inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you feel more people are getting nostalgic over the early/mid-2000s

Written By: sonic2005 on 09/06/14 at 2:40 am

its seems more people now are saying how they miss 2000-2005 do you feel people are starting to get nostalgic about those years??

Subject: Re: Do you feel more people are getting nostalgic over the early/mid-2000s

Written By: Visor765 on 09/06/14 at 11:06 am

As the early and mid 2000s grow more and more distant from the present people will feel increasingly nostalgic for them.

Subject: Re: Do you feel more people are getting nostalgic over the early/mid-2000s

Written By: QuddusFromMtv2 on 09/09/14 at 5:33 pm

As the early and mid 2000s grow more and more distant from the present people will feel increasingly nostalgic for them.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/09/14 at 5:37 pm

I am already nostalgic over this era because those were my teenage years.

Written By: QuddusFromMtv2 on 09/09/14 at 5:40 pm

class of 2006

http://youtu.be/1ZB4e4-2io0

Written By: QuddusFromMtv2 on 09/09/14 at 5:45 pm

Also if you went into a mall during 2002-2006 everything would be drastically different then today

http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/036973ce2079b578b4e1ba237ffaee14/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/CITY_GUIDE/2012/12/10-90s-mall-stores-we-want-back/samgoody_402973.jpg

http://fromscreentotheme.com/imgB24.jpg

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/09/14 at 6:17 pm

class of 2006

If I were American, I would have probably been part of class 2005, or maybe even 2004.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/09/14 at 10:50 pm

Yeah, same here. At one time, maybe six or seven years ago, I wouldn't have thought I'd ever be feeling nostalgic for like 2003, but that does seem like such a more carefree time for me personally compared to now.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 11:51 pm

Also if you went into a mall during 2002-2006 everything would be drastically different then today

I love those pics. :) Yeah I miss stuff like that from even as recently as 2008-10...places like old school bookstores, music stores, Blockbuster, etc. While they were definitely past their glory days even by the mid 00s, they were still pretty well around.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/14 at 12:27 am

I love those pics. :) Yeah I miss stuff like that from even as recently as 2008-10...places like old school bookstores, music stores, Blockbuster, etc. While they were definitely past their glory days even by the mid 00s, they were still pretty well around.

I remember HMV was considered the cool place to hang out in the mall and everyone was buying CDs and got so excited when they saw their favourite singers albums were on display in the store. Now it's a place where only some people come occasionally and its pretty much dead most of the time. Man times have changed..

Written By: Slim95 on 09/10/14 at 12:29 am

Everything up to 2008 is nostalgic to me and I miss it.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/14 at 9:08 am

http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/036973ce2079b578b4e1ba237ffaee14/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/CITY_GUIDE/2012/12/10-90s-mall-stores-we-want-back/samgoody_402973.jpg

The Disney store is still open in the mall in my town.  I do miss music stores like Sam Goody, Wherehouse, and Disc Jockey.

Written By: Howard on 09/10/14 at 2:27 pm

I miss them especially music stores BTW one of our neighborhood music stores closed down after 25 years earlier this year because he couldn't keep up with the times any longer. He sold vinyls and cassette tapes.

Written By: nally on 09/10/14 at 10:12 pm

I do miss music stores like Sam Goody, Wherehouse, and Disc Jockey.

Same here. There were Sam Goody and Wherehouse music stores in shopping malls in my area when I was growing up; it was always lotsa fun to go there and buy tapes and cds of music we liked.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/11/14 at 11:21 pm

I'm not nostalgic for the early 00s yet. Too early for that!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/12/14 at 4:48 am

I am just wondering. Do those shops not exist anymore? The photos could have easily been taken in 2014 as I have seen malls in the US which were also not super modern.

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/12/14 at 5:07 am

Yes it's hitting me today. I played Green Day and The Strokes, cd of course. Miss it  :)

Written By: Bobby on 09/12/14 at 5:46 am

Without getting too morbid, I was thinking the other day that since the internet (early/mid 2000s) we have so much news coverage it has made me realise that the celebrities that I knew from childhood to adulthood are dwindling. There has always been death obviously but it seems to stand out more for me now.

