inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone else nostalgic for late 90s/early 00s Disney Channel?

Written By: winteriscoming on 04/30/15 at 3:15 pm

I really miss all the awesome Original Movies like Johnny Tsunami, Pixel Perfect, Halloweentown, and Zenon, to name a few that came out between 1998 and 2004. I also really liked shows like Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens but also older late 90s shows like The Famous Jett Jackson, The Jersey and So Weird.

It seems like Nickelodeon gets all the props for nostalgia but I gotta say, by 1999 I was starting to favor Disney Channel over Nick big time which was becoming kind of stupid with shows like Cousin Skeeter. I think Wild Thornberries was the last really good Nicktoon and that debuted in 1998. I do know Disney was not part of basic cable until around the year 2000 or so, so maybe that's why a lot of people my age don't seem to remember the old Disney shows.

I really think my Disney ended and jumped the shark when shows like Hannah Montana, Suite Life and That's So Raven made silly slapstick shows replace the more sincere sitcoms they used to have. Aside from Phineas and Ferb I'm not fond of anything Disney has made after 2004 and Kim Possible was probably their last good show aside from that.

Nowadays there's no difference between Disney and Nick. iCarly and Victorious could easily be Disney shows, and Dog With a Blog and Good Luck Charlie are identical to Nick's recent fare.

Subject: Re: Anyone else nostalgic for late 90s/early 00s Disney Channel?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 3:57 pm

I really miss all the awesome Original Movies like Johnny Tsunami, Pixel Perfect, Halloweentown, and Zenon, to name a few that came out between 1998 and 2004. I also really liked shows like Lizzie McGuire and Even Stevens but also older late 90s shows like The Famous Jett Jackson, The Jersey and So Weird.

Yes me too!! :) I'm 19 almost 20 and I'm slowly but surely getting nostalgic over the Zoog Disney era from my early childhood 1997-2001/02 with Jett Jackson,Bug Juice,Even Stevens,Fast Foward,So Weird Zoro reruns and the 2002-2005 Disney channel years as well with Kim Possible,That's so Raven, Phil of the Future, LILO and Stitch,EARLY Zack and Cody, Proud Family,American dragon jake long.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 4:03 pm

It seems like Nickelodeon gets all the props for nostalgia but I gotta say, by 1999 I was starting to favor Disney Channel over Nick big time which was becoming kind of stupid with shows like Cousin Skeeter. I think Wild Thornberries was the last really good Nicktoon and that debuted in 1998. I do know Disney was not part of basic cable until around the year 2000 or so, so maybe that's why a lot of people my age don't seem to remember the old Disney shows.

I really think my Disney ended and jumped the shark when shows like Hannah Montana, Suite Life and That's So Raven made silly slapstick shows replace the more sincere sitcoms they used to have. Aside from Phineas and Ferb I'm not fond of anything Disney has made after 2004 and Kim Possible was probably their last good show aside

Cartoon Network was the best out of all of them during the very late 90s and early 00s.
Disney Channel jumped the shark when hannah Montana and HSM premiered IMO so 06ish yeah.

Written By: winteriscoming on 04/30/15 at 4:04 pm

Cartoon Network was the best out of all of them during the very late 90s and early 00s.
Disney Channel jumped the shark when hannah Montana and HSM premiered IMO so 06ish yeah.

Oh yeah I forgot about Phil of the Future, that was pretty good. Shame it didn't last very long as that style was out by '06.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 4:13 pm

Oh yeah I forgot about Phil of the Future, that was pretty good. Shame it didn't last very long as that style was out by '06.

They also showed reruns of boy meets world and sister sister in the afternoons.

Written By: Shemp97 on 04/30/15 at 8:57 pm

I really think my Disney ended and jumped the shark when shows like Hannah Montana, Suite Life and That's So Raven made silly slapstick shows replace the more sincere sitcoms they used to have. Aside from Phineas and Ferb I'm not fond of anything Disney has made after 2004 and Kim Possible was probably their last good show aside from that.

What? Those shows are widely regarded as the definitive shows of Disney. When people think of Disney, they think of That's so Raven, Suite Life and Hannah Montana. I'll admit I didn't enjoy the last one but the others were golden. I don't get what you're going on about.

edit: Oh wait, did you omit some words form your post by accident?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 04/30/15 at 9:55 pm

What? Those shows are widely regarded as the definitive shows of Disney. When people think of Disney, they think of That's so Raven, Suite Life and Hannah Montana. I'll admit I didn't enjoy the last one but the others were golden. I don't get what you're going on about.

edit: Oh wait, did you omit some words form your post by accident?

He had probably outgrew Disney Channel by the time they came out in 2003 and 2005. I don't even know how old he is, but you were still pretty young when those shows premiered. I HATED Hannah Montana, but that came out when my kid culture was pretty much over with, around 06ish. I liked the first two seasons of Zack and Cody. But hell even by then I was even considered a big kid.

Written By: winteriscoming on 04/30/15 at 10:47 pm

He had probably outgrew Disney Channel by the time they came out in 2003 and 2005. I don't even know how old he is, but you were still pretty young when those shows premiered. I HATED Hannah Montana, but that came out when my kid culture was pretty much over with, around 06ish. I liked the first two seasons of Zack and Cody. But hell even by then I was even considered a big kid.

