inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why did things change so much after 9/11?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/11/14 at 10:12 pm

Why did things change so much after 9/11? Seriously, it looks like it happened overnight. We all know politics changed, but why did pop culture? It didn't have to change anything, but it changed everything. 2001 was only a year after 2000 and yet they're completely unrelated. If someone were to say 1999 was different from 2000 it would sound silly, but if you were to say 2001 was really different from 2000 that would actually make a lot of sense. Here are a few pointers:

• Music transitioned from teen pop to full blown party/glam rap. Teen pop was already in decline, but 9/11 really accelerated the decline and the genre completely disappeared by summer 2002.

• Fashion went from the futuristic Y2K metallic clothing styles to all about jeans, jeans, jeans. Low-rise and Ultra came in after 9/11, as well as jean skirts, jean hats, etc. Fashion generally became more casual and less dressy and club-like.

• Rock music went from almost having a hip-hop vibe in nature that was common from 1997–2000 to being softer and more eery. Pop rock and power pop took a different direction and started to sound more "retro" and light-hearted. Compare Nine Days' "Absolutely (Story of A Girl)" in '00 to Fountains of Wayne's "Stacy's Mom" in '03, although I like both of those songs.

• Hip-hop started to evolve into a more southern sound until crunk came in and made southern rap the standard.

• Generation Y took over pop culture completely. Back in 2000 pop culture still largely belonged to what I like to call the X/Y cuspers (born circa 1975–1981). After 9/11 it was pure Millennial culture, screaming it actually.

• TV shows, especially teen shows, started talking about heavier, deeper issues such as murder, homosexuality, drug addiction, etc. This stuff was talked about before, but only dabbled in, not fearlessly dove into willingly like they did after 9/11.

• The pop cultural foundation was pretty much set in stone for 2001–2007. Things changed very little from within that timeframe, and I can't tell a difference between 2002 and 2007, whereas I can tell a massive difference between 1992 and 1997. It would take The Great Recession in early 2008 to actually give pop culture a fresh start.

Okay that was more than a few, but still, all my points still stand. So tell me, why did things change so much after 9/11? Why did things change so little afterward for the next several years? Did it feel unusual to you?

Subject: Re: Why did things change so much after 9/11?

Written By: Emman on 09/11/14 at 10:33 pm

It's surprising how little 911 changed pop culture actually, 1999 and 2002 are practically identical for all intents and purposes.

At least that's how I remember it, it was a very smooth and gradual transition from the '90s to '00s, the '00s didn't start to feel noticeably different from the late '90s until 2006-ish.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/11/14 at 10:37 pm

Why did things change so much after 9/11? Seriously, it looks like it happened overnight. We all know politics changed, but why did pop culture? It didn't have to change anything, but it changed everything. 2001 was only a year after 2000 and yet they're completely unrelated. If someone were to say 1999 was different from 2000 it would sound silly, but if you were to say 2001 was really different from 2000 that would actually make a lot of sense. Here are a few pointers:

• Music transitioned from teen pop to full blown party/glam rap. Teen pop was already in decline, but 9/11 really accelerated the decline and the genre completely disappeared by summer 2002.
• Fashion went from the futuristic Y2K metallic clothing styles to all about jeans, jeans, jeans. Low-rise and Ultra came in after 9/11, as well as jean skirts, jean hats, etc. Fashion generally became more casual and less dressy and club-like.
• Rock music went from almost having a hip-hop vibe in nature that was common from 1997–2000 to being softer and more eery. Pop rock and power pop took a different direction and started to sound more "retro" and light-hearted. Compare Nine Days' "Absolutely (Story of A Girl)" in '00 to Fountains of Wayne's "Stacy's Mom" in '03, although I like both of those songs.
• Hip-hop started to evolve into a more southern sound until crunk came in and made southern rap the standard.
• Generation Y took over pop culture completely. Back in 2000 pop culture still largely belonged to what I like to call the X/Y cuspers (born circa 1975–1981). After 9/11 it was pure Millennial culture, screaming it actually.
• TV shows, especially teen shows, started talking about heavier, deeper issues such as murder, homosexuality, drug addiction, etc. This stuff was talked about before, but only dabbled in, not fearlessly dove into willingly like they did after 9/11.
• The pop cultural foundation was pretty much set in stone for 2001–2007. Things changed very little from within that timeframe, and I can't tell a difference between 2002 and 2007, whereas I can tell a massive difference between 1992 and 1997. It would take The Great Recession in early 2008 to actually give pop culture a fresh start.

Okay that was more than a few, but still, all my points still stand. So tell me, why did things change so much after 9/11? Why did things change so little afterward for the next several years? Did it feel unusual to you?

Most of 2001 was pre 9/11 and it still felt like the same period from 1998.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/11/14 at 10:48 pm

Most of 2001 was pre 9/11 and it still felt like the same period from 1998.

Yes, pre 9/11 2001 was the same as before, but I'm talking about post 9/11.

It's surprising how little 911 changed pop culture actually

This is the first time I've heard an opinion like this...

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/11/14 at 10:50 pm

Yes, pre 9/11 2001 was the same as before, but I'm talking about post 9/11.