Over 2014 we have seen the deaths of Roger Lloyd Pack, Rik Mayall, Shirley Temple, The Ultimate Warrior, Joan Rivers, Robin Williams, Lauren Bacall, Richard Attenborough and just recently Richard Kiel (Jaws from James Bond) and Donald Sinden die. It's a case of these people, whether active or not, were in our lives and now...they are not.

I remember being 10 years old when Sir Lawrence Olivier died. It meant nothing to me but now I wonder, as an adult, what it must have felt like to the older generations who, like me now with Robin Williams, had grown up with his theatre and films a huge portion of their lives.

On further meditation I was thinking about the first and second world war generations that lived through and adapted to some incredible changes during their lives. Has nostalgia's role changed over the years? When my grandad looked back on his life before he died, even the bad parts of WWII, he seemed to be at peace and satisfied with his memories. My nostalgia is like trying to put the brakes on my speeding out-of-control vehicle before I crash. When I look back in nostalgia it's like I'm trying to medicate myself.

Written By: Howard on 09/12/14 at 2:56 pm

I am just wondering. Do those shops not exist anymore? The photos could have easily been taken in 2014 as I have seen malls in the US which were also not super modern.

not many of them exist today, most of them went out of business.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/16/14 at 12:52 pm

I think anything before the economic crash of late 2008 feels at least somewhat old school and different to today. Coincidentally, this is also about the time when social media and smartphones really took off, so I think people kinda look back on even 2003 or 2006 as "at least everybody wasn't on Facebook or texting all the time!"

Like I've said, I really miss the old school elements still around in the 00s and some of the pop culture (i.e. more rock music was still popular) but I'll never miss the hardcore militant pro-war, right wing Bush era.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/16/14 at 1:14 pm

In late 2006, I went to New York and noticed quite a lot people who were using those earlier smartphones with a small keyboard. Those were not that common in Germany during that time (I found them special at this time at least), and even those phones are considered old right now. 2006 was definitely another time and my mindset was different.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/19/14 at 10:04 pm

Yes, now they are because that era is dated. If you look at that time period, everything was different. People hung out more. Not much social media nor texting except early FB, Myspace and Youtube. Not much online gaming (people were still playing against each other in the same room). Pre-HD resolution videos. No autotune in music. Songs still had a good message. Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, Xbox, GBA and early NDS, PSP and Xbox 360. Not many awful reality shows. Variety of quality games. Economy was great. Calling people was often the most communication. Dial-Up/Broadband internet. MP3s. VHS still king along with DVD just being popular. No smartphones. Parties wasnt always consisting of photo taking, mostly it was to have a good time. Digital cameras/camcorders. Kids still played outside (If they weren't outside, they still had an imagination inside the house).

Written By: GH1996 on 09/20/14 at 2:46 am

I'd say so, I feel nostalgic at times about the early to mid 00's, not only because it was my childhood then but that I feel that so much has changed then, music, technology, etc...

Definitely miss the days before cell phones were popular and where we could play outside for hours on end until it got dark. I lived in a townhouse complex and there was a grass field in the middle of them all and we would all meet up there in the morning, pack a lunch and go explore the small ravine next to our places.. The. Our parents would just yell our names and we'd run back just in time for dinner.

Ah I miss the early 2000's...

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/20/14 at 2:57 am

Definitely miss the days before cell phones were popular

You were born in 1996 and you remember the time before cellphones became popular?  Or do you mean smartphones? 8)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/20/14 at 3:01 am

Kids still played outside (If they weren't outside, they still had an imagination inside the house).

They still do. What do you think children do inside today? Not every 6-year-old has a smartphone. And back in the early 00s, older children at least started to get computers with Internet access.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/20/14 at 3:23 am

You were born in 1996 and you remember the time before cellphones became popular?  Or do you mean smartphones? 8)

Smartphones! I remember most teens had them but you could only really text or make calls on them (and they didn't have a color screen! Just that green/black with no color) . This was around 02/03.. First time I saw the first iPod touch/iphone I didn't even think it was possible for stuff like that.. Smart phones really changed everything

Written By: Howard on 09/20/14 at 6:59 am

Not much social media nor texting except early FB, Myspace and Youtube.

Nowadays, you see people doing it every day, they're hooked onto their phones.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/14 at 7:00 am

They still do. What do you think children do inside today? Not every 6-year-old has a smartphone. And back in the early 00s, older children at least started to get computers with Internet access.

these days, kids are playing with their PS3 or PS4s.

