inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Mid 2000s

Written By: Visor765 on 06/27/14 at 7:32 pm

What were the mid 2000s anyway? I mean, I know the music of course, but the hairstyles, the tv shows, the fashion, and the video games are pretty undefined. I always though of them as very different from the late 2000s (because they are), and I believe they have more in common with the early years. I guess it's just because they're old to the point where they're outdated but not retro, so they're like a shadow that passes through you. I don't understand, can you define the mid 2000s for me?

Subject: Re: The Mid 2000s

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/27/14 at 7:38 pm

For fashion, for girls, pink and green combinations were in. High contrast skunk highlights were in. Wearing jelly bracelets all over your wrists were in.

Popular music was dominated by rap and hip hop.

Cell phones were flip phones. Mp3 players existed, but even they looked like toys compared to today's iPods and devices.

TV shows were more reality shows again. I remember watching Brat Camp in 2005, but it was just the one season, it didn't keep going.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/14 at 8:31 pm

The video games were a mixture of Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, XB 360, DS, and PSP games such as Killzone, Mario Power Tennis, Def Jam Fight for NY, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Star Wars, CoD, and Mario Superstar Baseball.

For Fashion, there was baggy clothing for Hip-hop, Emo/scene clothing, buzzcuts, eyebrow piercings, hoop earrings, Straight hair, jean skirts for girls, highlights, bedazzled things etc.

For fashion, for girls, pink and green combinations were in. High contrast skunk highlights were in. Wearing jelly bracelets all over your wrists were in.

Popular music was dominated by rap and hip hop.

Cell phones were flip phones. Mp3 players existed, but even they looked like toys compared to today's iPods and devices.

TV shows were more reality shows again. I remember watching Brat Camp in 2005, but it was just the one season, it didn't keep going.

I saw those highlights and bracelets all the time on girls along with jean skirts. I remember everyone having a flip phone comprised of Motorola Razors, Samsung, Nokia, and Siemens. They sure did look like toys.

There were alot of reality shows along with teen shows, competitions, cartoons, and other general shows. I also did watch reality shows like you did and they were good and not blown out of proportion like today.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/27/14 at 8:42 pm

The video games were a mixture of Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, XB 360, DS, and PSP games such as Killzone, Mario Power Tennis, Def Jam Fight for NY, Jak & Daxter, Ratchet and Clank, Sly Cooper, Star Wars, CoD, and Mario Superstar Baseball.

For Fashion, there was baggy clothing for Hip-hop, Emo/scene clothing, buzzcuts, eyebrow piercings, hoop earrings, Straight hair, jean skirts for girls, highlights, bedazzled things etc.

I saw those highlights and bracelets all the time on girls along with jean skirts. I remember everyone having a flip phone comprised of Motorola Razors, Samsung, Nokia, and Siemens. They sure did look like toys.

There were alot of reality shows along with teen shows, competitions, cartoons, and other general shows. I also did watch reality shows like you did and they were good and not blown out of proportion like today.

Yeah, and if you were a girl, you had a pink Razr! There were phones that even had a light bar that lit up blue when rang.

I forgot the jean skirts phenomenon. Every girl owned one of them too it seemed.

Reality shows didn't copy eachother one after another like today. You might have had A copy of another show, but that was it. Now there's a show for everything, Redneck TV is very popular, I don't know why.  That and stuff about mundane jobs and people's lives and it's really drowning out anything better that may still be there.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/27/14 at 9:58 pm

Yeah, and if you were a girl, you had a pink Razr! There were phones that even had a light bar that lit up blue when rang.

I forgot the jean skirts phenomenon. Every girl owned one of them too it seemed.

Reality shows didn't copy eachother one after another like today. You might have had A copy of another show, but that was it. Now there's a show for everything, Redneck TV is very popular, I don't know why.  That and stuff about mundane jobs and people's lives and it's really drowning out anything better that may still be there.
You're so right. My sister actually had a Pink Razr and for the jean skirts, girls were wearing these almost everyday and also may have owned another color other than denim. Also, you're right about the reality shows of today. I feel that some of them have the same concept while the older ones didnt.

Written By: 80sfan on 06/27/14 at 10:50 pm

Myspace!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/28/14 at 2:03 am

For some reason the most boring part of the decade, pop culturally.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/14 at 6:57 am

I hated some of the reality shows, they were just way too much for me to watch.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/14 at 7:00 am

like My Sweet 16, Pregnant at 18(whatever it's called?) ::) The Bachelor/Bachelorette & Date My Daughter.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/28/14 at 7:31 am

Myspace!

I had one, complete with glittery animated graphics!  ;D How tacky!

You're so right. My sister actually had a Pink Razr and for the jean skirts, girls were wearing these almost everyday and also may have owned another color other than denim. Also, you're right about the reality shows of today. I feel that some of them have the same concept while the older ones didnt.
I had two jean skirts I wore after high school though. They'd be too short for my standards now, unless leggings were worn. My style has changed alot though.

Shows like Survivor and Biggest Loser have been going for years and are still alright. Stuff like Duck Dynasty, Porter Ridge, and all that get so redundant. Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is a class all on it's own...or lack of class.  ::)

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/28/14 at 8:00 am

Wavy curls on girls and thick shaggy hair on guys start to really take off.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/28/14 at 10:41 am

like My Sweet 16, Pregnant at 18(whatever it's called?) ::) The Bachelor/Bachelorette & Date My Daughter.
Not those kind. More like the competition ones such as fear factor, weakest link, survivor, and American Idol. Those are the ones I watched. I also watched a few other reality shows, but they were not as bad as the ones today.

I had one, complete with glittery animated graphics!  ;D How tacky!
I had two jean skirts I wore after high school though. They'd be too short for my standards now, unless leggings were worn. My style has changed alot though.

Shows like Survivor and Biggest Loser have been going for years and are still alright. Stuff like Duck Dynasty, Porter Ridge, and all that get so redundant. Here Comes Honey Boo Boo is a class all on it's own...or lack of class.  ::)
Everyone's style changes in time as they want to try something new or add extra to their style. Don't forget about the kardashian show, love and hip hop, basketball wives, and jersey Shore.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/14 at 6:08 pm

Not those kind. More like the competition ones such as fear factor, weakest link, survivor, and American Idol. Those are the ones I watched. I also watched a few other reality shows, but they were not as bad as the ones today.

I saw Fear Factor, Weakest Link Survivor and American Idol.

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/28/14 at 6:27 pm

I remember the hair. It was after the spikes and before the bieberbang thing. Most guys at school grew it out a bit without doing anything with it. I had quite a big curly mess.

flip phones; youtube started. Did anyone play runescape? It was popular in 2005. Besides that I don't remember a lot.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/28/14 at 6:42 pm

I remember the hair. It was after the spikes and before the bieberbang thing. Most guys at school grew it out a bit without doing anything with it. I had quite a big curly mess.

flip phones; youtube started. Did anyone play runescape? It was popular in 2005. Besides that I don't remember a lot.

Frosted hair, spiked with gel....yep! That screams 2000's! I've heard of Runescape, but don't know what it was about.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/28/14 at 8:35 pm

I saw Fear Factor, Weakest Link Survivor and American Idol.
I remember from the weakest link "you are the weakest link goodbye"  and for fear factor, everyone who went on that show were brave, but some couldn't handle some of the things they had to eat.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/28/14 at 8:42 pm

I remember from the weakest link "you are the weakest link goodbye"  and for fear factor, everyone who went on that show were brave, but some couldn't handle some of the things they had to eat.

I'd be out at the food part too.  8-P

Written By: Visor765 on 06/28/14 at 10:30 pm

For some reason the most boring part of the decade, pop culturally.

I'm not asking for opinions, I'm asking for facts.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/28/14 at 10:47 pm

I'd be out at the food part too.  8-P
Same here, unless it is something i can digest.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/29/14 at 3:42 am

Same here, unless it is something i can digest.

Yeah, seeing how many animal parts you can eat and how fast is off putting.

Written By: Howard on 06/29/14 at 2:30 pm

and sometimes you were surrounded in a vat of something awful, like spiders or ants! :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/29/14 at 3:05 pm

and sometimes you were surrounded in a vat of something awful, like spiders or ants! :P
I know. Thats hardcore right there.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/30/14 at 2:38 am

I'm not asking for opinions, I'm asking for facts.

It is a fact  8)

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/30/14 at 9:20 am

Fear factor was so interesting; those living spiders for dinner :o

Emo's; bling bling teeth; better economy.

Written By: Visor765 on 06/30/14 at 10:38 am

It is a fact  8)

No, it is an opinion.

Fact: The sky is blue.
Opinion: The sky looks boring.

Written By: Howard on 06/30/14 at 2:20 pm

Fear factor was so interesting; those living spiders for dinner :o

Emo's; bling bling teeth; better economy.

http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/siowfa12/assets_c/2012/09/Fear-Factor-Scorpions-thumb-360x225-339634.jpg

anybody would like a cricket? :P

Written By: Howard on 06/30/14 at 2:23 pm

http://www.everseradio.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/8sim5.jpg

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/30/14 at 9:21 pm

http://www.personal.psu.edu/afr3/blogs/siowfa12/assets_c/2012/09/Fear-Factor-Scorpions-thumb-360x225-339634.jpg

anybody would like a cricket? :P

That looks like a scorpion.  :o

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/01/14 at 2:48 am

Fact: The sky is blue.

Even this is debatable. Go on Wikipedia or take a lexicon, if you want facts.  :D

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/14 at 3:38 am

What were the mid 2000s anyway? I mean, I know the music of course, but the hairstyles, the tv shows, the fashion, and the video games are pretty undefined. I always though of them as very different from the late 2000s (because they are), and I believe they have more in common with the early years. I guess it's just because they're old to the point where they're outdated but not retro, so they're like a shadow that passes through you. I don't understand, can you define the mid 2000s for me?

Culturally, the mid 00's represented a really important moment in history for a number of reasons. First off, the creation and popularization of YouTube, MySpace and Twitter marked the beginning of the transition from the so-called "Web 1.0" of the 90's and early 00's, to the "Web 2.0" of today. Secondly, from a political standpoint, the country began to shift away from it's post-9/11 conservatism as the administration of George W. Bush became increasingly unpopular, something that would result in the election of Barack Obama in 2008.

In some ways, the mid 00's are now starting to feel like sort of the last gasp of the "old era" so to speak. They were the last years before smartphones and tablets, before VHS tapes and CD players completely became relics of the past, and before faster internet connections became the norm, which allowed for the explosion of everything from video sharing, to iTunes, to social networking. Heck, even broadcast television was still a much larger factor then as compared to now. Good luck getting 50 million people to tune in to watch a single show on network TV these days like the "Friends" finale did back in 2004.

As far as the styles and trends of the era, I was in college at the time so this is certainly something I can speak to. The whole "emo kid" thing never really reached critical mass, at least around here. Nu Metal was certainly long dead though, as most kids I knew that didn't listen to hip hop were big into The White Stripes and groups of that ilk. The gaming scene was still dominated by the PlayStation 2, although by 2006, hype over the Xbox 360, and the high price point of the PS3, had damaged Sony's standing somewhat.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/01/14 at 4:45 am

Culturally, the mid 00's represented a really important moment in history for a number of reasons. First off, the creation and popularization of YouTube, MySpace and Twitter marked the beginning of the transition from the so-called "Web 1.0" of the 90's and early 00's, to the "Web 2.0" of today. Secondly, from a political standpoint, the country began to shift away from it's post-9/11 conservatism as the administration of George W. Bush became increasingly unpopular, something that would result in the election of Barack Obama in 2008.

In some ways, the mid 00's are now starting to feel like sort of the last gasp of the "old era" so to speak. They were the last years before smartphones and tablets, before VHS tapes and CD players completely became relics of the past, and before faster internet connections became the norm, which allowed for the explosion of everything from video sharing, to iTunes, to social networking. Heck, even broadcast television was still a much larger factor then as compared to now. Good luck getting 50 million people to tune in to watch a single show on network TV these days like the "Friends" finale did back in 2004.

As far as the styles and trends of the era, I was in college at the time so this is certainly something I can speak to. The whole "emo kid" thing never really reached critical mass, at least around here. Nu Metal was certainly long dead though, as most kids I knew that didn't listen to hip hop were big into The White Stripes and groups of that ilk. The gaming scene was still dominated by the PlayStation 2, although by 2006, hype over the Xbox 360, and the high price point of the PS3, had damaged Sony's standing somewhat.

Nu-metal was popular even into the mid 00s but typically from people of class of 05 or before.  The White Stripes were Big and so were bands like Jet for people not into the rap at the time.

The emo kid thing was huge in the mid-late 00s. You would go to the mall and see so many of them hanging out, especially outside Hot Topic.
They were also all over MySpace.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/14 at 2:34 pm

That looks like a scorpion.  :o

I think it's a scorpion.

Written By: Howard on 07/01/14 at 2:37 pm

First off, the creation and popularization of YouTube, MySpace and Twitter marked the beginning of the transition from the so-called "Web 1.0" of the 90's and early 00's, to the "Web 2.0" of today.

and a decade later, YouTube, MySpace and Twitter are quite popular now.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 07/01/14 at 2:44 pm

Nu-metal was popular even into the mid 00s but typically from people of class of 05 or before.  The White Stripes were Big and so were bands like Jet for people not into the rap at the time.

The emo kid thing was huge in the mid-late 00s. You would go to the mall and see so many of them hanging out, especially outside Hot Topic.
They were also all over MySpace.

Yeah, I was in the Class of '05, and Nu Metal was no doubt a huge deal when I was still in school. It was massive up through 2003, but it was noticeably starting to peter out by the end of my senior year. Limp Bizkit pretty much ceased to exist after their disastrous cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" in 2003, and I'm pretty sure Linkin Park's last hit (before they changed their sound) was "Numb" in 2004. Emo was massive, especially around 2006 and 2007, but never had as much impact here locally as it did nationally.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/01/14 at 4:11 pm

I remember Evanescence and symphonic metal like Within Temptation being popular here.
I miss that dark atmosphere, and metal bands with female singers.

