inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: DVD's dying?

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/13/15 at 12:19 pm

Is it me, or are they going the way of the VHS. They are basically the 21st century VHS with similar picture quality and sound. And seem to be declining in sales since 2011, losing out to the internet and Netflix. When do you think they will  become a thing of the past?

Subject: Re: DVD's dying?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/13/15 at 1:07 pm

DVD (and Blu-Ray for that matter) have an intrinsic value that digital media lacks by having both specific hardware that can be used and by providing a library of titles on hand, similar to CDs, tapes, and vinyl for music. I still consider VHS since that format still has titles that were never released onto neither DVD nor uploaded online. It will always have a niche market even if it takes a back seat to streaming as the "go-to" form of software. But DVD will never be the "wave of the future" appeal that it had in the late '90s/early '00s or the "only game in town" in the mid-00s, with Blu-Ray's lifespan being the WOTF/OGIT even briefer.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/15 at 2:20 pm

I don't think so, DVDs could be bought at many different electronic or record stores.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/13/15 at 2:52 pm

DVD's have gone down in price, Blu-Rays are just glorified DVDs with extras. I hope we never lose them as an option, I'd rather have physical copies of the movies I want to see.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/15 at 3:29 pm

DVD's have gone down in price, Blu-Rays are just glorified DVDs with extras. I hope we never lose them as an option, I'd rather have physical copies of the movies I want to see.

you could get them at garage sales.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/13/15 at 3:50 pm

you could get them at garage sales.

I don't have the patience for Garage sales, I'd rather go to used record shops.

Written By: whistledog on 01/13/15 at 6:24 pm

Enough people still purchase DVDs that they won't be dying anytime soon.  Upon release, a DVD version of a film is usually about $5 cheaper than the Blu-Ray, however, some people don't really care about the format, they just want the movie, so why pay more for the same thing? 

I like Blu-Rays mainly for the smaller sized cases, so you can fit more on a shelf.  I liked HD DVDs for the same reason and I still have (and purchase) those (when I find them).  The picture quality on DVDs is clear enough that it's not VHS and that's all that matters to me.  I have a Sony PlayStation 4 and a Samsung 3DTV.  When I watch a DVD in it, I don't really notice much of a difference in the picture quality anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/15 at 6:30 pm

On my last visit to HMV last year it appeared the DVDs are well and truly alive.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/14/15 at 10:32 am

Didn't they kill HD-DVDs soon after they came out?

Written By: Howard on 01/14/15 at 2:27 pm

I don't have the patience for Garage sales, I'd rather go to used record shops.

There was this used record shop I used to go to a long time ago but they closed shop after 25 years, I guess they couldn't keep up with the times anymore. :(

Written By: Howard on 01/14/15 at 2:28 pm

Didn't they kill HD-DVDs soon after they came out?

I don't think so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/15 at 6:34 pm

There was this used record shop I used to go to a long time ago but they closed shop after 25 years, I guess they couldn't keep up with the times anymore. :(
My used record shop has branches along the same road selling DVDs

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/14/15 at 7:48 pm

I know one close to me that's been there for years, and a good one that closed up because the owner said too many people download now. The other one still there is in a bad neighborhood and I prefer not going to it. If I want something bad enough I can have FYE order it for me and wait.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/15/15 at 1:39 pm

I don't think so.

They ceased production in 2008.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/15 at 3:11 pm

My used record shop has branches along the same road selling DVDs

Do they sell old cassette tapes? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/15/15 at 3:13 pm

I know one close to me that's been there for years, and a good one that closed up because the owner said too many people download now. The other one still there is in a bad neighborhood and I prefer not going to it. If I want something bad enough I can have FYE order it for me and wait.

The computer and internet has taken over most of our lives, people download stuff now instead of watching it on DVD.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/15 at 3:14 pm

So what happens when DVDs become completely obsolete?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/15 at 4:53 am

So what happens when DVDs become completely obsolete?
DVDs will be rarities and collectors items.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/15 at 7:18 am

DVDs will be rarities and collectors items.

They're always coming out with something new.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/16/15 at 9:01 am

Is it me, or are they going the way of the VHS. They are basically the 21st century VHS with similar picture quality and sound.

