inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Weird game shows

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/28/14 at 8:16 am

Anyone remember shows like The Chair or The Chamber? Where contestants are asked questions, and have to keep their heart rate low enough, or are exposed to hot or cold temperatures while asked questions.

I also first saw Wipeout in '09 where contestants have to qualify for each round by getting through obstacles that often knocked them into water.

Which shows do you remember?

Subject: Re: Weird game shows

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/14 at 8:54 am

Touch the Truck was a British Channel 5 endurance gameshow which aired in 2001. It was hosted by Dale Winton and involved a group of 20 contestants holding onto a truck with the last person left touching the truck winning it. Jerry Middleton, 39, from Winchester, Hampshire, was the winner who managed to stay awake touching the vehicle for 81 hours 43 minutes and 31 seconds. He stated that he was going to sell the vehicle to fund a political party. Middleton stood at the 2001 General Election in the Kingston and Surbiton constituency, but gained only 54 votes of a turnout of 49,093.

Rules

According to the rules of the competition, disqualification occurred when:

a contestant overran breaks which were 10 minutes every two hours, and 15 minutes every six hours,
a contestant removed both hands from the truck, or
a contestant fell asleep.

Contestants could also be drug tested to ensure fairness.

http://www.ukgameshows.com/atoz/programmes/t/touch_the_truck/touch_the_truck6.jpg

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/28/14 at 8:58 am

There were different games here like that where you had to touch a vehicle to win it. Not something I'd want to do.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/14 at 2:16 pm

Fear Factor.

Written By: Visor765 on 05/28/14 at 9:43 pm

There was this American game show that was Japanese themed. As in, it took place in Japan, with a Japanese audience, a Japanese host, a Japanese format and some colorful architecture, but with American contestants. The challenges were so weird! I remember that the contestants had to move across an oily floor, a soapy floor, and they had to stand/traverse on what looked like metal hockey pucks that actually moved! I don't remember what year this was, and I don't remember what the show is called, heck even the challenges may be off, but that's what I remember.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/28/14 at 10:02 pm

I loved the Weakest Link and Survivor

Written By: nally on 05/28/14 at 10:20 pm

"Cram" (2003), a GSN original show, in which players are given a load of stuff to study for a full day, without sleeping. The contestants are then transported to the studio (where the actual game is filmed), where they are quizzed on all this info in various ways; a couple of rounds even involved the players performing a stunt of some sort while being asked questions. Each episode would consist of two pairs of contestants (usually a man and a woman) competing against each other.

So to recap... 24 hours before the taping, the contestants would be sequestered in a special room to do all their studying, and then be transported to the studio, and be quizzed on it.

This program was short-lived; it premiered on GSN during the first full week of 2003, and ceased production sometime in the summer of that year.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 4:49 am

"Cram" (2003), a GSN original show, in which players are given a load of stuff to study for a full day, without sleeping. The contestants are then transported to the studio (where the actual game is filmed), where they are quizzed on all this info in various ways; a couple of rounds even involved the players performing a stunt of some sort while being asked questions. Each episode would consist of two pairs of contestants (usually a man and a woman) competing against each other.

So to recap... 24 hours before the taping, the contestants would be sequestered in a special room to do all their studying, and then be transported to the studio, and be quizzed on it.

This program was short-lived; it premiered on GSN during the first full week of 2003, and ceased production sometime in the summer of that year.
In 2004 there was a UK version of The Cram.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/29/14 at 6:50 am

There was this American game show that was Japanese themed. As in, it took place in Japan, with a Japanese audience, a Japanese host, a Japanese format and some colorful architecture, but with American contestants. The challenges were so weird! I remember that the contestants had to move across an oily floor, a soapy floor, and they had to stand/traverse on what looked like metal hockey pucks that actually moved! I don't remember what year this was, and I don't remember what the show is called, heck even the challenges may be off, but that's what I remember.

Banzai!

Fear Factor.
And all those gross foods they had to eat! The worst part!  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 8:12 am

Banzai!

I hated that show. :P

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 8:13 am

Double Dare

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/29/14 at 8:14 am

Double Dare

Double Dare was a 90's show on Nick, and I used to watch it!

