inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Nu Metal

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/04/14 at 3:51 am

More 90's or 00's?

Subject: Re: Nu Metal

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/04/14 at 5:14 am

1998-2003

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/04/14 at 6:20 pm

Early to mid 2000's at the height of, but began late 90's. Nu Metal is mentioned in another topic too. At the later part of the 2000's what was being played on rock stations changed a little. It had less of a "metal" sound to it.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/05/14 at 4:38 am

I made this thread because I saw someone mention nu metal still around in the mid-00's. I thought it was over with by then.

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/05/14 at 6:10 am

There's still nu-metal, but it has a different sound now.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/05/14 at 11:12 pm

Ugh! Please don't get me started on that!  ::) :P

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/06/14 at 2:42 am

Ugh! Please don't get me started on that!  ::) :P

You don't like nu-metal?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/06/14 at 12:05 pm

You don't like nu-metal?

No I don't.  :P Unfortunately it was a very overplayed genre of music.  :P

http://youtu.be/JTMVOzPPtiw

JTMVOzPPtiw

And very loud and obnoxious.  :P

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/06/14 at 6:40 pm

No I don't.  :P Unfortunately it was a very overplayed genre of music.  :P

http://youtu.be/JTMVOzPPtiw

JTMVOzPPtiw

And very loud and obnoxious.  :P

Limp Bizkit. A band that shouldn't be called any kind of "metal."

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/06/14 at 8:51 pm

Exactly my point Kanata Queen. 

http://youtu.be/1yw1Tgj9-VU

1yw1Tgj9-VU

:P

Written By: Visor765 on 07/06/14 at 9:59 pm

2000s.

Written By: Ripley on 03/01/15 at 1:24 pm

1998 is when it became popular. The height didn't last long. By the mid 00s Korn, an old favorite of mine, Limp Bizkit and other nu bands were not as mainstream.

Written By: yelimsexa on 03/02/15 at 9:04 am

IMO if your graduated from the class of 2000-2004 or so, expect lots of these songs at your reunions. I felt that it was sort of a neo-return to some of the '80s hair sound, but with a bit more raw, yet polished feel incorporating some rapping with a more plaid and casual look with shorter hair. But the term Nu Metal was first used in a concert review of Coal Chamber in 1995, and was still around until Emo's rise c. 2004. As a result, I see it as a very "Millenial era" genre, transcending the later '90s and earier '00s. California had this trend first and wasn't popular out East here until around 1997 or 1998. It basically coincided with Teen Pop, and I remember in high school that if you liked Teen Pop, you were a fag who should be in middle school.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/03/15 at 12:28 am

IMO if your graduated from the class of 2000-2004 or so, expect lots of these songs at your reunions. I felt that it was sort of a neo-return to some of the '80s hair sound, but with a bit more raw, yet polished feel incorporating some rapping with a more plaid and casual look with shorter hair. But the term Nu Metal was first used in a concert review of Coal Chamber in 1995, and was still around until Emo's rise c. 2004. As a result, I see it as a very "Millenial era" genre, transcending the later '90s and earier '00s. California had this trend first and wasn't popular out East here until around 1997 or 1998. It basically coincided with Teen Pop, and I remember in high school that if you liked Teen Pop, you were a fag who should be in middle school.

Coal Chamber split and Devildriver was born! A band still active now with a heavier sound. Same singer. I don't hear the 80's hear metal influence at all. I did however hear alot of industrial influence with several of these bands. Nu Metal to me is a definition of a wide range of music hardcore enough to be called metal, yet just happen to be "radio friendly." Bands I used to like when I went to school still exist, but their sound evolved. Godsmack sounds different now, a band that was big time a Millenial high school years band. More on the hard rock side now, but is also classed as alternative metal. 

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/24/15 at 3:25 pm

2000s. Nu metal is basically just a more hardcore version of Rap Rock.

If we're talking about just regular Rap Rock here, then I associate it more with the '90s.

Check for new replies or respond here...