Yeah, I meant jump the shark in my personal opinion. I realize Disney had a lot more success when they switched over to the slapstick Hannah Montana style, but I never liked it.

Written By: yelimsexa on 05/01/15 at 7:34 am

Disney jumped when they became a "free" channel. I tend to be more nostalgic for '80s/early-mid '90s Disney because my family never got Disney when it was a pay channel, plus the variety of the programming appealed to everyone, from classic Disney shorts to the then-current Disney TV shows to classics such as The Mickey Mouse Club to Kids Incorporated to numerous movies (some hard to find nowadays) to behind-the-scenes features to DTV- MTV-style videos with a Disney clip accompayning it. Disney had a nighttime programming feature similar to Nick at Nite with movies, concerts, various special events such as at the theme parks, and even A Prairie Home Companion. It also showed numerous imports as well. Lizzie McGuire IMO was the bridge between the old school Disney Channel mentioned above the "tween girls" channel of That's So Raven and beyond. Becoming a free channel, this introduced commercials instead of special promos, allowed for a less intellectual demographic to obtain, and basically functioned like a traditional broadcast network. Most of the "teen" shows I enjoyed were actually when I was in later elementary school and into middle (junior high) as by then time I entered high school, I felt that most of the content found was stupid. 1983-1996 will always be the glory years I'll dwell on, with 1997-2000 being transitional.

A similar problem exists with Toon Disney (Jetix is to them to what Spongebob is to Nick), however I AM nostalgic for late '90s/early '00s Toon Disney. It also made my notion that anime was way too popular and saturated as soon as Jetix appeared in 2004, since before then it would show the classic Disney shorts, features, Disney Afternoon, and later Saturday Morning shows. Unfortunately I only got this in 2002 because it wasn't found in the basic cable package that our family had when it launched and really wanted it due to many of the classic Disney Shows I had watched growing up since we still didn't have the basic Disney Channel, and by the time we received it, its glory days were numbered. It changed its name to Disney xD in 2009 and shows basically a mix of anime and western comic book shows, though a better name for this network could have been "Jetix Toon Zone" or "JTZ".

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/01/15 at 10:52 am

A similar problem exists with Toon Disney (Jetix is to them to what Spongebob is to Nick), however I AM nostalgic for late '90s/early '00s Toon Disney. It also made my notion that anime was way too popular and saturated as soon as Jetix appeared in 2004, since before then it would show the classic Disney shorts, features, Disney Afternoon, and later Saturday Morning shows. Unfortunately I only got this in 2002 because it wasn't found in the basic cable package that our family had when it launched and really wanted it due to many of the classic Disney Shows I had watched growing up since we still didn't have the basic Disney Channel, and by the time we received it, its glory days were numbered. It changed its name to Disney xD in 2009 and shows basically a mix of anime and western comic book shows, though a better name for this network could have been "Jetix Toon Zone" or "JTZ".

I liked Jetix in the Mid 2000s as an older kid. Since Disney was starting to go in the girly direction 8-P, I had channel that catered to boys like me. 8) 8) But you're absolutely correct late 90s and early 2000s Toon Disney (when they showed Disney afternoon cartoons and Disney Saturday morning) was where it was at. Unfortunately I didn't get toon disney till 1st grade (02ish) :-[, so my Toon Disney experience last about 4 1/2 years, because I ALWAYS would go over to my cousin's house and watch it since he had toon disney since 1999.I was so jealous >:( ;D. so yeah between 1999-2003! It rocked!

Written By: nally on 05/01/15 at 10:54 am

I miss Toon Disney, as that channel aired all the classic half-hour animated Disney shows, a number of which were part of the "Disney Afternoon" cartoon block in the 90s. But I didn't get to watch it until the early 00s, when we first got cable television.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/02/15 at 11:12 am

I was a little old for Disney during the Zoog Disney era. My sister who was born in 1990 loved it.

I was more of a Nickelodeon person during the early/mid '90s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/02/15 at 4:37 pm

I was more of a Nickelodeon person during the early/mid '90s.

Nick and Fox Kids were THE networks of that era!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/02/15 at 4:38 pm

I was a little old for Disney during the Zoog Disney era. My sister who was born in 1990 loved it.

Wow, Just like how I outgrew Disney channel when HSM and Hannah Montana came out! ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/04/15 at 4:53 pm

Yes I am. It was a fascinating channel as it had diversity ranging from cartoons, classics and prime-time shows. It's a shame that DC has become terrible even for kids. I watched that channel so much that I can recall most of the shows from Playhouse Disney and its Zoog/Toon for the older audience. I stopped watching the channel sometime in 2004 as I was getting older and that some of the shows didn't appeal to me. However during the mid 00s era, I did watch the early episodes of Lilo & Stitch, Brandy & Mr. Whiskers, Zack & Cody, That's So Raven, American Dragon, Life with Derek and Dave the Barbarian but after that, I stopped watching it completely and way before HM premiered.