What? DVD and VHS have similar picture quality and sound? No way! VHS has a much lower picture resolution. DVD looks still fine on HD Television sets. The sound is also good in comparison to VHS because it's digital. DVDs also don't lose picture and sound quality due to frequent use. DVDs are closer to Bluray than to VHS.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/15 at 3:48 pm

What? DVD and VHS have similar picture quality and sound? No way! VHS has a much lower picture resolution. DVD looks still fine on HD Television sets. The sound is also good in comparison to VHS because it's digital. DVDs also don't lose picture and sound quality due to frequent use. DVDs are closer to Bluray than to VHS.

Sometimes once in a while I still watch my VHS tapes, not bad quality.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/15 at 7:26 pm

Sometimes once in a while I still watch my VHS tapes, not bad quality.
The DVDs I have back home are well and truly alive.

Written By: ralfy on 01/17/15 at 6:23 am

Those of better quality are likely much more durable than hard and flash drives used to store videos.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/15 at 6:53 am

The DVDs I have back home are well and truly alive.

I still have some DVDs lying around, I will watch some of them at my own convenience.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/17/15 at 7:29 pm

DVD's have been know to look mediocre on HD TVs. They only come in SD of 480-550p(or is it i). Thats why they made the short lived HD-DVDs and Blue Ray to compensate.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/17/15 at 8:06 pm

DVD's have been know to look mediocre on HD TVs. They only come in SD of 480-550p(or is it i). Thats why they made the short lived HD-DVDs and Blue Ray to compensate.

Still, VHS looked much worse. They did not even offer a good resolution on CRT TVs. DVDs looked at least better than the normal SD TV program.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/15 at 10:48 pm

They're dead. Both Blu-Rays and DVDs are. Netflix is whats popular now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 10:49 pm

But Netfilx is not available in every country, and are recent feature films availabe after three months?

Written By: Howard on 01/18/15 at 2:48 pm

Still, VHS looked much worse. They did not even offer a good resolution on CRT TVs. DVDs looked at least better than the normal SD TV program.

and plus VHS tapes sometimes get stuck inside the VCR.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/15 at 2:49 pm

My Father uses Netflix.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/15 at 2:13 am

BTW, it is hard to cremate DVDs!

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/28/16 at 6:19 pm

DVDs weren't really that popular since the early 2010s. Either the Blu-Ray disc, or online streaming has took over from its dominance.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/28/16 at 7:01 pm

DVDs weren't really that popular since the early 2010s. Either the Blu-Ray disc, or online streaming has took over from its dominance.

Blu Ray is dead now too. All physical media really. Blu Ray was actually kinda dead on arrival. At the time of release, online streaming has already started so nobody bought Blu Ray.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/16 at 7:05 pm

Blu Ray is dead now too. All physical media really. Blu Ray was actually kinda dead on arrival. At the time of release, online streaming has already started so nobody bought Blu Ray.
...and people already had the films on DVD, and the majority would have to buy a new player.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/28/16 at 7:08 pm

...and people already had the films on DVD, and the majority would have to buy a new player.

Yeah that's true too.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/28/16 at 7:25 pm

Barely anybody had a Blu-Ray player.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/16 at 8:13 pm

Question!

Can a Blu-Ray disc be played on a computer like a DVD?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/28/16 at 8:17 pm

Question!

Can a Blu-Ray disc be played on a computer like a DVD?

Well, it could if it supported Blu-Ray discs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/28/16 at 8:20 pm

Well, it could if it supported Blu-Ray discs.
With the right software, etc?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/28/16 at 8:33 pm

I guess so, if it supports Blu-Ray.

Written By: 2001 on 09/28/16 at 8:46 pm

No, you need a Blu-ray drive.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/30/16 at 3:30 pm

Yeah, we mainly had all the movies we wanted on DVD, and I just put my Blu Ray discs on my Xbox One, and I only watch a DVD/Blu Ray disc occasionally anyways. I don't even watch movies too often with online streaming though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/30/16 at 4:19 pm

Yeah, we mainly had all the movies we wanted on DVD, and I just put my Blu Ray discs on my Xbox One, and I only watch a DVD/Blu Ray disc occasionally anyways. I don't even watch movies too often with online streaming though.

It's the same with me. I never really watched a lot of movies online, since I don't watch them that often. Although, I would usually watch DVDs if I wanted to watch something from my childhood. That or Kisscartoon, which is a website that has a large collection of old and new cartoons.