Written By: af2010 on 09/20/14 at 7:29 am

I've started getting more nostalgic for the early 00s recently. There was still a lot of good variety in music. I miss the mid 00s a little bit on a personal level, but not the culture. Lil Jon got old after a while.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/20/14 at 2:00 pm

I know they do, but not as much. Even the front and back yards of houses I've seen it empty. Every park I go to its empty unless its the weekend.  As for the inside, they may not have a smarthphone, but they do ask their parents for their phones, tablets or Ipads to play games, watch tv and movies and other extra things. Last, not all older children had internet at home, unless you were talking about at school.

Nowadays, you see people doing it every day, they're hooked onto their phones.
They sure are. 

Written By: Howard on 09/20/14 at 6:01 pm

I know they do, but not as much. Even the front and back yards of houses I've seen it empty. Every park I go to its empty unless its the weekend.  As for the inside, they may not have a smarthphone, but they do ask their parents for their phones, tablets or Ipads to play games, watch tv and movies and other extra things. Last, not all older children had internet at home, unless you were talking about at school.

even kids don't get as much exercise as they used to cause most of them are inside playing video games.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/20/14 at 8:33 pm

even kids don't get as much exercise as they used to cause most of them are inside playing video games.
Thats happened for a long time since the mid 80s when the NES was introduced in America.  However, there good advantages from video games such as exploring, decreasing violence, having fun, and helping eye coordination.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/21/14 at 12:42 am

Thats happened for a long time since the mid 80s when the NES was introduced in America.  However, there good advantages from video games such as exploring, decreasing violence, having fun, and helping eye coordination.

Interesting you brought the NES up, I loved it back then for all of those reasons. My dad and I (and some of my family/school friends) used to play games like Zelda for hours back in 1987-90 or so.

For older teens/younger adults, the entire 2000s was probably a bit more like today in terms of technology (even if a basic texting/dumbphone only can do a fraction of what a 2010s smartphone can) but the first half of the 00s does seem like the last time you regularly saw tons of kids outside playing. Though perhaps its kinda to do with 24 hour newschannels and the internet instilling the fear of kidnappers and stuff into parents and not JUST because of tech either?

Written By: GH1996 on 09/21/14 at 12:54 am

Interesting you brought the NES up, I loved it back then for all of those reasons. My dad and I (and some of my family/school friends) used to play games like Zelda for hours back in 1987-90 or so.

the first half of the 00s does seem like the last time you regularly saw tons of kids outside playing

damn technology took todays kids over!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/21/14 at 1:47 am

For older teens/younger adults, the entire 2000s was probably a bit more like today in terms of technology (even if a basic texting/dumbphone only can do a fraction of what a 2010s smartphone can) but the first half of the 00s does seem like the last time you regularly saw tons of kids outside playing. Though perhaps its kinda to do with 24 hour newschannels and the internet instilling the fear of kidnappers and stuff into parents and not JUST because of tech either?
that's awesome. I feel like the NES was one of greatest game consoles ever made in game history

and you're right. In the early 00s, even though I was still a kid, i saw kids playing outside in their yards, at the park, at other kid events, and they even had an imagination having fun when they were inside the house alone or with friends.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/21/14 at 2:01 am

Honestly kids still play outside... I can't drive out of the driveway because kids are blocking the roads playing outside. I never understood why people keep saying kids don't play outside anymore. Maybe older kids? Kids age 4-8 still play very much outside. I could understand older kids play less outside because of technology and video games these days. Pre teens are online more often than outside as opposed to back then probably. But I always see little kids playing outside these days,

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/21/14 at 4:14 am

I've started getting more nostalgic for the early 00s recently. There was still a lot of good variety in music. I miss the mid 00s a little bit on a personal level, but not the culture. Lil Jon got old after a while.

I miss it on a personal level too. It's like the last of the glory days.  :-
Smartphones! I remember most teens had them but you could only really text or make calls on them (and they didn't have a color screen! Just that green/black with no color) . This was around 02/03.. First time I saw the first iPod touch/iphone I didn't even think it was possible for stuff like that.. Smart phones really changed everything

'02 and '03 I began to see flip phones, but you could just call and text yet. Before that most teens I knew didn't have one at all. The first ones I remember anyone with were all one piece and something you clipped on rather than put in your pocket.

