inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Post Grunge

Written By: Visor765 on 08/27/14 at 2:37 am

Post grunge was a more mainstream version of grunge which originated in the mid 1990s and continued into the 2000s. It started in 1995 and continued for over 13 years. It lasted longer than the original grunge movement by about 11 years.

As many people on this website mentioned, 2008 is seen as the last hurrah of post-grunge in the mainstream. Here is this list: http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/2008 as you can see, this was the last we ever saw of post-grunge. It was also the last we ever saw of rock music being a seriously viable force in top 40 radio.

What inspired me to make this thread was a certain comment in another post-grunge thread that I started in the 1990s board. Here is a quote from sonikuu (I will bold the important parts):
I think of Post-Grunge definitely a 90s thing, but one that went on until very, very far into the 00s.  Post-Grunge was probably around for a full ten years or so, though by the tail end in the mid-00s, all its fans were aging.  Certainly nobody in my high school liked it
So this makes me wonder? Who was the target audience? The X/Y cuspers? Did 00s teens really dislike post-grunge and it was more of an older generation thing? Who was it aimed at?

Subject: Re: Post Grunge

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/27/14 at 2:53 am

I think also core Y depending on how you define the genre. It seemed like they defined every other band as that and the category was far too broad. My friends listened to music like Puddle of Mudd, Lifehouse, and Hinder back in the 00s.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/27/14 at 3:51 am

Yeah, I remember everybody (me included) hating on bands like Nickelback and they were the butt of so many jokes. I got the impression it was the kind of "safe" modern rock that Gen Xers still listened to. I think 00s post grunge had some casual Y fans but probably not that much either.

I wonder if it lasted so long because real grunge (1991-94, peripherally 95-98) was the last rock revolution and people thought "Better to have generic sh*tty rock than to let it die!" Which is exactly what's happened now. Truth is both options sucked. ;D

Written By: Visor765 on 08/27/14 at 11:44 pm

I think also core Y depending on how you define the genre. It seemed like they defined every other band as that and the category was far too broad. My friends listened to music like Puddle of Mudd, Lifehouse, and Hinder back in the 00s.

Yeah, I can see why. Their music is sort of intended for that age group. I can tell in the music. You are part of that age group (you were born in late 1986). However, bands like Creed, Vertical Horizon, Nickelback, and Audioslave seem more like they were aimed at Generation X/Y cuspers. Bands like Third Eye Blind and Matchbox 20 (their first albums days...) seem like both age groups enjoyed those songs.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/27/14 at 11:48 pm

Yeah, I can see why. Their music is sort of intended for that age group. I can tell in the music. You are part of that age group (you were born in late 1986). However, bands like Creed, Vertical Horizon, Nickelback, and Audioslave seem more like they were aimed at Generation X/Y cuspers. Bands like Third Eye Blind and Matchbox 20 (their first albums days...) seem like both age groups enjoyed those songs.

I listened to bands like Veritcal Horizon in the late 90s/ early 2000s. Oddly enough, the biggest Nickelback fan I know was born in the late 50s.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 08/28/14 at 3:51 am

I can only speak from my own personal experiences, but when I was in junior high/high school, Post-Grunge was massively popular among the people I hung out with (roughly kids born from 1986-88). Heck, even my younger brother (who was born in '91) was into it growing up.

Just glancing through my old CD collection, I can see that I have albums by Creed, Puddle of Mudd, Foo Fighters, Staind, Nickleback, Audioslave, Sevendust, Chevelle, Third Eye Blind, Breaking Benjamin, and 3 Doors Down just to name some. Perhaps it's a unique case here where I grew up, but I always perceived Post-Grunge as a "peak" genre for '00s teens.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/28/14 at 8:16 am

I know for my secondary school years around 2006 there was a lot of indie rock like Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, Franz Ferdinand; that was the rock, and post-grunge wasn't that obvious here in Europe.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/01/14 at 8:58 am

I know for my secondary school years around 2006 there was a lot of indie rock like Arctic Monkeys, The Kooks, Franz Ferdinand; that was the rock, and post-grunge wasn't that obvious here in Europe.

Yeah, Europe's taste in rock music is a little more "retro" than it is in North America.

Check for new replies or respond here...