inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2006 Appreciation Forum

Written By: dankishinky on 05/25/15 at 3:09 am

Hey! My favorite year full of memories was in the year 2006, so i figured it would be cool if everyone could share memories from this year! Anything is welcome as long as it's not hateful or hurtful to others  ;D

Subject: Re: 2006 Appreciation Forum

Written By: Fearsword on 05/25/15 at 3:52 am

Pretty good year for me

Personal
. I started Middle school that year
. Started playing Runescape(quit in 2013)
. Upgraded from Dial-up to broadband
. Attended the Commonwealth games in Melbourne
. Watched Australia make the last 16 of the World Cup
. Played an Auskick AFL game at half time on the MCG
. PS1 broke :(
. Had just been picked up from school when I heard the news Steve Irwin died :(

Pop culture
. First year with no 90s influence whatsoever
. Songs like "Bad Day", "Rock this party"and "Sexyback" were ubitiquous on the radio
. High School musical was all the rage at my school. "What I've been looking for" was like the "Let it go" of 2006.
. Steve Irwin and Peter Brock died :(
. Jonas Brothers and Miley Cyrus debut
. First sign of 2010s influence
. Peak of emo

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/25/15 at 4:37 am

Any year or decade is good when you are blessed with God's Gracious Gift of being alive.

Written By: the2001 on 05/25/15 at 2:41 pm

Hey! My favorite year full of memories was in the year 2006, so i figured it would be cool if everyone could share memories from this year! Anything is welcome as long as it's not hateful or hurtful to others  ;D

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/126/329184169_1042e83abe_z.jpg?zz=1

http://farm1.staticflickr.com/49/178319297_d9462104b1_o.jpg

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2014/1784344256_dbd541fecd_b.jpg

Written By: the2001 on 05/25/15 at 2:42 pm

http://i.imgur.com/QmCWsYu.jpg

Written By: the2001 on 05/25/15 at 2:44 pm

Full TRL episode from 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IC-87UVyD8

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/25/15 at 3:41 pm

Pretty good year for me

Personal

Pop culture
. Songs like "Bad Day", "Rock this party"and "Sexyback" were ubitiquous on the radio
. High School musical was all the rage at my school. "What I've been looking for" was like the "Let it go" of 2006.
. Peak of emo

first year of no early 2000s influences NOT 90s!!

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/25/15 at 3:56 pm

It was a Great time to be a alive; BUT many things came to an end that year! So it's kinda bittersweet to celebrate 06!
Sixth generation gaming (PS2/GCN/Xbox).
Re-runs of 90s shows on CN and Disney Channel
shows like That '70s Show, Charmed, and Malcolm in the Middle,The West Wing, Alias, Will&Grace, Everwood, Bernie Mac Show
MNF on ABC
original ABC sports
WWE Raw and Smackdown's logos and entrances
Paul Tagliabue as NFL commissioner
Funimation dubbing DBZ
WB became CW
Roger Ebert left At the Movies
TV Land strictly showing OLD SHOWS
ABC family just being family orientated
old style NBA on ABC

Written By: 80sfan on 05/25/15 at 5:21 pm

Any year or decade is good when you are blessed with God's Gracious Gift of being alive.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS5LMqp4ClWuK-PRDlFTM2tmOGZ-Bgs87vt7CIErIc_Ndceq2M1

Written By: Slim95 on 05/26/15 at 1:11 am

I miss 2006.  :(

Written By: sonic2005 on 05/26/15 at 10:20 am

first year of no early 2000s influences NOT 90s!!

2006 was like the end of an era it was ending the classic era of the 00s and shaping the present day tech era we're in now!!!

Written By: the2001 on 05/26/15 at 1:41 pm

It was a Great time to be a alive; BUT many things came to an end that year! So it's kinda bittersweet to celebrate 06!
shows like That '70s Show, Charmed, and Malcolm in the Middle,The West Wing, Alias, Will&Grace, Everwood, Bernie Mac Show
MNF on ABC
original ABC sports
Funimation dubbing DBZ
WB became CW
old style NBA on ABC

so in a way 2006 set up for what was to happen in 2008

2006 did end alot of things, it was like an explanation point
to the entire decade

Written By: bchris02 on 05/26/15 at 2:05 pm

2006 was like the end of an era it was ending the classic era of the 00s and shaping the present day tech era we're in now!!!

