inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When did you get broadband Internet access?

Written By: bchris02 on 05/06/15 at 2:44 pm

What year did you switch from dial-up access to broadband?  For me, 2004 was the year but I lived out in the country where I didn't have it available any sooner.

Subject: Re: When did you get broadband Internet access?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/06/15 at 3:16 pm

In Germany:

It was available since about 1999 in urban areas, but since I live in a rural era, I didn't get it in my street before October 2004. Before that, I had digital dial-up, which was 64K (or 128K, if you blocked two telephone lines). I never had classic 56K dial-up.

Written By: Fearsword on 05/06/15 at 3:18 pm

February 2006 :).

Written By: Howard on 05/06/15 at 3:19 pm

I think it was about 2000 and up. ???

Written By: Arrowstone on 05/06/15 at 3:26 pm

I believe it was 2003, because I have memories of dial-up until 2002.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/06/15 at 3:59 pm

2012 we finally got cable internet, so very very late.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/06/15 at 4:15 pm

2012 we finally got cable internet, so very very late.

What did you use before? Dial-up?

Written By: nally on 05/06/15 at 7:30 pm

I believe it was 2003, because I have memories of dial-up until 2002.

That was around the time we started using broadband as well. Prior to then, we only used dial-up.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/06/15 at 7:31 pm

2011 I think, or 2005/06

Written By: Slim95 on 05/07/15 at 12:25 am

I don't remember I was too young. Sometime after 2000 but before 2005 I think.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/07/15 at 12:49 pm

2008. Internet was still slow though and I still frequently saw the buffer screen on youtube. I had dial-up recently enough to try watching Youtube videos with it and all I can say is it was actually better than Wi-Fi at the time.

Written By: Catherine91UK on 05/07/15 at 2:18 pm

May 2005, so exactly 10 years ago!

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/07/15 at 2:33 pm

2004, like most Americans.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/07/15 at 5:15 pm

What did you use before? Dial-up?

Yes, it's what we could afford in the 2000's, but in the 10's there really wasn't an excuse.

Written By: fusefan on 05/08/15 at 1:54 pm

Technically August of 2004. Then my mom cancelled it in October of that year because we were moving to a different house and she couldn't afford it for a while. So I had to put up with Dial Up for another year until October of 2005  when we got it back and I have never been back to dial up since.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/08/15 at 1:55 pm

2004 just before I started a university home computer course.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/08/15 at 2:51 pm

Yes, it's what we could afford in the 2000's

I always thought, dial-up was more expensive than broadband. Or was it cheaper in the US?
In Germany, you had to pay for every minute. Flat rates for dial-up were rare (and also extremely expensive).

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/09/15 at 7:56 pm

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/11/15 at 12:00 pm

I always thought, dial-up was more expensive than broadband. Or was it cheaper in the US?
In Germany, you had to pay for every minute. Flat rates for dial-up were rare (and also extremely expensive).

Even though early providers like CompuServe and Prodigy were originally pay-by-the-hour, I'm pretty sure flat rate pricing for internet access had become the norm in the U.S. by the early '00s. I know that when my family finally got the internet in the Spring of 2000, it was through a small, local provider that offered a flat monthly rate.

As far as broadband/DSL, we were fairly late to party on that. My parents didn't upgrade to broadband until June 2006, by which time the "Summer of YouTube" was already in full swing. The result of this was that for the first six months I was aware of YouTube, I actually had to watch the videos on a substandard dial-up connection. I'd have to wait nearly 30 minutes just to be able to stream a 3 minute song. :P

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/11/15 at 1:39 pm

Even though early providers like CompuServe and Prodigy were originally pay-by-the-hour, I'm pretty sure flat rate pricing for internet access had become the norm in the U.S. by the early '00s. I know that when my family finally got the internet in the Spring of 2000, it was through a small, local provider that offered a flat monthly rate.

As far as broadband/DSL, we were fairly late to party on that. My parents didn't upgrade to broadband until June 2006, by which time the "Summer of YouTube" was already in full swing. The result of this was that for the first six months I was aware of YouTube, I actually had to watch the videos on a substandard dial-up connection. I'd have to wait nearly 30 minutes just to be able to stream a 3 minute song. :P

Lol! My dial-up was not that slow. Thats how long it took for me on Wi-fi.

Written By: Howard on 05/11/15 at 2:49 pm

I'd have to wait nearly 30 minutes just to be able to stream a 3 minute song

Now that's slow! :o

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 05/11/15 at 6:19 pm

Lol! My dial-up was not that slow. Thats how long it took for me on Wi-fi.

We lived in the middle of nowhere at the time, so our only option was to get an extremely cut-rate dial-up service that was lucky if it could hit 30kb/s most of the time. I remember that one of the first videos I ever watched on YouTube was a full length film (this was in the days before the original 10 minute time limit had been put in place) and it took literally hours for the video to load far enough so that I could watch it without interruption.

Actually, before the Summer of '06, it became routine for me that if I wanted to watch a long video on YT I would set up the page so that the video was loading while I went to work, and then I would watch it in the afternoon when I got home. ;D

Written By: mqg96 on 05/28/15 at 9:31 am

I think it was 2002 for us, so our family got it pretty early compared to most of the posts here.

Written By: Shemp97 on 05/28/15 at 10:22 am

I remember that one of the first videos I ever watched on YouTube was a full length film (this was in the days before the original 10 minute time limit had been put in place)

Really? I started watching Youtube in approximately '07 and there was a 10 minute time limit that I think you as an uploader had to pay to get around. It made it impossible to watch Goosebumps episodes online, coupled with the fact that Youtube felt pretty barren at the time for content. As far as I know, they removed the limit since '09 or '10.

Written By: Howard on 05/28/15 at 3:42 pm

Really? I started watching Youtube in approximately '07 and there was a 10 minute time limit that I think you as an uploader had to pay to get around. It made it impossible to watch Goosebumps episodes online, coupled with the fact that Youtube felt pretty barren at the time for content. As far as I know, they removed the limit since '09 or '10.

I remember watching YouTube in 2006.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/16/15 at 10:29 pm

Around 2004, maybe. I was only three and a half when I started using the Internet and that was in 2003.

Check for new replies or respond here...