Written By: 1999 Baby, 2000s Kid on 09/30/16 at 4:45 pm

It's the same with me. I never really watched a lot of movies online, since I don't watch them that often. Although, I would usually watch DVDs if I wanted to watch something from my childhood. That or Kisscartoon, which is a website that has a large collection of old and new cartoons.

Yeah, when I do watch a DVD, it's a movie or show from my childhood like Star Wars or The Curse of the Black Pearl with the exception of Doctor Who which I got into in 2014.  Kisscartoon, I'll have to remember that so I can check it out.

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/16 at 10:35 am

From 1993-2003 it was all VHS for me. Then in late 2003 I got a DVD player, I started watching movies on that. I only had one DVD player though, and it was in the living room TV, which my mom was using most the day, so I still rented VHS when I could, so I could watch on the TV in my parent's bedroom, which had a VHS player built into it! So high tech!

https://assets.listia.com/photos/f5ba1913297247b7370f/original.png?s=320x320m&sig=a97346cdc856dddd&ts=1394581107

But after 2004, when we got a PS2 in our room, that's when I went exclusive with DVD. In 2005 though, I was tech savvy enough to erm... pirate movies (am I allowed to talk about that here?), so my DVD days were over quite quickly. I don't think I've bought a movie ever since tbh. Netflix was a godsend when it came.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 10:46 am

From 1993-2003 it was all VHS for me. Then in late 2003 I got a DVD player, I started watching movies on that. I only had one DVD player though, and it was in the living room TV, which my mom was using most the day, so I still rented VHS when I could, so I could watch on the TV in my parent's bedroom, which had a VHS player built into it! So high tech!

https://assets.listia.com/photos/f5ba1913297247b7370f/original.png?s=320x320m&sig=a97346cdc856dddd&ts=1394581107

But after 2004, when we got a PS2 in our room, that's when I went exclusive with DVD. In 2005 though, I was tech savvy enough to erm... pirate movies (am I allowed to talk about that here?), so my DVD days were over quite quickly. I don't think I've bought a movie ever since tbh. Netflix was a godsend when it came.

Man, you really liked getting digital copies of movies, didn't you?  ;D

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/16 at 11:36 am

Man, you really liked getting digital copies of movies, didn't you?  ;D

I like digital copies of everything ;D I'm a 21st century kid.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 11:40 am

I like digital copies of everything ;D I'm a 21st century kid.

lol

I'm like the opposite. I dream of having a working VCR, so that I could play my collection for it. Although, I find Netflix, YouTube, and other streaming websites to be useful.

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/16 at 11:43 am

lol

I'm like the opposite. I dream of having a working VCR, so that I could play my collection for it. Although, I find Netflix, YouTube, and other streaming websites to be useful.

Why not the DVD/Blu-ray editions? They're not analog, but I'm pretty sure they still count as "physical".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 11:44 am

Why not the DVD/Blu-ray editions? They're not analog, but I'm pretty sure they still count as "physical".

Well, I never really operated a VCR since 2009, when my dad threw it out. Although, I find DVDs to be way better than VHS, in my opinion.

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/16 at 11:49 am

Well, I never really operated a VCR since 2009, when my dad threw it out. Although, I find DVDs to be way better than VHS, in my opinion.

You can get DVD movies for $3-$5 at the convenience store and Walmart bargain bins.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 11:54 am

You can get DVD movies for $3-$5 at the convenience store and Walmart bargain bins.

Well, that's true. I think it's because of how people are using online streaming, the cost of DVDs are really cheap. Even in the United States.

Written By: Howard on 10/01/16 at 5:17 pm

lol

I miss having a VCR in general.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/01/16 at 5:25 pm

Well, that's true. I think it's because of how people are using online streaming, the cost of DVDs are really cheap. Even in the United States.
I have noticed that some of the cheaper DVDs do not have the extras on them, like the director's commentary.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 5:39 pm

I have noticed that some of the cheaper DVDs do not have the extras on them, like the director's commentary.

Well, it doesn't really matter if you just want to watch the movie.

Written By: 2001 on 10/01/16 at 6:49 pm

Well, it doesn't really matter if you just want to watch the movie.

