inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who do people over look emo/scene culture when looking back at the 00s

Written By: 97er on 04/09/15 at 10:00 pm

I remember the whole emo fad of 2005-2008. A lot of people did it. I remember going to my brother's school and so many people dressing like that. When I think 00s, emo always comes to my head  yet people don't really talk about it.

Subject: Re: Who do people over look emo/scene culture when looking back at the 00s

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/09/15 at 11:57 pm

I remember the whole emo fad of 2005-2008. A lot of people did it. I remember going to my brother's school and so many people dressing like that. When I think 00s, emo always comes to my head  yet people don't really talk about it.

Oh they think about it, the problem is they don't want to talk about it. You see, once people leave their young adult years, they tend to regret and feel embarrassed about almost everything they liked in their teens/early 20's. Not enough time has passed for a 30 year old to look back fondly at their 20 year old self's culture. The Emos of the 2000s have now outgrown that phase (emo isn't around anymore). They probably don't want to admit to their "I'm so depressed I cut myself and I want to die while listening to My Chemical Romance" life phase. They cringe. They try to ignore it as much as possible!!

Subject: Re: Who do people over look emo/scene culture when looking back at the 00s

Written By: sonikuu on 04/24/15 at 11:04 pm

Oh they think about it, the problem is they don't want to talk about it. You see, once people leave their young adult years, they tend to regret and feel embarrassed about almost everything they liked in their teens/early 20's. Not enough time has passed for a 30 year old to look back fondly at their 20 year old self's culture. The Emos of the 2000s have now outgrown that phase (emo isn't around anymore). They probably don't want to admit to their "I'm so depressed I cut myself and I want to die while listening to My Chemical Romance" life phase. They cringe. They try to ignore it as much as possible!!

I would agree with this.  The backlash against Emo was pretty harsh and was well underway before the 00s were even finished.  It only figures that it wouldn't fade away so quickly, just like how the backlash against the hair bands of the 80s wasn't yet over by 1995.

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/25/15 at 6:07 am

Emo wasn't a thing at my school, but I've met a few. They were dirty for one, and not the best people in the world. Scene kids I've never met. And this is coming from someone who is a counter culture sympathizer. I know not all emos cut, have unstable personalities, nor are they all druggies, but those were some of my observations. Unless it was just about the music and fashion, IMO emo wouldn't be a phase to fondly look back on.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/25/15 at 12:16 pm

I don't.  In fact that is the first thing I think of when I look back at the '00s.  More scene than emo, but yeah it defined culture during the second half of the decade.  It was interesting because it was everywhere and then it went out of style very fast in 2009 and 2010. 

Typical late-2000s teenager

http://s3.favim.com/orig/39/boy-cute-hair-scene-sunglasses-Favim.com-324984.jpg

Written By: Howard on 04/25/15 at 5:34 pm

I don't.  In fact that is the first thing I think of when I look back at the '00s.  More scene than emo, but yeah it defined culture during the second half of the decade.  It was interesting because it was everywhere and then it went out of style very fast in 2009 and 2010. 

Typical late-2000s teenager

http://s3.favim.com/orig/39/boy-cute-hair-scene-sunglasses-Favim.com-324984.jpg

So emo is just sporting a lot of Bieber hair?

Written By: GH1996 on 04/26/15 at 12:36 am

Burner hair and tight jeans

Written By: Howard on 04/26/15 at 2:10 pm

Burner hair and tight jeans

What is burner hair?  ???

Written By: KatanaChick on 04/27/15 at 5:28 am

And wearing certain clothing, as seen there. He needs to pull his pants up.

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/27/15 at 9:34 am

it was longer and often black, but yeah Biebs made the cut obsolete.
Also checkered Vans and checkered everything

Written By: Howard on 04/27/15 at 1:25 pm

And wearing certain clothing, as seen there. He needs to pull his pants up.

That's today's generation. ::)

Written By: GH1996 on 04/28/15 at 11:41 pm

What is burner hair?  ???

Bieber**  :P

Written By: Slim95 on 04/29/15 at 1:44 am

I don't really think of it when I look back at the 00s because it wasn't important in my life. When I look back at the 00s I seem to think of the technological trends first because it is more relevant to me as I never really paid attention to fashion but was always using technology at a young age.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 04/29/15 at 1:53 am

Can you blame them?  ::)

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s78/AL-B_photos/boobs_zps5crrxj5c.jpg

8-P 8-P 8-P

Written By: bchris02 on 04/29/15 at 12:55 pm

it was longer and often black, but yeah Biebs made the cut obsolete.
Also checkered Vans and checkered everything

It was amazing that in the summer of 2009, prior to Bieber coming out, virtually every suburban white guy between ages 16 and 25 had that haircut.  In the summer of 2010 it was all but gone.

Written By: Howard on 04/29/15 at 1:33 pm

Didn't women wear this style too?

Written By: GH1996 on 05/03/15 at 1:54 am

I actually almost went over to that emo/scene look in 2007.

Only because a girl I liked dressed like that (all black clothing, skinny jeans, red high top converse, dark make up around the eyes + skulls on all the clothing).

I wonder how'd I'd dress now if I followed through with that..

Written By: Howard on 05/03/15 at 1:36 pm

http://images4.fanpop.com/image/photos/16700000/123-emo-girls-16792977-375-500.jpg

So the "emo style" is hair parted to one side? ???

Written By: Arrowstone on 05/05/15 at 3:58 pm

I won't forget it all though. 2005-2009 was the peak of my teenhood :-)

Some music:

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus
http://c3e308.medialib.glogster.com/media/93/93ee2fe3d4ba75a3a8abf60d24f4c1dbeebd95105ae22508a9a9da133d96ddab/the-red-jumpsuit-apparatus.jpg

AFI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YU4hhNKsPog

My Chemical Romance
http://www.amalgama-lab.com/pict/bands/songs/m/my_chemical_romance.jpg

also music like these; indie rock was big too in UK at least.

Arctic Monkeys as I remember them
http://www.clashmusic.com/sites/default/files/legacy/files/imagecache/big_node_view/files/images/Arctic%20Monkeys%20Cover.jpg

The Kooks
http://expresion.metro951.com/files/2011/10/TheKooks-03-big.jpg

White Lies. Love the song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGEjz12YLiM

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/11/15 at 8:44 pm

I know that this is true because I'm somewhat going through it myself. Now that I'm older, I look back on the some of the music I liked in high school (particularly crap like Nu Metal, and cheesy Post-Grunge bands like Creed) and wonder what the heck I was thinking. I wasn't into "Emo", but I had friends that were and they don't exactly seem eager to advertise that fact these days.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/11/15 at 8:52 pm

I know that this is true because I'm somewhat going through it myself. Now that I'm older, I look back on the some of the music I liked in high school (particularly crap like Nu Metal, and cheesy Post-Grunge bands like Creed) and wonder what the heck I was thinking. I wasn't into "Emo", but I had friends that were and they don't exactly seem eager to advertise that fact these days.

I have a few of those things that I look back on and think "what was I thinking" but I look back on most of it fondly.  I remember that in the time, it was cool and trendy.  I was never emo but I did have the shag haircut in 2008 and 2009.

Check for new replies or respond here...