inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Thoughts on 00s cartoons?

Written By: Zelek on 03/17/15 at 2:56 pm

For me, 2000–2004 was a mini-golden age for animation. However, around 2005–06 is when very good shows like "Samurai Jack", "Dexter's Lab", "Hey Arnold", "Megas XLR", and "Courage the Cowardly Dog" began exiting and they were replaced with total and utter **** like "The Xs", "Catscratch", "Squirrel Boy", "My Gym Partner is a Monkey", and "Camp Lazlo."

Subject: Re: Thoughts on 00s cartoons?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/17/15 at 4:03 pm

For me, 2000–2004 was a mini-golden age for animation. However, around 2005–06 is when very good shows like "Samurai Jack", "Dexter's Lab", "Hey Arnold", "Megas XLR", and "Courage the Cowardly Dog" began exiting and they were replaced with total and utter **** like "The Xs", "Catscratch", "Squirrel Boy", "My Gym Partner is a Monkey", and "Camp Lazlo."

For most, the best famous cartoon characters of the 90s and 00s were on Spike.

7d-I5V-3P9A
Adult Party!

Written By: Howard on 03/18/15 at 1:40 pm

You also had Johnny Bravo.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/18/15 at 5:51 pm

My views on the 00s cartoons were while several were amazing, certain others were not. In the first half of the 2000s, there were a mass of cartoons on numerous channels being Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney, Fox Kids, PBS, Kids WB, ABC Kids, and Fox/ABC Family. On Nickelodeon, there were animations such as As Told By Ginger, Rocket Power, Teenage Robot, Fairly Odd-parents, Jimmy Neutron, Invader Zim and Chalkzone. On Cartoon Network, it was KND, Power-puff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Grim Adventures, Teen Titans and Time Squad. I've watched all the ones I listed and they were well done. Soon 2005 arrives and some of the channels either disappeared or changed. In addition, the majority of cartoons declined and began to not have a sense of humor anymore. Then by 2009, cartoons were diminishing to the point where the quality was distinct from older ones. Suddenly 2013 approaches and the condition of cartoons had completely deteriorated to where there is none at all. The only time I see cartoons nowadays are on CN, Nick, and Disney XD. Moreover, only two channels  have good ones. I miss the diversity of cartoons so much because there were much more on then than now. Additionally, I feel sad for kids of today as they should have a mixture of animation; unfortunately, since they don't it's really awful.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/24/15 at 8:45 am

We need one of these set in the early 90s:

4_Vn98yx5gE

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/24/15 at 10:36 am

I really liked Johnny Test and Teen Titans. Teen Titans ended in 2006 and Johnny Test is still going on after beginning in 2005. New episodes are rare, and now there are long periods of time between new seasons.

I liked Justice League, I don't know about JL Unlimited though. There were too many characters and too many plot points. One of the most defining aspects of the mid 2000s in my opinion is this: Convoluted. This isn't just television. I'm talking about movies, video games, music, and especially comic books. Justice League Unlimited really represented that.

In the early 2010s, my favorite cartoon was Young Justice. That show is awesome! Even though I was in high school when it started, it was a really great show with amazing animation, story lines, voice acting, and characters. It ran from 2010-2013. Every single year of the early '10s.

Written By: XYkid on 03/26/15 at 3:57 pm

Some of them were good, especially in the early part of the decade, but the latter part of the decade felt like a dark age in animation.

Written By: Shemp97 on 03/30/15 at 1:31 pm

Di-gata defenders, Avatar, Storm Hawks, Three's company, Chop Socky Chooks, Johnny Test(older episodes), etc were god in the late 00s. While the 00s a a whole were a Juggernaut era for TV, the early 00s were undoubtedly better.

