inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Mid 2000s

Written By: Visor765 on 06/27/14 at 7:32 pm

What were the mid 2000s anyway? I mean, I know the music of course, but the hairstyles, the tv shows, the fashion, and the video games are pretty undefined. I always though of them as very different from the late 2000s (because they are), and I believe they have more in common with the early years. I guess it's just because they're old to the point where they're outdated but not retro, so they're like a shadow that passes through you. I don't understand, can you define the mid 2000s for me?

Subject: Re: The Mid 2000s

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/27/14 at 7:38 pm

For fashion, for girls, pink and green combinations were in. High contrast skunk highlights were in. Wearing jelly bracelets all over your wrists were in.

Popular music was dominated by rap and hip hop.

Cell phones were flip phones. Mp3 players existed, but even they looked like toys compared to today's iPods and devices.

TV shows were more reality shows again. I remember watching Brat Camp in 2005, but it was just the one season, it didn't keep going.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/14 at 8:31 pm

The video games were a mixture of Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, XB 360, DS, and PSP games such as Killzone, Mario Power Tennis, Def Jam Fight for NY, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Star Wars, CoD, and Mario Superstar Baseball.

For Fashion, there was baggy clothing for Hip-hop, Emo/scene clothing, buzzcuts, eyebrow piercings, hoop earrings, Straight hair, jean skirts for girls, highlights, bedazzled things etc.

For fashion, for girls, pink and green combinations were in. High contrast skunk highlights were in. Wearing jelly bracelets all over your wrists were in.

Popular music was dominated by rap and hip hop.

Cell phones were flip phones. Mp3 players existed, but even they looked like toys compared to today's iPods and devices.

TV shows were more reality shows again. I remember watching Brat Camp in 2005, but it was just the one season, it didn't keep going.

I saw those highlights and bracelets all the time on girls along with jean skirts. I remember everyone having a flip phone comprised of Motorola Razors, Samsung, Nokia, and Siemens. They sure did look like toys.

There were alot of reality shows along with teen shows, competitions, cartoons, and other general shows. I also did watch reality shows like you did and they were good and not blown out of proportion like today.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/27/14 at 8:42 pm

The video games were a mixture of Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, XB 360, DS, and PSP games such as Killzone, Mario Power Tennis, Def Jam Fight for NY, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Star Wars, CoD, and Mario Superstar Baseball.

For Fashion, there was baggy clothing for Hip-hop, Emo/scene clothing, buzzcuts, eyebrow piercings, hoop earrings, Straight hair, jean skirts for girls, highlights, bedazzled things etc.

I saw those highlights and bracelets all the time on girls along with jean skirts. I remember everyone having a flip phone comprised of Motorola Razors, Samsung, Nokia, and Siemens. They sure did look like toys.

There were alot of reality shows along with teen shows, competitions, cartoons, and other general shows. I also did watch reality shows like you did and they were good and not blown out of proportion like today.

Yeah, and if you were a girl, you had a pink Razr! There were phones that even had a light bar that lit up blue when rang.

I forgot the jean skirts phenomenon. Every girl owned one of them too it seemed.

Reality shows didn't copy eachother one after another like today. You might have had A copy of another show, but that was it. Now there's a show for everything, Redneck TV is very popular, I don't know why.  That and stuff about mundane jobs and people's lives and it's really drowning out anything better that may still be there.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/14 at 9:58 pm

Yeah, and if you were a girl, you had a pink Razr! There were phones that even had a light bar that lit up blue when rang.

I forgot the jean skirts phenomenon. Every girl owned one of them too it seemed.

Reality shows didn't copy eachother one after another like today. You might have had A copy of another show, but that was it. Now there's a show for everything, Redneck TV is very popular, I don't know why.  That and stuff about mundane jobs and people's lives and it's really drowning out anything better that may still be there.
You're so right. My sister actually had a Pink Razr and for the jean skirts, girls were wearing these almost everyday and also may have owned another color other than denim. Also, you're right about the reality shows of today. I feel that some of them have the same concept while the older ones didnt.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/27/14 at 10:50 pm

Myspace!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/28/14 at 2:03 am

For some reason the most boring part of the decade, pop culturally.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/14 at 6:57 am

I hated some of the reality shows, they were just way too much for me to watch.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/14 at 7:00 am

like My Sweet 16, Pregnant at 18(whatever it's called?) ::) The Bachelor/Bachelorette & Date My Daughter.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/28/14 at 7:31 am

Myspace!