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/01/14 at 9:51 pm

Yeah, I was in the Class of '05, and Nu Metal was no doubt a huge deal when I was still in school. It was massive up through 2003, but it was noticeably starting to peter out by the end of my senior year. Limp Bizkit pretty much ceased to exist after their disastrous cover of "Behind Blue Eyes" in 2003, and I'm pretty sure Linkin Park's last hit (before they changed their sound) was "Numb" in 2004. Emo was massive, especially around 2006 and 2007, but never had as much impact here locally as it did nationally.

Limp Bizkit isn't metal in my book. They've got too much rap influence and aren't hard enough to truly be metal, no matter what they're style is called. I liked their Chocolate Starfish songs, but they went downhill. The late 90's was their heydey.

Nu Metal would be more Apartment 26, Union Underground, Papa Roach, Disturbed, Mudvyane, Drowning Pool, Godsmack, Soil, etc. In the middle of the decade alternative rock bands with less of a heavy sound were played more often on the radio. Bands that used to be more on the metal side changed their style too. Rob Zombie used to sound very different until Educated Horses. Some songs were catchy, but it wasn't the same as his more horror influenced days.

Hurt was one of the alternative bands, with songs like Rapture and Falls Apart. Flyleaf is another band I was hearing alot of. Fully Alive was the song played the most, but they've done good cover songs by others. There is a version of a NIN song sung by that woman and it's different. I know she has the kind of voice that can be hit or miss though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/14 at 4:53 am

I think it's a scorpion.
Agreed, it is a scorpion.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/03/14 at 12:51 pm

If that's true, then the George Bush administration didn't start to become unpopular until about 2006. George Bush got re-elected in 2004, crushing John Kerry. It was obvious from the results he was still popular.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/14 at 2:00 pm

Mid 2000's were 2003-2007. 03-05 was pretty different from 05-07, but overall the mid 00's were most remembered by: MySpace, Flip Phones and phones with a physical keyboard, Netbooks, Harry Potter movies, baggier clothing, DVDs and CDS still in popularity, IPod Nanos, Livestrong bracelets, Hannah Montanna, Highschool Musical, Black Eyed Peas when they were still good, Hip Hop music, Rihanna, Pussycat Dolls, MSN still in popularity and Desktops more common in households as main computer device. Mid 00's are starting to get really dated now. But especially for me because I was 8-12 years old at that time so it was a big part of my childhood.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/03/14 at 2:26 pm

03-05 was pretty different from 05-07,

This actually means that 05 was different from 05 and that's weird. If you want to compare years, then leave at least a gap of 2-4 years in between.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/14 at 2:38 pm

This actually means that 05 was different from 05 and that's weird. If you want to compare years, then leave at least a gap of 2-4 years in between.

Well first half of 05 was different from second half. So I meant exactly what I wrote. XD

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/03/14 at 2:51 pm

Well first half of 05 was different from second half. So I meant exactly what I wrote. XD

yeah, really.... on July 1st everything changed, or what?

Written By: Howard on 07/03/14 at 3:21 pm

MySpace, Flip Phones and phones with a physical keyboard, Netbooks, Harry Potter movies, baggier clothing, DVDs and CDS still in popularity, IPod Nanos, Livestrong bracelets, Hannah Montanna, Highschool Musical, Black Eyed Peas when they were still good, Hip Hop music, Rihanna, Pussycat Dolls, MSN still in popularity and Desktops more common in households as main computer device.

I agree with this.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/03/14 at 3:27 pm

Mid 2000's were 2003-2007. 03-05 was pretty different from 05-07, but overall the mid 00's were most remembered by: MySpace, Flip Phones and phones with a physical keyboard, Netbooks, Harry Potter movies, baggier clothing, DVDs and CDS still in popularity, IPod Nanos, Livestrong bracelets, Hannah Montanna, Highschool Musical, Black Eyed Peas when they were still good, Hip Hop music, Rihanna, Pussycat Dolls, MSN still in popularity and Desktops more common in households as main computer device. Mid 00's are starting to get really dated now. But especially for me because I was 8-12 years old at that time so it was a big part of my childhood.
The bold part is true for me too except I was 10-14 during that era and Hannah Montana and Ipod Nanos are more of a late 00s thing.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/03/14 at 4:18 pm

Hanna montana is really late 00s. It feels like
"after my time" though I was 15 in 2007.

Further: still bulky computer screens;
World of warcraft, sim city iv.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/14 at 4:21 pm

The bold part is true for me too except I was 10-14 during that era and Hannah Montana and Ipod Nanos are more of a late 00s thing.

You're right about Hannah Montanna though it was released in 2006. But IPod Nanos are totally a mid 00's thing they were popular in 2004. IPod touches are late 00's though.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/03/14 at 4:47 pm

You're right about Hannah Montanna though it was released in 2006. But IPod Nanos are totally a mid 00's thing they were popular in 2004. IPod touches are late 00's though.
The nanos at that time were called the Ipod Mini then sometime later on, Apple changed the name. Hannah Montana is accurate as a late 00s thing because thats when Miley Cyrus started to get popular and people started to know who she was. 

Hanna montana is really late 00s. It feels like
"after my time" though I was 15 in 2007.

Further: still bulky computer screens;
World of warcraft, sim city iv.
Same here, I feel like Hannah Montana is after my time as well even though I was 14 in '07 as I actually stopped watching the Disney Channel (in 2003 or 2004) way before Miley's show premiered.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/03/14 at 9:44 pm

Mid 2000's were 2003-2007.

Actually the mid 2000s were 2004-2006.

03-05 was pretty different from 05-07

I personally think 2005 and 2006 were the same as before. I personally think the mid 2000s have more in common with the early 2000s than with the late 2000s, as opposed to the 90s.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/03/14 at 10:08 pm

Actually the mid 2000s were 2004-2006.

I personally think 2005 and 2006 were the same as before. I personally think the mid 2000s have more in common with the early 2000s than with the late 2000s, as opposed to the 90s.

No it does not. It's simple math...
Mid 2000's start in the middle of 2003... Therefore it's 2003-2007.

Yeah the rest I pretty much agree with.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/03/14 at 11:08 pm

No it does not. It's simple math...
Mid 2000's start in the middle of 2003... Therefore it's 2003-2007.

Yeah the rest I pretty much agree with.

If you mention math, you have to do it correctly  ;D
April 03 - September 06, so it's actually 2003-2006.

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/09/14 at 5:11 am

"An Inconvenient Truth" - Al Gore

Written By: Visor765 on 08/03/14 at 1:19 pm

I know that drunk and snap music was HUGE, as well as pop rock. Regardless, there were still hip hop songs that weren't southern. Here are some lists:

Crunk & Snap:
Usher - Yeah!
Ciara - Goodies
Ciara - Oh
Chris Brown - Run It!
Ciara - Get Up
Cherish - Do It to It

Hip Hop/R&B:
Cassie - Me & U
Mis-Teeq - Scandalous
Amerie - One Thing
Lloyd - You
Rihanna - Pon de Replay
Terror Squad? - 99 Problems
Jay Z - 99 Problems
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
50 Cent - Candy Shop

Pop Rock:
Hhobastank - The Reason
Ryan Cabrera - On the Way Down
Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me
Simple Plan - Welcome to My Life
Switchfoot - Dare You to Move
Ashlee Simpson - Pieces of Me
Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/09/14 at 5:07 pm

Same here, I feel like Hannah Montana is after my time as well even though I was 14 in '07 as I actually stopped watching the Disney Channel (in 2003 or 2004) way before Miley's show premiered.

I don't think that sentiment is all that unusual. My younger brother was around that same age at the time, and he's said before that he didn't really know of anybody in his class that was into the "Hannah Montana" fad. My perception has always been that the whole "HM" thing was mostly focused on kids that were in junior high in the late '00s.

On a related note, the mid '00s to me is when the Disney Channel really fell off a cliff from a quality standpoint. Granted, my favorite era for the channel was when we first got it on cable back in the mid '90s (back when they showed then-current shows on the Disney Afternoon, but still frequently aired classic Mickey cartoons from the '50s and before as well), but it was still quite watchable up through the early 00's.

Of course, I'm about 15 years outside of the DC's intended viewing audience, so I guess I'm not supposed to like it. ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/09/14 at 5:09 pm

I know that drunk and snap music was HUGE, as well as pop rock. Regardless, there were still hip hop songs that weren't southern. Here are some lists:

Crunk & Snap:
Usher - Yeah!
Ciara - Goodies
Ciara - Oh
Chris Brown - Run It!
Ciara - Get Up
Cherish - Do It to It

Hip Hop/R&B:
Cassie - Me & U
Mis-Teeq - Scandalous
Amerie - One Thing
Lloyd - You
Rihanna - Pon de Replay
Terror Squad? - 99 Problems
Jay Z - 99 Problems
Gwen Stefani - Hollaback Girl
50 Cent - Candy Shop

Pop Rock:
Hhobastank - The Reason
Ryan Cabrera - On the Way Down
Avril Lavigne - Don't Tell Me
Simple Plan - Welcome to My Life
Switchfoot - Dare You to Move
Ashlee Simpson - Pieces of Me
Kelly Clarkson - Since U Been Gone

That's pure mid-00s music right there!

Written By: 80sfan on 08/09/14 at 5:15 pm

Ten years. Now divide ten by three, and that's three and one third.

So the first three years are definitely the early 00s, no doubt. Then you have to add one third of a year to it, which is four months. Four times three is twelve months, which is a year. Now do you understand the math? The four months is the 'one third' part of the math.

So 2000, 2001, and 2002 is the 'three' part of the math. Then you add four months, so that's May 1, 2003.

So the mid-00s started in 2003, not 2004. May 1, 2003 to be precise.

The mid-00s began May 1, 2003 to August 31, 2006. 2003 to 2006 is the mid-00s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/09/14 at 8:44 pm

I don't think that sentiment is all that unusual. My younger brother was around that same age at the time, and he's said before that he didn't really know of anybody in his class that was into the "Hannah Montana" fad. My perception has always been that the whole "HM" thing was mostly focused on kids that were in junior high in the late '00s.

On a related note, the mid '00s to me is when the Disney Channel really fell off a cliff from a quality standpoint. Granted, my favorite era for the channel was when we first got it on cable back in the mid '90s (back when they showed then-current shows on the Disney Afternoon, but still frequently aired classic Mickey cartoons from the '50s and before as well), but it was still quite watchable up through the early 00's.

Of course, I'm about 15 years outside of the DC's intended viewing audience, so I guess I'm not supposed to like it. ;)
I think you're right. I didnt know anyone in high school who watched HM either so it had to be for middle schoolers of the late 00s as I was in Jr High in the mid 00s and like before, I actually stopped watching the Disney Channel 2 or 3 years before that show came on. Second, I agree with you, I feel like the late 90s/early 00s DC era was mine favorite too as that when I was watching the channel all the time along with Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, PBS, ABC Kids, Fox Kids, Kids WB and ABC/Fox Family.

Yes, thats also true the people who are not the target audience arent supposed to like shows that air on there, but there are some people who are 16 and older that watch those shows (and others intended for kids) and dont care how old they are.

Ten years. Now divide ten by three, and that's three and one third.

So the first three years are definitely the early 00s, no doubt. Then you have to add one third of a year to it, which is four months. Four times three is twelve months, which is a year. Now do you understand the math? The four months is the 'one third' part of the math.

So 2000, 2001, and 2002 is the 'three' part of the math. Then you add four months, so that's May 1, 2003.

So the mid-00s started in 2003, not 2004. May 1, 2003 to be precise.

The mid-00s began May 1, 2003 to August 31, 2006. 2003 to 2006 is the mid-00s.
The 3 year in a decade is still considered completely the early part because it still has leftover things from an earlier one and the fact that is the 3rd number that most people count from while the 6 year is still considered completely the middle as it is the 6th number when counting 1-10. Also, another way decades are divided is put it into 3 parts with 3 years each (early, middle and late).

For example:

Early 00s - 2001-2003
Middle 00s - 2004-2006
Late 00s - 2007-2009

In some places, the 0 year is placed with the previous decade in which for instance:

1981-1990

1991-2000

2001-2010

Written By: Visor765 on 08/09/14 at 10:32 pm

I think you're right. I didnt know anyone in high school who watched HM either so it had to be for middle schoolers of the late 00s as I was in Jr High in the mid 00s and like before, I actually stopped watching the Disney Channel 2 or 3 years before that show came on. Second, I agree with you, I feel like the late 90s/early 00s DC era was mine favorite too as that when I was watching the channel all the time along with Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, PBS, ABC Kids, Fox Kids, Kids WB and ABC/Fox Family.

Yes, thats also true the people who are not the target audience arent supposed to like shows that air on there, but there are some people who are 16 and older that watch those shows (and others intended for kids) and dont care how old they are.
The 3 year in a decade is still considered completely the early part because it still has leftover things from an earlier one and the fact that is the 3rd number that most people count from while the 6 year is still considered completely the middle as it is the 6th number when counting 1-10. Also, another way decades are divided is put it into 3 parts with 3 years each (early, middle and late).

For example:

Early 00s - 2001-2003
Middle 00s - 2004-2006
Late 00s - 2007-2009

In some places, the 0 year is placed with the previous decade in which for instance:

1981-1990

1991-2000

2001-2010

Uh, 1990 isn't 80s. It doesn't say "nineteen eighty-(something)" anywhere. That's why the zero year is the beginning of the decade. A baby isn't automatically a year old once it's born.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/09/14 at 11:36 pm

Uh, 1990 isn't 80s. It doesn't say "nineteen eighty-(something)" anywhere. That's why the zero year is the beginning of the decade. A baby isn't automatically a year old once it's born.
In some asian places, they are 1 when they are born. Yes, even though the zero is at the beginning, but when people count, it goes from 1-10. Once again in some places, people start the decade at the 1 year instead of the 0 year. Last, even if 1990 isnt 80s, it technically is as the culture doesn't just end there because as time goes on, it gradually changes. Things to also consider is that in 1990, there was still 80s music band/artists, lots of 80s fashion, the NES was popular, 80s sports players, and the cold war.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 3:57 am

1981-1990

1991-2000

2001-2010

This is true, but in this case, people do not talk about 80s, 90s or 00s respectively. It is just a simple decade (10 years) without a name. 2001-2010 for example is the first decade of the 21st century and 1991-2000 was the last decade of the 20th century.