These are the DC logos I remember clearly.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140522221743/logopedia/images/7/71/Disney_Channel_1997.png

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121207051408/logopedia/images/3/38/Disney_Channel_2000.png

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130825195121/logopedia/images/7/78/Disney_Channel_ID_-_Zoog_Disney_Open.jpg

It seems this logo may have destroyed Diosney in the process.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110218220052/logopedia/images/7/7c/Disney_Channel_2002_alt.svg

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/04/15 at 6:00 pm

Yes I am. It was a fascinating channel as it had diversity ranging from cartoons, classics and prime-time shows. It's a shame that DC has become terrible even for kids. I watched that channel so much that I can recall most of the shows from Playhouse Disney and its Zoog/Toon for the older audience. I stopped watching the channel sometime in 2004 as I was getting older and that some of the shows didn't appeal to me. However during the mid 00s era, I did watch the early episodes of Lilo & Stitch, Brandy & Mr. Whiskers, Zack & Cody, That's So Raven, American Dragon, Life with Derek and Dave the Barbarian but after that, I stopped watching it completely and way before HM premiered.

These are the DC logos I remember clearly.

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140522221743/logopedia/images/7/71/Disney_Channel_1997.png

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20121207051408/logopedia/images/3/38/Disney_Channel_2000.png

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130825195121/logopedia/images/7/78/Disney_Channel_ID_-_Zoog_Disney_Open.jpg

It seems this logo may have destroyed Diosney in the process.

http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110218220052/logopedia/images/7/7c/Disney_Channel_2002_alt.svg

Most channels went to pot these days to be fair. I was never big on the Disney Channel, but did like the odd show here and there. I'd sometimes watch Pepper Ann, Recess, and the other One Saturday Morning shows I used to be gung ho about when they came on.

Nowadays there's no difference between Disney and Nick. iCarly and Victorious could easily be Disney shows, and Dog With a Blog and Good Luck Charlie are identical to Nick's recent fare.

Can't forget movies like Halloweentown! I loved that series, though it did go downhill when they made a third and fourth and Kimberly J. Brown wasn't in the last of them. Even Stevens. I was never into that one, but also didn't know at the time Shia LeBeof played one of the characters and we all know what a wreck he turned out to be. That seems common among child actors who were associated with Disney.  :-\\

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/05/15 at 4:06 pm

My childhood
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hpnd5Ogz1aM/UbZ2G6_VdII/AAAAAAAAAfo/ef-SD9Qd8b0/w800-h800/photo.jpg

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/05/15 at 4:10 pm

Here's more!
http://www.thepulpzine.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/zoog-disney.jpg

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/06/15 at 3:58 pm

Here's more!

Goof Troop used to come on in the morning, but we didn't have Disney Channel. I'd watch it all the time before school in the earlier years.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/06/15 at 6:55 pm

Most channels went to pot these days to be fair. I was never big on the Disney Channel, but did like the odd show here and there. I'd sometimes watch Pepper Ann, Recess, and the other One Saturday Morning shows I used to be gung ho about when they came on.

I agree. The channels are missing some elements today that made them awesome in the past. Whatever they were needs to be brought back. As for the shows you listed, I watched them all too and everyday they aired.

My childhood
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-hpnd5Ogz1aM/UbZ2G6_VdII/AAAAAAAAAfo/ef-SD9Qd8b0/w800-h800/photo.jpg

Awwww yeah!! Everything in the photos is what I watched all the time until either I got older or they disappeared. Some of them are now classics.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/07/15 at 12:56 pm

My kid culture ended approximately around the same time, '06-'07. After that I only really invested myself in maybe 1 or 2 cartoons(Avatar and Di-gata) and spent most of my time watching more "grownup" shows like Supernatural. I feel really left out when people roughly my age talk nostalgically about shows like Phineas & Ferb and Little Einstein because those shows debuted after I'd mostly left cartoons in the dust. I'd honestly take Hannah Montana any day over what she became now, but yeah, nobody really cared about that show.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/07/15 at 1:00 pm

Truly the Best channels to watch cartoon on were Teletoon & YTV. The former is pretty much purely '00s since it only formed in 1997, but tons of its original programming is considered classic today.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/07/15 at 1:17 pm

My kid culture ended approximately around the same time, '06-'07. After that I only really invested myself in maybe 1 or 2 cartoons(Avatar and Di-gata) and spent most of my time watching more "grownup" shows like Supernatural. I feel really left out when people roughly my age talk nostalgically about shows like Phineas & Ferb and Little Einstein because those shows debuted after I'd mostly left cartoons in the dust. I'd honestly take Hannah Montana any day over what she became now, but yeah, nobody really cared about that show.

Wow, 97ers are nostalgic for Phineas and Ferb? That's pretty stunning to hear!

Written By: shadowcookie on 05/10/15 at 11:22 pm

I do miss Lilo & Stitch and Lizzie McGuire. Phineas and Ferb seems like a very recent thing to me but I was already 12 when the first episode debuted. Even Emperor's New School seems quite recent in my mind. Emperor's New Groove, on the other hand..

Nobody ever remembers the Proud Family but I like that too. Never liked Even Stevens though.

