inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Did internet activity temporarily spike in 2009 or something?

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/16/15 at 10:16 am

With the exception of 2011 onward, 2009 has the most hits on google and Youtube featuring content from that year. From Youtube to Cnet, IGN and how-to sites, etc. 2010 doesn't get nearly as many results as 2009, as if the internet became temporarily unpoplular that year until 2011. One Youtube search I did just now brings up a stack of 2009 videos despite being a year ambiguous topic, never any of the years before, and only 2011-12 onward. Was there something special going on that year that was internet related? The internet user population back then was 1.7 billion as opposed to 3 billion+ today. Some sort of advancement happened?

Subject: Re: Did internet activity spike in 2009 or something?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/15 at 10:19 am

Google did crash when Michael Jackson died back in 2009, and eBay went crazy with sales of Michael Jackson products.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/16/15 at 10:21 am

Guess people who would've never used the internet for anything else discovered its usefulness through the MJ fiasco. Still doesn't explain the apparent 2010 slump.

Written By: yelimsexa on 06/16/15 at 12:14 pm

I feel the real spike was in 1995-96 and then a steady upward climb from there due to first the proliferation of the web to home products, then via broadband access, then to more developing countries, and then to smartphones/tablets. I feel though that around 2013 or so activity may be starting to fade to a slow/steady growing process. But part of 2009's growth could have come from the rise on smartphones/tablets around that year bringing new ways to head online. Prior to 2009, most people though of the Internet as only being accessible either in brick and mortar desktop locations, or with laptops with a limited battery supply that were also bulky. The more portable developments made it easier to access online anywhere.

Written By: Shemp97 on 06/16/15 at 1:12 pm

But part of 2009's growth could have come from the rise on smartphones/tablets around that year bringing new ways to head online.

But smartphones were around since 1994, and tablets didn't exist yet until the iPad.

Written By: Howard on 06/16/15 at 1:34 pm

Google did crash when Michael Jackson died back in 2009, and eBay went crazy with sales of Michael Jackson products.

and don't forget YouTube crashed as well, everyone was saddened by the loss.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/25/15 at 12:30 pm

But smartphones were around since 1994, and tablets didn't exist yet until the iPad.

Even though the term "smartphone" wasn't coined until 1995.

Subject: Re: Did internet activity temporarily spike in 2009 or something?

Written By: Howard on 07/25/15 at 2:08 pm

People were still using the internet after 2009.

Subject: Re: Did internet activity temporarily spike in 2009 or something?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/25/15 at 2:59 pm

People were still using the internet after 2009.

Isn't it obvious?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/30/15 at 1:19 pm

I feel the real spike was in 1995-96 and then a steady upward climb from there due to first the proliferation of the web to home products, then via broadband access, then to more developing countries, and then to smartphones/tablets. I feel though that around 2013 or so activity may be starting to fade to a slow/steady growing process. But part of 2009's growth could have come from the rise on smartphones/tablets around that year bringing new ways to head online. Prior to 2009, most people though of the Internet as only being accessible either in brick and mortar desktop locations, or with laptops with a limited battery supply that were also bulky. The more portable developments made it easier to access online anywhere.

Well, a lot of people didn't really had Internet in 1995/96. I think in urban and suburban areas, most people have the Internet in the mid 90s. I'm just saying. Also, not all laptops had bulky laptops before 2009. I had a HP laptop from 2008 that didn't really had a bulky battery. It fit my laptop perfectly.

Check for new replies or respond here...