inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How come there was never an 00s backlash in the 2010s?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/15/14 at 2:41 pm

Does anyone know why? Is it because the 2010s are worse than the 00s?

Subject: Re: How come there was never an 00s backlash in the 2010s?

Written By: Visor765 on 06/15/14 at 10:20 pm

Wait until you see the YouTube comments on best of decade 2000s videos. It's there! Really!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/15/14 at 11:35 pm

Wait until you see the YouTube comments on best of decade 2000s videos. It's there! Really!

But why is it just complaining? Why isn't there an actual cultural movement designed to go against it?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/15/14 at 11:50 pm

Because the 10s are not over yet...
Your thread title sounds like it was 2020 already.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/15/14 at 11:59 pm

Because the 10s are not over yet...
Your thread title sounds like it was 2020 already.

Well the backlash against the 50s happened in the 60s
the backlash against the 70s happened in the 80s
the backlash against the 80s happened in the 90s
so wouldn't the backlash against the 00s happen in the 10s?

Written By: SiderealDreams on 06/16/14 at 12:32 am

I think that in the US at least, the backlash seemed to come a bit early. In 2008, people were very tired of Bush-era politics, which I think was as linked to the 00's as Reaganism and Thatcherism were to the 80's. Plus, that same year, Lady Gaga and Katy Perry began to have popularity, signaling the prominence of electropop that still continues to this day. I certainly don't know anyone who misses the core of the 2000's, with its paranoid right-wing atmosphere and relatively bland music. Fashion also seemed to move toward a more polished and tailored style starting around 2008, though there were already signs of it in 2006 in Seattle where I lived. In any case, I think that by 2008, people were prematurely happy to let the 00's go and try to begin a new cultural paradigm. 2008 was a huge year for cultural shifts and I think also for backlash against what will be regarded in future decades as the general culture of the 00's, making a 10's backlash against it redundant.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 1:40 am

Topic very similar...

Has there been a 00s backlash? 

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=46442.0

Written By: Visor765 on 06/16/14 at 2:52 pm

Sometimes, the backlash isn't very loud. If you listen to the music today, you can tell by the lyrics and the production that it's the exact opposite of 2000s standards. 2000s music is pretty conventional. Their music concepts are based on a specific style and vibe. The idea of what was considered a "hit song" in the 2000s, was a mix of 60s, 70s, and 80s, with pop music kinda inspired by 60s tunes, hip-hop music was inspired by 70s disco with that pseudo-4 on the 4 beat as well as the use of synthetic instruments such as drum machines, and the pop rock music was inspired by the power pop of the 70s and 80s, as well as continuing post-grunge(which is also arguably pop rock). This standard has become outdated, and has been for several years. Today's tastes are now based on quirky indie-rock, synthpop, electropop, trap, grime, and electro-R&B. The production styles of these genres go against what was popular before, and the idea is to be as unorthodox as possible. Kind of like rock music in the 90s (if you remember the harmonicas in those songs!). Also, listen to Macklemore's "Thrift Shop" and Lorde's "Royals" and OneRepublic's "Counting Stars". Their lyrics talk about hating money, which is anti-2000s. Their production is also quirky and "weird", let's just say. So yeah, this is a quiet backlash against the 2000s.

2000s=orthodox        2010s=unorthodox.

Also, in response to siderealdreams, people were willing to let the 90s go prematurely too. For instance, there's this one thread from 1998 saying "Who thinks that the 90's SUCK? I do." Here is the link:http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe80s/bbs0/wwwboard_15.shtml So yeah, this premature backlash isn't anything new.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 2:53 pm

How can we tell if there will be a 00s backlash when the 2010s has not finished yet?

Written By: Emman on 06/16/14 at 3:05 pm

There have been a few pop and rap songs since about 2012 that have criticized the rampant materialism that characterized late '90s/'00s hip-hop culture.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 3:33 pm

But why is it just complaining? Why isn't there an actual cultural movement designed to go against it?

why would you want a cultural movement?

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 3:35 pm

How can we tell if there will be a 00s backlash when the 2010s has not finished yet?

we're not even done with 2014 yet.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/16/14 at 7:42 pm

Exactly. Finally somebody who understood was I was talking about earlier  ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/16/14 at 7:44 pm

Well the backlash against the 50s happened in the 60s
the backlash against the 70s happened in the 80s
the backlash against the 80s happened in the 90s
so wouldn't the backlash against the 00s happen in the 10s?

You have written "How come there WAS never an 00s backlash in the 2010s?".

I mean, we still have 5 and a half years, so it could still happen.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/16/14 at 9:34 pm

You have written "How come there WAS never an 00s backlash in the 2010s?".

I mean, we still have 5 and a half years, so it could still happen.

Yeah but we're already in the middle of the decade.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/14 at 6:35 am

not quite, not until 2015.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 6:43 am

Not yet, we are at 4/10 through the decade, or 2/5

Written By: dnt88 on 06/18/14 at 5:52 pm

Does anyone know why? Is it because the 2010s are worse than the 00s?

Because most famous artists of the 00's are still popular in the 2010's and young people still consider 00's trends, music and movies as something cool. The 00's also still look modern and it wasn't a very cheesy decade compared to the 70's or 80's. Those are also the reasons there wasn't a 90's backlash in the 00's.

Written By: Visor765 on 06/19/14 at 12:43 am

Because most famous artists of the 00's are still popular in the 2010's and young people still consider 00's trends, music and movies as something cool. The 00's also still look modern and it wasn't a very cheesy decade compared to the 70's or 80's. Those are also the reasons there wasn't a 90's backlash in the 00's.

