inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think rappers ruin pop songs?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/29/14 at 12:11 am

ET and California Gurls sound a lot better without rap

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anCqGZZqryQ
This version is a lot better without Kanye

I found that pop songs with unnecessary rap verses added sound a lot better without it

Subject: Re: Do you think rappers ruin pop songs?

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/29/14 at 12:56 am

I like the song by Lil' Jon Let's Go, done to the tune of an Ozzy song. Not pop inspired, but it definately didn't ruin the song. I've heard rock bands do remakes of pop songs before. It depends on taste if you like the original or remake better.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/29/14 at 11:05 am

I found that pop songs with unnecessary rap verses added sound a lot better without it

Unnecessary rap verses added to pop songs are a hallmark of the transition away from the hip-hop dominated '00s into the teen electropop era of the '10s.  I have noticed less of that in recent years.  Most rap songs are either urban/rhythmic songs to begin with or party songs with a rap verse that complements it well such as anything with Pitbull.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/29/14 at 11:31 am

I find it hilarious how some rappers manage to twist the words and meaning of a song and turn their verses into objectifying women.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 07/29/14 at 2:35 pm

I find it hilarious how some rappers manage to twist the words and meaning of a song and turn their verses into objectifying women.  ;D

I've heard that in loads of rapper's songs.

Written By: Howard on 07/29/14 at 2:36 pm

I don't think rappers ruin songs, they just put their own rhythm to it.

Written By: Bobby on 07/29/14 at 9:10 pm

I don't really have a problem with rap, especially stuff that is actually intelligible, but I am surprised how long this phenomena has been around.

I'm trying to think of some of the earliest examples. Hip-hop groups like Run DMC and Beastie Boys focused on the rap first and the 'pop' chorus second.

Unless other members here can point to earlier examples, the first major tracks I can remember of a rap entering a pop song were the Euro Italo type songs like 'Boys Boys Boys' by Sabrina in 1988 and S/A/W's 'Time Warp' featuring Damian in 1989.

C8B8sNXpcGg - cheesy rap at 2:35

gti_D7jx7cM - cheesy rap at 2:36

As for whether I think rappers ruin pop songs determines whether I think the pop songs were good enough to begin with. Mainly, I think rap takes away from the pop song as it doesn't really add anything to it or make it better and the lyrics are usually banal if they actually make sense to begin with. The rap insertion just panders to mainstream expectations.

Written By: Foo Bar on 07/29/14 at 10:57 pm

I don't really have a problem with rap, especially stuff that is actually intelligible, but I am surprised how long this phenomena has been around.

I'm trying to think of some of the earliest examples. Hip-hop groups like Run DMC and Beastie Boys focused on the rap first and the 'pop' chorus second.

Unless other members here can point to earlier examples, the first major tracks I can remember of a rap entering a pop song were the Euro Italo type songs like 'Boys Boys Boys' by Sabrina in 1988 and S/A/W's 'Time Warp' featuring Damian in 1989.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8B8sNXpcGg - cheesy rap at 2:35

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gti_D7jx7cM - cheesy rap at 2:36

Lulz.  I thought I was the only person who remembered that Time Warp cover!

Earliest I remember was 1989/1990, when Technotronic had both mostly-instrumental and vocal versions of "This Beat is Technotronic", "Get Up", "Tough", etc. 

Jl9SY0vrRUg

1990 also brought us C&C Music Factory, where the rap was an integral part of the music:

ZEQydmaPjF0

Technotronic filled floors with or without vocals; C&C followed a more traditional song structure and wouldn't have been nearly as popular without the lyrics.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/29/14 at 11:26 pm

Personally, I have never liked rap. There are a few songs I like but overall the genre never appealed to me.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/14 at 7:40 am

for many years.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/14 at 7:43 am

Rap was never meant to intelligent, All they do or what they did back in the days was talk or sing fast and put their own rhythm and beat to it.

Written By: Bobby on 07/30/14 at 8:28 am

Lulz.  I thought I was the only person who remembered that Time Warp cover!