I had one, complete with glittery animated graphics!  ;D How tacky!

You're so right. My sister actually had a Pink Razr and for the jean skirts, girls were wearing these almost everyday and also may have owned another color other than denim. Also, you're right about the reality shows of today. I feel that some of them have the same concept while the older ones didnt.
I had two jean skirts I wore after high school though. They'd be too short for my standards now, unless leggings were worn. My style has changed alot though.

Shows like Survivor and Biggest Loser have been going for years and are still alright. Stuff like Duck Dynasty, Porter Ridge, and all that get so redundant. Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is a class all on it's own...or lack of class.  ::)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/28/14 at 8:00 am

Wavy curls on girls and thick shaggy hair on guys start to really take off.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/28/14 at 10:41 am

like My Sweet 16, Pregnant at 18(whatever it's called?) ::) The Bachelor/Bachelorette & Date My Daughter.
Not those kind. More like the competition ones such as fear factor, weakest link, survivor, and American Idol. Those are the ones I watched. I also watched a few other reality shows, but they were not as bad as the ones today.

I had one, complete with glittery animated graphics!  ;D How tacky!
I had two jean skirts I wore after high school though. They'd be too short for my standards now, unless leggings were worn. My style has changed alot though.

Shows like Survivor and Biggest Loser have been going for years and are still alright. Stuff like Duck Dynasty, Porter Ridge, and all that get so redundant. Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is a class all on it's own...or lack of class.  ::)
Everyone's style changes in time as they want to try something new or add extra to their style. Don't forget about the kardashian show, love and hip hop, basketball wives, and jersey Shore.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/14 at 6:08 pm

Not those kind. More like the competition ones such as fear factor, weakest link, survivor, and American Idol. Those are the ones I watched. I also watched a few other reality shows, but they were not as bad as the ones today.

I saw Fear Factor, Weakest Link Survivor and American Idol.

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/28/14 at 6:27 pm

I remember the hair. It was after the spikes and before the bieberbang thing. Most guys at school grew it out a bit without doing anything with it. I had quite a big curly mess.

flip phones; youtube started. Did anyone play runescape? It was popular in 2005. Besides that I don't remember a lot.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/28/14 at 6:42 pm

I remember the hair. It was after the spikes and before the bieberbang thing. Most guys at school grew it out a bit without doing anything with it. I had quite a big curly mess.

flip phones; youtube started. Did anyone play runescape? It was popular in 2005. Besides that I don't remember a lot.

Frosted hair, spiked with gel....yep! That screams 2000's! I've heard of Runescape, but don't know what it was about.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/28/14 at 8:35 pm

I saw Fear Factor, Weakest Link Survivor and American Idol.
I remember from the weakest link "you are the weakest link goodbye"  and for fear factor, everyone who went on that show were brave, but some couldn't handle some of the things they had to eat.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/28/14 at 8:42 pm

I remember from the weakest link "you are the weakest link goodbye"  and for fear factor, everyone who went on that show were brave, but some couldn't handle some of the things they had to eat.

I'd be out at the food part too.  8-P

Written By: Visor765 on 06/28/14 at 10:30 pm

For some reason the most boring part of the decade, pop culturally.

I'm not asking for opinions, I'm asking for facts.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/28/14 at 10:47 pm

I'd be out at the food part too.  8-P
Same here, unless it is something i can digest.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/29/14 at 3:42 am

Same here, unless it is something i can digest.

Yeah, seeing how many animal parts you can eat and how fast is off putting.

Written By: Howard on 06/29/14 at 2:30 pm

and sometimes you were surrounded in a vat of something awful, like spiders or ants! :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/29/14 at 3:05 pm

and sometimes you were surrounded in a vat of something awful, like spiders or ants! :P
I know. Thats hardcore right there.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/30/14 at 2:38 am

I'm not asking for opinions, I'm asking for facts.

It is a fact  8)

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/30/14 at 9:20 am

Fear factor was so interesting; those living spiders for dinner :o

Emo's; bling bling teeth; better economy.

Written By: Visor765 on 06/30/14 at 10:38 am

It is a fact  8)

No, it is an opinion.

Fact: The sky is blue.
Opinion: The sky looks boring.