Probably not good for collector's value, though.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/01/16 at 6:51 pm

Probably not good for collector's value, though.

Well yeah. But I'll probably just watch the movie if I wanted to buy something as a DVD.

Written By: ralfy on 10/16/16 at 9:53 am

Useful for backing up videos, especially if the disks are of very good quality. I also heard of M-disks, which can be useful especially for personal digital belongings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/16/16 at 10:09 am

Useful for backing up videos, especially if the disks are of very good quality. I also heard of M-disks, which can be useful especially for personal digital belongings:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M-DISC

Man, I never even knew those existed until know. I think it's only available towards those who collect a lot of important technology as a hobby. Not that it's rare to find it in the general population, but people don't mention it to me.

Written By: musicguy93 on 10/18/16 at 12:53 pm

Blu-Ray is dead? Perhaps, but all physical media? Not if I can help it!  ;)

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 1:31 pm

Blu-Ray is dead? Perhaps, but all physical media? Not if I can help it!  ;)

It's dead in the mainstream, but it's not dead for those who rent/buy movies on DVD or Blu-Ray.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 4:49 pm

To think that in the future the idea of having physical media would be seen as outdated-ish. There will be kids who won't know what a Blu Ray or DVD is. But then again this is all assuming that there just won't be any new physical media that will replace DVDs and Blu Rays. I figured we'd end up seeing physical discs that can be hold 1TB or more data. Heck movies may even come in the form of external flash drives such as USBs or SD cards instead of discs.

Or people will just end up streaming their favorite songs, movies, and tv shows on Netflix or something. I'll most likely hold onto physical media for as long as I live.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 4:55 pm

To think that in the future the idea of having physical media would be seen as outdated-ish. There will be kids who won't know what a Blu Ray or DVD is. But then again this is all assuming that there just won't be any new physical media that will replace DVDs and Blu Rays. I figured we'd end up seeing physical discs that can be hold 1TB or more data. Heck movies may even come in the form of external flash drives such as USBs or SD cards instead of discs.

Or people will just end up streaming their favorite songs, movies, and tv shows on Netflix or something. I'll most likely hold onto physical media for as long as I live.

If that's the case, then I'll miss seeing DVDs throughout most of my life (as of now). Even though I don't get DVDs that often as I used to.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 5:02 pm

If that's the case, then I'll miss seeing DVDs throughout most of my life (as of now). Even though I don't get DVDs that often as I used to.

I don't get DVDs for movies very often, but I love to get DVDs for when a TV series has been released. I've got complete DVD collections for a lot of series from 1930s cartoons/sitcoms all the way up to 2010s cartoons/sitcoms. However, I've been noticing that there has been a slight decline in TV show DVD releases. I assume this is due to things like Netflix. It's much cheaper AND more profitable to just release a series for online streaming then it is for DVD collections. Companies are noticing this are jumping ship. Now we still get some DVD TV show releases, but I can imagine this stopping as we move through the 2020s. For some reason I can't imagine DVDs still being used by 2029/2030 unless they've had an upgrade that would keep them in relevancy.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 5:09 pm

Physical media died many years ago. There won't be anything after this. It's only online streaming. DVDs are already seen as really dated.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 5:19 pm

Physical media died many years ago. There won't be anything after this. It's only online streaming. DVDs are already seen as really dated.

Your definition of "died" may be different than mine. Do you mean that Physical media fell out of relevance many years ago or literally ended to the point where it is uncommon to see DVDs or any other form of physicial media. I still see many stores selling DVDs and many commercials/ads that tell you to buy the Blue Ray or DVD. Although I'll admit that not as many people buy DVDs/Blu Rays anymore unless their a huge fan of a certain series.

But I do agree with DVDs being see as dated. DVDs hold a limited amount of storage space. Online streaming can be infinite. I don't have to buy Volume 1 or Volume 2 of a DVD series. With streaming it's all already online and ready to be watched. DVDs were invented back in 1995 and have became dominate over VHS around 2003. It's been 13-21 years since these important dates for DVD and it is easy to see how dated DVDs can be. No

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 5:24 pm

Your definition of "died" may be different than mine. Do you mean that Physical media fell out of relevance many years ago or literally ended to the point where it is uncommon to see DVDs or any other form of physicial media. I still see many stores selling DVDs and many commercials/ads that tell you to buy the Blue Ray or DVD. Although I'll admit that not as many people buy DVDs/Blu Rays anymore unless their a huge fan of a certain series.