Written By: Howard on 03/30/15 at 1:48 pm

Three's company

What? ??? Three's Company was a 80's TV Show not 00's cartoon.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/31/15 at 9:21 am

My views on the 00s cartoons were while several were amazing, certain others were not. In the first half of the 2000s, there were a mass of cartoons on numerous channels being Nickelodeon, Cartoon Network, Disney, Fox Kids, PBS, Kids WB, ABC Kids, and Fox/ABC Family. On Nickelodeon, there were animations such as As Told By Ginger, Rocket Power, Teenage Robot, Fairly Odd-parents, Jimmy Neutron, Invader Zim and Chalkzone. On Cartoon Network, it was KND, Power-puff Girls, Johnny Bravo, Grim Adventures, Teen Titans and Time Squad. I've watched all the ones I listed and they were well done. Soon 2005 arrives and some of the channels either disappeared or changed. In addition, the majority of cartoons declined and began to not have a sense of humor anymore. Then by 2009, cartoons were diminishing to the point where the quality was distinct from older ones. Suddenly 2013 approaches and the condition of cartoons had completely deteriorated to where there is none at all. The only time I see cartoons nowadays are on CN, Nick, and Disney XD. Moreover, only two channels  have good ones. I miss the diversity of cartoons so much because there were much more on then than now. Additionally, I feel sad for kids of today as they should have a mixture of animation; unfortunately, since they don't it's really awful.

2000's cartoons were plentiful! Not all of them were excellent though, but I would watch a few. I remember As Told By Ginger, Jimmy Neutron, Fairly Odd Parents, Kids Next Door, Ozzy and Drix, and Grim Adventures to be the ones I liked. I wasn't in my childhood anymore, but still found them entertaining enough when nothing else was worth it at the moment. In fact, in the 2000's they cranked cartoons out left and right more than I remember in the 90's. The difference I noticed was the 90's had more serious ones like Batman, Double Dragon, and X-Men while most of the 2000's shows were comical.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/03/15 at 6:36 pm

What? ??? Three's Company was a 80's TV Show not 00's cartoon.

I've always seen Three's Company as both a 70s and 80s show!

Written By: nally on 07/09/15 at 2:14 pm

I've always seen Three's Company as both a 70s and 80s show!

well it did premiere in 1977 and end in 1984.

Anyways, I haven't been into much animated programs in the current millennium, although Phineas & Ferb (which premiered in '07) has an interesting premise.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/09/15 at 4:05 pm

Some of my favorite 2000's cartoons as a kid that I watched and loved were Disney's House of Mouse, Xiaolin Showdown, The Proud Family, Kim Possible, Spongebob Squarepants (earlier seasons), Justice League (& Unlimited too), Duck Dodgers, Teen Titans, Catscratch, Liberty Kids, Cyberchase, Futurama, Dave the Barbarian, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Avatar: the Last Airbender, Danny Phantom, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, What's New Scooby-Doo, X-Men: Evolution, Megas XLR, American Dragon Jake Long, Samurai Jack, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003), and Ed, Edd n Eddy.

Guys, we didn't have it completely bad now. These were some really great cartoons and if you go back and watch at least half of what I listed these would still stand up today, well not all of them but it all comes down to preference. In response to the OP, yeah, true that most of the cartoons I listed debuted during the first half of the 2000's decade. I agree that there were barely any decent cartoons that debuted in the 2nd half of the decade, but at least we've had some better ones since 2010 has started.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/09/15 at 4:33 pm

Some of my favorite 2000's cartoons as a kid that I watched and loved were Disney's House of Mouse, Xiaolin Showdown, The Proud Family, Kim Possible, Spongebob Squarepants (earlier seasons), Justice League (& Unlimited too), Duck Dodgers, Teen Titans, Catscratch, Liberty Kids, Cyberchase, Futurama, Dave the Barbarian, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Avatar: the Last Airbender, Danny Phantom, The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, What's New Scooby-Doo, X-Men: Evolution, Megas XLR, American Dragon Jake Long, Samurai Jack, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2003), and Ed, Edd n Eddy.