Written By: Howard on 06/30/14 at 2:20 pm

Fear factor was so interesting; those living spiders for dinner :o

Emo's; bling bling teeth; better economy.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/siowfa12/assets_c/2012/09/Fear-Factor-Scorpions-thumb-360x225-339634.jpg

anybody would like a cricket? :P

Written By: Howard on 06/30/14 at 2:23 pm

http://www.everseradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/8sim5.jpg

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/30/14 at 9:21 pm

http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/siowfa12/assets_c/2012/09/Fear-Factor-Scorpions-thumb-360x225-339634.jpg

anybody would like a cricket? :P

That looks like a scorpion.  :o

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/01/14 at 2:48 am

Fact: The sky is blue.

Even this is debatable. Go on Wikipedia or take a lexicon, if you want facts.  :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/14 at 3:38 am

What were the mid 2000s anyway? I mean, I know the music of course, but the hairstyles, the tv shows, the fashion, and the video games are pretty undefined. I always though of them as very different from the late 2000s (because they are), and I believe they have more in common with the early years. I guess it's just because they're old to the point where they're outdated but not retro, so they're like a shadow that passes through you. I don't understand, can you define the mid 2000s for me?

Culturally, the mid 00's represented a really important moment in history for a number of reasons. First off, the creation and popularization of YouTube, MySpace and Twitter marked the beginning of the transition from the so-called "Web 1.0" of the 90's and early 00's, to the "Web 2.0" of today. Secondly, from a political standpoint, the country began to shift away from it's post-9/11 conservatism as the administration of George W. Bush became increasingly unpopular, something that would result in the election of Barack Obama in 2008.

In some ways, the mid 00's are now starting to feel like sort of the last gasp of the "old era" so to speak. They were the last years before smartphones and tablets, before VHS tapes and CD players completely became relics of the past, and before faster internet connections became the norm, which allowed for the explosion of everything from video sharing, to iTunes, to social networking. Heck, even broadcast television was still a much larger factor then as compared to now. Good luck getting 50 million people to tune in to watch a single show on network TV these days like the "Friends" finale did back in 2004.

As far as the styles and trends of the era, I was in college at the time so this is certainly something I can speak to. The whole "emo kid" thing never really reached critical mass, at least around here. Nu Metal was certainly long dead though, as most kids I knew that didn't listen to hip hop were big into The White Stripes and groups of that ilk. The gaming scene was still dominated by the PlayStation 2, although by 2006, hype over the Xbox 360, and the high price point of the PS3, had damaged Sony's standing somewhat.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/01/14 at 4:45 am

Culturally, the mid 00's represented a really important moment in history for a number of reasons. First off, the creation and popularization of YouTube, MySpace and Twitter marked the beginning of the transition from the so-called "Web 1.0" of the 90's and early 00's, to the "Web 2.0" of today. Secondly, from a political standpoint, the country began to shift away from it's post-9/11 conservatism as the administration of George W. Bush became increasingly unpopular, something that would result in the election of Barack Obama in 2008.

In some ways, the mid 00's are now starting to feel like sort of the last gasp of the "old era" so to speak. They were the last years before smartphones and tablets, before VHS tapes and CD players completely became relics of the past, and before faster internet connections became the norm, which allowed for the explosion of everything from video sharing, to iTunes, to social networking. Heck, even broadcast television was still a much larger factor then as compared to now. Good luck getting 50 million people to tune in to watch a single show on network TV these days like the "Friends" finale did back in 2004.

As far as the styles and trends of the era, I was in college at the time so this is certainly something I can speak to. The whole "emo kid" thing never really reached critical mass, at least around here. Nu Metal was certainly long dead though, as most kids I knew that didn't listen to hip hop were big into The White Stripes and groups of that ilk. The gaming scene was still dominated by the PlayStation 2, although by 2006, hype over the Xbox 360, and the high price point of the PS3, had damaged Sony's standing somewhat.

Nu-metal was popular even into the mid 00s but typically from people of class of 05 or before.  The White Stripes were Big and so were bands like Jet for people not into the rap at the time.

The emo kid thing was huge in the mid-late 00s. You would go to the mall and see so many of them hanging out, especially outside Hot Topic.
They were also all over MySpace.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/14 at 2:34 pm

That looks like a scorpion.  :o

I think it's a scorpion.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/14 at 2:37 pm

First off, the creation and popularization of YouTube, MySpace and Twitter marked the beginning of the transition from the so-called "Web 1.0" of the 90's and early 00's, to the "Web 2.0" of today.

and a decade later, YouTube, MySpace and Twitter are quite popular now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/14 at 2:44 pm

Nu-metal was popular even into the mid 00s but typically from people of class of 05 or before.  The White Stripes were Big and so were bands like Jet for people not into the rap at the time.

