inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 00s = Most Teenage focused decade ever?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/13/14 at 9:13 pm

It seemed all the pop culture was geared to teenagers although really anywhere from age 11 to age 22.
It was too "adult" for children and too juvenile for adults.
The 90s in contrast was more for everyone of all ages. There was teen music, adult contemporary music, kid, teen, and adult shows.
There were a lot of shows for the whole family.

Subject: Re: 00s = Most Teenage focused decade ever?

Written By: XYkid on 05/13/14 at 11:51 pm

I kind of had that feeling too. It seemed like the 2000s were heavily focused on preteen and teen culture. This may be due to the high birthrates of the 80s and early 90s, which would mean that most of them would be teens by then. Even more strange, I remember being a kid in the early 2000s and wanting to teen so bad, mostly because of the glamourised teen life that they would show on TV. Little did I know that it would not be as rose-tinted as that.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/14/14 at 12:33 am

I kind of had that feeling too. It seemed like the 2000s were heavily focused on preteen and teen culture. This may be due to the high birthrates of the 80s and early 90s, which would mean that most of them would be teens by then. Even more strange, I remember being a kid in the early 2000s and wanting to teen so bad, mostly because of the glamourised teen life that they would show on TV. Little did I know that it would not be as rose-tinted as that.

What impressions did you get from TV about teen life back then? I'm sort of curious because I was a teen in the early - mid 00s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/18/14 at 4:53 am

I was in my teens back then and now that you mention it, the most popular entertainment kind of was! Music especially seemed to be so.

Written By: Visor765 on 05/18/14 at 11:11 pm

I'd say more age 10-26 to be honest, 22 is too young to be considered "old" from a target audience perspective. But yeah, teen culture definitely seemed prominent throughout the decade. I'd say the most important ones were the people born in the mid 80s. They really seemed to experience it all.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 05/18/14 at 11:51 pm

This occurred to me as well...when I was doing my "#2 peaks of 1990" review, there was a Bette Midler song that had reached #2 in the US that year. It just got me thinking how music back then was obviously geared toward a more mature audience, because I just couldn't picture teenagers listening to that song or "Wind Beneath My Wings" en masse.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/19/14 at 8:08 pm

This occurred to me as well...when I was doing my "#2 peaks of 1990" review, there was a Bette Midler song that had reached #2 in the US that year. It just got me thinking how music back then was obviously geared toward a more mature audience, because I just couldn't picture teenagers listening to that song or "Wind Beneath My Wings" en masse.

1990 was a very adult and very juvenile year at the same time. You had Bette Midler, Wilson Phillips, and Michael Bolton.
The very early 90s was very adult contemporary. I remember my mother listening to 1990 and 1991 music more than music from the mid 90s.
I think in the 2000s adult contemporary kind of died with some exceptions such as Michael Buble. In the 80s and 90s it was all over the place, especially the early 90s.
I think 30 somethings were buying up albums more then and were also targeted more.

On the other hand you had New Kids on the Block and Vanilla Ice in the 89-91 transition period.
Both were geared towards preteens basically.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/19/14 at 8:32 pm

I'd say more age 10-26 to be honest, 22 is too young to be considered "old" from a target audience perspective. But yeah, teen culture definitely seemed prominent throughout the decade. I'd say the most important ones were the people born in the mid 80s. They really seemed to experience it all.

2014 must be focused on a very young audience as in teens and below because I know far more of the billboard 1994 songs than the billboard 2014 songs. 2004 I obviously knew very well. I'm not even that old either. My good memory and being exposed to pop culture young explains knowing almost everything in 1994 but it doesn't explain the lack of 2014 knowledge.
I only knew a few songs out of 100.

Written By: QuddusFromMtv2 on 05/19/14 at 9:51 pm

its also because the 90s were laying the groundwork for what the 2000s would be.

But yes the 2000s had a very American Pie vibe to it.
Cell phones, reality tv,  bling culture, emo  clicks
were all things that screamed highschool.

Written By: Visor765 on 05/19/14 at 11:21 pm

its also because the 90s were laying the groundwork for what the 2000s would be.

And college.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/20/14 at 12:36 am

Bling started in the 1960s, emo originated in the mid-1980s, and the 1990s had cell phones and reality too.

BTW, what is clicks?

