inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wannabe punk look in the early 2000s

Written By: XYkid on 07/23/15 at 4:23 pm

I noticed from about 1999 to 2005, skater and pop punk culture was really popular, and a lot of people were wearing cargo pants, converse/vans, dickies, studded belts, spiked hair, camo print anything.
I wonder if this look will come back.

Subject: Re: Wannabe punk look in the early 2000s

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/15 at 4:57 pm

Well, since we live in a time where the 90s are considered to be nostalgic, I guess we can say that wannabe punk culture could be revived by 90s kids. IDK

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/23/15 at 5:50 pm

Well since nostalgia usually works by 20 year periods (80's nostalgia in the 00's, 90's in 10's) and since this trend was popular for most of the late 90's/early 00's I would assume 2018ish?

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/23/15 at 8:51 pm

Do we really have to talk about bringing back a certain look just because its approaching it's 20-year anniversary? Not every retro fad needs to be revived. Jesus.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/15 at 8:54 pm

Do we really have to talk about bringing back a certain look just because its approaching it's 20-year anniversary? Not every retro fad needs to be revived. Jesus.

Well, the 90s are the nostalgic decade for the 2010s. So, why not?

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/23/15 at 9:13 pm

Well, the 90s are the nostalgic decade for the 2010s. So, why not?

Why not try to be a little more original and stop reviving stuff for the sake of reviving it?

Take the grunge look. In the '90s, it was fresh and new. In the '10s, it's gimmicky and costume-ish (at least the way I see it). I just want to see something fresh for a change.

Written By: Baltimoreian on 07/23/15 at 9:16 pm

Why not try to be a little more original and stop reviving stuff for the sake of reviving it?

Well if you really don't like people reviving stuff from past decades, then why can't you come up with ideas to spark up this decade? I mean, we have 4 and a half years left until the 2010s end.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/23/15 at 9:20 pm

Well if you really don't like people reviving stuff from past decades, then why can't you come up with ideas to spark up this decade? I mean, we have 4 and a half years left until the 2010s end.

Perhaps if I had any sway in the fashion industry, I'd do just that...  :(

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/23/15 at 9:41 pm

I am ashamed of myself, but there is a time when I practically lived in Hot Topic. I loved Green Day and My Chemical Romance and Panic at the Disco and Trapt and Evanescence. I was all over that kind of music. Puddle of Mudd, it was outrageous.
I was trying to wear all black and chains and spikes.
There's a picture of me at about 15 or so with my black and chains and spikes on. Made my mother miss Michael Jackson for a while.  ;D

But eventually, while I still enjoy rock immensely, my look...softened. LOL.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/23/15 at 9:46 pm

Back on topic...

I spiked my hair sometimes during the early '00s, and I started wearing chain jewelry around my neck around 2002 or '03, so I dabbled in that look as well.  ::)

In the late '00s, I bought some of those rubber bracelets from Hot Topic that were pretty popular during the mid-to-late '00s and wore them to school on occasion. I'm not sure if that's the same "punk look" we're talking about, though.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 07/23/15 at 9:49 pm

Take the grunge look. In the '90s, it was fresh and new. In the '10s, it's gimmicky and costume-ish (at least the way I see it). I just want to see something fresh for a change.

Not trying to be 'that guy' but every decade revives something from the past. For instance while yes the grunge look was the 90's the flannel shirt was something that was worn for the most part in the 70's. So the 90's teens/young adults who were nostalgic brought back flannel which resulted in the grunge look.

The same could be said with today as many former 90's kids, who are now in their 20's & early 30's, brought back the grunge and flannel look from the 90's and modernized which resulted in the hipster look today.

So in a way borrowing certain elements or sometimes certain brands are something that just as part of the evolution as new fashion trends themselves.

Written By: Mat1991 on 07/23/15 at 10:02 pm

Not trying to be 'that guy' but every decade revives something from the past. For instance while yes the grunge look was the 90's the flannel shirt was something that was worn for the most part in the 70's. So the 90's teens/young adults who were nostalgic brought back flannel which resulted in the grunge look.

The same could be said with today as many former 90's kids, who are now in their 20's & early 30's, brought back the grunge and flannel look from the 90's and modernized which resulted in the hipster look today.

So in a way borrowing certain elements or sometimes certain brands are something that just as part of the evolution as new fashion trends themselves.

Fair enough.

Written By: XYkid on 07/24/15 at 1:18 pm

Take the grunge look. In the '90s, it was fresh and new. In the '10s, it's gimmicky and costume-ish (at least the way I see it). I just want to see something fresh for a change.hoo
Nothing's new under the sun, every idea ever has probably been at least thought of at least once

Written By: Arrowstone on 07/24/15 at 2:46 pm

There are still bunches of "alternative" people wearing those clothes. Less than some years ago though.

Written By: XYkid on 07/25/15 at 12:18 am

There are still bunches of "alternative" people wearing those clothes. Less than some years ago though.
I still do :P

Check for new replies or respond here...