If you are talking about a decade which is called '80s', then the years 1980-89 are meant.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 4:02 am

For example:

Early 00s - 2001-2003
Middle 00s - 2004-2006
Late 00s - 2007-2009

That does not make sense. 2000 is also part of the '00s decade'. Of course, there is also a 2001-2010 or even a 2002-2011 or 2003-2012 decade, but only to indicate a simple row of 10 years.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 4:03 am

Things to also consider is that in 1990, there was still 80s music band/artists, lots of 80s fashion, the NES was popular, 80s sports players, and the cold war.

You mix a lot of things up here.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/14 at 9:40 am

This is true, but in this case, people do not talk about 80s, 90s or 00s respectively. It is just a simple decade (10 years) without a name. 2001-2010 for example is the first decade of the 21st century and 1991-2000 was the last decade of the 20th century.

If you are talking about a decade which is called '80s', then the years 1980-89 are meant.
I've heard like that before thats why in some places, people use the 1 as the first year and the 0 as the last year of a decade. And I know what people are talking about when they say 80s, 90s, and 00s, but there is something I have analyzed, when people are talking about decades of pop culture, I noticed that it's mostly the middle part they talk about and not the early or late side. For instance, when people talk about the 90s, they mention grunge, Gangsta rap, flannels, bowl cuts, hi-top fades, movies that were popular at the time, AC music, overalls, scrunchies, dance music and other crazy fashion, but that was the main 90s and not the early or late part.

You mix a lot of things up here.
What do you mean?

Written By: Visor765 on 08/10/14 at 11:25 am

Last, even if 1990 isnt 80s, it technically is as the culture doesn't just end there because as time goes on, it gradually changes..

Actually no, technically 1990 is 90s. It is calendar-wise part of the  1990s. It is only 80s indirectly, due to spillover from the late parts.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/14 at 12:01 pm

Actually no, technically 1990 is 90s. It is calendar-wise part of the  1990s. It is only 80s indirectly, due to spillover from the late parts.
I agree with it being calendar wise, but it is mostly 80s because the 90s culture didnt exist yet. Heres the quote I said why it's still 80s.

Things to also consider is that in 1990, there was still 80s music band/artists, lots of 80s fashion, the NES was popular, 80s sports players, and the cold war.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 1:04 pm

What do you mean?

Just because 1990 was still kind of 80s, it is not part of the '80s decade'. 1981-90 was indeed a 'decade', but it's only an arbitrary span of 10 years. This has nothing to do with the pop cultural definition of decades (70s, 80s, 90s and so on). "Pop cultural" decades always refer to the 0-year of a decade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/14 at 1:58 pm

Just because 1990 was still kind of 80s, it is not part of the '80s decade'. 1981-90 was indeed a 'decade', but it's only an arbitrary span of 10 years. This has nothing to do with the pop cultural definition of decades (70s, 80s, 90s and so on). "Pop cultural" decades always refer to the 0-year of a decade.
Is it because during the 0 year, there are important changes?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/10/14 at 2:06 pm

No, it's because 80s is based on 1980, 90s on 1990 and 00s on 2000.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/10/14 at 2:24 pm

No, it's because 80s is based on 1980, 90s on 1990 and 00s on 2000.
I thought pop culture referred to the whole decade, not just the 0 year.

Written By: Howard on 08/10/14 at 2:35 pm

exactly 1989 is the last of the 80's, 1990 is the start of the 90's.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/11/14 at 9:57 pm

There is nothing really special about a 0 year of a decade.  Some decades like the 1980s and 2010s see a significant cultural change around the 0 year while others, such as the 60s and the 90s, don't see their shift until later in the decade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/11/14 at 11:05 pm

There is nothing really special about a 0 year of a decade.  Some decades like the 1980s and 2010s see a significant cultural change around the 0 year while others, such as the 60s and the 90s, don't see their shift until later in the decade.
I can see that. You're right because not every decade is going to have their shift at the beginning. I was reading about the 90s, and some people that the culture didnt start until 1993/94.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/12/14 at 4:23 am

I can see that. You're right because not every decade is going to have their shift at the beginning. I was reading about the 90s, and some people that the culture didnt start until 1993/94.

But the decade is called 90s because it started with 1990. That's what I meant earlier!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/14 at 9:42 am

But the decade is called 90s because it started with 1990. That's what I meant earlier!
It did calendar wise, but not culture wise. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/12/14 at 10:08 am

It did calendar wise, but not culture wise.

There is early 90s culture (which is similar to late 80s culture) , peak 90s culture and late 90s culture . Everything happened in the 1990s.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/12/14 at 11:56 am

There is early 90s culture (which is similar to late 80s culture) , peak 90s culture and late 90s culture . Everything happened in the 1990s.

I was about to post this earlier.  There are three distinct cultural eras in the 1990s.  There were distinct differences between the part of the decade when George H.W. Bush was still President, the core of the decade, and the late-90s "dot-com" era.  It was a very changeful time and the only other decade I can think of where so much changes so quickly was the 1960s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/12/14 at 1:47 pm

Some of 1993 also has early 90s culture. Some 1993 episodes of some shows had early 90s fashion.

I was about to post this earlier.  There are three distinct cultural eras in the 1990s.  There were distinct differences between the part of the decade when George H.W. Bush was still President, the core of the decade, and the late-90s "dot-com" era.  It was a very changeful time and the only other decade I can think of where so much changes so quickly was the 1960s.
Thats true. there was a gradual change throughout the decade with everything from fashion, video games, technology, music, movies, TV shows, and politics.

Also, to both of you, even though Clinton was president for most of 1993, the culture didn't just change on his first day of president of the U.S., it took some months to switch from the early 90s to main 90s since time gradually changes.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/12/14 at 2:51 pm

Some of 1993 also has early 90s culture.

Yes, I agree. 1993 is the last real 'old school' year of the 90s. You could easily say that early 90s culture was from 1990-93.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/13/14 at 1:32 am

There were actually some 90ish things floating around in 1990.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/13/14 at 3:43 am

There were actually some 90ish things floating around in 1990.

Not only in 1990. Even in 1989 and 1988.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/14/14 at 1:30 am

Not only in 1990. Even in 1989 and 1988.

Agreed.

Written By: the2001 on 08/14/14 at 1:39 am

mid 2000s were classic

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/14/14 at 10:43 pm

If that's true, then the George Bush administration didn't start to become unpopular until about 2006. George Bush got re-elected in 2004, crushing John Kerry. It was obvious from the results he was still popular.

Yeah, Bush was still quite popular for most of 2004. Per the American Presidency Project site, he was still at about 60% approval on January 1, 2004, due in part to the fact that Saddam Hussein had just been captured. The turning point for Bush really came in the summer of 2005, when violence in Iraq began to increase, Hurricane Katrina hit and the Harriet Miers debacle happened. In the beginning of that summer he was hovering around 50% approval, and by late September he'd dropped to 39%.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/17/17 at 4:34 pm

When I stumbled across this thread a few hours ago, I couldn't help but share my thoughts on the Mid 2000s, especially seeing as though I experienced my childhood in the time period.

In my opinion, the Mid 2000s were never really it's 'own era'. The Mid 2000s were simply a transition from the Y2K/Early 2000s culture to the culture of the later proportion of the decade. It's not a coincidence that the Mid 2000s are often overlooked when people are nostalgic for 2000s culture. Unlike the core parts of other decades, such as the Mid 1970s and Mid 1980s, the Mid 2000s never had a strong identity and it's evident when people try to talk about the culture of the time period.

People generally associate flip phones and MP3s with the Mid 2000s, but they remained popular well into the Late 2000s. They were never unique to the Mid 2000s. Also, I think people sometimes overestimate the influence emo culture had on the era. Whilst it was undeniably a popular fashion trend, generally speaking, it was only ever really popular between 2005-2007. Even though it didn't truly die-off until the Early 2010s, by 2008, it was no longer a popular mainstream fashion trend. Emo culture never had the same impact as other cultures had, such as the Punk era of the 70s, the psychedelic era of the Late 60s or even the Hipster culture, which was popular in the Early/Mid 2010s.

It's unquestionable that Web 2.0 was a significant development in the evolution of the world wide web and society, however the social media websites which had launched or were already popular at the time, are not something unique to the Mid 2000s. Myspace remained popular well until the end of the decade. YouTube and Facebook did not achieve popularity among the general public until 2007 and 2008 respectively.

A lot of the television programs which were popular at the time, were simply shows which had started in the 90s/Early 2000s and were about to end their run, such as Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond and Malcolm in the Middle. Apart from How I Met Your Mother and 30 Rock, I personally can't think of any shows which started in the Mid 2000s and remained popular for an extended period of time.

As for gaming consoles, the consoles which were popular at the time were first released in the Early 2000s. The PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and Gameboy Advance SP all launched in the Early 2000s. The Mid 2000s were simply a transition from 6th generation consoles to 7th generation consoles. Even though the Nintendo Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 launched in the Mid 2000s, personally I believe the consoles are more associated with the Late 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/17 at 6:38 pm

John Cena
PSP
Crunk rap
Flared jeans
Popped collars
Paris Hilton
Lost
Desperate Housewives
The whale tail
Crazy Frog
Flip phones
Chavs
David Beckham
FIFA World Cup 2006
Flash minigames
Black Eyed Peas
50 Cent
Usher
Akon
Gwen Stefani
Kelly Clarkson
2004 election / George W, Bush / Tony Blair / Iraq War
Asian Tsunami
High oil prices
Al-Qaeda terrorist attacks in Europe
PS2
God of War
Grand Theft Auto
Need for Speed
The Sims 2, SimCity 4
Counterstrike
World of Warcraft
LAN parties
MySpace / Bebo / Hi5 / Orkut / Friendster etc.
Early YouTube
Wikipedia
iPods
Limewire
Pimp My Ride
Top Gear

A few things off the top of my head. The daily life of a mid-2000s preteen/early teen boy ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 02/17/17 at 7:10 pm

A lot of the television programs which were popular at the time, were simply shows which had started in the 90s/Early 2000s and were about to end their run, such as Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond and Malcolm in the Middle. Apart from How I Met Your Mother and 30 Rock, I personally can't think of any shows which started in the Mid 2000s and remained popular for an extended period of time.

As for gaming consoles, the consoles which were popular at the time were first released in the Early 2000s. The PS2, Xbox, Gamecube and Gameboy Advance SP all launched in the Early 2000s. The Mid 2000s were simply a transition from 6th generation consoles to 7th generation consoles. Even though the Nintendo Wii, PS3 and Xbox 360 launched in the Mid 2000s, personally I believe the consoles are more associated with the Late 2000s.

Everybody Hate's Chris is another one of the only shows that started in the mid 2000's I can think of that remained popular for an extended period of time along with How I Met Your Mother and 30 Rock. The Wii and the PS3 launched in the late 2000's (November 2006). Although, the Wii was the most popular 7th gen console of the late 2000's while the PS3 was the most popular 7th gen console of the early 2010's. The XBOX 360 was popular throughout most of 7th gen's entire run (2007-2013). I think part of the reason the mid 2000's didn't have a cultural identity is also because it was sooo short. When you think about it the heart of mid 2000's culture only lasted 2 seasons which were 2004-05 and 2005-06, while the early 2000's and late 2000's lasted 3 or 4 seasons and still had a lot of influences from those cultures inside and out of its main periods. The mid 2000's still had leftover influence as late as 2007 or early 2008 before the major cultural shift.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/17 at 7:39 pm

Wasn't the mid-00s when there was a new kind of cell phone every five months, or something?     

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/17 at 7:49 pm

Wasn't the mid-00s when there was a new kind of cell phone every five months, or something?   

Flip phones, brick, candy bar, clamshell, slider, PDA etc.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/17/17 at 7:55 pm

Flip phones, brick, candy bar, clamshell, slider, PDA etc.

So that's a yes?  :-X  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/17 at 7:56 pm

Mockingbird by Eminem is legendary!

S9bCLPwzSC0

And Gold Digger by Kanye West ;D

6vwNcNOTVzY

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/17 at 8:04 pm

So that's a yes?  :-X  :-X

Those brick Nokia phones were king from 2003-2005ish. Flip phones started becoming popular in 2003 from what I remember, and were dominant by mid-2005, and they had cameras and MP3 capabilities. Candy bar phones were popular too. Vertical sliders got popular in 2006ish from what I remember. In 2007/08 while flip phones were still popular, they were losing marketshare to horizontal sliders. PDAs were really popular for brief period of time in 2006-2008, but only among business types, not generally. That's all from recollection, I don't have any stats on me ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/17/17 at 8:17 pm

What about It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Heroes, Dexter, Prison Break, and The Apprentice? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 02/17/17 at 8:51 pm

Culturally, the mid 2000s were from 2003 - 2007. It was quite a long era in the 00s.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/17/17 at 9:27 pm

2003 felt more like an early 2000s year rather than mid 2000s to me, but that may just be the way American pop culture progressed. Maybe time moves faster in your liberal winter wonderland. ;D

To me it felt much more mid 2000s. That's the year MTV shows like Punk'd came out (which is American). Early 00s Disney shows like Lizzie Mcguire got canceled too.The overall vibe of the mid 00s started that year. It felt different from 2002.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/17/17 at 10:04 pm

To me it felt much more mid 2000s. That's the year MTV shows like Punk'd came out (which is American). Early 00s Disney shows like Lizzie Mcguire got canceled too.The overall vibe of the mid 00s started that year. It felt different from 2002.

Lizzie mcguire got cancelled in 2004

Written By: mqg96 on 02/17/17 at 10:20 pm

Lizzie McGuire ended in February 2004, so the show was still relevant throughout all of 2003 and the movie came out in 2003 too which was a huge part of the early 2000's. Early & mid 2003 felt the same as 2002. Only late 2003 felt more like 2004.

Man I'll never forget that thread when Jordan, UltraGameDog, and I did this huge 2003 chart with the early 2000's culture that was still relevant and the new mid 2000's culture that was coming in.

Written By: 2001 on 02/17/17 at 10:52 pm

What about It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Heroes, Dexter, Prison Break, and The Apprentice? ???