If you were in any class before class of 06, the late 90s culture continued until graduation with some added 00s elements.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/11/14 at 11:21 pm

By 2002/2003, rap was the dominant music, hip hop too. I guess that changed after 9/11.

Also, some girls started wearing low-rise jeans because of Britney Spears in 2001.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/12/14 at 1:26 am

The more I think about it, this is very true. While the basic 90s aesthetic was pretty strong up to 2005 or even 2006 from a distance (many of the same basic genres of music were popular - i.e. skater alternative rock and some form of gangsta rap) when you look at the details, its actually pretty different.

That "Y2K party atmosphere" faded away pretty quick which is the biggest difference. Like you said, it was already slightly in decline even in the earlier part of 2001 but by late 01, it might as well have been Duran Duran!  ;D Things like death metal seemed to drop off post 9/11 too.

Even though most 00s pop culture wasn't influenced by politics or world events, I do wonder if the entire decade would've been more like 1999/2000 had it not been for Dubya, the brief early zeroes recession and the 9/11 attacks/Iraq War. The hard shift to the right wing war on terror attitude definitely changed the more carefree party vibe of the mid and late 90s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/12/14 at 3:06 am

The more I think about it, this is very true. While the basic 90s aesthetic was pretty strong up to 2005 or even 2006 from a distance (many of the same basic genres of music were popular - i.e. skater alternative rock and some form of gangsta rap) when you look at the details, its actually pretty different.

That "Y2K party atmosphere" faded away pretty quick which is the biggest difference. Like you said, it was already slightly in decline even in the earlier part of 2001 but by late 01, it might as well have been Duran Duran!  ;D Things like death metal seemed to drop off post 9/11 too.

Even though most 00s pop culture wasn't influenced by politics or world events, I do wonder if the entire decade would've been more like 1999/2000 had it not been for Dubya, the brief early zeroes recession and the 9/11 attacks/Iraq War. The hard shift to the right wing war on terror attitude definitely changed the more carefree party vibe of the mid and late 90s.

The depressive aspects of the 90s got even stronger though in the early 2000s (late 01-mid 2003).
These songs are a lot more depressive (not to be confused with angry) than anything I remember in the 90s. They make you feel even more depressed than songs like Jeremy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zEm-U1hC7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ET3-t1jFmo0&list=ALGLx1orRGw4W6_CZpccJChRVnXkA7Q8H9

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/12/14 at 9:16 am

The teen pop phase was a late 90's/early 2000's blend. Party rap was definately around in 2000. Nelly anyone?

Metalic clothing wasn't out by 2001, I think was more certain stores that sold it going out of business that didn't leave much choice. Remember Gadzooks? All the glitter and shine you could want! So was Deb's, but they weren't as alternative.

In 2001 a person born in 1980 or 1981 would not be too old for the pop culture. They were in their early 20's. I don't see it as an age where you outgrow all your teenage fads phases right away.

Don't forget pop-punk rock though, a sound that's more lighthearted despite what they may sing about.

90's shows were more lighthearted and there seemed to be more sitcoms. TV of the 2000's decade was very different than the 90's and was starting to break taboos. Now most people wouldn't bat an eyelash at it.

I don't think the recession in 2008 did pop culture in, I think it was the aging of that demographic. Plus a new decade was around the corner.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/14 at 10:07 am

Most of it had to do with fear. The powers that be tried to make everyone fearful (which did work). That fear was ingrained in the American psyche and everything in American culture had an element of fear in it.

Cat

Written By: 80sfan on 09/12/14 at 12:43 pm

The teen pop phase was a late 90's/early 2000's blend. Party rap was definately around in 2000. Nelly anyone?

Metalic clothing wasn't out by 2001, I think was more certain stores that sold it going out of business that didn't leave much choice. Remember Gadzooks? All the glitter and shine you could want! So was Deb's, but they weren't as alternative.

In 2001 a person born in 1980 or 1981 would not be too old for the pop culture. They were in their early 20's. I don't see it as an age where you outgrow all your teenage fads phases right away.

Don't forget pop-punk rock though, a sound that's more lighthearted despite what they may sing about.

90's shows were more lighthearted and there seemed to be more sitcoms. TV of the 2000's decade was very different than the 90's and was starting to break taboos. Now most people wouldn't bat an eyelash at it.

I don't think the recession in 2008 did pop culture in, I think it was the aging of that demographic. Plus a new decade was around the corner.

But by 2002 it was EVERYWHERE!  :D :D :D

Written By: Howard on 09/12/14 at 2:50 pm

I think more security changed after 9/11, We are now trying to be more alert everywhere we go now.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/12/14 at 3:03 pm

Music transitioned from teen pop to full blown party/glam rap. Teen pop was already in decline, but 9/11 really accelerated the decline and the genre completely disappeared by summer 2002.
TV shows, especially teen shows, started talking about heavier, deeper issues such as murder, homosexuality, drug addiction, etc. This stuff was talked about before, but only dabbled in, not fearlessly dove into willingly like they did after 9/11.

Glam rap was already there before 9/11. It was there since 1999/2000 along with teen pop. Also, 2000 and 2001 were completely the same. The effects of 9/11 didnt change until about 2003.