Did you have an iPad in 2006?  An iPhone?  What about a 4K HDTV?  Were you tweeting?  Was electropop a big deal?  Was Obama President?

Written By: Arrowstone on 05/26/15 at 3:23 pm

Pretty good year for me

Personal

Pop culture
. Peak of emo

Ah yes,  I was addicted to Runescape back then. But some time later, they changed some things, and then I didn't like it anymore..

I'd say Rihanna's "SOS" (though sampled from Soft Cell) is a first sign of the electropop era.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/26/15 at 3:34 pm

Ah yes,  I was addicted to Runescape back then. But some time later, they changed some things, and then I didn't like it anymore..

I'd say Rihanna's "SOS" (though sampled from Soft Cell) is a first sign of the electropop era.

I disagree. SOS isn't electropop. What about Ushers Yeah from 2004? It's dance music (which was already popular) not actual electro/techno pop. The first sign of electropop was in 2008 with Hip-Hop artists and Katy Perry releasing electropop songs.

Written By: Arrowstone on 05/26/15 at 3:47 pm

I disagree. SOS isn't electropop. What about Ushers Yeah from 2004? It's dance music (which was already popular) not actual electro/techno pop. The first sign of electropop was in 2008 with Hip-Hop artists and Katy Perry releasing electropop songs.

Well yeah of course its dance music; but to me it has the synth sounds I associate with the late 00s.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/26/15 at 3:49 pm

Well yeah of course its dance music; but to me it has the synth sounds I associate with the late 00s.

To me it doesn't at all. 2008 was the first time I heard the unique synth and techno sound. SOS sounds like an average 00's song not the super electro techno dance songs like Hot n' Cold, Poker Face, and autotuned songs.

Written By: Arrowstone on 05/26/15 at 4:03 pm

To me it doesn't at all. 2008 was the first time I heard the unique synth and techno sound. SOS sounds like an average 00's song not the super electro techno dance songs like Hot n' Cold, Poker Face, and autotuned songs.

What do you think of Timbaland - The Way I Are?

Written By: bchris02 on 05/26/15 at 4:19 pm

This.

What do you think of Timbaland - The Way I Are?

Sounds like the commercialized hip-hop-pop sound that dominated the late '00s.  Never have I associated Timbaland with the '10s or with electropop.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/28/15 at 7:48 am

I was 10 at the time, one of the best years of my childhood, I finished 4th grade and started 5th grade this year, I got and Mario Kart DS, and it was around the time I first started online gaming and I loved the new VS. mode, retro courses, and mission mode on there. I remember getting Dry Bones in that egg kart snaking with everyone around the world on there, good times. Summer 2006 I went to Disney World, it was a surprise trip and my parents didn't tell us, we stayed in a big Double Tree hotel room, and we went to the Magic Kingdom, Animal Kingdom, MGM Studios, and that last park I always forget. I remember how awesome that Space Mountain ride was it was pretty fun. I remember going to this talent show around MGM Studios and it was a bunch of people performing stunts and stuff around the ring of fire, that was slick too. I remember how when we had to go on tours and rides, there were two different lines, one for fast pass tickets and the other regular line would take hours to wait if you didn't get a fast pass ticket. I remember the good restaurants as well, and all the pictures we took with the Mickey Mouse characters and stuff. I believe during 2006 I also experience my first trip to Dave & Busters, that was pretty fun as well. Later this year for my DS I got New Super Mario Bros. (original) and Star Fox Command, and those games were pretty fye as well.

Written By: mqg96 on 05/28/15 at 8:00 am

MNF on ABC
original ABC sports
Funimation dubbing DBZ
WB became CW
old style NBA on ABC

Yeah, 2006 was a great year for me because gaming that year was pretty epic and me going to Disney World, but for TV, not so much, I remember a lot of things on TV changing throughout that year, and MNF on ABC ended that year I actually didn't know that, since I didn't really get big into sports until the late 00's, many big sitcoms ending that year really did suck, and for Cartoon Network and Disney Channel yeah that's when they started to become unwatchable. Cartoon Network got rid of their City Era and replaced it with the YES! look with those annoying red backgrounds and by then, most of the original Cartoon Cartoons were no longer there, and Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited ended in 2006 as well, then mediocre shows like My Gym Partner's A Monkey and Squirrel Boy started getting played more. For Disney Channel many of their original cartoons got cancelled and Hannah Montana/HSM had got greenlit and took over the channel. Yeah, 2006 was a bitter year for television, but I never knew it was more than that.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/21/15 at 9:21 am

