inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think the 2000s are better or worse than the 2010s?

Written By: Zelek on 08/21/14 at 5:39 pm

Lately, I've been noticing more and more people complain about how they hate the 2010s and how they miss the early-mid 00s (2000-2007), back when "they still had re-runs of 90s shows" and "kids still played outside". I know this happened with every decade, but what do you think?

Subject: Re: Do you think the 2000s are better or worse than the 2010s?

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/21/14 at 5:48 pm

Any year or decade is good when you are blessed with God's Gracious Gift of being alive.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/21/14 at 7:46 pm

No. Actually, every decade has positives and negatives and not every 2000s show was terrible. Another thing, kids still play outside, but not as often as they used to. As for the 10s, the only things that are terrible is the interaction with other people (I hope it gets better like it was in the past) and the economy (I hope this gets better too).

Lately, I've been noticing more and more people complain about how they hate the 2010s and how they miss the early-mid 00s (2000-2007), back when "they still had re-runs of 90s shows" and "kids still played outside". I know this happened with every decade, but what do you think?
Do people have these complaints on YouTube?

Written By: Zelek on 08/21/14 at 8:35 pm

No. Actually, every decade has positives and negatives and not every 2000s show was terrible. Another thing, kids still play outside, but not as often as they used to. As for the 10s, the only things that are terrible is the interaction with other people (I hope it gets better like it was in the past) and the economy (I hope this gets better too).
Do people have these complaints on YouTube?

Not just YouTube, but other sites like Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook. Once again, I know they're terrible, but still.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/21/14 at 8:39 pm

Not just YouTube, but other sites like Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook. Once again, I know they're terrible, but still.
Dammmmnnnnnn. I hope the superiority complex hasnt gone to their heads.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/21/14 at 8:44 pm

Tumblr is one big gathering of whiners. You can't swing a dead cat without hitting a ranting user.

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/21/14 at 8:54 pm

When it comes to nostalgia elitists, social media is pretty terrible in general. I've heard 90s kids on Facebook say stuff like "Anyone born after 1995 is f*ked-up and should be killed" and get tons of likes. Heck, I'm also hearing people born in 1997 say stuff like "Anyone who grew up in my generation (2000-2007) can vouch that the old Cartoon Network shows were the best. Adventure Time is retarded sh*t for the stupid YOLO generation born 2006 onwards."

That garbage goes too far. It's common these days too sadly, to see people say so and so should die over...nothing! Are they really that stupid to think humans should cease to exist beyond them? Just plain ignorant, to put it mildly. 

I'm past the age where Cartoon Network is quality entertainment to me, so I don't care what shows are on it. I miss the ones I used to watch, but it's not something that matters now.

Written By: XYkid on 08/22/14 at 3:21 am

I actually like this decade, it's a time where it's cool to be weird, nerdy, and mocking of the mainstream. People aren't as uptight as they were in the 00s. The only thing this decade lacks is good music, but I have a feeling there's going to be some sort of musical revolution within the next few years like the punk movement of the 70s or grunge in the 90s.
The 2000s were a fun time to be a child, but I would've hated to be an adult in that decade.

Written By: Howard on 08/22/14 at 6:59 am

Any year or decade is good when you are blessed with God's Gracious Gift of being alive.

definitely true.  :)

Written By: Howard on 08/22/14 at 7:02 am

I'm past the age where Cartoon Network is quality entertainment to me, so I don't care what shows are on it. I miss the ones I used to watch, but it's not something that matters now.

I miss the old Cartoon Network.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/22/14 at 12:20 pm

I miss the early to mid 2000s. It was a very interesting time to see the fast develompent of communication technology during this era. It was also my youth.

I think that music is better today though,

Written By: Howard on 08/22/14 at 1:47 pm

I miss the early to mid 2000s. It was a very interesting time to see the fast develompent of communication technology during this era. It was also my youth.

I think that music is better today though,

You had the introduction of YouTube, Facebook and Windows 2000's.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/22/14 at 2:06 pm

Hmmm... Politically I'd have to say the 2000s were better than today. 10 years ago, people wouldn't have let their feelings get in the way of their decisions when it came to politics. But nowadays it seems everyone lets their emotions get in the way of their rational opinions. Everything is driven by emotion these days, especially youth. 10 years ago they would have actually dug into something before they formed an opinion of it. It's like the 90s all over again. "Political correctness!", "Gay rights!", "Ban guns!", "Lower the drinking age to 18!", "Legal pot!", and last but not least, "Free health care!" There's no such thing as a free lunch people!

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/22/14 at 2:09 pm

Hmmm... Politically I'd have to say the 2000s were better than today. 10 years ago, people wouldn't have let their feelings get in the way of their decisions when it came to politics. But nowadays it seems everyone lets their emotions get in the way of their rational opinions. Everything is driven by emotion these days, especially youth. 10 years ago they would have actually dug into something before they formed an opinion of it.

Very few dug into the situation in Iraq, otherwise they would have known that Saddam was an aging secular Arab nationalist who had nothing to do with either Muslim extremists or WMDs. Those few who dug into it and spoke out were called unpatriotic. Because of that, the long, bloody, demoralizing, and expensive Iraq War was able to occur. I'm glad that that approach to foreign policy seems to be ending.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/22/14 at 2:17 pm

Very few dug into the situation in Iraq, otherwise they would have known that Saddam was an aging secular Arab nationalist who had nothing to do with either Muslim extremists or WMDs. Those few who dug into it and spoke out were called unpatriotic. Because of that, the long, bloody, demoralizing, and expensive Iraq War was able to occur. I'm glad that that approach to foreign policy seems to be ending.

In 2003 most people agreed with the Iraq War. 9/11 happened, it was obvious war was going to happen. You can't just forgive and forget. Besides, middle eastern society approved of 9/11 and they hate Americans. Always have, always will.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/22/14 at 4:53 pm

In 2003 most people agreed with the Iraq War. 9/11 happened, it was obvious war was going to happen. You can't just forgive and forget. Besides, middle eastern society approved of 9/11 and they hate Americans. Always have, always will.

You are right, most people in the US approved of the Iraq War and I think it would have been different if people had looked into it, as you say people did more often then than they do now, as they would have seen that Iraq had nothing to do with the 9/11 attacks. Bombing Iraq for 9/11 is like a group of Canadian Christian fanatics bombing Saudi Arabia on May 5 and then Saudi Arabia declaring war on the US in retaliation because "North American society approved of 5/5 and they hate Arabs. Always have, always will."

It is true that many Arabs have negative feelings about US foreign policy, but I doubt most hate Americans as people (most people who supposedly hate us actually just hate our heavy-handed foreign policy and think we are generally good people with a dangerous government), and it is even less so today. The idea that the majority of Middle Easterners approved of 9/11 is completely unfounded. 9/11 was a horrible atrocity, but it occurs within a greater context of the US taking an aggressive foreign policy toward the Muslim parts of the Middle East, either directly or by proxy through Israel's government and/or military.

Maybe instead of bombing them further, we should leave them alone. We are not going to solve the violence with more violence, especially when 1) we started the violence a long time ago and 2) the violence has usually not even been correctly targeted as shown by my analogy above. Other Western countries have left the Middle East alone and they've been fine. When was the last time you heard about terrorist attacks in Canada or Sweden?

Written By: XYkid on 08/22/14 at 6:28 pm

What people were you talking to? Most adults i knew in 2003 were against the Iraq war, even a fair amount of conservatives. Keep in mind i lived in Texas at the time.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 08/23/14 at 11:27 am

What people were you talking to? Most adults i knew in 2003 were against the Iraq war, even a fair amount of conservatives. Keep in mind i lived in Texas at the time.

