inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do you miss the "old Family Guy"?

Written By: Zelek on 07/05/15 at 11:17 am

Family guy is a pretty divisive show. If you say "I love family guy" on the Internet, someone will probably shoot back at you "You're an idiot for liking that show. Go watch South Park, it's for people who have a brain." And if you've only seen seasons 4-present, it's rather easy to see why. The characters are cruel, gags go on for unholy amounts of time, 95% cutaway gags, repeating the same jokes episode after episode, and stiff animation.

But do you miss the early 2000s, when it was sort of ok? I was watching the first Christmas special and I was shocked what a different show it used to be. The humor, though still "out there," had a much more human element to it, the story was much much more cohesive, and the cutaways were almost always relevant. The direction was more interesting, taken from a bunch of different angles, the characters were far more believable (especially Lois, who reacted in realistic ways to the family members), and it was simply a lot funnier than its gotten lately.

It was more of a typical family sitcom, with cliches "played straight". For example, the part where Lois and Meg look at the star on the Christmas tree and Lois talks about all the joy and wonder in the world. If they did that scene now, Lois would've probably made some snarky remark.

There were dirty jokes, yes, but there were also clean jokes to balance it out. I'm not a prude, but when you heap sex joke after sex joke on one another. And there was an actual plot the entire episode and LIMITED cutaway gags. The animation wasn't perfect, but at least it tried to maintain some level of fluidity, unlike seasons 5+ where it's very crappy and stiff. And most of the characters were likeable.

I think it was still hit and miss back then, but it's better than now where it's an abomination (imo).

Subject: Re: Do you miss the "old Family Guy"?

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 6:39 am

To me, Family Guy started going down the drain around the early 2010s, which was when the show actually started to get cringe-worthy and made the most piss-poor jokes. It just questions to everyone on why is it still on Fox?

Written By: Howard on 07/17/15 at 7:03 am

To me, Family Guy started going down the drain around the early 2010s, which was when the show actually started to get cringe-worthy and made the most piss-poor jokes. It just questions to everyone on why is it still on Fox?

cause it continues to be entertaining.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 7:15 am

cause it continues to be entertaining.

Nobody likes Family Guy nowadays. Most people on the Internet right now wants the show to be dead. It's the same with The Simpsons.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/17/15 at 6:00 pm

Nobody likes Family Guy nowadays. Most people on the Internet right now wants the show to be dead. It's the same with The Simpsons.

For me the frog clip from Family Guy, where Peter struggles to throw a frog out of the window, in a box, was when it jumped the shark to me. This was like 2007/2008!

So for me 'old' Family Guy is 2008 and before.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/17/15 at 6:13 pm

For me the frog clip from Family Guy, where Peter struggles to throw a frog out of the window, in a box, was when it jumped the shark to me. This was like 2007/2008!

So for me 'old' Family Guy is 2008 and before.

Yeah, I agree. Modern Family Guy started around 2008/2009. It's been like that ever since.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/15 at 7:00 am

Yeah, I agree. Modern Family Guy started around 2008/2009. It's been like that ever since.

and Family Guy has been on the air for 17 years. :o

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/18/15 at 8:15 am

and Family Guy has been on the air for 17 years. :o

Well, almost 17 years. The pilot for the show aired around January of 1999.

Written By: Howard on 07/18/15 at 5:57 pm

Well, almost 17 years. The pilot for the show aired around January of 1999.

I think Family Guy could have some more few years of lasting power.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/01/17 at 7:48 pm

I relate most to Meg and Peter Griffin in Family Guy. So I can be both the a$$hole and the insecure person.  :P

Check for new replies or respond here...