inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How much 2000's fashion was your style?

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/19/14 at 5:14 pm

I was a teenager, so my daily fashion involved some of the trends of the time needless to say. I remember stores in the mall being either super preppy, or dedicated to clothing that looked more club appropriate than for school. Here are some of the things I wore, and miss...and sadly outgrew...  ;D

-Shiny black pants
-Black bell bottoms with studs
-Red mesh top
-Tight black top with zodiac sign on it in metallic print
-Jeans that laced up the sides
-T-shirt with Hawaiian flowers in tattoo design
-Metallic lipstick

I never owned the platform flip flops or did the pink and green combination, among other things.

Subject: Re: How much 2000's fashion was your style?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/19/14 at 7:15 pm

Since I was around hip-hop fashion, my style consisted of Air Jordans, Adidas, Nike, puffy jackets, wide leg jeans, and clothing from Southpole, Ecko, and Rocawear. I also wore sweatpants, Reeboks, baseball outfits and caps, other sport jerseys, jean shorts, T-shirts/tank tops, tracksuits, cargo shorts, and graphic shirts.

Written By: GH1996 on 08/20/14 at 2:45 am

Oh jeez...

I had kind of a skater look, never would leave the house without a quiksilver t shirt and converse or skate shoes, cargo pants or baggy jeans. Button up shirts every once in awhile but mostly t shirts with some sort of design

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/20/14 at 4:01 am

Oh jeez...

I had kind of a skater look, never would leave the house without a quiksilver t shirt and converse or skate shoes, cargo pants or baggy jeans. Button up shirts every once in awhile but mostly t shirts with some sort of design

Designs usually involved dragons, tigers, or Hawaiian flowers on some of those shirts. I remember when Chuck's were the type of shoes to wear, but I never wore them. My feet need cushioning!

For jewelry hemp necklaces were a thing too and I owned a few over the years, homemade or bought. Also ball bead chain necklaces and wearing more than one.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/20/14 at 3:39 pm

I had the nu-metal look from 2000 to mid-2001, with band shirts, semi baggy pants, those metal ball necklaces, spiky bracelets, and medium length parted hair. Then, from mid-2001 to mid-2006, I had the metalhead look, with long hair, combat boots, moderately tight black jeans, and band shirts. From mid 2006-to mid-2009, during the first part of my university career, I had a sort of hipster-prep look with button-up shirts and elements taken from the Romantic period of European history, like neckscarves tied like cravats with my blazer collar turned up. Around mid-2009, I adopted what I would call my smart casual goth look that persists more or less up to the present.

Written By: Mat1991 on 08/21/14 at 12:09 am

I dabbled in the "bling" trend during my adolescence by wearing chains around my neck. When I was twelve, I always wore several chains at once.

I also wore a lot of sloganized t-shirts and some collared shirts, which were also popular. I had a few of those button-down print shirts (which I remember were popular around the mid-'00s).

A lot of kids who were into the punk/emo scene wore rubber bracelets from Hot Topic. I was one of those kids, even though I never considered myself punk or emo.

Written By: XYkid on 08/21/14 at 1:24 am

As a preteen (years 2004-2007) I mostly just wore t-shirts and jeans, mostly graphic tees for that matter. I loved wearing cargo shorts, especially dark blue ones were my favourite when I was 10, I also went through an obsession with aloha shirts, my favourite being a red one with white flowers on it.
Around Grade 8 (began in 2007), I started wearing more skinny jeans and 'emo' type clothing.

Written By: GH1996 on 08/21/14 at 2:41 am

Designs usually involved dragons, tigers, or Hawaiian flowers on some of those shirts. I remember when Chuck's were the type of shoes to wear,

I think every guy I knew had a dragon graphic t shirt or button up at one time then... I think they started to get out of style late 2006 early 2007, I don't think I've seen one since then!

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/21/14 at 11:13 am

I wore regular clothes the whole decade; though a lot of polo's around 2004, because I was in a preppy environment. Then my hairstyle grew bigger and shaggier towards 2008. My jeans were loose; I had cargo's; I had leather sneakers. Near the end of the decade I tried to look neat, but I don't think I fooled anyone with my untucked shirts.

Written By: MissLori79 on 08/21/14 at 2:16 pm

I liked that the 2000s had more colors to choose from than the 1990s did, however I didn't care for alot of the trends in that decade. Everything was all about hip huggers, midriff tops, and "bling" at least until the latter half. I'm someone who adores dresses, skirts, and ultra feminine attire so I felt a little out of place :(

I like the 2010s the best as far as fashion decades go (that I've lived thru); dresses and skirts are mainstream, and the retro style (thanks to Mad Men) is mainstream as well.