Hello XYKid. While I would love to believe that most people were against the war, I did some checking on Wikipedia and it seems that at various points in the year, a majority of persons polled agreed with the war (this was very inconstant, however). I'm glad to hear that there are plenty who opposed the war even in a supposedly rather conservative state like Texas. I lived near Seattle, so I knew very few adults who were for that war. There were a few kids that were for it at my high school, but I think more were against it. I imagine that you were against it from your tone. I was against it, as I knew even then that Saddam was part of an old movement of secular Arab nationalists that hated Islamic extremists. Plus, I was very tired of the US trying to be the world police and I had read about how past military interventions in other countries had gone completely awry. I was worried about further destabilizing the Middle East.

Plus, since Saddam had no connection to the 9/11 terrorists, I felt there was really no reason to invade his country. Saddam was not a nice man, but there were plenty of heads of state who were much more repressive than he was (Robert Mugabe anyone?) and yet no one spoke of toppling them. I felt there was a huge incoherency in the motives of the Iraq. At one moment, it was supposedly to fight terrorism (again, completely illogical for reasons I have stated clearly). Then, supposedly to give the Iraqis freedom. And then, Saddam definitely has WMDs (which we've seen was not true).

Written By: GH1996 on 08/23/14 at 2:40 pm

I have to say the 2000's were way better in my opinion (2000-2005/6) kids these days don't even bother to play outside anymore, they're too glued to the new iPad they have.

They're biggest daily upset is that the battery is almost dead on their electronics and my biggest fear growing up was getting cut or hurt from playing outside all day.

The 2000's were a great time to be a kid

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/23/14 at 4:33 pm

I have to say the 2000's were way better in my opinion (2000-2005/6) kids these days don't even bother to play outside anymore, they're too glued to the new iPad they have.

They're biggest daily upset is that the battery is almost dead on their electronics and my biggest fear growing up was getting cut or hurt from playing outside all day.

The 2000's were a great time to be a kid
  I agree.  They sure don't anymore. Today, kids do go outside,  but not as often as they used to.  Every time I pass the park in my neighborhood, it's completely empty except on some days where it's a holiday, sport practice,  or other events. From time to time, I do see a few kids there every other day.

That's definitely true, it's like the battery is more important than themselves,  their families or their friends.  Hopefully it gets better throughout the decade.

Again, I agree with you. The 2000s were a great time to be a kid as I was one as well (only the early 00s) and I wouldn't want to change it for the better. If you also think about it, even if kids didn't go outside back then, they still had fun playing inside the house with each other consisting of video games, board games, drawing, movies, and other things.

Written By: sporty on 02/13/15 at 10:51 pm

2000-2003 was good. Mid 2004-early 2013 was terrible. In 2013 I noticed an improvement in pop music and the general feel so I would say 2013 and 2014 were deffinitely better than 2005-2012. Compared to 2000-2003 some things were better but others not so I cannot say. I guess as good as 2000-2003?

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/18/15 at 7:43 pm

Definitely the 2000. The economy was better, kids played outside, video games were more diverse, music was better and more diverse, cartoons were hand drawn, Movies had more colour in them(even action movies), no hashtags, very little social media, dumb phones, etc. It was a good decade where I was. This one seems boring and very internet oriented.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/18/15 at 8:22 pm

I think they're both bad and I feel sorry for children today. Imagine what Generation Z will say in years from now. They'll go into how they had the Marvel movies and someone will tell them older generations had the comic books long before there were adaptions.

Written By: winteriscoming on 02/19/15 at 12:04 am

Definitely the 2000. The economy was better, kids played outside, video games were more diverse, music was better and more diverse, cartoons were hand drawn, Movies had more colour in them(even action movies), no hashtags, very little social media, dumb phones, etc. It was a good decade where I was. This one seems boring and very internet oriented.

The 2000s were pretty Internet oriented too; especially from 2005 onward. Kids still play outside.

Written By: GH1996 on 02/19/15 at 12:41 am

The 2000s were pretty Internet oriented too; especially from 2005 onward. Kids still play outside.

True, all of my friends had computers but really only used them for downloading music or playing games.

We didn't use them that much since we were outside 80% of the time, I didn't religiously start using computers until late 2007 or 08

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/19/15 at 5:54 am

The 2000s were pretty Internet oriented too; especially from 2005 onward.

Exactly, it even began as early as 1998. It was strange not to have internet access at least by 2004.
Since I started to use the internet in 2000, I always found it a bit old-fashioned not to buy on-line throughout most of the 2000s.

Written By: GH1996 on 02/19/15 at 2:36 pm

Exactly, it even began as early as 1998. It was strange not to have internet access at least by 2004.
Since I started to use the internet in 2000, I always found it a bit old-fashioned not to buy on-line throughout most of the 2000s.

Weird, in school (2004) the teacher would ask us if we had computers at home, some kids didn't have any internet access at home

Written By: Howard on 02/19/15 at 3:29 pm

I agree Shemp, social media now has become a part of almost everyone's life that we hardly go out and do things like we used to 15 years ago.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/15 at 3:31 pm

now kids and teenagers are constantly looking down at their phones and not paying attention. ::)

Written By: GH1996 on 02/19/15 at 5:45 pm

Agreed^ just imagine if they remade breakfast club, high school students doing detention in the library... They would all be on their phones and wouldn't talk to eachother

Written By: Howard on 02/20/15 at 7:48 am

Agreed^ just imagine if they remade breakfast club, high school students doing detention in the library... They would all be on their phones and wouldn't talk to eachother

or smartphones and iPods too.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/20/15 at 8:20 am

Eventually when the batteries run out they'll have to talk. And it can't be that bad these days. People haven't forgotten how to talk.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/15 at 8:40 am

Eventually when the batteries run out they'll have to talk. And it can't be that bad these days. People haven't forgotten how to talk.

I know, the art of communication is gone.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/20/15 at 10:48 am

Doesn't matter I guess

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/22/15 at 9:41 pm

2000s by FAR. The only 10s year I REALLY liked so far has been 2013.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/22/15 at 10:33 pm

2000s by FAR. The only 10s year I REALLY liked so far has been 2013.

The 2010s are a lot blander than the 2000s ever were. I noticed that also. In the 00s, at least you could mock Paris Hilton, solve the mysteries to ABC's Lost, look at people's Myspace updated pages and root for Harry, Hermione and Ron at the movies. I bet we'll look back and see the 2000s decade as the one that fits in most with the years of the 20th Century.

Written By: GH1996 on 02/22/15 at 10:36 pm

The 2010s are a lot blander than the 2000s ever were. I noticed that also. In the 00s, at least you could mock Paris Hilton, solve the mysteries to ABC's Lost, look at people's Myspace updated pages and root for Harry, Hermione and Ron at the movies. I bet we'll look back and see the 2000s decade as the one that fits in most with the years of the 20th Century.

Ah I do really miss those days... Even though it was 10-15 years ago

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/23/15 at 6:29 am

I like 2010s technology, but life in the early 2000s was easier as a teen.

I bet that most people would only like to go back to the 2000s, if they could take their smartphone :D

Written By: winteriscoming on 02/25/15 at 2:09 am

Describing it that way, does make me kind of miss it. I loved Lost.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/25/15 at 11:14 am

I suspect people are only hating the 2010's because its current. I personally still like the '00s better, but thats just me. In the 2020s well be saying the same thing about today.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/25/15 at 2:01 pm

I suspect people are only hating the 2020's because its current.