Honestly kids still play outside... I can't drive out of the driveway because kids are blocking the roads playing outside. I never understood why people keep saying kids don't play outside anymore. Maybe older kids? Kids age 4-8 still play very much outside. I could understand older kids play less outside because of technology and video games these days. Pre teens are online more often than outside as opposed to back then probably. But I always see little kids playing outside these days,

It may just depend on the neighborhood. Growing up my street and the streets near it were full of children, not so much now. The only difference I see is parents waiting at bus stops with the kids or walking them there.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/21/14 at 4:32 am

For older teens/younger adults, the entire 2000s was probably a bit more like today in terms of technology (even if a basic texting/dumbphone only can do a fraction of what a 2010s smartphone can) but the first half of the 00s does seem like the last time you regularly saw tons of kids outside playing.

I was a teenager from '99-'06 and I only had a desktop computer and got internet access in 2000. We didn't use social media except for instant messengers and that was an important way to communicate back then. The biggest difference was, that we had to go home to write our messages or surf the internet. We couldn't even think of using the internet at any place we want to, like it is normal today with smartphones.

I have tried mobile internet in 2002 for one time though with my sister's cellphone. It was text based and extremely expensive and I didn't get a birthday present from her afterwards ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/21/14 at 8:04 am

I was a teenager from '99-'06 and I only had a desktop computer and got internet access in 2000. We didn't use social media except for instant messengers and that was an important way to communicate back then. The biggest difference was, that we had to go home to write our messages or surf the internet. We couldn't even think of using the internet at any place we want to, like it is normal today with smartphones.

I have tried mobile internet in 2002 for one time though with my sister's cellphone. It was text based and extremely expensive and I didn't get a birthday present from her afterwards ;D

You ran up a huge phone bill with it?  ;D Our first internet access wasn't cheap and it was limited to 8 hours a day and had to be through the store's service. I miss using messengers to talk because you can get on whenever you want, and off whenever you want. These days people get an attitude when you don't answer a text if your phone isn't constantly on.  ::)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/21/14 at 8:48 am

You ran up a huge phone bill with it? 

It was only about 10 USD (equivalent), but still too much for just checking an auction on ebay for 1 or 2 minutes ;)

Yes, nowadays you have to be on-line 24/7 and answear questions within minutes. Otherwise people might get impatient.
Even though we have so many different systems to communicate today, I don't think I meet friends more often than in the early 2000s. It's actually less... 

Our first internet access was no flat rate at all and I had to pay for every single minute. My parents were shocked when the first phone bill (50 USD only for internet) came. After that I got a flat rate which was only on sundays and holidays. I had to dial a special number then.
What I also did was using those free hours from the AOL CDs and then cancel it ;) - Oh yeah, I really miss those early internet days.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/14 at 3:11 pm

that's awesome. I feel like the NES was one of greatest game consoles ever made in game history

I feel Atari was the greatest console of my time.

Written By: Howard on 09/21/14 at 3:15 pm

Our first internet access wasn't cheap and it was limited to 8 hours a day and had to be through the store's service.

I remember our first internet access 18 years ago.

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 4:05 pm

The thing about gaming back then (probably NES to PS2/Xbox) was it was directed towards kids/teens. Gaming is more directed at adults (over 15s) than kids and you knew where you stood with it back then. When you bought a cartridge/floppy disk/computer tape you knew you had the whole game on it and it was so challenging and addictive it kept you going for a long time. Now games are measured in 'hours'. People say to me now, that such and such a game has 'x' amount of hours play to it.  ???

DLC (downloadable content) could have been something amazing but it's an excuse for lazy/cynical games developers to chop their full games up and blackmail consumers into buying their content (example Mass Effect 3).

Online play is great but now there is pressure for people to buy the game as soon as it comes out so they don't fall behind others who have preordered the game and played it 'x' amount of days before them.

There is not just one version of a game to buy now but there are collectors editions too (often come with a model or something) that is sold for anything from £20 to £100 extra. My mates bought Destiny for the Xbox One on Download for approx. £52 and then bought the game on disc! On top of that one of them was going to buy a collector's edition of the game because it had some merchandise with it. All in all, he was prepared to buy the same expensive console game 3 times costing him roughly £240!