The emo kid thing was huge in the mid-late 00s. You would go to the mall and see so many of them hanging out, especially outside Hot Topic.
They were also all over MySpace.

Yeah, I was in the Class of '05, and Nu Metal was no doubt a huge deal when I was still in school. It was massive up through 2003, but it was noticeably starting to peter out by the end of my senior year. Limp Bizkit pretty much ceased to exist after their disastrous cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" in 2003, and I'm pretty sure Linkin Park's last hit (before they changed their sound) was "Numb" in 2004. Emo was massive, especially around 2006 and 2007, but never had as much impact here locally as it did nationally.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/01/14 at 4:11 pm

I remember Evanescence and symphonic metal like Within Temptation being popular here.
I miss that dark atmosphere, and metal bands with female singers.

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/01/14 at 9:51 pm

Yeah, I was in the Class of '05, and Nu Metal was no doubt a huge deal when I was still in school. It was massive up through 2003, but it was noticeably starting to peter out by the end of my senior year. Limp Bizkit pretty much ceased to exist after their disastrous cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" in 2003, and I'm pretty sure Linkin Park's last hit (before they changed their sound) was "Numb" in 2004. Emo was massive, especially around 2006 and 2007, but never had as much impact here locally as it did nationally.

Limp Bizkit isn't metal in my book. They've got too much rap influence and aren't hard enough to truly be metal, no matter what they're style is called. I liked their Chocolate Starfish songs, but they went downhill. The late 90's was their heydey.

Nu Metal would be more Apartment 26, Union Underground, Papa Roach, Disturbed, Mudvyane, Drowning Pool, Godsmack, Soil, etc. In the middle of the decade alternative rock bands with less of a heavy sound were played more often on the radio. Bands that used to be more on the metal side changed their style too. Rob Zombie used to sound very different until Educated Horses. Some songs were catchy, but it wasn't the same as his more horror influenced days.

Hurt was one of the alternative bands, with songs like Rapture and Falls Apart. Flyleaf is another band I was hearing alot of. Fully Alive was the song played the most, but they've done good cover songs by others. There is a version of a NIN song sung by that woman and it's different. I know she has the kind of voice that can be hit or miss though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/14 at 4:53 am

I think it's a scorpion.
Agreed, it is a scorpion.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/03/14 at 12:51 pm

If that's true, then the George Bush administration didn't start to become unpopular until about 2006. George Bush got re-elected in 2004, crushing John Kerry. It was obvious from the results he was still popular.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/14 at 2:00 pm

Mid 2000's were 2003-2007. 03-05 was pretty different from 05-07, but overall the mid 00's were most remembered by: MySpace, Flip Phones and phones with a physical keyboard, Netbooks, Harry Potter movies, baggier clothing, DVDs and CDS still in popularity, IPod Nanos, Livestrong bracelets, Hannah Montanna, Highschool Musical, Black Eyed Peas when they were still good, Hip Hop music, Rihanna, Pussycat Dolls, MSN still in popularity and Desktops more common in households as main computer device. Mid 00's are starting to get really dated now. But especially for me because I was 8-12 years old at that time so it was a big part of my childhood.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/03/14 at 2:26 pm

03-05 was pretty different from 05-07,

This actually means that 05 was different from 05 and that's weird. If you want to compare years, then leave at least a gap of 2-4 years in between.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/14 at 2:38 pm

This actually means that 05 was different from 05 and that's weird. If you want to compare years, then leave at least a gap of 2-4 years in between.

Well first half of 05 was different from second half. So I meant exactly what I wrote. XD

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/03/14 at 2:51 pm

Well first half of 05 was different from second half. So I meant exactly what I wrote. XD

yeah, really.... on July 1st everything changed, or what?

Written By: Howard on 07/03/14 at 3:21 pm

MySpace, Flip Phones and phones with a physical keyboard, Netbooks, Harry Potter movies, baggier clothing, DVDs and CDS still in popularity, IPod Nanos, Livestrong bracelets, Hannah Montanna, Highschool Musical, Black Eyed Peas when they were still good, Hip Hop music, Rihanna, Pussycat Dolls, MSN still in popularity and Desktops more common in households as main computer device.