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/20/14 at 3:17 am

Not many people had cell phones yet when I was that age. Reality TV really took off in that era and hasn't stopped. Not that most of the shows were aimed at a teen audience IMO. Survivor and Big Brother I think had grown audiences more, or at least varied. Real World and the MTV shows were teen fandoms more. That was an older era though. Emo seems to be a thing of the later half of the 2000s. We had skaters and kids who wore black concert t-shirts and baggy pants with straps, but that wasn't Emo. Pop music was very young person aimed though, and the subject matter was a little rauncy and certain things were glamorized.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/20/14 at 6:44 am

I myself was a teen in the first half of the 00s (and late 90s) and never was really fond of the teen pop scene, finding it lame compared to those from what I grew up with as a child (Saved by The Bell/Boy Meets World/Power Rangers-type) along with the classic teen scenes from the '50s-'80s. It was also less targeted at family-friendly audiences, too. One big thing is that if it weren't for the widely available tech by the 00s, the scene would likely have been much more widely accepted if it weren't for the fact that (even for me at the time) knew that the '00s were lame or simply "sucked" and that the classics were superior and more fun.

But the '00s obviously were the decade that the large Millenial generation were teenagers at some point (meaning 1997ers and up I consider Gen Z'ers and never knew a non-connected world). It obviously meant a great opportunity to market numerous items, and some people liked them, though others including me didn't and if I hung out with the hippest hipsters would have been labeled a fogey, similar if I had grew up in the 1960s and didn't listen to rock or R&B music. Gen Xers suddenly found themself clinging for the past, to the fading post-grunge scene, post-punk bands, or what little adult contemporary there was for them such as Coldplay or some of Mariah Carey's softer songs. But the 00s had lots of kid focus too for the younger Y and the older Generation Z kids such as Kidz Bop, Spongebob, iCarly, Jimmy Neutron, Hannah Montana, and some got into Emo even. CGI animation along with anime at its peak of popularity brought something new to 00s kids, thanks to the material being created and produced largely by Gen Xers. To say the least, I'd call the 00s the most juvenille focused decade ever. Like all decades, some stuff will be classics but others will become kitschy.

Written By: Sita0 on 05/20/14 at 10:54 pm

Bling started in the 1960s, emo originated in the mid-1980s, and the 1990s had cell phones and reality too.

BTW, what is clicks?

Cliques.

But anyway, I'd have to agree with OP's point. It seemed that much of the media was kid/teen targeted. I mean, early 2000s me was just a kid, but I thought being a teenager was really cool. And the trends then tended to be teens, mainly (emo) vs. twenties (hipsters)

Written By: Visor765 on 05/20/14 at 11:33 pm

Cliques.

But anyway, I'd have to agree with OP's point. It seemed that much of the media was kid/teen targeted. I mean, early 2000s me was just a kid, but I thought being a teenager was really cool. And the trends then tended to be teens, mainly (emo) vs. twenties (hipsters)

Hipsters aren't 2000s, those are '10s. Everything in reality was more "wankster". and emo. and boho. and skater. The popular styles were more mainstream subcultures stemmed from music that was successful on the charts.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/21/14 at 1:24 am

Hipsters aren't 2000s, those are '10s. Everything in reality was more "wankster". and emo. and boho. and skater. The popular styles were more mainstream subcultures stemmed from music that was successful on the charts.

Hipster was in with select circles in the 00s but it was more underground.
Another subculture was punk in the early 00s and also the mallcore kids. You would see them in any earlier 00s high school.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/131_ways_to_tell_if_you_are_a_mallcore_kid.html

Written By: XYkid on 05/21/14 at 2:17 am

Honestly, the first time I even heard the word hipster was probably around 2008, and I never really heard it being widely used until about 2010. However, from what my research tells me, hipsterism began in the 90s (some say as early as the 80s), but what we consider hipsters today came into full form around 2006.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/14 at 5:34 am

Another subculture was punk in the early 00s and also the mallcore kids. You would see them in any earlier 00s high school.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/junkyard/131_ways_to_tell_if_you_are_a_mallcore_kid.html

When I was young, hipsters were jeans.

Written By: Sita0 on 05/21/14 at 6:07 am

That was my point. Hipsters were a '10s thing for comparison.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/14 at 6:10 am

Is the eight letter beginning with 'w' an actual word?