Guys, we didn't have it completely bad now. These were some really great cartoons and if you go back and watch at least half of what I listed these would still stand up today, well not all of them but it all comes down to preference. In response to the OP, yeah, true that most of the cartoons I listed debuted during the first half of the 2000's decade. I agree that there were barely any decent cartoons that debuted in the 2nd half of the decade, but at least we've had some better ones since 2010 has started.

The only really good cartoons of the decade (that DEBUTED in the 00s)were from 2000-2004! 2005 was pretty much a turning point! There were still plenty of 90s cartoon holdovers that were still on that I and pretty sure you enjoyed too!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/09/15 at 4:39 pm

Ed Edd n Eddy, old school spongebob, and justice league were my favorite cartoons of the 00s!
My two favorite cartoon series ever are still Rugrats and Looney Toons!

Written By: mqg96 on 07/09/15 at 6:02 pm

Ed Edd n Eddy, old school spongebob, and justice league were my favorite cartoons of the 00s!

Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies was played on Cartoon Network A LOT throughout the early 2000's, it would always come on Saturday mornings, I vividly remember watching Looney Tunes on there every Saturday morning throughout 2002, 2003, and the 1st half of 2004 until it was taken off toward the later part of that year. I miss Looney Tunes on there when the network would play all kinds of shorts raging from different eras.

and those were some great cartoons, Justice League was the best action cartoon of the 2000's decade, it was like the Batman: TAS of the 2000's IMO. I was in Kindergarten when it first premiered and I watched all the episodes and even when Unlimited came out when I was in 3rd grade I watched all of those as well. I enjoyed the whole series as a kid.

Ed, Edd n Eddy was my favorite Cartoon Network original show, and Rugrats brings back so many memories, back when there was much more of a variety of Nicktoons back then.

Written By: nally on 07/09/15 at 7:06 pm

Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies was played on Cartoon Network A LOT throughout the early 2000's, it would always come on Saturday mornings, I vividly remember watching Looney Tunes on there every Saturday morning throughout 2002, 2003, and the 1st half of 2004 until it was taken off toward the later part of that year. I miss Looney Tunes on there when the network would play all kinds of shorts raging from different eras.

and those were some great cartoons, Justice League was the best action cartoon of the 2000's decade, it was like the Batman: TAS of the 2000's IMO. I was in Kindergarten when it first premiered and I watched all the episodes and even when Unlimited came out when I was in 3rd grade I watched all of those as well. I enjoyed the whole series as a kid.

Ed, Edd n Eddy was my favorite Cartoon Network original show, and Rugrats brings back so many memories, back when there was much more of a variety of Nicktoons back then.

Oh yeah, Looney Tunes was on regularly on CN in the early 2000s. I didn't much care for the CN original shows, though.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/09/15 at 8:24 pm

Oh yeah, Looney Tunes was on regularly on CN in the early 2000s. I didn't much care for the CN original shows, though.

I don't care for any cartoons now a days except the marvel/DC ones! and the anime of course!!!

Written By: Howard on 07/10/15 at 2:14 pm

I think they remade Looney Toons in the 00's.  ???

Written By: sonic2005 on 07/13/15 at 4:52 am

2000-2005 had the better cartoons BY FAR the rest of the 2000s not so much especially 2008-2009

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/13/15 at 8:47 am

2000-2005 had the better cartoons BY FAR the rest of the 2000s not so much especially 2008-2009

While the early 00s had more good cartoons. You can't possibly say Avatar or Di-gata are not objectively better than those shows. The much deeper plots are too hard to pass up.
I've seen cartoons like Rugrats, Ren & Stimpy, Courage, Magic school bus, etc and the bring back great memories. But even '10s cartoons like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe and SvTFoE blow them out of the water in plot/characters. Those times just had a higher volume of cartoons to choose from. I generally admire cartoons that have mass age group appeal and deep plots, regardless of era.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/13/15 at 10:50 am

While the aelry 00s had more good cartoons. You can't possibly say Avatar, Di-gata are not better than those shows. The way deeper plots are too hard to pass up.
I've seen cartoons like Rugrats, Ren & Stimpym, Courage, Magic school bus, etc and the bring back great memories. But even '10s cartoons like Gravity Falls, Steven Universe and SvTFoE blow them out of the water in plot/characters. Those times just had a higher volume of good cartoons and less crappy ones. I generally admire cartoons that have mass age group appeal and deep plots, regardless of era.

