inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: DVD's dying?

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/13/15 at 12:19 pm

Is it me, or are they going the way of the VHS. They are basically the 21st century VHS with similar picture quality and sound. And seem to be declining in sales since 2011, losing out to the internet and Netflix. When do you think they will  become a thing of the past?

Subject: Re: DVD's dying?

Written By: yelimsexa on 01/13/15 at 1:07 pm

DVD (and Blu-Ray for that matter) have an intrinsic value that digital media lacks by having both specific hardware that can be used and by providing a library of titles on hand, similar to CDs, tapes, and vinyl for music. I still consider VHS since that format still has titles that were never released onto neither DVD nor uploaded online. It will always have a niche market even if it takes a back seat to streaming as the "go-to" form of software. But DVD will never be the "wave of the future" appeal that it had in the late '90s/early '00s or the "only game in town" in the mid-00s, with Blu-Ray's lifespan being the WOTF/OGIT even briefer.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/15 at 2:20 pm

I don't think so, DVDs could be bought at many different electronic or record stores.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/13/15 at 2:52 pm

DVD's have gone down in price, Blu-Rays are just glorified DVDs with extras. I hope we never lose them as an option, I'd rather have physical copies of the movies I want to see.

Written By: Howard on 01/13/15 at 3:29 pm

DVD's have gone down in price, Blu-Rays are just glorified DVDs with extras. I hope we never lose them as an option, I'd rather have physical copies of the movies I want to see.

you could get them at garage sales.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/13/15 at 3:50 pm

you could get them at garage sales.

I don't have the patience for Garage sales, I'd rather go to used record shops.

Written By: whistledog on 01/13/15 at 6:24 pm

Enough people still purchase DVDs that they won't be dying anytime soon.  Upon release, a DVD version of a film is usually about $5 cheaper than the Blu-Ray, however, some people don't really care about the format, they just want the movie, so why pay more for the same thing? 

I like Blu-Rays mainly for the smaller sized cases, so you can fit more on a shelf.  I liked HD DVDs for the same reason and I still have (and purchase) those (when I find them).  The picture quality on DVDs is clear enough that it's not VHS and that's all that matters to me.  I have a Sony PlayStation 4 and a Samsung 3DTV.  When I watch a DVD in it, I don't really notice much of a difference in the picture quality anyway.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/13/15 at 6:30 pm

On my last visit to HMV last year it appeared the DVDs are well and truly alive.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/14/15 at 10:32 am

Didn't they kill HD-DVDs soon after they came out?

Written By: Howard on 01/14/15 at 2:27 pm

I don't have the patience for Garage sales, I'd rather go to used record shops.

There was this used record shop I used to go to a long time ago but they closed shop after 25 years, I guess they couldn't keep up with the times anymore. :(

Written By: Howard on 01/14/15 at 2:28 pm

Didn't they kill HD-DVDs soon after they came out?

I don't think so.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/15 at 6:34 pm

There was this used record shop I used to go to a long time ago but they closed shop after 25 years, I guess they couldn't keep up with the times anymore. :(
My used record shop has branches along the same road selling DVDs

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/14/15 at 7:48 pm

I know one close to me that's been there for years, and a good one that closed up because the owner said too many people download now. The other one still there is in a bad neighborhood and I prefer not going to it. If I want something bad enough I can have FYE order it for me and wait.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/15/15 at 1:39 pm

I don't think so.

They ceased production in 2008.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/15 at 3:11 pm

My used record shop has branches along the same road selling DVDs

Do they sell old cassette tapes? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/15/15 at 3:13 pm

I know one close to me that's been there for years, and a good one that closed up because the owner said too many people download now. The other one still there is in a bad neighborhood and I prefer not going to it. If I want something bad enough I can have FYE order it for me and wait.

The computer and internet has taken over most of our lives, people download stuff now instead of watching it on DVD.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/15 at 3:14 pm

So what happens when DVDs become completely obsolete?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/15 at 4:53 am

So what happens when DVDs become completely obsolete?
DVDs will be rarities and collectors items.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/15 at 7:18 am

DVDs will be rarities and collectors items.

They're always coming out with something new.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/16/15 at 9:01 am

Is it me, or are they going the way of the VHS. They are basically the 21st century VHS with similar picture quality and sound.

What? DVD and VHS have similar picture quality and sound? No way! VHS has a much lower picture resolution. DVD looks still fine on HD Television sets. The sound is also good in comparison to VHS because it's digital. DVDs also don't lose picture and sound quality due to frequent use. DVDs are closer to Bluray than to VHS.

Written By: Howard on 01/16/15 at 3:48 pm

What? DVD and VHS have similar picture quality and sound? No way! VHS has a much lower picture resolution. DVD looks still fine on HD Television sets. The sound is also good in comparison to VHS because it's digital. DVDs also don't lose picture and sound quality due to frequent use. DVDs are closer to Bluray than to VHS.

Sometimes once in a while I still watch my VHS tapes, not bad quality.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/15 at 7:26 pm

Sometimes once in a while I still watch my VHS tapes, not bad quality.
The DVDs I have back home are well and truly alive.

Written By: ralfy on 01/17/15 at 6:23 am

Those of better quality are likely much more durable than hard and flash drives used to store videos.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/15 at 6:53 am

The DVDs I have back home are well and truly alive.

I still have some DVDs lying around, I will watch some of them at my own convenience.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/17/15 at 7:29 pm

DVD's have been know to look mediocre on HD TVs. They only come in SD of 480-550p(or is it i). Thats why they made the short lived HD-DVDs and Blue Ray to compensate.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/17/15 at 8:06 pm

DVD's have been know to look mediocre on HD TVs. They only come in SD of 480-550p(or is it i). Thats why they made the short lived HD-DVDs and Blue Ray to compensate.

Still, VHS looked much worse. They did not even offer a good resolution on CRT TVs. DVDs looked at least better than the normal SD TV program.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/17/15 at 10:48 pm

They're dead. Both Blu-Rays and DVDs are. Netflix is whats popular now.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 10:49 pm

But Netfilx is not available in every country, and are recent feature films availabe after three months?

Written By: Howard on 01/18/15 at 2:48 pm

Still, VHS looked much worse. They did not even offer a good resolution on CRT TVs. DVDs looked at least better than the normal SD TV program.

and plus VHS tapes sometimes get stuck inside the VCR.

Written By: Howard on 01/18/15 at 2:49 pm

My Father uses Netflix.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/19/15 at 2:13 am

BTW, it is hard to cremate DVDs!

Check for new replies or respond here...