inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When do you think the 00s shock value culture will end?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/06/14 at 5:56 pm

I'm getting very tired of Miley's over the top behavior and the Family Guy esque shock culture. There is only so much shock culture you can take.

Subject: Re: When do you think the 00s shock value culture will end?

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/06/14 at 7:06 pm

If it gets to the point people become indifferent, it might. I'm sick of it too.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/06/14 at 11:59 pm

Didn't it start in the 60s and escalated since? Even in the 1920s there were hints of shock in films or books.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/07/14 at 10:46 am

Exactly, I don't think shock value culture is anything new. Think Alice Cooper in the 1970's and Marilyn Manson in the 1990's, for just a few examples.

Written By: Howard on 08/07/14 at 2:19 pm

If it gets to the point people become indifferent, it might. I'm sick of it too.

It'll stop when people will stop printing news articles about their stupidity every single day. ::)

Written By: Bobby on 08/07/14 at 7:11 pm

Didn't it start in the 60s and escalated since? Even in the 1920s there were hints of shock in films or books.

I think you are right that things have escalated as people have become desensitised to shock. The more desensitised a society gets, the more accepting it is.

The sensationalistic film 'Reefer Madness' came out in the 1930s to caution people away from marijuana and an obscenity trial came about for the book 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' by D.H Lawrence in the 1950s.

I don't think shock culture has changed as all it has done is get more extreme. I think the audience is too in the know these days and shock has become so commonplace that it has become predictable or the new norm. Back in the old days people were more naive and susceptible (panic occurred when people really thought aliens were attacking the earth when 'War of the Worlds' came out on radio in 1938).

Pushing boundaries, for better or worse, is what human beings are pretty good at.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/07/14 at 9:58 pm

I'm getting very tired of Miley's over the top behavior and the Family Guy esque shock culture. There is only so much shock culture you can take.

I would say it already has ended.

Remember the hip-hop in the early '00s?  Artists like Eminem/D12?  There is nothing in pop music today that pushes the envelope like they did.  There really isn't anything quite like Lady Gaga in 2009.  This is definitely not an era of shock culture in my opinion.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/07/14 at 11:50 pm

I think you are right that things have escalated as people have become desensitised to shock. The more desensitised a society gets, the more accepting it is.

The sensationalistic film 'Reefer Madness' came out in the 1930s to caution people away from marijuana and an obscenity trial came about for the book 'Lady Chatterley's Lover' by D.H Lawrence in the 1950s.

I don't think shock culture has changed as all it has done is get more extreme. I think the audience is too in the know these days and shock has become so commonplace that it has become predictable or the new norm. Back in the old days people were more naive and susceptible (panic occurred when people really thought aliens were attacking the earth when 'War of the Worlds' came out on radio in 1938).

Pushing boundaries, for better or worse, is what human beings are pretty good at.

Great points. Not many people can do shock good or at least in an entertaining way, it takes a certain type of artiness and genius I think. I can't do it either, but I think some are great at it!

Written By: Howard on 08/08/14 at 6:43 am

There really isn't anything quite like Lady Gaga in 2009.

Lady Gaga made "shock value" surprising.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/09/14 at 5:54 pm

It'll stop when people will stop printing news articles about their stupidity every single day. ::)

Exactly. That's what fuels it. Even when something isn't shocking, the scandal sheets make it seem that way.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/09/14 at 5:59 pm

Exactly. That's what fuels it. Even when something isn't shocking, the scandal sheets make it seem that way.  ::)

Do I really need to know about Kim Kardashian's fat ass or Lindsey Lohan smoking a hookah? Please! there's other news articles to print besides these morons. ::)

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/09/14 at 6:14 pm

Do I really need to know about Kim Kardashian's fat ass or Lindsey Lohan smoking a hookah? Please! there's other news articles to print besides these morons. ::)

Or do we care?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 08/10/14 at 2:45 pm

Or do we care?  ::)

Hey Katana look at this Kim Kartrashian took another selfie. ::)

and you know she's going to make a 352 page book of selfies, Oh how nice, like I really give a s h i t!  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...