inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think tv has gotten better since the late 00s??

Written By: sonic2005 on 10/05/14 at 12:27 am

TV in the late 2000s just plain sucked (in my opinion) it think it has improved somewhat since then do you agree or nah??

Subject: Re: Do you think tv has gotten better since the late 00s??

Written By: 80sfan on 10/05/14 at 2:13 am

TV is probably what's saving me from feeling depressed about current mainstream culture. I think the writing has gotten a lot better!

Obviously I'm not talking about reality TV.  ;D

Written By: Jquar on 10/05/14 at 2:21 am

TV is probably what's saving me from feeling depressed about current mainstream culture. I think the writing has gotten a lot better!

Obviously I'm not talking about reality TV.  ;D

Yeah, I feel much better about the current state of television than I do about movies/music. It used to be that I preferred the latter two as forms of expression, not so much now.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/05/14 at 2:32 am

Yeah, I feel much better about the current state of television than I do about movies/music. It used to be that I preferred the latter two as forms of expression, not so much now.

You might not like these TV shows, but the writing is really good.

American Horror Story
Scandal
The Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Grey's Anatomy

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/05/14 at 2:50 am

There might be some TV series which are still very good, but the German TV went downhill since 2000 and today it's extremely superficial. It feels like reality shows are dominating. I hate linear TV and I have only one or two shows I still watch. That's it. I don't need a regular TV anymore because I watch most stuff on-line.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/14 at 1:32 pm

TV in the late 2000s just plain sucked (in my opinion) it think it has improved somewhat since then do you agree or nah??

not many good shows like there used to be in the mid 80's.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/14 at 1:33 pm

American Horror Story
Scandal
The Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Grey's Anatomy

I do watch Big Bang Theory.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/14 at 1:35 pm

I don't need a regular TV anymore because I watch most stuff on-line.

I watch TV and I do watch some shows on-line so I do a little bit of both.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/05/14 at 2:04 pm

American Horror Story
Scandal
The Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Grey's Anatomy

I like Breaking Bad and Walking Dead, but I'm not really used to the style they are filmed in. There's something a bit odd about it. Maybe I'm getting old and grumpy before my time. :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/05/14 at 5:16 pm

Breaking Bad is the best TV series from the late 00s-mid 10s. I really like the "strange" style ;)

Written By: tv on 10/06/14 at 1:20 am

To me its the same as it was in 2009 maybe a little better. 2000-mid 2005 was probably the worst era of TV in my lifetime when reality TV was new. People just making fool of themselves and getting fame for it. I know there was stuff like Kate +8 in the late 2000's as well as Danielle Staub from "Housewives Of New Jersey" ( I just remembered her today) by just flipping through some channels. Kate +8 would get on my nerves but at least they flamed out of popularity! Never understood the big deal about Danielle Stuab.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 7:18 am

I think Netflix has really been a boon for good TV. It takes out the middleman so to speak. Bojack Horseman is pretty interesting I gotta say.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 10/06/14 at 10:48 am

To me its the same as it was in 2009 maybe a little better. 2000-mid 2005 was probably the worst era of TV in my lifetime when reality TV was new. People just making fool of themselves and getting fame for it. I know there was stuff like Kate +8 in the late 2000's as well as Danielle Staub from "Housewives Of New Jersey" ( I just remembered her today) by just flipping through some channels. Kate +8 would get on my nerves but at least they flamed out of popularity! Never understood the big deal about Danielle Stuab.

I think reality TV is bigger now than in the early-mid 00s. In the early-mid 00s, you could change the channel and avoid it. Now it's on every channel. Reality TV stars regularly make the news.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 10:59 am

I think reality TV is bigger now than in the early-mid 00s. In the early-mid 00s, you could change the channel and avoid it. Now it's on every channel. Reality TV stars regularly make the news.

I agree sadly. Though with Netflix Youtube etc you don't even need cable anymore which is good.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/14 at 1:26 pm

I think Netflix has really been a boon for good TV. It takes out the middleman so to speak. Bojack Horseman is pretty interesting I gotta say.