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 8:17 am

Takeshi's Castle

Takeshi's Castle was a Japanese game show that aired between 1986 and 1990 on the Tokyo Broadcasting System. It featured the Japanese actor Takeshi Kitano (also known as Beat Takeshi) as a count who owns a castle and sets up difficult challenges for players (or a volunteer army) to get to him. The show has become a cult television hit around the world. A special live "revival" was broadcast on April 2, 2005, for TBS's 50th anniversary celebrations.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/29/14 at 8:20 am

Takeshi's Castle

Takeshi's Castle was a Japanese game show that aired between 1986 and 1990 on the Tokyo Broadcasting System. It featured the Japanese actor Takeshi Kitano (also known as Beat Takeshi) as a count who owns a castle and sets up difficult challenges for players (or a volunteer army) to get to him. The show has become a cult television hit around the world. A special live "revival" was broadcast on April 2, 2005, for TBS's 50th anniversary celebrations.

I haven't heard of it, but have you ever seen the Japanese show Ninja Warrior? It's not for everyone, just atheletes really, who have to complete a tough obstacle course in so much time, and there are different rounds to it. At the very end if you make it, you climb a rope and have to beat the time or the rope drops.

Written By: nally on 05/29/14 at 7:18 pm

In 2004 there was a UK version of The Cram.

Sounds like the same format as the American version! (I wonder if UK was inspired by it?)

Written By: Dagwood on 05/29/14 at 9:12 pm

I loved the Weakest Link and Survivor

Loved Weakest Link and I still watch Survivor.

I really liked Fear Factor before it turned into "How many gross things can you eat".  When it started there were real challenges that made you face fears.  Heights, dogs, cars, etc.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/14 at 6:36 am

Double Dare was a 90's show on Nick, and I used to watch it!

remember the slime being poured on them?

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 7:40 am

remember the slime being poured on them?

Yes! Do you know what that stuff was made from? Also remember Legends of the Hidden Temple? And the one they had to climb the mountain?

Written By: karen on 05/30/14 at 11:05 am

I think it was a US show.  There was a conveyor belt with a clear first part and then prizes on it.  You had to answer questions and get so many right before they stopped the conveyor belt.  So if you got some wrong or took too long to answer the prizes fell off the end of the conveyor belt out the 5th storey window

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 7:30 pm

I think it was a US show.  There was a conveyor belt with a clear first part and then prizes on it.  You had to answer questions and get so many right before they stopped the conveyor belt.  So if you got some wrong or took too long to answer the prizes fell off the end of the conveyor belt out the 5th storey window

I know the one you're talking about and can't think of it's name!

Written By: Howard on 05/30/14 at 7:43 pm

Yes! Do you know what that stuff was made from? Also remember Legends of the Hidden Temple? And the one they had to climb the mountain?

water and green food coloring? ???

Written By: karen on 05/31/14 at 5:17 am

I know the one you're talking about and can't think of it's name!

Downfall

apparently it only lasted for 5 shows.  I think we watched every one of them, it was just before we moved back to the UK

Written By: Howard on 05/31/14 at 6:32 am

I really liked Fear Factor before it turned into "How many gross things can you eat".  When it started there were real challenges that made you face fears.  Heights, dogs, cars, etc.

and being encased in a tube of spiders? :o

Written By: CatwomanofV on 05/31/14 at 4:29 pm

Worst game show in history (IMO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6xWB2DY0f0

Then there is this one:  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KezvwARhBIc

Cat

Written By: Slim95 on 06/01/14 at 1:33 am

"Uh Oh!" was not only the weirdest game show I've seen on TV, but one of the weirdest things in general I've seen on TV.  :o The 'punisher' literally scared me as a kid. It started in the 90s and then went through the 2000s.

http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/Ody1h1MDgug/hqdefault.jpg
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/dhOCv7bNnlY/0.jpg

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/01/14 at 1:34 pm

"Uh Oh!" was not only the weirdest game show I've seen on TV, but one of the weirdest things in general I've seen on TV.  :o The 'punisher' literally scared me as a kid. It started in the 90s and then went through the 2000s.

He looks crazy!

Written By: Howard on 06/01/14 at 3:14 pm

Worst game show in history (IMO)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6xWB2DY0f0

Then there is this one:  ;D ;D ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KezvwARhBIc

Cat

UHF was too corny.

Written By: Howard on 06/01/14 at 3:14 pm

was this in the U.S.?  ???

Written By: whistledog on 06/02/14 at 2:15 pm

I remember Uh-Oh.  It was quite weird, but it was a game show aimed towards kids

Check for new replies or respond here...