Written By: fusefan on 05/11/15 at 1:13 am

Yeah, I miss late 90s Disney channel. Bug Juice was probably the first reality show I ever watched when I was 8.  I also liked the older Vault Disney stuff they used to play at night. I remember the "Mad Libs" game show that was on around 1999ish. And I also remember another game show called "Off The Wall" that aired around the same time too. BTW Does Anyone also remember these music video things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4h4zGrqWgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKOgO4kqx_Y

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/11/15 at 1:58 am

Yeah, I miss late 90s Disney channel. Bug Juice was probably the first reality show I ever watched when I was 8.  I also liked the older Vault Disney stuff they used to play at night. I remember the "Mad Libs" game show that was on around 1999ish. And I also remember another game show called "Off The Wall" that aired around the same time too. BTW Does Anyone also remember these music video things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l4h4zGrqWgM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jKOgO4kqx_Y

YES YES I do!!

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/11/15 at 2:49 pm

I do miss Lilo & Stitch and Lizzie McGuire. Phineas and Ferb seems like a very recent thing to me but I was already 12 when the first episode debuted. Even Emperor's New School seems quite recent in my mind. Emperor's New Groove, on the other hand..

Nobody ever remembers the Proud Family but I like that too. Never liked Even Stevens though.

I remember Proud Family, but was never into the show.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/11/15 at 8:12 pm

Disney jumped when they became a "free" channel. I tend to be more nostalgic for '80s/early-mid '90s Disney because my family never got Disney when it was a pay channel, plus the variety of the programming appealed to everyone, from classic Disney shorts to the then-current Disney TV shows to classics such as The Mickey Mouse Club to Kids Incorporated to numerous movies (some hard to find nowadays) to behind-the-scenes features to DTV- MTV-style videos with a Disney clip accompayning it. Disney had a nighttime programming feature similar to Nick at Nite with movies, concerts, various special events such as at the theme parks, and even A Prairie Home Companion. It also showed numerous imports as well. Lizzie McGuire IMO was the bridge between the old school Disney Channel mentioned above the "tween girls" channel of That's So Raven and beyond. Becoming a free channel, this introduced commercials instead of special promos, allowed for a less intellectual demographic to obtain, and basically functioned like a traditional broadcast network. Most of the "teen" shows I enjoyed were actually when I was in later elementary school and into middle (junior high) as by then time I entered high school, I felt that most of the content found was stupid. 1983-1996 will always be the glory years I'll dwell on, with 1997-2000 being transitional.

Great post, and it made me wonder how many people today even remember that The Disney Channel used to be a pay network?

My first exposure with The Disney Channel came in the early-to-mid '90s when promos trying to convince you to order it would air on the old Prevue Channel (another blast from the past!). I was a huge Mickey Mouse fan as a kid, and from the moment we first got cable I wanted my parents to add it to our package, but money was always tight back then so it didn't happen. When our cable provider finally added Disney to it's basic package in 1996, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I fondly remember watching classic stuff like The Ink and Paint Club, Mickey's Mouse Tracks, and Vault Disney. The Disney Afternoon was still appointment television at the time as well.

Having said all that, I do still find myself somewhat nostalgic for the "Zoog" era too, though. I didn't watch TDC as much by that point because I fashioned myself as being "too old", but I did watch some of the movies listed here. Particularly Brink! and Johnny Tsunami, both of which I liked alot.

Written By: Sita0 on 05/22/15 at 12:52 pm

When I was a kid I watched three main channels with any regularity on cable: Nick, Disney, and Cartoon Network. (I also did watch some saturday morning cartoons, and PBS, but anyway, these were my go-tos)

Some shows I remember off the top of my head from Disney (I'm pretty sure) include the House of Mouse, the Emperor's New School, Suite Life, That's So Raven (which later semi-transmuted into Cory in the House), Phil of the Future, Proud Family, etc. I did not enjoy Hannah Montana or High School Musical. Later on I watched Toon Disney as well (after getting digital cable tv) and that was pretty good, I remember them playing Power Rangers all the time IIRC.

I also liked some of the movies, my favorite that I can remember was Sky High.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/22/15 at 1:14 pm

I kind of miss early-mid 2000's Disney Channel. I have no memory of the late '90s, and the mid '00s (2004-2006) were the peak of my childhood.

After 2006 my interest in cartoons and children's television declined. I started watching more family television like Dancing With The Stars and American Idol. I was playing outside with my friends a lot in the late '00s, always doing adventurous things.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/22/15 at 1:19 pm

I kind of miss early-mid 2000's Disney Channel. I have no memory of the late '90s, and the mid '00s (2004-2006) were the peak of my childhood.

you don't remember 1999?!! Kids WB, Nick,Fox Kids,Zoog Disney, ABC Saturday morning, WWF attitude era, N64,teen pop, boy bands, Tarzan, Rugrats the Movie, Clinton's second term etc.  The early 2000s were the peak of my childhood though man,Rugrats in paris movie,yu gi oh, Beyblade, DBZ,Treasure planet,Emperors new groove,Dina-sours,Monsters Inc.,Finding Nemo, PS2, Bush's first term,Toonmai TOM 2, Lord of the Rings,Harry Potter 1 and 2, Spiderman and X-Men etc. c.!! the mid 2000s years were my older kid years, Bush's reelection, Cartoon Network city era, PS2 slim,Teen nick, Disney channel,The Incredibles, Cars etc. !! MY memory goes back to 1998! Jeez, I'm only a month or two older than you AT BEST!