But I do agree with DVDs being see as dated. DVDs hold a limited amount of storage space. Online streaming can be infinite. I don't have to buy Volume 1 or Volume 2 of a DVD series. With streaming it's all already online and ready to be watched. DVDs were invented back in 1995 and have became dominate over VHS around 2003. It's been 13-21 years since these important dates for DVD and it is easy to see how dated DVDs can be. No

Well yeah they're still around. They won't be totally gone like the VHS for a while because many people still prefer physical media. But it's no longer the mainstream format. There's also no chance another physical media format will come out. That ship has sailed years ago. Blu-Rays (or the disk in general) are the last physical media items out forever.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 5:32 pm

Well yeah they're still around. They won't be totally gone like the VHS for a whil because many people still prefer physical media. But it's no longer the mainstream format.

Ah, I get ya. Yeah, nowadays people treat DVDs as collector's items. Only things that the die hard fans will buy. Before many people would get DVDs due to wanting to watch something with friends or family. But there is no point if we can just stream things online. Quite curious on when was the last time you all bought a DVD and how often you all get DVDs.  When was the time you'd regulary buy DVDs and when did you start buying them less often.

Back between 2000 - 2012 I would buy a ton of DVD sets. As of 2016 I've probably only bought 2 DVD sets as of this year now that I think about it. I love DVDs, but most companies just don't release a lot of the series that I want to DVD.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 5:38 pm

I don't get DVDs for movies very often, but I love to get DVDs for when a TV series has been released. I've got complete DVD collections for a lot of series from 1930s cartoons/sitcoms all the way up to 2010s cartoons/sitcoms. However, I've been noticing that there has been a slight decline in TV show DVD releases. I assume this is due to things like Netflix. It's much cheaper AND more profitable to just release a series for online streaming then it is for DVD collections.

Plus, it doesn't cost that much money if you buy DVDs often. Even though you could buy the DVDs, if a certain movie or TV show isn't out yet on Netflix. I'll rather think that YouTube is more accessible than Netflix, since they have a lot of videos. Despite most of them getting down by copyright strikes.

Companies are noticing this are jumping ship. Now we still get some DVD TV show releases, but I can imagine this stopping as we move through the 2020s. For some reason I can't imagine DVDs still being used by 2029/2030 unless they've had an upgrade that would keep them in relevancy.

I wouldn't really think DVDs would survive that much; in the future. Not even in the early 2030s, where pretty much anybody born after 2012 wouldn't see a DVD that often.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 5:43 pm

I don't really think physical media died many years ago. If you meant by many years ago, as in about 10 years ago, then that seems impossible. DVDs were still popular at the time, especially when I used them a lot in the mid 2000s. Most days, I would play my DVDs on my family's DVD player (or recorder), or my portable DVD player.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/18/16 at 5:49 pm

Plus, it doesn't cost that much money if you buy DVDs often. Even though you could buy the DVDs, if a certain movie or TV show isn't out yet on Netflix. I'll rather think that YouTube is more accessible than Netflix, since they have a lot of videos. Despite most of them getting down by copyright strikes.

I wouldn't really think DVDs would survive that much; in the future. Not even in the early 2030s, where pretty much anybody born after 2012 wouldn't see a DVD that often.

Actually in this day and age I tend to see TV shows end up on Netflix or some other streaming place first then on DVDs/Blu Rays.  We're in the (by chrono logic) the late 2010s and we can see DVDs fading. In 10 years during 2026 I wonder what the state of DVDs will be. Now streaming is convenient, but I like DVDs due to being able to view them offline.

Funny as DVDs aren't the only things to go. In other industries such as the gaming industry it seems that physical game discs are also on their way out. Companies are trying to move to online services (Steam is already popular) for the 9th console gen. If memory serves me correct the NX lacks an optical drive (or so the rumors say) which means that there is no disc (although it may use cartridges). And Sony/Microsoft wither tried or were planning to make their consoles online only. Evidence being Microsoft's old DRM strategy and the rule of not being able to play used games from a friend AND the fact that when you place a disc in the Xbox one or PS4 you have to wait for it to install to play it, but in the 7th gen and before you just played it once you first put it in.