The most worrying thing for me in console/computer gaming (this is where they really price kids out of the market IMO) is micro-transactions where you can buy extra things like weapons/outfits/skills whatever. It was bad enough when free games were doing it on Facebook (Farmville/Cityville from Zynga spring to mind) but I understood that because that is how Zynga makes it's money. To get the most out of a game now you are encouraged to spend increased amounts of money on top of the £40/£50 price you've already paid. My above mentioned mates spent £200 on micro-transactions for one computer game.

People say that we will never have a gaming crash like we did after the E.T fiasco in 1983 but it was this opportunistic attitude that started it all off in the first place. If we are not careful the next thing we will be getting nostalgic about is computer/console gaming.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/21/14 at 4:11 pm

The thing about gaming back then (probably NES to PS2/Xbox) was it was directed towards kids/teens. Gaming is more directed at adults (over 15s) than kids and you knew where you stood with it back then. When you bought a cartridge/floppy disk/computer tape you knew you had the whole game on it and it was so challenging and addictive it kept you going for a long time. Now games are measured in 'hours'. People say to me now, that such and such a game has 'x' amount of hours play to it.  ???

DLC (downloadable content) could have been something amazing but it's an excuse for lazy/cynical games developers to chop their full games up and blackmail consumers into buying their content (example Mass Effect 3).

Online play is great but now there is pressure for people to buy the game as soon as it comes out so they don't fall behind others who have preordered the game and played it 'x' amount of days before them.

There is not just one version of a game to buy now but there are collectors editions too (often come with a model or something) that is sold for anything from £20 to £100 extra. My mates bought Destiny for the Xbox One on Download for approx. £52 and then bought the game on disc! On top of that one of them was going to buy a collector's edition of the game because it had some merchandise with it. All in all, he was prepared to buy the same expensive console game 3 times costing him roughly £240!

The most worrying thing for me in console/computer gaming (this is where they really price kids out of the market IMO) is micro-transactions where you can buy extra things like weapons/outfits/skills whatever. It was bad enough when free games were doing it on Facebook (Farmville/Cityville from Zynga spring to mind) but I understood that because that is how Zynga makes it's money. To get the most out of a game now you are encouraged to spend increased amounts of money on top of the £40/£50 price you've already paid. My above mentioned mates spent £200 on micro-transactions for one computer game.

People say that we will never have a gaming crash like we did after the E.T fiasco in 1983 but it was this opportunistic attitude that started it all off in the first place. If we are not careful the next thing we will be getting nostalgic about is computer/console gaming.

There probably will be another crash, along with another Renaissance.

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 4:29 pm

I have seen it coming since I bought my PS4 on launch date late last year. Gaming has never been an inexpensive hobby but now games publishers are doing everything it takes to shaft their consumers and it will be to their own detriment in the end. Hopefully, if Nintendo manages to stays afloat it will be able to bring back R.O.B again to save us after the collapse like it did for the NES in 1985.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 09/22/14 at 1:50 pm

and also The WWE games too.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/22/14 at 2:00 pm

PC gaming was pretty popular during the first half of the 2000s but nearly completely died in the second half.  It seems as of recently there has been a slight uptick in it.  Console gaming on the other hand has remained consistently popular.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/23/14 at 1:02 am

I still have my iPod mini that I got for my birthday, hasn't been updated since mid 2005... ahhh the nostalgia

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/23/14 at 2:53 pm

I feel some nostalgia for the pre-Iraq War Bush years. I despised Bush then as I do now, but at least his idiocy didn't seem to be quite so capable of utterly ruining the country at that time as it would later, so I had an easier time making light of it and laughing at it, thinking he was just a temporary national embarrassment who would soon be on his way out. However, when it became clear that he wasn't only stupid but also dangerous, it wasn't so funny anymore.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/23/14 at 4:03 pm

I feel some nostalgia for the pre-Iraq War Bush years. I despised Bush then as I do now, but at least his idiocy didn't seem to be quite so capable of utterly ruining the country at that time as it would later, so I had an easier time making light of it and laughing at it, thinking he was just a temporary national embarrassment who would soon be on his way out. However, when it became clear that he wasn't only stupid but also dangerous, it wasn't so funny anymore.

Interesting.  In the post 9/11 world, it was almost taboo to openly bash Bush.  He had a tremendous amount of respect and political capital.  It wasn't until the Iraq war that his public approval started to erode. 