I'd say since 2010 up to now we've been in a silver age for cartoons on TV with the debuts of Adventure Time and Regular Show. I still think that the golden age of cartoons on TV was the late 80's with Ducktales and Little Mermaid (start of Disney Renaissance) all the way to the tail end of Nickelodeon's Klasky Csupo era and Cartoon Network's golden age (Powerhouse) in 2004.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/14/15 at 10:07 am

"Catscratch"

Catscratch is one of nicks highest rated shows. I'd backup on the critisisms there.

Written By: nally on 07/14/15 at 12:12 pm

I think they remade Looney Toons in the 00's.  ???

Yep...entitled "Looney Tunes Show", but it's just not the same as the original. The animation is different, for one thing.

Written By: Howard on 07/14/15 at 2:20 pm

Yep...entitled "Looney Tunes Show", but it's just not the same as the original. The animation is different, for one thing.

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/looneytunesshow/images/c/c0/El_show_de_los_looney_tunes.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120314161019

Written By: mqg96 on 07/14/15 at 5:12 pm

http://vignette3.wikia.nocookie.net/looneytunesshow/images/c/c0/El_show_de_los_looney_tunes.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20120314161019

That show was actually from 2011, it was alright and watchable, but compared to the original Looney Tunes it wasn't that good. Here are all the Looney Tunes intros that I remember seeing regularly during my time watching Cartoon Network. 

These 1st three are basically the same thing, just original Looney Tunes and Merrie Melodie shorts. Really the only difference was that the intros and titles of the shows were different. I honestly wasn't aware of this as a kid. Looney Tunes was just Looney Tunes to me. I vividly remember #2 & #3 clearly, the 1st one however, I barely remember vaguely though.

#1 iJ0BxU8CiJw #2 x07BOja7eog #3 _xJELjtGnoE

The only Looney Tunes spin-off of my time that I enjoyed was Duck Dodgers (2003), and I LOVED IT! I watched all of these from start to finish.
#4 xObWzaU7yh4

Baby Looney Tunes was my least favorite, not that I hated the show, I just disliked it. When it first came on around 2002 I watched many episodes then, but it was just really boring to me and NOTHING like the original Looney Tunes at all. I stopped watching it completely after 2003, even though it was still on Cartoon Network until late 2006. Which is surprising to me that it lasted for that many episodes.
#5 1CwMcDXiet4

Written By: yelimsexa on 07/15/15 at 10:40 am

In addition to those Looney Tunes intros, there was also two produced for Nickelodeon (1988 and 1992), along with many produced for network Saturday Morning TV. Some programs epmphasized certain charachters, for example The Sylvester & Tweety Show, The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour, and the Daffy Duck and Porky show. Since all of these were just repackaged onto TV, they were realitvely cheap and easy to produced, and tended to have a higher rate of recording during the early days of VCRs. That said, the earliest era (Bosko) was mostly shown on TBS or Nickelodeon during its earlier years.

That said, Boomerang is a fine channel for Looney Tunes, but of course it works best if you either buy DVDs or subscribe to a digital service such as Warner Archive.