Well, as they say...Time is a great healer.  ;D

In all honesty, I enjoyed this version as a kid and once in a while I have a listen to it as it reminds me of a specific part of my school days, towards the end of my Junior School period.

Earliest I remember was 1989/1990, when Technotronic had both mostly-instrumental and vocal versions of "This Beat is Technotronic", "Get Up", "Tough", etc. 

1990 also brought us C&C Music Factory, where the rap was an integral part of the music:

Technotronic filled floors with or without vocals; C&C followed a more traditional song structure and wouldn't have been nearly as popular without the lyrics.

I enjoyed Technotronic with 'Pump up the Jam', 'This Beat is Technotronic' and 'Blockin' over the beat'.

'Gonna make you sweat (everybody dance now)' by C&C Music Factory was my favourite.  8)

What I do find irritating with rap music is the jarring element it has on a pop song these days. Back in the late 1980s/early 1990s rap within a song usually flowed with the music as now it seems like it's tacked into the song as an afterthought.

Here is an example of sorts. This is the UK No 1 at the moment. 'Crazy Stupid Love' by Cheryl Cole featuring Tinie Tempah. The song is alright, it just didn't need the forced rap around the 2:43 to get over.

H8tS5UQmNQM

Written By: Bobby on 07/30/14 at 8:49 am

Rap was never meant to intelligent, All they do or what they did back in the days was talk or sing fast and put their own rhythm and beat to it.

Rap did have a social conscience back in the early 1980s when 'The Message' and 'White Lines' by Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five came out but, for the most part, it seems to glorify materialism and instant gratification and that stemmed all the way back to the original mainstream rap track - 'Rappers Delight' by The SugarHill Gang. What are they singing about? Their material possessions, how amazing they are, how the women love them and their sexual prowess. About 35 years on, I believe for the most part that rap has become a lyrical form of overcompensation.

TW9RUmpR-KM

Yes, it's true. The overweight man on the left says he has 'super sperm'...

Written By: Paul on 07/30/14 at 9:08 am

That's his opinion! Obviously edited out for radio, so perhaps many listeners didn't know!

OT - nice to see you back posting here, Bob! How's things been?

Written By: Bobby on 07/30/14 at 9:30 am

That's his opinion! Obviously edited out for radio, so perhaps many listeners didn't know!

OT - nice to see you back posting here, Bob! How's things been?

Haha, maybe he comes from Krypton.

The edited version of the song is pretty long so am surprised to hear there was more material cut away.

Thank you kindly, sir. It is always a pleasure to see you here too.

Things have been going steady but very well. I still work for Royal Mail and am still taking driving lessons to get over my fear of driving. It's a bit of a slog but one of those 'can drive very well but can't seem to pass the test on the day' things. I have found out I am going to be an uncle again as my brother is expecting a child soon.  :)

What about yourself, Paul? Are you still working at the same place? Found yourself a special Miss/Mrs Paul?  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/30/14 at 1:42 pm

Rap did have a social conscience back in the early 1980s when 'The Message' and 'White Lines' by Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five came out but, for the most part, it seems to glorify materialism and instant gratification and that stemmed all the way back to the original mainstream rap track - 'Rappers Delight' by The SugarHill Gang. What are they singing about? Their material possessions, how amazing they are, how the women love them and their sexual prowess. About 35 years on, I believe for the most part that rap has become a lyrical form of overcompensation.

TW9RUmpR-KM

I was just saying back in the days rap had a message but later on after the 90's it was all unintelligent.

Written By: Howard on 07/30/14 at 1:43 pm

That's Big Bank Hank.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/31/14 at 7:02 pm

Even though I've always been pretty vocal about disliking most rap and rhythmic kinda music like this...shockingly I don't mind rap verses in pop songs. I think California Gurlz is quite catchy, and its the first thing Snoop was in I liked. :) I think the simple reason (for me anyway) is that it adds to the diversity of the song, so its not the same tempo or melody all the way through. 80s songs did this alot.

Check for new replies or respond here...