Written By: Bobby on 09/24/14 at 5:58 pm

PC gaming was pretty popular during the first half of the 2000s but nearly completely died in the second half.  It seems as of recently there has been a slight uptick in it.  Console gaming on the other hand has remained consistently popular.

PC gaming had the advantage of online play in the early 2000s as consoles at that time couldn't do it (I believe the Xbox was the first to introduce online gaming towards the end of it's run but it's effect was negligible). As the next generation came along (PS3/Xbox360) online play became a big focus around quarter/half way through it's life span and the PC didn't have that online advantage over consoles anymore.

Written By: XYkid on 09/24/14 at 5:59 pm

PC gaming has become very popular recently, ever heard of Steam?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/25/14 at 11:48 am

I agree there has been an uptick in PC gaming recently.  The current landscape is far better than in 2009 or 2010 when the only games coming out for PC were buggy console ports.  It's still no 2004 however.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/25/14 at 12:02 pm

PC gaming was huge in the '90s, it started declining in popularity after about 2003 or so, and now it's starting to get popular again. It became popular around '94 due to the graphical capabilities the PC could offer, and it started declining around 2004 as online gaming became more widespread. Remember the original Xbox (Microsoft's only good console!)? The PC gamers have been really vocal for the past few years, but it's only this year that people have been actually taking their advice.

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/25/14 at 12:07 pm

I am nostalgia for 1903.  That was good year for myself.  I have bit of memories every day from year.  You see, only myself can remember it as it were.  And only myself know that 1903 was magical sexy year for me.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/25/14 at 12:17 pm

PC gaming was huge in the '90s, it started declining in popularity after about 2003 or so, and now it's starting to get popular again. It became popular around '94 due to the graphical capabilities the PC could offer, and it started declining around 2004 as online gaming became more widespread. Remember the original Xbox (Microsoft's only good console!)? The PC gamers have been really vocal for the past few years, but it's only this year that people have been actually taking their advice.

I was a hardcore PC gamer from the late '90s through the late '00s.  2004 was the absolute peak of PC gaming.  That year we had Half Life 2, Doom 3, World of Warcraft, Far Cry, Unreal Tournament 2004, Counter Strike Source, Painkiller, and countless lesser known games that were still a blast to play.  The decline was noticeable after the release of the Xbox 360 in 2005.  There are several reasons for this, but one of the major things I blame it on is the fact PC games had become ahead of their time in the mid-2000s and ran rather poorly even on the high-end hardware of the day.  You could play the same game on the Xbox 360 and it would run much better than the PC version thanks to being optimized for the hardware.  This is why most of my PC gaming friends switched to consoles.  You literally had to spend $400 on a PC graphics card every six months just to keep up.

By the early 2010s this became less of an issue because once again the high-end hardware was way ahead of games that were currently being produced, as it should be.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/14 at 2:50 pm

As the next generation came along (PS3/Xbox360) online play became a big focus around quarter/half way through it's life span and the PC didn't have that online advantage over consoles anymore.

and this is why I love my PS3 now.

Written By: Bobby on 09/26/14 at 3:39 am

I am nostalgia for 1903.  That was good year for myself.  I have bit of memories every day from year.  You see, only myself can remember it as it were.  And only myself know that 1903 was magical sexy year for me.

Yes but did you view 1903 as part of the 1900s or the late 1890s?

Written By: Sita0 on 09/28/14 at 10:40 pm

Yes but did you view 1903 as part of the 1900s or the late 1890s?

IMHO it's this:

1889-1892: early 1890s
93-96: mid 90s
97-04: late 90s

Written By: GH1996 on 09/30/14 at 1:59 am

wait why are we talking about the 1890's?  ???

Written By: SpyroKev on 06/16/15 at 6:11 pm

At least a good majority. Music from 2000-2003 are 90s influenced. Even 2004 in a sense. Plus, their realizing how different the vibe was from back then.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/16/15 at 7:19 pm

Well, people just getting out of college like myself had their childhoods take place in the early 2000s, so it makes sense.  I have a lot of fond memories of the year 2002 especially, from the music, to the video games, to the television shows, and all other sorts of things.  I think that year was when I first became truly immersed in popular culture, which I felt started to decline around 2005.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/16/15 at 11:37 pm

At least a good majority. Music from 2000-2003 are 90s influenced. Even 2004 in a sense. Plus, their realizing how different the vibe was from back then.