I agree with this.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/03/14 at 3:27 pm

Mid 2000's were 2003-2007. 03-05 was pretty different from 05-07, but overall the mid 00's were most remembered by: MySpace, Flip Phones and phones with a physical keyboard, Netbooks, Harry Potter movies, baggier clothing, DVDs and CDS still in popularity, IPod Nanos, Livestrong bracelets, Hannah Montanna, Highschool Musical, Black Eyed Peas when they were still good, Hip Hop music, Rihanna, Pussycat Dolls, MSN still in popularity and Desktops more common in households as main computer device. Mid 00's are starting to get really dated now. But especially for me because I was 8-12 years old at that time so it was a big part of my childhood.
The bold part is true for me too except I was 10-14 during that era and Hannah Montana and Ipod Nanos are more of a late 00s thing.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/03/14 at 4:18 pm

Hanna montana is really late 00s. It feels like
"after my time" though I was 15 in 2007.

Further: still bulky computer screens;
World of warcraft, sim city iv.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/14 at 4:21 pm

The bold part is true for me too except I was 10-14 during that era and Hannah Montana and Ipod Nanos are more of a late 00s thing.

You're right about Hannah Montanna though it was released in 2006. But IPod Nanos are totally a mid 00's thing they were popular in 2004. IPod touches are late 00's though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/03/14 at 4:47 pm

You're right about Hannah Montanna though it was released in 2006. But IPod Nanos are totally a mid 00's thing they were popular in 2004. IPod touches are late 00's though.
The nanos at that time were called the Ipod Mini then sometime later on, Apple changed the name. Hannah Montana is accurate as a late 00s thing because thats when Miley Cyrus started to get popular and people started to know who she was. 

Hanna montana is really late 00s. It feels like
"after my time" though I was 15 in 2007.

Further: still bulky computer screens;
World of warcraft, sim city iv.
Same here, I feel like Hannah Montana is after my time as well even though I was 14 in '07 as I actually stopped watching the Disney Channel (in 2003 or 2004) way before Miley's show premiered.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/03/14 at 9:44 pm

Mid 2000's were 2003-2007.

Actually the mid 2000s were 2004-2006.

03-05 was pretty different from 05-07

I personally think 2005 and 2006 were the same as before. I personally think the mid 2000s have more in common with the early 2000s than with the late 2000s, as opposed to the 90s.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/14 at 10:08 pm

Actually the mid 2000s were 2004-2006.

I personally think 2005 and 2006 were the same as before. I personally think the mid 2000s have more in common with the early 2000s than with the late 2000s, as opposed to the 90s.

No it does not. It's simple math...
Mid 2000's start in the middle of 2003... Therefore it's 2003-2007.

Yeah the rest I pretty much agree with.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/03/14 at 11:08 pm

No it does not. It's simple math...
Mid 2000's start in the middle of 2003... Therefore it's 2003-2007.

Yeah the rest I pretty much agree with.

If you mention math, you have to do it correctly  ;D
April 03 - September 06, so it's actually 2003-2006.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/09/14 at 5:11 am

"An Inconvenient Truth" - Al Gore

Written By: Visor765 on 08/03/14 at 1:19 pm

I know that drunk and snap music was HUGE, as well as pop rock. Regardless, there were still hip hop songs that weren't southern. Here are some lists:

Crunk & Snap:
Usher - Yeah!
Ciara - Goodies
Ciara - Oh
Chris Brown - Run It!
Ciara - Get Up
Cherish - Do It to It

Hip Hop/R&B:
Cassie - Me & U
Mis-Teeq - Scandalous
Amerie - One Thing
Lloyd - You
Rihanna - Pon de Replay
Terror Squad? - 99 Problems
Jay Z - 99 Problems
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
50 Cent - Candy Shop

Pop Rock:
Hhobastank - The Reason
Ryan Cabrera - On the Way Down
Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me
Simple Plan - Welcome to My Life
Switchfoot - Dare You to Move
Ashlee Simpson - Pieces of Me
Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/09/14 at 5:07 pm

Same here, I feel like Hannah Montana is after my time as well even though I was 14 in '07 as I actually stopped watching the Disney Channel (in 2003 or 2004) way before Miley's show premiered.

I don't think that sentiment is all that unusual. My younger brother was around that same age at the time, and he's said before that he didn't really know of anybody in his class that was into the "Hannah Montana" fad. My perception has always been that the whole "HM" thing was mostly focused on kids that were in junior high in the late '00s.

On a related note, the mid '00s to me is when the Disney Channel really fell off a cliff from a quality standpoint. Granted, my favorite era for the channel was when we first got it on cable back in the mid '90s (back when they showed then-current shows on the Disney Afternoon, but still frequently aired classic Mickey cartoons from the '50s and before as well), but it was still quite watchable up through the early 00's.