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/22/15 at 1:35 pm

I only have one memory from the '90s: my third birthday in late 1998. That is my earliest memory.

My second earliest memory goes back to 2000. My memory gets more active from that year onwards.

I remember Kids WB, Nickelodeon, Fox Kids, and ABC saturday morning back then. I don't remember Zoog Disney, and teen pop is very vague. I remember seeing N' Sync and Destiny's Child on TV during a "NOW! That's What I Call Music" commercial. My sister had a bunch of posters of princess idols and male dreamboats on her walls, practically covering her room. I was never interested in wrestling, I remember seeing a Nintendo 64 in the very early 2000's at a day care I used to go to before Kindergarten started, and I remember seeing Tarzan and Rugrats the Movie on VCR.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/22/15 at 1:46 pm

I only have one memory from the '90s: my third birthday in late 1998. That is my earliest memory.

My second earliest memory goes back to 2000. My memory gets more active from that year onwards.

I remember Kids WB, Nickelodeon, Fox Kids, and ABC saturday morning back then. I don't remember Zoog Disney, and teen pop is very vague. I remember seeing N' Sync and Destiny's Child on TV during a "NOW! That's What I Call Music" commercial. My sister had a bunch of posters of princess idols and male dreamboats on her walls, practically covering her room. I was never interested in wrestling, I remember seeing a Nintendo 64 in the very early 2000's at a day care I used to go to before Kindergarten started, and I remember seeing Tarzan and Rugrats the Movie on VCR.

Yeah late 1999 and onward my memory is active from there on! In the mid 2000s I moved to the suburbs and when I turned 9 in 2004 my interests were noticeably beginning to change; So that's the reason why I consider the early 2000s were the peak of my childhood and not the mid 2000s!!  Becuase I would listen to the music from millennium era late 1998 until 2001! But when music got gritty again in the early 2000s my parents would not allow me to listen to the glam and bling bling rap music at the time! I would catch rock and r&b on tv though! In the early 2000s; from age 6-8, I listened to jazz and Bossa Nova mostly. And Radio Disney too!

Written By: nally on 05/22/15 at 3:39 pm

I kind of miss early-mid 2000's Disney Channel.

It was sometime around then when I began watching it somewhat regularly. I was in my mid-20s then, but I still found sitcoms such as Suite Life and That's So Raven interesting in one way or another.

After 2006 my interest in cartoons and children's television declined. I started watching more family television like Dancing With The Stars and American Idol. I was playing outside with my friends a lot in the late '00s, always doing adventurous things.

My initial interest in children's TV lasted until I was about 12 or so (for me that was in the early 1990s); when I entered junior high I was focusing more on my schoolwork and not watching much TV (except for programs like Full House and Family Matters, which were still in production but I was watching only sporadically).

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/22/15 at 7:35 pm

2006 was THE year I lost interest in kids shows!!

Written By: mqg96 on 05/28/15 at 8:34 am

Disney Channel wasn't one of my favorites growing up, because a lot of their shows seemed to go for more of a female audience, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the shows they were all really great at the time, but I was more of a Cartoon Network, Toon Disney/Jetix, and Nickelodeon person. The reason I know a lot about the channel is because of the sisters and female cousins in my family who really loved it. The first era I get nostalgic for is the Playhouse Disney 1999-2001 era with Bear in the Big Blue House, PB&J Otter, Out of the Box, Rolie Polie Olie, Madeline, New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Little Mermaid (TV series), and Stanley (the last Playhouse Disney show I watched).

Then of course, I favor the Zoog Disney/Classic Disney Channel era from 2000-2005. I do have some memories of Zoog Disney, because I remember when I was 5 1/2 being with my cousins seeing Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, Proud Family (when it had just started), and reruns of Doug (Disney version) & Pepper Ann were on the weekday afternoon lineup from late 2001-2002ish or so. Then around late 2002 the network changed their logo but it was still good, then throughout 2003-2005, we got Kim Possible, That's So Raven, Phil of the Future, Dave the Barbarian, Lilo & Stitch: the Series, Suite Life of Zack & Cody (original hotel), American Dragon Jake Long, and some more. I also liked the classic Disney Channel original movies when they didn't need to have a big star in there and the plots were so original. 2006 was the transitional year for Disney Channel when the network went through a huge change imo, the debuts of Hannah Montana and HSM was the start of a new generation and that's when I lost interest altogether. My younger sister still loved the channel, that's the only reason why I know more about it.

