inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will people start saying "that's so 2000's"?

Written By: Slim95 on 12/27/14 at 12:14 am

I ask this because I watched a video from 2007 yesterday and someone said "that's so 90's" in it. I don't remember when the 90s started to seem old and cheesy and people started saying this but my guess is around 2005. Now that 2015 is coming, when do you think the 2000s will suffer the same fate? Will people start saying "that's so 2000s" in 2015-2017 or do you think the 2000s will never be seen as cheesy like the 90s did? I know people today say MySpace and Flip phones are old but nobody says "that's so 2000s."  :P

Subject: Re: When will people start saying "that's so 2000's"?

Written By: popguru85 on 12/27/14 at 10:45 pm

Probably in another few years (2018-2020's)

Written By: XYkid on 12/28/14 at 3:57 am

I already hear some people saying it, mostly hipsters.
I also remember people saying things were 'so 90s' as early as 2003.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 12/28/14 at 7:50 am

Probably when people see the era of Michael Cera and Fallout Boy, as the same era as Ja Rule and Jared from Subway. People refer to different parts of the 00's as outdated in their own ways, but nobody seems to view the whole decade as having any unifying characteristics.

Written By: Howard on 12/28/14 at 2:32 pm

Probably in another few years (2018-2020's)

I would think so too.

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/28/14 at 4:33 pm

Probably when people finally begin to realize its not the 2000s anymore. Seriously, some people think we're still in the 2000s.

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/28/14 at 4:41 pm

Probably when people see the era of Michael Cera and Fallout Boy, as the same era as Ja Rule and Jared from Subway. People refer to different parts of the 00's as outdated in their own ways, but nobody seems to view the whole decade as having any unifying characteristics.

The vibe of something like 500 Days of Summer or Nick and Norah does seem pretty dated now.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/06/15 at 3:44 pm

I got rickrolled not long ago and said "that's so 2006!"

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/06/15 at 8:49 pm

The good news is that if people are still using "the web" (post-1.0 but pre-social-networking-Web-2.0, we're maybe a Web-1.5 or something), we'll probably rank fine on search engines for retro stuff about the 00s.  Wait, what's a search engine, and why would anyone use that when Web 3.0 just sends me ads for whatever the marketing algorithms already know I want to see?  I know!  We'll build our own Internet!  With blackjack!  And hookers!  In fact, forget the Internet.

http://i.imgur.com/4m1APZe.gif

Aaw, screw the whole thing.

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/07/15 at 6:48 am

Since the 2000s can refer to a decade, century, or millenium, it won't be as distinctive no matter what timeframe is use. I don't hear "that's so 1900s", though I might hear "that's so last century", referring to the 20th which is a better marker for some longer-term trends. You'll more than likely hear some random 2000s decade year instead "That's so 2004", or alternatively the popular communications expression "2005 is calling, they want their Droid Razr back". 2000s nostalgia will likely be more year-based as opposed to decade based initially, before the "turn of the century/millenium" expression becomes more popular by 2030 or so. Due to rapid changes in trends in the 2000s (and the same will be true for the 2010s), pop culture will be more fragmented than ever.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/07/15 at 8:24 am

Since the 2000s can refer to a decade, century, or millenium, it won't be as distinctive no matter what timeframe is use. I don't hear "that's so 1900s", though I might hear "that's so last century", referring to the 20th which is a better marker for some longer-term trends. You'll more than likely hear some random 2000s decade year instead "That's so 2004", or alternatively the popular communications expression "2005 is calling, they want their Droid Razr back". 2000s nostalgia will likely be more year-based as opposed to decade based initially, before the "turn of the century/millenium" expression becomes more popular by 2030 or so. Due to rapid changes in trends in the 2000s (and the same will be true for the 2010s), pop culture will be more fragmented than ever.

Yeah but I do hear "so 90s" that expression was popular in the 00s.

Written By: nostalgicguy on 01/07/15 at 12:25 pm

"I'm so three thousand and eight
You so Two-thousand and late" ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/07/15 at 2:22 pm

Yeah but I do hear "so 90s" that expression was popular in the 00s.

But I don't think it's so popular now?

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/09/15 at 8:21 am

There's a scene in the first scary movie that can be found on you tube where one of the female characters says "Thats so 90's". The movie came out in 2000, further proving my previous point.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/15 at 11:52 am

I mostly agreed with you until the bolded statement. Pop cultural nostalgia goes in 20 year cycles, not 30. If it went in 30 year cycles, it would be all about the '80s right now, and the '80s are certainly not the rage anymore. When iTunes did a huge holiday sale, they also had a hip-hop tribute collection, and they did a kind of "blast from the past" thing and the featured year was 1994. In Old Navy, I saw sweaters literally with the year 1994 sewn on the chest. On some novelty clothing websites, I saw a lot of shirts that said 1994.

In 2013 people in New York even dedicated an entire museum to the year 1993, saying that all of the issues people were concerned about in '93 had once again returned to the surface by 2013. It was a time capsule of some sorts. I thought that an entire museum based on just a rather plain year of the '90s was kind of silly. 1993 was a rather uninteresting year.

Last, there will always be major trends. There will always be corporations who will spend money to advertise for their product and convince people to check it out. There will always be people who follow (most people do actually), and will want to see what's popular, just as there will be people who hate anything that's popular. It has always been this way, corporations using their power to attract people to what they have to offer. In most cases that's a good thing. I don't see that changing, and I don't really want it to. Some gems really are right in front of you.

museum reference
http://www.newmuseum.org/exhibitions/view/nyc-1993-experimental-jet-set-trash-and-no-star

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/15 at 7:53 am

Usually as soon as their mouth is open?

Written By: Howard on 01/10/15 at 8:08 am

Usually as soon as their mouth is open?

;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/10/15 at 7:31 pm

Because "That's so 2000's" doesn't sound as good as "That's so 90's."  8)

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/12/15 at 6:27 pm

Thats so noughties.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/15 at 2:31 pm

Thats so noughties.

Don't you mean "naughty"?

Check for new replies or respond here...