There also Roku and Hulu.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/14 at 1:27 pm

and some people are addicted to it.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/14 at 1:28 pm

I agree sadly. Though with Netflix Youtube etc you don't even need cable anymore which is good.

and they say sometime in the near future you'll be able to watch YouTube from your TV.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 2:01 pm

and they say sometime in the near future you'll be able to watch YouTube from your TV.

Lol, you already can. I was doing that like yesterday.

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/14 at 2:14 pm

American Horror Story
Scandal
The Big Bang Theory
The Walking Dead
Breaking Bad
Grey's Anatomy

I can't believe you included Greys with these great shows...

plus you forgot

Game of Thrones
Ray Donovan
House of Cards
House of Lies
Orange is the New Black
Homeland

and my new favorite ORPHAN BLACK!

Written By: Howard on 10/06/14 at 2:15 pm

Lol, you already can. I was doing that like yesterday.

How was it?

Written By: snozberries on 10/06/14 at 2:16 pm

Smart TVs have a wifi connection howard so you can watch youtube on them now....

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 2:47 pm

How was it?

Pretty cool. Feels just like watching regular TV.  :)

Written By: Slim95 on 10/07/14 at 1:36 pm

lol You mean for the last 5 years?  :P

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/07/14 at 1:39 pm

;D

You really need to get a new TV or check out the electronic stores ;)

Written By: Howard on 10/07/14 at 1:56 pm

lol You mean for the last 5 years?  :P

Yes I mean the last 5 years.

Written By: Howard on 10/07/14 at 1:56 pm

;D

You really need to get a new TV or check out the electronic stores ;)

I think I have a bad memory.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/07/14 at 2:18 pm

I can't believe you included Greys with these great shows...

plus you forgot

Game of Thrones
Ray Donovan
House of Cards
House of Lies
Orange is the New Black
Homeland

and my new favorite ORPHAN BLACK!

I like watching the characters suffer and cry. :-X

Written By: 80sfan on 10/07/14 at 2:34 pm

There also Roku and Hulu.

Roku. I have that!  :)

Written By: 80sfan on 10/07/14 at 2:34 pm

I do watch Big Bang Theory.

Cool!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 10/07/14 at 2:38 pm

Justified: The best show you've never heard of.

Written By: snozberries on 10/08/14 at 12:35 am

Justified: The best show you've never heard of.

thanks to you I'm a fan

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/14 at 1:30 am

Downhill thanks to reality tv!

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/08/14 at 1:46 am

Downhill thanks to reality tv!

Most of it's garbage.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/08/14 at 2:14 am

Most of it's garbage.
All of it is garbage.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/08/14 at 3:08 am

All of it is garbage.

No, there are still some things I watch.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/14 at 6:54 am

Cool!

My favorite character is Sheldon Cooper.
http://static.tumblr.com/c113d01a158794b10e90edc31fd1970a/aqbhuu2/v9Bmq5ms7/tumblr_static_sheldon_cooper_by_parkerjademerce-d3fra09.png

Written By: Howard on 10/08/14 at 6:55 am

Most of it's garbage.

I know, producers can't come up with anything original. ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/08/14 at 6:56 am

No, there are still some things I watch.

same here.

Written By: snozberries on 10/08/14 at 11:19 am

sounds like you guys need to explore some more TV...there are some really great shows out there....

I REALLY CAN'T RECOMMEND ORPHAN BLACK HIGHLY ENOUGH!!!! 

I Justified is the best show you've never heard of...Orphan Black is the best show you are not watching....

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/08/14 at 5:18 pm

My favorite character is Sheldon Cooper.
http://static.tumblr.com/c113d01a158794b10e90edc31fd1970a/aqbhuu2/v9Bmq5ms7/tumblr_static_sheldon_cooper_by_parkerjademerce-d3fra09.png

Omg he's hilarious!