I was more of a Toon Disney/Jetix person. I didn't start watching the network until 2001, but I preferred the 1998-2004 period when Jetix wasn't around yet, that's when the network was at its best with reruns of Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning shows like House of Mouse, Gargoyles, Recess, Timon & Pumbaa, Goof Troop, Hercules: TAS, Ducktales, Aladdin, Darkwing Duck, The Legend of Tarzan, Filmore, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Weekenders, 101 Dalmations: The Series, The Little Mermaid, Pepper Ann, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers, Sabrina: TAS (1999), TaleSpin, Teacher's Pet, and much more! It was awesome, and I loved the blocks it had like Toon Disney Friday Night Movie & Big Movie Show that would show all classic Disney cartoon movies from the beginning all the way through the Renaissance Age, and certain Pixar movies were played on there as well. I liked the Princess Power Hour, Hangin' with the Heroes, and Chillin' with the Villains blocks they had as well which would relate to the characters depending on what show they'd come from.

For Jetix, I loved reruns of Marvel & DC shows like Spiderman: TAS, X-Men: TAS, The Incredible Hulk (1996 TV series), Batman: TAS, then you had other great shows like Ying Yang Yo, Power Ranger Dino Thunder, W.I.T.C.H., and Digimon. My biggest gripe with Jetix was that it started getting rid of classic Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning shows, and by 2006 or so, 90% of the network was consumed by Jetix, and 10% of the only Toon Disney left was basically current run Disney Channel cartoons. By 2008 Toon Disney was basically marathons of Phineas & Ferb and Suite Life of Zack & Cody (on a TOON disney!?), and the network was pretty much dead. So Jetix was great and all but it should've been its own channel imo.

Written By: nally on 05/28/15 at 11:18 am

^ Yeah, not too long after P&F and Z&C were shown on TOON Disney is when it was replaced by Disney XD. :-\\

Written By: mqg96 on 05/28/15 at 12:08 pm

^ Yeah, not too long after P&F and Z&C were shown on TOON Disney is when it was replaced by Disney XD. :-\\

Yeah, that really did stunk lol, now here are some of my most memorable moments from Toon Disney.

around the time I started watching the channel around 2001 - mid 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DpKg8AKOCw

these bumpers were used from late 2002 - early 2004 (which was my favorite era)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=bBfmmuwLUlI

I still watched it a lot throughout 2004-2006 and I loved the Jetix shows as well, despite it taking up too much of Toon Disney's space  :-\\ but this will always be my favorite logo.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150403213429/disney/images/2/2e/TD2001.png

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/28/15 at 12:34 pm

Yeah, that really did stunk lol, now here are some of my most memorable moments from Toon Disney.

around the time I started watching the channel around 2001 - mid 2002
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DpKg8AKOCw

these bumpers were used from late 2002 - early 2004 (which was my favorite era)
https://youtube.com/watch?v=bBfmmuwLUlI

I still watched it a lot throughout 2004-2006 and I loved the Jetix shows as well, despite it taking up too much of Toon Disney's space  :-\\ but this will always be my favorite logo.
http://img1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20150403213429/disney/images/2/2e/TD2001.png

I did not get Toon Disney until 2002/03ish when I was in 1st grade!! 1998-2002 I was a Nick, CN/Toonami, Kids WB,Fox Kids, PBS kids, and Zoog Disney/ABC one Saturday morning kid! I basically watched all the kids networks! during the late 90s and early-mid 00s

Written By: mqg96 on 05/28/15 at 1:14 pm

I did not get Toon Disney until 2002/03ish when I was in 1st grade!! 1998-2002 I was a Nick, CN/Toonami, Kids WB,Fox Kids, PBS kids, and Zoog Disney/ABC one Saturday morning kid! I basically watched all the kids networks! during the late 90s and early-mid 00s

I see, so I was in the same grade as you at the time, at least you got to experience 1 full year of Toon Disney when it was still old Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning shows only, and yeah early 2000's Cartoon Network amazing, especially 2002 Cartoon Network that was the best year imo, especially that summer because I remember every day watching Toonami when TOM 2 was still around with Hamtaro, Batman Beyond, Dragon Ball, and DBZ, and then you'd cap off the night with classic Scooby-Doo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Ed, Edd n Eddy on primetime. I also remember coming back home each Friday from Kindergarten and 1st grade to catch Cartoon Cartoon Fridays as well. Samurai Jack, He-Man (2002), and Justice League were my favorite action shows around the time. I miss the old checkerboard logo they used to have, Summer 2001 through Spring 2004 will always be my favorite period for Cartoon Network.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/28/15 at 1:40 pm

I see, so I was in the same grade as you at the time, at least you got to experience 1 full year of Toon Disney when it was still old Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning shows only, and yeah early 2000's Cartoon Network amazing, especially 2002 Cartoon Network that was the best year imo, especially that summer because I remember every day watching Toonami when TOM 2 was still around with Hamtaro, Batman Beyond, Dragon Ball, and DBZ, and then you'd cap off the night with classic Scooby-Doo, Courage the Cowardly Dog, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, and Ed, Edd n Eddy on primetime. I also remember coming back home each Friday from Kindergarten and 1st grade to catch Cartoon Cartoon Fridays as well. Samurai Jack, He-Man (2002), and Justice League were my favorite action shows around the time. I miss the old checkerboard logo they used to have, Summer 2001 through Spring 2004 will always be my favorite period for Cartoon Network.