Of course, I'm about 15 years outside of the DC's intended viewing audience, so I guess I'm not supposed to like it. ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/09/14 at 5:09 pm

I know that drunk and snap music was HUGE, as well as pop rock. Regardless, there were still hip hop songs that weren't southern. Here are some lists:

Crunk & Snap:
Usher - Yeah!
Ciara - Goodies
Ciara - Oh
Chris Brown - Run It!
Ciara - Get Up
Cherish - Do It to It

Hip Hop/R&B:
Cassie - Me & U
Mis-Teeq - Scandalous
Amerie - One Thing
Lloyd - You
Rihanna - Pon de Replay
Terror Squad? - 99 Problems
Jay Z - 99 Problems
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
50 Cent - Candy Shop

Pop Rock:
Hhobastank - The Reason
Ryan Cabrera - On the Way Down
Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me
Simple Plan - Welcome to My Life
Switchfoot - Dare You to Move
Ashlee Simpson - Pieces of Me
Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone

That's pure mid-00s music right there!

Written By: 80sfan on 08/09/14 at 5:15 pm

Ten years. Now divide ten by three, and that's three and one third.

So the first three years are definitely the early 00s, no doubt. Then you have to add one third of a year to it, which is four months. Four times three is twelve months, which is a year. Now do you understand the math? The four months is the 'one third' part of the math.

So 2000, 2001, and 2002 is the 'three' part of the math. Then you add four months, so that's May 1, 2003.

So the mid-00s started in 2003, not 2004. May 1, 2003 to be precise.

The mid-00s began May 1, 2003 to August 31, 2006. 2003 to 2006 is the mid-00s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/09/14 at 8:44 pm

I don't think that sentiment is all that unusual. My younger brother was around that same age at the time, and he's said before that he didn't really know of anybody in his class that was into the "Hannah Montana" fad. My perception has always been that the whole "HM" thing was mostly focused on kids that were in junior high in the late '00s.

On a related note, the mid '00s to me is when the Disney Channel really fell off a cliff from a quality standpoint. Granted, my favorite era for the channel was when we first got it on cable back in the mid '90s (back when they showed then-current shows on the Disney Afternoon, but still frequently aired classic Mickey cartoons from the '50s and before as well), but it was still quite watchable up through the early 00's.

Of course, I'm about 15 years outside of the DC's intended viewing audience, so I guess I'm not supposed to like it. ;)
I think you're right. I didnt know anyone in high school who watched HM either so it had to be for middle schoolers of the late 00s as I was in Jr High in the mid 00s and like before, I actually stopped watching the Disney Channel 2 or 3 years before that show came on. Second, I agree with you, I feel like the late 90s/early 00s DC era was mine favorite too as that when I was watching the channel all the time along with Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, PBS, ABC Kids, Fox Kids, Kids WB and ABC/Fox Family.

Yes, thats also true the people who are not the target audience arent supposed to like shows that air on there, but there are some people who are 16 and older that watch those shows (and others intended for kids) and dont care how old they are.

Ten years. Now divide ten by three, and that's three and one third.

So the first three years are definitely the early 00s, no doubt. Then you have to add one third of a year to it, which is four months. Four times three is twelve months, which is a year. Now do you understand the math? The four months is the 'one third' part of the math.

So 2000, 2001, and 2002 is the 'three' part of the math. Then you add four months, so that's May 1, 2003.

So the mid-00s started in 2003, not 2004. May 1, 2003 to be precise.

The mid-00s began May 1, 2003 to August 31, 2006. 2003 to 2006 is the mid-00s.
The 3 year in a decade is still considered completely the early part because it still has leftover things from an earlier one and the fact that is the 3rd number that most people count from while the 6 year is still considered completely the middle as it is the 6th number when counting 1-10. Also, another way decades are divided is put it into 3 parts with 3 years each (early, middle and late).

For example:

Early 00s - 2001-2003
Middle 00s - 2004-2006
Late 00s - 2007-2009

In some places, the 0 year is placed with the previous decade in which for instance:

1981-1990

1991-2000

2001-2010

Written By: Visor765 on 08/09/14 at 10:32 pm

I think you're right. I didnt know anyone in high school who watched HM either so it had to be for middle schoolers of the late 00s as I was in Jr High in the mid 00s and like before, I actually stopped watching the Disney Channel 2 or 3 years before that show came on. Second, I agree with you, I feel like the late 90s/early 00s DC era was mine favorite too as that when I was watching the channel all the time along with Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, PBS, ABC Kids, Fox Kids, Kids WB and ABC/Fox Family.