I know, producers can't come up with anything original. ::)

Well when it's multiple shows about fixing up cars, multiple shows about the living in the wilderness, multiple shows about rednecks...I'd say so.

sounds like you guys need to explore some more TV...there are some really great shows out there....

I REALLY CAN'T RECOMMEND ORPHAN BLACK HIGHLY ENOUGH!!!! 

I Justified is the best show you've never heard of...Orphan Black is the best show you are not watching....

I did watch Grimm for a little while then lost interest, but it was good. I liked Two Broke Girls when it came on, and would watch now and then. Investigation Discovery is always good, I can binge watch that easily. What is Orphan Black?

Written By: Vance Jacobsen on 10/08/14 at 9:51 pm

The only shows I've looked at are House of Cards and Scandal but other than that I don't watch TV too often. 

Written By: Howard on 10/09/14 at 3:04 pm

Well when it's multiple shows about fixing up cars, multiple shows about the living in the wilderness, multiple shows about rednecks...I'd say so.

and also multiple pawn shows. ::)

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/09/14 at 7:19 pm

and also multiple pawn shows. ::)

Those too, and storage lockers. I don't mind the original shows, but all the copies are unnecessary.

Written By: Howard on 10/10/14 at 1:55 pm

Those too, and storage lockers. I don't mind the original shows, but all the copies are unnecessary.

and don't forget Hoarders.

Written By: tv on 10/11/14 at 5:01 pm

Maybe I'm just older now that the Reality TV doesn't bother me as much as it did 10-15 years ago. I don't know. Plus I don't follow pop culture as much as I used to.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/14 at 5:54 pm

Maybe I'm just older now that the Reality TV doesn't bother me as much as it did 10-15 years ago. I don't know. Plus I don't follow pop culture as much as I used to.

I watch reality TV but it just gets to the point now where there's too much of it and you don't even know what or which show to watch anymore.

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/14 at 6:20 pm

I really think it depends on the reality tv show.....

competition reality shows are great!  I don't watch them all but I watch enough of them to help keep them on the air.

The reality shows where people are doing something positive (HGTV decorating and house hunting etc) can be entertaining if that's your thing...depending on the show host it is my thing.

The shows where people are solely looking for attention (HOUSEWIVES, KHARDASIANS, LOOKING FOR LOVE WITH ALL THE WRONG PEOPLE).... I hate those shows!

Written By: tv on 10/11/14 at 6:56 pm

I watch reality TV but it just gets to the point now where there's too much of it and you don't even know what or which show to watch anymore.
To maybe expand on my last post I don't think reality TV gets as much attention as it did from 2000-mid 2005 when it was on network TV(non-cable TV) and its just on cable channels now. Cable TV doesn't get the ratings that network TV does so therefore less people are watching reality TV than 10-15 years ago. Reality TV shows that air exclusively on cable are cheap to make as opposed to making a show with paid actors from Hollywood and hiring "A" level TV producers.

Written By: snozberries on 10/11/14 at 8:18 pm

To maybe expand on my last post I don't think reality TV gets as much attention as it did from 2000-mid 2005 when it was on network TV(non-cable TV) and its just on cable channels now. Cable TV doesn't get the ratings that network TV does so therefore less people are watching reality TV than 10-15 years ago. Reality TV shows that air exclusively on cable are cheap to make as opposed to making a show with paid actors from Hollywood and hiring "A" level TV producers.

I disagree.  People still watch and talk about the stupid housewives and the even dumber Khardashians. These shows are wildly popular (for some inexplicable reason). 

I don't know if the dating shows are still popular as they were... you know the Tequila/RayJ/Rock or Love/whatever other walking STD contestants are out there.... but I do know that there is an equally lame show (Naked Dating) that seems to get a lot of buzz. I have never seen it but I always hear people talking about it!  ::)

Point is the shows are out there and they are getting dumber season to season... seems each one needs to be more outlandish than the last one!