Actually 2002 and 2007 were different for pop culture because in '02, there was party rap, the 6th generation of game consoles, SD resolution TV programs, VHS/DVD, not much online gaming, dial-up internet, pop-rock music, more kids channels, no Iraq war, not much social media (Only AOL existed) and good reality shows. In '07, there was online gaming, the transition from SD to HD programming, 7th generation of game consoles, broadband internet, DVD/Blu-Ray, Iphones, Party/glam rap was dying, rise of bad reality shows, Iraq war, less kids channels, more social media (YouTube, Facebook and Myspace), and electro-pop music rising to mainstream (Then it fully exploded in 2008).

Not only was it Nelly, but also Ludacris, Mystikal, Dr Dre, Snoop Dogg, Lil Jon, Missy Elliot, and Ja Rule.

Thats true. People who were in their early 20s in the early 2000s dont just be too old for pop culture. In fact, people born in the early 80s were still targets of pop culture until 2007/08. (By then, they were the ages of 25 to 28). Therefore, I can still see early 80s babies enjoying 2000s pop culture.

I also agree with your last statement.

I agree with both of you on discussing about heavy topics. In the 90s TV shows, they didnt talk about them, but in the 2000s, they did. I think it's because it would have stirred up some controversy, especially how those topics weren't dealt with on TV yet and in the real world, people may have felt uncomfortable talking about them.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 09/12/14 at 3:35 pm

I think more security changed after 9/11, We are now trying to be more alert everywhere we go now.

Security afterwards was basically a joke.

Cat

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/12/14 at 3:37 pm

I agree with both of you on discussing about heavy topics. In the 90s TV shows, they didnt talk about them, but in the 2000s, they did. I think it's because it would have stirred up some controversy, especially how those topics weren't dealt with on TV yet and in the real world, people may have felt uncomfortable talking about them.

Actually they did deal with controversial topics in the 90s. They usually called it "a very special episode". Anyone who watched shows other than kids shows would realize this. Even Saved by the Bell dealt with issues like Drug abuse. I think the difference between the 90s and 00s TV is that 00s TV was more crass and in your face.

Written By: Jquar on 09/12/14 at 3:37 pm

It's surprising how little 911 changed pop culture actually, 1999 and 2002 are practically identical for all intents and purposes.

At least that's how I remember it, it was a very smooth and gradual transition from the '90s to '00s, the '00s didn't start to feel noticeably different from the late '90s until 2006-ish.

I think our political and social rhetoric really started to shift after  9/11, but pop culture and fashion changed very slowly. You're right that 2004 felt fairly equivalent to 1999 at the time in that arena.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/12/14 at 3:44 pm

I think our political and social rhetoric really started to shift after  9/11, but pop culture and fashion changed very slowly. You're right that 2004 felt fairly equivalent to 1999 at the time in that arena.

Plus in the early 2000s, shows like Friends, Dawson's Creek, and Ally McBeal were still on the air. Even Sabrina the Teenage Witch was still on during 2003. Many reruns of late 90s shows were also playing and just as popular. If not for politics, we would think of this era as an extension of the late 90s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/12/14 at 5:02 pm

Actually they did deal with controversial topics in the 90s. They usually called it "a very special episode". Anyone who watched shows other than kids shows would realize this. Even Saved by the Bell dealt with issues like Drug abuse. I think the difference between the 90s and 00s TV is that 00s TV was more crass and in your face.
Thats exactly what those special episodes were called and yes, there were controversial episodes in the 90s, but what I meant was that people wouldnt talk about those topics much like they did in the 00s and even now because alot of people were uncomfortable and the fact that most non-kids shows were family friendly.

What do you mean by crass and in your face?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/12/14 at 5:15 pm

I'm surprise how popular this thread is getting, I'm impressed!

Also, 2000 and 2001 were completely the same.

I don't agree with you.

Party rap was definately around in 2000. Nelly anyone?
Glam rap was already there before 9/11.

Time to whip it out... http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/2000

There wasn't a lot of hip-hop in 2000, but a ton of R&B. Here are the Hip-hop songs of 2000:

1. Country Grammar - Nelly
2. Hot Boyz - Missy Elliott
3. The Real Slim Shady - Eminem
4. Big Pimpin' - Jay Z
5. Shake It Fast - Mystikal
6. Party Up - DMX
7. Forget About Dre - Dr. Dre
8. The Next Episode - Dr. Dre
9. What 'chu Like - Da Brat
10. 24/7 - Lil Bow Wow
11. It Wasn't Me - Shaggy (not on the list, but it hit #2 by the end of the year)

See how few there are? The fact that I can actually name how many hip-hop songs there are proves that it wasn't dominant that year. This really isn't even glam rap or party rap. The only songs you can dance to are #6 & #11. 2000 was the year of R&B and rock.

Here is the list for 2001: http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/2001

So many songs... It's inescapable... and so many of them are so bad... I'm not gonna even bother listing them. It was 2001 that was the year that party and glam rap became ubiquitous. 2000 and 2001 are no where even close to being the same.

but pop culture and fashion changed very slowly. You're right that 2004 felt fairly equivalent to 1999 at the time in that arena.
Plus in the early 2000s, shows like Friends, Dawson's Creek, and Ally McBeal were still on the air. Even Sabrina the Teenage Witch was still on during 2003. Many reruns of late 90s shows were also playing and just as popular. If not for politics, we would think of this era as an extension of the late 90s.