Yes, thats also true the people who are not the target audience arent supposed to like shows that air on there, but there are some people who are 16 and older that watch those shows (and others intended for kids) and dont care how old they are.
The 3 year in a decade is still considered completely the early part because it still has leftover things from an earlier one and the fact that is the 3rd number that most people count from while the 6 year is still considered completely the middle as it is the 6th number when counting 1-10. Also, another way decades are divided is put it into 3 parts with 3 years each (early, middle and late).

For example:

Early 00s - 2001-2003
Middle 00s - 2004-2006
Late 00s - 2007-2009

In some places, the 0 year is placed with the previous decade in which for instance:

1981-1990

1991-2000

2001-2010

Uh, 1990 isn't 80s. It doesn't say "nineteen eighty-(something)" anywhere. That's why the zero year is the beginning of the decade. A baby isn't automatically a year old once it's born.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/09/14 at 11:36 pm

Uh, 1990 isn't 80s. It doesn't say "nineteen eighty-(something)" anywhere. That's why the zero year is the beginning of the decade. A baby isn't automatically a year old once it's born.
In some asian places, they are 1 when they are born. Yes, even though the zero is at the beginning, but when people count, it goes from 1-10. Once again in some places, people start the decade at the 1 year instead of the 0 year. Last, even if 1990 isnt 80s, it technically is as the culture doesn't just end there because as time goes on, it gradually changes. Things to also consider is that in 1990, there was still 80s music band/artists, lots of 80s fashion, the NES was popular, 80s sports players, and the cold war.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 3:57 am

1981-1990

1991-2000

2001-2010

This is true, but in this case, people do not talk about 80s, 90s or 00s respectively. It is just a simple decade (10 years) without a name. 2001-2010 for example is the first decade of the 21st century and 1991-2000 was the last decade of the 20th century.

If you are talking about a decade which is called '80s', then the years 1980-89 are meant.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 4:02 am

For example:

Early 00s - 2001-2003
Middle 00s - 2004-2006
Late 00s - 2007-2009

That does not make sense. 2000 is also part of the '00s decade'. Of course, there is also a 2001-2010 or even a 2002-2011 or 2003-2012 decade, but only to indicate a simple row of 10 years.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 4:03 am

Things to also consider is that in 1990, there was still 80s music band/artists, lots of 80s fashion, the NES was popular, 80s sports players, and the cold war.

You mix a lot of things up here.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/14 at 9:40 am

This is true, but in this case, people do not talk about 80s, 90s or 00s respectively. It is just a simple decade (10 years) without a name. 2001-2010 for example is the first decade of the 21st century and 1991-2000 was the last decade of the 20th century.

If you are talking about a decade which is called '80s', then the years 1980-89 are meant.
I've heard like that before thats why in some places, people use the 1 as the first year and the 0 as the last year of a decade. And I know what people are talking about when they say 80s, 90s, and 00s, but there is something I have analyzed, when people are talking about decades of pop culture, I noticed that it's mostly the middle part they talk about and not the early or late side. For instance, when people talk about the 90s, they mention grunge, Gangsta rap, flannels, bowl cuts, hi-top fades, movies that were popular at the time, AC music, overalls, scrunchies, dance music and other crazy fashion, but that was the main 90s and not the early or late part.

You mix a lot of things up here.
What do you mean?

Written By: Visor765 on 08/10/14 at 11:25 am

Last, even if 1990 isnt 80s, it technically is as the culture doesn't just end there because as time goes on, it gradually changes..

Actually no, technically 1990 is 90s. It is calendar-wise part of the  1990s. It is only 80s indirectly, due to spillover from the late parts.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/14 at 12:01 pm

Actually no, technically 1990 is 90s. It is calendar-wise part of the  1990s. It is only 80s indirectly, due to spillover from the late parts.
I agree with it being calendar wise, but it is mostly 80s because the 90s culture didnt exist yet. Heres the quote I said why it's still 80s.

Things to also consider is that in 1990, there was still 80s music band/artists, lots of 80s fashion, the NES was popular, 80s sports players, and the cold war.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 1:04 pm

What do you mean?

