inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What was the last class to hang on to the late 90s?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/31/14 at 11:22 pm

I was looking at class videos and noticed a difference between class of 05 and class of 06.

A lot more people give me vibes of 1999 here than in the next video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBu3zdK680A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bWFnVvBxM

In real life I noticed that people in class of 05 still listened to late 90s music like it was current in the 00s whereas class of 06 thought of it as "old".

Subject: Re: What was the last class to hang on to the late 90s?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/01/14 at 12:24 am

You're Class of 2005 right? And by the way I can't load the links..

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/01/14 at 2:19 am

Can you really generalize it? I simply think that anybody who liked current music in the late 90s could hang on to it. I would also say that this kind of music seemed
old by the mid 00s - no matter if you were 17,18,19 or 20.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/02/14 at 4:24 pm

Did you and your peers still hang on to the late 90s?

Now? No.

Occasionally, I like to listen to some songs from the 1999-2001 era for nostalgic reasons, but that's it.

And if there is an era I like to hang on, than it's the early to mid 00s. Not so much the late 90s, because I was still a bit young.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/02/14 at 8:22 pm

I was looking at class videos and noticed a difference between class of 05 and class of 06.

A lot more people give me vibes of 1999 here than in the next video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBu3zdK680A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1bWFnVvBxM

In real life I noticed that people in class of 05 still listened to late 90s music like it was current in the 00s whereas class of 06 thought of it as "old".
You actually observed this? My sister was in the class of '06 and she didnt think late 90s music was old. In fact, when she began high school in 2002, late 90s music was still playing, so there's no way the class of 06 could have thought late 90s music was old.

Can you really generalize it? I simply think that anybody who liked current music in the late 90s could hang on to it. I would also say that this kind of music seemed old by the mid 00s - no matter if you were 17,18,19 or 20.
I agree what I bolded. There are people out there today that still hang on to the late 90s. I have actually listened to late 90s songs on YouTube and most people still listen to those songs today as it still was current music back in the early 00s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/02/14 at 11:44 pm

In the mid 2000's teenagers definately liked 90's music, it was still largely on the radio and didn't feel old at all, even if it was past 10 years.

Written By: XYkid on 09/03/14 at 12:06 am

In the mid 2000's teenagers definately liked 90's music, it was still largely on the radio and didn't feel old at all, even if it was past 10 years.
yup, in 2005 it was still common to hear Backstreet Boys and Nsync on radio Disney, and there was also a local station where I lived called MixFM that would play a lot of 90s soft rock like Alanis morrisette and a Matchbox 20. Neither of these additions seemed old in comparison to the newer stuff that they played.
I know a lot of teens today still listen to music from the early to mid 2000s as well.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/03/14 at 1:50 pm

yup, in 2005 it was still common to hear Backstreet Boys and Nsync on radio Disney, and there was also a local station where I lived called MixFM that would play a lot of 90s soft rock like Alanis morrisette and a Matchbox 20. Neither of these additions seemed old in comparison to the newer stuff that they played.
I know a lot of teens today still listen to music from the early to mid 2000s as well.

What? No they don't. Where do you live? I live in one of the trendier areas of the south and pretty much nobody listens to early and mid 2000s music. As a matter of fact, they make fun of anything older than 2007 but cling on to everything from 2008 onwards.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/03/14 at 2:14 pm

In the mid 2000s, late 90s music was maybe common, but it was not really considered recent music.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/03/14 at 5:47 pm

We had a mix station too that played everything, eighties, nineties, and now.

Written By: XYkid on 09/03/14 at 7:29 pm

What? No they don't. Where do you live? I live in one of the trendier areas of the south and pretty much nobody listens to early and mid 2000s music. As a matter of fact, they make fun of anything older than 2007 but cling on to everything from 2008 onwards.
I live in Seattle but I went to high school in Southern Cal. I still have a few friends that are seniors in high school and they enjoy a lot of early to mid 2000s music as it seems to remind them of their early childhood. Then again, I went to an arts high school which is hipster central.
speaking of huge south, I lived in the East Texas in the mid 2000s myself, it still felt like the 90s there even in 2005.

Written By: yelimsexa on 09/04/14 at 6:44 am

IMO the Class of 2003, since they were the last class to enter in 1999 and right before graduation, 50 Cent and Beyonce started to make an impact along with Emo becoming popular later that year. Many like myself didn't have a cellphone, most of us still used CDs instead of MP3's (I was aware of iTunes, but never used it) and sometimes people would ask "Britney or Christina?" to me (of course the latter)!