Heroes and Dexter were late 2000s, but Prison Break and The Apprentice are definitely iconic! There's also Lost, Scrubs, Grey's Anatomy, The Office, Arrested Development and many others. Critics consider the mid-2000s to be the beginning of the "Golden Age of Television" and I happen to agree. In mid-2004 when some '90s staples like Friends, Becker and Frasier went off the air and in late 2004 when Lost and Desperate Housewives premiered, you could tell we were in a new age of television (although it didn't fully get underway until late 2005) :o The average budget for TV shows skyrocketed after that.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/17/17 at 11:17 pm

Lizzie mcguire got cancelled in 2004

Sorry you're right about that. That show lasted a long time then even if it only had 2 seasons.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/17/17 at 11:20 pm

Lizzie McGuire ended in February 2004, so the show was still relevant throughout all of 2003 and the movie came out in 2003 too which was a huge part of the early 2000's. Early & mid 2003 felt the same as 2002. Only late 2003 felt more like 2004.

Man I'll never forget that thread when Jordan, UltraGameDog, and I did this huge 2003 chart with the early 2000's culture that was still relevant and the new mid 2000's culture that was coming in.

Yeah you're right about that, but new music and new MTV shows (such as Punk'd as I mentioned before) all started in 2003. The biggest hit of 2003 (In Da Club) sounds compeltely different than the popular rap songs of 2002. Same as Where is the Love by the Black Eyed Peas. There was just a whole different vibe starting in 2003, the entire fear of the war after 9/11 really started to escalate this year and 2002 felt very different from it. So yeah 2003 was the start of mid 00s, culturally and numerically, for me at least. But this is only one year apart, so a huge debate doesn't need to arise out of it.  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/17 at 12:38 am

Actually after doing some research, I discovered the Lizzie Mcguire finale was actually released in March 2003 called "Bye Bye Hillridge Junior High". The episodes up to 2004 were just episodes not shown yet but they stopped production and filming in 2003, so I would consider the show ending in 2003 as the finale was released early 2003 and everything was wrapped up with that show that year. (Same as the movie coming out that year).

Written By: anything on 02/18/17 at 12:59 am

Actually after doing some research, I discovered the Lizzie Mcguire finale was actually released in March 2003 called "Bye Bye Hillridge Junior High". The episodes up to 2004 were just episodes not shown yet but they stopped production and filming in 2003, so I would consider the show ending in 2003 as the finale was released early 2003 and everything was wrapped up with that show that year. (Same as the movie coming out that year).

Actually, production on the series ended in summer 2002 and the movie was filmed in fall 2002. In early 2003, there were early plans for a primetime series on ABC, but it didn't happen.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/18/17 at 1:01 am

Actually, production on the series ended in summer 2002 and the movie was filmed in fall 2002. In early 2003, there were early plans for a primetime series on ABC, but it didn't happen.

Okay that even furthers my point on how 2003 is disconnected from 2002.  :P

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/18/17 at 1:07 am

Production dates don't matter, it's when the piece of media is released that counts to the general public.

For instance, "Bad Day" is a 2005 song, not a 2002 one.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/17 at 8:41 am

The 2000s in Avril Lavigne eras.

The early 2000s: January 2000 - September 2002
The early (core) 2000s: September 2002 - February 2004
The mid-2000s: March 2004 - November 2006
The late 2000s: November 2006 - September 2009. Then, Paramore releases Brand New Eyes and becomes the new queen of rock!

;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/18/17 at 9:31 am

Not too long ago I was just binge watching some old Lizzie McGuire  episodes. Gotta say that I do like the vibe of the show. Really shows how early 2000s teen shows used to be. Even shows like That's So Raven. Although TSR is in a funny situation. Mid 2000s culture was starting in 2003. Although to me early-mid 2003 was the same as 2002. And TSR started to air in Jan 2003 which means production of episodes were made in around 2002. Basically what I'm getting at is the later episodes do have a slightly different vibe then the earlier ones. Nothing too drastic, but noticeable.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/18/17 at 9:43 am

The 2000s in Avril Lavigne eras.

The early 2000s: January 2000 - September 2002
The early (core) 2000s: September 2002 - February 2004
The mid-2000s: March 2004 - November 2006
The late 2000s: November 2006 - September 2009. Then, Paramore releases Brand New Eyes and becomes the new queen of rock!

;D

You're making it complicated!  :-X

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/17 at 9:49 am

You're making it complicated!  :-X

Don't try to tell me what to do, don't try to tell me what to say.  :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 02/18/17 at 10:06 am

Don't try to tell me what to do, don't try to tell me what to say.  :-X

So much for my happy ending.  :-[

Written By: mqg96 on 02/18/17 at 10:40 am

Not too long ago I was just binge watching some old Lizzie McGuire  episodes. Gotta say that I do like the vibe of the show. Really shows how early 2000s teen shows used to be. Even shows like That's So Raven. Although TSR is in a funny situation. Mid 2000s culture was starting in 2003. Although to me early-mid 2003 was the same as 2002. And TSR started to air in Jan 2003 which means production of episodes were made in around 2002. Basically what I'm getting at is the later episodes do have a slightly different vibe then the earlier ones. Nothing too drastic, but noticeable.

Season 2 of That's So Raven actually started in late 2003, which were filmed in 2003, and you could see the transition from the early 2000's vibe to the mid 2000's vibe throughout that season, but all the season 1 episodes which premiered throughout 2003 were filmed in 2002, and that entire season felt completely early 2000's. So you have a point there. Your opinion about the vibe of early-mid 2003 lines up with mine. I was never into Lizzie McGuire though (said this too many times by now), it was too girly for me and the middle school setting was boring although I knew guys who liked it. That's So Raven was the show that got me hooked into Disney Channel on a weekly basis because every episode felt so diverse with different situations, cultural backgrounds, and it was blended with perfect comedy. Similar to how the lineup of shows Cartoon Network had in late 2001/early 2002 got me hooked into the channel weekly at that time because of the variety of shows with different genres. It didn't feel the same all of them were different. That's So Raven was the show where every episode felt different even though it had a female lead, it still had that family feel to it, just like Even Stevens. (although I watched That's So Raven way more than Even Stevens) My youngest sister who's 8 binge-watched reruns of That's So Raven On Demand last summer and she really liked it and had never seen anything so adventurous before to the point where she ended up watching ALL the episodes.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/17 at 11:18 am

So much for my happy ending.  :-[

You're starting to trip, you're losing your grip, and you're in this thing alone  :-[

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/18/17 at 11:23 am

Season 2 of That's So Raven actually started in late 2003, which were filmed in 2003, and you could see the transition from the early 2000's vibe to the mid 2000's vibe throughout that season, but all the season 1 episodes which premiered throughout 2003 were filmed in 2002, and that entire season felt completely early 2000's. So you have a point there. Your opinion about the vibe of early-mid 2003 lines up with mine. I was never into Lizzie McGuire though (said this too many times by now), it was too girly for me and the middle school setting was boring although I knew guys who liked it. That's So Raven was the show that got me hooked into Disney Channel on a weekly basis because every episode felt so diverse with different situations, cultural backgrounds, and it was blended with perfect comedy. Similar to how the lineup of shows Cartoon Network had in late 2001/early 2002 got me hooked into the channel weekly at that time because of the variety of shows with different genres. It didn't feel the same all of them were different. That's So Raven was the show where every episode felt different even though it had a female lead, it still had that family feel to it, just like Even Stevens. (although I watched That's So Raven way more than Even Stevens) My youngest sister who's 8 binge-watched reruns of That's So Raven On Demand last summer and she really liked it and had never seen anything so adventurous before to the point where she ended up watching ALL the episodes.

Yeah, Season 1 and 2 of That's So Raven still had the early 2000's vibe to them. Compare them to the later episodes that aired in around 2006/7 and you'll see difference. Lizzie McGuire is one of those shows that I can see some not liking as it may be a bit girl-centric. But That's So Raven was as you've stated more of a family that just had a girl as the lead. So it was targeted for everyone. Also your younger sister binged watched TSR? If an 8 year old found the show to very adventures then makes the changes in Disney shows nowadays to be more noticeable to me. It reminds me of when my younger brother was watching Teen Titans GO (he's now 9 years old) and when the show ended I popped in a DVD of Teen Titans '03. He thought the '03 version was more cool as he liked the action in it.  ;D To me the show is a bit old, but to he found the show to be almost ancient saying things like "That version is too old" which makes sense as in 2003 he wasn't born yet. As of 2017 both Teen Titans and That So Raven are now 14 years old which is funny to me.  ;D

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/18/17 at 3:53 pm

As I mentioned before, the one early 2000s show that never really "got with the times" is Malcolm in the Middle. Perhaps it was all the better for it.

Even in the 2004-2006 episodes, the characters still spiked their hair and played on their Game Boy Colors with skater punk playing in the soundtrack, much like the 00-03 episodes. That doesn't really represent what was going on in 04-06, other than some minor holdovers. If anything, you'd expect them to be dying their hair black with piercings on their lips and playing their Nintendo DSes with My Chemical Romance on the soundtrack. :P

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/17 at 4:56 pm

As I mentioned before, the one early 2000s show that never really "got with the times" is Malcolm in the Middle. Perhaps it was all the better for it.

Even in the 2004-2006 episodes, the characters still spiked their hair and played on their Game Boy Colors with skater punk playing in the soundtrack, much like the 00-03 episodes. That doesn't really represent what was going on in 04-06, other than some minor holdovers. If anything, you'd expect them to be dying their hair black with piercings on their lips and playing their Nintendo DSes with My Chemical Romance on the soundtrack. :P

A lot of those trends were still very common in 2004-2006, and even 2007/2008, even if they weren't dominant. Don't believe Jordan's lies LOL!

It's like men's skinny jeans in 2017. It's past its early '10s heyday, and it's not the most popular thing out there, but hell if anyone argues that it's still not everywhere ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/18/17 at 5:11 pm

A lot of those trends were still very common in 2004-2006, and even 2007/2008, even if they weren't dominant. Don't believe Jordan's lies LOL!

It's like men's skinny jeans in 2017. It's past its early '10s heyday, and it's not the most popular thing out there, but hell if anyone argues that it's still not everywhere ;D

He's a Liberal, they lie! Just kidding!  ;)

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/17 at 5:12 pm

We call them Lieberals here in Ontario. You can't say we aren't creative!

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/18/17 at 6:35 pm

No, Jordan is a pure blooded conservative and a redpiller. :)

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 02/18/17 at 7:06 pm

You're absolutely right. However, the strange thing is, I can remember watching a 2005 or 2006 episode where Malcolm really wanted to purchase an Xbox 360, but he didn't have enough money, so he had to do chores for Hal. Maybe the Xbox 360 was released in the Early 2000s in their universe. :P

When I was typing up my original post, to be honest, I never even thought of the shows. However, I haven't heard of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia before.

2003 felt more like an early 2000s year rather than mid 2000s to me, but that may just be the way American pop culture progressed.

Overall, I believe 2003 was more of an Early 2000s year as well. I can remember both years vividly, but I can remember that 2004 felt distinctively different to 2003.

Written By: Zelek3 on 02/18/17 at 7:12 pm

You're absolutely right. However, the strange thing is, I can remember watching a 2005 or 2006 episode where Malcolm really wanted to purchase an Xbox 360, but he didn't have enough money, so he had to do chores for Hal. Maybe the Xbox 360 was released in the Early 2000s in their universe. :P

I think that the whole show took place from 2000-2006, but since the family is portrayed as being poor, the joke was that they remained stuck in the early 2000s even after the early 2000s had passed, while the world around them continued to move forward (hence Malcolm wanting an Xbox 360, but not being able to afford it).

Or maybe the show producers were just too lazy to update the props. Or maybe they thought "If it ain't broke don't fix it" and decided not to alter the signature feel of the show. :P I don't work in the television industry so I don't know the true answer to these.

Written By: 2001 on 02/18/17 at 7:12 pm

That explains why the only 2010s band he likes is The Story So Far.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 02/18/17 at 11:29 pm

You guys have some weird, weird misconceptions about me... ::)

That explains why the only 2010s band he likes is The Story So Far.

Oh god no!

Written By: Brian06 on 02/20/17 at 12:52 am

The mid '00s was when the Moto RAZR was a huge deal. Seriously that was the phone back then, and it was just such a basic phone but the design was pretty nice. Smartphone...in the mid '00s that would have been for business people. I knew of smartphones back in the early '00s but hardly any average people had one or heard of them, they were for big shots in suits that was the perception. One thing you can't deny is Apple made the smartphone mainstream, though they definitely did not invent it. They just created a consumer friendly smartphone, but that was still a huge deal. If you had a smartphone in 2005...you were a geek or business executive, in 2010 you were cool, by 2015 you were just the average person.  ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 02/20/17 at 2:56 am

The mid '00s was when the Moto RAZR was a huge deal. Seriously that was the phone back then, and it was just such a basic phone but the design was pretty nice. Smartphone...in the mid '00s that would have been for business people. I knew of smartphones back in the early '00s but hardly any average people had one or heard of them, they were for big shots in suits that was the perception. One thing you can't deny is Apple made the smartphone mainstream, though they definitely did not invent it. They just created a consumer friendly smartphone, but that was still a huge deal. If you had a smartphone in 2005...you were a geek or business executive, in 2010 you were cool, by 2015 you were just the average person.  ;D

I believe technology really sped up in the late 00's.
  :o

Written By: Slim95 on 02/24/17 at 1:37 pm

I think the mid 2000s was just an all around kick ass time. So much more edgier than today. As a liberal I am definitely not one to complain about political correctness, but things today are too safe because people are afraid of offending someone. The mid 2000s were a lot more carefree and fun. Especially 2005, I look back at 2005 with great fondness. One of the best and most exciting years for me and one of the best years for pop culture in the 2000s after the early 00s.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/24/17 at 5:47 pm

I think the mid 2000s was just an all around kick ass time. So much more edgier than today. As a liberal I am definitely not one to complain about political correctness, but things today are too safe because people are afraid of offending someone. The mid 2000s were a lot more carefree and fun. Especially 2005, I look back at 2005 with great fondness. One of the best and most exciting years for me and one of the best years for pop culture in the 2000s after the early 00s.