I guess you mean 2010s. Yes, it's always the same. The 2010s have at least a distinct identity already at this point of time, unlike the 2000s.

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/25/15 at 3:59 pm

When I think about the '00s, I think many things;
Somehow I had this memory/vision (might be from a movie, I don't know, or just the news)
Men in black suits, with sunglasses, walking through the streets of a city with skyscrapers,
all is about security. (Think Bush era).

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/13/15 at 5:44 pm

The Early 2000s are far superior in my opinion. Now the internet is sadly corrupting most who allow it to. Now people are joining the internet adopting split personalities. That's depressing if you aren't using it for writing.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/13/15 at 5:48 pm

BETTER MUCH better than the 10s decade!!

Written By: #Infinity on 06/13/15 at 11:37 pm

At first, I thought the 2010s were better, as music got much better in 2009 after a terrible slump from 2005-2008, more attention was brought to stimulating social issues as opposed to a war we never should've started in the first place, and YouTube was full of fresh, entertaining channels.  Since about 2012, however, I've gotten much more nostalgic for the 2000s.  Despite the 2010s supposedly moving forward in technology, there's just a strange emptiness prevalent this decade compared to the complex, colorful world of the 2000s.  Video games are not moving much forward in innovation, and most people spend their free time texting on their phones, posting things on Social Media, or binge-watching shows on Netflix.  There isn't as much of a healthy balance between technology and activities that forced you to do something productive like there was before.  YouTube is now lacking in quality channels, unlike 2006-2011.  The EDM-influenced music of the day, though extremely fresh when artists like Lady Gaga and Kesha first came out, has quickly lost its luster and now just feels safe and uncreative, though I will at least give it credit for being far more listenable than the snap claptrap of late 2005 to 2008.  Also, this era has gotten more and more PC to the point that I think it has gone too far.  I'm all for civil rights and social awareness, but people nowadays act as though there's only one right perspective, and if you're not part of it, you're ignorant and prejudiced.

Written By: tv on 06/14/15 at 12:29 am

2001-mid 2007 is better than the 2010's. Liked the disco revival in 2013 though.

Written By: ArcticFox on 06/14/15 at 8:29 am

I think the best part of the early 2000's (2000-2003) was better than everything that has come after so far, probably because it's similar to the '90s.

I do think that the 2010's have been getting better since 2014, but it's been a slow journey.

In retrospect, 2010 had better music than anything from 2006-2009. 2011 was okay, but 2012 was the nadir of popular music. 2013 was just marginally better; 2014 was the real improvement.

Written By: sonic2005 on 06/14/15 at 1:00 pm

2000-2005 was the best

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/14/15 at 1:13 pm

2010s music is undoubtedly awful compared to 00s music. Every year pre-2011 had at least a handful of catchy, dynamic songs from a variety of different genres to offset any bad music, just like the decades before. Genre variety that no longer exists today. I can't think of one year in the 2010s that collextivly had better music than the 2000s.

YouTube is now lacking in quality channels, unlike 2006-2011.

I disagree, YouTube is better and has way my re to choose from than back then. back then, there were few people on there and it was difficult to find content period let alone quality content, with everyone having low-quality cameras and all.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/14/15 at 1:31 pm

I disagree, YouTube is better and has way my re to choose from than back then. back then, there were few people on there and it was difficult to find content period let alone quality content, with everyone having low-quality cameras and all.

YouTube was better, imo, when channels like AVGN, Smosh, Tobuscus, ERBOH (still going strong, thankfully), HISHE, and CollegeHumor were in their prime.  2009-2011, I think, was a really good period for YouTube, and it's all gone downhill since.  A lot of these channels have either disappeared, slowed down, or just gotten really unfunny in recent years.

Written By: Howard on 06/14/15 at 2:31 pm

Now YouTube has over 2 billion people on it.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/14/15 at 9:41 pm

I really liked 2008-2012.  I didn't really care for the mid-2000s and don't really care for the mid-2010s.  Overall though I would say the 2000s were a bit better. 

Written By: ArcticFox on 06/14/15 at 10:47 pm

I think it's ridiculous to compare a calendar decade that is barely half over to one that has been completed for several years. The 2010s haven't even proved themselves yet, and they still have a chance. The 2000's however, have been over for years. They're irrelevant.

Come on guys, give the 2010s a chance...

Written By: #Infinity on 06/15/15 at 5:01 am

I think it's ridiculous to compare a calendar decade that is barely half over to one that has been completed for several years. The 2010s haven't even proved themselves yet, and they still have a chance. The 2000's however, have been over for years. They're irrelevant.

Well, considering the general consensus is that the 2010s basically began way back in 2009, I think it's pretty safe to sum up the trends of the 2010s in general.  True, there are still four and a half years remaining in the calendar decade, but pop culture does not seem to be changing much as of late, so those last few years will likely all be extremely similar to now.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/15/15 at 10:56 am

Well, considering the general consensus is that the 2010s basically began way back in 2009, I think it's pretty safe to sum up the trends of the 2010s in general.  True, there are still four and a half years remaining in the calendar decade, but pop culture does not seem to be changing much as of late, so those last few years will likely all be extremely similar to now.

I remember saying the same thing in 2007 and the first half of 2008.  I thought it was remarkable how little change had occurred since 2003.  When change happens it usually happens pretty quickly.

The last four years of the 2010s could define the decade.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/15/15 at 4:36 pm

YouTube was better, imo, when channels like AVGN, Smosh, Tobuscus, ERBOH (still going strong, thankfully), HISHE, and CollegeHumor were in their prime.  2009-2011, I think, was a really good period for YouTube, and it's all gone downhill since.  A lot of these channels have either disappeared, slowed down, or just gotten really unfunny in recent years.

AVGN is definitely thinning out, but Smith had only ever been amusing, Nigahiga is still pretty good, never watched much of Tobuscus, and CollegeHumor is nothing but male gaze thumbnails. The thing about today's youtube is that you now have Gametheory, Jontron, PBG, Matthew Santoro, news discussions, gossip, high quality how to videos, animation, better communication with professionals and skilled people, etc. The possibilities are endless today and there are several alternatives to now unfunny youtubers.

Come on guys, give the 2010s a chance...

6 years of snorefest and 4 more to go. They're not bad years, certainly not 1940s bad but really causing people,  particularly in the gaming,  film and music communities, to loose hope and look foreword an industry crash. People rate the 2000s way too low, and other decades higher than they deserve. So ironic how said communities are practically fawning over 10 years ago.

Written By: mqg96 on 06/15/15 at 5:54 pm

2000-2006 are still superior to the 2010's decade by far. However, the 2010's decade have been better than 2007-2009.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/15/15 at 6:33 pm

YouTube was killed by capitalism.  It was best in the Late 2000s when its slogan was still "Broadcast Yourself."  Today it's turned into a money making machine.  The beginning of the end was when they started requiring ads before videos.

Today, people share home videos through Instagram or Facebook but they aren't the free-for-all that YouTube used to be that made it so great.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/15/15 at 7:51 pm

YouTube was killed by capitalism.  It was best in the Late 2000s when its slogan was still "Broadcast Yourself."  Today it's turned into a money making machine.  The beginning of the end was when they started requiring ads before videos.

Today, people share home videos through Instagram or Facebook but they aren't the free-for-all that YouTube used to be that made it so great.

Yeah, I totally miss the immediacy that YouTube had in its first few years.  Knowing that I have to sit through the same damn commercials over and over again just to look up something feels like a nuisance after a while.