Physical media as a whole is becoming endangered it seems.  :(

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 6:00 pm

Actually in this day and age I tend to see TV shows end up on Netflix or some other streaming place first then on DVDs/Blu Rays.  We're in the (by chrono logic) the late 2010s and we can see DVDs fading. In 10 years during 2026 I wonder what the state of DVDs will be. Now streaming is convenient, but I like DVDs due to being able to view them offline.

Which is why I like them in the first place. You don't really have to worry about your internet connection sucking so hard, since DVDs don't really need that at all. Of course, there's the time where it could get scratchy or dirty, which leads to the disc being barely watchable. But yet, if you wash it, then it would might be alright.

Funny as DVDs aren't the only things to go. In other industries such as the gaming industry it seems that physical game discs are also on their way out. Companies are trying to move to online services (Steam is already popular) for the 9th console gen. If memory serves me correct the NX lacks an optical drive (or so the rumors say) which means that there is no disc (although it may use cartridges). And Sony/Microsoft wither tried or were planning to make their consoles online only. Evidence being Microsoft's old DRM strategy and the rule of not being able to play used games from a friend AND the fact that when you place a disc in the Xbox one or PS4 you have to wait for it to install to play it, but in the 7th gen and before you just played it once you first put it in.

Physical media as a whole is becoming endangered it seems.  :(

I don't really think physical gaming discs would that well towards the 9th generation. I agree that Steam is taking over the console gaming market, since it's doing way better than most, if not, all gaming-based consoles nowadays. It's different than it used to be in the 3rd-7th generations, where people usually bought their games on physical media. They would rarely download the game on their PCs instantly.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/18/16 at 6:16 pm

I don't really think physical media died many years ago. If you meant by many years ago, as in about 10 years ago, then that seems impossible. DVDs were still popular at the time, especially when I used them a lot in the mid 2000s. Most days, I would play my DVDs on my family's DVD player (or recorder), or my portable DVD player.

Around 8 years ago, more or less.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/18/16 at 6:18 pm

To me, DVDs were still around until the early 2010s (maybe 2012, to be more precise).

Written By: 80sfan on 10/18/16 at 8:25 pm

DVD's are so awesome though!  8)  8)  8)

Written By: Shemp97 on 10/18/16 at 11:41 pm

DVDs were huge 8 years ago. Movies and shows uploaded online were by large unwatchable due to lack of standards and poor technology.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/19/16 at 5:46 am

DVDs were huge 8 years ago. Movies and shows uploaded online were by large unwatchable due to lack of standards and poor technology.

Plus, you had to download movies by using torrents. Which were a pain in the ass to use, if you wanted to watch the newest movies so much on the Internet.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/19/16 at 7:55 am

Yeah kind of but I was talking about the start of the decline for physical media in general. CD sales started slumping due to online digital sales.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/19/16 at 12:02 pm

nIpkN4aqIzU
pbXpegne62E
fhBC96x0V_8

Wonder if Disney or any other company still uses these for their movies. Gotta check when I get the chance

"Coming soon to Netflix and Hulu". "Buy at your local streaming service".

Written By: Slim95 on 10/19/16 at 12:07 pm

The last time I saw a movie ad they just said "now on Blu-Ray". But I haven't heard this in a while so they are probably advertising to the streaming crowd now.

Written By: Looney Toon on 10/19/16 at 12:21 pm

The last time I saw a movie ad they just said "now on Blu-Ray". But I haven't heard this in a while so they are probably advertising to the streaming crowd now.

Probably.  I've been seeing a lot of commercials where it says "Now you can enjoy your favorite episodes anywhere! Just go online and use our !".

Before you'd see something like this on TV.
uRXaegjm_nE

Now you'd get something like this.
g2msEOYd0X8

Now to be fair Cartoon Network and other companies still make DVDs, but I'm not sure how long they'd keep doing this. Back in the late 1990s and 2000s DVD releases were happening left and right. Now we're still seeing DVD releases, but there are less of these when compared to online streaming releases.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/16 at 2:51 pm

That's what people have been doing.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/19/16 at 2:56 pm

nIpkN4aqIzU
pbXpegne62E
fhBC96x0V_8

Wonder if Disney or any other company still uses these for their movies. Gotta check when I get the chance

"Coming soon to Netflix and Hulu". "Buy at your local streaming service".

