inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What things about the '00s seem old fashioned or will soon?

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/07/14 at 6:18 pm

The illegality of weed and gay marriage will definitely seem strange to Westerners being born now, I'd also say the fact that most computers were desktops or laptops rather than phones. And that fact that most people still used maps (or at least Mapquest  ;D ) to navigate for a road trip.

Subject: Re: What things about the '00s seem old fashioned or will soon?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 12/07/14 at 6:46 pm

Dial-up/Broadband, VHS/DVDs, Snap/Ringtone rap, baggy clothing, 2000s slang, the 6th generation of gaming (PS2/GC/Xbox/DC), AOL/MySpace, flip phones, Emo/Scene, and SD resolution. 

Written By: KatanaChick on 12/08/14 at 7:00 am

Flip phones, taping shows for later, email/IM instead of text.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/08/14 at 7:48 am

Email I'd say is here to stay just like traditional mail when it first started as it is alive an well on the latest mobile devices.

I'd say compact flip phones of that decade are the most dated thing to have as of today. I'd also add Game Boy Advance to the list of old fashioned items. Apple a couple months ago removed the iPod on its webpage as given newer mobile devices, having a portable electronic device that only plays music is already quite primitive. I also don't hear much about PDAs anymore. And VHS's were already old fashioned during the '00s itself.

Like any decade, certain celebrities who were popular in the '00s that aren't as big today include 50 Cent, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Scarlett Johansson, Kanye West, and Tori Spelling will get some weird looks among the bros.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/08/14 at 2:14 pm

Dial-up/Broadband, VHS/DVDs ..., AOL..., SD resolution.

That's actually not typical 00s. It's rather 80-90s technology.

But I basically agree: Especially those (late) 90s holdovers let the first half of the 00s seem 'old fashioned'.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/14 at 2:29 pm

Email I'd say is here to stay just like traditional mail when it first started as it is alive an well on the latest mobile devices.

E-mail will never be old fashioned, I think it's here to stay, I use it every day.

Written By: Howard on 12/08/14 at 2:31 pm

The PS2, The PS3 and the Wii.

Written By: nally on 12/08/14 at 4:49 pm

The illegality of weed and gay marriage will definitely seem strange to Westerners being born now, I'd also say the fact that most computers were desktops or laptops rather than phones. And that fact that most people still used maps (or at least Mapquest  ;D ) to navigate for a road trip.

Yeah, you don't see too many printed maps out these days. People like to use internet maps. But for me, the printed (paper) map will never be obsolete.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 12/08/14 at 5:38 pm

I'd say compact flip phones of that decade are the most dated thing to have as of today. I'd also add Game Boy Advance to the list of old fashioned items. Apple a couple months ago removed the iPod on its webpage as given newer mobile devices, having a portable electronic device that only plays music is already quite primitive. I also don't hear much about PDAs anymore. And VHS's were already old fashioned during the '00s itself.

Like any decade, certain celebrities who were popular in the '00s that aren't as big today include 50 Cent, Paris Hilton, Britney Spears, Scarlett Johansson, Kanye West, and Tori Spelling will get some weird looks among the bros.

Scarlett Johansson is actually kind of bigger now.

Written By: Howard on 12/09/14 at 2:25 pm

Yeah, you don't see too many printed maps out these days. People like to use internet maps. But for me, the printed (paper) map will never be obsolete.

I like internet maps.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 12/10/14 at 4:52 pm

She was also in"Chef" too!

Plus, the Iron Man and Avengers movies

Written By: bchris02 on 12/22/14 at 3:01 pm

For most Americans, weed is still illegal and in many states probably won't be legalized for several more decades.

Written By: nostalgicguy on 12/22/14 at 9:34 pm

MySpace and AIM

Written By: nostalgicguy on 12/22/14 at 9:35 pm

For most Americans, weed is still illegal and in many states probably won't be legalized for several more decades.
true but in 2016 other states will most likely vote on weed legalization such as California.

Written By: Howard on 12/23/14 at 3:14 pm

MySpace and AIM

I haven't seen anybody use AIM in years, many of them use Skype and Facetime.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 12/23/14 at 5:41 pm

Alot of the over the top anti-Bush anger looks pretty dated now.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/23/14 at 6:57 pm

CD's, DVD's, MSN, MySpace, Flash Drives, Flip Phones, CRT's to name a few.

Written By: popguru85 on 12/24/14 at 12:16 am

Myspace, AIM, DVD's, Flip Phones/Razor Phones, Blackberry, Floppy Disks, USB Thumb Drives, PS2/Xbox/Gamecube, Crunk, Emo and emo fashions, pop punk like Good Charlotte, AFI, All American Rejects, Fallout Boy, Low Rise Jeans, Lance Armstrong Wristbands, Snuggie, Shamwow, Pimped out Cars.,

Written By: Howard on 12/24/14 at 2:47 pm

and before you know it CD's and DVD's will sell for cheap and MySpace is so outdated that now everyone does Facebook and talks on Skype.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/28/14 at 12:35 am

I have a feeling Avatar will be seen as old fashioned soon because it was all about the technology and special effects in it during its time of release and the effects really aren't anything special anymore. :P

Written By: bchris02 on 01/17/15 at 1:45 pm

One thing I notice when watching older videos from the 2000s is how dated the fonts look.  Back then everything didn't have the flat look that is trendy today.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/17/15 at 3:05 pm

There's this movie on my TV right now called Saved! From 2004. A lot of things look so dated, I at first thought it was from 1999. From the hair styles to the cars, landlines, CRT TVs, clothes(seriously, checkout the trailer). Trends seem to get dated quickly

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/17/15 at 5:52 pm

How is a USB outdated? Every computer comes with one, flash drives are what alot of people store files on. Disks are outdated.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/15 at 6:09 pm

How is a USB outdated? Every computer comes with one, flash drives are what alot of people store files on. Disks are outdated.