Written By: ArcticFox on 06/15/15 at 10:40 pm

6 years of snorefest and 4 more to go.

Actually, it's only been five and a half years. And not all of the 2010s have been bad. I think the 2010s are going to get better.

They're not bad years, certainly not 1940s bad but really causing people,  particularly in the gaming, film and music communities, to loose hope and look forward an industry crash.

I don't think the 1940's had bad culture. They had some classic movies and some great tunes.

Regarding video games, the mainstream industry sucks, but looking into the downloadable and portable video game systems there are a lot of really great gems. "Pushmo" and "Resident Evil: Revelations" are just two examples of them, both of them are on the Nintendo 3DS. I do think there needs to be a reevaluation of priorities though.

Film? Really? I think the 2010s have been churning out excellent films. The Hunger Games, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Maze Runner, The Silver Linings Playbook, Batman: The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy, San Andreas, Furious 7, Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Unbroken, World War Z, Fury; I could name so much more. While young Hollywood movies are lackluster (Jennifer Lawrence being an exception), a lot of the movies featuring more veteran actors are excellent.

I sort of agree with you on the topic of music. People such as Natalie la Rose and Rae Sremmurd have no talent whatsoever. However, this decade has hit some extraordinary highs, especially from foreign artists. Do you seriously prefer Lil Jon, Snow Patrol, Nickelback, John Mayer, Jesse McCartney, and J-Kwon over people such as Adele, Sia, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, Ella Henderson, and B.o.B.? All of those 2010s artists have released some fantastic and classy tunes.

People rate the 2000s way too low, and other decades higher than they deserve.

Every decade has it's greatness. Some higher and more consistent than others. Some start bad and end good. Some start good and end badly. The 1990s are an example of the former (Jewel and 2Pac >>>>>>> Motley Crue and Debbie Gibson), while the 2000's are an example of the latter (R. Kelly and Mariah Carey >>>>>>> Cobra Starship and Ke$ha). Some are just great all the way through, such as the 1960's and 1970's.

I think artistically, the best decade was the 1970's. You can't beat diversity. In terms of artistry, I think the 2000's were pretty weak, although there were some highlights. In terms of music quality overall, I'd give the 2000's overall a 6/10.

I see the 2010s as split into fifths: 20% Horrible, 20% Bad, 20% Okay, 20% Good, 20% Great. So far, I'd give the 2010s a 7/10: A lot of bad, plenty of crap, but also plenty of beautiful works of art.

Written By: ArcticFox on 06/15/15 at 10:57 pm

YouTube was killed by capitalism.  It was best in the Late 2000s when its slogan was still "Broadcast Yourself."  Today it's turned into a money making machine.

It wasn't killed by capitalism, it committed suicide by monopolizing itself. When the creators sold YouTube to Google in November 2006 US$1.65 billion, Google could do anything they wanted with it. I discovered YouTube in late 2006 and hardly anyone used it. I remember it being early 2007 when the website really took off among the mainstream. They also started doing ads that year, but they were "click on" ads that sat right above the "related videos" list while you were watching a video, like the ones that we see on gossip websites right below the end of the article. Going by your case, the beginning of the end happened before YouTube exploded in popularity in 2007.

You can almost always skip the advertisements after a five seconds. If you can't skip, you can still wait about 30 seconds for it to finish. Most of the time, I don't even run into commercials.

The internet is the new television: Having commercials on the internet is inevitable.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/15 at 1:39 pm

This is why you now have to sit through 15-30 seconds worth of ads. ::)

Written By: Howard on 06/16/15 at 1:43 pm

You can almost always skip the advertisements after a five seconds. If you can't skip, you can still wait about 30 seconds for it to finish. Most of the time, I don't even run into commercials.

The internet is the new television: Having commercials on the internet is inevitable.

http://www.dailyrindblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SkipThisAdYouTube.png

Written By: nally on 06/16/15 at 1:46 pm

http://www.dailyrindblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/SkipThisAdYouTube.png

All I know is that I hate when there are unskippable ads. I just hit the refresh button on my browser as long as they start an unskippable ad. Eventually they will either (1) show an ad with the option to skip after 5 seconds, or (2) start showing the actual vid.

Written By: Goodogbadog on 06/16/15 at 11:15 pm

They have some great ones about cats. I like cats because I'm a dog. A good dog.  :)

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/17/15 at 9:04 am

Actually, it's only been five and a half years. And not all of the 2010s have been bad. I think the 2010s are going to get better.

Tbh, no year has been good currently speaking, they are only good in hindsight. I doubt though that the remaining 4.5 years we have left are going to see much change. In 2005 we experienced forecasted changes in culture, now there's next to no indication of that.

I don't think the 1940's had bad culture. They had some classic movies and some great tunes.
The war? The racism?
Even the 2010s gets a bad rap for the same things, but not the 20th century?

Regarding video games, the mainstream industry sucks, but looking into the downloadable and portable video game systems there are a lot of really great gems. "Pushmo" and "Resident Evil: Revelations" are just two examples of them, both of them are on the Nintendo 3DS. I do think there needs to be a reevaluation of priorities though.
So you agree on the mainstream industry needing to reorganize. Handheld and indie games have usually stayed the same for a while and are usually gamers refuge from disaster in the industry. We seem to be needing them more now than since the 80s crash.

Film? Really? I think the 2010s have been churning out excellent films. The Hunger Games, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Maze Runner, The Silver Linings Playbook, Batman: The Dark Knight Rises, Man of Steel, The Avengers, Avengers: Age of Ultron, Guardians of the Galaxy, San Andreas, Furious 7, Captain America: The First Avenger, Captain America: Winter Soldier, Unbroken, World War Z, Fury; I could name so much more. While young Hollywood movies are lackluster (Jennifer Lawrence being an exception), a lot of the movies featuring more veteran actors are excellent.
Hunger games is based off the 2000s books. Its the same reason the first 3 Harry Potter movies kind of belong to the 1990s considering the books their based on. I guess I usually make exceptions to films like the most recent War of Worlds film but films based off books tend to be a product of the era the books are from.

The Dark Night: Rises only reminds me how amazing the original Dark Night was.

Other great movies from the 00s.
http://www.avclub.com/article/the-best-films-of-the-00s-35931

I sort of agree with you on the topic of music. People such as Natalie la Rose and Rae Sremmurd have no talent whatsoever. However, this decade has hit some extraordinary highs, especially from foreign artists. Do you seriously prefer Lil Jon, Snow Patrol, Nickelback, John Mayer, Jesse McCartney, and J-Kwon over people such as Adele, Sia, Ed Sheeran, Bruno Mars, Ella Henderson, and B.o.B.? All of those 2010s artists have released some fantastic and classy tunes.
I don't hate Nickelback. I view them as a mediocre band who get their kicks by performing in a series of historically cringe-worthy "music" genres and I ignore them whenever I can. I can't see why they get so much attention for being middle of the road for Post-grunge, hard rock, alternative rock, heavy metal, pop rock genres. There are hundreds of bands "good" and "bad" whom sound exactly like they do. NB just isn't noteworthy and should be ignored, like Solja boy.

B.o.B made a good song in 2009 but I haven't payed much attention to them since. And Bruno Mars(as with Jesse MacCartney) appeals to 13 year olds. None of the those 2010s artists really hold a candle to K-OS, Shad, OutKast, BnL, Sean Paul(carribean artists in general), Raheem & Ludacris(Living like we're Bulletproof), BEP(music was hit or miss), Celine Dion, Nelly Furtado, Gnarls Barkly, Knaan, Owl, City, Kanye West, Eminem(mostly early 00s works), Stromae and Zaho(Quebec french artists), Kid Cudi, etc. Don't only notice the bad, pay attention to the good that came on the radio.

