inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Isn't it amazing how bad people's memories are?

Written By: Visor765 on 07/10/14 at 9:23 pm

And how quickly they seem to forget things? It struck me when I was looking up things for "2000s fashion", and a certain article (I couldn't find it) said "The only decade that seems to be missing from 2000s fashion is the 70s". This was a post made at the end of the decade. It made me realize how people only remember recent things and forget everything else that's older than three years. The 2000s revived a bunch of 70s fashions, for both men and women. Here's a list:

1. Low-Rise Pants (Unisex)
2. Bell Bottoms (Briefly Unisex, but mostly for girls)
3. Tracksuits (Unisex)
4. Platform Shoes (Girls)
5. Tennis Shoes (Unisex)
6. Highlighted Hair (Unisex)
7. Bell-Sleeve Shirts (Girls)
8. Metallic Clothes (Unisex, Year 2000 "Y2K Fashion")
9. Tube Tops (Girls)
10. Belly Shirts (Girls)

This was made back in 2003, when the 2000s were still young:http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/fashion/2003/10/hello_moon.html In the post the woman says "But the strongest argument for the persistence of the trend might simply be that we want to dress like the '70s because we feel like we're starring in a reprise of that decade". Which proves my point, 2000s fashion was mostly inspired by the 70s. For those who think guys never wore flared pants in the 2000s, here's a link:http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/1541392/posts In the comment section if you scroll down far enough you will spot a person who states "News Flash: American Men Wear Their Hair Whatever Way They Have To In Order To Get Laid. That goes for clothes, too. I never thought those ugly-ass flare pants would come back into style, but I see guys wearing them all the time. Madness." This was when the mid-2000s were current, so if something is in recent memory it's always more valuable than something that is in distant memory because memories fade over time and eventually they become less reliable. The fashion industry has a terrible memory. At least the music industry is eidetic.

Subject: Re: Isn't it amazing how bad people's memories are?

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/11/14 at 7:53 am

Low rise jeans were after the year 2000 when you found them all over. 2000 still had higher rise. That's girl's jeans though, guy's just sagged their pants. Pants still have flares now! Just the more bootcut variety and not so wide. Tracksuits weren't really unisex. There were men's/women's versions. Clothing was more casual back then, so it seemed, and athletic pants were sold in all of them. Usually of jersey material or something semi-silky. I don't know how to describe that better. These days it's yoga pants for women, sweatpants for men. Platform shoes just gave way to ultra high heels. Clogs are definately out. Everyone still wears tennis shoes! People still highlight their hair too, women more so. Bell sleeve shirts? The bohemian tunics, whatever you call them. I still see them. I don't see metallic clothing, but embellished more with rhinestones and everything. Some jeans used to have a shiny texture to them. Tube tops are still worn, and there are plenty of crop tops, only now paired with high rise jeans.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/11/14 at 10:44 am

Low rise jeans were after the year 2000 when you found them all over. 2000 still had higher rise. That's girl's jeans though, guy's just sagged their pants. Pants still have flares now! Just the more bootcut variety and not so wide. Tracksuits weren't really unisex. There were men's/women's versions. Clothing was more casual back then, so it seemed, and athletic pants were sold in all of them. Usually of jersey material or something semi-silky. I don't know how to describe that better. These days it's yoga pants for women, sweatpants for men. Platform shoes just gave way to ultra high heels. Clogs are definately out. Everyone still wears tennis shoes! People still highlight their hair too, women more so. Bell sleeve shirts? The bohemian tunics, whatever you call them. I still see them. I don't see metallic clothing, but embellished more with rhinestones and everything. Some jeans used to have a shiny texture to them. Tube tops are still worn, and there are plenty of crop tops, only now paired with high rise jeans.

Tracksuits - polyester? Because that's what makes clothes really shiny and disco-y. I can't really think of another fabric because the price of a silk tracksuit would be outrageous...

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/11/14 at 6:55 pm

Tracksuits - polyester? Because that's what makes clothes really shiny and disco-y. I can't really think of another fabric because the price of a silk tracksuit would be outrageous...

I don't know what they were made of, but they were stretchy and alot of them had a dull shine to them sort of. They weren't like sweatpants or sweatshirts.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/14/14 at 9:36 am

I don't know what they were made of, but they were stretchy and alot of them had a dull shine to them sort of. They weren't like sweatpants or sweatshirts.

The Adidas tracksuits are 100% made out of polyester tricot. The tracksuits are pretty shiny when under certain lights, so maybe that's it. The only other fabrics I can think of that other tracksuits are made out of are velour, nylon (shell suits), or terry cloth.

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/14/14 at 9:13 pm

The Adidas tracksuits are 100% made out of polyester tricot. The tracksuits are pretty shiny when under certain lights, so maybe that's it. The only other fabrics I can think of that other tracksuits are made out of are velour, nylon (shell suits), or terry cloth.

Nylon does not breathe! You sweat to death in it!

Written By: 80sfan on 07/14/14 at 9:46 pm

I remember Britney Spears wearing them in her I'm A Slave 4 U video, she didn't start it I don't think, but she made it even more popular. I think other stars made it famous too I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzybwwf2HoQ

Written By: Visor765 on 07/20/14 at 11:23 pm

I remember Britney Spears wearing them in her I'm A Slave 4 U video, she didn't start it I don't think, but she made it even more popular. I think other stars made it famous too I think.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mzybwwf2HoQ

They did, but I think they became popular after 9/11 happened.

Check for new replies or respond here...