inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Youtube indie anymore?

Written By: Sita0 on 08/04/14 at 1:01 pm

I think it definitely was in the 2000s, a site where you could find some particularly neat home videos. Back then, the top page was comprised of 3 main things:

1. Blooper Videos
2. Homemade comedy
3. Rick Astley

.... with some vloggers and funny animals on the side. A cursory glance at the front page today shows a few main components:

1. Pop Music (by the original artists)
2. Movie Trailers (uploaded by the companies themselves)
3. A few youtubers that have been around since the beginning

So, do you think that the site has changed?

Subject: Re: Is Youtube indie anymore?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 2:08 pm

Yes, it has. I've been going on YouTube since 2006 and the whole site has changed. Today, there is TV ads, Vevo music videos, Youtubers making business, and becoming celebrities. There is also a variety of genres that go from beauty, music, video games, comedy, DIY steps, Tutorials, and TV. I dont even think its independent anymore. When I first went on the site, it was an exciting moment to watch funny videos, home videos and other things. These days, you still see funny videos, but you dont see many home ones anymore. 

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/14 at 2:15 pm

Youtube is commercial now.  You don't see a lot of home videos like you did in the '00s.  It's mostly a business now and nothing like the free video sharing site it began as.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/14 at 2:30 pm

My impression was/is that Youtube was meant to become bigger and mainstream. I never saw it as an indie thing, even when it started in 2005.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/14 at 2:31 pm

I think it definitely was in the 2000s, a site where you could find some particularly neat home videos. Back then, the top page was comprised of 3 main things:

1. Blooper Videos
2. Homemade comedy
3. Rick Astley

.... with some vloggers and funny animals on the side. A cursory glance at the front page today shows a few main components:

1. Pop Music (by the original artists)
2. Movie Trailers (uploaded by the companies themselves)
3. A few youtubers that have been around since the beginning

So, do you think that the site has changed?

Yes I believe YouTube has changed from that of 10 years ago. Now it has become more of a social networking site.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/14 at 2:32 pm

Yes I believe YouTube has changed from that of 10 years ago. Now it has become more of a social networking site.

2015 will be Youtube's 10th anniversary.  :P

Written By: Howard on 08/04/14 at 2:33 pm

Youtube is commercial now.  You don't see a lot of home videos like you did in the '00s.  It's mostly a business now and nothing like the free video sharing site it began as.

and the commercials get ridiculous sometimes. ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/04/14 at 2:34 pm

My impression was/is that Youtube was meant to become bigger and mainstream. I never saw it as an indie thing, even when it started in 2005.

They want it now to become a social networking site.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/14 at 3:11 pm

They want it now to become a social networking site.

Like Facebook?  :(

Written By: Visor765 on 08/04/14 at 3:46 pm

Don't forget ALOT of anime music videos! YouTube was an absolute haven for anime fans, as a matter of fact, I think YouTube in 2005 and 2006/early 2007 were all about videos from anime fans... And I started in late 2005 when absolutely no one knew what it was! I kept it a secret from my family and friends for a while lol.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/04/14 at 8:11 pm

I also remember youtube was used as a video diary website too. People would use it to talk about their lives and issues.

Written By: Sita0 on 08/04/14 at 10:00 pm

I also remember youtube was used as a video diary website too. People would use it to talk about their lives and issues.

Yep! Vlogging.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 08/05/14 at 12:11 am

You Tube was brought out and sold to Google so there's not much you can do about that.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/14 at 2:22 pm

Like Facebook?  :(

a little like Facebook.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/14 at 2:23 pm

I remember those days.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/14 at 2:25 pm

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1023/547121331_d531b985c5.jpg

YouTube 2005.

Written By: Sita0 on 08/05/14 at 5:49 pm

You Tube was brought out and sold to Google so there's not much you can do about that.

I think youtube still held the same vibe when it was bought out in 2006 through 2010-2011 or so. Maybe it's more indicative of a change in the culture of Google as a whole.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/14 at 2:35 pm

I think youtube still held the same vibe when it was bought out in 2006 through 2010-2011 or so. Maybe it's more indicative of a change in the culture of Google as a whole.

Google wants to own everything.  ::)

Written By: Jquar on 08/06/14 at 11:06 pm

Youtube is owned by Google now, so it's definitely not to be considered indie. Unless you also consider Google indie.

Check for new replies or respond here...