Every decade has it's greatness. Some higher and more consistent than others. Some start bad and end good. Some start good and end badly. The 1990s are an example of the former (Jewel and 2Pac >>>>>>> Motley Crue and Debbie Gibson), while the 2000's are an example of the latter (R. Kelly and Mariah Carey >>>>>>> Cobra Starship and Ke$ha). Some are just great all the way through, such as the 1960's and 1970's.

I think artistically, the best decade was the 1970's. You can't beat diversity. In terms of artistry, I think the 2000's were pretty weak, although there were some highlights. In terms of music quality overall, I'd give the 2000's overall a 6/10.

I see the 2010s as split into fifths: 20% Horrible, 20% Bad, 20% Okay, 20% Good, 20% Great. So far, I'd give the 2010s a 7/10: A lot of bad, plenty of crap, but also plenty of beautiful works of art.

I think the 2000s began great and ended mediocre, not bad. There was alot of redeeming works in the late '00s to offset the bad. The short EDM craze was interesting twist. '70s seem Ok, in artistry only, not politics.
I'd say overall the '00s was a nice decade and swap your scores with the 10s, there was just more masterpieces in the same time span back then. Seems I'm no the only one who liked it too.
L-z2wDKZcvs
Comparatively, I'd rate the '90s an 7.8/10. '90s=>'00s>>>'10s.

It wasn't killed by capitalism, it committed suicide by monopolizing itself. When the creators sold YouTube to Google in November 2006 US$1.65 billion, Google could do anything they wanted with it. I discovered YouTube in late 2006 and hardly anyone used it. I remember it being early 2007 when the website really took off among the mainstream. They also started doing ads that year, but they were "click on" ads that sat right above the "related videos" list while you were watching a video, like the ones that we see on gossip websites right below the end of the article. Going by your case, the beginning of the end happened before YouTube exploded in popularity in 2007.

Except that the ads prior to late 2009 were non-intrusive, sitting as a banner at the corners of a video. Ever since they began doing intrusive ads, copyright crusading, Google+ and paid services, it all went downhill.

Written By: TheMusicdewd on 06/17/15 at 10:47 am

Any music made after the 1990's is a lie.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/17/15 at 11:34 am

Any music made after the 1990's is a lie.

Ok fanboy.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/15 at 2:38 pm

All I know is that I hate when there are unskippable ads. I just hit the refresh button on my browser as long as they start an unskippable ad. Eventually they will either (1) show an ad with the option to skip after 5 seconds, or (2) start showing the actual vid.

You have no choice but to watch the ads.

Written By: Howard on 06/17/15 at 2:39 pm

They have some great ones about cats. I like cats because I'm a dog. A good dog.  :)

Hey GDBD, Welcome Back. :)

Written By: nally on 06/28/15 at 4:32 pm

You have no choice but to watch the ads.

That's why I keep hitting the refresh button on my browser. I just deal with the ads if that fails after maybe ten tries.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/29/15 at 11:59 pm

Way better, like every decade that comes first. It's natural to feel the previous decade is better because of nostalgia. Especially if you grew up in the decade like myself. Things were a lot more easy going, relaxing and fun than they are now.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/16/15 at 8:29 pm

As a 2000s kid, it was way better than the 2010s. True, there was bullsheesh events like 9/11 and the 2008 recession, but at least it wasn't that abysmal. It actually had great shows that were really popular in the decade like The Sopranos, The Wire, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Six Feet Under, Sex And The City (even though it debuted in 1998), Family Guy, Dexter and many others back then. Even for movies, we had Shrek (along with many other Dreamworks movies in the 2000s), Lilo & Stitch, the Wallace & Gromit movies, etc. Nowadays, I can't even stand having people mentioning Game of Thrones or any recent cartoon coming from Nickelodeon and Disney Channel's asses. Although, I could tolerate Cartoon Network's recent programming, especially with their upcoming show about those three bears that live with each other.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/21/15 at 10:57 pm

It really all depends.

If you are talking about pop culture then the 2000's (especially 2000-2006) destroys the 10's by a mile

If its politically, then the 2010's wins, in the 2000's you had 9/11, The Enron Scandal, Hurricaine Katrina the 08 Recession, & the depressing Bush Era. Not to say the Obama years have been amazing or anything but the amount of crazy sheesh has decreased

Economically, 2000's, this is a no brainer, sure you had the minor recession in 2000-early 2002 and of course the late 00's recession but the peak years of the decade were very good most notably 2003-early 2007

Technologically, 2010's, do I need to explain?

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/22/15 at 5:02 am

If you are talking about pop culture then the 2000's (especially 2000-2006) destroys the 10's by a mile

2006? Yuck. I remember looking up 2006 music in 2014 and thinking it was way worse than the (then) present. A year later, in 2015, I still feel the same way. If I were to rate the 2000's and 2010's (so far..) pop culturally in a list, it would go like this. From best to worst:

Yeah, pop culture has gotten better than 2006.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/22/15 at 12:06 pm

2006? Yuck. I remember looking up 2006 music in 2014 and thinking it was way worse than the (then) present. A year later, in 2015, I still feel the same way. If I were to rate the 2000's and 2010's (so far..) pop culturally in a list, it would go like this. From best to worst:

Well you're entitled to your own opinion but I feel the Early-Mid 00's had some of the best variety of Primetime Tv shows, sitcoms, music, video games, & movies. I like the 10's but my main complaint with this decade is that there is little to no variety.

While primetime tv is pretty good, Breaking Bad, Scandal, Game of Thrones, the amount of sitcoms has been very dry. Plus reality tv is everywhere (though this has been dying down for the last few years, but because there is barely any variety it seems like that is all we have).
Sitcoms were still popular for much of the 2000's, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Queens, Will & Grace, My Wife and Kids, etc. so you had the perfect variety of primetime tv, great sitcoms, & if you liked it or not reality shows.

Music is pretty good today, but once again its only electropop and dubstep. Those two genres I like so I don't mind it, but I also like alternative, post grunge, nu metal, R&B, heck even a crunk rap from time to time. So the 2000's win in the music department hands down, infact I usually consider the 1997-2005/6 period as the Golden Age of Modern Music because it had some the greatest pop acts like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, NSYNC, BSB, S Club7, alternative acts like Puddle of Mud, Green Day (their original hits and revival around the mid 00's), Foo Fighters, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, hip hops acts like Jay Z, Lil Wayne (when he was good), 50 Cent, Ja Rule, OutKast, Eminem, R&B like R Kelly, Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Ashanti, Aaliyah. That whole era was just epic, the late 90's-early-mid 00's along with the mid-late 70's & 80's are my two favorite time periods for music because of something called VARIETY. While the mid 10's have been a huge improvement with more individual styles, like Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Tori Kelly, heck even Taylor Swift to an extent, so the 10's could potentially make a comeback in the coming years as I am starting to sense a little more variety now. But from what I heard for most of 2010-2014, if you are not into electro than you were pretty much out of luck

Those are just some of the many reasons why I would personally choose the early-mid 00's (especially the early 00's) over the 10's, but once again if you prefer today's era then all power to you

Written By: sonikuu on 07/23/15 at 8:31 am

Personally, I've noticed that my liking of an era seems to be dependent on my personal life during that period.  Periods when my personal life was better seem to shine between in my memory.  For example, I still consider 2012 to be the best year of my life so far, and what do you know, I happen to love the music from the year.  By way of comparison, my personal life was pretty bad around 2002 and 2003, so it took me years to look at those years objectively and say "yeah, 2002 was actually a pretty strong year for pop culture."