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/21/14 at 9:48 am

Oh crap, this brings back memories. Not good ones either. I was a semi mallcore kid! While I didn't consider Slipknot and Korn hardcore, I did listen to some of the bands mentioned on the list. I also had some things from Hot Topic, like a white wife beater with a skull on it, and wore a studded cuff band. I did own some pants from Gadzooks, one pair was black and shiny.  ;D A good share of my clothes were from Aeropostale too. Totally different style than the former, and made for an odd mix!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/14 at 9:57 am

Cliques.
Like "in-crowd"?

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/21/14 at 10:02 am

Like "in-crowd"?

They can mean this, but usually mean groups of people who stick together based on their identity. Prep/jock, goth, skater, geek, emo and so forth.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/14 at 10:09 am

They can mean this, but usually mean groups of people who stick together based on their identity. Prep/jock, goth, skater, geek, emo and so forth.
Crowds/groups to keep away from?

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/21/14 at 8:01 pm

Crowds/groups to keep away from?

It depends who they are, but some you would want to keep away from.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 9:33 am

cliques are also a group of people who stick together as a family.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/22/14 at 7:20 pm

I say so as there was lots of music about partying, relationships, drugs and alcohol, uplifting people ranging from hip-hop, dance, rock/alternative, etc. lots of teen movies were released such as Mean Girls, Bring It On, High School Musical, John Tucker Must Die etc. There were a range of cliques I saw. Teen shows like One Tree Hill, 90210, Gossip Girl, Drake and Josh, etc. I saw Less family oriented shows. Teen singers such as Britney Spears, Avril Lavigne, Jojo, Miley Cyrus, Christina Aguilera etc. Last, Most millennials participated in the teen trends as they were teens during this time.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/25/14 at 12:52 am

Honestly, the first time I even heard the word hipster was probably around 2008, and I never really heard it being widely used until about 2010. However, from what my research tells me, hipsterism began in the 90s (some say as early as the 80s), but what we consider hipsters today came into full form around 2006.

Hipster just means a mild form of a hippie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/14 at 2:48 am

http://www.mcentertain.com/images/groovy.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/11/14 at 2:50 pm

What is a serious hippie called?

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/14 at 4:50 pm

Its just a hippie. Hippies are the most serious you  can get.

Written By: Howard on 06/11/14 at 5:05 pm

I've never heard of a serious hippie.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/12/14 at 12:27 am

I've never heard of a serious hippie.

http://www.mcentertain.com/images/groovy.jpg

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/22/16 at 12:24 pm

To me, The Early 2000s is both teen and young adult, early 20s focused. Mid 2000s definitely teenage focused and Late 2000s, back to both.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/22/16 at 1:57 pm

Well, at least the 2000s had a good amount of kids shows for the decade. But as somebody who listens to a lot of 2000s music, it makes me think of those teens who talked with their friends on AIM, along with listening to Eminem or Linkin Park in their bedrooms.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/22/16 at 2:19 pm

LOL, the 2010's have been the COMPLETE opposite! I can't recall any teen culture that's been around for my generation, even throughout my high school years either. If you look at the most popular shows and the culture that's been around for us, it has appealed to teenagers and adults in general, hell, even some middle aged adults find enjoyable too. Throughout this decade I can't recall any shows or movies that's been popular for specifically teens only. The main focus lately has been comic books, dark stories, deep plot type series where next week you're finding out what's going to happen to him/her or who's gonna get killed off the show.

Written By: 2001 on 09/22/16 at 9:09 pm

All those video games where you are a teenage high school boy saving the world. Yes, I remember those.  ;D

Then there was Sixteen and Pregnant  :o

Written By: aja675 on 09/22/16 at 9:27 pm

All those video games where you are a teenage high school boy saving the world. Yes, I remember those.  ;D

Then there was Sixteen and Pregnant  :o

hvj8f4xHRHk

I remember this from six years ago.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/22/16 at 11:47 pm

I'd say the 80's is in second place, after the 00's.

Written By: 2000s Nostalgiaist on 09/24/16 at 4:04 am

What impressions did you get from TV about teen life back then? I'm sort of curious because I was a teen in the early - mid 00s.

I can't speak for him, but I got the impression of lots and lots of sex. Sadly, going to a boys boarding school meant that was not the case :(

Check for new replies or respond here...