As for Networks not doing reality shows... they still do them. ABC still has the bachelor/ette.... CBS still has Big Brother.... and with American Idol still limping along, The Voice being as popular as it ever was, Dancing with the stars killing the ratings and all the competition shows (survivor, amazing race, hells kitchen, and whatever else there is...) The number of reality shows on tv is still quite high.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/11/14 at 11:54 pm

I disagree.  People still watch and talk about the stupid housewives and the even dumber Khardashians. These shows are wildly popular (for some inexplicable reason). 

I don't know if the dating shows are still popular as they were... you know the Tequila/RayJ/Rock or Love/whatever other walking STD contestants are out there.... but I do know that there is an equally lame show (Naked Dating) that seems to get a lot of buzz. I have never seen it but I always hear people talking about it!  ::)

Point is the shows are out there and they are getting dumber season to season... seems each one needs to be more outlandish than the last one!

As for Networks not doing reality shows... they still do them. ABC still has the bachelor/ette.... CBS still has Big Brother.... and with American Idol still limping along, The Voice being as popular as it ever was, Dancing with the stars killing the ratings and all the competition shows (survivor, amazing race, hells kitchen, and whatever else there is...) The number of reality shows on tv is still quite high.

I hate to say it but I agree with you, it seems like reality is bigger than ever. I think the thing is back in the early 00s reality was still a novelty (even though it's in fact existed since the 1940s and Candid Camera, a fact few people realise) so it seemed like more of a phenomenon then, but actually reality is much bigger now. Every network has a ton of it it seems to the point that fictional scripted shows seem to be the real novelty these days.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/12/14 at 4:29 am

In the early-mid 00s, you could change the channel and avoid it. Now it's on every channel.

Nowadays you can avoid it even better by not watching TV :)
I absolutely lost interest in watching regular TV during this year and I prefer to watch the stuff I like on-line.

Written By: snozberries on 10/12/14 at 12:01 pm

I hate to say it but I agree with you, it seems like reality is bigger than ever. I think the thing is back in the early 00s reality was still a novelty (even though it's in fact existed since the 1940s and Candid Camera, a fact few people realise) so it seemed like more of a phenomenon then, but actually reality is much bigger now. Every network has a ton of it it seems to the point that fictional scripted shows seem to be the real novelty these days.

Exactly Candid Camera, Kids Say the Darndest Things, Real People.....these were all precursors to America's Funniest Videos

An American Family (classified as a documentary) was a precursor to every series that ever follows the lives of a family kike the Duggars and the Honey Boo Boo clan (or celebrities like the Osbournes, Nick and Jessica, those crappy Khardasians(

The difference is  back in the day the reactions were more likely real....where as now the idea is to be soooo over the top that people will feel "compelled" to watch...and most reality now a days is scripted.  The subjects don't have dialogue to memorize but they do have scenes set up for them to react to....  Nothing made this more clear to me than when I read a casting notice.... it said 20somethings needed to fill a bar scene in LA...they were casting for Jersey Shore...  ::)

Written By: Howard on 10/12/14 at 2:14 pm

The shows where people are solely looking for attention (HOUSEWIVES, KHARDASIANS, LOOKING FOR LOVE WITH ALL THE WRONG PEOPLE).... I hate those shows!

I know I hate those shows too.

Written By: Howard on 10/12/14 at 2:16 pm

Maybe they're running out of ideas?  ???

Written By: Howard on 10/12/14 at 2:22 pm

Exactly Candid Camera, Kids Say the Darndest Things, Real People.....these were all precursors to America's Funniest Videos

I used to watch most of them growing up including Real People.

Written By: tv on 10/12/14 at 3:18 pm

I don't know of anybody that talks about "The Kardashians" or "The Housewives" shows. No doubt those shows they have their viewers though(somewhere.)

As for The Dating Shows "Rock Of Love", and "For The Love of Ray J" were cancelled or ended in 2009. Tila Tequila(I think that is who you are referring too) I haven't heard about her in years. Last I heard about her she had a kid.

I know about Naked Dating and I agree people have been talking about it.