So from that perspective, I'd say the 2010s are better than the 2000s.  It's an era I'll look back on with far more nostalgia than the 00s.  Heck, I recently watched some Hot 100 retrospectives and I already feel more nostalgia for 2012 or even 2013 (yes, 2013!) than I do for 2006 despite me being in the peak of my high school years in 2006. 

Objectively, 00s had better video games, rock music, anime, and cartoons.  2010s has better non-rock music, live-action tv, fashion, internet/technology, and overall culture.  Both decades are about equal when it comes to movies. 

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/23/15 at 9:21 am

Lol no. ;D

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/23/15 at 9:33 am

Music is pretty good today, but once again its only electropop and dubstep. Those two genres I like so I don't mind it, but I also like alternative, post grunge, nu metal, R&B, heck even a crunk rap from time to time. So the 2000's win in the music department hands down, infact I usually consider the 1997-2005/6 period as the Golden Age of Modern Music because it had some the greatest pop acts like Britney Spears, Justin Timberlake, NSYNC, BSB, S Club7, alternative acts like Puddle of Mud, Green Day (their original hits and revival around the mid 00's), Foo Fighters, Korn, Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, hip hops acts like Jay Z, Lil Wayne (when he was good), 50 Cent, Ja Rule, OutKast, Eminem, R&B like R Kelly, Mariah Carey, Mary J. Blige, Ashanti, Aaliyah. That whole era was just epic, the late 90's-early-mid 00's along with the mid-late 70's & 80's are my two favorite time periods for music because of something called VARIETY. While the mid 10's have been a huge improvement with more individual styles, like Sam Smith, Ed Sheeran, Tori Kelly, heck even Taylor Swift to an extent, so the 10's could potentially make a comeback in the coming years as I am starting to sense a little more variety now. But from what I heard for most of 2010-2014, if you are not into electro than you were pretty much out of luck

I agree, but the late 00s was better in the hip-hop department because of the resurgence of Alternative(and grime) over the other sub-genres. Artists like Kanye, Lupe fiasco, K-os, Kid Cudi, K'naan, Wale, Kardinal Offishall and a couple others have really tore up the old Gangsta rap mold.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/23/15 at 10:35 am

Lol no. ;D

Yes

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/15 at 9:05 pm

To be fair with you, 2012 was possibly the worst year in the 2010s. At least this decade is getting better every year.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/28/15 at 11:20 am

Yes

In what way? The music isn't even catchy anymore and TV rarely has anything good on, film is nothing but rehashes, and don't get me started on the state of the gaming industry. Even my middle-aged mother finds 10 years ago better.  ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 07/28/15 at 12:59 pm

I agree 2012 was the worst year of the 2010's.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/28/15 at 1:55 pm

Say what y'all want about 2012, but it wasn't the worst year by any means, unless the world would've ended on December 21st that year lol. Anyways, let's look at the movies that came out in 2012 that were big. I remember my friends and acquaintances in high school were excited to see some of these. You had The Avengers, 21 Jump Street, Ted, The Hunger Games, The Dark Knight Rises, The Amazing Spider-Man, Project X (so dumb & terrible that it was real funny), The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, Twilight Breaking Dawn Part 2, Wreck It Ralph, etc. Now looking at this year for movies, not the best, but for a teen or young adult, a really great year for movies of the decade.

Here in Georgia both of my favorite teams had really great football seasons in college and pros. Unfortunately we both came up short of a national championship & Super Bowl in the same dome. :\'(

As for music this year really did suck though, I was already missing 2010 music already, because of how much music throughout that year would stomp 2012 and it wasn't even close. I could write a 4 page essay on why 2010 was the best year for music since this electro pop era began in 2008.

As for TV shows that debuted...... *cough* *cough* *cough*

The best video games of the year were Assassins Creed: III, Mass Effect 3, London 2012, Walking Dead Video Game, and idk after that. But yeah I see where y'all coming from.

2010 is STILL the BEST year pop culturally of this decade so far. The movies seemed to be the only great thing about 2012 though.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/15 at 2:02 pm

In what way? The music isn't even catchy anymore and TV rarely has anything good on, film is nothing but rehashes, and don't get me started on the state of the gaming industry. Even my middle-aged mother finds 10 years ago better.  ;D

I don't find today's music interesting nowadays.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/28/15 at 2:03 pm

2012 was the first year of the cultural 2010s (2009 to present, for me) that I didn't like, but it's still better than 2014, as well as 2015 so far.  I was at least excited in 2012 by the election season, surviving 2009-2011 culture (which was declining but not completely out yet), and gay marriage finally being approved by popular vote in the US.  However, it now feels as though pop culture has become zombielike as of late, yielding predominantly forgettable music, overrated TV shows, and next to nothing technologically exciting.  Consumer-friendly virtual reality cannot come soon enough.

2013 gets a lucky pass, thanks to the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage, the true beginning of the 8th Generation of gaming, some excellent songs like Get Lucky, Do I Wanna Know, and We Exist; movies like Frozen, Her, and Blue Jasmine; and the final season of Breaking Bad.  In my opinion, 2013 is probably going to be the definitive year of the 2010s, unless something revolutionary comes out of nowhere to revitalize this decade that currently has next to nothing exciting about it.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/28/15 at 2:19 pm

2012 was the first year of the cultural 2010s (2009 to present, for me) that I didn't like, but it's still better than 2014, as well as 2015 so far.  I was at least excited in 2012 by the election season, surviving 2009-2011 culture (which was declining but not completely out yet), and gay marriage finally being approved by popular vote in the US.  However, it now feels as though pop culture has become zombielike as of late, yielding predominantly forgettable music, overrated TV shows, and next to nothing technologically exciting.  Consumer-friendly virtual reality cannot come soon enough.

2013 gets a lucky pass, thanks to the Supreme Court ruling on gay marriage, the true beginning of the 8th Generation of gaming, some excellent songs like Get Lucky, Do I Wanna Know, and We Exist; movies like Frozen, Her, and Blue Jasmine; and the final season of Breaking Bad.  In my opinion, 2013 is probably going to be the definitive year of the 2010s, unless something revolutionary comes out of nowhere to revitalize this decade that currently has next to nothing exciting about it.

2013 was great, my favourite year of the 2010's by far. But I don't think we can call it the definitive year yet, we're only on the 5th year of the 2010's. We still have 5 years to go. So far it is the most definitive year, but we can't know for sure until we're finished the 2010's.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/28/15 at 3:35 pm

2013 was great, my favourite year of the 2010's by far. But I don't think we can call it the definitive year yet, we're only on the 5th year of the 2010's. We still have 5 years to go. So far it is the most definitive year, but we can't know for sure until we're finished the 2010's.