During the 1998-2001 millennium period when I believe our kid culture started! 1998/99 school year, right before I started preschool was when I started watching Zoog Disney, playhouse Disney, kids WB, Nickelodeon and Nick Jr, and of course PBS Kids! At night time tough before I was tucked in I'd watch the Disney, Warner Bros, and EARLY dreamworks movies!!
I didn't start watching CN/Toonami until 2000/01 when we were in pre K when DBZ was showing the cell saga!! :D :D  I  started watching Ed Edd n Eddy, Powerpuff Girls,Time Squad, Johnny Bravo, and Dexter's lab in the normal block!! I was forever hooked!!

But still during my early childhood years(1998-2001) Nick was my favorite; Rugrats, Rocket power, Wild Thornberriers, Angry beavers, Amanda show, Keenan and Kel, All That,Spongebob, cat dog, and Hey Arnold!! etc. Cartoon Network became my favorite in 1st grade(02-03)!
Pre k-2nd grade! (2000- late 2003/early 04ish) will be my favorite time for CN!!

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/03/15 at 2:21 pm

Disney Channel wasn't one of my favorites growing up, because a lot of their shows seemed to go for more of a female audience, doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the shows they were all really great at the time, but I was more of a Cartoon Network, Toon Disney/Jetix, and Nickelodeon person. The reason I know a lot about the channel is because of the sisters and female cousins in my family who really loved it. The first era I get nostalgic for is the Playhouse Disney 1999-2001 era with Bear in the Big Blue House, PB&J Otter, Out of the Box, Rolie Polie Olie, Madeline, New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, Little Mermaid (TV series), and Stanley (the last Playhouse Disney show I watched).

Then of course, I favor the Zoog Disney/Classic Disney Channel era from 2000-2005. I do have some memories of Zoog Disney, because I remember when I was 5 1/2 being with my cousins seeing Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, Proud Family (when it had just started), and reruns of Doug (Disney version) & Pepper Ann were on the weekday afternoon lineup from late 2001-2002ish or so. Then around late 2002 the network changed their logo but it was still good, then throughout 2003-2005, we got Kim Possible, That's So Raven, Phil of the Future, Dave the Barbarian, Lilo & Stitch: the Series, Suite Life of Zack & Cody (original hotel), American Dragon Jake Long, and some more. I also liked the classic Disney Channel original movies when they didn't need to have a big star in there and the plots were so original. 2006 was the transitional year for Disney Channel when the network went through a huge change imo, the debuts of Hannah Montana and HSM was the start of a new generation and that's when I lost interest altogether. My younger sister still loved the channel, that's the only reason why I know more about it.

I was more of a Toon Disney/Jetix person. I didn't start watching the network until 2001, but I preferred the 1998-2004 period when Jetix wasn't around yet, that's when the network was at its best with reruns of Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning shows like House of Mouse, Gargoyles, Recess, Timon & Pumbaa, Goof Troop, Hercules: TAS, Ducktales, Aladdin, Darkwing Duck, The Legend of Tarzan, Filmore, The New Adventures of Winnie the Pooh, The Weekenders, 101 Dalmations: The Series, The Little Mermaid, Pepper Ann, Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, Chip n' Dale Rescue Rangers, Sabrina: TAS (1999), TaleSpin, Teacher's Pet, and much more! It was awesome, and I loved the blocks it had like Toon Disney Friday Night Movie & Big Movie Show that would show all classic Disney cartoon movies from the beginning all the way through the Renaissance Age, and certain Pixar movies were played on there as well. I liked the Princess Power Hour, Hangin' with the Heroes, and Chillin' with the Villains blocks they had as well which would relate to the characters depending on what show they'd come from.

For Jetix, I loved reruns of Marvel & DC shows like Spiderman: TAS, X-Men: TAS, The Incredible Hulk (1996 TV series), Batman: TAS, then you had other great shows like Ying Yang Yo, Power Ranger Dino Thunder, W.I.T.C.H., and Digimon. My biggest gripe with Jetix was that it started getting rid of classic Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning shows, and by 2006 or so, 90% of the network was consumed by Jetix, and 10% of the only Toon Disney left was basically current run Disney Channel cartoons. By 2008 Toon Disney was basically marathons of Phineas & Ferb and Suite Life of Zack & Cody (on a TOON disney!?), and the network was pretty much dead. So Jetix was great and all but it should've been its own channel imo.

Yeah I agree with the first post. I usually watched Disney Channel with my female cousins. I think I first watched at my cousins when I was like 5 years old, but when I got cable I rarely watched it unless my female cousins or friends were over. However I do remember the Zoog Era pretty well though and it does bring back some nostalgia from that time. I also felt that the DCOMS from that era were the best all around, Halloweentown, Brink, Johnny Tsunami (need I say more?). I think around 2003/4 is when the DCOMS started to decline in all honesty. Plus many of the Zoog Era classics like The Famous Jett Jackson, So Weird, Lizzie McGuire, Even Stevens, reruns of Recess, Doug, Pepper Ann, Boy Meets World, Smart Guy, & Sister Sister. So yeah the Zoog Era of 1997-2002 & the early modern era of 2002-2005 are great childhood memories from my early and peak years!

