inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else confident that there will never be 00s nostalgia?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/05/14 at 10:19 pm

It will be the decade everyone will look back at and laugh at

Subject: Re: Anyone else confident that there will never be 00s nostalgia?

Written By: XYkid on 03/05/14 at 10:40 pm

People probably said that about the 70s, 80s, and 90s too, but yet there's plenty of nostalgia for those times.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/06/14 at 3:34 am

I think there is a lot of potential to laugh
especially about the early 00s already.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/06/14 at 7:08 am

The "00s" doesn't have as much of a ring as do "seventies", "eighties", and "nineties" do. TV Tropes refers to the decade as "Turn of the Millenium" and the current decade as "The New Tens". The former may have some nostalgia, especially among Millenials (Generation Y) who may refer to it as the "Millenial era", "Millenium era", "New Millenium era", or simply as a repeat of the previous century, "Turn of the Century". The "aughts", "naughties" (Britiain), "zeroes", and "O's" will likely have a bit of definition, but the thing is that this era will be referred to as many more terms than the previous number decaedes beforehand. Anybody Gen X or older will probably not get nostalgic for it, since it feels "after their time" to them, plus the fact that it was by far the lousiest decade in their lifetimes that they've lived through. But there certainly is a zeitelgeist of this era being a "reality check" after the halycon days of the 1990s when the Cold War was over, the world was globalizing via technology, and the economy just never seem to care. Of course if the economy in the '10s and beyond improves, tech continues to prove making the '00s more and more dated and the world doesn't get to violent, the '00s may be viewed nostalgically as a time that felt grittier and tougher than the present based upon the world problems. Give it about six-eight years when the early 2000s will be 20 years ago, and the nostalgia whether you like it or not will form. I view the 2000s today similar to how I viewed the '80s 20 years ago, it was still recent enough to have a contemporary connection on the surface even if there are noticeable differences in culture. But by no means I get that "life was much simpler and orderly" feeling just yet.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 03/06/14 at 9:31 am

I view the 2000s today similar to how I viewed the '80s 20 years ago, it was still recent enough to have a contemporary connection on the surface even if there are noticeable differences in culture.

I absolutely agree with that. When I was getting aware of the "concept of decades" sometimes in the 90s... (1993/4?), the 80s were still recent enough and it was not uncommon to watch shows from that times without thinking of 'datedness'. Even in the late 90s I considered movies from the early 80s to be new (in comparison to old classics from the 30s and 40s). 

Written By: XYkid on 03/06/14 at 4:39 pm

I'm already nostalgic for the early 2000s, probably because it was the core of my childhood years.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 03/06/14 at 4:46 pm

Nope.

Never, never, never.

Because people who are children today will not, 10 years from now, be listening to songs and watching TV shows and movies that trigger fond memories of their early childhood. This only happens with people who were born betwen 1985 and 1995 (I guess that's the correct timeframe for "90's kids"). Certainly I never saw old clips from Sesame Street on YouTube or heard old ELO songs which brought back happy memories of riding my Big Wheel down the sidewalk on nice summer days in the 1970's. Nope, that only happened to "90's kids."  ::)

https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/7708044800/h14A1018F/

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/06/14 at 5:17 pm

There are people already doing that.  People can be nostalgic about things or memories that happened 10 years ago.  The early 00s are not recent anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/14 at 12:51 am

There is nothing funny about the 00s

Written By: af2010 on 03/07/14 at 1:00 am

The "00s" doesn't have as much of a ring as do "seventies", "eighties", and "nineties" do. TV Tropes refers to the decade as "Turn of the Millenium" and the current decade as "The New Tens". The former may have some nostalgia, especially among Millenials (Generation Y) who may refer to it as the "Millenial era", "Millenium era", "New Millenium era", or simply as a repeat of the previous century, "Turn of the Century". The "aughts", "naughties" (Britiain), "zeroes", and "O's" will likely have a bit of definition, but the thing is that this era will be referred to as many more terms than the previous number decaedes beforehand. Anybody Gen X or older will probably not get nostalgic for it, since it feels "after their time" to them, plus the fact that it was by far the lousiest decade in their lifetimes that they've lived through. But there certainly is a zeitelgeist of this era being a "reality check" after the halycon days of the 1990s when the Cold War was over, the world was globalizing via technology, and the economy just never seem to care. Of course if the economy in the '10s and beyond improves, tech continues to prove making the '00s more and more dated and the world doesn't get to violent, the '00s may be viewed nostalgically as a time that felt grittier and tougher than the present based upon the world problems. Give it about six-eight years when the early 2000s will be 20 years ago, and the nostalgia whether you like it or not will form. I view the 2000s today similar to how I viewed the '80s 20 years ago, it was still recent enough to have a contemporary connection on the surface even if there are noticeable differences in culture. But by no means I get that "life was much simpler and orderly" feeling just yet.

Good post.  I think people can be nostalgic for pretty much any time period, it all depends on your personal experiences of that time. I don't know if I would call it 'nostalgia', but I've started to miss some of the music, especially the early 00s.  I'm well aware that it's probably not the greatest music ever made, but that's what was popular when I was coming of age, and I just can't listen to mainstream music today (and I'm sure people 10-15 years older than me said the same thing back then).

Written By: Inertia on 03/07/14 at 9:45 am

::)

Your trolling attempts are not cute.

I'm locking this thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...