Sorry, but 2006 was one of my LEAST favorite years of the 00's. It is highly overrated on this forum, and seems the be regarded as "the year that everything changed" while 2005 was still the same as the early 00's. 2006 was bland year for music and movies, like 2014. I only had 15 songs on my playlist from 2006, and about the first 5 of them were late 2005 holdovers.

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/21/15 at 9:49 am

Ahh 2006, the debut of my 2 all-time favorite shows.
http://www.toonbarn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/di-gata-defenders.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2c/Avatar_The_Last_Airbender_The_Search_Part_1_cover.png/230px-Avatar_The_Last_Airbender_The_Search_Part_1_cover.png

???

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/21/15 at 9:51 am

http://i.imgur.com/QmCWsYu.jpg

Damn, thanks for taking me back to 2006-07 era ;D

Bernie Mac Show

it's called "reruns".

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/21/15 at 11:10 am

Ahh 2006, the debut of my 2 all-time favorite shows.
http://www.toonbarn.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/di-gata-defenders.jpg
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/2/2c/Avatar_The_Last_Airbender_The_Search_Part_1_cover.png/230px-Avatar_The_Last_Airbender_The_Search_Part_1_cover.png
???

Actually, Avatar debuted on Nickelodeon in 2005.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/21/15 at 12:26 pm

2006 was fun because I was 11 years old. I'd say all the years before 2010 are equally great for me. But once 2010 hit it all went downhill from there.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/26/15 at 1:01 pm

2006 was fun because I was 11 years old. I'd say all the years before 2010 are equally great for me. But once 2010 hit it all went downhill from there.

Because of how much television sucked for you since 2010?

Written By: Slim95 on 07/26/15 at 4:05 pm

Because of how much television sucked for you since 2010?

No, I don't even watch TV.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/26/15 at 4:13 pm

No, I don't even watch TV.

Then why does everything from post-2010 suck to you?

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/26/15 at 5:13 pm

Let's see...significant memories of 2006:

I started high school in 2006.
I went on to San Antonio for the first time. It was with my school's newspaper staff, and I took pictures of the trip with my Kodak.
I began work on my high school's newspaper and seriously considered journalism as a possible career path.

Uhhhh...that's all I've got. It was a decent year, I guess.  ::)

Written By: Slim95 on 07/26/15 at 5:31 pm

Because I started getting terrible anxiety, started highschool without knowing anyone and felt alone, started getting bullied a lot, went through the tough confusing times all 15 year olds go through, and dealt with a personal loss in my family. That's why.  :P

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/26/15 at 6:43 pm

Because I started getting terrible anxiety, started highschool without knowing anyone and felt alone, started getting bullied a lot, went through the tough confusing times all 15 year olds go through, and dealt with a personal loss in my family. That's why.  :P

That's sad. I'm 15 (I was born in December 1999) and I kinda feel okay about myself now. Not completely, but at least it was better than what I have to deal with when I was 12.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/26/15 at 8:22 pm

This is a thread I posted about a year ago linking to a website with a picture gallery of New York City street shots taken around 2006-2007. It looks just like my freshman year in high school.  :D

It's interesting looking back and seeing that the hipster look started creeping in in 2006. In the pictures, you can see one guy wearing hipster glasses and a bow tie.

http://www.inthe00s.com/archive/inthe00s/smf/1402919498.shtml

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 07/26/15 at 8:46 pm

Probably becuase he got older I guess!

Written By: Shemp97 on 07/27/15 at 8:04 am

Same.

Written By: SpyroKev on 09/30/15 at 2:07 pm

My 2006 social life was great. I became fully aware of life by then. I even experienced being heart broken by my first love that I bought on to my self I kept chasing while basically ignoring other girls that seem to had a interest in me. I became attached to the apartments we moved to due to her. When we had to move, it seriously messed me up. It was a good year even with my idiotic decisions.

Check for new replies or respond here...