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/04/14 at 9:11 am

The school kids travelling past my house everyday always blast EDM. No exception.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/04/14 at 9:22 am

The school kids travelling past my house everyday always blast EDM. No exception.

You say you're European, so what country do you live in? Not saying that American kids don't do the same thing too, I just wanna know.

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/04/14 at 9:39 am

Let's say I live near Amsterdam

Written By: bchris02 on 09/04/14 at 11:07 am

I would say '06.  I graduated in 2004 but it didn't feel a lot different in 2006.  By '07 there had been some definite noticeable changes.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/04/14 at 1:21 pm

I would say '06.  I graduated in 2004 but it didn't feel a lot different in 2006.  By '07 there had been some definite noticeable changes.

When talking about personality, class of 06 was a lot more like class of 05 than like class of 07.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/05/14 at 12:55 am

I can only speak for myself, but, as someone in the Class of '05, I would say that it was pretty mixed among my friends. Some of them, including myself, listened to both then current music (like Garage Rock, Indie and Hip Hop), as well as late '90s stuff, like Nu Metal for example.

Frankly, though, my high school was less divided by class year and more by the old fashioned, stereotypical "cliques" when it came to musical tastes. Most of the girls listened to Pop (or maybe Hip Hop), the goth's listened to Emo, the jocks listened to Nickleback and Korn, etc.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/05/14 at 1:01 am

I can only speak for myself, but, as someone in the Class of '05, I would say that it was pretty mixed among my friends. Some of them, including myself, listened to both then current music (like Garage Rock, Indie and Hip Hop), as well as late '90s stuff, like Nu Metal for example.

Frankly, though, my high school was less divided by class year and more by the old fashioned, stereotypical "cliques" when it came to musical tastes. Most of the girls listened to Pop (or maybe Hip Hop), the goth's listened to Emo, the jocks listened to Nickleback and Korn, etc.

I agree they listened to current music and late 90s. Interesting it was the jocks that listened to Korn at your school. At mine it was the mallcore people. I don't remember Nickelback or Emo being popular unless you think Jimmy Eat World or Our Lady Peace (which a lot of people listened to) are emo. I see bands like that as pop punk. I see emo as more like Fall Out Boy or Panic at the Disco. The White Stripes and Jet were bringing back the retro sound back then.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/05/14 at 3:30 am

I agree they listened to current music and late 90s. Interesting it was the jocks that listened to Korn at your school. At mine it was the mallcore people. I don't remember Nickelback or Emo being popular unless you think Jimmy Eat World or Our Lady Peace (which a lot of people listened to) are emo. I see bands like that as pop punk. I see emo as more like Fall Out Boy or Panic at the Disco. The White Stripes and Jet were bringing back the retro sound back then.

Yeah, because of the darker nature of their songs, Korn was actually quite popular back then with the "Hot Topic" crowd. During the height of Nu Metal's popularity, though, they often got lumped together with bands like Limp Bizkit on MTV, so that also led to them having a bit of a following among so-called "jocks" too. Nickleback was massive around here during the early and mid '00s. I heard "How You Remind Me" so much back then that it basically became the unofficial soundtrack to my high school years. As you mentioned, though, Garage Rock groups like The White Stripes and The Strokes were huge too.

Also, I suppose I did mislabel "Emo" there as what the "goth" type people I knew listened to back then, as that was a few years before that genre really hit it's peak of popularity. I didn't really follow that scene, so I guess I was more referring to somewhat Pop-Punkish stuff like Story of the Year and Hawthorne Heights. I also seem to recall more than a few of those guys listening to Linkin Park back then too, even though they were officially considered Nu Metal.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/05/14 at 11:43 am

Nu metal was more of an early 2000s thing.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/14 at 12:23 pm

Class of 2004?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/05/14 at 11:50 pm

Yeah, because of the darker nature of their songs, Korn was actually quite popular back then with the "Hot Topic" crowd. During the height of Nu Metal's popularity, though, they often got lumped together with bands like Limp Bizkit on MTV, so that also led to them having a bit of a following among so-called "jocks" too. Nickleback was massive around here during the early and mid '00s. I heard "How You Remind Me" so much back then that it basically became the unofficial soundtrack to my high school years. As you mentioned, though, Garage Rock groups like The White Stripes and The Strokes were huge too.