The late '90s weren't as similar to the early/mid 2000s as you think. For instance, watch the entire first 3 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The first season was filmed in 1996, and the first three seasons aired from 1997–1999. Look up pictures on the Buffy wiki and look at images of Buffy, Willow, the Scoobies, etc. Compare that to Veronica Mars' first season, which started in 2004. It isn't the same at all. 1996–2000 was more dressy and people would wear dress shoes and nightclub clothing to school and while doing recreational activities. In 2001 and onwards people wore jeans to school, work, the clubs, everywhere. Places where it was once considered inappropriate to wear jeans started to allow them after 9/11.

It seems like people are going by their memories to comment on this thread. 9/11 was 13 years ago. Memories fade as time goes on. Everyone needs to watch some tv shows, movies, and music videos from that time period so they can refresh their memory and then we'll talk. And stop saying the mid 2000s were like the late 90s, I don't want this thread to be locked or deleted for decadeology when it isn't even my fault.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 09/13/14 at 1:11 am

Another thing: By the mid-00's, wavy curls on girls and thick, shaggy hair on guys was getting popular.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/13/14 at 1:52 am

I don't agree with you.

There wasn't a lot of hip-hop in 2000, but a ton of R&B. Here are the Hip-hop songs of 2000:

4. Big Pimpin' - Jay Z
6. Party Up - DMX
10. 24/7 - Lil Bow Wow
11. It Wasn't Me - Shaggy (not on the list, but it hit #2 by the end of the year)

See how few there are? The fact that I can actually name how many hip-hop songs there are proves that it wasn't dominant that year. This really isn't even glam rap or party rap. The only songs you can dance to are #6 & #11. 2000 was the year of R&B and rock.

Here is the list for 2001: http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/2001

So many songs... It's inescapable... and so many of them are so bad... I'm not gonna even bother listing them. It was 2001 that was the year that party and glam rap became ubiquitous. 2000 and 2001 are no where even close to being the same.

The late '90s weren't as similar to the early/mid 2000s as you think. For instance, watch the entire first 3 seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. The first season was filmed in 1996, and the first three seasons aired from 1997–1999. Look up pictures on the Buffy wiki and look at images of Buffy, Willow, the Scoobies, etc. Compare that to Veronica Mars' first season, which started in 2004. It isn't the same at all. 1996–2000 was more dressy and people would wear dress shoes and nightclub clothing to school and while doing recreational activities. In 2001 and onwards people wore jeans to school, work, the clubs, everywhere. Places where it was once considered inappropriate to wear jeans started to allow them after 9/11.

It seems like people are going by their memories to comment on this thread. 9/11 was 13 years ago. Memories fade as time goes on. Everyone needs to watch some tv shows, movies, and music videos from that time period so they can refresh their memory and then we'll talk. And stop saying the mid 2000s were like the late 90s, I don't want this thread to be locked or deleted for decadeology when it isn't even my fault.

I was a teen in the early 2000s and club shops like 579 were in during the early 2000s (2001-2003). People wore peasant tops, mesh, metallic eye makeup, lots of glitter and rhinestones and yes this is post 9/11 early 2000s. Wearing a tie like Avril was also in as well as wearing velour tracksuits.
This video shows what people wore
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQcf3q03iFA

2000 was actually much plainer. It was Abercrombie and American Eagle. Some people wore flannel and ripped jeans. Some wore goth wear.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/13/14 at 2:42 am

I don't agree with you.

4. Big Pimpin' - Jay Z
6. Party Up - DMX
10. 24/7 - Lil Bow Wow

you're missing some artists and songs who were there in 2000

Nelly - E.I.
Ludacris - what's your fantasy
Ludacris - southern hospitality
Jay-Z - i wanna love you
Lil Bow Wow - Bounce with me
Baha Men -who let the dogs out
Beenie man ft. Mya - girls dem sugar

Just to know, we never said that party rap was popular, we said that it was there. Also, everyone had danced to all the songs you listed. Those are all party rap songs except #11.

However, i do agree 2000 was full of R&B and Rock, but remember rap may have not been popular during that year, but it was still there.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/13/14 at 3:41 am

Thats exactly what those special episodes were called and yes, there were controversial episodes in the 90s, but what I meant was that people wouldnt talk about those topics much like they did in the 00s and even now because alot of people were uncomfortable and the fact that most non-kids shows were family friendly.

What do you mean by crass and in your face?

I mean lots of shock humor and singers being shocking for the sake of being shocking. Gross out and shock humor was in. People would laugh and see people fighting on reality shows like Big Brother and Survivor. The "good girl gone bad" act was overdone.

Written By: Howard on 09/13/14 at 6:57 am

and some episodes dealt with pregnancy, sexual abuse and AIDS.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/13/14 at 2:00 pm

I was a teen in the early 2000s and club shops like 579 were in during the early 2000s (2001-2003). People wore peasant tops, mesh, metallic eye makeup, lots of glitter and rhinestones and yes this is post 9/11 early 2000s. Wearing a tie like Avril was also in as well as wearing velour tracksuits.