Culturally I'm mainly just a fan of '04-'05, but I will say there is some truth to what you've stated. Nowadays it's like media, politics, and culture is trying to be too safe. Making stuff that wouldn't deemed as 'offensive' to everybody. Thinks to things like SJWs, Social Media, and today's politics it seems like a lot of people are trying to place it very safe due to fear of facing a ton of backlash from a bunch of people who probably do nothing but waste 6+ hours on social media anyways. I remember watching a game review where the youtuber made a joke about how the game had a lot of characters who were stereotypical and goofy. And said that he was happy things like SJWs didn't exist at the time or else they would've been causing a riot all over the game. Nowadays everyone is so quick to call something "offensive", "racist", "sexist" or "Inconsiderate of a certain demographic". Now we gotta have stuff that panders to specific audience or else people would feel left out. Now it's not to say that stuff from the mid 2000s were perfect, but I don't like the idea of the 2010s making things with poltical correctness impacting creations. Especially creations that may not have been all that offensive to begin with.

Written By: Looney Toon on 02/24/17 at 6:14 pm

Early-to-mid 2006 was cool too, before everything went downhill around late 06 when the last remnants of "x-treme" culture died. :\'(

Long live xtreme. I actually would love an Xtreme sports culture to gain popularity again. I'm not the biggest fan of 2006 outside of some personal life moments. But if it means anything my dislike for 2006 has more to do with it just feeling slightly bland and not it being an bad year overall.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 02/27/17 at 6:56 pm

The mid 2000s was 2005 to 2007.
I turned 9 in 2005 and got into Naruto thanks to Toonami. I also started using the word "badass" a lot for some reason. My favorite movie that came out that year was Revenge of the Sith. I also got into Furby for some reason because they were out again...
2006 saw me turn 10 and enter my last year of elementary school. I stopped watching Barney finally as I deemed it for babies, and I loved using TiVo to tape anything I wanted.
I turned 11 in 2007. I quit Toonami after they turned the characters into creepy things with faces, but I occasionally returned to watch Mega Man Star Force. I mainly watched PBS Kids and reality TV.

My favorite music during that period was Beyonce's music, as well as Jay Z and Justin Timberlake.

Written By: SpyroKev on 08/16/17 at 9:23 am

I miss the sh!t out of the jean skirt phenomenon. Every girl did basically wore them. Haha I don't know what else to add beside that.

I'm becoming more fascinated by 04-05 the more I remember them.

Written By: exodus08 on 08/16/17 at 11:40 am

I turned 9 in 2005 and got into Naruto thanks to Toonami. I also started using the word "badass" a lot for some reason. My favorite movie that came out that year was Revenge of the Sith. I also got into Furby for some reason because they were out again...
2006 saw me turn 10 and enter my last year of elementary school. I stopped watching Barney finally as I deemed it for babies, and I loved using TiVo to tape anything I wanted.
I turned 11 in 2007. I quit Toonami after they turned the characters into creepy things with faces, but I occasionally returned to watch Mega Man Star Force. I mainly watched PBS Kids and reality TV.

My favorite music during that period was Beyonce's music, as well as Jay Z and Justin Timberlake.

Lol 2007 was late 00s.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 06/02/18 at 11:04 am

it was actually a tie between RotS and chicken little; she forgot to mention she was OBSESSED with Shadow the hedgehog, in fact her crush on that virus thing (which i hated and used to call devil man ray) ended in 2005 to make room for shadow.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/02/18 at 11:51 am

it was actually a tie between RotS and chicken little; she forgot to mention she was OBSESSED with Shadow the hedgehog, in fact her crush on that virus thing (which i hated and used to call devil man ray) ended in 2005 to make room for shadow.

2003-2006 mid 2000s. '03 was different from '01 and '02.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/02/18 at 1:38 pm

Culturally I'm mainly just a fan of '04-'05, but I will say there is some truth to what you've stated. Nowadays it's like media, politics, and culture is trying to be too safe. Making stuff that wouldn't deemed as 'offensive' to everybody. Thinks to things like SJWs, Social Media, and today's politics it seems like a lot of people are trying to place it very safe due to fear of facing a ton of backlash from a bunch of people who probably do nothing but waste 6+ hours on social media anyways. I remember watching a game review where the youtuber made a joke about how the game had a lot of characters who were stereotypical and goofy. And said that he was happy things like SJWs didn't exist at the time or else they would've been causing a riot all over the game. Nowadays everyone is so quick to call something "offensive", "racist", "sexist" or "Inconsiderate of a certain demographic". Now we gotta have stuff that panders to specific audience or else people would feel left out. Now it's not to say that stuff from the mid 2000s were perfect, but I don't like the idea of the 2010s making things with poltical correctness impacting creations. Especially creations that may not have been all that offensive to begin with.

It seems like shows like Family Guy and South Park are not as funny now as they were then. It's like they were forced to tone down their humor. American Dad is still funny though, since it's a different kind of humor.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/02/18 at 4:58 pm

In all realness I don't think there is such a thing as a mid 2000s. Looking back, the 00s can generally be split into 2 two 5-yeat halves. Any exceptions seem to be isolated.

The first half depends on when the early 00s began which seems to align with the beginning of the decade '00 or '01 and ended '04 or '05. The late 00s began around either 2005 or 2006 and ended in '09 or 2010.

Written By: exodus08 on 06/02/18 at 5:05 pm

In all realness I don't think there is such a thing as a mid 2000s. Looking back, the 00s can generally be split into 2 two 5-yeat halves. Any exceptions seem to be isolated.

The first half depends on when the early 00s began which seems to align with the beginning of the decade '00 or '01 and ended '04 or '05. The late 00s began around either 2005 or 2006 and ended in '09 or 2010.

A decade is 10 years. 2000-2009 is one decade. 2000-2002 2003-2006 2007-2009.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/02/18 at 6:40 pm

And Gold Digger by Kanye West ;D

6vwNcNOTVzY

My favorite rap album of all time. 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 06/02/18 at 7:32 pm

I have nothing against your opinion, but I sometimes don't know why some people believe that a year that ends with a 3 should be part of a decade's "mid" years rather than its "early" years.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/02/18 at 8:23 pm

I have nothing against your opinion, but I sometimes don't know why some people believe that a year that ends with a 3 should be part of a decade's "mid" years rather than its "early" years.

Technically, the years ending in "3" are actually more mid than early numerically.

Let's say, 2003, for example. If the 2000's began on January 1st, 2000 and ended on December 31st, 2009, that means January 1st, 2000 - April 30th, 2003 are the early 2000's, with May 2003 being the official start of the mid-2000's numerically. That's four months of the early 2000's and eight months of the mid-2000's in one year.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/02/18 at 9:22 pm

The 2000s were definitely far from a split decade though... The early, mid, and late parts of the decade were very distinct. For example, 2004 was nothing like 2001 and it was also nothing like 2007 too. The 2010s on the other hand, you could say is a split decade (2010 - 2015 and 2016 - present)

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/03/18 at 8:13 am

The 2000s were definitely far from a split decade though... The early, mid, and late parts of the decade were very distinct. For example, 2004 was nothing like 2001 and it was also nothing like 2007 too. The 2010s on the other hand, you could say is a split decade (2010 - 2015 and 2016 - present)

I'll have to agree about the 00's being split in two halves. 2004 was the peak of the culture that started in late 2001, and can be grouped together with 2002 and 2003 (Nelly, Chingy, and Ashanti were still popular in '04). 2005 on the other hand (at least the later part) was pretty much the same as 2008. The 10's can be split 3 ways, even though the entire decade feels the same. 2010-12 was one unique period which started in 2009. 2013-2016 was it's own unique period, and then 2017-present (the Trump era) is unique.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/18 at 10:57 am

I'll have to agree about the 00's being split in two halves. 2004 was the peak of the culture that started in late 2001, and can be grouped together with 2002 and 2003 (Nelly, Chingy, and Ashanti were still popular in '04). 2005 on the other hand (at least the later part) was pretty much the same as 2008. The 10's can be split 3 ways, even though the entire decade feels the same. 2010-12 was one unique period which started in 2009. 2013-2016 was it's own unique period, and then 2017-present (the Trump era) is unique.

'04 was nothing like '02. In '04 you already had crunk, downloading music digitally, MySpace, reality TV shows on MTV, huge influx of cell phones, etc. None of these things were very prominent in 2002. 2000 - 2002 was its own culture and the early 2000s and mid 2000s are quite clearly separate. As for the 2010s, 2014 and 2015 can be put in with the first couple of years, Obama was still president and culture wasn't that different. I don't believe 2013 - 2016 is one era. If you had to split it up in thirds, 2014 - mid 2016 would be more accurate. 2013 was still mainly early 2010s but it was a transitional year.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/03/18 at 12:57 pm

Thats technical. Not cultural.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/18 at 1:24 pm

Thats technical. Not cultural.

It's both imo. We should stick to the technicalities because culture is very subjective.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/03/18 at 10:15 pm

'04 was nothing like '02. In '04 you already had Crunk music, downloading music digitally, MySpace, reality TV shows on MTV, a huge influx of cell phones, etc. None of these things were very prominent in 2002. 2000 - 2002 was its own culture, and the early 2000s and mid-2000s are quite clearly separate. As for the 2010s, 2014 and 2015 can be put in with the first couple of years, Obama was still president and culture wasn't that different. I don't believe 2013 - 2016 is one era. If you had to split it up into thirds, 2014 - mid-2016 would be more accurate. 2013 was still mainly early 2010s, but it was a transitional year.
Wait, what? Everything you mentioned (except Myspace) was already relevant in 2002. Cell phones started to become mainstream. There are some reality shows on MTV (and other channels). People already used programs to download music to their MP3s and the Crunk music was significant. Maybe it was different in Canada, but here those things were noteworthy by 2002. Regarding Myspace, it wasn't that well-known in 2004. I don't remember anyone ever talking about that site back then. It wouldn't be until 2005-06 at the earliest where Myspace would become king.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/03/18 at 10:31 pm

Wait, what? Everything you mentioned (except Myspace) was already relevant in 2002. Cell phones started to become mainstream. There are some reality shows on MTV (and other channels). People already used programs to download music to their MP3s and the Crunk music was significant. Maybe it was different in Canada, but here those things were noteworthy by 2002. Regarding Myspace, it wasn't that well-known in 2004. I don't remember anyone ever talking about that site back then. It wouldn't be until 2005-06 at the earliest where Myspace would become king.

It started, but it wasn't anywhere near as big as it was in 2004. The mid 2000s culture is built on this stuff. While early 2000s culture is more about the XTreme. Those mid 2000s trends weren't everywhere and commonplace in 2002.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/03/18 at 11:01 pm

It started, but it wasn't anywhere near as big as it was in 2004. The mid-2000s culture is built on this stuff while early 2000s culture is more about the XTreme. Those mid-2000s trends weren't everywhere and commonplaced in 2002.
The XTreme trend was also relevant through 2004. 2002 may have had a few contrasts, but it wasn't that different from the mentioned year. Batfan and Shemp are correct. It would be easier honestly to divide the 00s into halves rather than thirds. Besides, everything you mentioned that was big in 2004 could (and can) be traced back to 2002 (except Myspace) as BatFan said.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/10/18 at 2:25 pm

The XTreme trend was also relevant through 2004. 2002 may have had a few contrasts, but it wasn't that different from the mentioned year. Batfan and Shemp are correct. It would be easier honestly to divide the 00s into halves rather than thirds. Besides, everything you mentioned that was big in 2004 could (and can) be traced back to 2002 (except Myspace) as BatFan said.

MySpace was created in 2003 (mainly for bands/artists to promote their music) but didn't become popular until 2005. Overall the music of 2004 sounded pretty much the same as 2002 (especially glam rap). Only cruck, which unofficially began in 2003 with Lil' Jon's "Get Low" wasn't around yet, and maybe the Blink 182, Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World style rock wasn't as popular in '04 as it was in Spring '02. The reality TV craze started in 2000 with Survivor, and the Bachelor was very popular in 2002. Also flip phones with the camera started coming out in 2002, and the first gen iPods were from 2001, and it was the 128-bit era of video games.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/10/18 at 2:26 pm

MySpace was created in 2003 (mainly for bands/artists to promote their music) but didn't become popular until 2005. Overall the music of 2004 sounded pretty much the same as 2002 (especially glam rap). Only cruck, which unofficially began in 2003 with Lil' Jon's "Get Low" wasn't around yet, and maybe the Blink 182, Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World style rock wasn't as popular in '04 as it was in Spring '02. The reality TV craze started in 2000 with Survivor, and the Bachelor was very popular in 2002. Also flip phones with the camera started coming out in 2002, and the first gen iPods were from 2001, and it was the 128-bit era of video games.

MySpace was popular in summer of 2004 though. My sister has MySpace in 2004 and I heard about it that year. At least in Canada you started hearing about MySpace in 2004.

I still disagree with it being possible to divide the decade in half. Early, mid, and late '00s were all incredibly unique and seperate eras from each other. The mid and early 00s weren't similar at all. And the late and mid 00s weren't similar at all either.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/11/18 at 1:05 pm

'04 was nothing like '02. In '04 you already had crunk, downloading music digitally, MySpace, reality TV shows on MTV, huge influx of cell phones, etc. None of these things were very prominent in 2002. 2000 - 2002 was its own culture and the early 2000s and mid 2000s are quite clearly separate.

While I'm not in full align with what you said, I still agree for most of the part. I keep telling everybody this on these boards. 2004 has HARDLY anything in common with 2002. When it comes to the U.S. with the exception of 9/11 the years 2001 and 2002 were very similar pop culturally. 2003 was the transition year. 2004 while it's different from 2006, the year overall is still more related to 2006 than 2002.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/11/18 at 1:16 pm

This is my first time hearing anyone say 2002 is the same as 2004.  ??? But 2004 was like the bridging gap between the early 2000s and the mid 2000s.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 2:59 pm

Well this is my own opinion. We can all agree to disagree with one another.

Dat feel when you make an impassioned decadeology post that you immediately regret. ;D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS63iKJV4AEBK0U.jpg

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/11/18 at 4:02 pm

You really can't divide the 2000s into two parts. The early, mid and late 2000s all do their own thing.

Written By: BornIn86 on 06/11/18 at 5:33 pm

This isn't exactly true. If they were nothing alike, why associate them at all. Those years have more in common with each other than they do with other decades.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/11/18 at 5:42 pm

This is my first time hearing anyone say 2002 is the same as 2004.  ??? But 2004 was like the bridging gap between the early 2000s and the mid 2000s.

I agree. Early 2004 is more early 2000s in culture. Mid-Late 2004 ifs more Mid 2000s. But overall, the 2003-2004 school year is still pretty early 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/18 at 5:49 pm

You really can't divide the 2000s into two parts. The early, mid and late 2000s all do their own thing.