USBs will never be outdated.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/15 at 6:10 pm

Flash drives have been outdated for 3 years now....  The cloud has replaced flash drives so they are definitely dated... People use Dropbox for storage now and I use Google Drive. Everything is done online now through the cloud. Flash drives  really describe the 2000s and are dated today.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/15 at 6:11 pm

USBs will never be outdated.

That's not true. There's an end to everything.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/17/15 at 6:16 pm

Flash drives have been outdated for 3 years now....  The cloud has replaced flash drives so they are definitely dated... People use Dropbox for storage now and I use Google Drive. Everything is done online niw through the cloud. Flaah drives  really describe the 2000s and are dated today.

What do you physically save it on though so it's there incase something goes wrong with your computer? Or to transfer those files say you want pictures printed at a photo lab in a store?

Written By: nally on 01/17/15 at 6:44 pm

Flash drives have been outdated for 3 years now....  The cloud has replaced flash drives so they are definitely dated... People use Dropbox for storage now and I use Google Drive. Everything is done online niw through the cloud. Flaah drives  really describe the 2000s and are dated today.

What do you physically save it on though so it's there incase something goes wrong with your computer? Or to transfer those files say you want pictures printed at a photo lab in a store?

Good point. I've been using flash disks for a lotta years now, as I find them handy and convenient to store stuff (especially large files, and lots of files in general). So I don't think I'll ever stop using one.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/17/15 at 6:51 pm

Good point. I've been using flash disks for a lotta years now, as I find them handy and convenient to store stuff (especially large files, and lots of files in general). So I don't think I'll ever stop using one.

I have to have physical backup for media, it's not outdated in my book. Just not the latest method.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/17/15 at 7:20 pm

That's actually not typical 00s. It's rather 80-90s technology.

But I basically agree: Especially those (late) 90s holdovers let the first half of the 00s seem 'old fashioned'.

Yes they are actually. The vast majority of people were still on those duing the entire 00s. Dial-up alone was at 10% in the US by 2008 and most others around the world were stealing Wi-Fi, now its 2%.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/17/15 at 7:24 pm

Flash drives have been outdated for 3 years now....  The cloud has replaced flash drives so they are definitely dated... People use Dropbox for storage now and I use Google Drive. Everything is done online now through the cloud. Flash drives  really describe the 2000s and are dated today.

Many people are scared of the cloud. See the recent celeb hacks.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/17/15 at 7:46 pm

I only use Google Drive for writing assignments. I don't use it to hold all my media. You're holding all of your data onto someone else's hard drive. That's what a cloud is. That's why I don't use them. I prefer physical media. Digital can go corrupt and really ruin everything.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/17/15 at 8:11 pm

Many people are scared of the cloud. See the recent celeb hacks.

The perfect example!

Written By: nally on 01/18/15 at 11:09 am

I have to have physical backup for media, it's not outdated in my book. Just not the latest method.

I only use Google Drive for writing assignments. I don't use it to hold all my media. You're holding all of your data onto someone else's hard drive. That's what a cloud is. That's why I don't use them. I prefer physical media. Digital can go corrupt and really ruin everything.

I totally agree. My parents feel the same way about their files (they, too, use flash drives to store 'em).

Written By: Howard on 01/18/15 at 2:41 pm

I still use flash drive sticks to store my music.
http://www.image-tmart.com/images/C/C00853/16GB-USB-2.0-Flash-Memory-Stick-Jump-Drive-Fold-Pen-Blue-03.gif

Written By: Howard on 01/18/15 at 2:42 pm

That's not true. There's an end to everything.

But where are you going to put the plugs?

Written By: Howard on 01/18/15 at 2:43 pm

I use a USB port to store my music.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/15 at 2:44 pm

and with flash drive sticks you can store up to 2000 songs.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/18/15 at 8:16 pm

I still use flash drive sticks to store my music.
http://www.image-tmart.com/images/C/C00853/16GB-USB-2.0-Flash-Memory-Stick-Jump-Drive-Fold-Pen-Blue-03.gif

I have about five of them and can't find them all. One is just down to the circuit board inside because the outside broke apart, and still works! I don't put music on them all, but they're not organized either.

Written By: nally on 01/18/15 at 10:25 pm

and with flash drive sticks you can store up to 2000 songs.

Depends on how much memory the flash drive has. I know the latest models are being made with lots of gigabytes.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/19/15 at 3:39 am

Depends on how much memory the flash drive has. I know the latest models are being made with lots of gigabytes.

Mine are just 2g's and 4g's.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/19/15 at 4:24 am

I still use USB flash drives sometimes, especially if I know that it will cost me more effort to log on to my drop box or if I am not sure if I have internet access where I need the files. They are not obsolete, yet.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/15 at 3:03 pm

I have about five of them and can't find them all. One is just down to the circuit board inside because the outside broke apart, and still works! I don't put music on them all, but they're not organized either.

I have mine and I download wrestling themes for my wrestling game then I use the theme for my create a character.It's amazing with how many songs one stick can store up to.

Written By: Howard on 01/19/15 at 3:03 pm

Mine are just 2g's and 4g's.

I think mine is 8g's.

Check for new replies or respond here...