The transition from late '90s culture to core '00s was pretty slow.  I remember that it wasn't until 2006 and 2007 with the peak of emo/MySpace culture that the 2000s really had a separate identity from the late '90s.  Looking back its pretty easy to see it but at the time the transition seemed pretty slow.

Written By: #Infinity on 06/16/15 at 11:49 pm

I think the overall cynical, materialistic, brash tone of the 00s was established all the way from 9/11 to the Great Recession, but that the decade's actual innovations, like YouTube, Wikipedia, crunk + emo music, etc., arrived more gradually.  For this reason, and also because so much of the decade's popular culture was just expanding upon things introduced in the 90s, it's no surprise a lot of people seem to have trouble defining the 00s as a coherent decade at all.  I think they were defined by pretty distinct overarching themes, it's just that you have to look much closer to understand how they're different from the 90s and 10s.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/17/15 at 12:08 am

I think the overall cynical, materialistic, brash tone of the 00s was established all the way from 9/11 to the Great Recession, but that the decade's actual innovations, like YouTube, Wikipedia, crunk + emo music, etc., arrived more gradually.  For this reason, and also because so much of the decade's popular culture was just expanding upon things introduced in the 90s, it's no surprise a lot of people seem to have trouble defining the 00s as a coherent decade at all.  I think they were defined by pretty distinct overarching themes, it's just that you have to look much closer to understand how they're different from the 90s and 10s.

I agree.

In hindsight, I can definitely see the overall themes of the '00s as well as their distinctness.  It was a lot more difficult to see though at the time.  I remember distinctly being on my lunch break at a mall food court in 2006 and thinking to myself how culture had not advanced very far since the late 1990s and that there wasn't a distinct 2000s culture.  Later that year and in 2007 it started to become a lot more apparent that there was in fact a 2000s culture and that it was more than just an evolved version of the late 1990s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/17/15 at 11:28 pm

2004 back then did not sound 90s like at all to me! I think you meant early 00s influenced!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/17/15 at 11:30 pm

The transition from late '90s culture to core '00s was pretty slow.  I remember that it wasn't until 2006 and 2007 with the peak of emo/MySpace culture that the 2000s really had a separate identity from the late '90s.  Looking back its pretty easy to see it but at the time the transition seemed pretty slow.

2004 and 2005 seemed core 00s culture to me back then!

Written By: mqg96 on 06/18/15 at 8:30 am

I agree, 2003 was the last year any type of 90's pop culture was still relevant, even though by then it was mostly 00's culture, by the time 2004 hit 90's culture was officially dead to me.

Written By: sonic2005 on 06/18/15 at 12:34 pm

true the early 00s was just an updated version of the late 90s the mid 00s is when 00s culture truly started to develop

Written By: mimitchi33 on 06/20/15 at 1:09 pm

Being a toddler during this time, it was just like the 90's, but it was the tail end of that decade. Yes, I believe people are getting nolstalgic over this. For example, I hear people talk about missing old shows like Recess, Kim Possible, Jimmy Neutron and even the television version of VeggieTales (I was eight when that came on and watched it every week!)

I still have a local Disney store with that exact same setup, and will visit it whenever I go to the nearby dentist. If anyone would like to know, this location's the one in the Broadway Mall. If you go by the side entrance near Macy's, it's the first thing you see. I got my Joy plush from Inside Out from this particular location, and she's sitting next to me (along with the Sadness plush my sister got me yesterday from the Disney Store at the Riverhead, NY Tanger Outlets). I also had three other Disney stores like this, but one remodeled and two shut down. The one that I spent the most time in is now a Forever 21 store, which I don't mind because 1. they have a Disney Store-like thing in JCPenney's and 2. they sell Hi-Chew!
Speaking of malls, there used to be a toy store in malls and sometimes shopping centers called KB Toys.  I would get a lot of great stuff from there. I remember getting a My Little Pony plush beanbag from 1997 from said location, and I have fond memories of the one at the Riverhead Outlets (I think it's now a clothing store or something.) I got a Hamtaro toy from there when I was obsessed with Hamtaro, and I would sometimes find stuff from the 90's there like Nano Pets and some Sailor Moon stuff (before I knew who Sailor Moon was, and I never brought it). I also remember this educational toy store called Zany Brainy (at the same outlets), which I have a story about that I remember well. On the same day I got Hamtaro, I saw a Mumfie plush, which I was obsessed with because I occasionally watched my brother's VHS tapes of the show, but my mom promised to get me him next time. When we went back, the store was closed, so she got me the pregnant Barbie doll that caused a lot of controversy back in the day instead, and I only remember chewing on it's belly a lot. (I was five, okay?).