Probably cause you graduated that year, 2013 especially the early part of that year was my worst semester of high school, that 2nd semester of junior year was my worst nightmare especially that terrible 3rd block and lunch I had :-\\ however I can see why 2013 was a great year pop culturally. Great year for shows, the music of that year could easily compete with 2010, probably my 2nd favorite year of music for this decade by far. The movies that year were LEGENDARY!!!! Iron Man 3, Gravity, Fast & Furious 6, Despicable Me 2, Man of Steel, Frozen, Hunger Games: Catching Fire, The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug, etc. 1 DECADE from 2003, which were one of the best years of my peak childhood as well in terms of pop culture. 2013 did get pretty lucky as someone else mentioned. For my personal life it wasn't the best but pop culturally it had it's defining moments though.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/28/15 at 3:44 pm

Yeah pop culturally 2013 was great with all the popular music and trends. If you look back at the years you can easily remember and identify 2013 the most. That was the year the Selfie craze started, the Harlem Shake viral video exploded, great music hits like Get Lucky, Thrift Shop, Treasure, Safe and Sound, Mirrors, etc. Memorable hits like Blurred Lines. The Miley Cyrus comeback and backlash was also memorable. Then you had Eminem release his new album. It was just a great all around year. It reminded me a lot of my childhood with comebacks of artists like Justin Timberlake and Eminem for example. I love how fast dance music wasn't very popular in 2013 and there was more of a disco sound and you had a lot of ballads that were more popular like from Rihanna and Pink. What I liked the most was this was the only year of the 2010's we had a break for Nikki Minaj, Justin Beiber, Kesha, etc. and a return of better artists lie Justin Timberlake, Pharell, Bruno Mars, etc. In my opinion 2013 was the most fun, most definitive so far, best pop culturally, and best year in general of the 2010's so far. (I graduated this year, turned 18, and went on a big trip across Europe which also made it a great year for me personally).

Written By: #Infinity on 07/28/15 at 5:45 pm

The 6th, actually, since 2010 was the first year of the decade (I'd personally include 2009 as well, thus making 2015 the 7th year of 2010s culture), but even with a bit more than four years left of the decade, it just seems as though this decade's culture has gotten stale as of late, in the same way years like 1980, 1988, and 1990 felt like the senile phase of their respective preceding eras, but without enough next-generation culture to offset the old, worn out culture.  The fact that 2015 has been the second consecutive year of little to no significant development in 2010s culture is testament to how much this era's most notable events and pieces of media have already passed by.  Maybe new attitudes will start to emerge once the 2016 Election Seasons comes into swing, thus creating another hybrid era like 1989-1991 and 1997-2001, but it doesn't feel like there's a whole lot else that 2010s culture has left to establish, at least not enough for there to be a year more definitive than 2013.  Right now, we're just stuck in what looks to be a very long period of limbo, before 2020s culture starts to really show its face.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/28/15 at 6:02 pm

The 6th, actually, since 2010 was the first year of the decade (I'd personally include 2009 as well, thus making 2015 the 7th year of 2010s culture), but even with a bit more than four years left of the decade, it just seems as though this decade's culture has gotten stale as of late, in the same way years like 1980, 1988, and 1990 felt like the senile phase of their respective preceding eras, but without enough next-generation culture to offset the old, worn out culture.  The fact that 2015 has been the second consecutive year of little to no significant development in 2010s culture is testament to how much this era's most notable events and pieces of media have already passed by.  Maybe new attitudes will start to emerge once the 2016 Election Seasons comes into swing, thus creating another hybrid era like 1989-1991 and 1997-2001, but it doesn't feel like there's a whole lot else that 2010s culture has left to establish, at least not enough for there to be a year more definitive than 2013.  Right now, we're just stuck in what looks to be a very long period of limbo, before 2020s culture starts to really show its face.

'10s culture has been stale in my opinion since 2013.  I really wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a split decade like the 1970s were with a distinct culture emerging in the late '10s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/28/15 at 10:27 pm

It doesn't feel like there's a whole lot else that 2010s culture has left to establish, at least not enough for there to be a year more definitive than 2013.  Right now, we're just stuck in what looks to be a very long period of limbo, before 2020s culture starts to really show its face.

That makes no sense at all. Popular culture moves at breakneck speed, how is four and a half years not long enough? And how can the 2020s "show its face" when it doesn't exist? As I've said before, if a decade doesn't exist, then it can't have an "influence". The previous decade always has an influence in the early years of a next, because it takes time for it to go away. Flare jeans aren't "2000s", they're '90s. The Rachel haircut isn't 2000's, it's '90s. Parachute pants aren't '90s, they're '80s. Neon colors aren't '90s, they're '80s. Hippies aren't '70s, they're '60s. All of these remained relevant into the next decade after originating in the previous one, but they represent their time of origin.

I really wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being a split decade like the 1970s were with a distinct culture emerging in the late '10s.

Definitely. A decade doesn't have to have one identity. For the '60s, you have the hippies and the mods. For the '70s, you have classic rockists and disco lovers. For the '80s, you have hair metal and new wave. For the '90s, you have hip-hop gangstas/r&b lovers/ravers/alternative rockheads (). The aughts are too recent to evaluate. The '10s aren't even over yet.

As you can see, they are remembered for more than just a single trend, but each decade has that one that is "pushed back" in favor of another one. You have the "acknowledged" (mods, classic rock, new wave) and the "stereotype" (hippies, disco, hair metal). Notice how the one that occurs later in time is the one that becomes the stereotype/theme, because people are more likely to remember it. Of course someone who lived the '70s is going to remember 1979 better than 1970!

Regarding themes, let's talk about Party City. The decade themes for the '50s are hotrod cars, fuzzy dice, jukeboxes, vinyl records, diners, rockabilly apparel, and Elvis Presley. The theme for the '60s is peace signs, psychedelic trippy swirls in bright colors, wooden beads, hippie apparel, and Janis Joplin. The theme for the '70s is disco balls, reflective dance floors, multicolor lights, shiny clothes, and Donna Summer. The '80s theme is neon leopard print, zebra stripes, paint splatters, tetris prints, "filtered" glasses, and Motley Crue. I think the most appropriate theme for the '90s (when they make one) will be graffiti, boom boxes, DJ turntables, hydraulic cars, and probably Puff Daddy or Will Smith or something along those lines. It makes the most sense because you can throw a '90s party with that type of music, therefore the theme has to be the same as well.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/28/15 at 10:33 pm

I think the most appropriate theme for the '90s (when they make one) will be graffiti, boom boxes, DJ turntables, hydraulic cars, and probably Puff Daddy or Will Smith or something along those lines. It makes the most sense because you can throw a '90s party with that type of music, therefore the theme has to be the same as well.

They already did make one a while ago. I have already been to a 90's House Party at my school and they had Spice Girls impersonators performing songs.

Written By: #Infinity on 07/28/15 at 11:56 pm

That makes no sense at all. Popular culture moves at breakneck speed, how is four and a half years not long enough? And how can the 2020s "show its face" when it doesn't exist? As I've said before, if a decade doesn't exist, then it can't have an "influence". The previous decade always has an influence in the early years of a next, because it takes time for it to go away.

That's easier for you to say, considering you only see the later years of a decade as its definitive years, not to mention you treat 2010-2012 as a late 2000s extension, connected to 2006. If you're going from my perspective, which goes all the way back to 2009 in defining the 2010s decade, we're already 7 years into the current era. Decade culture usually starts to show its age by this point in time, and that's what I'm sensing now.  You say decade culture moves at a breakneck speed, but it has really down in the past couple of years. I didn't completely rule out the possibility of the last few years of the 2010s being just as important to the decade's culture as the early-middle years, but it really doesn't feel like the coming few years are likely to define what is already a pretty substantial era, especially since there hasn't been any groundbreaking technology or cultural innovation in several years, as there was in 1995 (the Internet) and 2005 (YouTube). Even if enough happens between now and 2019 that the world of 2019 is notably different from now, it's more likely than not that the last part of the decade will be treated more like 1989 or 1999, both of which were arguably the most colorful years of their decade but are generally seen more as transitional years between two decades, rather than a well-rounded representation of the entire decade's feel and culture. A lot of early-mid 2010s culture already seems to be on its way out, or has at least past its prime, so I wouldn't be surprised if the end of the 2010s is more of a 2020s prelude than another 1969.