2000 was actually much plainer. It was Abercrombie and American Eagle. Some people wore flannel and ripped jeans. Some wore goth wear.

I have in fact seen that video before, and I do believe that was what was popular. However, that was teenage girls. I was talking about young women and men aged 18–25. If that's what you say the girls your age wore at the time, I believe you, but I'm talking about young adults.

(P.S. - Can you please show me what you look like?)

Nelly - E.I.
Ludacris - what's your fantasy
Ludacris - southern hospitality
Jay-Z - i wanna love you
Lil Bow Wow - Bounce with me
Baha Men -who let the dogs out
Beenie man ft. Mya - girls dem sugar

That Jay Z song doesn't exist, you might be thinking Akon (an '06 song). Bernie man's song didn't hit the top 40. Southern hospitality didn't hit the top 40 until '01. Who let the dogs out is reggae dance.

Just to know, we never said that party rap was popular, we said that it was there. Also, everyone had danced to all the songs you listed. Those are all party rap songs except #11.

No, they're east and west coast hip-hop with funk and electronic influences.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/13/14 at 2:54 pm

That Jay Z song doesn't exist, you might be thinking Akon (an '06 song). Bernie man's song didn't hit the top 40. Southern hospitality didn't hit the top 40 until '01. Who let the dogs out is reggae dance.

No, they're east and west coast hip-hop with funk and electronic influences.
Actually, it does. Heres the song name

Jay-Z - I just wanna love you (give it 2 me) ft. Pharrell Williams.

Both of those songs may havent topped the charts at least until the next year, but they were released in 2000 and I bet some people remember those songs before they were popular.

Yeah, they have funk and electronic influences, but they were also party rap songs too.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/14/14 at 6:38 am

But by 2002 it was EVERYWHERE!  :D :D :D

2000 was only the first year so it takes a while to build up. There were two years leading up to 2002 so...  8)

Written By: Visor765 on 09/14/14 at 10:25 am

Don't forget Moesha.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/14 at 2:58 pm

I mean lots of shock humor and singers being shocking for the sake of being shocking. Gross out and shock humor was in. People would laugh and see people fighting on reality shows like Big Brother and Survivor. The "good girl gone bad" act was overdone.
Ohh. I know what you mean. there was shock value such as Britney and Christina kissing Madonna, Both Britney and Christina shedding their good girl image, and Kanye West interrupting Taylor's speech. And there sure were lots of fights in reality shows. It's like there was one in almost every episode of every reality show. and Yes, there was definitely gross stuff with contestants doing nasty stuff in Fear Factor, Bad Girls Club, Survivor and other competition reality shows.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/15/14 at 2:57 pm

I think all these changes occurred in spite of 9/11 and not because of it.  All of the foundations for the change was actually already in place in Summer 2001, before 9/11 happened.  As I've said in other threads, teen pop fads are very fickle because they appeal to such a narrow age group.  The pre-teens and early teens of the late 90s teen pop era moved on to hip-hop in the early 2000s as older teens and young adults.  Even the huge icons i.e. Britney, Christina, *NSync/Justin Timberlake, etc developed a more mature, urban sound starting in around 2001.  While overall pop culture eras tend to last about 5-7 years, in my opinion the transition from the '90s into the '00s was more gradual than most.   

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/15/14 at 11:12 pm

Ohh. I know what you mean. there was shock value such as Britney and Christina kissing Madonna, Both Britney and Christina shedding their good girl image, and Kanye West interrupting Taylor's speech. And there sure were lots of fights in reality shows. It's like there was one in almost every episode of every reality show. and Yes, there was definitely gross stuff with contestants doing nasty stuff in Fear Factor, Bad Girls Club, Survivor and other competition reality shows.

Reality shows were such crap back then because of it. Not that they're good now, but it seems like if you watch Survivor or Big Brother most of the contestants aren't as trashy these days.  ::) The trashiest was Temptation Island, I'm glad it was short lived.

I think all these changes occurred in spite of 9/11 and not because of it.  All of the foundations for the change was actually already in place in Summer 2001, before 9/11 happened.  As I've said in other threads, teen pop fads are very fickle because they appeal to such a narrow age group.  The pre-teens and early teens of the late 90s teen pop era moved on to hip-hop in the early 2000s as older teens and young adults.  Even the huge icons i.e. Britney, Christina, *NSync/Justin Timberlake, etc developed a more mature, urban sound starting in around 2001.  While overall pop culture eras tend to last about 5-7 years, in my opinion the transition from the '90s into the '00s was more gradual than most. 

I don't see how 9/11 influenced teen pop culture either. It changed other areas of life, but not that.

Where I'm from Abercrombie was in all the way through high school.  ::) Preppy was dominant here. There was however plenty of glittery and metallic clothing available for the more "daring" few who came to school not being preppy.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/16/14 at 1:15 pm

The only thing that changed after 9/11 is tighter security measures in airports.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/14 at 2:32 pm

Reality shows were such crap back then because of it. Not that they're good now, but it seems like if you watch Survivor or Big Brother most of the contestants aren't as trashy these days.  ::) The trashiest was Temptation Island, I'm glad it was short lived.