In 2004 I wore a dress to church on Easter Sunday and I was the ONLY woman who did :( Everyone else had on hip huggers and flip flops (I wore those too, but I am totally a dress type of gal).

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/14 at 6:22 pm

Times New Roman

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/21/14 at 7:49 pm

I liked that the 2000s had more colors to choose from than the 1990s did, however I didn't care for alot of the trends in that decade. Everything was all about hip huggers, midriff tops, and "bling" at least until the latter half. I'm someone who adores dresses, skirts, and ultra feminine attire so I felt a little out of place :(

I like the 2010s the best as far as fashion decades go (that I've lived thru); dresses and skirts are mainstream, and the retro style (thanks to Mad Men) is mainstream as well.

In 2004 I wore a dress to church on Easter Sunday and I was the ONLY woman who did :( Everyone else had on hip huggers and flip flops (I wore those too, but I am totally a dress type of gal).

Low rise jeans were more comfortable than the mom jeans of the 90's, but some of them were too low and you'd show your buttcrack to the world when you bent over.  :o I don't miss last decade's dresses. They were that empire waist thing, but not enough room in the chest so you know what that produced if you had anything up there. I like fashion now because when I look around shopping girls don't all wear brand names like a uniform. They pick dressier outfits. Flowy tops with prints, leggings under skirts, scarves, etc. It looks nicer.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/22/14 at 2:42 pm

How common was this in the 2000s?

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/archive/2003/10/1_123125_122981_2078329_031010_lowrise_main.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/archive/2003/10/1_123125_122981_2078329_031010_lowrise_spot.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Here is where I got it from: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/fashion/2003/10/hello_moon.html

As a kid I wore cargo pants and exercise clothes for most of the 2000s until about 2008/09-ish.

My sister wore lots of trendy clothes, while also buying clothes that she would never wear (she said herself). From pictures, and from her memory, she wore bell-bottoms (both jeans and dress pants), turtlenecks, ribbed shirts, chunky sneakers (platform sneakers in the very early 2000s, as well as Skechers and Adidas shoes), polo shirts (short-sleeve and sleeveless), and cargo pants. In the early and mid 2000s she wore her hair long, she tied her hair up more in the mid 2000s, but I saw a picture of her in 2002 wearing pigtails (it was for school spirit, football game, she was in high school), she once tied her hair in a bun and put chopsticks in it (the picture was taken in 2000), and from December 2002 to December 2003 she permed her hair until January 2004 when she went back to her natural texture. I don't remember what she wore in the late 2000s, but I think she wore tank tops and sundresses. She's always dressed very well, she loves fashion.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/22/14 at 8:40 pm

How common was this in the 2000s?

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/archive/2003/10/1_123125_122981_2078329_031010_lowrise_main.jpg/_jcr_content/renditions/cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

http://www.slate.com/content/dam/slate/archive/2003/10/1_123125_122981_2078329_031010_lowrise_spot.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Here is where I got it from: http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/fashion/2003/10/hello_moon.html

As a kid I wore cargo pants and exercise clothes for most of the 2000s until about 2008/09-ish.

My sister wore lots of trendy clothes, while also buying clothes that she would never wear (she said herself). From pictures, and from her memory, she wore bell-bottoms (both jeans and dress pants), turtlenecks, ribbed shirts, chunky sneakers (platform sneakers in the very early 2000s, as well as Skechers and Adidas shoes), polo shirts (short-sleeve and sleeveless), and cargo pants. In the early and mid 2000s she wore her hair long, she tied her hair up more in the mid 2000s, but I saw a picture of her in 2002 wearing pigtails (it was for school spirit, football game, she was in high school), she once tied her hair in a bun and put chopsticks in it (the picture was taken in 2000), and from December 2002 to December 2003 she permed her hair until January 2004 when she went back to her natural texture. I don't remember what she wore in the late 2000s, but I think she wore tank tops and sundresses. She's always dressed very well, she loves fashion.

I've been guilty of buying stuff I barely wore too. Impulse shopping, it's a problem.  :-[I haven't had long hair since jr. high. I'm growing it out now after all those years. I used to tie my hair back tight back then too.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/25/14 at 11:58 am

Just girls? Or guys too (even if it's not hip huggers)?

