr.png

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/23/16 at 7:35 pm

All of those except the first one are still relevant today. As a matter of fact, I don't remember Rocawear ever being cool in the 2010's, and it seems those other four brands have been making huge comebacks. I see people wearing them a lot more now than they did in the early 2010's. That time period was all about Vans, Urban Outfitters, denizen, Aeropostale, Puma, Forever 21, H&M (both of which are still popular today), Pac Sun, Hot Topic, and American Eagle Outfitters. I didn't do too many of these.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/23/16 at 7:45 pm

All of those except the first one are still relevant today. As a matter of fact, I don't remember Rocawear ever being cool in the 2010's, and it seems those other four brands have been making huge comebacks. I see people wearing them a lot more now than they did in the early 2010's. That time period was all about Vans, Urban Outfitters, denizen, Aeropostale, Puma, Forever 21, H&M (both of which are still popular today), Pac Sun, Hot Topic, and American Eagle Outfitters. I didn't do too many of these.

I live in Georgia, and I remember Polo Ralph Lauren shirts, hats, pants, and shoes being huge from 7th grade to sophomore year of high school.

Written By: Toon on 02/23/16 at 8:26 pm

If I was sent back to 2004 I'd certainly notice a difference in culture. Not one using iphones or ipads. Lack of big 10's things like hipsters or SJWs. Not everyone is using something like Facebook or Twitter. Electropop music wouldn't be the big thing. Lack of Justine Beiber or One Direction (although apparently they're on hiatus this year). Gaming was still in the 6th console gen. So instead of XB1s or PS4s I'd be seeing PS2s or Original XBs. Mobile gaming wouldn't have been as popular either as most kids would still just have a Gameboy Advance. Dial up still slightly more common used than Broadband(at least in my area at the time). Everyone using Windows XP instead of 8 or 10. People carrying Flipphones. There would be different TV shows like Drake and Josh Danny Phantom at the time while today we'd see shows like Adventure Time or Austin & Ally .

This is all just from the top of my head.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/23/16 at 8:33 pm

If I was sent back to 2004 I'd certainly notice a difference in culture. Not one using iphones or ipads. Lack of big 10's things like hipsters or SJWs. Not everyone is using something like Facebook or Twitter. Electropop music wouldn't be the big thing. Lack of Justine Beiber or One Direction (although apparently they're on hiatus this year). Gaming was still in the 6th console gen. So instead of XB1s or PS4s I'd be seeing PS2s or Original XBs. Mobile gaming wouldn't have been as popular either as most kids would still just have a Gameboy Advance. Dial up still slightly more common used than Broadband(at least in my area at the time). Everyone using Windows XP instead of 8 or 10. People carrying Flipphones. There would be different TV shows like Drake and Josh Danny Phantom at the time while today we'd see shows like Adventure Time or Austin & Ally .

This is all just from the top of my head.

Damn, those were the good ol' days back then (to me).

Written By: Toon on 02/23/16 at 8:37 pm

Damn, those were the good ol' days back then (to me).

Nice times to me as well.

Written By: 2001 on 02/24/16 at 9:10 am

all over the place

wearing this

This post is so on point. I didn't see much skinny jeans or emo hair in the 2000s, 50% of the white guys where I lived dressed like this from 2004-2007, and I even saw it as late as 2009. Hip hop was a way more dominant genre than rock or metal.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 02/28/16 at 5:49 pm

I'm thinking about the 110 pounds that would suddenly appear on my ass. Jesus Christ.  :o

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/28/16 at 9:03 pm

I'm thinking about the 110 pounds that would suddenly appear on my ass. Jesus Christ.  :o

Must have been a major shock for you! ;) ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/29/16 at 3:16 pm

You were skinnier back then?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/29/16 at 3:23 pm

No. If you were sent back it would feel exactly the same as there have not been any cultural changes since 2004. We have been living in a perpetual 2004 since 2003.

Written By: Toon on 02/29/16 at 5:31 pm

No. If you were sent back it would feel exactly the same as there have not been any cultural changes since 2004. We have been living in a perpetual 2004 since 2003.

2014 felt like 2004. 2024 will feels like 2004. 2104 feels like 2004. The end of time feels like 2004.

But 2004 felt like 1904  8)

Written By: 2001 on 02/29/16 at 5:44 pm

2014 felt like 2004. 2024 will feels like 2004. 2104 feels like 2004. The end of time feels like 2004.

1998-2003 felt like the first half of 2004, and 2004 itself was the second half of 2004. All those years were about introducing 2004 culture.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/29/16 at 5:45 pm

No, 1904 felt like 1899! The real changes took place sometime between 1906 and 1908.

Everything else will continue to feel like 2004, though.

1998-2003 felt like the first half of 2004, and 2004 itself was the second half of 2004. All those years were about introducing 2004 culture.

No, the final half of 2003 felt more like 2004. The first half of 2004 already had faux-Emo and Mean Girls!! >:(

Written By: 2001 on 02/29/16 at 5:53 pm

1998-2003 are like the January to June, while 2004 is like July to December of the same year is what I'm saying. We were closer to 2004 in 1998.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/29/16 at 5:57 pm

1998-2003 are like the January to June, while 2004 is like July to December of the same year is what I'm saying. We were closer to 2004 in 1998.

No, you're wrong! blink-182's untitled already came out in late '03 and had taken the world by storm in all of '04. That would never fly in 1998-2002. In 2003, we were already getting closer to the spirit of 2004 while moving away from the spirit of 1998!

Written By: 2001 on 02/29/16 at 6:05 pm

But the singles from the album came out 2004. All things 1998-2003 are contained in 2004, just like all things 1978-1989 are contained in the Spirit of 1990.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/29/16 at 6:08 pm

But the singles from the album came out 2004. All things 1998-2003 are contained in 2004, just like all things 1978-1989 are contained in the Spirit of 1990.

Not all of them. Feeling This came out in 2003. The album was meant for 2004, though. Everything else from 1998-2002 was meant for it's respective time period whereas 2003 was just about getting us to 2004.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/07/17 at 1:52 pm

I just remembered and forgot to post this until now.

Actually, I remember thinking about 2007 in summer 2004 as I was watching either Cartoon Network or BET and was blown away from how far it felt.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/08/17 at 12:04 am

From the perspective of 2017, I think 2004 would feel very noticeably different if I were to get sent back.

Written By: Howard on 06/08/17 at 7:06 am

From the perspective of 2017, I think 2004 would feel very noticeably different if I were to get sent back.

same here, it was 13 years ago.

Check for new replies or respond here...