I agree. The 2000s is one of the most divided eras ever, so many changes that decade.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/11/18 at 5:51 pm

2004 overall wasn't as hardcore mid 2000s as 2005 & 2006 were. It was an equal balance of early 2000s trends (that were on their last legs) and mid 2000s trends (rising in popularity).

jhsma3rHxWI

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/18 at 5:58 pm

I think 2004 was most definitely purely mid 2000s. I alao think 2003 was mainly mid '00s too, but it was transitional. But in 2004 it was absolute mid 2000s culture. 2006 wasn't even very mid 2000s. The infamous late 2006 shift proves it is a late 2000s year overall.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/18 at 5:59 pm

Dat feel when you make an impassioned decadeology post that you immediately regret. ;D

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DS63iKJV4AEBK0U.jpg

I'm really curious now what you said haha

Written By: mqg96 on 06/11/18 at 6:07 pm

2004 overall wasn't as hardcore mid 2000s as 2005 & 2006 were. It was an equal balance of early 2000s trends (that were on their last legs) and mid 2000s trends (rising in popularity).

jhsma3rHxWI

Actually I disagree. I think 2003 was the year early 2000's culture was on its last legs (although the whole year still leaned towards early) while mid 2000's trends were rising in popularity. 50 Cent, That's So Raven, DVD's replacing VHS in popularity, broadband's becoming the norm in majority of people's homes over dial up, MySpace coming out, etc. were all mid 2000's trends on the rise throughout 2003. The 2003-04 season/school year was the transition from early 00's culture to mid 00's culture. I agree it wasn't more mid than early but at the same time it wasn't more early than mid either. 2004 screams mid 00's to me, and it was the best year of the mid 00's numerically and culturally IMO.

I have to call some people out though, the only people on these boards who are putting too much emphasis on the whole "January-April 2003" was early and the "May-December 2003" while is mid are the ones who don't remember the year period. Yes this is true, but the majority of people always go by "0-3" being early, "4-6" being mid, and "7-9" being late. This applies when it comes to documentaries on television about decades as well. They don't care about dividing months, they simply care about the years individually. So if there's anybody who remembers 2003 and they want to include it as part of the early 00's, don't come at them and say it was a mid 00's year when you don't remember the year yourself.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/11/18 at 6:48 pm

Actually I disagree. I think 2003 was the year early 2000's culture was on its last legs (although the whole year still leaned towards early) while mid 2000's trends were rising in popularity. 50 Cent, That's So Raven, DVD's replacing VHS in popularity, broadband's becoming the norm in majority of people's homes over dial up, MySpace coming out, etc. were all mid 2000's trends on the rise throughout 2003. The 2003-04 season/school year was the transition from early 00's culture to mid 00's culture. I agree it wasn't more mid than early but at the same time it wasn't more early than mid either. 2004 screams mid 00's to me, and it was the best year of the mid 00's numerically and culturally IMO.

I have to call some people out though, the only people on these boards who are putting too much emphasis on the whole "January-April 2003" was early and the "May-December 2003" while is mid are the ones who don't remember the year period. Yes this is true, but the majority of people always go by "0-3" being early, "4-6" being mid, and "7-9" being late. This applies when it comes to documentaries on television about decades as well. They don't care about dividing months, they simply care about the years individually. So if there's anybody who remembers 2003 and they want to include it as part of the early 00's, don't come at them and say it was a mid 00's year when you don't remember the year yourself.

There are two ways to tell if a year is early, mid or late: Culturally and chronologically.

2003, overall, is chronologically more mid than early. However, culturally, it's a different story.

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 06/11/18 at 6:57 pm

Yeah, I would generally have to agree with that. I was 4 years old in 2003, so it's the first year I can recall very vividly. I'm not going to start a decadeology debate and say when the Mid 2000s started, but from my personal perspective, 2004 was quite different from 2003 in a number of ways. I personally wouldn't consider them to be the same cultural era. That's just my opinion.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/11/18 at 7:02 pm

2004 I'd say was still far more transitional than 2003.
I agree that influences of the mid '00s were coming in by that point, but I'd argue the 2003-04 season was overall more like the 2002-03 season than the 2004-05 season.
Yeah, broadband was on the rise, as it has been since 2001, but it wasn't until mid/late 2004 when broadband adoption rates had surpassed dial up's. MySpace came out, but there was already Friendster before it, which came out in 2002, and Friendster was still the most popular social networking site into 2004, it wasn't until 2005, around the time it was bought out by News Corp, when MySpace really took off. DVDs surpassed VHS in rental sales at the time, but DVD had already surpassed it in purchase sales by early 2002, and at the same time, it wasn't until 2004 when the purchase sales of VHS fell below $5 billion. As for That's So Raven, that's only one show, and it was still very much part of the hip era that started in 2001 with Lizzy McGuire.
I'd also say the same for the music scene as well. Pop-punk still sounded more "skater" than "goth" that school year. Simple Plan, Yellowcard, and Fountains of Wayne were all tremendously popular that school year, their sound is patently early '00s. The season was also arguably the peak for the whole Avril Lavgine/Michelle Branch/Liz Phair-esque pop music that became popular in 2001/02. Post-grunge was still in peak popularity, and even hip hop music, while the mid '00s were certainly coming in, a lot of the party rap songs of that era really don't sound too different from the sound of Nellyville in 2002.

If I were to divide the '00s, using seasons/school years, it'd look like this;

1999-2000, 2000-2001 = Y2K '00s

2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004 = Classic '00s

2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007 = Nuclear '00s

2007-2008, 2008-2009, 2009-2010 = Modern '00s

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/11/18 at 7:04 pm

You don't have to remember 2003 to know that it's chronologically more mid than early because it's literally basic math. If you are defining it by how the culture was back then, then it would be early, but chronologically, the overall year would be more mid.

I find it quite funny how some older users get all worked up when I say 2003 is numerically more mid.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/11/18 at 7:08 pm

@mqg96

2003 is undeniably early 2000s. Those trends you mentioned from 2003, while core to the 'mid' 2000s, I'd argue signal moreso of the 'core' 2000s becoming prevalent.

50 Cent, That's So Raven, DVD's replacing VHS in popularity, broadband's becoming the norm in majority of people's homes over dial up, MySpace coming out, etc. were all mid 2000's trends on the rise throughout 2003.

I'll give you 50 Cent & That's So Raven, but other than that most of these trends you mentioned either didn't affect much of the cultural landscape of 2003 or they simply were more imperative to the cultural 'core' 2000s, rather than the 'mid' 2000s. DVDs may had replaced VHS in popularity, that is true, but both formats were still offered for home video releases for much of 2003 & 2004. Broadband became more prevalent that year (my family upgraded to Windows XP & Broadband that year), but it did not overtake Dial-Up on a national level until mid 2004. AOL was still pretty prevalent for much of 2003 & 2004. Finally the launch of MySpace, like one poster mentioned, didn't really have much a ripple effect in popular culture until around Late 2004 into 2005. Before that, it was used mainly by musical artists to promote their music, not by angsty emo kids.

In fact, FWIW, that's generally around when I would start the cultural mid 2000s. Basically around the time of GWB's re-election, the Boxing Day Tsunami, and the release of GTA San Andreas, Halo 2, & the PS2 Slim (signaling the second half of the 6th generation of consoles).

The 2003-04 season/school year was the transition from early 00's culture to mid 00's culture. I agree it wasn't more mid than early but at the same time it wasn't more early than mid either. 2004 screams mid 00's to me, and it was the best year of the mid 00's numerically and culturally IMO.

Once again, I have to respectfully disagree. While 2004 may have mostly been a mid 2000s year culturally, much of the year still had so much lingering early 2000s culture, that its hard to claim it as being the peak year for the mid 2000s culturally. That title belongs more to 2005 IMO. Especially since early 2004 was still predominately early 2000s in culture, but clearly at the VERY tail end of it.

Hence why I disagree with your assessment on the 2003-04 school year. In the musical front; Crunk rap was getting big, but you still had the Neptunes sound being very prevalent in R&B, with artists like Ashanti and Destiny's Child still being big. Rock music was still dominated by the Pop-Punk and Nu-Metal styles of much of 2000-2003, but of course that was starting to fade. The emo style/mid 2000s punk style wouldn't start to become noticeably big until mid-late 2004, especially after Green Day's American Idiot. Finally, early 2004 was arguably still dominated by the early 2000s big time pop stars like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and JLO to name a few.

Early 2004 saw Britney's single Toxic, which was noticeably her last major single before her stark decline for much of the mid 2000s, and what one could claim ended her peak in popularity from circa 1998-2004. Other major artists that took a backset after 2004 were Eminem, Outkast (especially after their big hit Hey Ya, you barely heard from them), Ja Rule, Creed, and No Doubt (among others). That sort of signaled that 2004 was really the true transition from early 2000s culture to mid 2000s culture.

That's not to even mention other cultural changes like television, technology (already mentioned), film, cartoon/kid network changes (that we've both extensively researched ;D), video games, etc.

Written By: ZeldaFan20 on 06/11/18 at 7:16 pm

I agree that influences of the mid '00s were coming in by that point, but I'd argue the 2003-04 season was overall more like the 2002-03 season than the 2004-05 season.
Yeah, broadband was on the rise, as it has been since 2001, but it wasn't until mid/late 2004 when broadband adoption rates had surpassed dial up's. MySpace came out, but there was already Friendster before it, which came out in 2002, and Friendster was still the most popular social networking site into 2004, it wasn't until 2005, around the time it was bought out by News Corp, when MySpace really took off. DVDs surpassed VHS in rental sales at the time, but DVD had already surpassed it in purchase sales by early 2002, and at the same time, it wasn't until 2004 when the purchase sales of VHS fell below $5 billion. As for That's So Raven, that's only one show, and it was still very much part of the hip era that started in 2001 with Lizzy McGuire.
I'd also say the same for the music scene as well. Pop-punk still sounded more "skater" than "goth" that school year. Simple Plan, Yellowcard, and Fountains of Wayne were all tremendously popular that school year, their sound is patently early '00s. The season was also arguably the peak for the whole Avril Lavgine/Michelle Branch/Liz Phair-esque pop music that became popular in 2001/02. Post-grunge was still in peak popularity, and even hip hop music, while the mid '00s were certainly coming in, a lot of the party rap songs of that era really don't sound too different from the sound of Nellyville in 2002.

I agree! the only I thing I'd disagree is 2009-2010 being part of the 'modern 2000s'. Personally, I'd consider that its own thing, essentially the Electropop era (along with 2010-2011). Using school years since 1999-2000, this is how I see it:

1999-2000, 2000-2001: Y2K Era (neither core 90s nor 00s)

2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004: Early 00s

2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007: Mid 00s (with the core 2000s being from Late 2003 through Mid 2008, 2008 being the culminate year of the 2000s decade)

2007-2008, 2008-2009: Late 00s

2009-2010, 2010-2011: Electropop Era (neither core 00s nor 10s)

2011-2012, 2012-2013: Early 2010s

2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016: Mid 10s (with the core 2010s being from Late 2012 to the present, although you could make the argument that we are entering a new era distinct from the 2010s as we speak, heck an historic summit is set for tomorrow)

2016-2017, 2017-2018: Late 10s

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/11/18 at 7:30 pm

2013-2014, 2014-2015, 2015-2016: Mid 10s (with the core 2010s being from Late 2012 to the present, although you could make the argument that we are entering a new era distinct from the 2010s as we speak, heck an historic summit is set for tomorrow)

2016-2017, 2017-2018: Late 10s

Personally, I don't think we are in the core 2010's anymore. I feel like the core 2010's ended in November 2016 when Trump got elected. Since then, the 2010's have been feeling different from late 2012-mid-2016. I've also noticed that hipsters have been fading since about 2017, arguably a big core 2010's trend.

I would say the 2012-2013 through 2015-2016 school years were the core 2010's, with the quintessential being 2014-2015 school year.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/18 at 7:55 pm

You don't have to remember 2003 to know that it's chronologically more mid than early because it's literally basic math. If you are defining it by how the culture was back then, then it would be early, but chronologically, the overall year would be more mid.

I find it quite funny how some older users get all worked up when I say 2003 is numerically more mid.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I don't. I think it's more culturally and numerically more mid. 2003 - 2005 can be considered one era.

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/11/18 at 8:04 pm

I don't. I think it's more culturally and numerically more mid. 2003 - 2005 can be considered one era.

That's fine. 2003 can be considered early or mid culturally. It's all subjective.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/11/18 at 8:10 pm

I disagree with 2003-2005 being its own era. 2003 has more in common with post-9/11 2001, and 2005 has more in common with pre-iPhone 2007, than they (2003 and 2005) have with each other.
Late 2001 - Early 2004 would be one era, and Late 2004 - Early 2007 would be the next era.
I brought this up previously in Reply #160 on this thread;

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/11/18 at 8:16 pm

Why are they called "Nuclear '00s"

Nuclear = Core

Written By: Dundee on 06/11/18 at 8:27 pm

Ugh @ deviding decades into eras

Written By: Rainbowz on 06/11/18 at 8:40 pm

Ugh @ deviding decades into eras

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/18 at 8:50 pm

The 2000s decade can be divided like this:

2000 - Early 2003 = Early 2000s (you can say '00 and early '01 are part of the Y2K era too)

Mid 2003 - Early 2006 = Mid 2000s

Mid 2006 - Mid 2008 = Late 2000s/Modern 2000s

Late 2008 - 2009 = Cultural 2010s

At least that's the way I see it. 2000 - 2005 can be considered the core 2000s and the classic 2000s, I think of the real 2000s as 2000 - 2005. If you divide it this way, the eras that are split up are relatively equal in lengths and this is fairly similar to the numeric divisions.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 8:54 pm

The early 2000s don't start till I walk in.

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/11/18 at 9:06 pm

The 2000s decade can be divided like this:

2000 - Early 2003 = Early 2000s (you can say '00 and early '01 are part of the Y2K era too)

Mid 2003 - Early 2006 = Mid 2000s

Mid 2006 - Mid 2008 = Late 2000s/Modern 2000s

Late 2008 - 2009 = Cultural 2010s

At least that's the way I see it. 2000 - 2005 can be considered the core 2000s and the classic 2000s, I think of the real 2000s as 2000 - 2005. If you divide it this way, the eras that are split up are relatively equal in lengths and this is fairly similar to the numeric divisions.

