inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Why was the 00s identity not as obvious to non adolescents?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/22/14 at 11:54 am

I'm trying to get it but it was very obvious to anyone who was a teenager during the decade or even an older child or someone in their early 20s. Was it that they were consumed by news events and just didn't pay attention? They seem to get the 2010s identity.

Subject: Re: Why was the 00s identity not as obvious to non adolescents?

Written By: Inertia on 11/22/14 at 6:16 pm

I'm trying to get it but it was very obvious to anyone who was a teenager during the decade or even an older child or someone in their early 20s. Was it that they were consumed by news events and just didn't pay attention? They seem to get the 2010s identity.

I don't understand what you are asking. Sorry.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/16/15 at 10:56 pm

I truly do think that it's because the 00s were pretty damn weak in terms of a proper identity.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/18/15 at 2:02 am

The 00's had an identity and all kinds of fads that went with it the same as any other decade. Older people weren't the targets for that decade's pop culture either. Plus alot of Millenials, at least the 80's born bunch had Baby Boomer parents and there was maybe a bigger generation gap in families?

Written By: JohnMarston on 02/18/15 at 1:30 pm

I think that the 2008 global financial crisis/economic recession/f*ck up really concluded the decade quite badly and left most bitter, depressed and dismal. People just refer to the 2000s as "oh 7, 8, 9 years ago". The 90s today is referred to like the new 80s (a decade that was idolised in the 2000s), just wait until 2020 when every body's nostalgia peaks and denim, turtle necks, mini skirts, Burberry, berets and greasy hair make a comeback. Britney Spears may even have another breakdown, and this time it's a midlife crisis.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/18/15 at 2:13 pm

I think that the 2008 global financial crisis/economic recession/f*ck up really concluded the decade quite badly and left most bitter, depressed and dismal. People just refer to the 2000s as "oh 7, 8, 9 years ago". The 90s today is referred to like the new 80s (a decade that was idolised in the 2000s), just wait until 2020 when every body's nostalgia peaks and denim, turtle necks, mini skirts, Burberry, berets and greasy hair make a comeback. Britney Spears may even have another breakdown, and this time it's a midlife crisis.

Turtlenecks are already back in style, they became cool again last year. Miniskirts are becoming fashionable again this spring, for the first time in like, 14.5/15 years. I see miniskirts as more of a mid-late '90s thing than a '00s thing.

Written By: Howard on 02/18/15 at 2:30 pm

just wait until 2020 when every body's nostalgia peaks and denim, turtle necks, mini skirts, Burberry, berets and greasy hair make a comeback.

Are you sure about this?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/18/15 at 3:27 pm

Agreed the 2000s era was quite short lived! It ended on a VERY sour and bad note!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/18/15 at 3:35 pm

The 00's had an identity and all kinds of fads that went with it the same as any other decade. Older people weren't the targets for that decade's pop culture either. Plus alot of Millenials, at least the 80's born bunch had Baby Boomer parents and there was maybe a bigger generation gap in families?

I understand what your sayin, but I just feel the 10s have a MUCH stronger identity than the 00s though.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/18/15 at 3:58 pm

I have said this many times, but its because the transition from '90s to '00s was very gradual compared to other decade transitions.  That is especially true if you were too old in '98 and '99 for the teen pop craze.  Several staples of 1990s television such as Friends and Frasier lasted almost halfway through the '00s.  Technology for the most part was simply evolved forms of mid-90s trends until 2007 when the iPhone came out.  Teen fashion was very different in the 90s compared to the '00s but I am not sure adult fashion really was.

The '00s had an identity but it was shortlived and primarily existed from second half of 2006 through the first half of 2008. 

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/18/15 at 4:33 pm

I have said this many times, but its because the transition from '90s to '00s was very gradual compared to other decade transitions.  That is especially true if you were too old in '98 and '99 for the teen pop craze.  Several staples of 1990s television such as Friends and Frasier lasted almost halfway through the '00s.  Technology for the most part was simply evolved forms of mid-90s trends until 2007 when the iPhone came out.  Teen fashion was very different in the 90s compared to the '00s but I am not sure adult fashion really was.

The '00s had an identity but it was shortlived and primarily existed from second half of 2006 through the first half of 2008.

Ehh.... Those years you talked about(late 2006-mid 2008) I always saw as 2000s culture but more evolved. With the Seventh generation of gaming, Blu Rays, Facebook and YouTube becoming really popular new tv series like Dexter,Heroes, Mad Men, 30 Rock. Movie were starting to look brand new with 300, The Dark Knight, No Country for old Men. Late 2006-mid 2008 were actually the first signs of 2010s influence.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/18/15 at 7:20 pm

Agreed the 2000s era was quite short lived! It ended on a VERY sour and bad note!

Maybe where you were. Here in Toronto it lasted for an eternity and not even the recession, which began between Q4 2008-2009 did it in.

Written By: winteriscoming on 02/19/15 at 12:01 am

I think it's because nobody knows how to pronounce that decade.  ;D I think people acknowledge that movies like Napoleon Dynamite, Little Miss Sunshine and Amelie are kinda old now though.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/19/15 at 7:14 am

I understand what your sayin, but I just feel the 10s have a MUCH stronger identity than the 00s though.

How though? The 2000's had an identity. It was the Bush years, the beginning of two wars, the economy going to pot. Gaming systems evolved from PS2 and original Xbox to Xbox360 and PS3. The internet was a common household thing. It was the beginning of total digital television. Fashion was very teen oriented. From lace up jeans to velour track suits to Crocks and Uggs worn year round. Energy drinks were popularized to being something teens bought and not just for gym rats and athletes. Phones evolved from thick Nokias to slider phones and Blackberries. It was the era teen pop peaked and faded, then became all about the rap. The weirdest reality shows premiered and cancelled early on. I really don't know how you can say those years didn't have much of an identity.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/19/15 at 8:21 am

I think the 2000s identity was the entire Bush years. 2001–2008 is probably the time period that future generations will think of when they hear "The 2000s".

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/19/15 at 10:00 am

How though? The 2000's had an identity. It was the Bush years, the beginning of two wars, the economy going to pot. Gaming systems evolved from PS2 and original Xbox to Xbox360 and PS3. The internet was a common household thing. It was the beginning of total digital television. Fashion was very teen oriented. From lace up jeans to velour track suits to Crocks and Uggs worn year round. Energy drinks were popularized to being something teens bought and not just for gym rats and athletes. Phones evolved from thick Nokias to slider phones and Blackberries. It was the era teen pop peaked and faded, then became all about the rap. The weirdest reality shows premiered and cancelled early on. I really don't know how you can say those years didn't have much of an identity.

I know what those years were about obviously. I think what I MEANT to say was that to people who were young children back then(late 90s born) the identity may not seem as strong to them.  The 10s identity is probably strong to them. I did NOT mean to say myself. I SHOULD have said I feel that to younger people the 10s identity will be stronger in the future years.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/19/15 at 10:02 am

I think the 2000s identity was the entire Bush years. 2001–2008 is probably the time period that future generations will think of when they hear "The 2000s".

Agreed!! :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/15 at 4:48 am

Blame it on the Bush?

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/27/15 at 10:16 am

Blame it on the Bush?

No, I don't blame it on him. I don't really have anything against him, I'm just saying that Bush's presidency will be seen as "The 2000s".

Check for new replies or respond here...