inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you consider shows/movies/music from 2005-2007 Old school??

Written By: sonic2005 on 12/06/14 at 9:19 am

do you think pop culture from these three years can be considered old school at this point???

Subject: Re: Do you consider shows/movies/music from 2005-2007 Old school??

Written By: amjikloviet on 12/06/14 at 9:47 am

I consider anything from a previous decade to be old school, lol. The way I see it, if it's not current...it's old school!

Written By: Howard on 12/06/14 at 5:53 pm

No I don't think so.

Written By: tv on 12/06/14 at 6:01 pm

The first half of 2005 probably kinda dated now.

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/06/14 at 8:11 pm

No. The 90's shows yes, but we're not far enough into this decade for 2000's TV to feel that old.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/06/14 at 8:52 pm

do you think pop culture from these three years can be considered old school at this point???
Firstly what is the definition of 'old school'?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/06/14 at 10:57 pm

Yes I would say so. Not "retro" but definitely old school no doubt.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/07/14 at 6:31 am

"Old school"?

Maybe TV shows from before 1997/98. Most of the 2000s looks still pretty recent to me - 2000-2005 is dated, no doubt, but not old school. 2009-14 is recent.

In terms of music, I think that 1995 and earlier would be old school.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/14 at 2:22 pm

No. The 90's shows yes, but we're not far enough into this decade for 2000's TV to feel that old.

I would say to give it another 5 more years.

Written By: Howard on 12/07/14 at 2:24 pm

Firstly what is the definition of 'old school'?

In slang, "old school" or "old skool" can refer to anything that is from an earlier era or anything that may be considered "old-fashioned". The term is commonly used to suggest a high regard for something that has been shown to have lasting value or quality.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/07/14 at 5:43 pm

In slang, "old school" or "old skool" can refer to anything that is from an earlier era or anything that may be considered "old-fashioned". The term is commonly used to suggest a high regard for something that has been shown to have lasting value or quality.
I do not consider Alfred Hitchcock's " Psycho" to be old fashion and that was released in 1960!

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/07/14 at 6:22 pm

I don't know about old school, but actually yes definitely dated. I was watching this show called Summer Heights High from 2007 and I could tell right away it wasn't from this decade. The fashion and the picture quality gave away that it was at least 5 years old. It didn't look extremely dated either though, just slightly and enough you could tell it wasn't made yesterday.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/08/14 at 7:26 am

Everything always passes through this "dated" phase before SOME of it becomes old school. That said, by 2005-07, most quality stuff was produced in HD or in a 5.1 sound, and thus still feels contemporary in a production sense. That said, some movies were still using traditional film while those feel more dated than the ones that had started to use digital film, likely are of a lower quality. Generally, I draw the "old school" line at around 15 years, and this currently lines up with the end of the '90s. However, at cultural divides, there is often a lag for a few years before it can leapfrog into another era, as "turn of the 21st century" nostalgia won't happen for at least a few more years. The current US president entered office in the same decade that Bill Clinton was finishing his presedency, and anything post 9/11 still feels new school as there hasn't been a real paradigm shift since. I doubt too many people are nostalgic for Motorola Razr phones, Soulja Boy, Beyonce's solo peak, Paris Hilton, Ringtone Rap, Emo music, Myspace, Guitar Hero, and the Jonas Brothers just yet as the people who grew up on this grew to understand how lame and crappy much of this stuff really was (I hated most of this stuff when I was current!)

Written By: Howard on 12/08/14 at 2:32 pm

I do not consider Alfred Hitchcock's " Psycho" to be old fashion and that was released in 1960!

I think that would be considered "retro".

Written By: Howard on 12/08/14 at 2:33 pm

I think in another 2 more years maybe it will.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/09/14 at 11:26 am

In terms of music, I think that 1995 and earlier would be old school.

Yeah, my personal guidelines have always been that 20 years is about the limit that something much reach before I consider it "old school" or "retro". It's obviously a completely arbitrary distinction, but it just feels weird to describe anything within the last two decades as "retro", especially since the '00s still seem so recent.

That being said, there's no doubt that shows from the mid '00s are starting to feel "dated". I mean, all you need to do is watch a sitcom where the home computer is mostly background scenery, cell phones are only used for phone calls and texting, and Facebook, Twitter or YouTube are never mentioned to notice that.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/14 at 2:20 pm

I mean, all you need to do is watch a sitcom where the home computer is mostly background scenery, cell phones are only used for phone calls and texting, and Facebook, Twitter or YouTube are never mentioned to notice that.

I do hear about Facebook, Twitter and YouTube on episodes of The Big Bang Theory.

Check for new replies or respond here...