Lets see the reality shows you mentioned in prime time per total viewership for the 2013-2014 season

#5 Dancing With The Stars(yeah its pretty popular your right.)
#7 The Voice
#9 The Voice-Tuesday(Your correct its still pretty popular 2 days a week at that!)
#17 American Idol-Wednesday
#22 American Idol-Thursday(Yeah its hanging on alright.)
#25 Survivor
#32 The Bachelor
#34 Amazing Race
#57 The Bachelorette
#80 Hell's Kitchen

I couldn't find the numbers for "Big Brother"

Top 10 shows in viewership for 2013-2014 season:

1.) Sunday Night Football
2.) The Big Bang Theory
3.) NCIS
4.) NCIS: Los Angeles
5.) Dancing With the Stars
6.) Blacklist
7.) The Voice
8.) Person Of Interest
9.) The Voice-Tuesday
10.) Blue Bloods

Note: American Idol wether it be on "Tuesday", "Results", or "Competition" editions was #1 in Nielsen Ratings from the 2003-2004 season to the 2010-2011 season. "Survivor-The Australian Outback" was #1 in Nielsen Ratings for the 2000-2001 season.

"Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" was #1 in Nielsen Ratings in the 1999-2000 season but do you count that as a Reality TV show or just a game show?

Written By: snozberries on 10/12/14 at 10:28 pm

I don't know of anybody that talks about "The Kardashians" or "The Housewives" shows. No doubt those shows they have their viewers though(somewhere.)

As for The Dating Shows "Rock Of Love", and "For The Love of Ray J" were cancelled or ended in 2009. Tila Tequila(I think that is who you are referring too) I haven't heard about her in years. Last I heard about her she had a kid.

I know about Naked Dating and I agree people have been talking about it.

Lets see the reality shows you mentioned in prime time per total viewership for the 2013-2014 season

#5 Dancing With The Stars(yeah its pretty popular your right.)
#7 The Voice
#9 The Voice-Tuesday(Your correct its still pretty popular 2 days a week at that!)
#17 American Idol-Wednesday
#22 American Idol-Thursday(Yeah its hanging on alright.)
#25 Survivor
#32 The Bachelor
#34 Amazing Race
#57 The Bachelorette
#80 Hell's Kitchen

I couldn't find the numbers for "Big Brother"

Top 10 shows in viewership for 2013-2014 season:

1.) Sunday Night Football
2.) The Big Bang Theory
3.) NCIS
4.) NCIS: Los Angeles
5.) Dancing With the Stars
6.) Blacklist
7.) The Voice
8.) Person Of Interest
9.) The Voice-Tuesday
10.) Blue Bloods

Note: American Idol wether it be on "Tuesday", "Results", or "Competition" editions was #1 in Nielsen Ratings from the 2003-2004 season to the 2010-2011 season. "Survivor-The Australian Outback" was #1 in Nielsen Ratings for the 2000-2001 season.

"Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" was #1 in Nielsen Ratings in the 1999-2000 season but do you count that as a Reality TV show or just a game show?

I was just using Rock of love etc as example of dating shows since aside from Naked Dating I have no idea what dating shows are out there..... but I was well aware that they'd been cancelled.

As for ratings I don't bother with them since they don't account for DVR viewership. 

I know plenty of people who watch Housewives... and I judge them all silently... some of them I judge openly 

Written By: Howard on 10/13/14 at 2:17 pm

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire was a game show.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/16/14 at 4:17 am

Who Wants To Be A Millionaire was a game show.
In the UK, funding for WWTBAM has run out, and no future progams will be made.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/14 at 2:43 pm

Maybe we'll have to wait till the end of the year to find out.

Written By: Louise1978 on 10/17/14 at 1:12 am

I think at the moment there is alot of good scripted tv shows.Unfortunately,there is still too much reality tv crap

Written By: Howard on 10/17/14 at 8:24 am

I think at the moment there is alot of good scripted tv shows.Unfortunately,there is still too much reality tv crap

I agree, way too many Reality TV Shows out these days.

Check for new replies or respond here...