Also, I suppose I did mislabel "Emo" there as what the "goth" type people I knew listened to back then, as that was a few years before that genre really hit it's peak of popularity. I didn't really follow that scene, so I guess I was more referring to somewhat Pop-Punkish stuff like Story of the Year and Hawthorne Heights. I also seem to recall more than a few of those guys listening to Linkin Park back then too, even though they were officially considered Nu Metal.

Yeah, I always thought harder pop/punk (c. 2002-2004 bands like Jimmy Eat World and Bowling For Soup) segued into more poppy emo like AAR in the mid 00s, but overall were part of the same genre.

And I'd say the class of 2005 (1987ers) are the last group I feel connected with - i.e. basically being part of the same generation. I'd actually say I never began hearing people ripping on the 90s until 2009, then it was like hardcore. I think GaGa, Katy, Obama's election, Facebook/Twitter/Google Earth, post-grunge finally going away started truly making the 90s seem like another time.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/06/14 at 4:37 pm

Yeah, I always thought harder pop/punk (c. 2002-2004 bands like Jimmy Eat World and Bowling For Soup) segued into more poppy emo like AAR in the mid 00s, but overall were part of the same genre.

And I'd say the class of 2005 (1987ers) are the last group I feel connected with - i.e. basically being part of the same generation. I'd actually say I never began hearing people ripping on the 90s until 2009, then it was like hardcore. I think GaGa, Katy, Obama's election, Facebook/Twitter/Google Earth, post-grunge finally going away started truly making the 90s seem like another time.

Maybe the late 90s, but I know that the early 90s were already considered "cool" by that point in time (approximately around 2008ish).

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/06/14 at 4:47 pm

Maybe the late 90s, but I know that the early 90s were already considered "cool" by that point in time (approximately around 2008ish).

Do you really think that the early 90s are 'cool'? People might be nostalgic about the time, but I won't say that they are cool. They are as cheesy as it can get. A time which I would consider 'cool' is the early-mid 00s.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/06/14 at 5:04 pm

Do you really think that the early 90s are 'cool'? People might be nostalgic about the time, but I won't say that they are cool. They are as cheesy as it can get. A time which I would consider 'cool' is the early-mid 00s.

Nothing from the early and mid 2000s is popular anymore. "Cool" is when a lot of people like something. Why else would people be recycling fashions from the early-mid 90s right now? And talk about how great the music was? And the movies and TV shows? If the early 90s weren't "cool" nobody would be talking about them. They were cheesy, but it doesn't mean people don't like them. The early and mid 2000s are just dated, not cool.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/06/14 at 5:24 pm

Do you know people who actually like the early 90s? Why do they think they were cool?

Written By: sonikuu on 09/07/14 at 12:47 am

I'm part of the class of 2007.  I will say there was a bit of divide between the class of 2005 and the two following classes.  The class of 2005 had a sizable number of early-00s kind of Goths.  This makes sense - though it was clearly in decline, Nu Metal still had some relevancy in 2004.  After they graduated, Goths almost entirely disappeared.  The "counterculture" kids of 2006 and 2007 were much more into Emo instead.  Even those class of 2006 and 2007 kids who had been Goths largely switched to Emo by the fall of 2005.

I also recall 2005 as the first time I saw someone made fun of for having a CD player.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/08/14 at 11:31 am

Do you know people who actually like the early 90s? Why do they think they were cool?

Pretty much everyone at my school does. We talk about early 90s music and tv shows such as 90210. I think my peers like them because the first half of the '90s are congruent to today, since pop culture goes in 20 year cycles.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/08/14 at 2:07 pm

Pretty much everyone at my school does. We talk about early 90s music and tv shows such as 90210. I think my peers like them because the first half of the '90s are congruent to today, since pop culture goes in 20 year cycles.

I understand, so basically people who weren't even born in the early 90s? Yeah, maybe for you and your peers it might be cool ;)
My sister, however, was a teen in the early 90s and she always says how ridiculous all the photos look from that era. And she is not the only one. It was cool to be alive back then and experience them, but the era is not 'cool' when looking at it today!

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 2:44 am

Yeah, I think 1990-1996 is pretty retro cool for sure. I was wondering, do some current teens feel that way about even the late 90s? They probably wouldn't know the cheesy crap like Britney and N'Sunc and might dig it for the edgier or more timeless things.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/09/14 at 3:26 am

Yeah, I think 1990-1996 is pretty retro cool for sure. I was wondering, do some current teens feel that way about even the late 90s? They probably wouldn't know the cheesy crap like Britney and N'Sunc and might dig it for the edgier or more timeless things.