I watched a lot of reality shows like Survivor and Big Brother but then I lost interest after a couple of years.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/16/14 at 7:37 pm

Yeah, these days, the contestants are different than they were in the 2000s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/17/14 at 7:36 pm

I watched a lot of reality shows like Survivor and Big Brother but then I lost interest after a couple of years.

Not all the Survivor seasons were bad though, I liked a few, but very few. There was this one show called Boot Camp that only ran once that I liked, in 2000. Like the name implies it was a reality show about being at boot camp and they'd vote eachother out at dismissal hill and have to compete.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/17/14 at 11:11 pm

I think that 90's reality TV shows like The Real World and Road Rules were just as trashy as anything from the 00's or 10's.

Written By: Jquar on 09/18/14 at 2:05 am

The Real World seemed to start out with decent intentions but it got pretty stupid pretty quickly. First few seasons might be good for examining cultural differences/issues, but that was as far as it should have gone.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/18/14 at 7:04 am

I think that 90's reality TV shows like The Real World and Road Rules were just as trashy as anything from the 00's or 10's.

They paved the way for it.

Written By: Howard on 09/18/14 at 2:29 pm

Not all the Survivor seasons were bad though, I liked a few, but very few. There was this one show called Boot Camp that only ran once that I liked, in 2000. Like the name implies it was a reality show about being at boot camp and they'd vote eachother out at dismissal hill and have to compete.

I liked the original Survivor when Richard Hatch was on.

Written By: Inertia on 09/19/14 at 4:23 pm

I don't remember pop culture changing as much as attitudes and airport security.

Plus, I recall being annoyed every time I saw companies trying to milk the tragedy for money by selling merchandise related to the event. Someone always tries to profit from everything.

Written By: XYkid on 09/20/14 at 3:40 am

9/11 affected the world more on a political scale, not so much pop culturally. People became more patriotic because of it, but patriotism was actually very popular in the late 90s from what I remember, so 9/11 was really just a catalyst for something that was already there.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/14 at 6:57 am

I don't remember pop culture changing as much as attitudes and airport security.

Plus, I recall being annoyed every time I saw companies trying to milk the tragedy for money by selling merchandise related to the event. Someone always tries to profit from everything.

I didn't like the way people were profiting off of 9/11, really disgusting! >:(

Written By: Inertia on 09/20/14 at 8:26 am

I didn't like the way people were profiting off of 9/11, really disgusting! >:(

Yes. I use to get so angry whenever I saw those kinds of sections in stores. I can't stand how companies are always trying to make money off of literally everything. I understand they are a business, but sometimes it is ridiculous.

Written By: Howard on 09/20/14 at 6:03 pm

Yes. I use to get so angry whenever I saw those kinds of sections in stores. I can't stand how companies are always trying to make money off of literally everything. I understand they are a business, but sometimes it is ridiculous.

and I can't believe people were going to pay silly money for those shirts.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/21/14 at 5:04 pm

Actually I think reality TV was better in the early 2000s than today. In 2000, it was new, innovative, and fresh. People didn't totally understand what it was, so the people who participated it were not as ridiculous. The first two seasons of Survivor and the first season of American Idol are huge examples of this.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/03/14 at 9:34 pm

I concur with this. Though I wouldn't so much say 2005 was not noticeably different from the late 90s as it felt more or less exactly the same as 2001. I think there is a noticeable aesthetic difference between 1997-98 and 2001 too.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/14 at 6:57 am

I think after the Twin Tower attacks, things changed as far as police protection and surveillance cameras were concerned. I don't remember things like this now happening before 9/11, 14 or 15 years ago.

Written By: John Titor on 12/18/18 at 4:19 pm

I will give you my take on this as thru the eyes of someone in 8th grade during the 2001-2002 school year

1) The y2k era ended somewhere in between May 2001 - July 2001 (First week of August the latest)
2) Music was already changing from teen pop to more urban pop during this time period ^
3) XBOX & Gamecube arriving on the scene changed the vibe, The 6th gen officially kicked off
4) Despite PS2 coming out in 2000, NO ONE had one yet as the system was hardly even in stock, it was not until October 2001 everyone could get one.
5) DVD, need I say more
6) Culture got more mature as well, I remember that school year feeling more like REAL
7) 2001 Hip Hop came with a Vengeance, There was not as many hip hop songs in 2000 as 2001.

It just so happened that all of these changes were coming to a full point on 9/11, so 9/11 did accelerate some of these changes, but also
these changes final transition point happened to occur at 9/11 coincidentally . I was a teen then, so  I would say I have a VERY vivd experience of that
era. The mood was already changing, 9/11 just put a bigger stamp on it, and to those who say it felt like 98,99, that is bullsheesh, it felt nothing like those
years, late 2001 felt like a new era had started no matter what anyone says. If anyone claims otherwise they were not a teen in 2001/2002 and prob 3 years old.

@bchris02 was most likely my age during this era so he will most likely attest to everything I am saying.
Because that is how it really happened.

Written By: Tyrannosaurus Rex on 12/18/18 at 8:12 pm

I will give you my take on this as thru the eyes of someone in 8th grade during the 2001-2002 school year

1) The y2k era ended somewhere in between May 2001 - July 2001 (First week of August the latest)
2) Music was already changing from teen pop to more urban pop during this time period ^
3) XBOX & Gamecube arriving on the scene changed the vibe, The 6th gen officially kicked off
4) Despite PS2 coming out in 2000, NO ONE had one yet as the system was hardly even in stock, it was not until October 2001 everyone could get one.
5) DVD, need I say more
6) Culture got more mature as well, I remember that school year feeling more like REAL
7) 2001 Hip Hop came with a Vengeance, There was not as many hip hop songs in 2000 as 2001.