Written By: nally on 06/21/15 at 12:54 pm

^ Oh yes, the Disney stores in the malls all looked pretty much like that. When I was a kid in the 80s and early 90s I would often go there. Ah, memories...

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/21/15 at 1:56 pm

Kind of - and I suspect in the next 5-10 years nostalgia for the 00s will explode as 90s babies reach their mid 20s-early 30s (and 80s babies really will be getting old, lol).

Written By: Howard on 06/21/15 at 2:27 pm

Kind of - and I suspect in the next 5-10 years nostalgia for the 00s will explode as 90s babies reach their mid 20s-early 30s (and 80s babies really will be getting old, lol).

What happens to the 70's babies?

Written By: shadowcookie on 06/21/15 at 2:31 pm

What happens to the 70's babies?

They died.  :\'(

Written By: Howard on 06/21/15 at 3:29 pm

They died.  :\'(

Am I a 70's baby? ???

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 06/21/15 at 3:31 pm

Am I a 70's baby? ???

since you were born in 74 you're obviously a 70s baby! But also a very late 70s and early -mid 80s kid!

Written By: Howard on 06/22/15 at 2:26 pm

since you were born in 74 you're obviously a 70s baby! But also a very late 70s and early -mid 80s kid!

I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's era.

Written By: YuYuYuuki on 10/23/17 at 6:23 pm

Being a toddler during this time, it was just like the 90's, but it was the tail end of that decade. Yes, I believe people are getting nolstalgic over this. For example, I hear people talk about missing old shows like Recess, Kim Possible, Jimmy Neutron and even the television version of VeggieTales (I was eight when that came on and watched it every week!)I still have a local Disney store with that exact same setup, and will visit it whenever I go to the nearby dentist. If anyone would like to know, this location's the one in the Broadway Mall. If you go by the side entrance near Macy's, it's the first thing you see. I got my Joy plush from Inside Out from this particular location, and she's sitting next to me (along with the Sadness plush my sister got me yesterday from the Disney Store at the Riverhead, NY Tanger Outlets). I also had three other Disney stores like this, but one remodeled and two shut down. The one that I spent the most time in is now a Forever 21 store, which I don't mind because 1. they have a Disney Store-like thing in JCPenney's and 2. they sell Hi-Chew!
Speaking of malls, there used to be a toy store in malls and sometimes shopping centers called KB Toys.  I would get a lot of great stuff from there. I remember getting a My Little Pony plush beanbag from 1997 from said location, and I have fond memories of the one at the Riverhead Outlets (I think it's now a clothing store or something.) I got a Hamtaro toy from there when I was obsessed with Hamtaro, and I would sometimes find stuff from the 90's there like Nano Pets and some Sailor Moon stuff (before I knew who Sailor Moon was, and I never brought it). I also remember this educational toy store called Zany Brainy (at the same outlets), which I have a story about that I remember well. On the same day I got Hamtaro, I saw a Mumfie plush, which I was obsessed with because I occasionally watched my brother's VHS tapes of the show, but my mom promised to get me him next time. When we went back, the store was closed, so she got me the pregnant Barbie doll that caused a lot of controversy back in the day instead, and I only remember chewing on it's belly a lot. (I was five, okay?).

KB FREAKIN' TOYS. YES. I REMEMBER THAT. What were the Sailor Moon stuff? I remember seeing some of the Serena and Amy dolls there and yes I bought a Hamtaro. Wait a minute. Mumfie? I think I had her. She had a show? I thought she was just a doll.

Also, 2002? Allow a flash game I was obsessed with as a kid sum it up for you in four words:
"You'll NEVER defeat us!"

Written By: Longaotian00 on 10/23/17 at 8:20 pm

I grew up in the late 70's and early 80's era.

Mostly 80's though :P

Check for new replies or respond here...