Just because 1990 was still kind of 80s, it is not part of the '80s decade'. 1981-90 was indeed a 'decade', but it's only an arbitrary span of 10 years. This has nothing to do with the pop cultural definition of decades (70s, 80s, 90s and so on). "Pop cultural" decades always refer to the 0-year of a decade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/14 at 1:58 pm

Just because 1990 was still kind of 80s, it is not part of the '80s decade'. 1981-90 was indeed a 'decade', but it's only an arbitrary span of 10 years. This has nothing to do with the pop cultural definition of decades (70s, 80s, 90s and so on). "Pop cultural" decades always refer to the 0-year of a decade.
Is it because during the 0 year, there are important changes?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 2:06 pm

No, it's because 80s is based on 1980, 90s on 1990 and 00s on 2000.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/14 at 2:24 pm

No, it's because 80s is based on 1980, 90s on 1990 and 00s on 2000.
I thought pop culture referred to the whole decade, not just the 0 year.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/14 at 2:35 pm

exactly 1989 is the last of the 80's, 1990 is the start of the 90's.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/11/14 at 9:57 pm

There is nothing really special about a 0 year of a decade.  Some decades like the 1980s and 2010s see a significant cultural change around the 0 year while others, such as the 60s and the 90s, don't see their shift until later in the decade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/11/14 at 11:05 pm

There is nothing really special about a 0 year of a decade.  Some decades like the 1980s and 2010s see a significant cultural change around the 0 year while others, such as the 60s and the 90s, don't see their shift until later in the decade.
I can see that. You're right because not every decade is going to have their shift at the beginning. I was reading about the 90s, and some people that the culture didnt start until 1993/94.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/12/14 at 4:23 am

I can see that. You're right because not every decade is going to have their shift at the beginning. I was reading about the 90s, and some people that the culture didnt start until 1993/94.

But the decade is called 90s because it started with 1990. That's what I meant earlier!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/14 at 9:42 am

But the decade is called 90s because it started with 1990. That's what I meant earlier!
It did calendar wise, but not culture wise. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/12/14 at 10:08 am

It did calendar wise, but not culture wise.

There is early 90s culture (which is similar to late 80s culture) , peak 90s culture and late 90s culture . Everything happened in the 1990s.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/12/14 at 11:56 am

There is early 90s culture (which is similar to late 80s culture) , peak 90s culture and late 90s culture . Everything happened in the 1990s.

I was about to post this earlier.  There are three distinct cultural eras in the 1990s.  There were distinct differences between the part of the decade when George H.W. Bush was still President, the core of the decade, and the late-90s "dot-com" era.  It was a very changeful time and the only other decade I can think of where so much changes so quickly was the 1960s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/14 at 1:47 pm

Some of 1993 also has early 90s culture. Some 1993 episodes of some shows had early 90s fashion.

I was about to post this earlier.  There are three distinct cultural eras in the 1990s.  There were distinct differences between the part of the decade when George H.W. Bush was still President, the core of the decade, and the late-90s "dot-com" era.  It was a very changeful time and the only other decade I can think of where so much changes so quickly was the 1960s.
Thats true. there was a gradual change throughout the decade with everything from fashion, video games, technology, music, movies, TV shows, and politics.

Also, to both of you, even though Clinton was president for most of 1993, the culture didn't just change on his first day of president of the U.S., it took some months to switch from the early 90s to main 90s since time gradually changes.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/12/14 at 2:51 pm

Some of 1993 also has early 90s culture.

Yes, I agree. 1993 is the last real 'old school' year of the 90s. You could easily say that early 90s culture was from 1990-93.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/13/14 at 1:32 am

There were actually some 90ish things floating around in 1990.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/13/14 at 3:43 am

There were actually some 90ish things floating around in 1990.

Not only in 1990. Even in 1989 and 1988.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/14/14 at 1:30 am

Not only in 1990. Even in 1989 and 1988.

Agreed.

Written By: the2001 on 08/14/14 at 1:39 am

mid 2000s were classic

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/14/14 at 10:43 pm

If that's true, then the George Bush administration didn't start to become unpopular until about 2006. George Bush got re-elected in 2004, crushing John Kerry. It was obvious from the results he was still popular.

Yeah, Bush was still quite popular for most of 2004. Per the American Presidency Project site, he was still at about 60% approval on January 1, 2004, due in part to the fact that Saddam Hussein had just been captured. The turning point for Bush really came in the summer of 2005, when violence in Iraq began to increase, Hurricane Katrina hit and the Harriet Miers debacle happened. In the beginning of that summer he was hovering around 50% approval, and by late September he'd dropped to 39%.

Check for new replies or respond here...