It just so happened that all of these changes were coming to a full point on 9/11, so 9/11 did accelerate some of these changes, but also
these changes final transition point happened to occur at 9/11 coincidentally . I was a teen then, so  I would say I have a VERY vivd experience of that
era. The mood was already changing, 9/11 just put a bigger stamp on it, and to those who say it felt like 98,99, that is bullsheesh, it felt nothing like those
years, late 2001 felt like a new era had started no matter what anyone says. If anyone claims otherwise they were not a teen in 2001/2002 and prob 3 years old.

@bchris02 was most likely my age during this era so he will most likely attest to everything I am saying.
Because that is how it really happened.

bchris02 was born in 1985.

Aren't you born in like 1988?

Written By: John Titor on 12/18/18 at 9:16 pm

bchris02 was born in 1985.

Aren't you born in like 1988?

Early 1989

Almost around the same age

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/19/18 at 12:20 am

In the UK, I don't think life really changed much at all. More security at airports I guess but your day to day life continued the same as it did before.

The 7 July 2005 bombings in London obviously had a more profound impact on the UK.

It's also important to note that terrorism was rife in the UK in the 20th century. Over 1,000 people in the UK were killed due to terrorism in the 1970s. We are no strangers to that unfortunately.

Written By: John Titor on 12/19/18 at 12:24 am

In the UK, I don't think life really changed much at all. More security at airports I guess but your day to day life continued the same as it did before.

The 7 July 2005 bombings in London obviously has a more profound impact on the UK.

Must been way different for you guys, in the usa music was already changing at a snails pace and just happened to culminate on the week of 9/11.
Everything was different but not because of 9/11, politically yes, 9/11 only aided in speeding up the pop culture  process.

I also heard teen pop era lasted longer for you guys am I correct ?

Written By: shadowcookie on 12/19/18 at 12:27 am

Must been way different for you guys, in the usa music was already changing at a snails pace and just happened to culminate on the week of 9/11.
Everything was different but not because of 9/11, politically yes, 9/11 only aided in speeding up the pop culture  process.

I also heard teen pop era lasted longer for you guys am I correct ?

Maybe a bit longer - we definitely had a lot of boy and girl bands after 9/11. A lot of our music comes from the US though.

Written By: John Titor on 12/19/18 at 11:25 am

Maybe a bit longer - we definitely had a lot of boy and girl bands after 9/11. A lot of our music comes from the US though.

Damn thats nuts, yeah around July 2001 boybands were finished, going from 9/11 forward the only boyband you heard
was Nsync, which only had Neptunes produced hits (sounding nothing like the y2k era) USA literally threw boy bands in the
bushes as fast as they came.

The vibe for you guys must have felt like another world from here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/18 at 11:30 am

Damn thats nuts, yeah around July 2001 boybands were finished, going from 9/11 forward the only boyband you heard
was Nsync, which only had Neptunes produced hits (sounding nothing like the y2k era) USA literally threw boy bands in the
bushes as fast as they came.

The vibe for you guys must have felt like another world from here.
How do you account for boybands like Westlife, Take That, One Direction, etc, which prospered after July 2001?

Written By: John Titor on 12/19/18 at 11:36 am

How do you account for boybands like Westlife, Take That, One Direction, etc, which prospered after July 2001?

One Direction came out in 2011

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/19/18 at 12:20 pm

One Direction came out in 2011
Yes, but still were active after 2001.

Written By: Howard on 12/19/18 at 1:41 pm

Do you think things would've changed if there hadn't been for 9/11?

Written By: John Titor on 12/19/18 at 1:50 pm

Do you think things would've changed if there hadn't been for 9/11?

Yes

Music was already changing between May 2001- July 2001 from Teen Pop to more adult pop ( Britney Spears's Slave, Michelle Branch,Vanessa Carlton) so that was going to happen no matter what happened

Mzybwwf2HoQ
Britney was already out of the teen pop era phase a mere few days before 9/11 happened.

The sixth generation systems (PS2 had a shortage until October 2001) Xbox and Gamecube kicked off

Pop punk was in it's next phase  (Sum 41, Blink 182, Jimmy Eat World) the week before 9/11  (First week back to school)

I remember the week coming back to school (few days before the 2001 MTV VMAS) on September 4th feeling very different, this is also when  "I am a Slave 4 U" debuted Britney's new image for a more adult pop sound. The change was going to happen no matter what,  9/11 just put a stamp on it to make it known  " The 2000s had started"  Of course 9/11 had repercussions, Airports, The War on Terror, Anthrax Scares, small minute Recession, censorship on tv (was not as much) Patriotism for a short while. Late 2001 had that brand new feeling a whole week before 9/11 happened.

Written By: wsmith4 on 12/20/18 at 7:03 am

You shouldn't pay me to go back to this sh*t time.  Or any time from my miserable past.