2004 and 2007 were far more transformative than 2003 and 2006 were, pop culturally and technologically speaking.
2003 would actually rank at the near bottom if the '00s were ranked in terms of transformality, while 2006 would rank in the upper bottom 5. 2004 and 2007 would rank in the top 3 or 4, behind 2001 at the top.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/11/18 at 9:12 pm

@mqg96

2003 is undeniably early 2000s. Those trends you mentioned from 2003, while core to the 'mid' 2000s, I'd argue signal moreso of the 'core' 2000s becoming prevalent.

I'll give you 50 Cent & That's So Raven, but other than that most of these trends you mentioned either didn't affect much of the cultural landscape of 2003 or they simply were more imperative to the cultural 'core' 2000s, rather than the 'mid' 2000s. DVDs may had replaced VHS in popularity, that is true, but both formats were still offered for home video releases for much of 2003 & 2004. Broadband became more prevalent that year (my family upgraded to Windows XP & Broadband that year), but it did not overtake Dial-Up on a national level until mid 2004. AOL was still pretty prevalent for much of 2003 & 2004. Finally the launch of MySpace, like one poster mentioned, didn't really have much a ripple effect in popular culture until around Late 2004 into 2005. Before that, it was used mainly by musical artists to promote their music, not by angsty emo kids.

You, NerdyGamer, and I need a PM between us 3. We have to do a Google hangout one day whenever we have time! It's up to you man no rush or anything. If you don't feel comfortable it's okay but we always have your back!

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 9:15 pm

2004 and 2007 were far more transformative than 2003 and 2006 were, pop culturally and technologically speaking.
2003 would actually rank at the near bottom if the '00s were ranked in terms of transformality, while 2006 would rank in the upper bottom 5. 2004 and 2007 would rank in the top 3 or 4, behind 2001 at the top.

I don't want to wade into the aimless decadeology debate but I'd have to disagree with that. 2003 had broadband Internet take off, DVD overtake VHS, cellphone ownership rate hit 50%+, the start of the Iraq War and subsequent oil crisis, the launch of MySpace, the birth of 2000s emo, the launch of the GBASP (and its revolutionaryyy rechargeable battery and backlight), the end of Dragon Ball Z and the release of the first bad Pokémon and Zelda games  :-X

Written By: mqg96 on 06/11/18 at 9:16 pm

If you watch documentaries about decades on TV, they'll always consider the 3 digit year of any decade as the early part and none of them worry about analyzing it mathematically by months or going deep into it like you (or others) do. Black Panther mentioned this on another thread as well. It's not about older users getting worked out, I'm mature about it. This is just the facts when you go on the History Channel, TruTV, CNN, etc. when it comes to documentaries or stories on decades. Most forums on sites go by this as well. Hardly anyone breaks it up into equal thirds even if that's correct.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/11/18 at 9:18 pm

I don't want to wade into the aimless decadeology debate but I'd have to disagree with that. 2003 had broadband Internet take off, DVD overtake VHS, cellphone ownership rate hit 50%+, the start of the Iraq War and subsequent oil crisis, the launch of MySpace, the birth of 2000s emo, the launch of the GBASP (and its revolutionaryyy rechargeable battery), the end of Dragon Ball Z and the release of the first bad Pokémon game  :-X

Exactly, that's why I believe 2003 was transitional along with early 2004. The full transition into the mid 2000's was complete by summer 2004. Some may even say spring 2004 too but I'm gonna be nice and say the summer. Okay, let's just take out the #'s and this still applies based off the timeline of our pop culture when we were kids.

Written By: Wobo on 06/11/18 at 9:23 pm

Gorillaz Feel Good Inc. came out in 2005.

Written By: 2001 on 06/11/18 at 9:24 pm

Exactly, that's why I believe 2003 was transitional along with early 2004. The full transition into the mid 2000's was complete by summer 2004. Some may even say spring 2004 too but I'm gonna be nice and say the summer. Okay, let's just take out the #'s and this still applies based off the timeline of our pop culture when we were kids.

I'm just going to agree with Zelek and say the spirit of the early 2000s lied with Saddam Hussein, and when he was captured in December 2003 it was pretty much over.  :\'(

Written By: SeaCaptainMan97 on 06/11/18 at 9:37 pm

I don't want to wade into the aimless decadeology debate but I'd have to disagree with that. 2003 had broadband Internet take off, DVD overtake VHS, cellphone ownership rate hit 50%+, the start of the Iraq War and subsequent oil crisis, the launch of MySpace, the birth of 2000s emo, the launch of the GBASP (and its revolutionaryyy rechargeable battery), the end of Dragon Ball Z and the release of the first bad Pokémon game  :-X

Broadband had already been on the rise since 2001. However, it wasn't until mid/late 2004 when broadband adoption rates surpassed dial up's. In 2003, dial up was still the standard.
In terms of purchasing sales, DVD already surpassed VHS by early 2002, the rental sales just lasted longer due to poorer people holding on to VHS players longer. Plus, the purchase sales of VHS didn't fall below $5 billion until 2004.
MySpace came out, sure, but Friendster was already out before then. Friendster came out in 2002, and was still the social media king up until 2004. MySpace didn't really start taking off until 2005, especially around the time it was bought out by News Corp.
2000s emo also started in 2002. Not only was that when emo as a whole went mainstream, but the goth emo subculture also started in 2002 with Taking Back Sunday's "Tell All Your Friends". However, in 2003 into early 2004, pop-punk still generally sounded more "skater" than "goth", just listen to the singles from Simple Plan, Yellowcard, and Fountains of Wayne from that time. It wasn't really until American Idiot in mid 2004 when it really exploded.
As for the Iraq War, while it started in 2003, the leadup to it was going on all throughout 2002. It was in 2002 when Bush made the case for invading Iraq to the international community, and when US Congress passed the "Iraq Resolution", that gave Bush permission for the Iraq War.
Dragon Ball Z may have ended, but 2004 was a much bigger year for series ending, as Friends, Sex & The City, the Klaspy Csupo era of Nickelodeon, the Powerhouse Era of CN, etc. all ended that year. As for Pokemon, if you're talking about Sapphire and Ruby, whether they were bad or good is subjective, but they were also already out in Japan in 2002.
The GBA SP I may give you props on that, but beyond the charger and backlight, it was still pretty much a redesign of the original GBA from 2001, not to mention it lacked a headphone jack, which was a setback. The DS and especially PSP that came after were far more of a technological breakthrough.
I'll give you the cellphone statistic, certainly. However, overall, 2003 was not as transformative as 2001 or any year from 2004-2009 for sure, and I'd even argue 2002 was more transformative as well, leaving only 2000 behind it.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/18 at 10:00 pm

If you watch documentaries about decades on TV, they'll always consider the 3 digit year of any decade as the early part and none of them worry about analyzing it mathematically by months or going deep into it like you (or others) do. Black Panther mentioned this on another thread as well. It's not about older users getting worked out, I'm mature about it. This is just the facts when you go on the History Channel, TruTV, CNN, etc. when it comes to documentaries or stories on decades. Most forums on sites go by this as well. Hardly anyone breaks it up into equal thirds even if that's correct.

Usually they do it by halves, but some do indeed do it by thirds. And the fourth year (2003) is technically both the early and mid part of the decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/11/18 at 10:03 pm

I don't want to wade into the aimless decadeology debate but I'd have to disagree with that. 2003 had broadband Internet take off, DVD overtake VHS, cellphone ownership rate hit 50%+, the start of the Iraq War and subsequent oil crisis, the launch of MySpace, the birth of 2000s emo, the launch of the GBASP (and its revolutionaryyy rechargeable battery and backlight), the end of Dragon Ball Z and the release of the first bad Pokémon and Zelda games  :-X

Yup I agree. I always consider 2003 as the start of the mid 2000s and the new era, and 2002 still very early 2000s with that old school vibe. However I can admit 2003 still had a bunch of early 2000s leftovers. 2004 on the other hand, is safe to say the early 2000s were way behind us and it shouldn't even be a debate that that year is clearly mid 2000s, not early, both numerically and culturally.

Written By: SmartBo1 on 06/11/18 at 11:33 pm

WHAT DID YOU SAY ABOUT WIND WAKER?!?!?!?!?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/12/18 at 12:23 am

MySpace was created in 2003 (mainly for bands/artists to promote their music) but didn't become popular until 2005. Overall the music of 2004 sounded pretty much the same as 2002 (especially glam rap). Only crunk music, which unofficially began in 2003 with Lil' Jon's "Get Low" wasn't around yet, and maybe the Blink 182, Sum 41, Jimmy Eat World-style rock wasn't as popular in '04 as it was in Spring '02. The reality TV craze started in 2000 with Survivor, and the Bachelor was very popular in 2002. Also, flip phones with the camera started coming out in 2002, and the first gen iPods were from 2001, and it was the 128-bit era of video games.
That's what I mean. Almost everything you said except Myspace could trace back to the start of the 00s. I don't know why Slim believes that 2004 was a significant contrast from 2002. It's most likely because he's from Canada where trends seem to change at different periods compared to here.

I still disagree with it being possible to divide the decade in half. Early, mid, and late '00s were all incredibly unique and separate eras from each other. The middle and early 00s weren't similar at all. The near end and the mid-00s weren't identical at all either.

You really can't divide the 2000s into two parts. The early, the mid and late 2000s all do their own thing.

Nah, I still say it's better for the 00s to be in halves. 2004 wasn't that drastic from 2000/01 and 2008/09 weren't that distinct from 2005/06.

This statement is my first time hearing anyone say 2002 is the same as in 2004.  ??? But 2004 was like the bridging gap between the early 2000s and the mid-2000s.
Well, it's not that 2002 was the same as 2004, it's that both years were not that conflicting from each other.

I disagree. I think 2003 was the year early 2000's culture was on its last legs (although the whole year still leaned towards early) while mid-2000's trends were rising in popularity. 50 Cent, That's So Raven, DVD's replacing VHS in popularity, broadband is becoming the norm in the majority of people's homes over dial-up, MySpace coming out, etc. were all mid-2000's trends on the rise throughout 2003. The 2003-04 season/school year was the transition from early 00's culture to mid 00's culture. I agree it wasn't more mid than early, but at the same time, it wasn't more early than mid either. 2004 screams mid 00's to me, and it was the best year of the mid 00's numerically and culturally IMO.

I have to call some people out though, the only people on these boards who are putting too much emphasis on the whole "January-April 2003" was early and the "May-December 2003", while is mid, are the ones who don't remember the year period. Yes, this is true, but the majority of people always go by "0-3" being early, "4-6" being mid, and "7-9" being late. This aspect applies when it comes to documentaries on television about decades as well. They don't care about dividing months; they care about the years individually. So if there's anybody who remembers 2003 and they want to include it as part of the early 00's, don't come at them and say it was a mid 00's year when you don't remember the year yourself.

If you watch documentaries about decades on TV, they'll always consider the three digit year of any decade as the early part, and none of them worry about analyzing it mathematically by months or going deep into it as you (or others) do. Black Panther mentioned this in another thread as well. It's not about older users getting worked out; I'm mature about it. The evidence is just the facts when you go on the History Channel, TruTV, CNN, etc. when it comes to documentaries or stories on decades. Most forums on sites go by this as well. Hardly anyone breaks it up into equal thirds even if that's correct.
While I agree 2003 is more early than the middle, I don't think we should use Disney shows to say they changed the overall culture. That's So Raven only changed the kids' culture. As for 50 Cent, he was already in the mainstream before "In Da Club." He had a few songs such as Wanksta, and I think he was a feature on one of Eminem's songs from the Eminem Show.

I still concur with your second post. I honestly think too many people online, in general, are putting too much importance on a year. You're right that people face to face don't care about dividing months, the year itself. To add to that, I don't indeed see most people dividing a year into pieces, when discussing pop culture or even their world.

There are two ways to tell if a year is early, mid or late: Culturally and chronologically.

2003, overall, is chronologically more mid than early. However, culturally, it's a different story.

You don't have to remember 2003 to know that it's chronologically more mid than early because it's basic math. If you are defining it by how the culture was back then, then it would be early, but chronologically, the overall year would be more mid.

That's only if one is using the thirds method. If they're using the other systems, that doesn't mean they're wrong.

I agree that influences of the mid-'00s were coming in by that point, but I'd argue the 2003-04 season was overall more like the 2002-03 season than the 2004-05 season.

Yeah, broadband was on the rise, as it has been since 2001, but it wasn't until mid/late 2004 when broadband adoption rates had surpassed dial up's. MySpace came out, but there was already Friendster before it, which came out in 2002, and Friendster was still the most popular social networking site into 2004, it wasn't until 2005, around the time it was bought out by News Corp when MySpace indeed took off. DVDs surpassed VHS in rental sales at the time, but DVD had already surpassed it in purchase sales by early 2002, and at the same time, it wasn't until 2004 when the purchase sales of VHS fell below $5 billion. As for That's So Raven, that's only one show, and it was still very much part of the hip era that started in 2001 with Lizzy McGuire.

I'd also say the same for the music scene as well. Pop-punk still sounded more "skater" than "goth" that school year. Simple Plan, Yellowcard, and Fountains of Wayne were all tremendously popular that school year, and their sound is the patently early '00s. The season was also arguably the peak for the whole Avril Lavigne/Michelle Branch/Liz Phair pop music that became popular in 2001/02. Post-grunge was still in peak popularity, and even hip-hop music, while the mid-'00s were undoubtedly coming in, a lot of the party rap songs of that era don't sound too different from the sound of Nellyville in 2002.

As for the Iraq War, while it started in 2003, the leadup to it was going on all throughout 2002. It was in 2002 when Bush made a case for invading Iraq to the international community, and when US Congress passed the "Iraq Resolution," that permitted Bush for the Iraq War.

Dragon Ball Z may have ended, but 2004 was a much bigger year for series ending, as Friends, Sex & The City, the Klasky Csupo era of Nickelodeon, the Powerhouse Era of CN, etc. all ended that year. As for Pokemon, if you're talking about Sapphire and Ruby, whether they were awful or good is subjective, but they were also already out in Japan in 2002.