From what I could remember from the channel:

a7BkEDo9a4Y&spfreload=10

GGj2GX4sZNA

FOEPGJ1NlN0

51NUYR6T9qY

c93BitTVoNI

sGzeGXvznuU

K9nA3JtCMkQ

g7M7ftQspHg

Anyways on the second post; yeah when we got cable in late 2001, one of the first channels I remember discovering for the first time was Toon Disney. That channel was BOSS back in the day. Reruns of Disney Afternoon & ABC cartoons, new cartoons at the time, animated movies every friday night, classic Walt Disney Shorts, etc. I vividly remember everyday after Kindergarten coming home, doing my homework, making a PB&J sandwich and watching Kids WB or Cartoon Network's Toonami for action shows at around 5:00 or 5:30, then watching Nickelodeon around 6:00 or 6:30, then around 7:00 or 7:30 (right before my bed time as a kid) watch Toon Disney, Of course there was exceptions to the rule, but those days sure bring me back. Speaking about Toon Disney nostalgia I discovered this forum board with a list of schedules of Toon Disney from around mid 1999 to about late 2004 (right before they cancelled alot of their shows to make way for more Jetix shows)

Here's the link:

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/toon-disney-nostalgia-thread.4559081/

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 09/04/15 at 4:21 pm

Anyways on the second post; yeah when we got cable in late 2001, one of the first channels I remember discovering for the first time was Toon Disney. That channel was BOSS back in the day. Reruns of Disney Afternoon & ABC cartoons, new cartoons at the time, animated movies every friday night, classic Walt Disney Shorts, etc. I vividly remember everyday after Kindergarten coming home, doing my homework, making a PB&J sandwich and watching Kids WB or Cartoon Network's Toonami for action shows at around 5:00 or 5:30, then watching Nickelodeon around 6:00 or 6:30, then around 7:00 or 7:30 (right before my bed time as a kid) watch Toon Disney, Of course there was exceptions to the rule, but those days sure bring me back. Speaking about Toon Disney nostalgia I discovered this forum board with a list of schedules of Toon Disney from around mid 1999 to about late 2004 (right before they cancelled alot of their shows to make way for more Jetix shows)

Here's the link:

http://www.toonzone.net/forums/threads/toon-disney-nostalgia-thread.4559081/

I loved Toon Disney back in the late '90s. By that point, The Disney Channel didn't show my favorite shows from earlier in the decade that much anymore (like Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Goof Troop, Ducktales, etc.) and I thought it was awesome to be able to see that stuff regularly again. Not to mention the rarer shows (like Moo Mesa) that had really never been in syndication. Unfortunately, we didn't get that channel on our cable, so the only chance I got to watch was over at the house of a friend who's parents had Primestar. Needless to say, I visited often.

We finally got Toon Disney in 2002 when we signed up for Directv, and I started watching it basically every day as a guilty pleasure, even though by that point I generally considered myself "too old" to watch cartoons. I remember being really upset when the lineup got revamped in 2004, as it has basically knocked all of my favorite '90s Disney toons off television for good.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 09/04/15 at 4:26 pm

I would say that I would be nostalgic for early-mid 2000s Playhouse Disney, along with Toon Disney, since I really loved watching Bear in the Big Blue House in the early 2000s, while I loved watching Brady and Mr. Whiskers, Pucca, Yin Yang Yo, Lilo & Stitch: The Series and the Buzz Lightyear show. Those shows were awesome.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/04/15 at 4:33 pm

I loved Toon Disney back in the late '90s. By that point, The Disney Channel didn't show my favorite shows from earlier in the decade that much anymore (like Darkwing Duck, Talespin, Goof Troop, Ducktales, etc.) and I thought it was awesome to be able to see that stuff regularly again. Not to mention the rarer shows (like Moo Mesa) that had really never been in syndication. Unfortunately, we didn't get that channel on our cable, so the only chance I got to watch was over at the house of a friend who's parents had Primestar. Needless to say, I visited often.

We finally got Toon Disney in 2002 when we signed up for Directv, and I started watching it basically every day as a guilty pleasure, even though by that point I generally considered myself "too old" to watch cartoons. I remember being really upset when the lineup got revamped in 2004, as it has basically knocked all of my favorite '90s Disney toons off television for good.

Jetix debuted in February 2004, and when it first came out it only came on during the weeknights at 8pm and throughout most of the year Toon Disney was still filled with classic reruns, however, as the year went on Jetix got more popular and by Fall 2004 Jetix started getting filled up on extra hour time-slots rather than just weeknights, and most of the classic Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning cartoon reruns were taken off the air permanently. Throughout the rest of Toon Disney's run Jetix would consume more of the schedule while the rest of Toon Disney's programming was predominantly Disney Channel original cartoons that were currently running on Disney Channel itself. You still had some Disney Afternoon/One Saturday Morning reruns like House of Mouse, Recess, Timon & Pumba, and Aladdin but most of the others were hardly there anymore. I still liked Jetix for the Marvel & DC cartoon reruns from the 90's and some of the Power Ranger shows, but it just took away most of the magic Toon Disney used to have from 1998-2003. Any of these bumpers look familiar to you? This is Toon Disney's 2nd era rebrand look from 2002-2004 which was personally my favorite.

bBfmmuwLUlI

Check for new replies or respond here...