Written By: John Titor on 12/26/18 at 11:30 am

You shouldn't pay me to go back to this sh*t time.  Or any time from my miserable past.
hey...

Written By: Howard on 12/26/18 at 2:24 pm

I guess after the Twin Towers bombing, people thought that maybe there needs to be more police presence.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/04/21 at 4:37 pm

If anything it feels weird that it wasn't more changeful. Lots of people say the early 00s era continued until 2004 and it shows with how upbeat 2002 and 2003 are in pop culture.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/05/21 at 10:47 am

If anything it feels weird that it wasn't more changeful. Lots of people say the early 00s era continued until 2004 and it shows with how upbeat 2002 and 2003 are in pop culture.

I actually remember 9/11/01 to 2003 to be a dark and depressing time, similar to now since the pandemic started. I guess because I was already an adult and especially being in the military, so things were more complicated and stressful, plus really changed the experience of flying home to visit family from across the country. 2004 was when things seemed to go back to normal.

Written By: NightmareFarm on 09/05/21 at 11:19 am

I actually remember 9/11/01 to 2003 to be a dark and depressing time, similar to now since the pandemic started. I guess because I was already an adult and especially being in the military, so things were more complicated and stressful, plus really changed the experience of flying home to visit family from across the country. 2004 was when things seemed to go back to normal.

Everyone seems to describe the entire early 00s period(including 02 and 03) as being upbeat and positive and the pop culture definitely feels that way even if the actual events that happened weren't.

Written By: Howard on 09/05/21 at 1:23 pm

So why did it take a few years to get back to normal?

Written By: Shemp97 on 09/07/21 at 12:05 pm

This. Alot of trends people associate with post-9/11 culture could be seen emerging a couple years before such as the bling era(started 1999 according to Wikipedia), emo rock, crunk, Britney spears, Paris Hilton, Juicy, several aspects of politics, etc.

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/07/21 at 7:24 pm

So why did it take a few years to get back to normal?

I think the Iraq War kind of prolonged that period. Although the second half of 2002 also seemed to be more normal and have a chill vibe. 2003 seemed darker with Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, the SARS outbreak, and the aforementioned Iraq War. The economy was in a minor recession as well following the dot com bubble burst and 9/11.

Everyone seems to describe the entire early 00s period(including 02 and 03) as being upbeat and positive and the pop culture definitely feels that way even if the actual events that happened weren't.

Pop culturally yes, there was a lot of good music then, and movies and video games.

Written By: Howard on 09/08/21 at 4:25 am

I think the Iraq War kind of prolonged that period. Although the second half of 2002 also seemed to be more normal and have a chill vibe. 2003 seemed darker with Space Shuttle Columbia disaster, the SARS outbreak, and the aforementioned Iraq War. The economy was in a minor recession as well following the dot com bubble burst and 9/11.

Pop culturally yes, there was a lot of good music then, and movies and video games.

What about the presidency? Wasn't George Bush still the president at that time? ???

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 09/08/21 at 9:28 am

What about the presidency? Wasn't George Bush still the president at that time? ???

LMGTFY

https://letmegooglethat.com/

Written By: Howard on 09/08/21 at 3:18 pm

LMGTFY

https://letmegooglethat.com/
Thank You, I Googled it.

Written By: Sman12 on 09/08/21 at 5:58 pm

Well, 9/11 irrevocably changed national and international security since hijackings before the attacks were generally viewed as hostage/ransom crises, but that all dramatically changed on that horrific day. Nowadays, you're checked from head to toe by the TSA, and we now have things like the DHS, the Patriot Act, and impenetrable cockpit doors to help curb aircraft hijackings.

Pop-culturally, the attacks immediately affected several ClearChannel radio stations because the company added a list of over 165 songs with "questionable" lyrics for DJs to not play (it was apparently a suggestion, not an outright ban of these songs). There was also a celebrity telethon supporting the 9/11 fund for victims' families and the injured.

And for a brief period of time, country music talking about 9/11 became popular with Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, etc. with the patriotic (and rather jingoistic) American sentiment.

So for most of pop culture, it was a rather immediate but brief shock to the system, but from most people's experiences on this topic, it didn't really change the culture all that much.

Written By: Howard on 09/09/21 at 4:48 am

Well, 9/11 irrevocably changed national and international security since hijackings before the attacks were generally viewed as hostage/ransom crises, but that all dramatically changed on that horrific day. Nowadays, you're checked from head to toe by the TSA, and we now have things like the DHS, the Patriot Act, and impenetrable cockpit doors to help curb aircraft hijackings.

Pop-culturally, the attacks immediately affected several ClearChannel radio stations because the company added a list of over 165 songs with "questionable" lyrics for DJs to not play (it was apparently a suggestion, not an outright ban of these songs). There was also a celebrity telethon supporting the 9/11 fund for victims' families and the injured.

And for a brief period of time, country music talking about 9/11 became popular with Toby Keith, Alan Jackson, etc. with the patriotic (and rather jingoistic) American sentiment.

So for most of pop culture, it was a rather immediate but brief shock to the system, but from most people's experiences on this topic, it didn't really change the culture all that much.

And now we're getting these Emergency Alert Signals on our TV's, has anyone seen it lately? ???

Check for new replies or respond here...