As somebody who has never regularly watched Disney DVDs since 2008/9, I suppose they don't do it that much. Plus, I don't think it would matter in this day, since people tend to use streaming services more than DVDs or Blu-Ray discs.

Written By: ralfy on 10/21/16 at 11:18 am

M-discs are being sold in various online stores, and I read elsewhere that disks with even larger storage space will be produced soon.

For now, high-quality DVDs are quite durable compared to hard drives, etc.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/21/16 at 12:38 pm

M-discs are being sold in various online stores, and I read elsewhere that disks with even larger storage space will be produced soon.

No they won't. Physical media is dead forever. Nobody will want M-Disks when in the near future you will get the same amount of storage online.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/21/16 at 1:32 pm

I don't think that would happen since M-discs aren't compatible with most computers, video disc players, and other sorts of readable devices. It's like saying those disc formats in the 70s/early 80s would be the thing of the future, but it would be discontinued around the core 80s. Hell, even Divx discs could be more valuable than those M-discs.

Written By: yelimsexa on 10/24/16 at 10:16 am

Well, with the recent news about cyber attacks, I still find the tangibility of physical media to be very real in a more secure matter. Imagine if a cyber attack wipes out vast libraries of streaming files and archives?

There will always be some market just like there is still a niche physical music market.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/24/16 at 10:22 am

Well, with the recent news about cyber attacks, I still find the tangibility of physical media to be very real in a more secure matter. Imagine if a cyber attack wipes out vast libraries of streaming files and archives?

There will always be some market just like there is still a niche physical music market.

I would've watched something from my DVD collection, since they're like the best form of physical media to me.

Written By: Howard on 10/24/16 at 2:52 pm

There would be chaos.  :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/24/16 at 7:54 pm

There would be chaos.  :o

At least most of us here have either VHS/Betamax tapes, DVDs, flash drives, SD cards, and Blu-Ray discs if we don't have anything to stream.

Written By: muppethammer26 on 10/24/16 at 8:22 pm

At least most of us here have either VHS/Betamax tapes, DVDs, flash drives, SD cards, and Blu-Ray discs if we don't have anything to stream.

Streaming isn't supposed to completely replace physical media. The market still has room for both.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/24/16 at 8:36 pm

Streaming isn't supposed to completely replace physical media. The market still has room for both.

I guess so. But DVDs weren't as popular as they were in the 2000s.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/24/16 at 8:38 pm

It will probably completely replace it in the near future though.

Written By: Katluver on 10/25/16 at 1:08 am

I hope not.  I actually kind of collect DVDs since I like having moving available in case it's not on Netflix/YouTube.  Plus I like the extra features such as playing the movie in a second language.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 5:40 am

I hope not.  I actually kind of collect DVDs since I like having moving available in case it's not on Netflix/YouTube.  Plus I like the extra features such as playing the movie in a second language.

I like of how DVDs don't really screw up that much, since they don't require having an Internet connection.

Written By: Howard on 10/25/16 at 2:40 pm

I have DVD and flash drives.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/25/16 at 2:56 pm

I'll admit I still have a flash drive, but I never use it. It's more of a security blanket. But so far the cloud has never dissapointed me.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 10/25/16 at 5:17 pm

I'll admit I still have a flash drive, but I never use it. It's more of a security blanket. But so far the cloud has never dissapointed me.

Same with myself. I use some flash drives to store some information that I want to keep, in case I leave my house for vacation. I wouldn't really trust something like Google Drive that much, since it's not good for somebody else to look at my personal files when it's hacked.

Written By: Starlighter on 11/07/16 at 7:11 pm

Same with myself. I use some flash drives to store some information that I want to keep, in case I leave my house for vacation. I wouldn't really trust something like Google Drive that much, since it's not good for somebody else to look at my personal files when it's hacked.

I don't really trust any type of cloud storage either (I guess I'm old school).  I still use external hard drives and flash drives.

Written By: Howard on 11/08/16 at 2:53 pm

I don't really trust any type of cloud storage either (I guess I'm old school).  I still use external hard drives and flash drives.

I use flash drives myself too.

Check for new replies or respond here...