With regards to '00s cartoons, you could literally spend months looking at Toonzone.net's archives from that decade just to chronicle every facet about the animation produced. That said, since I was in high school/college for the majority of that decade, I at the time felt "too grown up" for cartoons and didn't watch much except for a few adult cartoons. I might watch more of the '00s in the future, but since I am not nostalgic about that decade just yet, will wait a bit longer before delving deeply into it.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/16/15 at 7:45 pm

I actually liked 2000s cartoons. Even though I would say that 2009 was probably my least favorite of them all. Especially for the fact that we had Nickelodeon and Toon Disney changing into the sheesh that we know today. Although 2009 wasn't as bad as the 2010s, in my opinion. It could probably be the start of 2010s culture, with the new changes for TV and music. Although, I did enjoy 2009 and 2010, in my opinion.

Written By: nally on 07/16/15 at 10:49 pm

In addition to those Looney Tunes intros, there was also two produced for Nickelodeon (1988 and 1992), along with many produced for network Saturday Morning TV. Some programs epmphasized certain charachters, for example The Sylvester & Tweety Show, The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Hour, and the Daffy Duck and Porky show. Since all of these were just repackaged onto TV, they were realitvely cheap and easy to produced, and tended to have a higher rate of recording during the early days of VCRs. That said, the earliest era (Bosko) was mostly shown on TBS or Nickelodeon during its earlier years.

That said, Boomerang is a fine channel for Looney Tunes, but of course it works best if you either buy DVDs or subscribe to a digital service such as Warner Archive.

With regards to '00s cartoons, you could literally spend months looking at Toonzone.net's archives from that decade just to chronicle every facet about the animation produced. That said, since I was in high school/college for the majority of that decade, I at the time felt "too grown up" for cartoons and didn't watch much except for a few adult cartoons. I might watch more of the '00s in the future, but since I am not nostalgic about that decade just yet, will wait a bit longer before delving deeply into it.

I even remember when we got the Boomerang channel. It was decent when it we were first able to watch it, because it had many of the classic cartoon shows on it (such as Looney Tunes), and still does... but over time it has started showing the more recent shows. And it wasn't showing Looney Tunes very much anymore for a while. I think it's back there again now, but I haven't checked in a long time.

Written By: mqg96 on 07/16/15 at 11:12 pm

I even remember when we got the Boomerang channel. It was decent when it we were first able to watch it, because it had many of the classic cartoon shows on it (such as Looney Tunes), and still does... but over time it has started showing the more recent shows. And it wasn't showing Looney Tunes very much anymore for a while. I think it's back there again now, but I haven't checked in a long time.

Looney Tunes was actually taken off Boomerang in 2007 and didn't come back on until 2011, and before then it had already been gone off Cartoon Network since late 2004 but it returned around the same time as well. From 2007-2010ish there was literally no form of any original Looney Tunes shorts on TV for awhile. If you didn't have digital cable, then there was no Looney Tunes on TV for you after 2004. Since 2011 Looney Tunes have been back on Cartoon Network and Boomerang on the weekday mornings/afternoons. They don't show all of the shorts like they used to when all kinds of shorts from the respective directors and uncut scenes aired Cartoon Network throughout the early 2000's.

What I don't understand is why on earth was that in the mid 2000's for Cartoon Network and the late 2000's for Boomerang, classic Tom & Jerry, classic Scooby-Doo, and Looney Tunes spin-off shows like Duck Dodgers (even though I loved it) and Baby Looney Tunes stayed on the air for awhile, but the original Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodie shorts were gone off TV for a long time!? To this day it still scratches my head.

As for Boomerang, yeah over time especially starting around the early 2010's you started noticing less and less classic HB cartoons and MGM shorts and more new programming, but even then there was still more variety. Now the only classics shows airing Boomerang today are the commercialized franchise ones based off Looney Tunes, Tom & Jerry, & Scooby-Doo including its spin-off shows. There's hardly any Cartoon Cartoon reruns anymore either.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 10:49 am

Even with their rebrand, all they show for 90% of their scheduling was their recent shows that were still on Cartoon Network. They probably did that to get more kids into liking the channel, but nobody wants to have Boomerang showing cartoons from today. It was supposed to be a nostalgic channel.

Check for new replies or respond here...