inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: iPods

Written By: Visor765 on 09/23/14 at 10:22 am

The iPod Classic is now dead. Apple discontinued it on September 9, 2014.  :\'( On January 2001, iTunes Music Juke Box was launched, replacing SoundJam MP as the Macintosh Music player which was available from 1998 to 2001. The iPod was released in October 2001, it was 5 gb and could hold 1,000 songs in your pocket.

In June 2002 the second generation was introduced, and it supported Windows. 600,000 iPods were sold in 2002.

On April 28, 2003, Apple launched the iTunes Music Store, offering over 200,000 songs for just 99¢ each, as well as the third generation iPod. This featured a redesign, having four buttons below the brand new color wheel; these buttons were never seen again. Two months later, Apple had officially sold it's one millionth iPod. By the end of that year, iTunes had sold 25 million downloadable songs, and two million iPods, making 2003 the year that the digital download era began.

The fourth generation iPod was released on July 19, 2004. The iPod Mini was introduced January of that year, featuring an aluminum casing in a bewildering variety of colors. July of that year iTunes went international, spreading to the U.K., France, and Germany. By December of that year the iTunes Music Store had reached 200 million legally downloaded songs. 10 million iPods were sold throughout 2004. Macworld and arstechnica dubbed it "The Year of the iPod".

http://www.macworld.com/article/1041586/2004inreviewmusic.html
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2005/01/mac-20050104/

In January 2005, iPod Shuffle was introduced. Throughout the summer, the iPod Nano replaces the iPod Mini and iTunes Store debuts in Japan. In October, a fifth generation iPod was released playing videos and the iTunes store expands to include TV shows and music videos. In 2005, 42 million iPods were sold.

By early 2006, the iTunes Store had reached it's one billionth legal song download. iTunes starts selling movies in the summer, as well as newer versions of the iPod Nano and iPod Shuffle. 88 million iPods were sold in 2006.

I'm gonna enter the late 2000s, but you see how far the iPod has come in the last several years? It's amazing. By far the biggest year for iPod was 2004, and '05 and '06 were just expansions of what 2004 had to offer. In 2007 the iPhone was released, officially dethroning the iPod as Apple's flagship gadget. What are your memories of iPods? Share in the comments section below!

Subject: Re: iPods

Written By: GH1996 on 09/23/14 at 11:15 am

Good post, I still have my iPod mini that I got for my birthday in December of 04'. My older cousins were over that day and we downloaded music. I still have the exact same iPod today working and everything! Last time I updated it was April of 05'  8)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/23/14 at 12:05 pm

I never had an iPod. I bought my first MP3 player (a USB flash stick) with 128 MB in 2004 and 2 years later another one with 512 MB. Nowadays I just use my phone to listen to MP3s when I am not at home and it's as good as any iPod.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/23/14 at 2:37 pm

I never owned an original. Mine is an iPod nano 7th generation.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 09/25/14 at 2:47 am

The iPod Classic is now dead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8H29jU8Wrs

Yes it is.  :o :o :o

Written By: wsmith4 on 09/25/14 at 12:17 pm

My first    ipod holded only 20,0,00 songs and sold me on music downloaded as per the internet.  I bought 5 different ipdos that year because they were so cheap.  Now, they go for like $400 or more because the next ipod will be released by Christmas.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 09/25/14 at 1:59 pm

I actually only bought my first iPod (Touch 5th generation) earlier this year! Before that I'd had Sony MP3 players.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/14 at 2:42 pm

I remember my sister getting a Creative Zen Touch for Christmas in 2005. It was quite similar to the original iPod and I was amazed about the 20 GB harddisk.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41810HV7DRL.jpg

You were able to scroll down by just touching the area between the right and left buttons. That was like a novelity for me and I do more and more realize how "old school" even my late teens were if I look at today's technology.

that's a nice iPod.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/25/14 at 5:59 pm

I've seen iPod knockoffs and are they just as good or not? I know it's not old, but did anyone have a Zune?

Written By: Howard on 09/26/14 at 7:03 am

That's a more affordable version of the iPod ;)

How much did they cost?  ???

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/26/14 at 7:19 am

How much did they cost?  ???

Back in 2005 about 200 Euros which is approx. 250 USD today.

Written By: Vance Jacobsen on 09/26/14 at 8:37 am

I got my first MP3 player in 2007 ( I had to get rid of it after four years because It kept malfunctioning >:() and my first Ipod a couple of years ago. It was an old one my friend gave me because she got an IPhone and didn't need it anymore. 

Written By: Howard on 09/26/14 at 1:06 pm

Back in 2005 about 200 Euros which is approx. 250 USD today.

I'm still thinking of getting myself an iPod.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/26/14 at 8:29 pm

Oh yeah! What kind? Unless you buy a used iPod they never seem to go below $145, what I see them listed as in store ads. Holidays being the exception. I like the nano, but you can take pictures and play games and watch videos on the iPod touch. Those cost more yet.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/14 at 6:49 am

Oh yeah! What kind? Unless you buy a used iPod they never seem to go below $145, what I see them listed as in store ads. Holidays being the exception. I like the nano, but you can take pictures and play games and watch videos on the iPod touch. Those cost more yet.

I just want one that I can store music on, I can download songs from YouTube and plus I got a library of CDs stored in my closet.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/27/14 at 7:18 am

I just want one that I can store music on, I can download songs from YouTube and plus I got a library of CDs stored in my closet.

I didn't think you could download from YouTube?

Written By: Howard on 09/27/14 at 7:27 am

I think you could, there's a way.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/27/14 at 8:30 am

You can download the videos with different tools. You can easily google for them ;)
It should also be no problem to extract the audio track from the files.

I wouldn't use Youtube Videos to create music files though. The quality is not always the best...

Written By: Howard on 09/27/14 at 5:55 pm

You can download the videos with different tools. You can easily google for them ;)
It should also be no problem to extract the audio track from the files.

I wouldn't use Youtube Videos to create music files though. The quality is not always the best...

and plus you can use your own CDs.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/28/14 at 2:08 am

if you check eBay you can usually pick one up off there for pretty cheap! (15-50 bucks depending on the memory size)

Written By: Howard on 09/28/14 at 2:41 pm

if you check eBay you can usually pick one up off there for pretty cheap! (15-50 bucks depending on the memory size)

I'll try it.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/28/14 at 6:38 pm

Try a pawn store too, someone I work with got hers that way. An older nano without a touch screen, but still holds alot of songs.

Written By: Sita0 on 09/28/14 at 10:29 pm

I'll try it.

The old hard disk ones were cheaper and bigger, but mine died a few years ago. My SSD iPods are good to this day.

Written By: Howard on 09/29/14 at 1:42 pm

The old hard disk ones were cheaper and bigger, but mine died a few years ago. My SSD iPods are good to this day.

How many songs can it hold?

Written By: Louise1978 on 10/17/14 at 1:15 am

I used to own an ipod touch,but now I just use my phone to listen to music when I'm out.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/17/14 at 7:21 am

I used to own an ipod touch,but now I just use my phone to listen to music when I'm out.

What happened to it?

Written By: Sita0 on 10/18/14 at 11:15 pm

How many songs can it hold?

Depends on what quality you encode your music in. Assuming you go 128kbps and 4 minutes per song:

500 on a 2GB shuffle.

3500 on a 16GB nano.

40000 on an old 160GB classic.

Check for new replies or respond here...