Ehh, not really. If you look at the list of the most popular songs of every year from the 2000s, you can tell most have faded to the point of obscurity. I also disagree with the idea that 2000s things are still considered cool and still look modern. I was watching two episodes from the show Veronica Mars which originally aired in 2005, and as I was watching the show, I realized that it only looks modern because everyone else has a similar style so they all blend in, but if they were to wear those 2005 clothes today, they would stand out, since the style is noticeably different. 2000s music is definitely not considered cool. As a matter of fact, it's pretty cool to bash the 2000s music right now on the internet, with our 90s obsession and all. Movies, well, a good movie is always appreciated in whatever decade someone wishes to watch it in. You probably live somewhere where people do not keep up with current pop culture trends very closely and catch on very slowly.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/19/14 at 7:03 am

Ehh, not really. If you look at the list of the most popular songs of every year from the 2000s, you can tell most have faded to the point of obscurity. I also disagree with the idea that 2000s things are still considered cool and still look modern. I was watching two episodes from the show Veronica Mars which originally aired in 2005, and as I was watching the show, I realized that it only looks modern because everyone else has a similar style so they all blend in, but if they were to wear those 2005 clothes today, they would stand out, since the style is noticeably different. 2000s music is definitely not considered cool. As a matter of fact, it's pretty cool to bash the 2000s music right now on the internet, with our 90s obsession and all. Movies, well, a good movie is always appreciated in whatever decade someone wishes to watch it in. You probably live somewhere where people do not keep up with current pop culture trends very closely and catch on very slowly.

"Modern" can be a broad term. Past decades were still modern times, each decade advances more than the next. Current is more the word to use. People might have nostalgia for some of the popular music they heard back in those days. For artists who got started the latter part of the 2000's decade, there will be some carry over, but there are more new names out there overshadowing the old. 2000's music wasn't bad, but the trends have moved away from what was big back then and onto new things.

Written By: Visor765 on 06/19/14 at 1:19 pm

"Modern" can be a broad term. Past decades were still modern times, each decade advances more than the next. Current is more the word to use. People might have nostalgia for some of the popular music they heard back in those days. For artists who got started the latter part of the 2000's decade, there will be some carry over, but there are more new names out there overshadowing the old. 2000's music wasn't bad, but the trends have moved away from what was big back then and onto new things.

Exactly, I don't think 2000s music is bad, I'm just saying that people like to make fun of it right now (and probably will continue to do so for few more years until 2000s nostalgia starts).

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/19/14 at 8:09 pm

Exactly, I don't think 2000s music is bad, I'm just saying that people like to make fun of it right now (and probably will continue to do so for few more years until 2000s nostalgia starts).

People even make fun of current trends though.

Written By: Visor765 on 06/19/14 at 10:47 pm

Oh yeah, they always have, especially on SNL!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/14 at 1:46 am

People have always made fun of current trends and situations, it is called satire.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/20/14 at 1:47 am

Satireday Night Live

Written By: Howard on 06/20/14 at 6:25 am

They always try to keep up with the times.

Written By: sonikuu on 06/22/14 at 6:28 am

I think the whole concept of a "decade backlash" is out of date.  There was a definite backlash against the 50s (and early 60s) in the second half of the 60s.  The 80s had a 70s backlash and so did the 90s against the 80s.  But there wasn't a particularly strong backlash against the 90s in the 00s.  What little backlash I saw was usually against the very end of the 90s, when Teen Pop reigned supreme.  Those were the days when people used to say that the late 90s were worse than the rest of the 90s and weren't "really 90s".  By way of comparison, these days a lot of people try to argue that the 90s somehow continued until 2003 or 2004 via decade magic.

Since the 90s never saw a huge backlash in the 00s, I suppose its not surprising the 00s backlash in the 2010s hasn't been very strong either.  The 00s seem irrelevant, but not hated.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/22/14 at 8:20 am

I think the whole concept of a "decade backlash" is out of date.  There was a definite backlash against the 50s (and early 60s) in the second half of the 60s.  The 80s had a 70s backlash and so did the 90s against the 80s.  But there wasn't a particularly strong backlash against the 90s in the 00s.  What little backlash I saw was usually against the very end of the 90s, when Teen Pop reigned supreme.  Those were the days when people used to say that the late 90s were worse than the rest of the 90s and weren't "really 90s".  By way of comparison, these days a lot of people try to argue that the 90s somehow continued until 2003 or 2004 via decade magic.

Since the 90s never saw a huge backlash in the 00s, I suppose its not surprising the 00s backlash in the 2010s hasn't been very strong either.  The 00s seem irrelevant, but not hated.

I think it's because the political events of the early 00s dragged out the late 90s very far culturally. There was a lot more stagnation. The Simpsons and South Park are still on the air. Puddle of Mudd sounded like it could have been there in the 90s is another example. Fashion didn't really change from the late 90s either. People say skating is an 00s thing but I remember it being seen as cool in the 90s with the half-pipes.

I think that the younger you were in the 00s, the more 90s like it was. I notice that people who were adults of the era place the 90s ending on 9/11 whereas children of the 00s era, I see them more placing the end even up to 05. Politically it was very different but pop culturally it had stagnated for teens. The culture was only really different for adults.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 2:00 am

They always try to keep up with the times.
I try to keep up with the British satire television programs.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/26/14 at 7:37 am

Interesting.

Written By: Visor765 on 06/26/14 at 8:44 pm

Also the video quality of the show hasn't deteriorated as much as other shows did in the past (1995 episodes in 2004, for instance). So it gives off the effect that it still looks recent, even though it really isn't.

Check for new replies or respond here...