The GBA SP I may give you props on that, but beyond the charger and backlight, it was still pretty much a redesign of the original GBA from 2001, not to mention it lacked a headphone jack, which was a setback. The DS and especially PSP that came after were far more of a technological breakthrough.

I'll give you the cellphone statistic, certainly. However, overall, 2003 was not as transformative as 2001 or any year from 2004-2009 for sure, and I'd even argue 2002 was more transformative as well, leaving only 2000 behind it.

@mqg96

2003 is the undeniably early 2000s. Those trends you mentioned from 2003, while core to the 'mid' 2000s, I'd argue signal more of the 'core' 2000s becoming prevalent.

I'll give you 50 Cent & That's So Raven, but other than that most of these trends you mentioned either didn't affect much of the cultural landscape of 2003 or they only were more imperative to the aesthetic 'core' 2000s, rather than the 'mid' 2000s. DVDs may have replaced VHS in popularity, that is true, but both formats still offered for home video releases for much of 2003 & 2004. Broadband became more prevalent that year (my family upgraded to Windows XP & Broadband that year), but it did not overtake Dial-Up on a national level until mid-2004. AOL was still pretty prevalent for much of 2003 & 2004. Finally, the launch of MySpace, as one poster mentioned, didn't have much a ripple effect in popular culture until around Late 2004 into 2005. Before that, it was used mainly by musical artists to promote their music, not by angsty emo kids.

In fact, FWIW, that's generally around when I would start the mid cultural 2000s. Primarily around the time of GWB's re-election, the Boxing Day Tsunami, and the release of GTA San Andreas, Halo 2, & the PS2 Slim (signaling the second half of the 6th generation of consoles).

Once again, I have to disagree respectfully. While 2004 may have mostly been a mid-2000s year culturally, much of the year still had so much lingering early 2000s culture, that it's hard to claim it as being the peak year for the mid-2000s culturally. That title belongs more to 2005 IMO. Especially since early 2004 was still predominately early 2000s in culture, but precisely at the VERY tail end of it.

Hence why I disagree with your assessment on the 2003-04 school year. In the musical front; Crunk rap was getting big, but you still had the Neptunes sound being very prevalent in R&B, with artists like Ashanti and Destiny's Child still being prominent. Rock music still dominated with Pop-Punk and Nu-Metal styles of 2000-2003, but of course, that was starting to fade. The emo style/ mid-2000s punk style wouldn't begin to become noticeably big until mid-late 2004, especially after Green Day's American Idiot. Finally, early 2004 was arguably still dominated by the beginning 2000s big-time pop stars like Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and JLO to name a few.

Early 2004 saw Britney's single Toxic, which was noticeably her last major single before her severe decline for much of the mid-2000s, and what one could claim ended her peak in popularity from circa 1998-2004. Other significant artists that took a backseat after 2004 were Eminem, Outkast (especially after their big hit Hey Ya, you barely heard from them), Ja Rule, Creed, and No Doubt (among others). That signaled that 2004 was indeed the exact transition from early 2000s culture to mid-2000s culture.

That's not to even mention other cultural changes like television, technology (already said), film, cartoon/kid network changes (that we've both extensively researched ;D), video games, etc.

I agree with you SeaCaptain! The only thing I'd disagree with is 2009-2010 being part of the 'modern 2000s'. Personally, I'd consider that its era, virtually the Electropop era (along with 2010-2011). Using school years since 1999-2000, this is how I see it:

1999-2000, 2000-2001: Y2K Era (neither core 90s nor 00s)

2001-2002, 2002-2003, 2003-2004: Early 00s

2004-2005, 2005-2006, 2006-2007: Mid 00s (with the core 2000s being from Late 2003 through Mid 2008, 2008 being the culminating year of the 2000s decade)

2007-2008, 2008-2009: Late 00s

Except for dividing the decade into thirds, I agree with everything you guys said. Most cultural trends that were noteworthy in 2004 has already begun a few years earlier and the ones that were substantial before transcended through 2004 as well. That's why to me it's better to place the 00s the halves. Oh, and I wanted to add to the part about goth (or emo) fashion. I genuinely think that trend is overestimated overtime. I remember some people having the attitude of being goth/emo, but most were not wearing that type of apparel throughout the decade. It was nothing but a sub-culture at best and other fads dominated around the same time as that trend did.

The GBA SP also had headphone jack adapters 13 years before the iPhone 7 came out. ;D

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1y5LdRVXXXXaXXpXXq6xXFXXXL/3-5mm-Headphone-Earphone-Jack-Adapter-Cord-Cable-for-Nintendo-Gameboy-Advance-GBA-SP-11cm-Black.jpg_640x640.jpghttps://boygeniusreport.files.wordpress.com/2016/09/iphone-7-headphone-adapter-dongle.jpg?quality=98&strip=all
Damn! Really? So that means Apple stole Nintendo's idea. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/18 at 12:29 am

I don't think 50 was "mainstream" before In Da Club. He was around and in the game but me and mostly everyone first knew him from In Da Club. In Da Club changed rap music, one of the other reasons why 2003 was leaving early '00s culture. That song was the number one song of the year.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/12/18 at 12:32 am

"Well, it's not that 2002 was the same as 2004, it's that both years were not that conflicting from each other."

I still wouldn't put them in the same category. 2003 I can totally understand because sometimes I find myself confusing things from 2003 with 2004.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/12/18 at 12:49 am

I don't think 50 was "mainstream" before In Da Club. He was around and in the game but I and mostly everyone first knew him from In Da Club. In Da Club changed rap music, one of the other reasons why 2003 was leaving early '00s culture. That song was the number one song of the year.
Well, he was well-known in the Hip-hop community. However, I don't think 50's tracks were that different from Ja Rule's music though. I mean, I listened to their songs again a few years ago, and there wasn't anything in mind that separated them. Besides, both of them had the same image.

I still wouldn't put them in the same category. 2003 I can understand because sometimes I find myself confusing things from 2003 with 2004.
Well to me, I used to separate 2003 from 2004, but after looking at 00s pop culture once more, I don't there's such a difference between them anymore. I will say though while 2002 and '04 have some differences, the pop culture was nearly the same

Written By: Encoder319 on 06/12/18 at 1:11 am

Can't we just say that 2003 was an early-mid year, not unlike other "3" years? Because that's exactly what it was.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/12/18 at 1:18 am

Can't we just say that 2003 was an early-mid year, not unlike other "3" years? Because that's exactly what it was.

Yes. 👏

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/12/18 at 11:45 am

Nah, I still say it's better for the 00s to be in halves. 2004 wasn't that drastic from 2000/01 and 2008/09 weren't that distinct from 2005/06.

That's interesting. I still wouldn't put them in the same category. 2003 I can totally understand because sometimes I find myself confusing things from 2003 with 2004.

I can relate. Hey Ya is 03 but feels literally 04. I Like That is 04 but feels completely 03.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/12/18 at 11:52 am

That's interesting.
I can relate. Hey Ya is 03 but feels literally 04. I Like That is 04 but feels completely 03.

Exactly. T.I. - Bring 'Em Out feels 100% 2003 but came out in '04. It's because some tracks were recorded in 03 then released in 04 but still lol.

Written By: batfan2005 on 06/12/18 at 6:40 pm

I didn't play Wind Waker much (I used to own it), but I never thought I'd hear anyone would say it's a BAD Zelda game.

I enjoyed Wind Waker. Yeah, it's not Ocarina of Time but no Zelda game lived up to that, until Breath of the Wild.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/12/18 at 7:05 pm

That's interesting.
It is. I mean, if you think about it, for example, 2004 R&B didn't sound that much different from the 2002 tracks. Singers such as Mario, B2K, Ashanti, Usher, Beyonce (and Destiny's Child) and Alicia Keys made music within that period. I understand that Akon and Ciara weren't on the scene yet, but they're only two singers and don't represent the entire R&B arena. If you want another case in point, 2004 Hip-hop wasn't all that distinct from 2002. 50 Cent, Lil' Jon, Nelly, Eminem and Missy Elliott had songs in both years as well as that Crunk began to take place within that timeframe. I will only let you know however that music is only one component of pop culture and doesn't necessarily define the whole decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/18 at 7:10 pm

It is. I mean, if you think about it, for example, 2004 R&B didn't sound that much different from the 2002 tracks. Singers such as Mario, B2K, Ashanti, Usher, Beyonce (and Destiny's Child) and Alicia Keys made music within that period. I understand that Akon and Ciara weren't on the scene yet, but they're only two singers and don't represent the entire R&B arena. If you want another case in point, 2004 Hip-hop wasn't all that distinct from 2002. 50 Cent, Lil' Jon, Nelly, Eminem and Missy Elliott had songs in both years as well as that Crunk began to take place within that timeframe. I will only let you know however that music is only one component of pop culture and doesn't necessarily define the whole decade.

There's more to music than just R&B. The 2000s R&B sound lasted up until 2007. But plenty of other styles of music changed that separate the early 2000s from the mid 2000s.

Written By: piecesof93 on 06/12/18 at 7:23 pm

R&B in 2002 has a more clean cut, glam sound while 2004 R&B is more gritty.

Just an example, listen to Nivea "Don't Mess With My Man" (2002) and then listen to "Okay" 2004.

Listen to a song from Alicia Keys "Songs in A Minor" and then listen to from Diary of AK, like "Karma."

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/12/18 at 8:30 pm

There's more to music than just R&B. The 2000s R&B sound lasted up until 2007. But plenty of other styles of music changed that separate the early 2000s from the mid-2000s.
Which is why I listed Hip-hop as another example. As for the others, SeaCaptain laid down the facts regarding Rock music. He stated that Pop-punk still sounded more skater than Emo until around Summer 2004 thanks to bands such as Simple Plan, Yellowcard, Fountains of Wayne, Fall Out Boy and Blink-182. Then he mentioned Post-grunge was still an ongoing phenomenon due to musical groups being 3 Doors Down, Breaking Benjamin, Foo Fighters, Hoobastank, and Lifehouse. Then SeaCaptain additionally added that the Avril Lavigne/Michelle Branch/Liz Phair scene was still prevalent as well. Even Zeldafan added that Nu-Metal was still a thing and that was because of ensembles like Linkin Park, System of a Down, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot. Last, he then stated that pop singers such as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and JLO were still mainstream. All of these genres (whether they were variations or not) were all still relevant by 2004. Now with that said, you still have to remember that music is one component of pop culture. You still would have to factor in cinema, video games, technology, fashion and politics to get an overall view of how pop culture was like throughout the 2000s. 

R&B in 2002 has a more clean cut, glam sound compared to 2004 R&B which is more gritty.

Just an example, listen to Nivea "Don't Mess With My Man" (2002) and then listen to "Okay" 2004.

Listen to a song from Alicia Keys "Songs in A Minor" and then listen to from Diary of AK, like "Karma."
I have listened to all four songs before. While the ones from 2002 sound different from the ones released in 2004, that's not enough to say R&B went through a significant change.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/12/18 at 8:53 pm

Which is why I listed Hip-hop as another example. As for the others, SeaCaptain laid down the facts regarding Rock music. He stated that Pop-punk still sounded more skater than Emo until around Summer 2004 thanks to bands such as Simple Plan, Yellowcard, Fountains of Wayne, Fall Out Boy and Blink-182. Then he mentioned Post-grunge was still an ongoing phenomenon due to musical groups being 3 Doors Down, Breaking Benjamin, Foo Fighters, Hoobastank, and Lifehouse. Then SeaCaptain additionally added that the Avril Lavigne/Michelle Branch/Liz Phair scene was still prevalent as well. Even Zeldafan added that Nu-Metal was still a thing and that was because of ensembles like Linkin Park, System of a Down, Limp Bizkit and Slipknot. Last, he then stated that pop singers such as Britney Spears, Christina Aguilera, and JLO were still mainstream. All of these genres (whether they were variations or not) were all still relevant by 2004. Now with that said, you still have to remember that music is one component of pop culture. You still would have to factor in cinema, video games, technology, fashion and politics to get an overall view of how pop culture was like throughout the 2000s. 
I have listened to all four songs before. While the ones from 2002 sound different from the ones released in 2004, that's not enough to say R&B went through a significant change.

Hip Hop has very well changed in 2003 and is quite different in the mid '00s verses the early '00s. In Da Club sounds nothing like rap that would come out in 2001. Neither does "Where is the love" by BEP.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/12/18 at 9:09 pm

Hip Hop has very well changed in 2003 and is quite different in the mid-'00s versus the early '00s. In Da Club sounds nothing like rap that would come out in 2001. Neither does "Where is the love" by BEP.
In Da Club is still one song though. I understand that it was a significant hit, but it doesn't reflect the entire hip-hop scene. Plus, you're only looking at a particular sub-genre which is the kind 50 Cent made. Crunk-music, glam rap, and the Hip-hop stuff like Outkast were still relevant in 2003.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/12/18 at 9:15 pm

In Da Club is still one song though. I understand that it was a significant hit, but it doesn't reflect the entire hip-hop scene. Plus, you're only looking at a particular sub-genre which is the kind 50 Cent made. Crunk-music, glam rap, and the Hip-hop stuff like Outkast were still relevant in 2003.
Yea 2003 definitely had signs leading into the era of the crunk and ringtone rap. Songs like Lil John Get Low, Chingy Right Turr and Fat Joe and Bonecrusher Never Scared had a mid 00s vibe but you still had songs like Snoop Dogg Beatiful, Jay Z Change Clothes and B2K Bump Bump that sound very early 2000s ish.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/12/18 at 9:26 pm

Yea 2003 had signs leading into the era of the crunk-music and ringtone rap. Songs like Lil John Get Low, Chingy Right Turr and Fat Joe and Bonecrusher Never Scared had a mid-00s vibe, but you still had songs like Snoop Dogg Beautiful, Jay Z Change Clothes and B2K Bump Bump that sound very early 2000s ish.
Agreed and that 2003, as well as '04, had the other sub-genres of hip-hop too. There was still stuff like Outkast and Eminem, and then you also had rappers such as Ludacris and Baby Bash who had that hit song Suga Suga.

Written By: mwalker1996 on 06/12/18 at 9:45 pm

Yeah 2003 was a transformative year.

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/13/18 at 12:17 am

I still see the 2000s with three separate parts because that's how I see it. Its more fun like that. I'm used to it.

Check for new replies or respond here...