inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you think TV hit its peak in 2005??

Written By: sonic2005 on 04/21/15 at 6:29 am

while there are still good tv shows out now I feel that television after 05 just declined dramatically for awhile (which I think due to the writers strike)

Subject: Re: Do you think TV hit its peak in 2005??

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 04/21/15 at 11:05 am

https://fiftyshadesofgelato.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/jackiechan_confused1.jpg

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/21/15 at 11:30 am

https://fiftyshadesofgelato.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/jackiechan_confused1.jpg

;D ;D I'm weak

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/21/15 at 11:31 am

2005 may be my favorite 2000s year, besides 2003 and 2001! but NO, I don't think 2005 was the peak of TV during this century, or the 00s decade.

Written By: bchris02 on 04/22/15 at 4:42 pm

More like 2007.

Shows like Prison Break, 24, House, The Office, all three CSIs, etc.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/23/15 at 1:01 am

Television has never peaked, it has always remained at a constant.

Written By: Shemp97 on 04/23/15 at 11:32 am

Always the voice of reason  ;D

Written By: Howard on 04/23/15 at 2:04 pm

That's true.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 04/24/15 at 9:56 am

I'm guessing this is what happens when no one bashes the 90s and 2000s. ???

Written By: 80sfan on 04/24/15 at 12:57 pm

I'm guessing this is what happens when no one bashes the 90s and 2000s. ???

You should have been here at the threads from 2003 to about 2009/2010, there was 00s bashing everywhere!!

Written By: 80sfan on 04/24/15 at 12:58 pm

Actually, TV is at one of its golden ages right now.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/24/15 at 3:07 pm

Actually, TV is at one of its golden ages right now.

I agree TV is at its second golden! :)

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/24/15 at 3:08 pm

You should have been here at the threads from 2003 to about 2009/2010, there was 00s bashing everywhere!!

Yes the 2000s backlash happened rather early

Written By: yelimsexa on 04/27/15 at 1:28 pm

Actually I feel that technology makes a good case for why TV "peaked" in 2005, not necessarily for the programming quality like you've been discussing, but for the importance of being the key medium in terms of programming, because that was the year that social media really became a household word. YouTube launched with other early streaming video sites around thanks to imporving technology and just in the past decade we can see that TV has become highly dependent on social media. In the later '90s and early '00s, TV and the Internet became increasingly dependent, but it was usually just a "for more information" or for more basical functions such as emailing with a few chat rooms. But despite this, you still felt that TV was worth watching thanks to the programming and that it still would deliver information like no place else could. Then came Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, and so many other "Apps" that many feel the future of programming and news comes online these days. Some video sites such as Netflix and Hulu now have their online exclusive series, meaning that there is no schedule required to tune in, but it still means that good programming is necessary to draw in the ratings. That said, there is far more options available on TV with certain multimedia deals then at any point, even if single channels tend to show many of the same shows over and over again. Numerous channels are their own radio stations, there are many more options for out-of-region sports and international channels; subchannels of the "main" broadcast network stations, and of course subchannels of the original cable brands. With so much choice though, from current series to an ever-expanding back catalog thanks to much better preservation and new DVD releases of classics, its tougher than ever to reach a big mainstream audience (not to say it doesn't happen, but of course when you look at the ratings of the top-rated shows, its proof of the diversity). You can even watch traditional broadcast channels online for free if you know where the look, meaning that you can still just "buy a monitor" and access free channels with the same package as the Internet service.

Check for new replies or respond here...