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/25/14 at 12:10 pm

Oh god, do you remember the gaucho pants?  They were HUGE in 99.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/26/14 at 11:17 am

Low rise jeans were more comfortable than the mom jeans of the 90's, but some of them were too low and you'd show your buttcrack to the world when you bent over.  :o I don't miss last decade's dresses. They were that empire waist thing, but not enough room in the chest so you know what that produced if you had anything up there. I like fashion now because when I look around shopping girls don't all wear brand names like a uniform. They pick dressier outfits. Flowy tops with prints, leggings under skirts, scarves, etc. It looks nicer.

What do you mean?

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/26/14 at 8:26 pm

What do you mean?

Some of those babydoll tops with that empire waist. A line of stitching that seperated the chest from the rest of the shirt. Oftentimes the ratio was too much rest of the shirt and not enough room to cover your chest so you had massive cleavage spilling out.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/28/14 at 2:12 am

Oh god, do you remember the gaucho pants?  They were HUGE in 99.

Gaucho pants!! holy I remember all the moms/teachers would wear them when I was in elementary school! haven't seen them since then..

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/28/14 at 3:17 am

This style is very 00s. You would see people dressed like this with this style of hair all over the malls:

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/scene-kid-hair-287829.jpg

http://d75822.medialib.glogster.com/media/ce/ce50f5df221c2a4aab45724ebe230407431e59cd0e6aa4653ff71c34170ac233/scene-girls-are-hot-2.png

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/28/14 at 4:45 am

This style is very 00s. You would see people dressed like this with this style of hair all over the malls:

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/scene-kid-hair-287829.jpg

http://d75822.medialib.glogster.com/media/ce/ce50f5df221c2a4aab45724ebe230407431e59cd0e6aa4653ff71c34170ac233/scene-girls-are-hot-2.png

The anime haircut!

Written By: XYkid on 09/28/14 at 7:20 pm

Scene kids, that hit its peak in 2008.

Written By: Inertia on 09/28/14 at 7:53 pm

Scene kids, that hit its peak in 2008.

If you say so, I remember the whole scene look being more popular in 2006 than 2008. It was a fad when I was in high school.

Written By: XYkid on 09/29/14 at 12:26 am

If you say so, I remember the whole scene look being more popular in 2006 than 2008. It was a fad when I was in high school.
I remember more people being emo in 2006 than scene personally, but that might be where I live.
Scene kids were still fairly common where I lived until 2011 or 2012.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/29/14 at 3:00 am

I remember more people being emo in 2006 than scene personally, but that might be where I live.

I remember coming into school the first day and everyone had that scene look, it didn't last long around here about late 2006-2009, I don't think I've seen that style since then

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/29/14 at 5:49 am

What's the difference between emo and scene? When I was in high school there was the skater look and that was about it for anything similar.

Written By: Inertia on 09/29/14 at 8:15 am

What's the difference between emo and scene? When I was in high school there was the skater look and that was about it for anything similar.

Emo is more about attitude and scene is more about fashion.

Emo kids acted depressed and negative.

Scene kids weren't necessarily depressed, just liked dressing in a certain style.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/29/14 at 8:21 am

I remember there was a huge rivalry between the emo kids and scene kids in the late 00s. 

Written By: Howard on 09/29/14 at 1:40 pm

Emo is more about attitude and scene is more about fashion.

Emo kids acted depressed and negative.

Scene kids weren't necessarily depressed, just liked dressing in a certain style.

Why did they call it Emo?

Written By: GH1996 on 09/29/14 at 2:52 pm

Why did they call it Emo?

Could be wrong here but "emo" is also the first 3 letters of "emotional".

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/29/14 at 10:05 pm

Could be wrong here but "emo" is also the first 3 letters of "emotional".

It means emotional. Songs screamed instead of sung.

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/07/14 at 6:18 pm

A lot of the fashion mentioned in this thread sounds like mostly teenagers wore them. I was much older(in my 20s) so I dressed differently. Back then I wore many pretty tunics, because tunics were very popular for women especially from 2005-2008.