I see 1996 as the last "old school" year. Even in 1997 I noticed a big change.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 3:39 am

Yeah, the (early) internet taking off around late 96/early 97 seems huge to me too. That's also the first year those TV ratings came out, so its really retro to watch old VHS tapes before then without that huge "TV-PG" sign at the beginning of shows.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/09/14 at 3:57 am

Yeah, however, it really depends what you mean by "old school". When I see big cell phones and white desktop computers in movies with the internet not or only barely being relevant, this is also kind of "old school". The huge development we made, especially with mobile devices, makes even early 00s movies look "old schoolish". The closer we come to the late 2010s, the less I think of the classic internet being an indicator for modern life.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/09/14 at 8:41 am

1997 was the last old school year in my opinion.  There were a lot of fads that went out with a bang that year.  1998 was a rather changeful year.  I wouldn't say it was the beginning of the '00s, but many of the characteristics that would define the early '00s got their start that year. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/09/14 at 8:44 am

1997 was the last old school year in my opinion. 

Yes, I agree. I don't know why, but when it was actually 1998, it felt so modern and new to me. It was definitely a changeful year and the differences to the early-mid 00s are as good as invisible on the surface.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/09/14 at 8:57 am

Yes, I agree. I don't know why, but when it was actually 1998, it felt so modern and new to me. It was definitely a changeful year and the differences to the early-mid 00s are as good as invisible on the surface.

Part of it has to do with video recording technology.  By 1998 it was starting to go digital.  You can tell because you can watch something from then and it looks as good as new.  Try watching something recorded in 1996 and it looks grainy and deteriorated.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/09/14 at 1:05 pm

No, none of my peers are particularly interested in the late 90s. However, give it 2-3 years and they will. Maybe even in 2015, since by then 1999 will have been 16 years ago, but I doubt it. By 2017 I can absolutely guarantee that the late '90s will be cool again, maybe even the early 2000s. I also wouldn't say 1996 is retro cool just yet, I'd wait until next year.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/14 at 3:26 pm

Yeah, however, it really depends what you mean by "old school". When I see big cell phones and white desktop computers in movies with the internet not or only barely being relevant, this is also kind of "old school".

I agree, that is "old school".

Written By: Visor765 on 09/10/14 at 12:23 am

Part of it has to do with video recording technology.  By 1998 it was starting to go digital.  You can tell because you can watch something from then and it looks as good as new.  Try watching something recorded in 1996 and it looks grainy and deteriorated.

When you say video recording technology do you mean the technology professionals use or do you mean the camcorders that people had in their homes that you could buy at the store?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/10/14 at 12:33 am

When you say video recording technology do you mean the technology professionals use or do you mean the camcorders that people had in their homes that you could buy at the store?

I would rather say professionals/TV stations. It was still common to use analog cameras at home until the early 00s.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/14 at 9:07 am

Both. You can easily tell if something was recorded on reel film or if it was digital.  Digital still looks as good today as it did then.  Reel film shows its age.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/10/14 at 12:24 pm

Both. You can easily tell if something was recorded on reel film or if it was digital.  Digital still looks as good today as it did then.  Reel film shows its age.

Do you actually know people who still made personal movies on film in the late 90s? Maybe professional studios used film back then, but at home? Real film cameras in private households became already uncommon in the early-mid 80s with the introduction of VHS cameras..

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/30/14 at 6:50 am

The Working Class, before being made redundant

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/30/14 at 7:29 am

My school was more age and grade segregated than clique segregated. It was still ok to hang out with kids one grade apart from you, but nothing more than that. Rap was the popular thing to listen to, but alot of kids liked the pop punk and nu metal, older and newer songs. Late 90's music was still widely heard on the radio.

Korn isn't even that dark of a band and mallcore or counterculture kids were into them big time during my jr. high years. I don't know about high school students, but I think why music like that was popular among the 7th and 8th graders was because they were trying out something different as a change from whatever they liked in grade school. That's the age I got into rock when previously I liked 80's pop and 90's dance music. Nobody was emo back then, and even in high school I didn't know anyone who was. I only knew a couple kids who could actually have been called goth. Mallcore to me is neither.

Check for new replies or respond here...