Flare jeans aren't "2000s", they're '90s. The Rachel haircut isn't 2000's, it's '90s. Parachute pants aren't '90s, they're '80s. Neon colors aren't '90s, they're '80s. Hippies aren't '70s, they're '60s. All of these remained relevant into the next decade after originating in the previous one, but they represent their time of origin.

So, in that case, I guess iPhones aren't 2010s, they're 2000s, since they were first released in 2007. Facebook and Twitter aren't 2010s, they're 2000s. EDM isn't 2010s, it's 2000s (even though it was only significant during one year of the 2000s, and an extremely transitional one at that). They were all introduced in the middle to late 2000s, but really didn't peak until the 2010s came along. And just for the record, all of the things you listed emerged during the middle part of their respective decades, not the later years.

For another example, new jack swing music was introduced way back in 1987 but is almost never treated as a definitive 80s trend the way hair metal (popular since Def Leppard's 1983 album Pyromania), Madonna (popular since the turn of 1984), adult Michael Jackson (huge since 1979), and new wave (popular since late 1978/early 1979) all are. More often, it's considered either an early 90s style of music or a style of music that bridged the 80s with the 90s. The reason for this is that even after the initial breakthrough of a new trend, it usually takes at least a few years for it to fully establish itself.

Definitely. A decade doesn't have to have one identity. For the '60s, you have the hippies and the mods. For the '70s, you have classic rockists and disco lovers. For the '80s, you have hair metal and new wave. For the '90s, you have hip-hop gangstas/r&b lovers/ravers/alternative rockheads (). The aughts are too recent to evaluate. The '10s aren't even over yet.

Decades are always defined by multiple trends, but I wouldn't say any of the past few decades were split between two different eras entirely. The closest thing to a split decade would either be the 40s, which were initially about World War II but later about the Cold War and the migration to the suburbs, or the 50s, whose first five years were basically a continuation of the late 40s but underwent a lot of changes in 1955/1956, when Elvis and Marilyn Monroe became popular, rock & roll blew up, and teenage rebellion became more prominent in popular culture, but even then, there are enough general similarities between 1947-1954 and 1955-1963 that it's easier to just call both periods one giant era.

I also don't see how it's too early to evaluate what the 2000s decade was all about, considering its core aspects have been dead for several years now (excluding permanent changes, like television was for the 50s and the Internet was for the 90s).

As you can see, they are remembered for more than just a single trend, but each decade has that one that is "pushed back" in favor of another one. You have the "acknowledged" (mods, classic rock, new wave) and the "stereotype" (hippies, disco, hair metal). Notice how the one that occurs later in time is the one that becomes the stereotype/theme, because people are more likely to remember it. Of course someone who lived the '70s is going to remember 1979 better than 1970!

And grunge and gangsta rap (both of which peaked early in their decade and died well before it ended) weren't the stereotypes of the 90s? So far, EDM and hipsters seems to be the dominant generalizations of the 2010s, and they've both been prevalent since at least 2009. Stereotypes introduced in the mid-2010s have yet to replace them. Again, since all of the decade stereotypes you referred to earlier were all around by the middle of the decade (most were around during the early years, even), it would be pretty safe to assume that whatever potential stereotypes for this decade have all come into existence already.

Regarding themes, let's talk about Party City. The decade themes for the '50s are hotrod cars, fuzzy dice, jukeboxes, vinyl records, diners, rockabilly apparel, and Elvis Presley. The theme for the '60s is peace signs, psychedelic trippy swirls in bright colors, wooden beads, hippie apparel, and Janis Joplin. The theme for the '70s is disco balls, reflective dance floors, multicolor lights, shiny clothes, and Donna Summer. The '80s theme is neon leopard print, zebra stripes, paint splatters, tetris prints, "filtered" glasses, and Motley Crue. I think the most appropriate theme for the '90s (when they make one) will be graffiti, boom boxes, DJ turntables, hydraulic cars, and probably Puff Daddy or Will Smith or something along those lines. It makes the most sense because you can throw a '90s party with that type of music, therefore the theme has to be the same as well.

Once again, where on earth are 2Pac, Nirvana, and Sonic the Hedgehog on your list of 90s themes?  They may not have been relevant during the later part of the decade (excluding Sonic Adventure and the 2000s-flavored Chronic 2001), but they certainly can't be confused with trends from the 80s, not even the late 80s. For the 50s, too, you're forgetting about the Cold War, McCarthyism, social conservatism, migration to the suburbs, and the first wave of popular television shows, all of which were around during the 1947-1954 period of the post-war era, in addition to the years defined by Elvis, greasers, rockabilly, and the like.  True, none of those trends are really marketable for decade-themed parties like the mid-late 50s stuff is (though the early-mid 90s things I listed would be perfectly marketable), but they were still vital parts of the era, regardless.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/16/15 at 1:08 am

2010s are better no doubt. The aughts started off good, but ended badly. The 2010's have been getting better since 2013. I prefer a decade end better than it started (like the '50s and the '90s) than it start better than it ended ('80s and '00s). I think the '10s will only get better and better. Besides, I don't want to go back to being a little boy. I like being a young man!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 08/16/15 at 8:37 am

If I would be at least nostalgic for any portion of the 2010s, then I would rather just be nostalgic over 2010, 2014, 2015 and the later years if it's gets better.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/15 at 9:57 am

It really all depends.

If its politically, then the 2010's wins, in the 2000's you had 9/11, The Enron Scandal, Hurricaine Katrina the 08 Recession, & the depressing Bush Era. Not to say the Obama years have been amazing or anything but the amount of crazy sheesh has decreased

Economically, 2000's, this is a no brainer, sure you had the minor recession in 2000-early 2002 and of course the late 00's recession but the peak years of the decade were very good most notably 2003-early 2007

Technologically, 2010's, do I need to explain?

How was the 2000s economically better than the 2010s? Was there an extreme recession that happened during the early 2010s or something?

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/12/15 at 11:11 am

How was the 2000s economically better than the 2010s? Was there an extreme recession that happened during the early 2010s or something?

Where were you in the last few years? While technically the recession ended in 2009 the lingering effects of it remained well into the 10's. I would say around 2014 things had improved

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/12/15 at 12:12 pm

Where were you in the last few years? While technically the recession ended in 2009 the lingering effects of it remained well into the 10's. I would say around 2014 things had improved

Okay.

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/19/15 at 5:35 pm

There's a series of recessions all over the world right now. Namely Greece and Canada.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/15 at 5:39 pm

There's a series of recessions all over the world right now. Namely Greece and Canada.

What about New York?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/19/15 at 7:28 pm

What about New York?

I think you meant the United States. For once, I don't think we're going through a recession now.

Written By: winteriscoming on 09/20/15 at 10:26 am

I think you meant the United States. For once, I don't think we're going through a recession now.

I think the economy is still really weak. That's probably more a "new normal" though, America is just not as wealthy as it used to be.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/20/15 at 11:57 am

I'm just going to put this out there I figured out not to long ago. Technology kills soul. Soulful Music creates atmosphere/vibes. Music is now so advancing and lifeless robotic sounding. There was still soul before the Late 2000s/consuming technology. I believe that we didn't need to advanced further then 2007, as bias as I may sound. We just need cures for major diseases now.

Check for new replies or respond here...