Written By: XYkid on 10/07/14 at 7:16 pm

A lot of the fashion mentioned in this thread sounds like mostly teenagers wore them. I was much older(in my 20s) so I dressed differently. Back then I wore many pretty tunics, because tunics were very popular for women especially from 2005-2008.
Reminds me of this advert from 2005...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_0WdYbvAr8

Written By: XYkid on 10/07/14 at 7:18 pm

Scene came after emo and was more happy and glittery than emo. Scene kids became popular because it was the easiest way to be alternative without entirely being seen as an 'emo' outcast.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/07/14 at 10:09 pm

Yeah, teens and early 20's. Tunics were called peasant tops and were also popular among girls.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/08/14 at 11:41 am

I just wear whatever hand me downs I get from relatives, basically. Mostly from my brother and dad. I don't have any sense of fashion nor enough money to buy anything nice.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 10/08/14 at 12:58 pm

http://allfinds.org/pict/men/3/92.jpg

As a man, when I was in Manhattan, I attended a vocational program and I saw a lot of men wearing casual and professional attires so I developed a little style for myself but not too dressy or over dressy just a shirt and a tie sometimes. As I grew up I've always worn T-shirts and shorts but getting into my older years it was more of a casual and professional look.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/15 at 6:12 am

As a man, when I was in Manhattan, I attended a vocational program and I used to watched men wearing casually parading up and down 5th Avenue in professional attires so I developed a little style for myself but so dressy or over dressy just a shirt and a tie sometimes. As I grew up I've always worn T-shirts and shorts but getting into my older years it was more of a casual and professional look.
Where is their jackets?

Written By: Howard on 01/03/15 at 7:37 am

Where is their jackets?

I don't think they wore jackets for the shoot.

Written By: nostalgicguy on 01/03/15 at 10:18 am

Scene and emo were both really popular styles in the mid and late 2000s. By 2009 the whole emo and scene thing really faded away. I remember the shaggy hair look on guys in the mid 2000s was popular too. I had most of my hair bleached blonde in 8th grade in Spring 2005. Big mistake because bleached blonde hair on guys went out of style in like 2002 hahaha.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/03/15 at 7:43 pm

I had the nu-metal look from 2000 to mid-2001, with band shirts, semi baggy pants, those metal ball necklaces, spiky bracelets, and medium length parted hair.

This was me in a nutshell, except I also had spiked hair back during the 2000-02 time period. Remember the spiked hair thing where every high school kid tried to look an extra in a Linkin Park video?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/03/15 at 7:48 pm

As a man, when I was in Manhattan, I attended a vocational program and I saw a lot of men wearing casual and professional attires so I developed a little style for myself but not too dressy or over dressy just a shirt and a tie sometimes. As I grew up I've always worn T-shirts and shorts but getting into my older years it was more of a casual and professional look.
The was my style when I last worked on a hot day, and with suited jacket on a cold day. I did work indoors.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/11/15 at 6:19 pm

Scene and emo were both really popular styles in the mid and late 2000s. By 2009 the whole emo and scene thing really faded away. I remember the shaggy hair look on guys in the mid 2000s was popular too. I had most of my hair bleached blonde in 8th grade in Spring 2005. Big mistake because bleached blonde hair on guys went out of style in like 2002 hahaha.

Actually bleached blonde hair was still cool on guys for awhile after that. Here is a source that mentions it from summer of 2003. It was uncool to call it "frosted hair" by that point and was instead called "surfer hair". The look was popular as far at least 2004. Maybe 2005, considering the early '00s holdovers that year but I'm not sure.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5gsDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA108

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/11/15 at 6:56 pm

Actually bleached blonde hair was still cool on guys for awhile after that. Here is a source that mentions it from summer of 2003. It was uncool to call it "frosted hair" by that point and was instead called "surfer hair". The look was popular as far at least 2004. Maybe 2005, considering the early '00s holdovers that year but I'm not sure.

http://books.google.com/books?id=5gsDAAAAMBAJ&pg=PA108

I remember when it was called "frosted" too and the first time mine was colored like that I was in 8th grade. It turned out very blonde.

Written By: Howard on 01/12/15 at 2:32 pm

I remember when it was called "frosted" too and the first time mine was colored like that I was in 8th grade. It turned out very blonde.

Why would girls want to frost their hair?  ???

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/12/15 at 6:22 pm

I wasn't allowed to frost it. "That's for ordinary children". Though that would have looked weird,
because of my thick curls. Really, curls are the boss always.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/12/15 at 11:25 pm

I wasn't allowed to frost it. "That's for ordinary children". Though that would have looked weird,
because of my thick curls. Really, curls are the boss always.

Ordinary children?

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/13/15 at 5:44 am

Ordinary children?

That's what my parents said; preferred me looking "neat".

Written By: Howard on 01/13/15 at 2:27 pm

That's what my parents said; preferred me looking "neat".

you didn't want to stand out in the crowd?

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/13/15 at 6:38 pm

Maybe not. Or I didn't dare. Now I look how I want though.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/15 at 4:52 am

I just want to be unnoticed in a crowd.

Check for new replies or respond here...